app-academy-logo

App Academy

Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle

App Academy

App Academy is an immersive 12-week Ruby-focused web development course with campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy has a full stack curriculum covering Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based upon a hands-on approach; students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete 2 coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in AppAcademy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy's job search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview focused skill sets. Upon graduation, students will have a portfolio of real-world projects to show to prospective employers. App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. Students are only required to pay a placement fee if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy also has two other pricing models for students — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.7

all (665) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (25) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

Start Date November 18, 2019
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over twelve weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    November 18, 2019 - San Francisco Apply by September 20, 2019
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $500 will be required.
    Tuition Plans$20,000 Upfront Plan $27,000 Hybrid Plan ($10k upfront, $17k deferred) $30,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $500 deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.

• $500 App Academy Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive App Academy scholarship for $500 off tuition!

Offer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship.

• In-Person Full Stack Web Development (San Francisco)
    • In-Person Full Stack Web Development (New York City)

• Ale Castillo  User Photo
    Ale Castillo • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Things you should know before attending App Academy. 1. It is as demanding as people claim. 2. It is not as hard as it sounds if you do 100% of the work and devote all of your remaining time to filling in the gaps in your understanding of key concepts. You go through a lot of material very fast: keep in mind that your learning style will need to adjust to the demands of the environment.

Personally, a/A changed my life! I met great people, and had interesting conversations. I look forward to landing my fetal SWE job soon.

• Annie Giang  User Photo
    Annie Giang • Student Verified via GitHub

I've learned more through a/A than if I had continued to be self-taught. a/A laid a strong foundation on fundamental concepts that apply across various technologies. I've become a stronger debugger, problem solver, and engineer. Each night we had readings and homework to prepare for the next day's lecture and pair-programming project. The TA's are supportive and knowledgable about the curriculum, as they were students themselves prior to becoming a TA. They can be overstretched but they do their best to help.

The striking system for assessments kept me accountable to stay on track. We got one free fail and had to do a retake if we failed a second assessment - failing the retake meant dropping out. This can be daunting but there's a great amount of support and resources. Your chances of failing decreases immensely if you reach out to the people around for help when you're stuck and devote a strong amount of time into studying. a/A also provides practice assessments for test preparation and they will recommend you to do them many MANY times.

After the last assessment, you'll begin working on projects to apply what you've learned into building your portfolio. There will be less handholding and more independence, which more or less simulates what it's like to be a Software Engineer.

• Jordan Black  User Photo
    Jordan Black • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I recently just finished up at App Academy and I want to say to anyone thinking about attending that the program is great, and that being said the people are even better. Whether it be the management staff, the instructors, or other students/graduates  nearly everyone involved at App Academy was very welcoming, helpful and really strived to foster an inclusive learning environment. Really can't emphasize enough how much I've learned in the last few months, and not just about coding but about being successful in general.

• Jeffrey Bui  User Photo
    Jeffrey Bui • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

My experience at App Academy was great! I had so much fun learning how to code and am grateful for this life-changing experience! Like many of the online sources say, it IS really challenging. In the 3 months that you dedicate to App Academy, it is essentially the only thing that you can focus on. However, it is very rewarding in the end and you gain so much knowledge in such a short amount of time. Here are some personal tips and key points that I picked up from my experience at App Academy (Please note that this is from MY experience, and people accomplish/approach things in different ways):

1. App Academy is challenging, but not INSANELY challenging. In my experience, I was able to keep up with App Academy's curriculum while maintaining some social/personal life. Other people say that they dedicate every day, every hour, every minute to App Academy (which is fine), but I felt that there was more free time than initially expected. I would be able to spend my Saturdays and sometimes Sundays doing social/personal stuff, and I honestly felt that this was needed.

2. SLEEP is important. The instructors at App Academy can't stress this enough either. I think the thing that kept my stress level low and made my experience enjoyable was the fact that I forced myself to sleep with my regular schedule (I slept at 10:30pm and woke up at 7:30am everyday). I never felt tired during the working hours and I was still able to keep up with the curriculum.

