coder-academy-logo

Coder Academy

Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney

Coder Academy

Coder Academy is an accredited Australian coding bootcamp located in Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane. The programming bootcamp offers a six-month 'Fast Track' program split into four sections covering computer science fundamentals and two full technology stacks – Ruby on Rails and MERN (Mongo, Express, React, and Node), as well as ReactJS.

Coder Academy teaches students in-demand skills with the goal of producing well-rounded, full stack developers. Students engage in face-to-face learning by industry experts using project-based coursework from successful bootcamps in Silicon Valley. Each student also partakes in a one-month internship placement in a real dev environment with a startup or tech company.

Coder Academy equips students with the most relevant programming skills and provides them with job readiness skills, networking opportunities, and career guidance.

Recent Coder Academy Reviews: Rating 4.74

all (101) reviews for Coder Academy →

Recent Coder Academy News

Read all (7) articles about Coder Academy →
  • Code, Cloud & Cyber Bootcamp

Start Date May 13, 2021
    LocationBrisbane, Sydney, Melbourne
    Cyber security is the fastest growing field of the information technology sector in which positions can't be filled fast enough. With the amount of data breaches, malware samples and hackers growing every year, the industry is frantically trying to employ experts who can defend against this new wave of cyber-crime. With estimates of 3.5 million unfilled cyber jobs by 2021, now is the perfect time to be trained or upskilled into a high paying, vitally important position. Coder Academy's Cyber Security Bootcamp is the first of its kind in Australia! The 7-month long, immersive, practical bootcamp will prepare those with an interest and passion in IT and cyber security for a career in one of the world's fastest growing and essential industries. With material created by Cyberscience and the course led by industry experts, the Cyber Security Bootcamp will provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to launch your career. The course also includes an optional 1-month internship, offering all students the opportunity to experience put their skills to the test within startups, tech companies, and large organisations. In undertaking the Cyber Security Bootcamp students will also study the ICT50715 Diploma of Software Development as part of the program. Successful completion of assessments will lead to the awarding of the ICT50715 Diploma of Software Development. Academy of Information Technology trading as Coder Academy; RTO 90511, PRV12005, CRICOS 02155J; an approved VET Student Loan and FEE-HELP provider.
    FEE-HELP government loans available for eligible domestic students. Find out more here: https://www.studyassist.gov.au/help-loans/fee-help
    Tuition PlansInstallment payments available (4 equal payments - 1 payment per term)
    ScholarshipOne Diversity Scholarship available per intake covering 50% of full tuition fees.
    Prep WorkPre-work will be distributed once student enrollment has been processed.
    May 13, 2021 - Brisbane Apply by May 11, 2021
    May 13, 2021 - Melbourne Apply by May 11, 2021
    May 13, 2021 - Sydney Apply by May 11, 2021
  • Fast Track Coding Bootcamp

Start Date February 22, 2021
    LocationBrisbane, Sydney, Melbourne
    Coder Academy has joined forces with the Academy of Information Technology (AIT) to bring you Australia’s only accredited coding bootcamp. Bootcamp-style learning has been proven successful in the United States as the most direct pathway for students with no prior coding experience to become employable developers in only a few months. Whether you want to up-skill, create a start-up, build an app, join a leading tech company, or travel the world as a digital nomad, Coder Academy provides you with the in-demand tools and cutting edge knowledge you’ll need for a lucrative career. Our full time Fast Track course offers revolutionary technology education in a collaborative and immersive environment, combined with the accreditation of Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA) and a nationally recognised higher ed Diploma of Information Technology.
    Tuition PlansInstallment Plan
    Scholarship50% Women in Tech scholarship available to one female applicant per intake per campus
    Minimum Skill LevelHTML & CSS preferred
    Prep WorkYou will be sent out pre-work to complete upon your enrollment into the course.
    February 22, 2021 - Brisbane Apply by February 15, 2021
    February 22, 2021 - Sydney Apply by February 15, 2021
    February 22, 2021 - Melbourne Apply by February 15, 2021
  • Flex Track Bootcamp

