app-academy-logo

App Academy

Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (895) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (24) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

Start Date October 26, 2020
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    October 26, 2020 - New York City
    December 21, 2020 - New York City
    November 16, 2020 - San Francisco
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Start Date October 5, 2020
    Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    October 5, 2020 - Online
    November 2, 2020 - Online
    November 30, 2020 - Online

The amount of material App Academy requires students to learn within 3 months is tremendous. If students don't keep up every day and manage time well, it is difficult to keep up. To put it into perspective, I took two quarters of C in college and the material I learned was roughly equivalent to the 1 month prepwork that is required after you get in before you actually start the course.

Pros:
    - The material is well thought out and the curriculum is solid.
    - You are surrounded daily by peers just as driven as you.
    - Great staff and instructors. (Just as in any educational setting you'll find some spectacular instructors vs good instructors)
    - Able to learn materials needed to get a job within a succinct amount of time

Cons:
    -The curriculum pacing in the beginning is a bit slow and suddenly week it speeds up quickly after week 4 making it difficult to catch up at times
    - You are required every day from 9 - 6pm and with the homework is usually a 12 hour work day. This could be considered a pro if you don't have other commitments such as family, or spend two hours commuting daily as I did.
    - No longer a 12 week bootcamp but a mandatory 13 week course

Overall, App Academy is a solid program, and the instructors are committed in seeing you succeed. They have a solid business model which makes them even more motivated to help the students. Would definitely recommend App Academy to anyone who has the passion and resources.

• Anonymous • Frontend Engineer • Graduate

I went to App Academy and I have a job as a frontend developer now. I had foreign language skills and no coding background before App Academy, and I only realized that coding bootcamps were a thing about 14 months ago. After graduating on February 10th, 2017 I accepted an offer today with a base salary of $90k in the Bay Area after sending out almost 300 applications over the past two months. It worked for me as advertised so I'm satisfied.

a/A was an amazing opportunity that I'm definitely happy and thankful I chose to take! a/A is a ton of work, and requires extreme dedication in order to be successful. However, I wasn't surprised at this because a/A is very clear that it is an intensive program. You will not succeed if you are not willing to make a/A your #1 priority. The more preparation you give yourself, the better. a/A provides some prep work, but if you push yourself to do more (e.g., study algorithms, javascript, oop, etc.) you'll be even more prepared. I never felt like I wouldn't be able to succeed here, as long as I was willing to put in the effort. I don't have a job yet, so I can't vouch for that aspect of it. However, the program itself was amazing and I feel very prepared. For the past couple months I have been learning at a really fast pace. I do not have a STEM background (majored in Psychology in college), so don't let it scare you off if you don't have a STEM background! From the very beginning I felt like a/A was SUPER organized. It's really impressive. They update the material with each cohort in order to stay current, and make sure that the material they are using is the best it can be. The whole program is highly organized, with homework given each night and specific projects to work on during the day (as well as lecture). I definitely felt like there were enough TAs to help us out while we're working. You spend the first several weeks of a/A pair programming on a daily basis. This was a great experience, and definitely helped me learn a lot from my peers. I definitely think a/A is a great place to be! However, we go through material extremely quickly. If you're the type of person who would want to go at a slower place a/A might not be the right place for you. There's nothing wrong with this, just differing learning styles! Most of the projects I started, I was not able to finish. This is how the program is built. It moves quickly, and you learn a ton.

The curriculum is very fast and you get grouped with like-minded people who also want to learn and get a job. The TA's are very helpful and they are constantly available to answer your questions during the daily assignments.

There are some things to be wary about, though. If you fall behind, you will be playing catch up and be stressed for the rest of the curriculum. For that reason, I suggest people who are looking to attend to prepare by making going through free online classes on Ruby, Javascript, and some basic SQL. Know about object oriented programming. The prepwork they send you if you get in is a drastic change of pace from the coding challenges that you will be doing to get in.

The whole time it feels like we are just learning random things, but during the Full Stack Project everything comes together. This is the place to go to get started in the software development field.

