app-academy-logo

App Academy

Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (879) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (24) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

Start Date August 31, 2020
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    August 31, 2020 - New York City
    October 26, 2020 - New York City
    December 21, 2020 - New York City
    September 21, 2020 - San Francisco
    November 16, 2020 - San Francisco
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Start Date September 7, 2020
    Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    September 7, 2020 - Online
    October 5, 2020 - Online
    November 2, 2020 - Online
    November 30, 2020 - Online
  • Alex • Software Engineer • Graduate
    Pros:
    - Great instructors
    - Online program is very structured and in-depth
    - Intense but rewarding curriculum
    - Made many friends amongst my cohort :)

Cons:
    - Too much reading / homework sometimes (pacing could have been better)
    - A lot of changes to the curriculum and job search process
    - More solo projects / work time would have been nice (over 90% pair programming)
  • Software Engineer
    - 4/16/2020
    John • Software Engineer • Graduate
    The main benefit of going to App Academy is the rigor and accountability. You sign up for this bootcamp because you're ready to rock and super serious about getting a best-in-class curriculum to get your first engineering job.

I was afraid the online program wouldn't be as valuable or effective as the in-person, but I ended up being very challenged and happy with my result. Just a few months after graduating, I got a backend software engineer position at a big tech company with a great compensation package.

The TA's and instructor were super available and helpful throughout the program and my career coach was as hands on as I would like during the job search.

Cons: Would have preferred more data structures and algorithms material. For our job search, I would have liked more of a focus on quality of applications (like securing referrals) than viewing it as a numbers game. Also would have liked more solo projects instead of constant pair programming.

Pros: Really solid curriculum. I felt like I was a legit programmer after graduating. Was able to get to the final rounds with several reputable tech companies within the first few months of graduating. Really enjoyed the people. The intensity will up your game. The program attracts mostly high achievers.

**Crucial to remember** No bootcamp, including App Academy, will get you a job. You have to do the work. Even after you graduate, you have to keep practicing, studying, applying and interviewing. App Academy gave me an amazing foundation. The rest is up to you.
  • Gabriel Barrios • Integrations Engineer • Graduate
    TLDR:

Pros - great support network, great peers, great instructors, I got a job
    Cons - the curriculum can feel a bit messy at times, not enough alone time to absorb new material, the lectures can drag on, it costs nearly twice as much to attend under the deferred plan over the upfront plan

————————————————————————————————

I came to App Academy with zero experience in programming.  When I was in college, I always felt a pull toward taking computer science classes, but had managed to convince myself that it wasn't for me - after all, I have always been a humanities/arts person and, even if I made the switch at the time, there were so many younger, brighter people who had been at this for years whom I would always be trailing behind in this industry.  I found myself with some free time between projects at a moment when I was looking for a little more intellectual challenge in my daily life.  I came across a/A and figured it would be worth a shot.  I had the time, they had an online curriculum, and, in the worst case scenario, I’d have a new skillset without needing to pay for any of the training.

Fast forward 6 months of class time and 1.5 months of job searching and I am happy to say I am now working full time in the tech industry!

I appreciated the difficulty that a good portion of the admissions process posed.  I felt other bootcamps I was considering were too lenient in handing out acceptances, which made me very skeptical about their genuine interest in teaching me over adding my money to their pile.  I was glad I had to work for my spot, and I felt confident that the students I would be moving through this with would be equally motivated by the challenge.

One caveat is that their current admissions process does seem to have lightened up a bit - from what I understand, the online applicants no longer need to take a technical exam - I would push for applicants to investigate why this change happened and what steps a/A has taken to ensure they remain as selective as they’ve always been.

I would say an important thing to keep in mind is a/A does not train you to be a master programmer so much as it trains you to be an adaptable one.  I can say that the sheer volume of new material we covered in class has given me the confidence to tackle new challenges in my current job.  I’ve been lost before and have found a way out every time, and I have no doubt this will continue to be the case as the workload gets harder.

You can expect to spend as much time as they advertise per week (60-80 online, 80-100 in person), though this may vary quite a bit depending on your particular situation.  I struggled to adapt to the methodical approach to problem solving in tech, so I found myself often spending around 90 hours a week.

Additionally, the market is and always will be unpredictable.  An important thing to keep in mind is that the jobs search will be different for everybody.  I would emphasize that luck played a big role in my being able to land a job relatively quickly.  Regardless, the support system in place was critical for me.  A huge plus to this program was the care I received from my career coach.  While I can’t speak for how other coaches may have been, my coach in particular, Mark Rodriguez, was always willing to lend a helping hand whenever I ran into trouble, whether that was technical or emotional (job search can be quite a journey….).

