bitmaker-general-assembly-logo

Bitmaker General Assembly

Toronto

Bitmaker General Assembly

Bitmaker General Assembly offers full-time immersive courses in web development and UX & product design, along with 10-week part-time offerings in front-end web development, user experience design, digital marketing, product management, and data analytics. Startup accelerators launch companies; Bitmaker launches careers.

Acquired by General Assembly in 2016, Bitmaker continues to empower its students to pursue work they love. It starts by surrounding students with a cohort of highly motivated, entrepreneurial learners and a team of tech industry leaders. Then Bitmaker teaches the skills top companies are looking for and gives the confidence needed to grow long after the course is over. The Bitmaker team is comprised of industry experts who have experience working at Shopify, Symantec, Pagerduty, and Wave. Bitmaker believes that in the right environment, you can do anything.

Recent Bitmaker General Assembly Reviews: Rating 4.41

all (50) reviews for Bitmaker General Assembly →

Recent Bitmaker General Assembly News

Read all (11) articles about Bitmaker General Assembly →
  • Data Analytics

Data Structures, Excel, SQL
    In PersonFull Time
    LocationToronto
    Learn a powerful framework to understand data, from exploring and managing data sets to performing analysis and communicating insights. Following the data, rather than hunches, enables individuals and companies to make better decisions. You'll go hands-on with everything from spreadsheet modeling to visualization tools and build a final all-inclusive project with your new skills.
  • Digital Marketing

Digital Marketing
    In PersonPart Time
    LocationToronto
    Marketing has never been more accessible or flexible for small and large businesses. If you need to understand the landscape of digital marketing tools and gain some practical advertising skills, this course is a great starting point. You'll get the skills to create campaigns the right way. Over the course of 10 sessions, you’ll learn how to plan and execute a digital marketing campaign. Each session will include a lecture and workshop combination, giving you the opportunity to go hands-on with top platforms. You'll get to spend real ad dollars on real clients.
    DepositNo deposit
  • Front-End Web Development

HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Git, jQuery, Front End
    LocationToronto
    Our part-time Front-End Web Development course teaches students how to build beautiful client-facing websites. Students learn how to go from sketches to code using HTML, CSS, UNIX, and JavaScript. Whether you're a designer who needs to prototype user experiences or a manager who works with technical teams, these skills are becoming as ubiquitously expected as word processing.
  • Product Management

Product Management
    In PersonPart Time
    LocationToronto
    Learn to navigate the product cycle, from evaluating users and analyzing competitors to creating an MVP and developing success metrics. Learn how to identify risks and opportunities at every stage of the process to lead a product's creation. You'll go hands-on every step of the way, to build and present a product roadmap.
  • User Experience Design

User Experience Design
    LocationToronto
    Learn the skills required to design amazing user experiences. This course will focus on developing and applying course design principles to web and mobile design. You will learn how to create a visual hierarchy with emphasis on the actions you want your user to take. You will use the tools of the trade with hands-on projects in this course to build a portfolio of work. User Experience Design will help you get comfortable working with the restrictions of on-screen design and applying essential principles to everyday design projects.
  • UX and Product Design Full-Time

Design, User Experience Design
    LocationToronto
    Want to get into the exciting field of UX design? This is the course for you. Learn how to design amazing app and web experiences. Whether you have some experience in another design discipline or are just a design enthusiast, this course will prepare you to jump into your first UX role. This isn't a typical, theory-heavy course. At Bitmaker, you'll develop your design chops with hands-on assignments everyday. You bring it all together in a comprehensive portfolio project that demonstrates your new skills and design thinking.
    ScholarshipGrace Hopper Scholarship for Women in Technology. The $500 scholarship is applied to all women participating in Bitmaker’s immersive program – no application necessary.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer skills
    Prep WorkMandatory prep course that includes learning design fundamentals and the basic use of popular design tools
  • Web Development Full-Time

Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, Git, HTML, CSS, jQuery, Sinatra, SQL, Front End
    LocationToronto
    Our immersive Web Development course has been helping students jump into full-stack development careers for years. Constantly evolving to feature emerging and in-demand technologies, this course teaches object-oriented programming fundamentals and prepares you for a career in web development. By the end of the course, you will have created and deployed several web applications. With hundreds of graduates, our Web Development course is proven to help students reach their goals – whether upgrading existing skills, starting fresh in a new career, or launching their own business.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
    Prep WorkMandatory prep course that covers the basics of HTML, CSS, Git, Unix and Ruby
  • Cheyenne Arrowsmith • Graduate

I had my eye on Bitmaker ever since I read about them in the Star back in 2012 and as soon as I had the opportunity to attend I jumped at the chance. And I'm very happy I did! The program was tough - there were a few tears - but the skills and drive instilled in my by the instructors have literally turned my life around.

Make no mistake, learning about web development in general is not easy. But it is accessible. And my experience at Bitmaker allowed me to build on a rudimentary understanding and add new skills to my resume.

I know that a lot of people may look down on learning Rails vs a pure Javascript platform but I'm happy to have been introduced to this world via Rails. It's a very user friendly experience as a beginner and it allows you to learn the full path of building and deploying an actual project in the real world. Javascript and its many libraries and frameworks can be learned though hard study and practise, something that only 9ish weeks cannot give you. But learning the web back to front gives you a much better idea of how everything fits together without having to worry about compilers or configs or semicolons oh my!

Bitmaker was definitely the right choice for me, and if you're a take charge kind of person who loves to tackle new problems head on I think it would be a great fit for you too!

- 9/7/2016
    Stephanie • Front-End Developer • Graduate

Great experience. What you're paying for is the mentorship which increases your learning speed. I would reccommend it to people who are looking to get into a career change. Just note that you definitely need to put in a lot of work to get results. I made a lot of long term friends and a job in tech.

• Rob Holody • Creative Director • Graduate

Bitmaker was an amazing experience. The culture, educators and space were perfect and effectively boosted my confidence and expertise in the tech industry. Highly recommended!

• Rui Dong • Student

Just finished week 4.

If you have a can-do attitude, you'll do great. If you are a self-starter, you'll do great. If you love to meet new people, and are not scared of asking for help, you'll do great. If you have the mental fortitude for going through complex materials day after day, you'll do great.

If you think that you can "pay and play", this is not for you. If you think your money will oblige them to give you a job, this is not for you. If you have a negative attitude, likes to complain and make excuses, this is not for you. If you are afraid to ask for help and don't like to "bother" others, this is not for you. If you take yourself too seriously, this is not for you.

If you read this far, you'll notice that pre-existing technical background has not been mentioned. We currently have a paramedic, pipe-line designer, flight attendant, councilor to special needs kids, designer, English teacher and a bunch of others in our class.

This has opened a field for me that used to be alien, and now is endlessly fascinating.

• Web Development
    - 4/12/2016
    Am • Graduate

Going to Bitmaker has been one of the best decisions I have made. Over the 9 week course I was amazed at the what I learned and how far I progressed.

Prior to Bitmaker I took couple of course at a local college in web development (it just covered basic HTML and CSS), but felt these courses really lacked in real life application. Bitmaker helped me to start to develop the skills to become a full time web developer.

The instructors and staff are exceptional. There is always an instructor available to help trouble shoot code, or provided some extra explanation about new concepts. Bitmaker also offer great interview and career prep and help you get started on your job hunt.

• Web Development
    - 4/11/2016
    Gowri • Graduate

I started this course not knowing a thing about Web Development. I hadn't written a single line of code. I come from a design background and the Ruby on Rails Web Development course was the only course available at the time. It was one of the most challenging things I've ever done. The 9 weeks for me was an intense crash course but there was support from all the instructors and TAs everyday. Every time anyone’s computer started acting up there was always someone willing to sit down and take the time to help figure out what the problem was. I met so many talented people who were generous with their time and I’ve made some great friends in the Bitmaker community.

The only thing, I would have liked to have had more time with Javascript but all the topics had to be pretty compressed. Now they have the Frontend Course so that probably solves the lack of JS . Pair programming is great, you learn how to work with other people which really helps me now at my current job.

