app-academy-logo

App Academy

Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (879) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (24) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

Start Date August 31, 2020
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    August 31, 2020 - New York City
    October 26, 2020 - New York City
    December 21, 2020 - New York City
    September 21, 2020 - San Francisco
    November 16, 2020 - San Francisco
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Start Date September 7, 2020
    Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    September 7, 2020 - Online
    October 5, 2020 - Online
    November 2, 2020 - Online
    November 30, 2020 - Online

I am a student 9 weeks into the full-stack curriculum at the New York location.  If I remember, I will go back and edit this after going through the job search.  I have greatly enjoyed my time at App Academy so far.  Looking back, it is astounding how much ground we have covered in that time.  Myself and all my classmates have just finished our full stack web applications—and it amazes me how far we were able to take them.  I remember sitting in the classroom on the first day, apprehensive and excited to start learning… since then it has been a whirlwind of learning and doing.  You will look back and marvel at how far you have come in so little time.

That being said, this program is hard work.  You will need to steel yourself for long nights and stressful exams and projects.  Some, of course, will have an easier time than others depending on your background and how well you’ve prepared for the bootcamp.   But at one point or another, everyone who gets through puts in a lot of time and effort to do so.

I have often been running on 5-7 hours of sleep—less on particularly intensive nights.  I estimate I’ve put in roughly 80-90 working hours a week (more if you include my commute each day).   If you want to keep up and get all the readings/activities done, expect to be spending many hours learning and coding.  Fortunately, if you’re anything like me and most of my cohort-mates, then you’ll enjoy learning software development.

By this point you’ve probably read a lot of reviews telling you App Academy is hard for many people.  This is true.  Some do not make it to the end.  About 15 people from our class failed two assessments and a retake and were asked to leave as a result.

However, I am a firm believer that if you’ve gotten through the applications process at App Academy, you have what it takes to make it to the end.  If you end up going to App Academy, please believe in yourself, and work your ass off.  A good number of my classmates failed the first assessment (by far the easiest one), bunkered down, and killed the rest.  Do not be discouraged if you stumble.

I’d like to close my review with some advice for prospective students.  I have done fairly well with the program thus far and think it is prudent of my to share some of my preparation and study strategies that got me to where I am.

1. If you’re looking for introductory materials, I definitely recommend the MIT eDX course, ‘Introduction to Programming in Python’
    2. Do as much preparation as possible.  Of particular help to me was training fundamentals in Ruby on codewars.  Aside from that, do what interests you from the options below:
      1. Learn HTML5 and CSS3 at least to a basic level.  In particular, learn the basic input types for html and how to use flex in CSS (look up flexbox froggy).  If you can, try and recreate static versions of popular webpages from pure html and css.
      2. Learn SQL.  We did this is about half a week, but it was pretty rough for some.  If you’re dedicated, you can do the same and not have to stress about it during the course.
      3. Learn about the Model, View, Controller design pattern and its advantages/tradeoffs.  Research ruby/rails or some other framework and see if you can learn the basics of app development.  I would not recommend doing this before having a solid grounding in all the fundamentals though.
      4. For the mathematically inclined with time before the course begins, go follow along with an algorithms course online.  Learn big-O notation and algorithmic analysis.  I personally followed along with the free MIT OCW lectures and assignments for 6.042J with Tom Leighton and 6.006 with Srini Devadas.  If you already feel comfortable with basic programming and want to be ahead of the game for the job search, this is a good option for you.
      5. If you really want to go the extra mile like me, go ahead and read a design patterns book (I used Head First Design Patterns, but Gang of Four is the canonical work to reference)
    3. During the course, hit the ground running and do all the readings you can.  Definitely drop all other responsibilities (or as many as possible).  You don’t want to be dealing with anything else while tackling the curriculum.  If you have a decent commute, it will be fairly impossible to do anything else.  Speaking of the commute, preload the readings and download the videos they give you so you can watch them offline on your way there/back.  If you can, study in the office around others where you can ask your classmates questions.  If the homework is taking you too long, just send it up and put it away—you will be going over the material in greater detail tomorrow.
    4. Lastly, and most importantly:  Make friends!  You have the opportunity to study alongside many with similar motivations and career goals.  Your classmates will be among your greatest resources during the course and moving forward.  The people who are thriving in my cohort are largely those who made an effort to be social work with their classmates.  Coming in to week 9, I can count a number of my them as good friends who I can expect to keep in contact with for years to come.  For that reason alone, it was worth it to me to attend App Academy, and they’ve made my time here feel so nice.

