app-academy-logo

App Academy

Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (896) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (24) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

Start Date October 26, 2020
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    October 26, 2020 - New York City
    December 21, 2020 - New York City
    November 16, 2020 - San Francisco
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Start Date October 5, 2020
    Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    October 5, 2020 - Online
    November 2, 2020 - Online
    November 30, 2020 - Online
  • Jonathan • Graduate
    I was a student in the August 2019 cohort. App academy is great for getting up to speed on the fundamentals as well as the cutting edge frameworks currently used in the field. You truly get to know the full stack. However, before you sign up ask them about the cohort size. Previous cohorts have been ~30 students, our cohort was 65+ and it was a challenge working in such a large group. The career coaching during the job search was also very difficult (a lot of pressure), but the coach has left a/A and the rest of the staff seem to be on their game. Your milage may vary.
  • Kevin • Graduate
    When I was first deciding between bootcamps I wasn't sure how to determine the advantages of one over the other. Asking around in different bootcamps, App Academy definitely seemed to be the most competitive to get into as well as having a rigorous work load. I decided to attend App Academy and it was definitely one of the hardest and best things I've ever done. From the 4 months of course work, I learned a lot on frameworks and applications that are used in the industry. My cohort/class mates were extremely intelligent and I met a lot of great friends. They do have a policy where they ask you to leave if you fail two exams, which could be the reason for other negative reviews. The school provides you with everything you need to pass the exams and if you prepare enough then you should be fine. I did spend about 80 hours a week studying, but doing it alongside others is a part of the experience. The teachers/ lecturers are extremely knowledgeable and are always willing to help.
  • Brian Tran • Software Engineer • Graduate
     the learning environment is great, being surrounded by other people with similar interests and goals and supporting each other made App Academy a ton of fun. Even while working hard and studying most of the day, the friends and connections that you'll make will be well worth it. If you have a passion or interest in software engineering, I would definitely recommend App Academy if you have the time, regardless of the outcome you'll gain a lot out of the program.
  • Micaela Moss • Graduate
    App Academy has a rigorous curriculum, but is incredibly rewarding. In just a few months you go from barely knowing anything about coding, to being able to develop full stack apps. Along the way you also meet some amazing people and have a fantastic support system. You are surrounded by other students who share your same passion for coding as well as TA's who went through the program themselves. It's a lot of hard work, and can be stressful keeping up with the light-speed curriculum, but it's 100% worth it.
  • Manraj Singh • Student
    Learned a lot of new technologies with very important skill of debugging. Curriculum is designed carefully to get the maximum output. It's a fast paced learning environment which is my favorite thing for this curriculum. The only thing i felt needs improvement is management of job search phase. Lack of communication and proper announcements.
  • Good Experience!
    - 2/4/2020
    Mohammed Mustafa • Student • Student
    The program is good, learned a lot in a span of a couple of months and I feel confident enough to say I'm a software engineer/developer. One of the few downsides that comes to my mind is not focusing more on React/Redux and JavaScript which are very important and the fact we do Ruby for 2 months doesn't make sense.
  • Nick • Graduate
    I made it through the storm that is App Academy. App Academy is the most time consuming and stressful thing I have done in the last few years(And that includes starting a business).  My cohort started with around 25 people...  In the end, there were only 10 of us left(including a coder that was rolled back into our group).  Even though App Academy hours are from 8 am - 5 pm pacific time, there is usually a few hours of homework and readings every night as well. I usually found myself going to bend around midnight to 2 am studying every night since I was in central time.

In addition there are six assessments which you must score around an 85% to 90% or better in order to pass or after two fails you may be asked to leave the program.  So between studying for these assessments to remain in the program, doing the nightly homework videos, readings and coding projects where you are expected to take on and learn new content,  and the daily grind of 8 am to 5 pm (or 10 am to 7 pm if you are in the mid-west), and any ongoing projects or other fun homework that might be assigned, you might find yourself incredibly busy.

During the week it is pretty much impossible to find time to get out or do anything social. I made sure to keep myself active though and workout daily.  I think the assessments create a very stressful learning environment for the students and aren't a good measure of a coders ability. I saw many coders very stressed about the upcoming assessments. For some this brings out the best and motivates people to do better. For others, they would simply self-destruct.

