App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.
Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.
App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.
Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.68
Recent App Academy News
- App Academy Grad Jerrik Won $500 in Our Sweepstakes!
- February 2019 Coding Bootcamp Podcast
- April 2018 Coding Bootcamp News Podcast
Start Date None scheduled Cost $0 Class size N/A Location OnlineWith App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
Deposit N/A Refund / Guarantee Your full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
Deposit None Tuition Plans Standard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795 Refund / Guarantee Money back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
Minimum Skill Level No experience required Prep Work None required Placement Test No Interview No
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week16 Weeks
Deposit Only applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required. FinancingLending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option. Tuition Plans $17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit) Refund / Guarantee Guaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
Minimum Skill Level Basic computer literacy Prep Work Provided at each step by App Academy. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
More Start DatesAugust 31, 2020 - New York CityOctober 26, 2020 - New York CityDecember 21, 2020 - New York CitySeptember 21, 2020 - San FranciscoNovember 16, 2020 - San Francisco
OnlineFull Time40 Hours/week24 Weeks
Deposit $0 FinancingAvailable through Climb Credit Tuition Plans - ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000 Refund / Guarantee Guaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
Minimum Skill Level Basic computer literacy Prep Work Provided at each step by App Academy. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
More Start DatesAugust 10, 2020 - OnlineSeptember 7, 2020 - OnlineOctober 5, 2020 - OnlineNovember 2, 2020 - OnlineNovember 30, 2020 - Online
App Academy Reviews
876 reviews sorted by:
- Jon Bent • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedInLearning is slow paced in the beginning, but speeds up as the program progresses. You really start to learn when you're thrown into the project building portion. At this point it could take up to 5 hours to get a Teacher to show up to help you out, so you have to figure stuff out yourself. Some of the Teachers are amazing, others are lackluster, so you never know what you're gonna get when you ask a question. Overall I've learned a lot in App Academy, I just wish I could say it was mostly their doing.
- Best education- 2/4/2020Jan • Developer • Student • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedInThis program is challenging but well worth it. You will spent about 80-90hours every week.
If you are thinking about entering the coding industry this bootcamp is a good choice. It is not for everyone. As I said its really challenging and you have to spent 100% of your time on this program. But you will meet a lot of great people along the way and get a really good education.
- Matteo • Student • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedInI'm currently in my fifth of sixth months at App Academy and I can honestly say that I've never learned so much so quickly. At this point in the curriculum I have a lot of confidence in my skills and I am actually looking forward to the job search. I will say it has been a rough ride. This has been my life for the last 5 months and I've spent somewhere between 60-90 hours a week on average studying/reading to stay afloat but it has all been worth it as I can now build websites using different technologies all by myself. I'd recommend a/A to anyone who is serious about becoming a software developer, just know that while you're in this program it's going to take up MOST of your time.
- Great experience!!- 12/6/2019Phil Zheng • Student • Student • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via GitHub
TLDR: Loved it, and definitely worth it!
You really do get a job over 100K, typically within the first month or so if you're on top of your cohort. So if you're confident in your logical ability, definitely worth it. The flip side is, if programming seems hard for you, no matter how good the bootcamp, the job search is going to kick you in the butt. That said, 90% of graduates get hired in the first year, so if you get in, the odds are in your favor!
Aa is pretty selective in who they admit, and it ensures that people are capable of succeeding in this very competitive field. Computer engineering is a lot of work, but damn it is more interesting than almost any other job out there, and pays well too. Anyways, I say, take the dive!
- Paul • Student • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via GitHub
I came to App Academy with no previous coding experience, other than the small amount required to apply (which they have resources for). By the end of the program, I had made three functioning sites. No joke, it's a ton of work and it's all you'll do from morning to eve the whole time (if you want to be successful). There were certainly times of stress and some confusion, but fun and knowledge you gain vastly outweigh that.
