data-science-retreat-logo

Data Science Retreat

Berlin

Data Science Retreat

Data Science Retreat is a 3-month, full-time, immersive program for advanced data science and machine learning based in Berlin, Germany. DSR's rigorous bootcamp is taught in English and covers data science, business analysis, software engineering, communication, and career coaching. Founded in 2014, DSR provides state-of-the-art data science education and practical coaching to individuals, while also enabling businesses to identify and access untapped talent in a future-proof way. Participants get to work with real-world data and practical problems in order to develop a portfolio project, demonstrating that they can own a business problem, solve it, and communicate why their results are definitive.

DSR aims to help coders or people with quantitative training (like science, engineering, or math graduates) ramp-up rapidly for a data science career. Participants of the data science bootcamp have an average of 5 years of industry experience. Applicants must complete a 30-minute interview with DSR staff to discuss their background and education, and show their understanding of Python, data science, and machine learning.

Students receive career coaching including interview practice and assistance with resumes, cover letters, and LinkedIn profiles. Data Science Retreat has world-class mentors and partners, and provides networking events for students with top-tier technology companies. DSR also provides scholarships to applicants who are already involved with NGOs or for-profits working on projects related to social good, or who would like to start their own businesses focusing on positive environmental and/or social impact.

Recent Data Science Retreat Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (19) reviews for Data Science Retreat →

Recent Data Science Retreat News

• Data Science

LocationBerlin
    Data Science Retreat, one of the leading institutions for data science and machine learning training in Europe provides a 3-month immersive program to help people to transition into a data science career. The Data Science track is for numerate individuals with some experience in machine learning. The course focuses on advanced topics in machine learning and requires programming ability, but not as much as that of a professional engineer. In a nutshell: 12-week bootcamp in the heart of Berlin, the (tech) capital of Germany; a combination of 2 months of theory and 1 month of practical project work; an open source, state-of-the-art curriculum based on extensive experience in the latest machine learning techniques and data science methods with career coaching and communications training included; 15 world-class experts as teachers, instructors and mentors Small class size (10-14 students); language: English. Our approach: intense & immersive program; practical, very hands-on experience; collaborative & participative; state-of-the-art, open source learning materials; mentorship and career coaching; inclusive and diverse environment.
    Financing options available (e.g. Chancen). For more, please visit: https://datascienceretreat.com/financing/
    Tuition PlansFinancing options available. For more, please visit: https://datascienceretreat.com/financing/
    ScholarshipPartial scholarship for developers who want to learn machine learning and use it for social good.
    Minimum Skill LevelYou should be familiar with the basics of at least one programming language (even if it's not R or Python).
  • Alex  User Photo
    Alex • Senior Data Scientist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended (and graduated) from the very first batch of Data Science Retreat (DSR) which took place in Berlin from the beginning of May to end of July 2014 .
    Since I lot of time has passed since I graduated from this bootcamp / course, I think I can now properly asses the value that DSR added to my own career. Furthermore, since I stayed in contact with the bootcamp and the students which attended several of the later batches, I think I can also judge the development of the bootcamp over time.
    Overall, DSR helped my own career tremendously in several ways. My salary increased significantly after graduating and finding a new job and continued to increase in the years afterwards as the skills (many acquired at DSR) were in high demand. From my experience, this was true for most graduates of my batch as well as later batches.
    The curriculum of the first DSR batch was very relevant for my work after graduating and DSR also helped me to prepare for finding a job and negotiating a better salary etc. Many of the skills I learned at DSR are still relevant for me nowadays. A lot of the technical skills / knowledge is out of date now, but this normal for any technical profession, especially for a relatively new discipline as data science. At the same time, I think DSR made good adjustments to its curriculum to mirror the changes taking place in the industry, e.g. switching the main programming language from R to Python.
    All instructors at my own batch were quite good and had relevant industry experience. Our main instructor is now the Chief Data Officer at a prominent German FinTech company. In future batches, the quality of the instructors increased even more as the bootcamp became more well known and the instructors gained experience in teaching the same material over time.
    As my batch was the very first batch of DSR, we witnessed some growing up pains especially regarding the organization of the bootcamp, but this improved significantly over time and several years later DSR seemed to run like a well-oiled machine.
    DSR also helped my career by providing an excellent opportunity to network with professionals from my and later batches, instructors and all kinds of other relevant industry people. I used my connection to people I met through DSR several times to find solution for some technical problems or further my career. People associated with DSR are - for the absolute most part - also very nice folks to know and I am glad to say I made some good friends through DSR :)
    Again, overall I can wholeheartedly recommend DSR for people who have a relevant background & are looking for (and are willing to learn) a lot of new skills which will help them in their future data science career.
  • Solid Course
    - 2/17/2020
    Gillis  User Photo
    Gillis • Tech Lead • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I was in the first batch of data science retreat. I thought the course was solid and it helped me get a career in data science, and later software engineering. The atmosphere in the group was nice, and I made some friends whom I'm still in touch with. I also thought that the level and motivation of everyone was very high. The curricilum was quite intense with a balance of linear algebra and hands on data science. The teachers were passionate and mostly knowledgable. There were some session with industry people, which were interesting. So all and all I thought it was a good experience.
  • Ali Abul-Hawa  User Photo
    Ali Abul-Hawa • Data Scientist • Graduate Verified via GitHub

After spending 5 years in academia, I took a few MOOCs and found myself loving data science.

However, MOOCs were not giving me enough progress to becoming a data scientist. For a few weeks, I researched and applied to a few data science bootcamps worldwide. Some bootcamps focused heavily on statistics, which I found later on, are not true ML bootcamps. These are based on using statistical techniques to gain insights from data. Other bootcamps were too simple, and focused on SQL. However, I was after ML and artificial intelligence (A.I.), and that’s what I found at DSR.

