app-academy-logo

App Academy

Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (899) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (24) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

Start Date October 26, 2020
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    October 26, 2020 - New York City
    December 21, 2020 - New York City
    November 16, 2020 - San Francisco
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Start Date November 2, 2020
    Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    November 2, 2020 - Online
    November 30, 2020 - Online
  • Awesome Experience!
    - 11/10/2017

App Academy is extremely challenging, which is EXACTLY what you need to become a great developer and compete for a spot at a top company. I could not recommend this experience more if you are looking to be challenging, but guided venture into the world of code.

• I know kung fu
    - 11/6/2017
    There's no faster way on the planet to pick up this skillset. The load is heavy, equivalent to taking 24 credits of upper division credits. Expect to spend 13+ hours a day focusing on new material. Expect to be confused most of the time. Expect to have a blast with your new best friends. You will not have time to achieve mastery of a topic before moving on to the next. If that's a problem for you, walk away now and pick a slower-paced course. You get the first taste of a new topic in the homework, the second taste in the lecture, and the third taste during the daily pairing project. There's a lot of stumbling, and that's ok -- the course is based on repetition, so you do pick up the skills, so long as you put the time in. That said, it's only when you look back on what you've done that you can really appreciate how far you've come. Embrace the confusion, and come out successful.
  • Highly recommend
    - 11/5/2017
    Anonymous • student • Student

This program requires quite a bit of work and effort, but it is worth it. Coming in, I had very little notion of what it meant to write good code or build web applications, but I have learned a lot through this process. The highlight for me was the curriculum. We start off learning basic Ruby syntax and object-oriented programming, move on to (a very light sprinkling of) algorithms, then Rails, user authentication, javascript, and finally React/Redux. In retrospect, the structure of the curriculum makes it feel like you learn the building blocks of web applications from the ground up. I have a lot (a lot!) to learn, but aA has definitely brought me to a good place in terms of self sufficiency.

Things to note:
    - If you fail two tests, they will kick you out (no exceptions). They want everybody to be at least getting 85/90% on everything. This is sad if you start to befriend someone who then leaves...
    - Shortcuts are great. Learning small shortcuts on Mac has improved not just my coding flow but also my own experience browsing the web.
    - You really have to spend a lot of time on the program. I had been living in NYC for a couple years before aA, so early on I just got used to telling friends that I couldn't hang out for like another month or two. That being said, if you do a good job studying you can usually buy yourself some weekend time (e.g. I attended  few parties and weddings during the course).
    - Expect collaboration. You are pair programming everyday, which means taking turns 'driving' an 'navigating' every 15 minutes or so. I usually enjoy solving problems alone, but I actually really appreciated this aspect of the program. The few days where we worked solo ended up being pretty lonely...

Full disclosure: I'm getting a hoodie for writing this review. I don't believe that sways my opinion, but I feel it's fair that you know the context.

I'm writing this review having just completed my first 9 weeks of App Academy. In the last 9 weeks, (really 13 since there's about 4 weeks of prepwork assigned before the course starts), I've gone from 0 experience as a web developer to having created my own full stack web app using a Ruby on Rails backend with a React with Redux frontend. I can't speak yet to the quality of their job search curriculum, which I will go through over the next 3 weeks, but I will say that their full stack curriculum is absolutely effective for a few reasons. First, you should know that some of the students, roughly 15% in my cohort, were dismissed for not passing assessments before completing the curriculum, so being accepted is only the beginning of the journey. The ones who made it through are absolutely better programmers for having gone through the program. Many of my classmates started with little to no experience programming, and are full-fledged web developers now.

I think this is mostly due to the amount of reps as a programmer that you get through the course. Every day, there are 2 hours of lecture, and then you peer program for 5-6 hours. Then there are homeworks and readings to do before you get to class. Shower, sleep, and repeat for 9 weeks. Peer programming is a process through which you sit down and talk through and try to solve problems with someone else. There are many factors conducive to learning and skill development at play during this time.

First, learning to verbalize your approach to a problem is immensely helpful to refining and solidifying knowledge. Second, having the accountability to keep trying to solve the problem and having help when you need it keeps the learning process moving. Third, an understated part of programming is looking up and researching documentation, which you will get a lot of practice doing. Last but not least, you are experiencing the same thing while you drive and your partner navigates, so you have the benefit of differing perspectives every day. Before I started a/A, I thought these skills were something I could learn on my own, but would be faster with a teacher. That's partly true, but it's also true that your fellow students aid in the learning process immensely. If I were describing a/A to a prospective applicant, I would tell you to look at it as an opportunity. An opportunity to work hard and learn. That's all it is. It's intense, but if you make it out, you will have absolutely developed hard, bankable skills as a programmer.

Hi, I took the 4 week AppAcademy "bootcamp prep" course which wasn't very difficult and I was able to complete all of the exams without really studying. That being said,  I do feel that the course covered Javascript pretty well and I may have learned one or two things I didn't know beforehand. However, I didn't have the greatest experience after the course ended. There wasn't help with applying to schools and I felt totally unprepared for the non-technical interview which may have been partially my fault (even though I read all of the material for the interview and spent much time writing out what I was going to say). I think they could have covered this at least a little bit in the course I spent $3,000 on. Please make an informed decision when attending any school of the like and don't make the same mistake as me.

