ku-boot-camps-logo

KU Boot Camps

KU Boot Camps

University of Kansas Boot Camps are 24-week, part-time web development, data analytics, and cybersecurity courses offered in Overland Park, Kansas. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Java, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, Node.js, Database Theory, MongoDB, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. The data analytics curriculum covers a broad array of technologies like programming in Excel, Python, JavaScript (D3.js, Leaflet.js), HTML/CSS, API Interactions, SQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, Machine Learning, R, Git/GitHub, and more. The cybersecurity curriculum includes networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

The boot camps are designed with the most in-demand market needs in mind and deliver a dynamic learning experience through the help of expert instructors and TAs. Whether students choose to pursue web development, data analytics, or cybersecurity, they’ll be immersed in an intensive educational experience. Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. KU Boot Camps are designed for students and professionals or who are actively pursuing a career change, advancement or are looking to learn a new skill.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, one-on-one career coaching, and recruiting advice. Graduates will receive a Certificate of Completion from the University of Kansas Professional & Continuing Education and will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, data analytics, or cybersecurity.

KU Boot Camps are powered by Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent KU Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.92

all (13) reviews for KU Boot Camps →

Recent KU Boot Camps News

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time

Kansas City
    At the Cybersecurity Boot Camp, students get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture. The Cybersecurity Bootcamp is a challenging, part-time program that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security, throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks.
  • Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time

Kansas City
    This program is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Students will gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau, and more. Applicants do not need experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Throughout the course, students will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more—allowing them to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Full-Stack Flex - Part-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    Kansas City
    University of Kansas Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.

2 Scholarships

• $500 KU Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive KU Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (Kansas City)
  • $500 KU Boot Camps Scholarship

• Cybersecurity - Part-Time (Kansas City)

• Bhargavi Pasarlapati  User Photo
    Bhargavi Pasarlapati • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

Before I enrolled myself in this program, I looked into a variety of options including online courses, but working full time, the online courses were not motivating enough for me. The instructors in this course are knowledgeble about the subject and the TAs are extremely helpful and always willing to make things work out for me. I have learnt a ton of new stuff since I have been in this program and loving it. There is a lot of additional hours required to be put in which is not easy especially with working full time and having a family of young children. But the advisor and the TAs are very supportive and encouraging throughout making it easier to get through the course. You'll have to come prepared that just sitting in the classroom will not help, and be willing to put in few extra hours a week outside of the sessions.All in all, this is a great course and everyone here wants you to succeed in learning.

Thursday, Jul 11 2019
    Thank you for your review, Bhargavi! We're so happy that your network of support has motivated you throughout the course so far. We know that enrolling in a boot camp is a big decision that requires a big time commitment, which is why we're here for you every step of the way. As you mentioned, this is an intense course, so we're proud of your progress and are cheering you on as you continue towards completing the program!
  • Travis Morris  User Photo
    Travis Morris • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I recently completed the full stack bootcamp, and all I can think is, "Why didn't I do this sooner?" The classes were super fun and I learned a ton! They do a great job providing you with everything you need to be successful, even if you have no idea what to do going in. I'm glad I committed to taking this course, and am excited for where my new life will take me.

Monday, Jun 24 2019
    Thanks, Travis! We're happy to hear you had a positive student experience and enjoyed the program. Congratulations on successfully graduating, we wish you the best in all your coding endeavors!
  • Anthony Alfano  User Photo
    Anthony Alfano • Pricing Analyst • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

This boot camp was a very challenging class that comes with a high reward.  I attended class between February and August 2018, and have been sold on the program ever since.  Upon completion of the course, I signed up as a teacher's aide and am in the middle of my 2nd term in this role.

I've told individuals on countless occasions that I learned more in that 7 month stretch than I learned in my 4-year undergraduate degree.  It was well worth the investment in myself as I started a new full-time job as a pricing analyst just weeks after graduating, and quickly found that I was well prepared for the challenge that comes with a new role.