3. You have to put in the effort to maintain this healthy lifestyle. The only reason why I was able to have fun on the weekends and get 8-9 hours of sleep everyday was the fact that I worked hard during the working hours. It's just as they say - work hard, play hard. If you actually pay attention during the lectures and actually put in your effort during the projects, you'll be able to absorb the information better, especially if you're not tired or stressed. My previous advice isn't to show that App Academy is easy, it's to show that there is a way to maintain good health and a happy lifestyle while going through the rigorous curriculum.

Closing thoughts:
    I definitely don't know as much as those who dedicated every minute of their lives studying and working on App Academy, but I can confidently say that I was one of the happiest people there and truly enjoyed everyday of my experience with low stress. My approach was all about balance in my life, and I succeeded and made it to the end! Obviously, people work differently. If you need to lose some sleep to catch up on studying, that's fine. If you need even less days to study and can spend all weekend relaxing, that's fine too. I think the main thing is to not worry about what/how others are doing, and only focus on yourself and what YOU need to be successful and healthy.

• Lam  User Photo
    Lam • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

App Academy was a difficult program but rewarding when you get through it. This is a bootcamp and it was meant to be gruesome. At times certain days would be a slow grind to do the projects but these are part of the learning process. The instructors will do their best to prepare you for the materials taught. You need to believe in their system and do your best. App Academy's curriculum will prepare you to be a developer in the current job market.  At the end of the day the work and time you put in this program will determine your success.

• Learned so much
    - 10/9/2019
    Jason Liao  User Photo
    Jason Liao • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I'm decided to give coding a try after realizing that I did not want to pursue a career as a Physician Assistant. At first, I was really skeptical about joining a bootcamp. Questions like "Am i smart enough to code?", "Can I really learn all that in three months?",  and "Will I get a job?" were always in my head before I decided to do this. Currently, I'm a few days from graduation from a/A and I think it was the right choice. I am smart enough to code, I did learn a lot in the three months, and I believe I will get a job because most graduates on average find one within 1 - 6 months. The process of the bootcamp though was really time consuming and you are literally coding every single day for basically the whole day. However, it is only in this type of environment where you can learn so much in three/four months, where you can really get grasp whether you would like a job in this industry or not. A lot of the reviews I've read before a/A said that it was really stressful, but I personally did not feel that way. I feel like if you do what you're supposed to do, and follow the curriculum,  you can go through it not be stress. Plus, you also get to meet a lot of cool and smart people along the way. Shoutout to BCho and Sam.

• jimmy  User Photo
    jimmy • Graduate Verified via GitHub

As a new developer, you will learn a lot from App Academy and they will teach u everything you need to know to start building full fledge web apps. After spending 3 months of learning the full stack, it was satisfying to finally make websites that I could be proud to show off to employers. Expect App Academy to challenge you, it is called a boot camp for a reason. If you are completely new to programming, the beginning will be tough since you will have to reprogram your mind to think like a computer. If you put in the hours and commitment, software development can be the most rewarding discipline where you can build anything into reality.

• Eric Amrhein  User Photo
    Eric Amrhein • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

App Academy is an incredibly fast-paced and time-intensive program. The way their course system is set up, once the immersive starts, you are pushed into the deep end and must devote 100% of your time to learning to succeed. They do a very good job of integrating solo work, pair programming, and whiteboarding to truly learn how to work with other people. The curriculum gives just enough of technology to truly understand it, then moves on to a new subject right away. Things move at a very fast pace, and it's very easy to get behind early if you take it too easy, and if you do this at the begining it snowballs.

The main draw of App Academy over other programs is that they are invested in your success. They make the curriculum hard on purpose because they only want people with the drive to succeed. There is more curriculum than anyone could reasonably get through in a normal day, so be 100% prepared to have no life while you're working through it. The 80-100 hours per week that people talk about is not an exaggeration.

All Things considered, the past 24 weeks have been a grueling but very rewarding experience.

• Stan  User Photo
    Stan • Student Verified via GitHub

App Academy was probably the most challenging and most rewarding experience of my life. In the 4 months that I was in the course, I learned all the tools necessary in order to call myself a software engineer. I went from knowing absolutely nothing about coding to creating my own Instagram app clone.