Good luck to all applicants and soon-to-be students!

• Brad Simpson  User Photo
    Brad Simpson • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I started in February 2020 and just graduated the Online Full Stack Software Engineer course. I am currently in the very start of my job hunt and was completely prepared to do outstanding by the course. The material is great and the instructors are super knowledgable and just all around awesome. I have made lifelong friends with several of my classmates as well. If you want to change your life and become a software engineer, App Academy is the only choice in my book
  • Geoffrey  User Photo
    Geoffrey • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    App Academy was an intense bootcamp. I thought I was prepared for what was to come but I was not. The fast pace and back to back projects will definitely wear you out, however, all bootcamps do that. The instructors we're amazing! Honestly if it was not for them I would not have graduated. I went from knowing little to nothing about code to being able to replicate sites like netflix by myself within a week. You learn a lot and you learn fast. I would say the best thing about the school is that they teach you how to learn code vs how to simply code. In the work field you might be asked to code in a language that you havent done so before and if you dont know how to adapt quickly you will have a hard time. Thanks to App Academy I do not have that fear.
  • Online Full Stack
    - 7/29/2020
    Jesse   User Photo
    Jesse • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I came into the curriculum with a basic foundation of coding, however I had no experience in software development and in
    a mere 6 months I can say that I am much more confident in my ability to produce an application. App Academy not only teaches
    you relevant curriculum but (and this is the most important aspect to me) they set you up with the ability to continue self-learning after graduation

Pros
    - The support from the TA's and Instructors are nice to have, especially when you aren't grasping a concept.
    - 4 projects, consisting of 2 group project and 2 solo projects gives you a lot of experience working with different ideas, people, and technologies.
    - Presence of a career coach makes the job search process feel much more structured.
    - The focus on mini-projects while your learning really re-enforces the concepts learned for the day
    - Learn Python for the online full-stack cohorts instead of Ruby
    Cons
    - Since I was in a Cohort with a new curriculum some of the material seemed like it was rushed or just not presented in a clear and concise way.
  • Monia Techini  User Photo
    Monia Techini • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    It was a great experience with app Academy. Everybody is so helpful and friendly. I enjoyed everyday with a/a, and I learned many things from everybody, it was an amazing experience and I m so proud to be part of it.
    I really appreciate that they offer support for the job search as well.
  • Daniel Chau  User Photo
    Daniel Chau • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    A very challenging programming course, but very informative and worth it! It will be overwhelming and demoralizing at points, however stay strong and be communicative and it is manageable. My biggest tip to help you get through and not feel to drowned in work is to be pro-active and let your teammates and TAs know what is going on with you personally and academically.
  • Work is important
    - 7/24/2020
    Gilbert Bui  User Photo
    Gilbert Bui • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    App academy can be time consuming and a lot of work but the end result will provide you the skills you need to find a job in the software development field.
  • Sheava Danesh  User Photo
    Sheava Danesh • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I'm switching over careers from a completely non-technical field to software development, and I couldn't have picked a better bootcamp to help me through this transition. Although I just graduated, I can say that in just the past 4 months I have learned a myriad of languages, technologies, and frameworks that I never would've imagined I could. App Academy's curriculum is prepared in a way that regardless of your technical background, you learn so so much in such little time and learn enough to compete with other aspiring software developers with university degrees in computer science. The only thing I wish App Academy did differently is to advertise themselves clearly as web development since thats basically what the curriculum is centered around. I can make a full-stack web application now, but not much more than that. Either way, I am super grateful to be able to have attended App Academy and would highly recommend this bootcamp over others to anyone who asks!
  • Matthew  User Photo
    Matthew • Tolentin • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Yes, there are articles coming up all the time criticizing App Academy's pricing plans and now freely available curriculum, but you will not find another group of dedicated instructors when you choose to take the plunge. They also help you all the way with admission advisors the very same day you submit the first admission form.