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, Rails, User Experience Design, CSS, Express.js, Node.js, Front End, Ruby
    Start Date March 22, 2021
    LocationBrisbane, Sydney, Melbourne
    Coder Academy's GenTech Bootcamp is designed for upskillers, career changers and those wanting to return to the workforce through tech. Whether you want to go straight into a Junior Developer career, or prefer to get a leg up before starting uni, this course was made with you in mind. Think of GenTech as the younger sibling of our highly successful Fast Track bootcamp. GenTech could be for you if you... - have recently left school and want a career in technology, but have missed out on training - want to career change in tech - want to get into tech following a career break - are a great problem solver & high achiever, but need to build confidence in 21st century skills - want a fast track to a great career or to feeling super confident in STEM at university During our time working with schools, we’ve noticed that students aren’t receiving sufficient coding & stem training. (We’re working on it!) This means students like you aren’t quite prepared for computer science, IT, or engineering degrees straight out of school, which leads to high dropout rates - especially for young women. GenTech was designed as an intensive year-long coding course to help these students build a foundation to succeed in a stem university degree, or if they prefer, to provide access to fantastic career opportunities as a junior developer. HANDS-ON, ENGAGING LEARNING Focus on honing your coding skills in a collaborative and inspiring environment with like-minded classmates. MEET THE EXPERTS Foster strong industry relationships through coder academy’s network. With access to contacts from top tier tech companies, students develop meaningful connections with expert educators, mentors, guest speakers, and industry partners. COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT Australia has a tight-knit developer community for students to get involved in. Set yourself apart by building valuable experience while you learn. Attend industry excursions, local hackathons, and other tech events. IN-DEMAND TECH SKILLS Graduate with the most in-demand, industry relevant set of programming skills in two technology stacks – Ruby on Rails & JavaScript mern stack (mongo, express, react & node). INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE Unlike university, colleges, or other bootcamp programs, Coder Academy coordinates a structured one month cadetship in industry. To enhance student learning, a key component of the GenTech program is introducing students to experts from industry and getting them comfortable with what is expected in the workplace. Coder Academy brings in numerous mentors from big tech companies like Atlassian, Gumtree Australia, and Amazon Web Services, and more, as well representatives from startups and agencies. Outside of the classroom, students are encouraged to partake in community tech events like hackathons, Meetups, and excursions. Unlike most education providers, Coder Academy is passionate about ensuring all of our students gain industry experience during the course of their study. During GenTech, students will partake in a 4-week long cadetship with anywhere between one and four companies in order to build connections, and better understand the demands and opportunities in the workplace. Students are matched with appropriate cadetship providers based on their career aspirations and performance during the bootcamp.
    FEE-HELP is available to eligible students
    Tuition PlansInstalment payments available
    Scholarship1 Diversity Scholarship available per intake to eligible Australian citizens covering 50% of tuition fees
    Minimum Skill LevelNone, but HTML/CSS preferred
    Prep WorkPre-work might be required
    March 22, 2021 - Melbourne
    March 22, 2021 - Brisbane
    March 22, 2021 - Sydney
  • Mark Pereira • Software Developer • Graduate

I got exactly what I wanted out of this course and more. I started off knowing very little code and had failed many times at trying to learn programming basics.

After starting the course we dove into Computer Science concepts which, looking back on now, I'm really thankful for. We then got onto HTML and CSS, and finished our first portfolio website.

After Learning front-end design we then mixed in Ruby on Rails which gave us a clearer understanding of the web and how it works. We built basic CRUD apps and APIs all using the wonderful framework that is Rails and then finished off by creating our own deployed application.

We finally moved onto Full Stack Javascript which included MongoDB, Express, Node, Angular and React. This part of the course was more tailored toward my liking as they let us code in either Angular or React but provided great resources for both. We finished off this section with a more realistic mindset of what Full Stack Web Development is and a basic JavaScript application.

This course took me from unemployable to employed in 6 months through the help of the team at Coder Factory. The team are all great sources of learning and are committed to help you succeed. Throughout my time in the course I made many great friends and from day one I was super happy with the environment I was introduced to. This isn't one of those courses in Sydney where people just keep their mouth shut and follow orders, this is a communicative environment where people are open, friendly and willing to help you out wherever and whenever you need it.

I can safely say that looking back I met many great people through this course and learnt critical skills to the industry. If you are looking to learn coding and also have a career in Sydney, this is the course for you.

• Web App Buider
    - 11/22/2016
    Simon Angell • Software engineer • Graduate

I recently completed the web app builder at Coder Factory and have never looked back. The course opened my eyes to what I could achieve with code and how to go about implementing my ideas with different technologies.

Before the course I was working in a career that provided me with little satisfaction or enjoyment. Now, with the help and support of the Coder Factory Team, I have landed my dream job as a full stack software engineer - all within months of quitting my full time job.

I couldn't reccommend these guys highly enough. Invest your hardwork/time into them, and they will reciprocate twofold!

• Marshall

I thouroughly enjoyed my time par taking in the Full time fast track course at coderfactory. I had limited coding knowledge going into the course and had only recently purchased my first mac. Now only a year later I have the ability to build and my own web apps from scratch. The instructors care about you and want you to succeed. They provide you with the best possible oppurtunity for a career change into the tech industry. Would reccommend to anyone!