What I love about App Academy is that it has taught me to think like a coder instead of having to resort to copy and paste or following tutorials to create websites, write backends, set up API endpoints, create games, or manage the flow of an app. I feel confident that I can build anything or learn any new kind of technology stack very quickly and use the thought process  that I have gained from App Academy.

I was bummed at first that they taught Ruby as I consider it a dying language(Yes Ruby is still in demand). Even though it has many easy and useful and methods that can making coding much faster and simpler, it appears that it is not being used nearly as much by companies as Javascript, Python, Java, and some other languages. (By the way App Academy is switching to Python and I am excited to get access to their content). However, App Academy taught me Javascript as well, React, the MERN stack with MongoDB.  I learned GraphQL, docker, postresql, how to make GeoQueries,  organize my code better, and take advantage of object oriented programming. I mastered algorithms,  recursion, data structures, became great at debugging and learned many other things.

Their curriculum is on a whole other level from what you will usually find. If you complete the course, you will a deep understanding of algorithms, data structures,  how servers work, requests, responses, big-O, LRU cache, optimizations and many other things. We did things like creating our own version of Rails Active Record to see how Ruby on Rails worked behind the scenes. We did the same thing with JQuery. Once again, its more than just copy and paste. It's real understanding that you can take to any other endeavor.

And what I have found, when picking up a new language, framework or stack, is that the thought process is pretty much the same. I have been able to teach myself Dart to make mobile apps in Flutter and pick up python very quickly just using the techniques and knowledge that I gained from App Academy.

The Instructors are excellent, brilliant problem solvers, very knowledgeable and almost always available, even on the weekends or if you have a late night question.

I am currently about to start the Job Search phase, so we will see how this converts to finding a job. However, I feel very confident in my abilities.  Would I have put in 19 hours a day in coding for 6 months without App Academy? Probably not. App Academy also gave me streamlined curriculum to be prepared for the job search and and to be ready to build anything, instead of wasting my time on many youTube videos or Udemy courses that aren't useful don't help you to actually learn to solve problems like a coder.

Even beyond the job search, this has definitely changed my life, since I have many website and app ideas, and now I possess the skills to bring them into reality. I am no longer unsure where to start or how to attack a problem. App Academy has helped to break down problems and return solutions.

I do wish they went more into design. But I found myself getting very strong at design by working on the projects at the end of the course.
  • Good and hard
    - 12/6/2019
    Adrian Rampy • Software Developer • Graduate

It is highly condensed by design, and you need to be ready for that. You can also get through the whole curriculum without a lot of the material just studying for tests - don't do that, it will not benefit you. Overall, quite a positive experience and I'm could not be more happy I decided to do it.

• App Academy
    - 12/6/2019
    Fion Pang • Graduate

Pros: If you're new they will help you transition in programming, it starts off with Ruby then changes into Javascript. At the end you will be able to code and you will see a huge difference if how you were before versus the end
    Cons: It's a lot of work so be prepared for it to take a lot of time

• Eunice • Graduate

Had a very exciting, fun experience going to app Academy. Everybody is just so nice, no matter who they are. Everybody is willing to help you to learn. I can say that it can be frustrating at most of the time but when you see the output of everything you worked for, it can also be so satisfying where you can surprise yourself on what you can do. Another good thing about them is they will never stop helping you as long as you need them.

• Wolf • Graduate

As a recent graduate I am still working to fulfill the goal I set before joining App Academy, to get paid as a professional developer. Even though I am not able to tell you how a/A helped me achieve that goal, I can say that the long hours and break neck pace in a variety of projects, as well as pair programming, definitely changed my own perspective of what I can accomplish within a week and I'm confident I can take care of any job that the industry will throw at me.
    I'll be honest: At their pace you wont retain most of what you learn. You will be acquainted with many things, but not quite knowledgeable in them. Maybe that's what the industry wants, maybe it is just how I feel. Regardless, it is a mixed bag. Do your research, be prepared for it, and make most of it.

• Great place :)
    - 12/5/2019
    Lisa • Student

The past few months at App Academy has been difficult but incredibly rewarding. The curriculum is definitely really fast-paced, as you are trying to learn how to develop a full-stack web application in merely a few months. However, as long as you are willing to put in the time and have a true passion for coding, you will succeed in this program!