app-academy-logo

App Academy

New York City, Online, San Francisco

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.66

all (1022) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (26) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
  • Nick Bierman  User Photo
    Nick Bierman • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I was skeptical of the bootcamp model at first, but the App Academy team and curriculum made me believe in a bootcamp as a very legitimate model to change your career. With that being said, it requires your full attention for 9+ hours per day (sometimes on weekends as well). If you are truly driven to change your career, I highly recommend a/A, but it only works if you put in the work.

Pros: Lots of great instructors (most of whom are a/A grads since they emphasize hiring internally). Many bright, motivated students with whom to learn.

Cons: Some of the curriculum material is difficult to understand and could definitely be improved. To the instructors' credit, they consistently acknowledged student feedback on the material. My understanding is that they are constantly updating/upgrading the curriculum, so I suspect this issue is not permanent.
  • Tri T.  User Photo
    Tri T. • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I took the July 2020 in-person curriculum held remotely. I enjoyed my time at App Academy. The staff was great and a/A does a great job in providing a great learning environment (You are encouraged to always ask questions). I met a lot of great people and would highly suggestion creating a study group. App Academy's curriculum provides every student the foundation to succeed but every student's experience is a lot different. This is a situation where you get what you put in. The curriculum is fast and very tough, especially if you do not have any experience in coding. By the end of the program, you will have had 3 capstone projects (Full Stack, MERN stack, Vanilla Javascript). Overall, I'm happy with my decision on attending App Academy, but because it was such a rigorous curriculum, I would not want to go through it again.
  • Great Choice
    - 3/6/2021
    Nick M  User Photo
    Nick M • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I have to say, I was skeptical of bootcamps since some are known to inflate their statistics. But with app academy, I was happy to know they took everything seriously. I worked close to a 100 Hours a week, and the stress of having weekly assessments, that could kick you out of the program, weighed on me heavily. But at the end I learned a lot of new skills, which helps with the job search.
  • Jose  User Photo
    Jose • New Grad • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

TLDR:
    Of course it's hard. But the payoff is greaaaaaat! :D If you're thinking of what bootcamp, just apply to App Academy.

Pros: - Amazing experience - You can ask for help aaaaaaaaaall the time - Lots of resources - Relevant course materials - Software salaries are QUITE high - You learn 2 languages, a frontend framework, 3 projects (2 solo, 1 group), and a bunch of other stuff

Cons: - Sooooooooooo much work (your routine will be: Coffee, Lecture, Lunch, Work, Work, Dinner, Work, Sleep, Repeat for 16-weeks)