Beyond this, I want to give a shout out to my TAs, Bryce Morgan and JM Riley, and my instructor Soon-Mi, all of whom were incredibly brilliant at breaking down technical concepts into a language that this art major could absorb.

As far as cons go, there were still some areas of the curriculum that I felt could use more work.  a/A is adaptable to market needs, which means the curriculum is often changed to match what employers are looking for.  The downside to this is some of the newer portions of the course can be rushed through (particularly the GraphQL and Docker portions of my cohort).

The pair programming was also a mixed bag for me.  My particular cohort involved pair programming every single day, and while I was very clearly able to see how much my ability to communicate technical concepts improved because of this, I do feel it sometimes came at the expense of actually learning the material.  I never wanted to be the partner slowing the other down, so I often found myself going with the flow rather than really trying to dig into something that confused me.  To be fair, my instructors made it a huge point to tell us to avoid exactly this.

Additionally, the lectures were not as hands on as I would have liked.  We had video lectures which were very thorough, but they sometimes spanned several hours with little time to actually test out the concepts before diving into the larger and more intimidating pair programming project for the day.  I would recommend a/A put some time into divvying up it’s lectures to allow students to briefly put the theory to practice and enhance absorption.  This would do wonders for the attention span, as well.

Finally, cost.  App Academy is not a cheap program by any means, particularly if you intend on opting for the deferred plan over the upfront plan.  This is not taking into account any additional expenses you might have as well (health, rent, childcare, credit card debt, etc.).  For that reason alone, I always urge people to grill their admissions team to ensure they know exactly what they are getting themselves into.  Make sure your goals align with what a/A may be able to provide you.  This is very much a long term commitment, stretching further than just the duration of your course.  To a/A’s credit, I will say that the finance team has been wonderful to work with so far.  I started my job as COVID-19 was ramping up, and they’ve been more than willing to postpone my repayment schedule in order to ensure I’m financially sound.

Overall, I’m very happy with the outcome of having attended a/A.  I finally got around to learning a skill I had spent so long dooming to the corner of maybe-one-days, and managed to get a job out of it.  It’s tough and it can sometimes be messy, but I would say the experience was worth it.
  • Albert Cheng • Graduate
    I finished the App Academy Online Program recently. Here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
    - Great technology selections. They did their research well, all the tech stacks they teach are very relevant to current tech job market.
    - Very tentative teaching environment. Instructors, TA's are all very responsive. You can always reach them and they are knowledgeable on the materials.
    - Great job search coaching. They set up your portfolio with tech relevant projects, help you with your resumé and interview questions. They also host job fairs from time to time.

Cons:
    - Slightly light on the academy side. They breezed through Data Structures and Algorithms and provided resources if individual wants to learn more. But to be fair, given the program's duration, there's not enough time to stuff everything in.
    - More team building activities with classmates would be ideal.
  • Eli Raybon • Full Stack Engineer • Graduate
    Coming from a non-traditional background as a musician with no college degree or work experience, App Academy seemed too good to be true. I'd always been interested in tech, but could a bootcamp really take me from nothing to software developer in 6 months? The answer is... Yes! BUT you have to be ready to put in a tremendous amount of passion, dedication, time, and effort. There's no magic secret to App Academy... It's just a lot of hard work. No one can learn to code for you, and no one can get a job for you... That's all on you! But App Academy provides you with all the tools and support you need, and it was a truly life changing experience for me.

The core curriculum (as it was when I attended) is incredible - I can't praise it enough. You don't just learn web development frameworks, you learn how they work under the hood. The TA's are always willing to help you when you run into issues, no matter how long it takes. And your fellow cohort mates will be fun to work with! A lot of students (including myself) were dubious of pair programming in the beginning... And although it's not perfect, the pros far outweigh the cons. Communicating your code to others is a make-or-break skill in the job search, and pair programming is a great  way to develop that skill. Some days of pairing will be better than others, but that's just life haha.

If you're worried about the workload, don't be. Well ok... maybe worry a little haha. App Academy will keep you busy all day, every day for the entirety of the program, weekends included. This is especially true if you're striving for a deep understanding of the material (which you should be!). But learning  software development is a fun and rewarding process, and although the workload was immense, I found it enjoyable. There will be times when you feel overwhelmed, but there's a strangely satisfying feeling that comes from being thrashed day after day after day haha. I think the most difficult part is the end of the course when you're building your own projects. I'm a perfectionist, so I put a lot of pressure on myself, and worked very long hours. I had no school or prior experience, so I knew my portfolio would be a critical part in showing off my abilities as a developer.