Prior to the class, I was the resident excel expert at work, and had a minimal amount of VBA scripting experience that was applicable.  It was a tough class that definitely put up a fight, but it was the appropriate level of difficulty to keep you engaged and learning throughout all 240 hours of class.  Three to four hour long classes flew by, as the class is formatted with a 10-15 minute lecture followed by an in-class activity, which really breaks up the monotony.

A worthwhile experience if you're a relentless individual who is willing to go through the grind.

Thursday, Jun 20 2019
    Way to go, Anthony! We're thrilled you learned the fundamentals of data analytics and landed an exciting new role following the completion of the program. We completely agree that if you're willing to put in the work, you can succeed. Congratulations on graduating, we appreciate your review and returning to TA for us! All the best moving forward.
  • Life Changing
    - 6/6/2019
    Tim Lukens  User Photo
    Tim Lukens • Application Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I wanna start by saying that I dropped out of high school in the ninth grade after deciding school wasn't really for me. I decided to get my G.E.D. and started working random jobs that never made me happy. I had always enjoyed building websites, but never thought at any point that I could make a career out of it.

Before going into the program I had a couple of years of JavaScript, HTML, and CSS from different courses online. I would say that the foundation that built was helpful, but the KU Coding Bootcamp helped to solidify those skills and taught me way more in 24 weeks, than I learned in those 2 years on my own.

After 1 month of graduating the program and receiving my certificate I received a job offer that doubled my old jobs rate of pay.

I had to work for it, but the career services department was really helpful, and the instructors and teaching assistants were always available anytime I needed assistance. I can't say this will work for everyone, but if you truely apply yourself and give it your all it can be life changing.

Friday, Jun 07 2019
    Amazing, Tim! We appreciate you choosing our program to make a significant career change. We're happy to hear you were able to solidify and further develop your web development skills with the help of our entire team. Congratulations on successfully completing the course and landing an exciting new role! We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
  • Jay  User Photo
    Jay • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I'm am so glad I took this course. I had a basic understanding before I came in and now I have expanded my skills so much! I never would've learned what I know now on my own. The inclass session with a teacher is a huge help. Plus learning from your fellow classmates and working on group projects. They were great on getting us ready for the job market.

Tuesday, May 14 2019
    Thank you for your review, Jay! We're happy to hear the program helped you further develop your existing skills and that you benefited from our in-class instructional support. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the best moving forward!
  • Worth it!
    - 4/11/2019
    Giovanni Rigters  User Photo
    Giovanni Rigters • Student Verified via GitHub
    Having a couple of years of experience in digital marketing, I see how being able to analyze and visualize data is becoming increasingly more important. Many aspects of digital marketing are also becoming more automated, which frees up time to actually perform more data analysis tasks.

That being said, I have friends in IT and others that went through a data science bootcamp who I talk to and they advised me to try it out and gain some additional skills which will make me stand out.

The bootcamp is challenging, but also very fun. It's fast paced and every class I learn something new. I also like the fact that we have a teacher and TA's who are in the industry, so we are getting first hand knowledge of what the current business world is looking for.

My favorite aspect of the bootcamp is not only the applicable knowledge we gain in six months, but also the support we receive from career services who helps me to become employer competitive, by giving much needed advice on resumes, updating LinkedIn profiles, mock up interviews, and more.

Advice to anyone thinking about taking the bootcamp is to get prepared that the bootcamp will be programming heavy for the first half and to do the bare minimum of googling the topics covered in the curriculum.
    Friday, Apr 12 2019
    Way to go, Giovanni! We're thrilled you chose our program to further your career and learn new data analytics skills. It's great to hear you are enjoying the curriculum and feeling supported by our entire team. We look forward to helping you through the completion of the boot camp and seeing what you will achieve as you continue unlocking new opportunities!
  • Jacqueline • Front End Developer • Graduate

Before I started this course, I had a decent understanding of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. I believe this really helped me in this course. This program offers a wonderful introduction to the world of web development. However this is a huge time commitment, the recommended 20 hours is not enough, I personally spent closer to 30 hours a week. I learned a lot though. I was able to land a job within a month of graduating, and most of my friends in the class had similar success. ​

Friday, Jun 07 2019
    Thank you, Jacqueline! Like you mentioned, this program will require an extensive amount of time to master the topics covered, so we commend all the hard work you dedicated. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you continued success on your new career path!
  • Patrick Kearney • Project Manager • Graduate

The Full-Stack Web Flex Part-Time program is an outstanding introduction into web development. The material covered is extremely current, the instructors are incredibly knowledgeable, and the teaching assistants are really capable to meet the students’ learning needs. The balance between material on the front-end and back-end of web development is good and students graduating from the program, who have put in the time to really study the material, are well prepared to pick up new material on their own afterward.

