kickstart-coding-logo

Kickstart Coding

Oakland

Kickstart Coding

Kickstart Coding offers a part-time, 4-month full-stack coding bootcamp in Oakland, California. The curriculum consists of two sequential phases: Kickstart Backend (a rigorous Python class) and Kickstart Frontend (a crash course on modern JavaScript practices and React JS). Lessons consist of a varied mix of lectures, guided hands-on activities, and group project work.

Kickstart Coding looks for serious learners who are passionate about learning in an inclusive and collaborative environment. No prior coding experience is necessary.

The Kickstart Coding team has built a no-nonsense curriculum and is careful to exclude outdated information, and promotes trending technologies, good practices, and projects that challenge students. Instructors have decades of combined industry and teaching experience and have worked at companies like Google, Facebook, Salesforce, Microsoft, and more. For those seeking a career change, Kickstart Coding also provides extra time for coaching to help students become competitive candidates in the Bay Area tech industry.

Recent Kickstart Coding Reviews: Rating 5.0

all (4) reviews for Kickstart Coding →

Recent Kickstart Coding News

• $4000 for 4 months part time - Full-Stack Coding

Oakland
      The most affordable & up-to-date full stack bootcamp curriculum. Students can keep their work/life balance in check while learning Python, HTML, CSS, React, and more. - Rigorous curriculum - 4 total projects and weekly cheatsheets & quizes to prep you for a massive skill boost and career change - No laptop required - You are provided a fully tuned-up dev laptop to take home on Day 1 - Inclusive and positive learning environments are the #1 priority
      $250
      Lenient, transparent payment plan: Students pay they go (credit card accepted)
      Refund / Guarantee
      Rebates available for paying up front and for taking the course with a friend.
      Students are tested based on passion for learning and ability to learn in class as opposed to prior coding knowledge.
      Interview

• Shane LeBlanc  User Photo
      Shane LeBlanc • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

KickStart Coding's Full Stack program helped me level up from a curious novice to a confident, advanced level Developer. I am more ready than ever to apply to jobs, and with the project work completed during the program, I now have a portfolio to prove my skills.

Michael and Steve are super easy-going and helpful dudes, they focused on making this program as inclusive as possible (even offering laptops for those without one), and as such, they were ready and happy to answer any questions. The attitude and personality of the instructors curated an environment that I was excited to show up for and learn in.

Code review was, in my opinion, one of the most helpful parts of the mentorship -- after each assignment, Michael would take a red pen to a screenshot of my code, and not just tell me to do something differently, but why I should do it differently, even linking to a standard (e.g. a Python PEP) when relevant. Another positive is that he avoids "just doing it for you", but would gladly provide code snippets or examples to help you along.

During the cohort, I gained full confidence in my ability to develop with JavaScript + React.js, and Python + Django. We didn't simply learn language syntax and frameworks; The curriculum also covered algorithms, computer science fundamentals, abstract data types, Agile methodology, and interview skills.

In summary, I couldn't be happier with my choice of boot camps, I walked away knowing so much more, and not to mention, the price of the boot camp was more reasonable than literally any other option in the bay area.  These guys have made something special and I am really glad that I got to experience it.

• Toti • Graduate

When I moved back to San Francisco, I needed to update my technical skills to transition back into the tech industry. I researched several coding boot camps in the Bay Area and came across Kickstart Coding (KSC). Although Kickstart Coding did not have that many online reviews, I found out that Michael Bethencourt, KSC founder, is a former instructor of the coding boot camp program at UC Berkeley Extension prior to founding his own boot camp. I got interested and decided to attend one of the free informational sessions in Oakland and got to meet Michael where he gave an introductory course in coding.

I was immediately impressed by his simplified delivery of complicated computer science concepts, his lively methodology, and above all, his passion for teaching. He revealed how he always desired to develop a coding boot camp program that is accessible to everyone and can provide new opportunities to aspiring developers.  With his entrepreneurial creativity, he achieved his goal by sharing classroom space / resources, and collaborating openly with others which made KickStart Coding the most affordable Coding Bootcamp (70%-80% lower than SF-based live coding bootcamps) with a topnotch curriculum in the Bay Area. And they even provide a free laptop loaner if you don't have one!

After researching a number of bootcamps in SF, I applied and enrolled eventually at Kickstart Coding because of what they offer: most up-to-date and comprehensive curriculum (python, django, javascript, node.js and react-focused), industry-attuned didactic structure, and impact-oriented mission of inclusivity, affordability, diversity, and collaboration.

In 8 weeks, we covered a lot and I learned so much about backend programming. The program provided the back end programming fundamentals and core programming concepts including Python, Django, Bootstrap, HTML, CSS, Object-Oriented Programming (OOP), Model-View-Controller Framework (MVC), Command Line Interface (CLI), Graphical User Interface (GUI), Application Programming Interface (API), Servers, Create-Read-Update-Delete (CRUD API), Pipenv, Virtualenv, Jinja2, Modules, Templating, Forms, Automated Testing, Postgresql, SQL, Git, Bash, Github, Heroku. I built my own web apps and portfolio projects.

The team is truly remarkable. Michael is a Python coding guru and an open-source and free-software activist.  He always made sure that everyone feels welcome regardless of their background. In such a short time, I learned so much from him. He provided us with weekly review sheets enabling us to focus on the most important programming topics. His teammates, Mark and Maddy were always there to help if there are chokepoints or areas that need to be clarified. Mark is the KSC associate instructor and a "coding ninja". He's quiet but super talented in coding. He was very patient in clarifying the concepts and helped us tremendously during the review sessions. He gave us tips on how to approach a problem to develop better solutions. Likewise, Maddy, KSC teaching assistant, was always there to assist and help us to understand the project assignments.

Recently, I completed the backend programming. I would have wanted to continue the front-end programming course for the next 8 weeks which focuses on Javascript, React, and MERN. However, after completing the backend module at Kickstart Coding, I received a 1-year contract job in a top tech company and I had to put on hold taking the front-end programming module. I am glad that I took the leap to enroll at Kickstart Coding. Not only did Michael help me transition into the tech field, but he willingly became a professional reference and wrote my recommendation.  If you are looking into live coding boot camps in the Bay Area, I highly recommend to give Michael a call or attend one of the free coding introductory sessions. Thank you Kickstart Coding. You are truly awesome!

• Errin M. • Junior Frontend Developer • Graduate

I come from a zero-tech background. I wanted to build an app. Michael said he could teach me that, so I signed up.

I’m not going to lie. This bootcamp was hard. For a tech newbie with a full-time job and family, the time commitment is intense. I was often frustrated. I cried, a lot. I secretly thought that I shouldn’t have been admitted to the course.

But I came out the other end as a web developer – with a new job. That hadn’t even been my goal, and you couldn’t find anybody more surprised than me!

I couldn’t have afforded the time or money to take a traditional bootcamp. I never would have tried. Kickstart Coding made it possible for me to learn these skills, and it’s no exaggeration to say that it changed the trajectory of my career, and possibly my life. Michael is an excellent and engaging teacher, as are TA’s Maddy and Mark, and I owe them a debt of gratitude.

5 stars for Kickstart – well worth your money.

• Awesome Bootcamp
      - 5/8/2019

I knew absolutely nothing about engineering and I walked out 4 months later knowing the latest and greatest tools in web development.