app-academy-logo

App Academy

New York City, Online, San Francisco

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (1076) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (25) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
  • Anonymous • a/A grad • Student

Overall I had a very good experience at App Academy. The instructors are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful, and for the most part my fellow students were as well. I do wish there was more focus on JavaScript over Ruby but don't feel that I can't hit the ground running after completing the js portion of the curriculum. My one and only suggestion for a/A would be to incorporate more solo time over pair programming. Of course I understand the benefits of pair programming but in a course that is so packed with material that NEEDS to be learned and absorbed daily, for those of us that don't learn as well in a pair situation this can be a hinderance. All in all though, if you are hesitant about a/A or wondering if it is the right fit for you I would definitely say do it. I certainly don't regret my decision.

(I haven't rated the job support because I am going through it now)

Pros:
    - Classmates are an awesome bunch and are what kept me motivated during stressful situations. They're really supportive, hard working, and knowledgeable.
    - Pair programming was an effective way to learn, and coding curriculum is well put together and informative.
    - TAs are very helpful, friendly, and supportive.

Cons:
    - Expect to spend 70-100 hours per week.
    - 2 failed assessments and you are out of the program.
    - Lack of hardware equipment (i.e. monitors, stands, and cords/cables)

Writing this review 12 weeks into the full-time course I can honestly say that I was able to find a great deal of value from attending the course. Coming into App Academy with little programming experience, I've noticed my skillset improve week by week in a tangible way. My experience in interacting with the staff has been largely positive as well. The TA's are all very knowledgeable and are great at leading you to develop a full understanding of the material that you are working on. My favorite part of attending the program has been making connections with the other individuals going through the course.

This program is definitely a full time commitment, and the workload estimate of 90+ hours a week is accurate. To anyone looking to attend the full time course, I highly recommend the program, with the caveat that you are ready to dedicate 3+ months of your life (not including the time spent job searching full time after the course), eating, sleeping and breathing code.

App Academy provides people the opportunity to switch to a different career and grow as a software developer. My experience there was great and rewarding. The course itself is intense and challenging and definitely requires hard work and dedication. I think people should take into consideration how much time and work it actually takes to succeed in the course. I wish though there can be more support and opportunities for women and minorities to succeed there. Over all, I do recommend the course, however, it is not for everyone. You will need a lot of support from your family and friends close to you.

• Pretty Good
    - 8/15/2017
    Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

TL;DR
    Yes, you will learn enough at App Academy to find employment as a software engineer and earn salary at market rate, but be prepared to do a good amount of work on your own after the program.

I graduated from App Academy earlier this year. I was waiting until I found a job before I wrote this review. To be transparent, App Academy offers a free sweatshirt for writing reviews, regardless of rating, but my intention here is to share my experience and honest opinions.

Initially I applied to App Academy and Hack Reactor, as these appeared to be the top two bootcamps with the most rigorous admissions process. I ended up choosing App Academy because you learn two languages, Javascript and Ruby, and they offer tuition deferment.

The curriculum is App Academy's best asset.  I can attest that they teach Ruby, Rails, SQL, and React very thoroughly. They lay a strong foundational basis for Javascript, jQuery, HTML/CSS, and algorithms for you to improve upon later. And you will have to study some of these topics on your own to get to a level sufficient for employment, particularly when it comes to Javascript.

Other positive points of the program include pair programming, supportive staff, smart cohort mates, etc. The staff for the most part consists of App Academy graduates, teaching and non. This is a double edged sword; on the one hand they know the curriculum very well, having gone through it themselves, but as most of them don't have industry experience, it becomes challenging when you have question beyond the scope of the curriculum. App Academy is also deeply committed to providing a safe, inclusive environment. They take violations of their code of conduct incredibly serious and as a female of color, I very much appreciated these efforts.

The job search curriculum is not as strong as the academic portion, but it is a work in progress and constantly changing. I was expecting App Academy to have built connections with recruiters and companies over the past several years, but that was not the case. There is a small team called Talent Match that does focus on outreach to companies, but no one that I know in my cohort or previous cohorts has found work through them. You are pretty much on your own in terms of finding and securing work. App Academy provides resources and suggestions on where to look for work, how to write your resume and cover letter, how to network, what networking events are happening each week, interview practice, etc. but this information is also readily available on the internet. They do have a relatively good alumni network (that's how I ended up finding my job) but that is mostly dependent on the individual and how willing they are to help others. I'd like to see App Academy have hiring partners that recruit directly from App Academy graduates and continue building their alumni network.