They really do go out of their way to try and help with the job search after you're all done. I was lucky enough to get my current job through Bitmaker. I work as a UI & UX designer and do mainly frontend dev. I don't do any backend dev but this course helped me understand what's required on the backend in order to plan for the frontend and the users.

• Ruby on Rails
    - 4/11/2016
    Anonymous • Data Scientist • Graduate

Looking to up my knowledge of how data and backend development worked. As someone who already knew Python, SQL, and Linux I found this course really interesting. A bit too much time was spent on Github.... This could have probably been included in the pre-class homework.

• Atom Wenzel • Digital Marketing Coordinator • Graduate

I work as a Graphic and Web Designer in a small marketing company.  We have to be very versatile and have many skillsets since we are a small department of a big company.  My Front-End Developments skills were pretty intermediate but I was looking to become faster and work cleaner.  So I recently took the Front-End Web Development night course at Bitmaker in Toronto to advance my skill sets and discover new resources to assist in my job. I had minimal expectations as my understanding of HTML/CSS was already very advanced.  The first 2 weeks were a little redundant for me, but after the first 2 weeks, I was learning tricks and skills that I didn't even know existed.  In 12 short weeks I went from a novice to a professional.  The professors were extremely helpful, and even stayed till 11pm one night to diagnose a computer issue for me.  The course is very demanding, since there is so much information to learn and cover in 12 short weeks.  I spent a good chunk of time on weekends doing reading and drills to make sure my skills advanced to where I needed to be for the following week.  I wouldn't recommend this course to anyone who is unwilling to do this homework/studying as you wont take anything away from the course.  This course is definitely for people with serious interest in Front-End, and not just hobbyist.  If I had to list a complaint, my only complaint would be that some of the students didn't take the course as serious as me. I was there for work and was trying to absorb as much information as possible.  However, I found many students wouldn't do the homework, or drills/reading, and wouldnt be at the level they needed to be at for the following class.  This would then slow down the class getting all the students up to speed.  Not really a Bitmaker issue though.  Overall, I am fully satisified with my experience.  I would love to take more courses at Bitmaker.

I took a part-time responsive design course at Bitmaker in the summer of 2014. I learned a lot considering the limitations on how many hours we spent there each week. More than anything else, it provided a base in web development which allowed me to learn a lot more on top of that foundation which I laid there. I came out feeling confident I am capable of mastering these skills and since then feel I've made a lot of progress.

• Jennifer Leung • UX Designer • Graduate

I took a front end dev course with Bitmaker labs in order to participate more in the front-end development of projects as work. Mina was detailed in his explanations and the TAs were incredibly helpful during office hours. Since I had background knowledge in HTML/CSS, it was a bit slow to start, but once we got to using bourbon/neat, there was more than enough work to get done.

I'd definitely recommend anybody looking to sharpen up their skills to take this course

• Ad Optimization
    - 11/18/2015
    Amanda M • Marketing Specialist • Graduate

Having a background in marketing and online ad buys, I was concerned this class would be too general for me. I appreciate that there was still a lot to learn! The most important thing to take away from this course is the case study focus - build a campaign and bring it with you each week. That will allow you to tweak the ad sets and copy under the guidance of a true expert. Instead, we were working on a live brand (but not one I had experience in knowing the audience or copy). So it was relevant for the practice, but not as useful to my daily life as working on my own brand would have been. Overall, the connections to the instructor, guest presenters and inside information of how campaigns are truly run was incredibly valuable and worth taking even if you have a background in online ad campaigns.

• Anonymous • Developer/Systems Analyst

I took the Front end web development course as I was interested in taking the Bitmaker course and ofcourse in learning the tools and web development languages. Overall it was a great experience. The TAs and the professors were really helpful in answering any necessary questions. The course material was up to date and ofcourse you get hands on skills with the mini projects.

It was probabbly not the best course targeted towards me. I initally wanted to take their web development development bootcamp coruse  but it didn't work as I work full time. I should have taken the ruby on rails course. I do wish they would come out with a part time course for web development instead of the intensive bootcamp. I think it would be a great refresher for me.