Yes, a lot of the concepts can be learned by yourself with hours pouring over Wikipedia, Stack Overflow, and elsewhere, but the greatest value to the intensive and immersive 16-week journey is not only the opportunity to have a glance at tech industry culture through the curriculum path and curated lectures, but the challenge at your fingertips everyday in pairing with another cohort mate to solve nontrivial projects and problem sets to actively mold into and further change the culture yourself.

App Academy is truly the one-stop-shop from beginning Ruby lessons to the job coaching that guides you the whole way after the 16-week course until you get your offer letters. Yes, you very well could go the route of learning JavaScript by yourself or maybe C by yourself, but everyone in App Academy upholds their standard everyday and provide living breathing proof that their techniques work, through their connections with tech companies all across the country and the regular alumni panels that return to talk to share their success with current students and encourage them on their way.

If you've stuck with me and read this far, start the application process and have a go at the webcam coding challenge. If you blow them away with no raise in heart rate then yes maybe this bootcamp is not for you. However, if you fall in love with Alvin's lessons and through intense study and dedication pass this first hurdle (an accomplishment you are reminded of even up to the final week of class), you will not be disappointed with the adventure set before you.

Thank you again to every single instructor and coach that guided my cohort and never quit on any one of us.
  • Christopher Oney  User Photo
    Christopher Oney • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I cannot express enough how much I enjoyed this program. The instructors and staff are all supportive, intelligent people that are able to cram a large amount of information into a relatively small amount of time while still making the lessons enjoyable and understandable. Unfortunately due to the Covid-19 outbreak, my cohort was forced to take the classes online, but even this wasn't unmanageable thanks to the efforts of App Academy. One thing to mention is that if the job fairs App Academy normally works with are extremely important to you, I would wait until quarantine measures are no longer in place.
    That being said, the teachers and staff can only do so much. If you intend to apply to App Academy, be prepared to put your life on hold for several months. The coursework is rigorous and often overwhelming. If you fall behind too much you may not have the time to catch up with everyone else again, even with the help and resources provided. Do not ever grow complacent about the work. Overall if you think you can handle the bootcamp experience and are passionate about learning, I highly recommend App Academy.
  • For the hoodie
    - 7/24/2020
    Andrew  User Photo
    Andrew • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    App Academy's curriculum is well designed and really reinforces fundamentals so every new lesson is built on what you have learned. By no means is it easy and you will definitely have to put in the work, but you are offered lots of help and resources from the TA's, fellow cohort-mates, and through additional readings. A majority of most days is filled with pair programming, which I really came to enjoy and realize its usefulness. However, there are only a handful of days where you get to tackle projects on your own, which I did not like, but that is merely my preference. After the curriculum, I feel that App Academy provided me the tools and fundamentals needed to further my programming skills and create full-stack web applications. Being a bootcamp that is only a few months long, I feel they do a great job in transitioning anyone, who is willing to put in the work, into a software engineer.

• Julie  User Photo
    Julie • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Overall this program is it rigorous and does teaches you to code. If that is your goal and you have a solid internal support network, I'd recommend. The program lacks representation of womxn, POC, and other minority groups. Also in my cohort, these marginalized groups left the program at a higher rate. Please note - this does wear on your mental health as it is a very high pressure environment. There are 6 assessments, failing 2 will get you kicked out. There is a strike system for attendance and daily reports. Too many strikes and you're kicked out. Day to day you'll mostly be pair programming and working on projects with a partner. There is homework every night which can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 4-5 hours. After a long day of work, you have more work.

You can pay all tuition upfront, all when you have a job, or a split. If you do not pay all upfront (most people do not) there is another strike system to prove you're looking for jobs appropriately. Similar to above, too many strikes and you'll owe them the unpaid amount. Honestly, this is good. It aligns incentives, holds you accountable, and gives you support.
  • Ryan  User Photo
    Ryan • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    App Academy is going to be tough, as it is a very fast paced full time program. On top of the fast pace, there will be about 6 assessments spread out during the first 12 weeks of the program. Failing two will get you kicked out. If you're worried by any of these things, don't be. Despite the pacing of the curriculum, and the graded assessments, App Academy and their instructors make sure to teach you everything you need to ensure your success. I would highly recommend App Academy to anyone who is dedicated to the grind.