My favorite part of App Academy at was the networking and the amount of friends I was able to make in such a short span of time. By the end of my cohort, I was acquainted with most of the students and had developed meaningful relationships with them. In addition, my cohort mates were an excellent asset when it came to asking for help when the TAs were busy helping other students.

App Academy's deferred tuition model was the reason I chose to attend. As a risk-averse individual, I was instantly drawn to this business model because I knew this meant that they truly believe in their program. If I was ever stuck on a project, the TAs, who are very knowledgeable of the material and super friendly, would help me within a moment's notice. While they do not guarantee you a job after graduation, this is probably the closest thing to a guarantee that you can get. All of the career coaches are invested in your success and will give you all the tools and resources you'll need to succeed.

This program was very rigorous and time-consuming, but I am proud of myself for having made it through to the end. I now have a great foundation coming out of it and can't wait to showcase my skills during the job search.

• Owen Haupt  User Photo
    Owen Haupt • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

App Academy has been amazing. It is hard, rigorous, and oh-so rewarding. The curriculum is focused but not to focused. All of your learning prepares you not only for the job search, but for continuing your curiosity on your time by giving you so many many jumping-off points to explore on your own. Working on the portfolio projects at the end is even a good example of this.

• Robert Yeakel  User Photo
    Robert Yeakel • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

In this review, I'm going to cover some general questions based on my experience with the App Academy online cohort.

1. Should you apply for a coding boot camp? I can't give you a straight answer for this because it depends on your situation. But in my case, it was worth it for me, since my goal was to learn about full-stack web development and software engineering to be as fast as possible. I think App Academy does a great job at that, and you will be surprised at how quickly you can learn here. It would have taken me far longer of self-studying to be where I'm at today. Not to mention, I've also made some great friends along the way that I talk to every day.
    2. How should one prepare before applying to App Academy? I did the intro-to-programming section offered on https://www.aaonline.io and felt that I was ready to schedule a technical interview with AA. I was not, I failed my first interview and was lucky enough to get invited back for another. After failing, I realized that I needed much more practice. I practiced on https://www.codewars.com every day up until my next interview. You need to time yourself and talk out loud through the problem-solving process, preferably to a friend or family member. You should also be very comfortable working with arrays and hashes in Ruby and solving problems that may require nested loops. Sidenote: https://www.leetcode.com is another excellent place to practice.
    3. How many hours per week to get through the program? Like many have said before me, this boot camp is no joke. Even if you put in 80+ hours per week, you will only be scratching the surface of the topics covered. But this is the tradeoff of getting yourself job-ready as fast as possible.
    4. How stressful is the program? If you have no programming experience, you will need to study hard to pass the six assessments. They cover Ruby algorithms, Ruby Object-Oriented Programming, SQL, Ruby on Rails, React, and JavaScript. If you fail two of the assessment tests, you must retake one of their choosing. If you fail the retake test, you will be booted out. Yes, it's stressful, but keep your focus on the material and the great job that you're going to get out of it, and you'll be fine.
    5. How is the curriculum? I think that some of the newer content at the end of the curriculum could use some improvement. But for the most part, it's fantastic. I know some people may be turned off by Ruby and Ruby on Rails, but don't worry about it, you will also build full-stack applications with the MERN stack.
    6. How are the instructors? From my experience, they were knowledgable and friendly. Leave the ego at the door and pick their brains as much as possible. They are a valuable resource.
    7. What is a day like at App Academy? At 8 AM we would meet on Zoom, the instructors would cover the daily material before splitting us up into random pairs to work on the day's projects. Throughout the day, we had access to the instructors to ask them questions. About an hour before the end of the day, we would all meet to cover the material in the day's project. Before the next day, we would then complete the assigned homework.

Great experience and I would do it again.

• Arshia  User Photo
    Arshia • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Saying that App Academy is a full time commitment is the understatement of the year. This was an incredibly fast paced program with a focus on learning how to code featuring patient instructors and competent classmates.
    It is amazing how much I have learned at App Academy and what's even better is that I now know I have the skills needed in order to learn quicker than ever before.
    Highly Recommended.