• Noemi Alvarez • Graduate

My return to programming has been made much easier with the help of the Coder Factory. I had been previously a developer for over 6 years but I ended up changing careers for a while. However, recently fell in love with programming again. I needed to right motivation and spark to get back into the industry, and decided to enrol in the Web App Development course at the Coder Factory. It's been 9 weeks and I'm loving it. The course in the first two months I was comfortable with but in this final part, we are focusing on the needs of the projects of each student, which helps to acquire knowledge about solutions in a diversity of subjects. I recommend for programmers who want to upgrade their skills and for those starting out who don't understand anything about programming, as the content has been taught in a simple, clear and effective way.

• Justin Davidson • Web Developer • Graduate

The 6 month Coder Factory Academy fast-track course is a great experience from start to finish. The course content is modern and relevant. Throughout the course we were introduced to many technologies, frameworks and tools, all of which I have since used and relied on as a working professional web developer.

The teachers and supporting staff are extremely knowledgeable and are only too happy to answer questions and explain concepts in detail. They encourage creativity and provoke thought from their students. Throughout the course we also had a huge number of industry professionals and mentors come in for a chat, answer our questions and give valuable industry insight.

Additionally, I was blown away with the level of support received at the end of the course in gaining employment. I feel this is an invaluable aspect of the course that can sometimes be overlooked. To have reputable contacts fighting for you to get work makes that first step into employment well within reach, and graduating with a Diploma of Software Engineering helps a lot also.

Acquiring the skills needed to become a web-developer can be daunting due to it being such a broad industry, but by doing the Coder Factory 6 month fast-track course, and by being driven and self-productive, I have no doubt that anyone can successfully become a working web-developer.

• Alex Karolis • Software Developer @ Event Hub Sydney • Graduate

The CoderFactory Academy 6-month bootcamp is an intensive and thorough introduction to full-stack web development. I was part of the first cohort and recently graduated. I found the experience to be both thoroughly enjoyable and rewarding. I have also found work as a junior developer on graduating.

The course covers an array of skills that will give you the knowledge and tools you need to become employable as a full-stack web developer, or begin working on your own startup ideas.

The course begins with an overview of computer science, including some basics on computer hardware as it relates to software development. From there it quickly transitions to HTML and CSS, before moving to programming fundamentals with an emphasis on Ruby. The majority of the course, particularly in the begining, is based around creating full-stack web applications using Ruby on Rails. The scope is broad, and covers everything from the database layer, through to the front-end interface.

There is plenty of advice on how to use databases, including SQL and noSQL, building a CRUD application, and creating elegant UX/UI design. There is also scope, throughout the course, to pick up trending technologies like Angular and React.

Towards the end of the course, you are encouraged to broaden your skills toward your particular strengths and passion. I focused heavily on NodeJS and ReactJS, and was well supported by the team.

Another strength of the course is the interaction you will get with developers within the industry, which I found provided valuable insights. Most importantly, the teachers and fellow students are fantastic fun to be around, and were one of the most valuable assets of the course. In particular Pete Argent, Trent Shields, Dan Siepen, and Steph Schaffer were fantastic as teachers and mentors throughout the course, and were invaluable in preparing me for working as a developer upon graduation. My fellow students were also a fantastic bunch from a broad range of backgrounds, and I doubt I would have been successful without their support. I have come out of the course with great friends and good memories.

In the end, the course is what you make it. Hard work and a good attitude will go a long way toward preparing you for work as a developer. The CoderFactory Academy is the perfect place for you if you are ready to put in the effort. The support and knowledge they provide will give you what you need to succeed. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

• Aaron Takizad • Student & Intern

I'm currently attending the Part-Time Web App Developer Course and it is by far the best web development course I have experienced, mainly for these reasons:

- Students are given after-hours support via Slack

- The latest web development technologies are taught with best practices (already teaching Rails 5!)

- Unlike most bootcamps, the teachers go into the necessary Comp Sci theory to produce better developers.

- I've also seen other students who have missed classes be given the opportunity to catch up via 1-on-1 instruction after classes!

- We're given the best resources out there in order to develop our skills outside class, along with detailed class notes for each lesson so we can prepare ourselves for next class.

• Arunava Das • Graduate

I have acquired a new way of thinking about solving problems through technology from the part-time coding courses I attended in Coder Factory. They teach through a lot of actual coding practice. The more you practice the better.

• Neil • Graduate

Thoroughly enjoyed being apart of the 12 week Ruby on rails course at Coder Factory and learnt a lot helping me launch my first few websites. Great for those just getting started in coding!

