app-academy-logo

App Academy

Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (802) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (24) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

Start Date May 11, 2020
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    May 11, 2020 - New York City
    September 21, 2020 - San Francisco
    November 16, 2020 - San Francisco
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Start Date April 20, 2020
    Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    April 20, 2020 - Online
    November 2, 2020 - Online
    November 30, 2020 - Online

• Sean  User Photo
    Sean • Student Verified via GitHub

App Academy is difficult. Extremely difficult. You will be challenged quite possibly more than you ever have been before. You will fail, often. All of that being said, it is one of the best educations in the field given the timeframe you go through it and if you have the discipline and gumption to see it through. I went from someone with no prior coding experience to one of the top students in my class, able to make a fully functional (and if I say so myself, pretty damn cool) web app in the span of two weeks: from initial conceptualization to adding in final easter eggs. App Academy gave me the tools to accomplish this through both it's curriculum and it's great support network of both instructors and fellow students. We're all in the same boat and eager to help each other out where we can. If you can put three months of your life aside for App Academy, and only App Academy, you will succeed.

• A great 'program'
    - 1/14/2017
    Lucas Chin  User Photo
    Lucas Chin • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I thought that program was great overall. It provides directed learning, and many examples to draw from for understanding and study purposes. Much of the learning is done during paired programming and on your own in homework or your own projects. Be prepared to study a lot and focus intensely. I would have liked to have seen more use of popular libraries into the curriculum, but I suppose it makes sense to cover the fundamentals that would prepare one to learn any libraries on the job. I would highly recommend the program; it more than satisfactorily gives you the skills you need to get a job.

• a/A full stack
    - 1/12/2017
    Chloe I  User Photo
    Chloe I • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I enjoyed my time at App Academy and would recommend it to anyone considering a career in software development. As long as you are willing to put in the hours & effort, the outcome will be worth the stress. It sets you up with the skills to get a job as a developer, and since you don't pay until you're employed, the job assistance they offer at the end of the program is pretty good. I finished the course in the fall of 2015 and got a job within a few weeks, so it definitely works!

• It works
    - 1/12/2017
    Justin  User Photo
    Justin • Softward Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

My cohort finished about a year ago, and everyone I've spoken with is super happy with the jobs they got afterward. I would recommend this bootcamp to anyone who is a self-starter. I was self-taught for over a year before the course started and that helped me out a lot. Even though we covered nearly everything I'd taught myself in the first 3 weeks, I came in with the confidence that this was something I would want to do as a career. At a/A there are no grades, nobody holding your hand or giving you constant praise. The staff is supportive of course, but they are there to teach you the skills and traits to become great at this trade, and that includes self-sufficiency.

• Changed my life
    - 1/11/2017
    Scott Dikowitz  User Photo
    Scott Dikowitz Verified via GitHub

I was planning to go to grad school for comp sci before my friend introduced me to App Academy. I was skeptical at first of programming bootcamps, but App Academy seemed really legit so I gave it a shot. Coming from a programming background, I was surprised by how challenging and how much I learned in just the first week. The curriculum is very challenging and keeps you on your toes the whole way through. By pairing with a new student every day, you tend to pick up in each other's good programming practices. At the end of the program you know how to create a website from the ground up and build it well. The curriculum is constantly evolving as new web frameworks and best practices emerge, and as an alumni I still have access to all the materials. App Academy turbo charged my career in the best and most competitive city in the world. App Academy was the best decision of my life.

• Nicole  User Photo
    Nicole • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

App Academy is definitely not for the faint of heart- from the application process, to the prep work, to the course itself and ultimately the job search, you will be challenged and pushed to your limit. That being said, I met some of the most intelligent people I've ever known here (my classmates) who were supportive and helpful, and the curriculum is top-notch. In the end, it took me exactly one month after graduation to find a job, and I am loving my new career. If you want to make a change, a/A is the place to do it.

• Daniel Suh  User Photo
    Daniel Suh • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

This program will become your life for 3 months. It's really immersive. But it does it right. The instructors are enthusiastic and intelligent, the curriculum is amazing, and the community is an ideal catalyst. You not only learn today's top tech, but you learn how to keep up with the times so that you can learn tomorrow's tech. Everyone looks back and is in awe of how much he/she has learned in just one season.

• Julia  User Photo
    Julia • Interactive Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

App Academy is super tough -- but also super effective. I graduated in April 2016 and landed my first dev job in under a month.