• Anonymous • Student • Student

I was asked to leave App Academy after on Week Five Day Three, but I’m still leaving a four star review. Is it true that “Students from all backgrounds find success” at aA? Yes, I believe this is true. But please, heed this warning: if you don’t already understand computer science concepts, you will need to be a *very* quick learner.  I’m not talking about Honor’s Society in high school, deans list in college quick-learner/smart. That’s me, and that’s not smart enough. If you don’t already understand computer science concepts, you need to be the kind of smart where the only reason you finished your BC Calculus final in 45 min instead of 40 was how your hand cramped holding your pencil.

If you’re not that smart, that’s also fine, you just have to be *prepared*. Breadth first search algorithm? Depth first? It's not rocket science, but don’t let aA be the first place you’ve ever heard those words strung together. If you don’t have a clear understanding of sorting/searching algorithms, what restful routes and APIs are, how to build a CRUD web application, how object oriented programming works and why it is useful - STOP and just study those concepts before you get there. I thought that it was okay that I didn’t know these things because App Academy would teach me.

But it’s important to remember App Academy uses a peer learning model. Like in Montessori, the teacher sets up the classroom and the students learn from each other. You aren’t really "taught" exactly - you teach yourself, which in the end is much more powerful. You get so much more out the experience by actively explaining concepts to other students, which is not going to happen if you just found out what authentication is five minutes ago. The power of peer learning is incredible, and I learned *so much * at aA that I can’t say I regret attending, despite being “dismissed for academic reasons” after one month.

Guys, don’t get dismissed. There were 63 people in our cohort, I think 13 were dismissed. I don’t wish it on anybody. To give up everything, quit your job and move cities, to make friends with incredibly kind and intelligent and hardworking people, and have to leave because your brain couldn’t apply this new information fast enough - it is really a bummer. Avoid it at all costs. In the end, I didn’t want my money back, I wanted to stay.

My preparation strategy was if I knew the alpha prep course, I would do fine. This is not enough. If you can, build a CRUD rails app before you get there. (Masher Hossian has a good tutorial on Udemy. Pay attention to how database associations work.) Understand every big concept in those games in the prep course. Yes, the prep course is terrible, everything is out of order and you’ll spend hours trying to understand confusing code that isn’t explained. But building a game with specs is the second test, and don’t waste your one free fail on that one, like so many people did. If you can, go through the Khan Academy Computer Science course. What’s an algorithm, what are time/space complexity, what is a data structure? Yes, these concepts will be covered, and once you know them, it’s like a whole new world has been opened up to you.

It’s fine to be new to these things - everyone was at one point! Just remember the day you decided to become a software engineer is the day you committed to practicing everyday and relentlessly studying everything you don’t understand, regardless of whether you choose to attend aA as part of that journey.

• Life changing
    - 10/27/2017
    Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

When compared to the theoritical lessons taught in most of my classes while in the UC system, I loved how hands-on and immersed this experience was. The curriculum taught practical skills that's used almost everyday on the job, and the learning experience made the transition into the real-world quite seamless.

It was intense - looking at 90+ hrs of work per week - and challenging, but it was necessary and shone a light on whether or not I was capable or if this career was fitting. Their tuition model is definitely attractive; it's low risk, since you don't owe tuition until you're hired post-graduation.

I've dabbled in programming before and enjoyed it, but I was never sure enough to go through with it in a 4-year system. The bootcamp essentially let me test the waters and learn something new in just 3 months time, with very little to lose. I finally have a full-time career in something I love doing, and if you're at all curious if this is right for you, I'd recommend App Academy.

All of the tools and resources are there for anyone to succeed at AppAcademy. Graduates are usually people who make the best of these resources, but not always. People who succeed at this program are people who can make the best of these resources both during the program and well after, into the job search as well.

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

App Academy was my first choice,  because:
    — it's tuition model
    — great reviews and overall rating
    — greatest TA's
    — it's curriculum
    — supportive classmates
    Although it's pretty hard to keep the pace for the whole course, it pays back, once you start working on your final project, you'll realize that you know a lot, even if you thought you don't.
    Greatest experience.

Here's an interview with the founder of App Academy - Kush Patel

There's a handful of coding bootcamps out there, but App Academy stands alone (for a good reason). What differentiates this program from all others out there is THE PEOPLE. The way they achieve an incredibly diverse and hard working group of people is through the deferred tuition model coupled with the selective process to get in. This creates an assemblage of some of the most intelligent, kind, and hardest working people I have ever met. The curriculum is perfectly planned out and constantly adapting to the coding environment out in the wild. The teachers know the material inside and out, questions are encouraged and a habit of collaboration is instilled. I can't thank this school enough. They made me realize that it's true that anyone can code and as a bonus, its REALLY FUN.

Apply Now. It's worth it.

• WORTH IT!
    - 9/19/2017

This program has an amazing curriculum and community! I have never felt more driven to succeed. Both the students around you and the TA's truly want you to be the best you can be! The curriculum as well is built after many cohorts of perfecting anything that they could. The payment plan is also built to enable you to succeed

The program throws a ton of work at you so it is impossible to relax. However, this ensures you progress much quicker than you would be able to on your own, and all the teachers and classmates are very supportive throughout the curriculum.