juno-college-of-technology-logo

Juno College of Technology

Toronto

Juno College of Technology

Juno College of Technology offers a 9-week, full-time web development immersive, and an 8-week, part-time web development course in Toronto, Canada. Juno’s full-time Web Development Immersive bootcamp covers HTML5 & CSS3, responsive design, JavaScript, jQuery, API and WordPress as well as non-technical skills like personal branding, finding and managing clients, and growing a business. Juno's part-time courses are Web Development Fundamentals & Advanced Web Development, JavaScript Fundamentals & Advanced JavaScript, UX Fundamentals & Advanced UX, and a Full-Stack Masterclass. Part-time classes run in the evenings, twice a week for 8 weeks or on weekends, once a week for 8 weeks. The programs focus on hands-on, project-based learning from industry-leading professionals with small classes and a 10:1 ratio of students to instructors. By the end of the web development programs, students have a great website and portfolio, and the knowledge, tools, and skills needed to succeed as developers.

Juno College of Technology is ideal for people looking to climb the corporate ladder, upgrade their skills, or start a new career. Prospective applicants will need to fill out an online form describing their background and experience, and participate in a video or in-person interview. For the full-time immersive course, students should have a high school diploma or equivalent, and demonstrate knowledge of HTML and CSS.

For job seekers, Juno helps students craft a technical resume, nail an interview, and negotiate their salary via career coaching. The curriculum covers personal branding and how to position yourself to employers. At the end of the course, Juno College of Technology hosts Industry Day where students can network with hiring partners and showcase their portfolios.

Recent Juno College of Technology Reviews: Rating 4.98

all (207) reviews for Juno College of Technology →

Recent Juno College of Technology News

Read all (5) articles about Juno College of Technology →
  • Custom Theme Development

HTML, Design, CSS, Wordpress
    LocationToronto
    Our Custom Theme Development course is designed to help talented developers unlock the potential of WordPress and Shopify. Together these two content management systems power a huge portion of the world’s websites, including giants like The New Yorker, BBC, and Glossier. Understanding how to adapt and work in these platforms is now crucial to working in many agency environments or as a freelancer. This course brings together a diverse group of developers, all ready to level up their skills by learning in-demand content management systems. Whether you’re looking to land an agency position or diversify the services you offer your clients, the ability to create customized web experiences will help you succeed and make more money.
    Minimum Skill LevelStrong understanding of the basics of HTML & CSS is required to take this course.
  • Data Foundations

LocationToronto
    Data Foundations is an entry-level course unlike any other offered in Toronto, designed to teach you functional data literacy - the understanding of how data and analytics fit into your day-to-day work, an increasingly in-demand skill in today’s data-driven society. If you work in a role with access to data, but aren’t sure how to use it, this course will give you the understanding of data you need to start making strategic decisions. Data Foundations brings together a diverse group of people from a variety of backgrounds and industries, all eager to better understand the data they work with. At Juno, we’re committed to providing an inclusive, safe classroom for all that choose to learn with us. And a welcoming one! From the moment you walk into your first class you’ll be a member of the warm Juno community of staff, students, and alumni.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis beginner-friendly course is for problem-solvers who want to learn how to make more informed and strategic decisions in their day-to-day work.
  • Full-Stack Masterclass

MongoDB, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Express.js, React.js, Node.js
    LocationToronto
    This course is made for developers committed to doing what it takes to level up. Through six-hours of weekly lessons, you’ll able to really dig in and explore complex concepts every class. Lessons are supplemented by mentored office hours once a week. We’ve perfected the course schedule to ensure an engaging and intensive experience that can be balanced with a full-time job. This unique course is designed to fill in gaps and push developers to level up, while preparing them for the next stage in their career. From scope outline to deployment, your in-class learning will be focused on real world skills through the creation of a single-page web application.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis course is ideal for Bootcamp graduates (whether you attended Juno College’s Program or another one), and self-taught developers.
  • JavaScript

HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS
    LocationToronto
    This JavaScript course is a unique offering in Toronto. Nowhere else can you join a classroom of people focused specifically on learning JavaScript. Since HTML & CSS are a prerequisite, you’ll dive right into JavaScript and spend 48 in-class hours mastering curriculum that is regularly updated to ensure you’re learning the best, most relevant programming topics. Learn how to add more depth to your websites in our JavaScript course. You'll start with learning the basics of functional programming including objects, arrays, and jQuery. You’ll then cover APIs, AJAX, and promises, among other topics. You will leave this course with the perfect addition to your front-end skillset.
  • React

React.js
    LocationToronto
    In our React course, you’ll gain a foundational understanding of this powerful library and key industry-standards designed to level-up your JavaScript workflow. In this course, we'll cover React fundamentals and best practices before diving into advanced topics like Hooks and Testing. Whether you’re already working with React or a novice JavaScript developer ready to learn a new framework, you'll leave this course with new skills under your belt. React brings together a diverse group of people from a variety of backgrounds and industries, all eager to improve their JavaScript skills with this dynamic library. At Juno, we’re committed to providing an inclusive, safe classroom for all that choose to learn with us. And a welcoming one! From the moment you walk into your first class you’ll be a member of the warm Juno community of staff, students, and alumni.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis course is for anyone looking to use React to level up their JavaScript skill set and improve their workflows.
  • UX Design

