app-academy-logo

App Academy

Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (876) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (24) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

Start Date August 31, 2020
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    August 31, 2020 - New York City
    October 26, 2020 - New York City
    December 21, 2020 - New York City
    September 21, 2020 - San Francisco
    November 16, 2020 - San Francisco
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Start Date August 10, 2020
    Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    August 10, 2020 - Online
    September 7, 2020 - Online
    October 5, 2020 - Online
    November 2, 2020 - Online
    November 30, 2020 - Online
  • Would recommend!
    - 4/2/2020
    Wilson • Student
    I really enjoyed my time here! I came to App Academy with a background in biology and knew nothing about coding. I've come a long way these past few months and I think that App Academy's done a good job preparing me for entry into the workforce as a software engineer.
    I have a very good opinion of App Academy because I can see the results of all my work and studying. I'm able to make amazing web applications and I have a good understanding of the coding languages and tools taught by App Academy.

It is a lot of work, though. I woke up at 7 and commuted 40 minutes to App Academy, where I coded from 9AM to 6PM. Then I commuted 40 minutes home and either reviewed the day's material or studied for the next day's material from 8PM to 11PM. As daunting as that sounds, it is completely do-able. It's hard, but it's not impossible. Just be prepared for it and keep your end goal in mind.

Furthermore, I've been talking to friends and hear about the friends of friends who have gone through coding interviews. Many of those interview topics have already been covered by App Academy.

If I have to nitpick about things, it is that I don't think that we reviewed enough material as we progressed through the course. We learned ALOT. Which means we also forget a lot. We're told that we should review after class, but most days, there's so much material to look at for the next day that I don't have time to review.

I still really enjoyed my time here at App Academy, though, and I'll be missing it.

• Joe • Student
    If you are willing to study 70+ hrs weekly, App Academy does a great job to train you to become a software engineer. You will learn a lot during the pairing programming with your partners. After class, you spend night time learning the next day's material. New topics are introduced almost every day and you can find yourself falling behind easily. Overall, you can expect to come out of App Academy with programming skills, good projects, and a lot of job search resources.
  • Jen Lu • Graduate
    I definitely learned a lot while I was at App Academy and I really value the experience, however it was extremely draining emotionally and mentally.

Pros: The TAs are all really friendly and eager to help whenever a problem arises. Many of the paired programming projects we did really helped me learn as I was able to work with some brilliant minded people and see their thought process as we went along.

Cons: It often took a long time for a TA to come help because the student to TA ratio was pretty skewed. I really disliked the lectures as we just all sat and stared at the projector with no desks or laptops. The job search curriculum has been pretty generic and I don't see much value in it.

All in all, I started this journey with zero programming experience and came out knowing more than I could have either thought in just 16 weeks.
  • Try Khov • Graduate
    For those that are considering a bootcamp and live around the SF area, App Academy is absolutely worth it. What I love most about App Academy is that despite my prior experience in programming, I was constantly challenged and learned something new each day. The curriculum is rich enough that even the more experienced programmers will feel like they're getting something out of it. I can't recommend this program enough for those that are looking for a bootcamp.

However, my main suggestion is that prior to applying or even considering this bootcamp, you should learn to code. I know this sounds counterintuitive, but the purpose of a bootcamp is not just to teach you how to code, it's to help get a job to build a career. In addition, learning to code prior gives you a sense on whether or not you even enjoy learning how to code. If you do, then definitely put in some time to learn prior to applying. It not only prepares you for the admissions interview but also will help you immensely in the program. App Academy is incredibly competitive and while there are many people that come into this program with little to no knowledge of how to code and ultimately succeed, there are many that don't make it pass the first few weeks. This is simply because the program has a strike out policy where if they deem that you're too far behind in their expectations of where you should be, you could get dismissed.

App Academy is a great investment and I highly recommend that those that are considering this program will also consider the time and commitment. Everyone will do whatever it takes to make sure that you learn the material and get that job but only if you're willing to do your part in that process as well.

Pros:
    • Rich curriculum of learning full-stack development and job searching
    • Has career coaches that work extensively to help you find a job
    • Relatively affordable: for those that can't pay the entire tuition out of pocket, the deferred plan is a great option that asks for a deposit and a fraction of your first year's income. This is a great choice because other bootcamps have policies that extend over 1 year and the repayment is little compared to what you'll be making as a software engineer.
    • Learn by doing: The curriculum emphasizes learning by doing. So you'll be working on a lot of projects but don't worry. The projects are not expected to be completed. They're meant to be for YOUR learning experience.