Data Science Retreat covers a comprehensive, very intensive and practical training on using the most recent advances in the tools required to becoming a data scientist, machine learning engineer, and a very good understanding of big data handling (data engineering, distributed systems).

The instruction style is perfect; the instructors describe the main idea and let you struggle in finding the solution, which at the end, improves your ability to becoming independent and work on your own, being creative.

An important exercise at DSR is the portfolio project. Each participant has to come up with a product idea and implement it, which is challenging and fun. My mentor was very helpful in providing critical feedback on my deep learning project.

I have been in batch 8, which ended in December 2016. Since then, I am still in contact with DSR and they offer great support and recommendations to my job search.

Going through DSR, I am happy with my decision to join it. The staff, instructors, and other participants were all very helpful and in harmony.

What could have been done better?

- Focus more on making models for production in all the classes, such as machine learning pipelines, and enforce this through exercise from the early stages in the program.

- Provide more details on the job market for data scientists in Germany / Europe.

• Catherine • Biomedical Data Scientist • Graduate
    It was a good learning curve on ML for me. I learned as much from the students as from the teachers. Some students were already working on the field for several years and wanted to update and expand their knowledge.
    The big plus of DSR is that the teachers are bringing their working experience and expertise. So you don't only learn the perfect ML from the perfect dataset. You get out of DSR with a good professional network.
  • Max H. • Head of Data Science • Graduate
    I graduated Data Science retreat in Berlin in 2016 and had a very positive experience. Like most other students, I was trying to change my career from a related quantitative field into data science and machine learning and Data Science retreat was the perfect help to accomplish that.

About half the program was spent on lectures from experts in different fields from boosting algorithms to image recognition. Most teachers were practitioners and the quality of their courses was very good. Thanks to the small class size, you could always get help with your specific problems and questions.

The other half of the time was spend on developing an individual "portfolio project". You could freely choose what project to work on and were responsible for the outcome. Of course, you could ask the mentors for help every time.

At the end of the bootcamp the students presented their projects to an audience of potential employers. I got several interviews out of this and an offer at a startup which I accepted.
  • Alex Burgerman • Data Scientist • Graduate
    Great teaching from industry experts. Wide range of jobs at job fair. Freedom to explore ideas and work on interesting projects.
  • Samson Afolabi
    - 2/26/2020
    Samson • Data Scientist • Graduate
    Throughout my time at DSR, It was amazing the support I got from the teachers and Directors. It was obvious everyone was giving their best to make sure you understand accurately what they taught. The tutors were also experienced Data Scientist in the industry, which was helpful in learning the current trends in the Field.
  • Bastian Kubsch

The Data Science Retreat offers a comprehensive curriculum from industry experts who apply machine learning in their every-day jobs. It provides academic basics which are brought into practical perspectives with examples and exercises, commonly from the teacher's professional fields (unlike what MOOCs can offer).

This is definitely the course for those who want to maximise their development in the field of Data Science. You will be best prepared if you bring: i) at least basic coding skills in Python, ii) at least a basic understanding of the fundamental ML concepts (e.g. An Introduction to Statistical Learning by Gareth James + basics in ANNs), iii) enthusiasm to learn about new statistical concepts.

The course is what you make it. It provides you with a multitude of highly relevant and exciting topics as well as with the opportunity to deep-dive into each one of them. However, you choose how much you would like to deepen your knowledge in specific topics.

I myself took the most out of my portfolio project which forced me to revise and deepen specific topics as well as my coding. I worked with Adam on the prediction of marginal CO2 emissions from the Australian energy grid in order to reduce CO2 emissions. This kind of practical hands-on experience on a highly relevant industrial issue is difficult to get from online courses.

Although I know that DSR currently puts a stronger focus on it, one little thing that I found missing in my batch 19 was an enhanced focus on model deplyoment.

• DSR-bootcamp
    - 12/5/2019
    Edith Chorev Metger

If what you are looking for is a hands on course on data-science, with gaining practical experience then this is the course for you. It is a full immersion course where you learn about how to solve problems using machine learning. You cover a lot of topics with great teachers.

I had a great time and learned a lot about the real world uses of ML, and recommend the course hightly.

• Data Scientist
    - 12/1/2019
    Alex Tedeschi • Data Scientist • Graduate

An excellent, comprehensive course in the fundamentals of deep learning and applied statistics that provides students with the skill and mindset that ML experts and data scientists require to address real-world problems.  DSR draws from the expertise of its diverse teachering faculty, comprised of professionals and academics who are seasoned practitioners of data science in the modern workplace.  In parallel with intensive coursework in prediction modeling, neural networks, and cloud computing through python-based coding instruction, students learn best practices and identify one problem applicable to machine learning which they work together to solve, under the guidance of instructors, by the end of the course.

• Jack Kinsella
    - 11/30/2019
    Jack R. Kinsella

A wonderful, very educational experience, where I vastly improved not just my data science skills, but also my math and programming (and this I say as someone with over 10 years professional experience in the software industry.)

PS I wrote up my experiences at DSR in detail over on Towards Data Science, so if you'd like a deep look at what day-to-day life is like at this bootcamp, I'd recommend you take a look at that article.

• Data Scientist
    - 11/30/2017
    Lacin Ulas • Graduate

Hello Everyone,

I definitely recommend Data Science Retreat, if you are willing to step into Data Science. It is an out-of-box training program, very immersive, pushes you to your limits and offers you the different roads of data science field and you can dive into the specific field you feel excited with the support of your mentor and with the data science network you are immediately surrounded by.