app-academy-logo

App Academy

New York City, Online, San Francisco

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (908) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (24) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

Start Date December 21, 2020
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    December 21, 2020 - New York City
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

App Academy was my first choice,  because:
    — it's tuition model
    — great reviews and overall rating
    — greatest TA's
    — it's curriculum
    — supportive classmates
    Although it's pretty hard to keep the pace for the whole course, it pays back, once you start working on your final project, you'll realize that you know a lot, even if you thought you don't.
    Greatest experience.

Here's an interview with the founder of App Academy - Kush Patel

• Ajay Rajamani  User Photo
    Ajay Rajamani • Software Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended App Academy after graduating college with a degree in Ecology and working in the US Forest Service for three years. Basically, I had no technical experience whatsoever outside of playing video games and experimenting with basic coding in the language BASIC when I was a kid. After about 7 months total of coursework and the job search, I landed a job as a software engineer at a series C startup and I feel wholly prepared to assume my new role.

App Academy has a pretty solid curriculum, and while you could conceivably learn it all on your own it's much more efficient to do it through them. While most of the TA's are recent A/a grads, the cohort leads are usually experienced engineers and can answer your in-depth technical questions. I'm pleased to say there is a decent focus on true CS concepts rather than just how to use the trending tools of the industry, which is really what counts in the job search. Specific languages and tools go out of style rapidly, but if you can internalize the core concepts of CS and learn how to pick up new things on the fly, you will be able to apply to a wide range of jobs and have a chance of passing the interviews.

Pair programming is one of the most infuriating experiences imaginable, but I will say that it is the secret sauce that makes this bootcamp work. Left to you own devices you will likely not be motivated or focused enough to work through the whole curriculum on your own, but when paired with another person all day it makes sure that both partners are on task and making good progress. I will say I love pair programming when two people can just freeform work on the project together and throw out the driver/navigator roles, and I encourage you to suggest this to your partners if both of you are on board.

I would also say that while the A/a model works really well right now, it is definitely a crapshoot whether or not it will work for you or in the future. Right now tech is a bloated whale of high paying coding jobs that could be conceivably had with just 4-6 months of rigorous training, but I suspect that like the gold rush this will come to an end. Most of these jobs are for startups which are not profitable and are funded by VC cash. While I'm not an economist, I have heard from people who are that the tech industry is likely overvalued and may crash in the same way that finance did in 2008. Just be wary, and have realistic expectations. At the time of this review I would 100% recommend App Academy as a viable option to a tech career, but if you are reading this a year or later down the line I would do my research into the state of the industry and bootcamp placements before registering. If you are older (say, 35+) or lack a degree you may also struggle to find a job as many companies will automatically weed you out for not having a degree or discriminate against you for being an older candidate. Ditto if you are not a citizen or green card holder. While I and many of my friends found jobs within 3-6 months of finishing the program (some even sooner), I also met many people who fit into the above categories who ended up searching for upwards of a year.

The one place where App Academy really shines is the job search. This to me is where 90% of the value comes from. Anyone can learn how to code on their own, but I can honestly say without my dedicated and talented coaches I would have been dead in the water. They teach you things that you can't easily learn off the internet, things you wouldn't even think to google, and the job search formula works, at least in this current economy. Indeed, I did App Academy because I didn't think I could find a job in my old field (ecology), but after going through the job search curriculum I realize I total could have if I knew what I know now about job searching. Lastly, I'd like to mention that my first coach was a dud and pretty useless, but after he "left" App Academy I was assigned to two new coaches who were total rockstars. My point is your milage may vary, but for the most part I would say the coaching staff is solid.

Finally, read the fine print. The ISA money-back guarentee only applies if you finish the program and don't find a job after a year, and even then you will more than likely have to sign a job search extension adding extra months before you are eligible to get your money back. This is due to the fact that your projects and job search materials will likely not be done by the time you graduate and you will need to spend additional time working on these, during which time you are not technically job searching. Make sure that you are able to support yourself being fully unemployed for a period of 17ish months (4 months curriculum + 13 months for the search) before you start the program if you want to be safe. Of course you could just send it anyway, but you are running a risk as if you run out of money and have to go back to work you will still owe A/a $28K. Also, plan on moving to a tech hub city (most likely SF or NY) if you do not already live in one, these are the places where companies will hire bootcampers. I was lucky enough to score a remote job, but that is also mostly due to COVID. You may also be able to do so but again it is a crapshoot.

Overall, I would recommend App Academy but only in an artifically inflated and booming tech economy.
  • Greg  User Photo
    Greg • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Pros:
    - Good class structure and accountability to help keep students on track.
    - Great teachers, feeling of community with other students, even though everything is online remote.
    - Good breadth of material, focused on what companies are currently looking for in an applicant.
    - Good pacing and balance between learning material and practical project work.