Cons:
    • San Francisco is expensive. If you don't live in San Francisco, expect to dedicate some time commuting to and from the campus (SF traffic sucks).
    • Doesn't necessarily take into account everyone's learning style. I learn better when I'm coding along with someone but lectures don't allow for computers so it's difficult to pay attention when I have to write notes with pen and paper while trying to follow lecture slides.
    • Too much pair programming: App Academy focuses on pair programming to get students to learn how to communicate and work with partners. This style is the majority of the program. It would be nice if we had more days to work by ourselves to learn the material at our own pace.

• Justin Fang • Student
    Pros:
    -great support system from TA's
    -learn a ton of new technologies in a very short amount of time
    -you get to meet a great cohort of like-minded individuals, largely who will become your network in the future
    Cons:
    -instruction can sometimes seem unorganized
    -some material can be learned online that is often easier to understand than provided lectures
  • App Academy Review
    - 2/17/2020
    Edward Kim • Graduate
    App Academy is a time intensive and challenging bootcamp. If you're willing to put in the work, it is very rewarding. The staff is very helpful and encouraging. Bigger classes might have a harder time getting help because there is a queue to ask questions. Besides coursework, App Academy also helps those who graduate with their job search. Overall, it was a very positive experience.
  • Excellent
    - 2/16/2020
    Jesse • Software Engineer • Graduate
    Overall, my experience at App Academy was 100% worth it. I decided to attend aA after taking a computer science course at college and realizing how much I enjoyed it. I was looking into coding bootcamps, and App Academy was recommended to me by a friend. After comparing the prep-work between other bootcamps and aA, it became obvious that App Academy's curriculum was far superior to the others - leading me to eventually choose it over the other options.

After the course, the practical material I learned and the depth to which I learned it allowed me to successfully complete a full stack onsite interview and land a position within 2 weeks of finishing aA. While this was not the norm, I believe that overall App Academy is a valuable asset to someone wishing to enter the field of software engineering. With hard work, it is quite difficult not to learn the material and, by the end, graduate with the ability to build a complete full stack application. The added bonus of the option to delay payment makes it pretty accessible as well.
  • Chelsea • Graduate
    a/A was an extremely demanding bootcamp (talking 90 hour weeks) but it was well worth it! I gained so much knowledge that I know I wouldn't be able to learn on my own over the same amount of time. Each day brought new curriculum to learn and there is homework every night that is required in order to be prepared for the next day's material. I knew some Python prior to attending, but almost all of my coding skills I learned at a/A. The instructors were former a/A students so they teach understanding the student's perspective and are always willing to help. You pair program every day which to me was great because I loved having the opportunity to work with all of my cohort mates. Towards the end of the bootcamp, you build a full stack clone of an app of your choice which is invaluable in terms of job searching.

All in all, a/A was certainly stressful at times but highly rewarding in terms of the knowledge and skills you gain. You have to be truly ready to commit 100% of your time (no joke) and have a passion for coding but if being a SWE is your dream like it is mine, you'll do just fine.
  • Great bootcamp
    Kevin Nguyen • Graduate
    I didn't know a coding bootcamp with be with satisfying. I think there was a lot to learn in a short amount of time but a lot of the course is based on how much extra time you put in. The course is very solid and extensive with great instructional information to go along with each topic. If you're willing to put in the work, it is definitely doable. I would highly recommend if you are on the fence about doing it.
    Ankit Patel • Graduate
    The program was a great opportunity to learn a new skill very quickly. I would not have been able to learn as much if I were to do so on my own. The TAs are there if you need them, but you will be doing most of the learning on your own. You will need to learn quickly and not doubt your skills.
  • App Academy
    Martin Stenflo • Graduate
    App Academy was one of the most challenging learning experiences of my life, it took all my time and dedication for 16 weeks. I did not think it was possible to truly learn software engineering in such a short amount of time, but we did. I feel very confident with the material and have a huge support network of former students, teaching assistants, and job coaches to help me succeed in this new line of work. I am so happy I chose App Academy and I highly recommend it to anyone that is up for the challenge, but be warned, it is HARD!