The pros: This course really goes in-depth. I had taken a lot of classes before (introductory classes to one language or another, some online tutorials to front-end, etc) but anything that dove into the real nuts and bolts of how websites and apps go together left me with more questions than answers. App Academy forces you to dig into the subject matter and come out with the tools to move forward. You'll be surrounded by people as passionate about learning as you are, and the TAs are always on-hand to get you past whatever is blocking your understanding. If you can graduate from a/A, you can get a job in development (and succeed in it!)

The cons:  This course is not a fun time. App Academy is grueling and, frankly, pretty miserable most of the time. If doing all code every day sounds like a negative, this might not be the course for you. If you aren't excited enough about code to put your life on hold for 12 weeks, you should probably look for a different bootcamp. Most people have to put in a lot of hours to keep up with the curriculum, and if you fall behind -- you're out.

That being said: if you aren't discouraged by the workload -- go for it. The curriculum is rock-solid, the instructors are committed to helping you succeed, and the statistics are there to prove it. The fact that I only had to pay after getting hired made this bootcamp affordable for me when others weren't, and the job-hunting portion of the curriculum is thorough and effective. If you're looking to change your career path and can take 12 weeks to do nothing but write code (and I do mean nothing), this is a sure bet.

• Zhuoli  User Photo
    Zhuoli • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I immigrated from China to US recently and I was thinking make a choice between a regular CS degree and App academy from one of my friends' suggestion. App academy gives me an opportunity that I never could have in China to pursue my passion in programming and now I am working in the field I love.
    It is best learning experience I have ever had. The TAs are very helpful and knowledgable and the students are very smart that I learned a lot from the people I worked with.

• David Odio • Student
    I just finished an online boot camp at AppAcademy and got awesome results too. It didn't just teach me the skills I now have but it also showed me the discipline needed to learn more on my own. Great place to be, and a great supportive community.
  • Yenisbel Valle • Graduate
    Thi is a 12-week bootcamp that teach everything from JavaScript to Ruby on Rails. With great TAs that support your journey and empower the path in Tech. The of App Academy graduates find jobs as software developers, and during this last step there is also support from a career coach!!
  • Tom B. • Graduate
    Just graduated today after 1000+ hours and so relieved to have made it through! It's easily the hardest thing I (and everyone else in my cohort) have ever done. More prepared to build real applications, code and answer higher level data structures / algorithm questions than my friends with CS degrees said they were when they started job searching. In fact a bunch of people in my cohort already had legit CS degrees. Only side-note is that I noticed a BIG difference in the general vibe of the program based on what instructors you get to work with. I switched from the SF cohort to Online when I found out I was having a baby (which they were very supportive of) and it was like a completely different bootcamp just because I got some over-the-top friendly instructors. Not a serious issue though because a/A's written and video resources are fantastic, and all the instructors are super capable engineers that can help you track down and conceptually understand any bug you hit in your code. Other side note, I strongly recommend dabbling through one or two Udemy courses before starting a/A though if you literally have no coding experience (I did the first half of Colt Steele's Web Dev Bootcamp, loved it). Not because you necessarily have to, but it'll make a/A more fun and less stressful. That said, my BFF from the program had zero coding experience and was working at Home Depot before doing a/A. He breezed through so yeah, no previous coding experience necessary is not a lie. And I absolutely love my career coach so far, honestly the job search curriculum and post-graduation support alone would make the financial commitment worth it in my opinion.

TLDR – After watching me go through app academy my wife wants to try to get in to the program to facilitate her own career switch (for whatever that's worth). I was an art teacher 6 months ago, if I can do this anyone can! But I never would have learned this much this fast without a/A.
  • Cindy K
    This program was intense and was extremely difficult for me in the beginning. However, it is such a rewarding experience and I am glad I decided to push through and I'm proud of my projects. The instructors were great and helpful, and they teach you a lot of useful tips.
  • app academy
    - 4/2/2020
    Ryan Leung
    This bootcamp teaches you a lot of the things you need to become a software developer. If you have the will power to study and work hard everyday including weekends, this is a good place to start.
  • Fei Yang • Graduate

I really value the experience I got out of App Academy; it is indeed rigorous and intensive and it goes very fast. That being said, you don't as much time to dig into certain subjects as much as you want to but you come out learning very very much (of course you have to study). Also, I really valued the fullstack projects I got to create/help create at App Academy. I've taken some previous programming courses at college, which I really appreciated and some were super great. However, I never created a full stack project, like cloning a website, writing all the backend and frontend; even though I am still finishing the fullstack, this was one of the most awesome experiences. You spend a lot of time pair programming.