Once projects are completed, you will move into the job search, which is a completely different challenge. You have to balance sending out plenty of applications, preparing for interviews and continuing to learn and grow as a developer. You will be responsible for structuring your days and holding yourself accountable, and it's really easy to get lazy and unmotivated (I know I did), especially when your pipeline is empty. Also, don't expect your career coach to get you a job - there's only so much they can do. To give some detailed job search stats, I sent out a total of 333 applications, which resulted in 8 phone screens, 3 coding challenges, 2 on-sites, and 1 job. I was extremely fortunate.

All in all, App Academy was an amazing experience. However, it seems like App Academy is growing and changing, as all companies do. I can't say for certain if the experience of future cohorts will be the same as mine. I know the curriculum has been completely overhauled, and I'm not sure I would call it an improvement, based on what I've seen. It'll be up to you to decide if App Academy is the right choice, but I'm happy to say that it worked out very well for me, as well as many students before me. If you've made the decision to become a software engineer, App Academy is definitely worth consideration!
  • Ryan Woods • Graduate
    The App Academy Bootcamp is a great place to learn web development. In my opinion, the program was well paced and adequately priced. The instructors in my cohort were extremely helpful and went above and beyond to help answer questions outside of the direct curriculum. I think the program prepared me with the necessary skills to enter the job search, though the continued help and opportunities after graduating did not live up to my experience during the bootcamp. To be fair however, I entered the job search directly before the coronavirus outbreak happened so that is a contributing factor to the difference in experience between job search and bootcamp instruction.
  • Long McFarlin • Graduate
    It is definitely a very rewarding experience. I learned so much in this 6-month journey, which I don't think I could have done in a year if on my own. However, the program is not for everyone. I read lots of reviews like 'prepare to spend 80 hrs+ per week' before joining a/A, and I thought it was exaggerated. It was NOT. I think I ended up spending an average 90 hours per week. If I was not sleeping or eating, I was studying. I don't think I have ever done something like this in my life before, not even when preparing for the college entrance exam or GRE. Stay positive, take care of yourself and work really hard, that's how I made it through. If you are serious about changing your career, then give it a try!
  • Tristan Mockler • Graduate
    My experience at App Academy has been one of the most rewarding times of my life. The program can seem slightly overwhelming at times with the large amount of content. However, you'll be amazed by how much of the content you can retain. The instructors I've encountered at App Academy have been amazing and have really made the experience a 5-star one. Completing App Academy will make you confident in your ability to develop full-stack web applications, and also equip you with the ability to be comfortable pair programming with anyone. Highly recommend this program to anyone looking to make a career change.
  • David Odio • Student
    I just finished an online boot camp at AppAcademy and got awesome results too. It didn't just teach me the skills I now have but it also showed me the discipline needed to learn more on my own. Great place to be, and a great supportive community.
  • Yenisbel Valle • Graduate
    Thi is a 12-week bootcamp that teach everything from JavaScript to Ruby on Rails. With great TAs that support your journey and empower the path in Tech. The of App Academy graduates find jobs as software developers, and during this last step there is also support from a career coach!!
  • Tom B. • Graduate
    Just graduated today after 1000+ hours and so relieved to have made it through! It's easily the hardest thing I (and everyone else in my cohort) have ever done. More prepared to build real applications, code and answer higher level data structures / algorithm questions than my friends with CS degrees said they were when they started job searching. In fact a bunch of people in my cohort already had legit CS degrees. Only side-note is that I noticed a BIG difference in the general vibe of the program based on what instructors you get to work with. I switched from the SF cohort to Online when I found out I was having a baby (which they were very supportive of) and it was like a completely different bootcamp just because I got some over-the-top friendly instructors. Not a serious issue though because a/A's written and video resources are fantastic, and all the instructors are super capable engineers that can help you track down and conceptually understand any bug you hit in your code. Other side note, I strongly recommend dabbling through one or two Udemy courses before starting a/A though if you literally have no coding experience (I did the first half of Colt Steele's Web Dev Bootcamp, loved it). Not because you necessarily have to, but it'll make a/A more fun and less stressful. That said, my BFF from the program had zero coding experience and was working at Home Depot before doing a/A. He breezed through so yeah, no previous coding experience necessary is not a lie. And I absolutely love my career coach so far, honestly the job search curriculum and post-graduation support alone would make the financial commitment worth it in my opinion.

TLDR – After watching me go through app academy my wife wants to try to get in to the program to facilitate her own career switch (for whatever that's worth). I was an art teacher 6 months ago, if I can do this anyone can! But I never would have learned this much this fast without a/A.
  • Cindy K
    This program was intense and was extremely difficult for me in the beginning. However, it is such a rewarding experience and I am glad I decided to push through and I'm proud of my projects. The instructors were great and helpful, and they teach you a lot of useful tips.