Design, User Experience Design
    LocationToronto
    Our UX Design course is designed for those working as designers or developers, as well as alumni of our part-time web development courses. While your learnings in this course remain rooted in user experience and user interaction principles, we will also dive deep into learning how people think. Your in-class exercises and projects will hold the human at the core of all concepts being learned. At the end of this course you’ll have two original, portfolio-worthy projects that solve real-world problem using design thinking. Your first portfolio project will tackle the myriad of problems that arise with transit in a major city. In your second project given full autonomy to propose a solution to one of today's "wicked" problems - a problem so big that it seems unsolvable. With both projects, you’ll go beyond wire-framing and digital design tooling and tackle the heart of each issue, the human experience.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis course is perfect for people working as designers or developers, as well as graduates of our part-time courses.
  • Web Development

HTML, CSS
    LocationToronto
    Our Web Development course is designed for tech-savvy beginners - no prior experience is necessary. Each class is exercise-heavy, and our 10:1 student-to-instructor ratio means personalized attention: you won’t ever feel left behind. Our take-home exercises and coding challenges are designed to continually sharpen your skills. You’ll leave this course with transferable skills including the ability to build responsive HTML & CSS websites. Our flagship introductory course will provide you with the knowledge to create impactful front-end web experiences.
    ScholarshipNeeds-Based Scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelThis course is designed for beginners.
  • Web Development Immersive (Bootcamp)

HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Front End
    LocationToronto
    At Juno College’s 9-week Bootcamp Program, you’ll learn HTML5, CSS3, responsive design, JavaScript, jQuery, APIs, React and Firebase–all the skills you need to become a junior web developer. Our Web Development Immersive Bootcamp does more than help people change careers, it changes lives. We're the experts in helping people with non-technical backgrounds build careers as web developers, and if you’re ready to make a career change, we’re eager to talk to you: whether you’re a fresh grad, seasoned professional, or somewhere in between. With a curriculum focused on today’s best practices led by a world-class instructor team, you’ll graduate from Juno with the skills and knowledge you'll need to land a web developer position.
    ScholarshipSuccesful Web Development Immersive Bootcamp applicants who have taken our Web Development course will receive a $1,000 Alumni Scholarship off of their Bootcamp tuition, and an additional $1,000 off for every additional Juno course they've taken.
    Minimum Skill LevelApplicants to our Web Development Immersive Bootcamp will be required to successfully complete a technical assessment using HTML & CSS, so you’ll need some coding experience to be eligible for the program.

• Robyn • Front End Developer • Graduate

HackerYou is one of the best investments I have ever made. I started out modifying WordPress themes and felt like I reached a plateau with my learning but didn't want to go back to University again because I felt the investment wasn't worth the reward and still had about 30k in student loans that I needed to pay off.

After taking the HTML/CSS and Javascript/jQuery workshops I decided to dive in head first. One late night I applied to do the HackerYou 9 week full time front end development bootcamp. I was part of the first cohort through the program and it was the best investment I ever made. From that point I have gone on to work with big and small companies ranging from MetaLab Design to Apple. All of that came with a crazy amount of hard work but I have also attended three more part time programs through HackerYou including the Design Course, Ruby on Rails course, and now I am taking the Full Stack course. Since January 2014 (now Sept 2016), I have seen a significant increase in my salary, overall day to day happiness and continue to achieve many of my personal goals.

HackerYou also gave me the tools and skills I needed to become a maker in place of a consumer.  The instructors are supportive and the curriculum is constantly changing to keep up with the latest technologies. If you're looking for a career change I highly recommend HackerYou.

• Negin Sauermann  User Photo
    Negin Sauermann • Front-end developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I took the Web Development Immersive bootcamp for cohort Fall 2019. I graduated end of December and landed a job as a front-end developer early February. But it wasn't easy and the job hunt was arguably the hardest and most demoralizing aspect of the experience. I worked my BUTT off during the bootcamp but the job search was still rough. The junior dev market is saturated and the competition is nuts. However, the instructors, faculty and alumni were so supportive and helped prepare and push me for that grueling job search. I don't think I would've gotten a job if it weren't for them. Special shoutouts to:

Chi-Chi who was so supportive in both helping me fix my terrible and very long cover letters, practice interviewing and gaining the confidence I needed, and was also there for me when I just needed to vent.

Asaf and Simon were amazing instructors and made every class engaging and full of laughter. Suzette is the sweetest and the way she teaches is so easy to follow. There was never I time I felt too scared to ask a question. I felt like every instructor that taught me genuinely loved teaching and that made those long days (hello React) so much easier. I could go on about the rest of the faculty but I truly think the community Heather is fostering at Juno is amazing and so genuine.