I just finished the coding curriculum of App Academy. I've been in tech my entire adult career and always had an interest in learning to dev. The opportunity to join App Academy came last year and I jumped at the chance and haven't looked back. The program is rigorous, expect to put in the hours, but you will get out of it is reciprocal of the effort and time you put into the program. That being said, I greatly enjoyed my time there and would highly recommend it to anyone who is serious about changing their career to development.

I recommend this to anyone who wholeheartedly wants to get a job as a software developer. Even though I can technically learn the material myself through YouTube and other free sources, It would have taken me several times longer. Be warned, only ~3% get into the course and people do get kicked for not being able to keep up with the curriculum.

• It's Over Already?
    - 1/22/2017

App Academy is single-handedly the best decision I have ever made in my life. I've learned more these past few months than I have the last year of self teaching. The workload is draining as they essentially have you coding from 9AM to 6PM 5 days a week. But if you put in the work and make use of the staff they have there, you should be able to get by fine. Speaking of the staff, A1. The TA's are always there to answer any questions you may have and genuinely enjoy explaining concepts to you. Also, if you ever have a question after hours the TA's are easily accessible through Slack.

12 weeks may seem like a long time, but trust me when I say it goes by fast.

You are expected to learn quite a bit about Ruby on your own before you are accepted into App Academy. Once in, you WILL be spending a lot of time learning and coding. A typical class day starts at 9am and ends at 6pm, but students will stay until 10-11 to finish the day's project or start on the next day's material. Expect this schedule for the next 4 months or so of your life.

The curriculum is constantly evolving to cater to the needs of the current job market. At the time I'm writing this, React/Redux is one of the hottest frameworks in the market, so the tail end of the curriculum is devoted to React. However, should another language/framework take over, the instruction team will configure the curriculum accordingly.

You will spend most of your day pair-programming with another student on the day's projects, switching every 15 minutes between typing and navigating (giving instructions on what to code next). The teaching assistants are available for help if the two of you get stuck on something.

The instruction team generally consists of graduates from previous cohorts, who, having gone through the same material, are constantly finding the best way to explain and present the curriculum.

The job assistance team regularly brings alums and industry insiders to discuss their experience with the program, and helps connect current students with alums at their firms. They will also help you with your communications to negotiate and maximize your earning potential, since a higher salary for you means a higher payment to them.

• Recommend!
    - 11/21/2016

Background: I came from a/A from graduate school in philosophy. I'm currently in the job portion of the curriculum.

Pros:
    The structure of the curriculum is great. I had some familiarity with Rails before, but their presentation of Rails was far clearer and intuitive from what I had gone through online.
    Pair programming is challenging, I learned a lot from it.
    The job curriculum is very helpful so far.
    The TAs are all helpful and friendly.
    Most people who attend a/A are smart and have a variety of different coding strengths which I learned from.
    Pay less up front!
    Recent cohorts continue to have good job placement rates.

Cons:
    Sometimes the schedule changes on short notice.
    On the whole, it's more expensive than other bootcamps which friends who now work as software engineers have attended (Dev Bootcamp).

Overall, I'd recommend it.

I was part of the September 2016 Cohort.  I found the environment very encouraging with support from both your TA's and peers . I was very impressed with the quality of instruction as well as the sheer quantity of information we learned in such a short amount of time. For example, we learned recursion in one day. I would highly recommend a/A to anyone looking to learn, grow and switch to a new fulfilling career in software development!

• The Real Deal
    - 11/18/2016

I am a natural skeptic, so I made sure to do a ton of research before attending App Academy.  After going through the program, I can safely say that App Academy is exactly how they advertise.  I learned more in 2 months than I could have hoped to learn in a year or more by myself.  The course is exactly what I needed as someone who came to tech as a former attorney, and I feel prepared to work as a full-time web developer.  I am truly glad I had the opportunity to attend and would recommend it to anyone serious about switching careers into web development.