Cons:
    - Certain subjects are still a little rough around the edges and need to be refined. Specifically, how we were taught react during my cohort was rough and kind of backwards, spent a lot of time on old ways of implementing react and very little time on the new (hooks) way. However, they are actively rewriting the whole react curriculum, so should be fixed for new students.
  • Andre Souza  User Photo
    Andre Souza • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had a great time at App Academy. For me the con is also a pro, when you first sign up they tell you that it is a very rigorous and demanding program but I didn't take too seriously. Just a few weeks later I was putting in anywhere from 80 to 100 hours of work into completing the course work. Which is necessary due to the amount of material that we learn in just a few weeks.
    I feel that the boot camp made me a better developer and that I was given all that I signed up for and more.
    Thank you so much for changing my career path.
  • Nahid Siddiqui  User Photo
    Nahid Siddiqui • Student Verified via GitHub
    App Academy is designed to push you to your limit and has you riding the line of being overwhelmed and advanced fast-paced learning. I really enjoyed my time with the TA's and my classmates. The TA's are very competent and helpful. If you're self-motivated and have a focused and directed mindset to become a software engineer/developer, I highly recommend App Academy.
  • Dennis Lum  User Photo
    Dennis Lum • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I feel like saying that I enjoyed my time here would label me as a masochist, but yes.. I did enjoy my time here.  I was looking into getting into coding, but didn't know where to start and what stacks to learn, so I decided to give App Academy's 16 week Full-Stack web development course a shot since I've heard of all these good reviews, and so far, I'm not disappointed.   To get in, first you have to pass their interviews.  After you get in, things start a little slow, for the first week, but then speeds up really fast.  Especially after the first two weeks, which is the foundations part of the curriculum, after which, the real meat of the course starts to show and the pace picks up even more.  It's extremely vigorous, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  If you manage to pass all their assessments you'll be rewarded with newfound knowledge in programming and the ability to build cool apps.  After completing the course you enter your Career quest, in which you will be provided a Career Coach  who will coach you on applying for jobs and interviewing.  All in all it's been a great experience that leaves you feeling fulfilled, and I'm also impressed and how they turned this in-person course to an online one.
  • Kevin Yieh  User Photo
    Kevin Yieh • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Pros: Teaches you all the things you really need to know. Teacher assistants are really useful and the projects they provide for you to do are helpful. The teaching strategy is to repeat concepts until it's cemented in your memory, which I believe is rather effective.
    Cons: They stop giving you meaningful assistance when it comes to your personal projects at the end of the bootcamp. You're pretty much on your own, but of course you have your fellow students as resources but they're also trying to complete their own projects. They claim that the independence on the projects is to emulate your experience outside the bootcamp (without Teacher Assistants).
  • Winfred Huang  User Photo
    Winfred Huang • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    In 16 weeks at App Academy, you will be thrown in lots of Computer Science concepts over various programming languages, given job searching prep work, and projects to demonstrate your programming knowledge. From my experience, those projects were fun and the knowledge gained has helped me to figure out additional technologies to incorporate into my projects! Even though this journey through this bootcamp has been challenging, it is worth it in the end. Aside from the amazing material you get, you also will get to meet amazing cohort-mates from various backgrounds. Overall be prepared and be serious, which I can't emphasize enough, to put in lots of work to understanding and practicing those computer science concepts.

Pros:
    - The instructional material were up-to-date, fun, and challenging.
    - Really helpful instructors to help you understand Computer Science concepts.
    - Plentiful of help for your job search

Cons:
    - Some Computer Science concepts taught (either in lecture or in instructional material) are hard to understand or not self-explanatory.
    - The transition from programming projects to job searching was awkward. I can say the same when switching between programming languages too.