My one small complaint is I wish we spent more time during the bootcamp on vanilla JavaScript or had a project incorporate vanilla js as oppose to the 2 weeks of HTML&CSS review. Beyond bootcamp helped bridge that knowledge gap and I learned so much from Simon but the attendance of beyond bootcamp started to dwindle - maybe because of the hours or the fact that it's occuring during the job hunt, I'm not sure. :( Incorporating what we learned in beyond into the main bootcamp might be something to explore! Also renovations at the end of our cohort was a bit inconvenient because we didn't have a common space to job hunt together, but I think renovations are about to be over.
  • Alexandra Lim  User Photo
    Alexandra Lim • Student Verified via GitHub

My experience at HackerYou has been very positive. I've taken two of their part time courses (Web Development and JavaScript) and am currently enrolled in their Web Immersive bootcamp.

I've found the instructors and mentors to be very helpful and informative, and the course material presented in a very fun and engaging manner. The HY community itself is very inclusive and supportive. They have a great alumni network and it's exciting to see that alumni want to come back to support students by mentoring and volunteering their time.

A few things I love about bootcamp so far: it's not only about coding. They truly care about your well-being and want to see you succeed. Each bootcamp student is paired with a bootcamp buddy (a previous bootcamp graduate volunteering their time) to provide you with any support you may need. Each week there's Salad Club so at least we're eating some vegetables during these intense 9 weeks. JavaScript weeks are taught in smaller groups to ensure the material is being understood. Real world experiences and tips are constantly being shared.

I cannot recommend HackerYou enough!

• Claire Valant  User Photo
    Claire Valant • Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Fresh out of university with a physics degree, I went back to work at Home Depot for over two years. Without a Masters or a PhD, it would've been tough finding a job that interested me. I hated the thought of going back to school for years, needing to take electives I didn't want to take, worrying about my average, and buying more textbooks.

HackerYou was the solution I needed. I took the part-time web development fundamentals course, which fit my retail store schedule, and then quit my job when I got into the bootcamp. Just a month and a half out of bootcamp I got a fantastic job as a web developer.

At HackerYou we learned industry-relevant languages, best practices, and tools that I use at my job every day. Even since my cohort ended in January, HackerYou has updated its curriculum with the most popular Javascript topics and latest tools for accessibility.

I loved that there was no massive lecture hall, no old professor teaching an outdated curriculum, and no competitive atmosphere. This school is welcoming and fun, something I didn't think could help me learn as much as I did. The instructors and mentors are top notch: they are as committed to every student's learning are they are their well-being. They will push you to do your best, but make sure you're taking care of yourself.

I also made amazing friends and invaluable connections all over the tech scene in Toronto from HackerYou's extensive network of alumni (who remain heavily involved in the HackerYou community - that says something).

My team at work is 100% HackerYou graduates and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I literally owe my career to this school, and highly recommend even trying out a free workshop just to see what it's like!!

• Annie Liew  User Photo
    Annie Liew • Front-End Developer | Multidisciplinary Designer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I started with a promising career; working as a Multidisciplinary Web & Graphic Designer in Australia and England for solid companies. But the travel bug got the better of me and I then spent 6 years in Japan teaching English. When I moved to Canada and tried to jump back into design, the fact that I was brand new in the city and had been out of the industry for so long, made getting work a Herculean task. After some soul searching, I knew I needed to skill up. I spent no small amount of time looking into further education options.

Although I’d initially wanted to move into UX design, the positive reviews on community and support at HackerYou won me over. I wanted a course that got you a job and after attending info nights and free workshops all over the city, I found HackerYou extremely welcoming and personable. The large number of women made it very inclusive and I also appreciated that they had a process in place that didn’t just accept EVERYONE. I believe environment plays a huge part in success and in that respect, anyone I studied with would be passionate and committed. The common thread after speaking to numerous alumni was, “Do it. You won’t regret it.”

It wasn’t an easy decision… huge financial commitment! But when I finally bit the bullet for the Part-Time Web Dev course, my instructor, (former HY grad & instructor, now Shopify superstar, Sylvia Nguyen) made it so much fun that I fell in love with something I once saw as a necessary evil part of the job. I’m not completely new to coding as my work in web saw me designing & building websites for clients, but I have absolutely no regrets taking Web Dev Fundamentals as well as Advanced. I upgraded my outdated knowledge and learnt current industry best practices that made me excited about the future of code.

I applied for the Immersive course, not really thinking I’d get in because it was sooo competitive. Then I got the call that I was accepted! Honestly, I wouldn’t have passed the tech challenge had I not taken Part-Time before. Doing part-time also gave me confidence in the teaching style, curriculum and quality of instructors.

Bootcamp was no walk in the park; sleepless nights were the norm and JavaScript was an exercise in picking yourself up again and again. But the support was there: The bootcamp team were beyond encouraging and there were games, extra-curricular help, stand ups and weekly salad clubs to look forward to. Not to mention, my cohort was the absolute best, kindest, most wonderful group of humans EVER.