• Just Graduated
    - 9/30/2019
    Ken  User Photo
    Ken • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

App Academy is the best decision I have ever made. It is a very grueling experience, you need to be fully committed when you decide to take on this endeavor. If software engineering is your passion then this will be worth the time and effort. I don't want to get into the technical details of the program, there are plenty of resources available for that.

• Cameron Farina  User Photo
    Cameron Farina • Frontend Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Coming from someone with zero experience, I was legitimately scared to even apply to App Academy. I came from a startup and knew what it was like to work nights and weekends so the hours that I was seeing (90-100 / week) in order to excel at aA wasn't too worrisome, but with no coding experience I thought there was a chance I'd fail out.

There's no sugarcoating it, if you apply to aA say goodbye to your social life, let your family know you won't see them for a couple months, and you probably have to cancel whatever plans you have lined up in the coming months. But it's worth it. I started in April, and my end date (when the job search STARTS) is October 4th. It's September 30th today and I'm enjoying my week off because I accepted an offer last week. I worked incredibly hard to be where I am right now, I began interviewing early after being reached out to by numerous companies and received an offer before the job search actually began. I'm INCREDIBLY confident had I not applied early I would be in the same position, as the career coaches and material were SPOT ON from what I saw in my interviews. I would have actually had more success had I waited to apply -- I was under-prepared for numerous roles, which would have been taken care of if I had waited -- so I have nothing but positive things to say about Eli and the entire job search portion.

There is no way of knowing whether or not you're made for this unless you go and do it, so give it a try. The only thing you have to lose is some time and maybe some sleep -- but you have an entire new life to gain. Financial independence, work / life balance, a fulfilling job and endless connections. If you're even remotely on the fence about applying to aA, I hope you take the chance.

• Michael Warner  User Photo
    Michael Warner • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

App Academy is a fast-paced program for getting you practical experience with many different relevant technologies in a very short amount of time. Right off the bat once the immersive portion kicked into high gear, we got exposure to Git, data structures, and we were pair programming daily through the day’s projects. The curriculum is well structured for layering in new technologies, and before you know it you’re familiar with relational databases and doing a deep dive into the inner workings of Rails. Things move at a bewildering pace, and it’s very easy to get caught off guard by this early on if you’re not careful.

The looming thought of getting kicked out over failing two assessments can be extremely unsettling, but this risk/reward setup also puts the entirety of the cohort into a hyper focused mindset. And it creates a unique environment for learning if you can sublimate the anxiety of it. Even through the online setup, it was surprising just how much there was a sense of community. You spend hours every day with your classmates, and even through a computer screen I felt like I got to know a lot of them really well. I don’t know how they’re able to isolate so many brilliant people into these cohorts, but they clearly have very efficient and calculated screening mechanisms in place to ensure they’re taking quality people into the program.

The TA’s are fantastic. The student to teacher ratio is very favorable for student teacher interactions, and they were consistently pivotal in getting me on track with the material on pace to get through the assessments. It’s a lot of information so be 100% prepared to have no life while you’re working through the curriculum. I thought 100 hours a week would be an exaggeration but I was consistently logging 95-100 hours each week studying the material straight through the weekend.

You get to build your own full stack project using the core stack of the curriculum, as well as other projects with additional technologies that you learn past the React portion of the course. They’re in a re-vamping phase with their curriculum with less of a focus on Ruby as far as I understand, so this is something to bear in mind moving forward. I’m confident that however they re-structure the curriculum will be just as effective as the current setup they have in place and I’m sure it’s necessary given the industry’s trending away from Rails, but any large scale overhaul of a curriculum carries with it at least some amount of risk.

I felt like the React portion was great. Past that things were still mostly well structured with minor hiccups. There were portions I felt were too rushed. For example, we had about a weekend to learn the MERN stack before we were working in a team to build an application in it that following week. Pieces of this curriculum might need some revision. Maybe something as simple as having at least one additional project with the MERN stack before having students code in a team environment in it. However I really enjoyed the Docker portion of the curriculum, and it was fun building an additional project with GraphQL / Apollo. I’ve heard this part of the curriculum is at the moment isolated to the online setups. You get to build a project in Vanilla JavaScript at the end of the course as well.