In the end, it took me three months to find a job, which is about average. For me, the job search was the hardest part. I had to do CONSIDERABLE additional learning on my own, with little App Academy structure and the entire reason I wanted to attend a bootcamp in the first was place was to have everything laid out for me. Recently App Academy added a job seeker program which was somewhat helpful in organizing my time and giving me some form of structure.

From what I've seen, it's taking each cohort longer and longer to find work. Alums I spoke to from a couple years ago often found work within weeks. The first person from my cohort to find work took almost a month. This is no surprise considering the volume of students that App Academy and other bootcamps graduate every few weeks. The best piece of advice I can give here is to be prepared for that both financially and mentally. Also recognize that it really is a numbers game, the more jobs you apply to, the better your chances of an interview, and the more interviews, the better you get at them, the more likely you are to get an offer.

To address and/or echo some of the comments/criticisms that have made here. Yes, the 13 weeks are extremely time intensive and you will probably feel burned out at the end (I know I did). You don't have much time to recover post program/pre applying to jobs, however, I did find the staff accommodating and reasonable like humans, not like corporate robots. There are rules because students perform better when there are consequences but the rules are not so rigid that App Academy will not work you if have a concern.

• Worth It!
    - 8/11/2017

App Academy has probably been one of the best and most unique experiences I've had. I was admitted through their JumpStart program, which I gave me a good sense of the actual bootcamp would be like.  Even though I have no prior coding experience, App Academy has provided me the resources I needed to succeed.

PROS:
    - STAFF: App Academy has amazing staff members. They're always very willing to provide help and share their experiences with you. All the TA's have gone through the program previously, so they really understand how you feel.  Everyone is very knowledgeable and ready to tackle your next bug.
    - CURRICULUM: The curriculum is constantly being updated to match the current state of the industry. They know what is hot at the moment and what employers are looking for. Every night there is always homework and readings to be completed to prepare for the next day.

CONS:
    - STRICT: Because of their unique business model, they do have to hold us accountable. Assessments happen often, and you have to be prepared for them. If you fail two assessments, you will be asked to leave the program.
    - WORKLOAD: Be prepared to dedicate yourself 110% to this program. It really is a commitment and determination.

They are not kidding when they advertise a 90-100 work week. This is a difficult program but if you are like me you need the structure of a course to learn coding in a reasonable amount of time. I got from App Academy exactly what I wanted, a full development stack while learning the best programming practices. While you will need to continue to polish your skills after the program, they teach you how to pick up new technologies.

• Worth your time!
    - 8/10/2017

The program teaches you valuable skills to get a job in this competitive market. A lot of the teacher assistants have personally been through the program themselves which makes it easy for them to understand our struggles. The curriculum was intense and at some points you struggle to find time to finish all the material which would come from your sleeping time. Overall its worth the time, effort and money.

• Anonymous • Software Developer • Student

App Academy was the most time-consuming and stressful experience of my life thus far, but I am amazed at how much I was able to learn in such a short amount of time. The instructors and students do a wonderful job of pushing you to continue despite tiredness and frustration. The hands-on learning style and very knowledgeable instructors/TAs make for an effective learning environment.

• Great Camp
    - 8/3/2017

App Academy is one of my biggest decision in life to date. I am currently in week 10 of the program, and it has been everything that I expected but more.

The hours are not a joke. Expect to put in 80-100 hours a week on programming and do nothing else. Coming from a engineering background, I was really relaxed for the first two weeks, but the the program quickly outpaced my existing knowledge. I started learning completely new technologies every week, and got tested the following week on a decent level. The fast-paced program helped me learn a lot in a short period of time, which I definitely could not have accomplished on my own.

The people you meet here are incredible, I didn't think there would actually be graduates from Harvard MBA, Stanford, MIT, or ex-workers from Google, Pinterest.

The only thing you have to know that App Academy is still a company and it has to make profi. They try to pack a lot of materials into the job search curriculum where you build your javascript project and flex project, each in less than a week. So the last couple weeks of the program can be a little overwhelming.

Overall a great experience!

App Academy is a great bootcamp for kickstarting a career as a software developer. The curriculum is comprehensive and constantly being updated to ensure its relevance. Be prepared to focus all of your energy to the bootcamp as it will require about 80 hours a week. The one downside to App Academy is that you are required to continue to come into App Academy until you find a job.

The project and your peers will push you to work harder than ever. Even though learning programming is relatively personal, it's worth it if one is not perfect on self-discipline.