My review ends happily as two weeks after graduating, I got an offer from an agency and started work the week after. At the time of review, I’m still at Beyond Bootcamp and learning advanced JavaScript from yet ANOTHER amazing instructor. The curriculum and school work hard to get you employed. But you have to be proactive as well.

Attending this school was one of the best things I’ve ever done for myself. HackerYou gave me more than just my first job in tech as a developer. I also gained a family, a community and a future that I’m really excited about!

• Jesse Steckley  User Photo
    Jesse Steckley • Membership Department Assistant for the CCAB • Verified via LinkedIn

I recommend this course, I learned html and css and had a great time. If you are interested in coding, this is the place to be.

• Adrian Dixon  User Photo
    Adrian Dixon • Web Developer • Verified via LinkedIn

Taking this class has really helped me to catch up on the Java side of development along with learning React which was something I've been wanting to do for awhile but didn't get around to it. The lecturers know what they're teaching and wouldn't hesitate to assist if I fall behind at anytime. I would definitely recommend HackerYou/Juno College to anyone who either wants to brush up on their skills/learn something new that will benefit them in the future. I wish all the best to the team as well as the classmates who took the course with me. Cheers - and remember, mongoose is not a bird!

• Phenomenal
    - 7/30/2019
    Emma  User Photo
    Emma • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I took the Web Development Immersive class with Wes Bos and it was one of the most beneficial and rewarding learning experiences I could have asked for. The class was incredibly hands-on and the amount of information I learned and was able to apply immediately was staggering. I'm returning for more courses in the coming weeks and can't wait to dive back into their classroom.

• Ella  User Photo
    Ella • Product Designer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Ricardo was my instructor in the summer of 2018. His classes were so well put together. He's got a great blend of personal stories, examples, and class participation. Every student was engaged throughout the entire class. I found that this course was a great intro to the fundamentals. One thing to note is that the course is heavily focused on staying problem oriented vs. solution oriented—meaning you try to do as much research and investigation before deciding what the answer to your problem will be. There is not a lot of focus on visual design in the course, more on building on the ideas your are coming up with for your projects. The work environment was good there, it was fairly relaxed. It's up to you to make the most of it.

• Janel Lucia  User Photo
    Janel Lucia • Product (UX/UI) Designer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended Hacker You's Full-time front end Bootcamp AND the UX Design class. I learned so much from both courses and was propelled into my career in tech. The UX course with Ricardo gave me the foundations I needed to break into a UX design role, I still reference my notes from the course. Ricardo is an amazing instructor and is super supportive in helping you formulate your ideas and execute them in a professional manner.

Would I recommend Hacker You to others? Most definitely, Yes!!!! Before attending each course I did a ton of research and what attracted me to HY both times was their dedication to diversity and inclusion and not to mention Hack You is a female-founded college.

Not only are the courses extremely informative but the community is extremely supportive and I would pay the course amount for the slack channel alone. Totally worth the value.
  • Scott Fuller  User Photo
    Scott Fuller • Front End Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Having recently finished the HackerYou Web Development Immersive bootcamp, I can genuinely say that it was one of the best decisions of my life to enrol in the program. For a number of years I had thought that web development could be a great career for me, but I was nervous about making the transition from my stable day job. I started by taking the part time Web Development program last spring, which let me dip my feet into the water before investing in the full time program. I was really glad I did as it introduced me to the core concepts of web dev, along with immersing me in the supportive and friendly learning environment that HY has created. After completing the part time course I knew that there was no other school that I would want to attend for a full time program – from the high-quality teachers to the environment that supports inclusion and diversity, it was a no brainer for me to apply for the bootcamp at HY. The experience of the bootcamp was definitely intense, but it allowed me to learn current languages and skills that are wanted by employers (React, JavaScript, SASS, etc) in a time period that minimized how long I was out of work. On top of this, having never been a person who enjoyed traditional school, the project-based strategy that focuses on learning by doing really worked for me. One month after completing the program, I just landed by first job as a Front End Developer and I know that I wouldn’t have been able to get to this point without HackerYou. I would highly recommend HY to anyone who is curious about web development, or those who are interested in changing their career – you won’t regret it!

• Roberto Meech  User Photo
    Roberto Meech • Front-End Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I was at a crossroads in my life when I heard about HackerYou. Fresh after writing the LSAT, I was struggling trying to figure out if that was the right path for me. After a few months of contemplation, I realized that if I was ever going to make a leap of faith into a different field, it had to be then. I started researching the best web-dev programs in Canada, and I narrowed it down to a few before I spoke to a friend and HackerYou alum. She told me about her experience and about how Heather personally motivates you and helps you find your first position after the program. It sounded way too good to be true.

Once I submitted my initial application for the web-dev immersive program, I was told that it would be a great idea to take the part-time course first. A little snag in my plans seeing as how I lived in Ottawa, but it made complete sense and would prepare me/give me a better chance at acceptance.

So I made the leap of faith. I signed a six-month sublease in Toronto with only one plan in mind – to take the part time course from January to April, and then the immersive course from April to June.