Not TLDR:
    Hello World! - the beginning of your journey; if in fact you are new to this stuff like I was. Before App Academy, I had been a Host and a Server in the restaurant business for four years. When the pandemic hit I was out of a job and had to look for options. I live in San Francisco and a ton of people here are in tech and so I thought I'd check it out and see if it was for me. I took a two-week Jumpstart program with App Academy and there I learned Ruby - a cool language that flows like plain English; mostly. I was never great at math but have always been interested in languages. Learning to code is like learning a language. If you like that, try it out. When you're coding you're solving problems and trying to get stuff to work. It can be very gratifying! Jumpstart was a lot of fun for me and so I applied to App Academy. On my first try I hadn't practiced my skills enough but on the second try I did great! From the first day at App Academy know that you are in for a lot of work. In the morning, I think it was ~9-12:30 for me, you will have lectures with 1-2 5-10 minute breaks in-between. In the afternoon, ~1:30-5, you will be paired up with a fellow classmate to solve a bunch of problems mostly related to your morning lectures. The lectures will be based on your previous evenings material. Expect about 4-6 hours of studying every evening - I wish that were a joke but you've got a lot to learn in 16-weeks. You will do your partner and yourself the most good if you do your homework. Please, please, please, do your homework. When I graduated, it took me about 2-3 more weeks to finish up my final projects. After that you go into job search and you will continue to do tons of work so that one day, you will land an awesome job in software!! :)
  • Chad  User Photo
    Chad • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overall really rewarding experience that challenges you by pushing you to your learning limit. There are many great resources throughout the program that are up to you to utilize in order to succeed. Ask questions when needed and take care of yourself throughout the 6 months and you will set yourself up with a new career and competitive skills!
  • Samuel Wong  User Photo
    Samuel Wong • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Bootcamp is very effective in teaching and assisting their students. Very fast-paced environment, get ready to start studying 8-10 hours a day every day of the weekdays.
  • Ramses  User Photo
    Ramses • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    My time at App Academy was great, met a ton of amazing people and the TA's were beyond helpful! I never felt like I wasn't getting sufficient help through out
  • Xin Wen Li Huang  User Photo
    Xin Wen Li Huang • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended App Academy in 2020, and had an overall positive experience. The main things that I got out of App Academy would have to be computer science principles, a strong and large network, and the confidence to go out and learn on my own. I am currently in the midst of my job search and I can largely attribute the attention that I am getting and what I know thanks to App Academy. Some things that can be worked on would just to make sure the curriculum is constantly being reviewed so that the most relevant and helpful material are being taught, or possibly having multiple curriculums with different tracks. I personally wished that the program did last a little bit longer, just because I found myself doing a lot of additional learning after my cohort ended, and felt like I could have learned those things more quickly under a controlled classroom environment. Overall, App Academy is one of the few good bootcamps out there. The amount of knowledge I have gained in just 4 months is quite remarkable,  and I have seen a lot of positive results in terms of getting interviews and jobs personally and amongst my peers.
  • Jonathan Siu  User Photo
    Jonathan Siu • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended app academy from July 2020 - Nov 2020, so the entire course was conducted via Zoom. The curriculum was intense and required me to essential dedicate my entire day to coding besides eating and sleeping. The teachers were helpful, but could have had a few more due to the high demand of questions amongst the students. I found a role in Feb 2021 due to a referral. Biggest tips would be to make friends and create study groups so you could rely on one another to motivate and help whenever you/others are stuck on a topic.
  • A great program
    - 2/25/2021
    Lauren Thompson  User Photo
    Lauren Thompson • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I would highly recommend App Academy to anyone who is wanting to switch careers. The TA's are very helpful and in my cohort the other students were very supportive of each other. It's a difficult and stressful program, there are assessments every week or two and you need to pass them to stay in the program. It's very fast paced because there is a lot of information to cover, and there will always be more to learn, but I think one of the most important things you learn to do at App Academy is how to quickly pick up new software and start using it. This has been one of the most beneficial skills I've seen during the job search and starting this new career. If you are prepared to put in a lot of effort this is a great program, and I think it will set you up for success, but you need to be prepared to put a lot of work in. Good luck and enjoy! It is one of the hardest things I've ever done, but also one of the best.
  • Paul Ramirez  User Photo
    Paul Ramirez • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    App Academy provided me with the structure I needed to learn the foundational skills necessary to become a software engineer. Their admissions process is rigorous for a reason - they need to select great people to be a part of the bootcamp because we have to pair program everyday. I thoroughly enjoyed closely working with new people on different projects and met a lot of talented individuals who had a lot to offer. You can surely learn all of this material alone, but definitely not at the pace or efficiency that a/A forces you to. You are accountable to others and have to make sure you are well versed in the material every day, or else you take away from the others in your cohort. Overall a great experience that taught me several skills I never had 16 weeks ago.
  • James Park  User Photo
    James Park • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    It is a very immersive experience with exposure to different technologies and practicing what we learned through trial and error through projects. Learned a lot once we started individually doing full-stack projects, testing what we learned, and expanding our initial understanding of the topics and concepts we learned through video lessons as well as guided lectures. Personally, I learned way more and at a faster pace than I could have on my own. I really respect that they don't just teach you everything and expect you to find a job on your own, but help you build an online presence that is competitive with today's market.