Tips: You don't have to come in knowing anything; I had taken some programming classes before and I'm glad I did. There are students at many different levels starting. A couple of CS majors in my class and for them, they got through the material easier/got through more of the projects.

I really appreciate the environment to help each other and support each other, noncompetitive. I think the TAs are friendly, encouraging and really care and want the best for you. They are GREAT (at least in my experience)

They put you in a circle, which is a smaller group of people that meet half hour daily. Shout out to ALISSA, my circle leader, who really believed in me, was super positive, always encouraging, and really cared, checked in to see if I wanted to review anything. I'm super thankful for her belief and faith in me, oh man, I definitely needed it! Thank you Alissa!!! =D

The assessments, do what the TAs say and make sure you do the practice ones over and over again. At App Academy, you allowed one free fail and then after, if you fail again, you are allowed one retake and if you don't pass the retake, you are kicked out. But if you reallly do the practice tests over and over, like they ask you to, you'll be fine. The assessments were really stressful at times, really stressful

I met a LOT of really awesome people! =D Be prepared to work hard, really really hard, it is super busy all the time and super stressful at times. I like having structure; that helps me. And App Academy really helps you in the job search process....partially because you HAVE to apply to a certain amount of jobs per week
  • Would recommend!
    - 4/2/2020
    Wilson • Student
    I really enjoyed my time here! I came to App Academy with a background in biology and knew nothing about coding. I've come a long way these past few months and I think that App Academy's done a good job preparing me for entry into the workforce as a software engineer.
    I have a very good opinion of App Academy because I can see the results of all my work and studying. I'm able to make amazing web applications and I have a good understanding of the coding languages and tools taught by App Academy.

It is a lot of work, though. I woke up at 7 and commuted 40 minutes to App Academy, where I coded from 9AM to 6PM. Then I commuted 40 minutes home and either reviewed the day's material or studied for the next day's material from 8PM to 11PM. As daunting as that sounds, it is completely do-able. It's hard, but it's not impossible. Just be prepared for it and keep your end goal in mind.

Furthermore, I've been talking to friends and hear about the friends of friends who have gone through coding interviews. Many of those interview topics have already been covered by App Academy.

If I have to nitpick about things, it is that I don't think that we reviewed enough material as we progressed through the course. We learned ALOT. Which means we also forget a lot. We're told that we should review after class, but most days, there's so much material to look at for the next day that I don't have time to review.

I still really enjoyed my time here at App Academy, though, and I'll be missing it.

• Joe • Student
    If you are willing to study 70+ hrs weekly, App Academy does a great job to train you to become a software engineer. You will learn a lot during the pairing programming with your partners. After class, you spend night time learning the next day's material. New topics are introduced almost every day and you can find yourself falling behind easily. Overall, you can expect to come out of App Academy with programming skills, good projects, and a lot of job search resources.
  • Jen Lu • Graduate
    I definitely learned a lot while I was at App Academy and I really value the experience, however it was extremely draining emotionally and mentally.

Pros: The TAs are all really friendly and eager to help whenever a problem arises. Many of the paired programming projects we did really helped me learn as I was able to work with some brilliant minded people and see their thought process as we went along.

Cons: It often took a long time for a TA to come help because the student to TA ratio was pretty skewed. I really disliked the lectures as we just all sat and stared at the projector with no desks or laptops. The job search curriculum has been pretty generic and I don't see much value in it.

All in all, I started this journey with zero programming experience and came out knowing more than I could have either thought in just 16 weeks.
  • Try Khov • Graduate
    For those that are considering a bootcamp and live around the SF area, App Academy is absolutely worth it. What I love most about App Academy is that despite my prior experience in programming, I was constantly challenged and learned something new each day. The curriculum is rich enough that even the more experienced programmers will feel like they're getting something out of it. I can't recommend this program enough for those that are looking for a bootcamp.

However, my main suggestion is that prior to applying or even considering this bootcamp, you should learn to code. I know this sounds counterintuitive, but the purpose of a bootcamp is not just to teach you how to code, it's to help get a job to build a career. In addition, learning to code prior gives you a sense on whether or not you even enjoy learning how to code. If you do, then definitely put in some time to learn prior to applying. It not only prepares you for the admissions interview but also will help you immensely in the program. App Academy is incredibly competitive and while there are many people that come into this program with little to no knowledge of how to code and ultimately succeed, there are many that don't make it pass the first few weeks. This is simply because the program has a strike out policy where if they deem that you're too far behind in their expectations of where you should be, you could get dismissed.