The part-time course has to be the best way to dip your feet into the field. The full-time immersive program felt like a summer camp. We all felt like we were in it together and wanted to see each other succeed. In both programs, the instructors were among the best I’ve come across in my academic career. They are so patient, supportive, and talented. The exact same goes for the staff (including Dug) at HackerYou. Everyone greets you with a smile and makes you feel like part of the family.

Fast-forward one year from when I made this decision – I met an incredibly talented and supportive community, I’ve made lifelong friendships, and I am genuinely happy on Sunday nights. I look forward to the work I do. HackerYou not only teaches you hard skills, but a mindset that you can learn anything. I can’t really put into words how strongly I’d recommend HackerYou as a place to learn web development, as it was easily one of the best decisions I’ve made.

• Marc Brathwaite  User Photo
    Marc Brathwaite • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I just completed the Full-Time Web Development Immersive bootcamp at HackerYou, and I can honestly say that it was an awesome and lifechanging experience. Heather (CEO) and her team are a group of amazing individuals who go all out to ensure every bootcamp student is extremely well equiped for future careers as developers.

Before the Full Time bootcamp, I worked in the Telecoms industry for 10 years and recently decided I wanted a change in career. After an initial unsuccessful attempt to get into the bootcamp, I was advised by HackerYou to first attend the part-time Web Development course. I truly believe this set me up for success in the bootcamp as I was given a solid foundation in HTML, CSS and JQuery, and I would highly recommend going this route before applying for the bootcamp.

The bootcamp itself was a challenging and rewarding experience. It is designed such that you are taught web technologies and standards which are presently being used in the tech industry. You are also provided with hands-on project-based experience where you would create 6 websites/web applications which can then be showcased in a portfolio website, a critical component in job applications for Junior Developer roles. The instructors are extremely knowledgeable and deliver the course content in a clear and easy to understand manner. They also provide excellent feedback and support on all projects assigned during the bootcamp. I was also very impressed with how in-depth and comprehensive the online notes provided by HackerYou were, and you are given lifetime access to these notes as an added bonus. However, I would say my favourite part of the bootcamp was the extremely positive and collaborative environment encouraged by the HackerYou staff. Even on the gloomiest of days, stepping into the HackerYou office quickly brightened your mood; a fact echoed by many of my fellow bootcamp colleagues. Another highlight was the Industry Day Event held on the final afternoon, where students had an opportunity to deliver their elevator pitches to perspective employers through 2 minutes speed interviews, as well as network with these employers afterwards. This was an extremely fun and enjoyable event, the outcome of which I was able to land an interview and an eventual job offer.

Post bootcamp, Heather still has your back. This amazing woman continues to provide invaluable support through the job-hunting process. She provides a “tried and tested” procedure for approaching job applications and is available at any time to provide advice in navigating this process. If you do receive a job offer, she also has sound advice for negotiating your job offer terms.  If you follow Heather's instructions, you WILL get a job.

Lastly, special mention goes to Charlotte, the Bootcamp Operations Manager, who ensured the bootcamp ran very smoothly and provided excellent support to students.

• Ross Whiteford  User Photo
    Ross Whiteford • IT Business Analyst • Student Verified via LinkedIn
    I went from zero web development experience to being able to build basic responsive websites thanks to HackerYou! The curriculum takes you through basic and advanced HTML & CSS , and shows you how to leverage other technologies like JavaScript to really make the sites you build look professional. The curriculum is easy to follow and the instructors and mentors explain complex topics in an easy to understand and entertaining way; injecting humor and personality into the lessons. I would recommend this course to anyone who is just starting out on their web development path, or those who have struggled with self-directed learning. While you probably won't land a job as a developer after completing the course, it's a great foundation to build and gives you the leg-up if you're contemplating applying for a Bootcamp course.
  • Geoff Grossman  User Photo
    Geoff Grossman • Student Verified via GitHub

From having no idea about what goes into making a website, to  being able to create a full responsive multi page website in 9 weeks is pretty impressive. The teachers are really friendly and resourceful, and the ciriculum is set in such a way where you feel like you are adding more pieces to your toolbox. I highly recomennd this course for anyone who is wanting to make a switch in to Front end web developement.

• Amazing Experience
    - 11/26/2018
    Julie Bam  User Photo
    Julie Bam • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I wanted to share with you my experience with HackerYou. A few months into my maternity leave I have decided to look for an alternate career path and at the beginning was looking at going into Software QA but researched further into careers in IT and stumbled upon web development. Initially I tried to learn online but quickly realized I need a class environment to learn well. At that point I decided to look into schools that teach web dev. I initially signed for a Con-Ed course at George Brown due to the cost of the course but then look into it deeper and felt that George Brown is not going to give me the skills I need to succeed and then I started looking into coding schools and found HackerYou to be the best fit. I dropped the GB course and in the last moment signed up for the P/T Intro and Advanced Web Development course and let me tell you it was the right decision. Yes, it is triple the cost but it is worth it. The education you will get at HackerYou is invaluable. They will get you to where you want to be. There are no exams and tests you learn by doing projects and honestly it is the best way to learn. I am amazed at how I went from very little knowledge to building responsive multi-page websites in just 12 weeks. The mentors and instructors are very knowledgeable and helpful. Currently I am applying for the HackerYou bootcamp and I am confident that I am well prepared for it.

• Mark Cortejos  User Photo
    Mark Cortejos • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Hi all!
    I completed the Web Development Fundamentals course and am wrapping up the Web Development Advanced course and I have to say that I've had a fantastic experience learning web development with HackerYou. If you're looking to pick up web development skills, this is definitely the place to do it.

The instructors for both courses are all seasoned web dev professionals so they're highly knowledgeable, helpful, and patient with those just learning to code. They're also all HackerYou alumni, which is a testament not only to the effectiveness of the courses at HackerYou but the strong sense of community that is fostered around it.

The curriculum is updated frequently to keep in line with the current practices in the industry and the course notes are detailed yet easy to understand. We learn via practical exercises so we're always practicing our coding skills. I particularly like how real examples from live websites are often used to illustrate the different techniques we're being taught in the course. It's a great way to show exactly what can be done with the knowledge we've gained.

The project-based assignments can be difficult but are designed to push the limits of what we cover in the course. By keeping us just a little out of our comfort zone, HackerYou makes sure that our skills are kept sharp and that students become comfortable with using the knowledge gained in new and innovative ways.

All in all the courses are fast-paced and there is a lot of content to cover, but HackerYou does a great job making learning to code an exciting and accessible experience. I highly recommend it for anyone interested in learning web development.

• Maria Mosmann  User Photo
    Maria Mosmann • Student Verified via LinkedIn

When I decided it was time to make a career change I started searching for a coding school, and there are plenty. When it came to HackerYou alumni the reviews had something in common: how their experience were amazing in class and beyond that.

Having finished their Web Development Fundamentals course I can now say that myself.

Not only the course is structured in a way that you learn A LOT without even realizing, but every single HackerYour team member is an amazing professional that loves what they do, and it reflects on their work. Classes were never boring, it never felt like a chore, it didn't even looked like I was about to spend the majority of my Sunday studying! I was excited about what new amazing things we'd learn that day. Everybody was. HackerYou creates a sense of community, where people from the most diverse backgrounds can feel valued for what they can bring to the table, and what they can learn from one another. Our instructor (Jazz) and our mentors (Allison and Meagan) were always friendly and approachable, no questions left unanswered.

If you want to start coding but don't know how to start, or already have a basic knowledge but want to step up your skills, this is the course for you. If you work with devs and want to be able to communicate with them better, this is the course for you. If you are thinking about changing your career but don't want to make the big jump yet, you guessed it right, this is the course for you! Now I know for certain that I want to go down this yellow brick road. I'm still impressed by how much I've learned in class!

This course is good even if you have 0 knowledge about HTML and CSS, and I mean it. Don't feel discouraged if you barely know how to turn your computer on, in a matter of weeks you'll have a new set of impressive skills!

• Naomi C  User Photo
    Naomi C • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I graduated from the full time front end bootcamp this June 2018 and it was honestly a life changing experience.  The instructors and staff are amazing people, very warm and attentive.  The course material is updated so that you are staying ahead of or at least on the curve of emerging trends in front-end development.  I would absolutely take this course if you are looking for a career change to web development.

In terms of what was taught (you can see the full curiculum here) we spent a couple of weeks reaffirming previous html css knowledge, it is required that you have some previous experience with this as there is a tech test to get in.  You then spend the rest of the time learning JavaScript fundamentals, some tooling, React framework and some of React Router.  The course is designed to help you create a portfolio site to eventually get a job working as a developer full time.  I was offered a job less than a month after graduation which is honestly amazing given that I spent months job hunting after finishing university.  While I will say that some of my classmates are still looking, there are at least half of us employed and the other half are having interviews / have taken a break for the summer to pick back up come September.  You will not necessarily learn EVERYTHING required to work in the real world some things will just need to be learned on the job but you get a really solid foundation to tackle most problems you will face.  Prior to taking the bootcamp I took the part time fundamentals course and the part time JavaScript course (taking this one was especially helpful, although no prior knowledge of JS is required).  In terms of what I knew before the fundamentals...almost nothing? Some Dreamweaver suite from high school, some C++ from 8 years ago...I do have a background in science but I think that anyone can make this change with enough effort and determination.  Honestly great experience, I am going back to be a bootcamp buddy for the up-coming cohort and will probably linger around and participate for as long as they'll have me.

• S. Hu  User Photo
    S. Hu • Student Verified via GitHub

I am nearing the last class of the Summer 2018 Part-Time Javascript course, and have taken the Part-Time Web Development in Summer of 2017, and having taken many University and Online courses that aim to reach similar end goals with their students, Hackeryou's teaching style and ever-evolving curriculum makes it a worthwhile decision to deviate from the traditional education path to a career.

The course currently in 2018 of Summer covers Javascript, ES6, jQuery, APIs, Git/Github, Firebase, React intro and a little bit of Node.js to keep you interested in further learning. The class style is a mix of simultaneous coding/lecture together, taking each portion and block of code, each concept step by step. Questions are immediately welcome at any time, which is great because it prevents the class from moving on to something more complicated when the current item isn't fully understood. We each build 3 projects and they are increasing in challenge level, with you feeling like you've accomplished a hurdle after the completion of each one.

No question feels too silly to ask in the Hackeryou classroom, and the 2-3 TAs in the class are paying attention every minute to spot if someone's raised hand goes unnoticed, or if anyone is having trouble with following along. The students I've had the pleasure of learning with are all engaging and so creative, and most of all everyone wants to be in that class, come from 9-5 jobs and continue their day absorbing new information, actively participating in class.

One thing I would love to see in the future for this class, (even though there are plenty of opportunities to work on code challenges with partners in the class, and Tiff (our instructor) always incorporate it into class) is more group work or pair programming, I found that I got to learn just as much if not more from my peers as I did from self learning/googling. Having maybe 1 group project or assignment may be really fun!

For anyone interested in a course I encourage them to take the step, you will not regret learning in a supportive environment with no ceilings set on what you can achieve.  After this course, I feel more confident in building interactive web applications using APIs, and I look forward to continuing to develop my skills to become a full-fledged developer.

• Sandy Tian  User Photo
    Sandy Tian • Front End Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I recently graduated from Hackeryou's Web Immersive program. The experience has been exceptional. All the staff are extremely knowledgeable and supportive. Same goes with all my fellow classmates. I never would have imagined making such great friends in such a short amount of time.

The first step that I took was to take the part time Intro and Advanced Web Development courses on the weekends. Shortly after I finished those courses, I started the 9-week Web Development Immersive Program. One of my reasons to go to HackerYou was because a friend of mine who is an alumnus of HY had recommended the school to me. The other reason was because I heard HY was the best there is went it comes to teaching web development.

The 9-week program was very intense but there were lots of support from the staff, students and the HY community. There's ongoing support after graduation with job searching as well. Throughout the courses, my web development knowledge grew from simple self-taught HTML, CSS and basic JavaScript at the start of the part time course to being able to code entire websites in Reactjs.

If you are brand new or have little experience with web development, I highly recommend taking one of the part time web development courses to start with. It’ll build a solid foundation and you’ll see if the new career path is right for you.

Long story short, HY took me from playing around with HTML and CSS as a hobby to a full time employed front end developer in less than one year. I couldn't be happier with the choice I made with attending HY.

• Melody Chen  User Photo
    Melody Chen • Front-End Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I completed the HackerYou Immersive Web Development Bootcamp and got a job as a Front-End Developer in a week and a half. When I graduated from University I spent 4 months to find my first job. This is by far the fastest job search I've ever experienced.

I've been approached by many friends asking me why I chose HackerYou and what's the difference between HackerYou and other boot camps in Toronto.  Prior to attending HackerYou, I was an English Teacher in South Korea. I spent a lot of time researching all the boot camps in Toronto when I returned home. I've attended a majority of free workshops and read plenty of reviews. I ended up choosing HackerYou because a friend of a friend referred me. On my first attempt to join the HackerYou boot camp I failed the tech test and I ended up taking the Part-Time JavaScript which did prepare me really well for the boot camp. I was able to pass the Tech challenge and the interviews during my second attempt. The fact that HackerYou is selective helps to ensure that you're actually ready for the classes. They want to you succeed. The other thing is because each student is hand selected you will end up being extremely close with your classmates. Everyone becomes friends. In the end, you're really more of a family.

The HackerYou community is unlike any other I've seen. Alumni return to help tutor and support students. Each of us was paired with an alumni boot camp buddy. My boot camp buddy was amazing, not only was she there for emotional support but she continuously helped me whenever she could and we are great friends now.

I came into contact with my current employer through the HackerYou Industry day which is held on the last day of the boot camp. There are quite a few employers that really enjoy hiring specifically from HackerYou. I've been working for 2 weeks now and I love my job as well as my company. I'm learning a lot in a supportive environment. My core team is composed of 7 Front-End Developers and 6 of us are HackerYou alumni.

I feel very fortunate to have had such a positive experience and none of that would have been possible without the hardworking team at HackerYou as well as my unbelievably talented classmates. One thing HackerYou does really well is they spend a lot of time building your confidence so when you graduate you're a strong coder but you're also able to talk about your work to potential employers.

Ryan, the CTO of HackerYou is hilarious and super smart. Sometimes I feel like his proximity to my laptop will fix all my code! Hahaha.  Danny was our lead instructor and we adored him so much that we named our cohort The Danny Pack. Zoey and Adam were our mentors and they always went above and beyond to make sure we understood the concepts in class. Not only were they there to teach us how to code but they were a great source of moral support as well.

If I had to provide one constructive criticism to the entire experience I would say the first week of boot camp felt a bit slow. In order to get into the boot camp and pass the tech test, you would have to have a good basis in HTML and CSS and I felt like my cohort was already strong in both of those. I would have prefered if we spent less time on HTML and CSS during the first week so we could have more time to absorb React later on in the course. What we learned during the week as still valuable but it could have been at an even faster rate.

Boot camp was not easy but I'm grateful for the experience and I honestly miss going to class already. If you're looking to become a Front-End Developer HackerYou is the school to go to. Each year there are only 4 boot camp sessions. The team focuses a lot of time and energy on each student and when you graduate, the CEO of HackerYou, Heather is by your side to coach you through the job hunting process. In the end, I can't imagine going to any other school.

- 6/27/2018
    Anne Phitsanoukanh  User Photo
    Anne Phitsanoukanh • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated university and grazed over some web dev courses but never thought it could be something I could do as a career. I didn't know how to go about it further so I decided to go to college for it and absolutelyhated my experience. It was old school and dry- I dropped out after one semester.

Two really good friends of mine graduated from the HackerYou Immersive Bootcamp and to quote one of them, said it was "life changing" and so I had to see for myself! After doing the part-time Spring 2018 Web Dev course I can confidently say that I've developed the skills to create things I've always imagined in my head and to further my skills I've decided to enrol in the part-time Summer 2018 JavaScriptcourse with my eyes set on the 2018 Fall Bootcamp! What I loved about my experience is having such enthusiastic instructors and mentors. The best part is meeting new friends that are just as excited as you are making it even more motivating to learn. When people ask me what I like about the course material I like to say how easy it is to digest. There is an example or a practice activity for EVERYTHING- which helps if you're a person like me who needs hands on experience to really absorb something.

With the skills I've developed at HackerYou I plan on becoming the best web developer I can be to make all the shiny new things I have planned in my head. Being a web developer doesn't only have to be a career but something you can enjoy outside of work too! I would highly recommend the part-time web dev course at HackerYou.

• Ana M.  User Photo
    Ana M. • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I’m just finishing up taking the Part-Time Web Development course (Spring 2018) and it’s been an amazing experience that has given me a really solid foundation of web dev knowledge and skills. I initially started the course to develop my interactive skills as a designer, but I've enjoyed it so much that I’m continuing with the part-time JavaScript course and (hopefully) the full-time bootcamp to make a switch to web development as a full-time career.

When I was first looking into coding schools, HackerYou really stuck out as the one with the most positive reviews and the strongest and most supportive community. I spoke to some alumni and the real testament to me was seeing how involved and enthusiastic they remained in the HY community regardless of how much had passed since their own learning experience/career transition. By the time I met the team, got a tour of the space and received the full information on the course, my positive feelings were completely affirmed and I was ready to make the jump.

In terms of the course itself, I’ve found the teaching style/curriculum to be incredibly conducive to learning web development because you’re pretty much always practicing concepts in real-time with mini challenges in class. You also get a solid foundation in building something complete from start to finish with the course projects, much like you would in a professional environment. The instructors/mentors are super approachable, knowledgeable and helpful and you can tell they really care about each and every student’s success. Because the course is part time, they work as full-time developers during the week, and it was definitely comforting to know everything we were being taught was up to date and being regularly implemented by them in their day jobs.

As an added bonus, the community around HY is truly incredible. Everyone makes you feel welcome and comfortable, and you can really tell that everyone absolutely loves being there. There’s no such thing as a stupid question and whatever stereotypes you might have heard about the tech industry are completely (and actively) dispelled here. I can’t speak for other bootcamps in Toronto but that was one of the things that definitely stood out about HY from the moment I started looking at coding schools and has continued to be true throughout my experience as a student here. (Also, I have encountered multiple absolutely incredible HackerYou dogs, which doesn’t hurt.)

Coming out of the PT fundamentals course, I feel more confident in building sites from scratch with basic interactivity than I ever would have imagined. I would highly, highly recommend this class (and HY more broadly) to anyone interested in boosting their digital skills or making the first step in a career switch.

• Justine  User Photo
    Justine • Account Supervisor • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am an Account Supervisor in a Creative Agency, I was looking for a new challenge this year and wanted to broaden my skill set, by delivering websites, mobile apps and other online experiences that provide more meaningful and relevant experiences to users. I also want to be a better asset to my team and challenge myself.

These 12 weeks at HackerYou were amazing with Ricardo, Jas, and Jen. They were patient, they provided insightful feedback and had great advice to help us think outside the box. I have learned a lot about how to understand and solve a wicked problem, and how to transform different ideas into a seamless whole. We worked on insightful methodologies, user guides, and group projects. It was an inclusive and great environment to share with the mentors and the other students. I was able to expand my creativity but also embrace discomfort in an analytical way.

I had the chance to attend both the fundamentals and advanced UX design classes and work on 2 capstone projects. The projects were challenging and a great way to use my personal skills into these projects.

These courses brought a real added value to my resume. I am always excited to learn and explore new areas to boost my career. I would definitely recommend these courses to my friends or colleagues, who would like to challenge themselves.