• Master's Class
    - 3/27/2015
    Hugh Jones • Owner • Graduate

I just completed the 1Q15 Master's Class at Coder Foundry.  If you want to jump-start your career, this is your place.  It is a professional environment that leaks integrity from the top down.  We learned ASP.net, javascript, CSS, HTML5, AngularJS and related in a Visual Studio environment.  The instructors provide direction, and rather than hand-holding they encourage you to develop problem solving skills that will extend beyond the course.

Check out Coder Foundry if you are serious about upgrading your skills and getting a great job.

Just a heads up for those people reading through these reviews, I'd like to suggest taking them with a grain of salt. I've spoken with a number of these people leaving reviews throughout the course and they've said many things which leaves me baffled as to why they would leave 5 star reviews. I imagine it's a combination of them forgetting how they felt throughout the course, just being happy now that they are nearing its completion, or being concerned that there will be negative ramifications if they leave a negative (or accurate) review.

Pros:

- I've learnt a lot and am ultimately happy I've done the course.
    - I've been placed into an internship at a great company which could set me up for moving into the industry.
    - Met great people throughout the course
    - The teachers make themselves easily available to message any day of the week if you have any questions about the content (although I feel like this could also lead to burnout as they don't necessarily take as much time away from the course as they need to).
    - Feedback was recieved and action taken when people were unhappy with a number of things (so this means the below cons may have been mitigated somewhat). However, this took a long time to happen and numerous complaints and discomfort during classtimes (it was clear the lead teacher had read negative feedback and made a number of passive agressive and self-deprecating comments as a result).

Cons:
    - Course content was all over the place with no clear structure of what was going on from day to day.
    - A teacher was let go during the course. I'd speculate that that was in relation to his behaviour in class, lack of willingness to record videos of the lectures, and general attitude. During the teachers deterioration, the number of students showing up to class dropped significantly because people found it more useful trying to self-learn (I understand that self-learning is a part of becoming a web developer but I signed up to the course so I didn't have to purchase additional online courses.)
    - CSS teaching was really disappointing, at that point I considered leaving the course because we were just told to play online CSS games and were just watching videos in class (we could do this at home).
    - The teachers were clairly unhappy with how management operated in Sydney, which as a student I didn't need to be exposed to. Would have been more professional to deal with it in meetings rather than being vocal about it in class (which distracted from the reason we were here).
    - Communication from those providing job assistance was lacklustre. We were provided example CVs hours before we were told we needed to submit our own (and the examples didn't relate exactly to our situation because they were post-internship CVs and we were applying for our internships). I'm about to start my internship in a week and do not have the email of the person I will be working for and am not even sure what time I will be starting (the job assistance has however told me they have scheduled an email for next week).
    - Mentor talks were hit and miss and we were often convinced to show up to class without them saying what for (this is because they often weren't great).
    - Teachers suggested we do a number of things just to tick boxes rather than put a positive spin on the fact that we were learning skills that might be useful. Discrete maths was just something we "needed to remember for the test" but it cost us a lot of money to be here so I'd prefer they emphasise the fact that this could be useful in software development.
    - The way people were assigned to internships seemed like a lucky dip with people who I know are capable web developers not receiving any interviews while others recieved 3.

My time at Coder Academy was one of the best experiences of my life! I made life long friends, got employed but most importantly I rediscovered my passion for learning.

Before going to Coder Academy, I was working a job that I had no passion for, or was challenged in. I had finished University and thought I can't be doing this for the rest of my life. I had no idea on how to code, or even the mindset you should take when tackling these big problems. My friend was a developer and I was always interested in the problems they solved, so I decided to give Coder Academy a real go.

In my opinion, Coder Academy really separates itself from the pack for 4 key reasons.
    1) The staff are amazing, and really care about you as a person and want you to succeed. One of the annoying things about finishing is I don't see them as much as I use to!
    2) You will be surrounded by like minded people who you really learn from and grow with. This sort of environment will expedite your learning!
    3) 27 Weeks instead of 12 weeks like other bootcamps. In my opinion the concepts you cover cannot be absorbed in 12 weeks and I really enjoyed the longer time.
    4) The internship! I was not hired where I interned,  however the learning experience was fantastic. Lucky enough I was able to get a job after because of the contacts provided for me by Coder Academy.

You get what you put in, and if you truly immerse yourself in this experience I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Ask lots of questions! Go to meet-ups! Go to Hackathons! You are in a place where your learning is number one priority and if you make it yours then good things will naturally follow.

Overall, the course will not teach you everything about coding, but that's not what is important. What is important is learning how to learn and loving it, since that's what your life will be as a developer.  This is a fantastic launching pad for your career and I wish anyone who does it good luck and to have fun!