Potential students should be warned that this course is a real time commitment. The ten hours of official instruction per week will generally need to be supplemented with up to twenty hours of outside study per week. That said, the program is a lot of fun, and it is really motivating to be surrounded by so many other people seeking to change their lives by learning to code.

The career services offered through the program are good for younger students, who may have never received previous career coaching.  However, they could definitely be improved for older students, who may not want to jettison their previous work accomplishments for a complete restart in web-development.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    Thank you for sharing your review, Patrick! We're glad you enjoyed the curriculum and found our instructional team to be knowledgeable. Like you mentioned, prospective students should take into account that this program requires extensive commitment and time outside of class to master the complex concepts.

Our goal is for all participants to complete the course feeling equipped for success as they step out into the job market, providing ample support for those individuals who may have more professional experience, like yourself, so we truly appreciate your feedback. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the best in your future aspirations!
  • Best Decision
    - 2/15/2019
    Jackie Nguyen • Software Developer • Applicant

This course was everything I'd hoped for it to be. There is a lot of material in the course that were all relevant to current technology. So you know what you're learning is relevant to today's standards. It's impossible to learn everything about a specific language. However, the course gave me the tools to continue learning on my own and excel in the field.

Friday, Feb 15 2019
    Thank you so much for your review, Jackie! We're thrilled you enjoyed the curriculum and feel confident learning new web development skills on your own. Congratulations on graduating, we are cheering you on as you move forward!
  • Well worth it !
    - 2/14/2019
    Jeff Karr • Graduate

After a year of taking online courses to improve my skills, I decided to totally commit to a 6 month Full Stack Web Development course. It was the right decision for me! The course is loaded with information about many relevant topics that web developers need to understand. There is a lot of information presented in each class so consistent attendance is critical. The instructors and TAs are very knowledgeable and helpful. But, be prepared to put in a lot of study and coding time in order to understand and apply the new information. If you want to be prepared for a job search after graduation, take advantage of the Career Services training that is offered. I think that for all of the training and support that is offered, this program offers an excellent value for the student. I would recommend this course to a friend who is serious about developing their skills.

Thursday, Feb 14 2019
    Amazing, Jeff! We're happy to hear you enjoyed the curriculum and utilized all of the boot camp's resources. Like you mentioned, prospective students have to be prepared to study hard in order to truly master the course material. Congratulations on graduating, we appreciate you sharing your experience! We wish you all the best as you continue on in your career.
  • Kelsey Gasser • Back-end web developer • Graduate

I graduated the KU bootcamp last July and was hired as a back-end web developer shortly after. The bootcamp changed my life. I made so many new friends while I was learning new skills and have connections for a lifetime, and it was really engaging to be there in person vs doing an online coding course or bootcamp. To me, the reputable certificate, the connections and the engagement made it well worth the money and time to go vs teaching myself at home. Their content and resources covered more than I could have dreamed in just six months and I feel it made me confident and prepared for my new job. My professors and TA’s were supportive, knowledgeable and great to work with. I’m so glad I went!

Tuesday, Feb 12 2019
    Way to go, Kelsey! We're glad you enjoyed the program as a whole and made lifelong connections. Congratulations on graduating and starting an exciting new career path! We are rooting you on as you continue forward.
  • Victor • Student

Kansas City Coding Bootcamp is an excellent choice for students who want to jump into Full-Stack Web Development. The first day was a classroom building exercise to bond with each other and network with one another. It was great I made quite a few friends in here that I have been learning with since the beginning of the course. The structure of the curriculum is on a higher difficulty and can be daunting. The resources that are available to you are top-notch and all of it is available to you after you graduate. The key advice is that the more time you put into it the more you will get out if it and not to sit there and struggle by yourself when you have peers and teachers who can help and do their job which is to teach you.