App Academy is a great investment and I highly recommend that those that are considering this program will also consider the time and commitment. Everyone will do whatever it takes to make sure that you learn the material and get that job but only if you're willing to do your part in that process as well.

Pros:
    • Rich curriculum of learning full-stack development and job searching
    • Has career coaches that work extensively to help you find a job
    • Relatively affordable: for those that can't pay the entire tuition out of pocket, the deferred plan is a great option that asks for a deposit and a fraction of your first year's income. This is a great choice because other bootcamps have policies that extend over 1 year and the repayment is little compared to what you'll be making as a software engineer.
    • Learn by doing: The curriculum emphasizes learning by doing. So you'll be working on a lot of projects but don't worry. The projects are not expected to be completed. They're meant to be for YOUR learning experience.

Cons:
    • San Francisco is expensive. If you don't live in San Francisco, expect to dedicate some time commuting to and from the campus (SF traffic sucks).
    • Doesn't necessarily take into account everyone's learning style. I learn better when I'm coding along with someone but lectures don't allow for computers so it's difficult to pay attention when I have to write notes with pen and paper while trying to follow lecture slides.
    • Too much pair programming: App Academy focuses on pair programming to get students to learn how to communicate and work with partners. This style is the majority of the program. It would be nice if we had more days to work by ourselves to learn the material at our own pace.

• Justin Fang • Student
    Pros:
    -great support system from TA's
    -learn a ton of new technologies in a very short amount of time
    -you get to meet a great cohort of like-minded individuals, largely who will become your network in the future
    Cons:
    -instruction can sometimes seem unorganized
    -some material can be learned online that is often easier to understand than provided lectures
  • App Academy Review
    - 2/17/2020
    Edward Kim • Graduate
    App Academy is a time intensive and challenging bootcamp. If you're willing to put in the work, it is very rewarding. The staff is very helpful and encouraging. Bigger classes might have a harder time getting help because there is a queue to ask questions. Besides coursework, App Academy also helps those who graduate with their job search. Overall, it was a very positive experience.
  • Excellent
    - 2/16/2020
    Jesse • Software Engineer • Graduate
    Overall, my experience at App Academy was 100% worth it. I decided to attend aA after taking a computer science course at college and realizing how much I enjoyed it. I was looking into coding bootcamps, and App Academy was recommended to me by a friend. After comparing the prep-work between other bootcamps and aA, it became obvious that App Academy's curriculum was far superior to the others - leading me to eventually choose it over the other options.

After the course, the practical material I learned and the depth to which I learned it allowed me to successfully complete a full stack onsite interview and land a position within 2 weeks of finishing aA. While this was not the norm, I believe that overall App Academy is a valuable asset to someone wishing to enter the field of software engineering. With hard work, it is quite difficult not to learn the material and, by the end, graduate with the ability to build a complete full stack application. The added bonus of the option to delay payment makes it pretty accessible as well.
  • Chelsea • Graduate
    a/A was an extremely demanding bootcamp (talking 90 hour weeks) but it was well worth it! I gained so much knowledge that I know I wouldn't be able to learn on my own over the same amount of time. Each day brought new curriculum to learn and there is homework every night that is required in order to be prepared for the next day's material. I knew some Python prior to attending, but almost all of my coding skills I learned at a/A. The instructors were former a/A students so they teach understanding the student's perspective and are always willing to help. You pair program every day which to me was great because I loved having the opportunity to work with all of my cohort mates. Towards the end of the bootcamp, you build a full stack clone of an app of your choice which is invaluable in terms of job searching.

All in all, a/A was certainly stressful at times but highly rewarding in terms of the knowledge and skills you gain. You have to be truly ready to commit 100% of your time (no joke) and have a passion for coding but if being a SWE is your dream like it is mine, you'll do just fine.
  • Great bootcamp
    - 2/8/2020
    Kevin Nguyen • Graduate
    I didn't know a coding bootcamp with be with satisfying. I think there was a lot to learn in a short amount of time but a lot of the course is based on how much extra time you put in. The course is very solid and extensive with great instructional information to go along with each topic. If you're willing to put in the work, it is definitely doable. I would highly recommend if you are on the fence about doing it.