App Academy’s deferred payment plan was a strong draw for me personally. I felt that this established them as an institution willing to take on a lot of risk investing in the people they take into the program, and shows that they’re confident their curriculum will get people placed in well-paying positions upon finishing. I’d honestly like to see more institutions of higher education adopt a similar financing approach. There are pros and cons to deciding on doing the online setup instead of an in-person setup, and I do believe an in-person setup would have been very fulfilling. Some people would say the in person setup is vital to the whole App Academy experience. But I do like that the online setup at least had a longer space of time for absorbing the material. You get a month prior to the official immersive portion of the cohort to get solid with software engineering fundamentals. And the TA’s were always readily available to answer any questions I might have, so at least on the learning side there was nothing lost in translation going this route. An in person bootcamp really wasn’t feasible for me personally, and I would expect it’s not for many others planning on applying.

All things considered the past 24 weeks have been a grueling yet highly rewarding experience. You get out of it what you put into it, and you have to put a lot into it if you want to get through the totality of the curriculum.

• Bryce Morgan  User Photo
    Bryce Morgan • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

App Academy was an amazing experience for me. The main factor that drew me to the program originally was the fact that it had an online option that still included the rigor and attention of a classroom atmosphere. I knew that I wanted to have a structured experience that would push me to continue learning the material at a regular pace. App Academy is definitely a challenging experience. There are a lot of concepts that are covered, but it is all presented in a way that allows you to absorb the material through application. The emphasis on pair-programming reinforces your understanding of the material by both constantly having someone else to bounce ideas off of as well as providing an opportunity to explain your thought process and code to another person. Participating in the program takes your full dedication, but is extremely rewarding in the amount of knowledge gained and the new doors that open up for a career in web development.

• Oliver Almalel  User Photo
    Oliver Almalel • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Aside from having material current to the day (e.g. Apollo), the staff and assistance was the best part.  Our lecturers and assistants were extremely sharp and super patient. They were personable and kind and did whatever they could to help us understand.

If you get in, work hard, harder, your hardest.  Learn to work with others. Learn to have self discipline.  This program will help you to become your best.

The content was practical, guided, and cathartic.  I cannot recommend this program enough. Thank you to Kush and Ned for creating such an awesome program.

• Valery Nguyen  User Photo
    Valery Nguyen • Graduate Verified via GitHub

After working 7 years as a Mechanical Engineer/Controls Engineer, I decided to take 24-weeks to study Web Development at AA. I joined the program last January (2019) and was part of the App Academy's first Online Cohort. We were a group of 8, spread across the US and even had a classmate living abroad, eating and sleeping on US Eastern time.

The program is very intense in terms of time commitment, where I spent every hour of the day and night studying (100hrs+ /week). But the more time I committed to study, the more I understood about each topic and learned. Each hour spent was worth it.

If you really enjoy programming, you will love this program! You will have access to great TA/instructors, well-thought and detailed ressources. And learned all the skills you will need on the job.

Our initial cohort had Live Lectures from our instructor, where I was able to ask tons of questions to really understand very deeply each lecture. A minus point for future Online Cohorts, is that it may no longer be true as more recorded lectures started to get used right after our cohort. Even though, AA breaks it down so you can still ask questions every 45mins or hour. Staying engaged and awake while watching video lectures was never my strongest point.

I have no regret though, the education was fantastic! Please give it a try and see whether it's for you!

• Pretty Good
    - 8/6/2019
    David Suon  User Photo
    David Suon • Graduate Verified via GitHub

App Academy is a 3 months (5 if you're taking the online portion) web development boot camp with a very low acceptance rate.  The program is 8 hours of new materials everyday with 6 assessments  sprinkled in to test you.  The curriculum is pretty good for the most part and the projects you do a good job of testing what you learned for the day's material.  The peers you work with from the Teacher Aids to your peers are all great people to work with.

Some of the curriculum material could use an update/ be fleshed out better.

Be prepare to work your butt offs when you do get in.