Tuesday, Oct 30 2018
    Thank you so much for your review, Victor! We are thrilled you developed a real sense of community with your classmates and enjoyed the team building. You're completely right that the curriculum is difficult, but utilizing the boot camp's resources and putting in time outside of class will truly help you succeed. We commend all of your hard work and wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
  • Anonymous • Software Developer

I signed up for this course because I wanted to learn development and this course is taught at a state university (though not through the university).

My experience:
    Day 1 and you jump right in. You have about an hour of introduction and then you get your machines set up. This was supposed to be done before the class, but was either not done correctly by the students or they ran into issues. The aides and instructor went around the room and helped to set everyone up. The same class you learn a bit about the command line and some simple HTML. The speed at which this class goes is incredible. You will feel lost, you will struggle, but you will also learn.

What you learn:
    Some of the things that were taught an/or required in projects: HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JavaScript, jQuery, Moment.js, Firebase, Node.js, Express.js, MySQL, Handlebars.js, Sequelize, MongoDB, and React. I've sincle learned that things such as Flutter and Vue have made their way into the course.

Prework:
    While it's not required to do any pre-work other than the very simple stuff that they assign you, I would advise that any students signing up for this complete the HTML, CSS, and JavaScript Codecademy courses to get a good grasp on the foundations.

Projects:
    You are assigned about a project a week and the project will be about the stuff that you learned in the class that week. These are doable projects, but most WILL challenge you. Good news is that these projects can go into a portfolio and employers love to see examples of code that you did.

They do offer job assistance, but it's far from ideal. I had the worst career services person while I was there. She is now no longer with KU so I'm sure it could only have improved. The career services offered included things like resume cleanup, interview practice, and things of that nature. The did't have job placement.

Are you job ready afterwards?
    I would say that you are for entry-level jobs. This can be quite the challenge, but I did get several offers within my first 3-4 months of completing the bootcamp. This seems like it was pretty standard. Of my class, only one person took more than 6 months to find a job that I know of. Most people don't get jobs with exactly what you learned, but they're easy transitions. Some students got jobs in C#, PHP, Java, or even working in a CMS.

Drop out number:
    The class started with about 22-24 students and ended with about 14-15 by the end of it. Most of the students that dropped out did so during the first 2 months. There were a few that dropped out as time went on and some of those because they already had jobs and didn't want to give their time to the class after.

Time committment:
    I personally spent the 10 hours in class and about 20 hours outside of class each week. Those 20 hours was divided between completing the projects they ask you to and hours that I spent watching videos and reviewing class content. This may have been more than necessary, but I feel that I got a good value out of the class.

Overall:
    I would 100% recommend this course for anyone wanting to learn web development or coding in a short amount of time.

*I was a student and do not work for Trilogy though I don't think I'd mind being a tutor or TA for the program.

Wednesday, Apr 10 2019
    We appreciate you sharing your experience! Great advice for prospective students — completing the prework is a great way to get a grasp of the foundations prior to beginning the program. We are happy to hear that you learn a wide-range of new skills, benefited from the hands-on projects, and felt job ready at the end of the course.

From your review, we understand you were unhappy with your career services experience. Like you mentioned, while we work hard to prepare learners to step out into the job market, we do not secure direct employment. We help individuals become employer competitive through a variety of resources and tools, including technical interview training, portfolio reviews, resume/social media profile support, and one-on-one coaching with their Career Director. We hope you were able to benefit from these resources.

We're constantly refining our professional development curriculum to best equip participants as they step out into the industry, so we truly appreciate your feedback. We’d love to hear from you directly to see what else we can do at this time to help you feel equipped for success. If you would like, please reach out to us directly at (913) 439-1919. Congratulations on successfully completing the boot camp, we wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors!