juno-college-of-technology-logo

Juno College of Technology

Online, Toronto

Juno College of Technology

Founded in 2012 as HackerYou, Juno College of Technology is a post-graduate coding school that offers full-time and part-time Web Development, UX Design, and Data Analytics courses both live online and on campus in Toronto, Canada. Juno is dedicated to helping young people get ahead, and fosters an inclusive community of diverse learners. Juno’s full-time Web Development Immersive bootcamp covers HTML5 & CSS3, responsive design, JavaScript, jQuery, API and WordPress as well as non-technical skills, like personal branding, finding and managing clients, and growing a business. Juno's part-time courses include JavaScript, UX Design, Data Analytics, Wordpress & Shopify Development, React, and Full-Stack Masterclass. Part-time classes run in the evenings, twice a week for 8 weeks or on weekends, once a week for 8 weeks. Juno’s programs focus on hands-on, project-based learning from industry-leading professionals with small classes and a 10:1 ratio of students to instructors. By the end of the web development bootcamp, students have created a website and portfolio, and have in-demand and future-proof skills needed to succeed as developers.

Juno College of Technology is ideal for people looking to climb the corporate ladder, upgrade their skills, or start a new career. Prospective applicants will need to fill out an online form describing their background and experience, and participate in a video or in-person interview. For the full-time immersive course, students should have a high school diploma or equivalent, and demonstrate knowledge of HTML and CSS. Juno College of Technology offers student-friendly payment options, such as Pay What You Can Income Share Agreements.

For job seekers, Juno helps students craft a technical resume, nail an interview, and negotiate their salary via career coaching. The curriculum covers personal branding and how to position yourself to employers. At the end of the course, Juno College of Technology hosts Industry Day where students can network with hiring partners and showcase their portfolios. Juno graduates receive ongoing support from the Career Services Team to help graduates land a web developer position. Juno prides itself on its strong partnerships that have led to Juno graduates working with innovative companies around the world, from independent start-ups to big tech organizations. Juno also offers 2-week, accelerated Continuing Education courses for tech-savvy learners.

Recent Juno College of Technology Reviews: Rating 4.94

all (225) reviews for Juno College of Technology →

Recent Juno College of Technology News

Read all (7) articles about Juno College of Technology →
  • Data Analytics

Start Date September 07, 2021
    LocationOnline, Toronto
    Data Analytics is an entry-level course designed to teach you functional data literacy - the understanding of how data and analytics fit into your day-to-day work, an increasingly in-demand skill in today’s data-driven society. If you work in a role with access to data, but aren’t sure how to use it, this course will give you the understanding of data you need to start making strategic decisions. Data Analytics brings together a diverse group of people from a variety of backgrounds and industries, all eager to better understand the data they work with. At Juno, we’re committed to providing an inclusive, safe classroom for all that choose to learn with us. And a welcoming one! From the moment you start your first class, you’ll be a member of the warm Juno community of staff, students, and alumni.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis beginner-friendly course is for problem-solvers who want to learn how to make more informed and strategic decisions in their day-to-day work.
    September 07, 2021 - Online Apply by March 24, 2021
    September 28, 2021 - Online Apply by March 24, 2021
  • Data Analytics Bootcamp

Start Date October 12, 2021
    LocationToronto, Online
    Juno’s Data Analytics Bootcamp will help you make a career change into data, fast. With a unique blend of hands-on practice, project-based learning, and inclusive community-oriented classrooms, this intensive Live Online Bootcamp gives you the tools and support you need to launch a fulfilling career in this booming industry. Within 9 full-time weeks, you’ll solidify your fundamental data analysis skills, build lasting relationships with our community, and work closely with our Career Services Team to land your first data job.
    Tuition PlansWith Juno's Income Share Agreements, you can pay less upfront for your Bootcamp education, and only pay us back once you’re making at least $50,000 per year. Students approved for an ISA typically pay between $3,000 and $9,000 upfront.
    ScholarshipSuccessful Data Analytics Bootcamp applicants who have taken our Data Analytics course will receive a $1,000 Alumni Scholarship off of their Bootcamp tuition, and an additional $1,000 off for every additional Juno course they've taken.
    Minimum Skill LevelApplicants to our Data Analytics Bootcamp will be required to pass a tech challenge using SQL and data visualization with Tableau, so you’ll need some data analytics experience to be eligible for the program.
    October 12, 2021 - Online Apply by October 05, 2021
  • Full-Stack Development

Express.js, JavaScript, jQuery, MongoDB, React.js, Git, Node.js
    LocationOnline, Toronto
    This course is made for developers committed to doing what it takes to level up. Through six-hours of weekly lessons, you’ll able to really dig in and explore complex concepts every class. Lessons are supplemented by mentored office hours once a week. We’ve perfected the course schedule to ensure an engaging and intensive experience that can be balanced with a full-time job. This unique course is designed to fill in gaps and push developers to level up, while preparing them for the next stage in their career. From scope outline to deployment, your in-class learning will be focused on real world skills through the creation of a single-page web application.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis course is ideal for Bootcamp graduates (whether you attended Juno College’s Program or another one), and self-taught developers.
  • JavaScript

HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery
    LocationOnline, Toronto
    Learn how to add more depth to your websites in our JavaScript course. You'll start with learning the basics of functional programming including objects, arrays, and jQuery. You’ll then cover APIs, AJAX, and promises, among other topics. You will leave this course with the perfect addition to your front-end skillset.
    Minimum Skill LevelStrong understanding of the basics of HTML & CSS is required to take this course.
  • React

React.js
    LocationOnline, Toronto
    In our React course, you’ll gain a foundational understanding of this powerful library and key industry-standards designed to level up your JavaScript workflow. In this course, we'll cover React fundamentals and best practices before diving into advanced topics like Hooks and Testing. Whether you’re already working with React or a novice JavaScript developer ready to learn a new framework, you'll leave this course with new skills under your belt. React brings together a diverse group of people from a variety of backgrounds and industries, all eager to improve their JavaScript skills with this dynamic library. At Juno, we’re committed to providing an inclusive, safe classroom for all that choose to learn with us. And a welcoming one! From the moment you start your first class, you’ll be a member of the warm Juno community of staff, students, and alumni.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis course is for anyone looking to use React to level up their JavaScript skill set and improve their workflows.
  • UX Design

Design, User Experience Design
    LocationToronto, Online
    Our UX Design course is designed for those working as designers or developers, as well as alumni of our part-time web development courses. While your learnings in this course remain rooted in user experience and user interaction principles, we will also dive deep into learning how people think. Your in-class exercises and projects will hold the human at the core of all concepts being learned. At the end of this course you’ll have two original, portfolio-worthy projects that solve real-world problem using design thinking. Your first portfolio project will tackle the myriad of problems that arise with transit in a major city. In your second project given full autonomy to propose a solution to one of today's "wicked" problems - a problem so big that it seems unsolvable. With both projects, you’ll go beyond wire-framing and digital design tooling and tackle the heart of each issue, the human experience.
    Minimum Skill LevelThis course is perfect for people working as designers or developers, as well as graduates of our part-time courses.
  • Web Development

HTML, CSS
    LocationOnline, Toronto
    Our Web Development course is designed for tech-savvy beginners - no prior experience is necessary. Each class is exercise-heavy, and our 10:1 student-to-instructor ratio means personalized attention: you won’t ever feel left behind. Our take-home exercises and coding challenges are designed to continually sharpen your skills. You’ll leave this course with transferable skills including the ability to build responsive HTML & CSS websites. Our flagship introductory course will provide you with the knowledge to create impactful front-end web experiences.
    ScholarshipNeeds-Based Scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelThis course is designed for beginners.
  • Web Development Bootcamp

JavaScript, CSS, HTML, jQuery, Git, Front End, React.js
    Start Date August 23, 2021
    LocationOnline, Toronto
    At Juno College’s 9-week Bootcamp Program, you’ll learn HTML5, CSS3, responsive design, JavaScript, jQuery, APIs, React and Firebase–all the skills you need to become a junior web developer. Our Web Development Immersive Bootcamp does more than help people change careers, it changes lives. We're the experts in helping people with non-technical backgrounds build careers as web developers, and if you’re ready to make a career change, we’re eager to talk to you: whether you’re a fresh grad, seasoned professional, or somewhere in between. With a curriculum focused on today’s best practices led by a world-class instructor team, you’ll graduate from Juno with the skills and knowledge you'll need to land a web developer position.
    ScholarshipSuccessful Web Development Bootcamp applicants who have taken our Web Development course will receive a $1,000 Alumni Scholarship off of their Bootcamp tuition, and an additional $1,000 off for every additional Juno course they've taken.
    Minimum Skill LevelApplicants to our Web Development Immersive Bootcamp will be required to successfully complete a technical assessment using HTML & CSS, so you’ll need some coding experience to be eligible for the program.
    August 23, 2021 - Online Apply by August 16, 2021
    September 27, 2021 - Online Apply by September 20, 2021
    November 01, 2021 - Online Apply by October 25, 2021
  • WordPress & Shopify Development

Wordpress, HTML, Design, CSS
    LocationOnline, Toronto
    Our WordPress & Shopify Development course is designed to help talented developers unlock the potential of WordPress and Shopify. Together these two content management systems power a huge portion of the world’s websites, including giants like The New Yorker, BBC, and Glossier. Understanding how to adapt and work in these platforms is now crucial to working in many agency environments or as a freelancer. This course brings together a diverse group of developers, all ready to level up their skills by learning how to build custom themes for in-demand content management systems. Whether you’re looking to land an agency position or diversify the services you offer your clients as a freelancer, the ability to create customized web experiences will help you succeed and make more money.
  • Ty Lively

This review is for the part-time Intro and Advanced Web Development course.

This is a great package of courses for those who are new to coding! For some background, I have little to no prior coding experience and found these courses to be pretty fast-paced, but not unreasonable. You learn a lot in a short amount of time and should be able to create some advanced web layouts by the end. Tom is an excellent instructor and did a great job at conveying the information to students, while simultaneously fending off the constant heckling by one student. I do wish the class had more order though as the persistent heckling made for an unwelcoming learning environment - this is more of a criticism of that student rather than on HackerYou or Tom.

My biggest complaint is that each course only has 1 day of office hours which is simply not enough. For the premium price we pay (and it’s increasing btw) there should be at minimum two days of office hours per course. It also takes a while to receive feedback on projects which makes it hard to start on the next project when you don’t have any feedback on the previous project. The last issue I see is a clear lack of room in the building to accompany all the students trying to study. Basically, if you’re not in the bootcamp, you don’t have a place to study.

Overall, I enjoyed the course and learned a lot! Thank you to all the mentors and Tom for doing such an excellent job!

• Michael Yiu

Most likely going to be one of the most pivotal decisions I've made in my life. Before HackerYou, I was more or less lost. I had been in a job as a developer before and then a year as a web administrator. I was plagued with 'imposter syndrome' and my confidence in my own skills as a developer were, by and large, low.

I made a decision to go to HackerYou after one of my friend, she had a friend who had taken the bootcamp at HackerYou in the past and she had known about the issues I was facing career-wise. She encouraged me to try the part-time and then go full-time if I liked it and I'm forever thankful to her after listening to her recommendation.

I loved everything about the bootcamp, it was such a mind-blowing experience. The instructors that I had in Ryan and Danny were some of the most awesome instructors I've had in my life. There's actually an insane difference of environment between the university environment and the environment here. My classmates were trying their best, helped each other out and I honestly felt as though there was a big sense of comraderie amongst us and all the instructors and mentors (Zoe, Adam) were doing their best to bring the best out of us.

Best of all, it reinforced what I had already knew. I was already a developer but I was in such a huge rut because I just thought I sucked. I thought that I didn't belong in the development world and whether I should have pursued something else. Interestingly, that 'something else' may turn out to be teaching or mentoring as part of my experience at HackerYou was teaching fellow classmates JavaScript and programming concepts and seeing them 'get it' was really rewarding for me.

Also, I really appreciate the efforts of Christopher, Charlotte, Brandon, Sarah and the administrative team. They definitely made sure that questions, concerns, inquiries were tended to and always hosted these little games and videos of inspirations and other miscellaneous things to raise the morale and spirit of the class (it worked).

I could honestly write a book about how amazing this place is, but I'll just say that I've said goodbye to the imposter syndrome and that no one can break my confidence as a developer now.

• Shai • Junior Web Developer • Graduate

I am beyond ecstatic that I made the choice to come to HackerYou, It was literally the best decision I’ve made in my entire life. Not only has it given me a brand new career, but it is also given me confidence and strong community with endless support.

Before HackerYou I was working in the Insurance industry and really did not feel passionate about my career, I took a Ladies Learning to Code work shop on whim to learn something new and get out of my comfort zone and it was that workshop that ignited my journey to becoming a Developer.  One of the Mentors in my workshop had just finished the HackerYou BootCamp and was giving it such high regard, I knew then that I was going to make the decision to change my career  and it was HackerYou or bust !

I took the Part time Web Development class which really helped me solidify the basics of coding, I would definitely recommend taking a class if you are interested in code at all.  I started the BootCamp in July of 2018 as the 19th Cohort of HackerYou,  It was probably the most intense thing I’ve experienced, I learned so much in a short period of time with tight turn arounds for projects so I could apply concepts I just learned.
    I literally had no social life for the summer but it was so worth it, I gained 37 new friends!  I had support from amazing Instructors, Mentors, Staff and my Cohort that motivated me to push through and come out as Web Developer on the other side.

After BootCamp It took me 3 weeks to find a job as  Developer, It was thanks to Heathers BootCamp ( after Bootcamp ) job search that really sets HackerYou Applicants apart.

I really cannot express how grateful I am that I am HackerYou alumni,  I am living my best life thanks to HackerYou !

• jaimie jewell • Law Clerk • Student

I chose HackerYou because of all of the positive reviews online - these reviews are not wrong!

I took the Part Time Web-Dev Fundamentals & am currently in the Advanced portion. I'd suggest taking both of them - the Advanced portion takes everything you learn in Fundamentals so much further and gives you the solid foundation you need to confidently build a website. Prior to taking this course I had virtually no experience in web development, finishing the course, I can build professional sites that you'd actually come across online.

The instructor and mentors are wonderful, they bring their individual experiences to each class and are incredibly knowledgeable. The instructor and mentors use current and relatable examples to get content across. The content and speed of the course are excellent, and every lesson is supplemented with a ton of practical exercises, some that you do in class and others that you can do in your own time.

The projects for the courses are great opportunities to apply everything you've learned and the instructor and mentors are there to guide you and provide constructive one-on-one feedback.

My learning experience at HackerYou was a lot of fun, I love the culture and I would definitely recommend HackerYou to anyone thinking about pursuing Web Development.

• Susie • Graduate

After graduating university with a design degree, I was feeling lost and directionless. I realized the creative industry had changed drastically during my four years of study, and starting salaries for entry-level design jobs were not very appealing. I decided to explore different directions and as I always had an interest in coding, I thought a coding bootcamp might be worth a try. After lots of research I applied to HackerYou as they had the very best reviews, and now having completed the bootcamp I can see what all the hype is about.  Only a month after graduating (with a two week vacation in between!) I received multiple offers and landed a great develper job with a competitive salary.

It's important to realize that this isn't a magical way to "pay your way" to a new career, it's HARD work! Getting accepted can be challenging as well, as it is a very selective program; I got in on my second try. I took the part-time JavaScript course before I got accepted, and I highly recommend it as it will speed up your learning in the bootcamp (which means more time to make your projects/portfolio super sick!) But once you're in, it's absolutely worth it. The instructors are experienced, engaging, and make learning fun and enjoyable. The curriculum is very up-to-date and in-demand in the job market. What's really priceless though are the connections you'll form as part of the HackerYou family. The HackerYou alumni community is so supportive and friendly, you'll never want to leave!

I was very happy with the job assistance they provided as well. Having no related experience, I was skeptical of my ability to find a developer position but Heather (the CEO) coaches you every step of the way. She teaches you how to land your dream job and helps you with applications and negotiations. My employer remarked they were very impressed with the level of knowledge and professionalism I and the other HackerYou grads they interviewed displayed. Just follow Heather's job hunting guide and you will get a job; it's that simple. You will get out of the bootcamp what you put into it and if you've been accepted, you have what it takes to start a new career in web development.

If you have any reservations, I recommend taking their part-time courses, or one of the many free workshops they offer as well. It's truly a wonderful school and I couldn't be happier with the decision I made.

• Rafaela Lewis • Student

I can’t recommend HackerYou highly enough! I had looked at a couple of schools and decided on HackerYou after my initial interview with Jenny, who was wonderful – she took the time to answer all of my questions thoughtfully and provided an awesome overview of each program.

I entered into the part-time Web Development course in Summer 2018 with no previous coding experience, and am amazed by the progress I’ve made in only three months. For my final project in the course, I made a multi-page website that has elements of jQuery and JavaScript.

The facilities are beautiful, the curriculum is spot-on, and my instructor Jazz and mentors, Allison and Meagan were approachable knowledgeable and made the material FUN.

I’ve already taken on a couple of projects for small businesses and I can’t wait to return to HackerYou to further my education. This school has honestly changed my life.

• Maggie • Junior UX Designer • Graduate

At 34 years old I was stuck in a minimum wage job while trying to run my own small business and I wanted to change the direction of where I was going. Next week, I turn 35 and start my first job in the web dev world as a Junior UX Designer/Developer. I have HackerYou to thank for that! Read on if you'd like to learn more about my journey from Barista to Developer:

At the start of 2018, after a lot of self-reflection and thinking about what I would enjoy doing, I decided to look into UX/UI and web development. At first I was interested in taking HackerYou's part-time UX course, so I set up an in-person consultation with Sam, one of the Admissions Coordinators. We had a great chat, but the UX course was geared towards those who had some experience in the industry/with coding, so he recommended me start with the part-time Web Development course to see if it was something I'd like and be interested in pursuing. Well, I loved it. After that course, I took the part-time JavaScript. I think my instructors Kristen (web dev) and Tiff (JavaScript) had a huge impact on how much I enjoyed learning at HackerYou. I decided to take the next step, applied for bootcamp and got my acceptance letter in June 2018.

You can find the current bootcamp curriculum on HackerYou's site as it changes to keep up-to-date with the ever-changing industry, but in my cohort (Summer 2018), we spent the first couple of weeks revising HTML5 and CSS3, then the bulk of the course focussed on JavaScript, jQuery, React, Firebase, Git and Github. Weekly projects made sure we were practising and using everything we were covering and it also helped with learning how to prioritise our time and work in pairs and groups. The instructor to student ratio was great, so you could quickly ask for help and feedback. By the end of the bootcamp, you will be ready to job hunt with a portfolio site!

What can't be beat is the HackerYou community. I've met the most amazing people in my cohort and made lifelong friends. Everyone had their own origin story and that made it even more interesting and encouraging. There is also so much support in all aspects of the bootcamp. The instructors and staff are all friendly and helpful and they really want their students to succeed. Heather, the CEO worked with us one-on-one after the bootcamp and gave us feedback and advice for our job-hunt. I got my first offer within a month of graduating, and I'm stoked to have had this opportunity.

If you are thinking of a career-change and like learning in a classroom surrounded by amazing students and staff then don't hesitate to choose HackerYou. Set up a consultation, get a feel for the environment and programs, and change your life :)

• KATHERINE NAVARRO

As an HTML/CSS developer, I have often mulled over learning JavaScript. This past summer, I finally took the leap and enrolled in the part-time JavaScript Fundamentals and Advanced courses at HackerYou.

I chose HackerYou because my daughter is an alumna and I was a first-hand witness to her excellent learning experience when she did the Web Dev course. HackerYou prepared her well for a web development career and gave her confidence to step into the tech world. She enjoyed the HY community so much that after finishing the program, she went back to mentor in a few courses.

Now, I can personally say that it was, indeed, an amazing learning experience! To start, HY is a very welcoming environment. Every HY staff I met was nice. My instructors and mentor (Jordan, Trudy, and Garrett) were knowledgeable and very accommodating; they always made sure no one got left behind in class. I liked the relaxed, but well-structured classes. I never felt uncomfortable asking questions.

The code-alongs were very engaging and I liked that they explained what each snippet of code does. I also learned a lot about the coding process—the analysis, the psuedocode, how to approach the solution, the valuable side comments, the real-world tips—things you don’t get when you do an online course.

The projects allowed us to not only apply what we’ve learned but also to challenge ourselves by doing more than what was required. I was amazed at what I accomplished after only several classes into the course. It was definitely very fulfilling to have completed the final project (API)!

At the beginning of the course, I was worried that I might not be able to grasp JS at my age, especially because the lessons were fast-paced. I’m glad that I took the leap and challenged myself. It feels good to learn a new skill!

Now that the course is over, I plan to continue doing JS exercises and small personal projects. If I don’t get a chance to try my hand at JS at work, at least I can read and understand some of the code other developers wrote and learn from them. The many $, {}, (), [] aren’t foreign to me anymore!

• Excellent course!
    - 10/9/2018
    Jonathan Hoy • Graduate

HackerYou’s part-time JavaScript course was an excellent opportunity to be introduced to the language. For people new to coding, such as myself, who might have only dabbled with HTML and CSS, learning JavaScript can be quite daunting as the logic and syntax of the language is quite different from HTML and CSS. The course does a great job of introducing core concepts and then advancing what can be achieved with those concepts.

What really stands out about the course to me is the freedom of the projects. Students have free rein to create almost anything with their projects. After seeing what my classmates created in their projects, it dawned on me how powerful JavaScript can be.

In university some of my professors felt out of touch with the subjects they were teaching but that is not the case at HackerYou. With instructors and mentors actively working in the field they leverage their own experiences to compliment the course material.

Not speaking specifically to this course but to HackerYou as a whole, the atmosphere is very open, welcoming and conducive to learning. Instructors and mentors are very easy-going and will answer any question that you might have. Even if they don’t have the answer immediately, they do remember and will get back to you once they have the answer.

I enrolled in HackerYou’s part-time JavaScript course with the intention of being introduced to JavaScript prior to HackerYou’s full-time Web Development Immersive bootcamp.

If you are considering a career change or are simply interested in or curious about web development in general, I highly recommend HackerYou!

• Mikaela • Front End Developer • Graduate

I recently graduated from HackerYou’s Immersive Bootcamp. It was the best decision of my life. All of the staff, students, and alumni are warm, welcoming and extremely supportive.

I originally took the Part-Time Web Development course thinking I wanted to learn a new skill, but I never thought that I would actually quit my job and take the Bootcamp. Long story short, this course was the most fun I’ve ever had learning (and on a Saturday!).  I immediately knew that a career in web dev and taking the Bootcamp was something I wanted to do.

The best part about going to HackerYou is the amazing group of students and alumni community that you get to be a part of.  Graduates help you during the Bootcamp in the form of Bootcamp Buddies and after class study sessions.  After the Bootcamp you’re still connected to everyone through Slack. I’ve asked graduates for coding help, references, referrals or tips if I was interviewing at with a company they now work at.  And at conferences and events, you will have an instant network of folks to connect with.

All the fun aside, this Bootcamp is more than a full-time commitment, they will push you as hard as humanly possible. You will eat, sleep and breath HackerYou during these 9-weeks. It is the only way to achieve the results they produce. If there’s one thing I wish I did differently, it would be to also take the Part-Time JavaScript course. The students who took this course, or had previous knowledge, were much more comfortable with programming basics from day one.

Getting a job isn’t easy or guaranteed, but I couldn’t imagine trying to do so without the help and tools from everyone at HackerYou!

• Sam Sakhavarz • Student

I’ve been working in client services at various digital agencies over the past 17 years. It’s been a fun ride, but after turning 40 I had a hard time seeing what my future looked like going forward. I realized that I had gained a passion for the digital craft itself, after spending several years collaborating with internal teams and clients on digital experiences. I decided I wanted to spend the next chapter of my career in the craft working as a web developer.

I discovered that Toronto had several places offering coding bootcamps; this seemed like the right fit for someone like me – didn’t want to lose too much time going back to school for another 4 yr degree program.

I met with several schools and decided to pursue HackerYou – why HackerYou? Aside from the data/stats/reviews which all ranked it #1, it felt most like a community that was really conscious about ensuring the school and student was a true fit. Other schools looked impressive, but I felt more like a prospective customer and they really just wanted “my business”.

After consulting with admissions, it was decided that the best path would be to take the part-time web dev course to prep for applying to boot camp. I took the course, loved it, learned a LOT! Unfortunately, I came up short getting into bootcamp – a bit disappointing, but the reality is they get 200+ applications and only accept 30-35 students per season. I was on a short wait list, so I came close! I was encouraged to apply to the next season’s bootcamp, and in the meantime, enrol in the part-time JavaScript course. I enrolled in the JavaScript course and just finished it!

If you are considering a career path in web development, I highly recommend taking this JavaScript course – assuming you’ve previously taken some kind of HTML/CSS course. The learning environment at HackerYou is extremely welcoming and unpretentious. You get to do lots of practical hands-on work at a nice pace, making the content very digestible. Theory and lectures are great, but when it comes to web programming you have to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty. The instructors really guide you well through each step and give you great tools and tips along the way. It’s a very inclusive class environment and they make sure no one gets ‘stuck’ or left behind. Not only did we have two instructors, there was also a mentor (e.g. teaching assistant) helping to keep everyone up to speed.

Overall, the course has loads JavaScript/JQuery content, giving you the foundation building blocks to get started. Make no mistake, the subject matter is complicated and there are a lot of abstract concepts that will have you scratching your head. But you come away with great material that can be referenced again and again. This stuff takes lots of practice and the HackerYou course content provides a great structure to practice and learn the right way.

I got into the upcoming Fall 2018 bootcamp session and I’m very glad I was able to take the part-time JavaScript course before this – it’s given me the time to digest the core concepts before diving right into the bootcamp. If you’re considering bootcamp, I highly recommend taking this path as well. It takes a bit longer but I think it really helps you prep for success in the long run. Cost-wise, you’ll also get some discounts on the bootcamp if you take the part-time courses, so that’s a nice perk!  I’m super excited and nervous about my next chapter, but I feel like having the HackerYou community in my corner gives me the skills and confidence to succeed.

• Samiah Khan • Student

I have completed the part time Web Development program of Summer 2018, with Jenny Veens being our incredible instructor. After doing some research online and reading about the enormous amount of positive reviews on HY, I applied online for the part time program and within the same day I have received an email from the admissions coordinator to attend a short interview at a time that suits me.

When I first arrived at HY, the first impression I got was this vibrant modern and cozy ambience which I immediately felt connected to. Had a great chat time with Sam, and he was so great in trying help me figure out the right curriculum for me, and gave to the chance to consider different options within a very tight time-frame, while I was making my decision.

The course syllabus has been well planned out, starts with the basics and keeps building on our previous gained knowledge and skill. Plus the notes are put in layman's terms, hence making it easy to grasp what we were being taught in class. Jenny, our incredible instructor, also made us work on coding exercises in class, and later took up the exercise to show us how she would have done the coding, and explains along the way of how she would keep the code clean and effective. Jenny's clear and organized communication and teaching styles was something that kept me alert in class. Overall my experience in learning at HY motivated me (and many other students) enough to come to all the classes and ahead of time.

Initially we are taught the Fundamentals of HTML and CSS, then we move on to the Intermediate HTML, Advanced CSS including SASS, responsive design, and JQuery. By the end of the program we are taught introductory JavaScript. There are a total of three projects we work on individually througout the program. And I believe this better equips us for the technical challenge if we apply for their full time bootcamp.