• Richard  User Photo
    Richard • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I'd been programming for several years and decided to do App Academy more as a "formalization" of my knowledge than as a way to "learn to code".  After all, I knew how to code.  Well, I was wrong.  I learned so much.   For example, a) The "why" behind many things I already knew how to do, thereby allowing for better decisions.  b) The practical value of data structures and algorithms I had previously written off as "computer science stuff", c) Effective pair programming - started out hating it, grew to love it.  d) A major raising of the bar in terms of what's possible - how about learning a new technology and using it to create something significant in 10 days?  If you have the tenacity to go after what you want, it's for you.  If you give up quickly when things get tough (long hours ahead), stay away!

• Sam Walker  User Photo
    Sam Walker • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Overall, this was definitely one of the most rewarding experiences I have had. I learned an incredible amount of information and feel confident in my skills as a software developer. You can tell that a lot of time and effort is put into the curriculum and that they are always striving to improve upon it. I believe that everyone on the teaching staff really cares about their students' success and are constantly going out of their way to make sure everyone is getting the help they need to succeed. I would recommend this course to anyone who is looking to transition careers into software development.

- 7/31/2019
    Onyi Cho  User Photo
    Onyi Cho • Student Verified via GitHub

I enrolled the last 12 weeks intensive bootcamp program at App Academy. Apparently they are changing the cohort to 16 weeks from now on.

Overall, App Academy is not the place where you just sit there and hoping someone would hold your hand to review through programming related materials. Sure, there is help provided if you request so, but it definitely takes effort and dedication to be successful at App Academy, and more importantly, to be successful at your future job after graduation. Self-motivation is the key to success here.

Even though I came from software developer background, the topics that App Academy taught us are pretty challenging, that I constantly find myself running out of time to study ahead of next day's material. Though, I did feel fulfilled and satisfied by the overwhelming topics that we have to read and understand because it is also probably one of the few way we could improve ourselves rapidly.

My only suggestion to future students are: do not slack off during the weekend. I learned that the hard way...`

• Michael Du  User Photo
    Michael Du • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

Overall, I had a great time during the 12-week in-person curriculum. While I did come in with an undergraduate CS degree, I feel that the material supplemented what I learned in college quite well (although a bit slow the first few weeks). But given my background, I did not find the pacing of the course to be all that intensive until the projects hit. There is definitely plenty to learn. They go in-depth enough on topics necessary to be considered a web developer but there are a lot of topics only briefly touched on to explore further on your own.

Pros:
     - TAs are extremely friendly and willing to help
     - Plenty of interesting projects to work on throughout the course
     - Pretty much everybody was fun and easy to work with

Cons:
     - Trying to get help during projects can lead to a lot of waiting for TAs
     - Homework could be more meaningful rather than a bunch of small segmented assignments
     - Be prepared to keep working hard over the weekends, especially for the full-scale projects toward the end of the course

• Jimmy Nguyen  User Photo
    Jimmy Nguyen • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

aA is great. You get what you put in. Anyone can achieve it, you just need to manage your time correctly. Would recommend 10/10

• Vu Tran  User Photo
    Vu Tran • Software engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I'm not gonna sugar coated this. People get kicked out for failing 2 assessments. This was the single most difficult, stressful, mentally taxing, emotionally challenging, and wonderful experiences in my life. This is the best decision I've ever made. Expect the workloads of 100 hours a week, especially if you want to get good. I came in with a lof of imposter-syndrome, and at the end of it, I can build full-stack applications from scratch. I've become a lot more confident in my skills and how I communicate to potential employers, as I type this I have a few on sites scheduled next week.

• Omar Abbasi  User Photo
    Omar Abbasi • Software Developer • Student Verified via GitHub

I'd say overall App Academy is one of the best decisions I've ever made and one of the hardest things I've ever done. A few things that have been mentioned to me that ring true:

"Its kinda like having a firehose of information pointed at you, and you just do your best to drink up as much as you can"

There's also feeling that it really is a bootcamp of sorts. If you think about the traditional military bootcamps, there's a sense of discipline instilled in you in the process, and you walk out with friendships and bonds built from going through a difficult experience together. You can't get through this program alone. You'll need the support of the people around you and your classmates to really succeed, and as a result you'll end up with a strong network of very capable developers along with the skills you actually pick up here.

You get as much out of this as you put in. Don't come in expecting to have your hand held. Don't come in expecting everyone you're learning from to be perfect and know everything. Learning on your own and via collaboration is part of the skillset you build here.