- Nice program, great people- 12/5/2019MSong • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via GitHub
While having a structured learning environment, and a well-curated curriculum is essential for success in absorbing so much material in such a short time. I felt the most important yet unadvertised aspect of App Academy is the camaraderie and mutual support engendered by its people.
I learned so much from my classmates who were all diligent and brilliant . They inspired me to try harder and keep up. The TAs are knowledgable and supportive. My advice to any prospective student is to have faith in the program and also have blind faith in yourself.
- Software eng- 12/4/2019Broly • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedIn
- Alex Ng-Yow • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedIn
App Academy was a challenging experience, but equally as rewarding. I was very nervous going into the bootcamp, and even even considered dropping out in the very beginning. With the help of my TA's, however, I was able to over come my anxiety and persevere. There will be times that you feel overwhelmed, but do your best to absorb what you can and by the end of the program you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish. Also, never sacrifice sleep for work. The curriculum goes at a steady pace, but will not wait for you to recover if you start to lag. Finally, make sure to talk with the TA's if you need assistance, they are all great people and more than willing to help with questions or other problems.
- In reality: 1500+ hours of rigorous curriculum- 12/4/2019Ivo Pavlov • Graduate • Course: Online Full Stack Web Development • Campus: Online • Verified via LinkedIn
I just finished the online curriculum that began May 27, 2019, and ended November 8, 2019. The curriculum is no easy task. It takes everything you have. I was only able go through the course because I had an amazingly supportive partner that did everything while I studied and coded. Seriously, you will have no time to do anything besides study, code, and sleep. If you do anything else your performance will suffer. Be prepared to give up everything else in your life for the duration of the curriculum. I was putting in 80 hours per week and more. You get very few reprieves during your time in App Academy; it's called a bootcamp for reason. Do the readings. Do the homework. I will repeat: DO THE READINGS, DO THE HOMEWORK. Pass the assessments. You won't have time for anything else. You will do fine.
That being said, the curriculum is fairly good/decent, and will tell you what you need. Some spots are a bit lacking. The real value, however, is in the instructors. Without their guidance this would have been a much more difficult mountain to climb. My cohort was incredibly fortunate to have a pair of amazing instructors who not only did what App Academy expected them to do, but went well above and beyond. They gave up weekend days to help us study for assessments, one of them helped us from the airport on their day off while traveling, stayed after class to answer any questions, recorded these after-hours sessions for those who were unable to attend due to various reasons. In addition to that, make friends! You will help them, then they will help you. You will understand something they don't; they will understand something you won't. I made a tight-knit group and we have been helping each other since. You will keep each other accountable. The full stacks might seem a little rushed, but you will come back to them later.
The job search is definitely another mad dash afterwards. Just because the curriculum is over, doesn't mean the bootcamp is; it's over when you get hired. You are give a lot of help and support to get you started; resume help, portfolio site help, how to deploy your full-stack sites, and more. Afterwards, once you are given the green light to start applying (they might keep you from it for a week so you can polish your full-stack projects and do a mock interview to make sure you are ready), you are required to do at least 25 job applications per week to hold to your end of the tuition contract, along with continual studying/improvement of your skills; all of this is logged in an online system.
If you can get through the next 6 months (less for in-person) and trudge through the rejections in the job hunt, you will be glad you went to App Academy. Make no mistake: it will be tough.
- My trust in the curriculum never ceased.- 12/4/2019Joanna Chen • Student • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedIn
If you're a hard worker, then App Academy is the place for you! From the very beginning of the application process, I was impressed with how much I learned from just following App Academy's free online Intro to Ruby coursework. My trust in the curriculum never ceased. The atmosphere is one of the best educational atmospheres I've experienced - I'm sure this is because of App Academy's amazing TAs. It might be intimidating to hit the ground running with tons of new material every week, especially with App Academy's test fail-out system.. But at App Academy, you will be a part of a great community of people who are as hardworking as they are talented and smart. You will all struggle together and learn SO much together - all the hard work will pay off!