Tips I could give:
    - Try to learn some new programming languages/concepts ahead of time (even better if before the bootcamp). I highly suggest learning Python.
    - Have a set schedule as you do not want to overwork yourself, especially when you're going to be studying new concepts daily.
    - Be prepared to be expected to learn new concepts instantly.
  • Daniel Creppel  User Photo
    Daniel Creppel • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
     pros:
    - Great structured material
    - Engaging learning experience
    - Tests are easy
    - App Academy is really invested in you to succeed
    cons:
    - Requires 70+ hour weeks
    - Tests are tedious and do not reflect well on you understanding of the material
    - Very little focus on Data Structures and Algorithms
    - JavaScript portion of the curriculum is virtually nonexistent
    - Understaffed
  • Dong Hyuk Kim  User Photo
    Dong Hyuk Kim • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    As a student, I felt that I only scratched the surface of each topic, then did my best (with my pair-programming partner) to apply the knowledge on daily projects. During the initial week-long full stack projects, I didn't have a clear idea on how to start. However, my Principle Instructor (Ian) and the TA's (Javier, Dean) were always there and extremely helpful in guiding me in the right direction and helping to debug. By the time the capstone project came around, I felt equipped to develop a full stack project -- to the extent that I taught myself a whole new framework in just a few days to use in my project.
    a/A simplifies complex topics across the full stack into simple, but not always digestible pieces. You will spend only a few days on topics that are taught over a semester in college. At times, you are likely to be overwhelmed by the pace. On the flip-side, you are also likely to be too immersed to even think about it. It may feel like you are being rushed to cram new material each day, but you would be surprised to realize how much you are actually learning under the hood. In addition to the basic knowledge, you are learning how to learn new technologies quickly and effectively. This resourcefulness is probably the most valuable return on your investment of time, money and effort.
    My thoughts upon completion of the program: I thought I was running a marathon, but it turns out I was being taught how to tie my shoes really well for five months. The marathon has only just started.
  • Recent Grad
    - 9/21/2020
    deepak  User Photo
    deepak • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    pros:
    they bet on you with income sharing
    there are instructors to help (within reason)
    good breath of material
    career support
    they force you to learn
    great for people who want to learn and feel confident they can do it

cons:
    It might feel expensive after you finish
    at times you might feel overwhelmed if you don't have any tech background. but still doable. be ready to sacrifice something.
    sometimes the curriculum feels rushed or disjointed

• Software Engineer
    - 9/19/2020
    Ayce   User Photo
    Ayce • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    App Academy was an over great experience for me. I enjoyed the curriculum and met amazing people in the process. Due to the pandemic, the in-person program became online. It's a serious program that requires focus and dedication. I've had classmates with no background in coding like myself as well as those who have engineering degrees from top schools across the nation. I self-studied for 6 months prior to starting the program. If you have little to no background in coding,  this would be extremely helpful. They also have a pair programming rhetoric. I paired with someone nearly everyday for projects.

PROS - you can learn so much within 16 weeks with effort and dedication
    CONS - Some curriculum is outdated. They are working on updating that material.

If you plan to join a/A, say goodbye to evenings and weekends. It is a lot of work but it's all worth it!
  • Ahmed El Mahallawy  User Photo
    Ahmed El Mahallawy • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    Overall I really enjoyed my experience at appAcademy. Albeit this is a review for the In-Person track, my cohort was done completely online due to COVID, which I believe provided a multitude of pros and cons. The curriculum was great and it is exactly what you expect: it is 100% a full-time commitment ranging between 9-11 hours a day roughly (prior to your projects; you'll put in even MORE time). The learning curve and experience was absolutely enjoyable for me; I loved going from a introductory level of knowledge in the technology taught to a proficient developer with 3 projects under my belt that I'm proud of.

Pros:
    • Online helped give flexibility to one's time (we had someone with an 11 hour difference in our cohort); yes it is tedious to have a time difference but you can 100% make it work. I did (I was 3 hours ahead).
    • Teach you the basics and work their way through technology FUNDAMENTALLY. An example of this occurred in the React section of the curriculum; we didn't learn best-industry practice using hooks but rather containers. This made my understanding of containers/hooks significantly better. Learn to walk before you run.
    • Instructors are well-versed in what you're learning. They are grads of the bootcamp themselves. They know what you go through, and understand the struggle with what they teach you. Use them, they're great.
    • Project time was by far the most fun I had during the bootcamp, yet also the most stressful; you can use the tech you learnt over the weeks to build a brand new application from a blinking terminal. Having that a mandatory section of the bootcamp made me really experience my own learning which I feel grounded my foundational understanding of those topics.

Cons:
    • Like I mentioned earlier, it is 100% what you expect: a full-time immersive commitment to learning and breathing code. You don't have much time for anything else, especially during the project time. You get what you put in.
    • We were always told that the bootcamp is "not a race" but rather a "marathon". I will tell you that is not accurate. It is a very fast paced marathon. You put in long hours and need to be committed to learn the material efficiently and quickly. If you don't put in the effort, you will not succeed.
    • During project time, instructors were VERY "hands-off"; I felt like my group and I should've been able to find guidance after reaching a roadblock but we were turned towards crowdsourcing instead. Yes, asking peers is very valuable but when every minute counts during crunchtime, a simple 2 minute solution from an instructor is better than 3 hours of researching a work-around that could need to be changed down the road.

I hope this review gives you good insight into what you're getting yourself into. If ever you'd love to hear about more of my experience, I'd be more than happy to tell you about my experience. Good luck on your coding journey, you'll enjoy it at appAcademy!