app-academy-logo

App Academy

Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (878) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (24) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

Start Date August 31, 2020
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    August 31, 2020 - New York City
    October 26, 2020 - New York City
    December 21, 2020 - New York City
    September 21, 2020 - San Francisco
    November 16, 2020 - San Francisco
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Start Date September 7, 2020
    Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    September 7, 2020 - Online
    October 5, 2020 - Online
    November 2, 2020 - Online
    November 30, 2020 - Online
  • Julia  User Photo
    Julia • Interactive Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

App Academy is super tough -- but also super effective. I graduated in April 2016 and landed my first dev job in under a month.

The pros: This course really goes in-depth. I had taken a lot of classes before (introductory classes to one language or another, some online tutorials to front-end, etc) but anything that dove into the real nuts and bolts of how websites and apps go together left me with more questions than answers. App Academy forces you to dig into the subject matter and come out with the tools to move forward. You'll be surrounded by people as passionate about learning as you are, and the TAs are always on-hand to get you past whatever is blocking your understanding. If you can graduate from a/A, you can get a job in development (and succeed in it!)

The cons:  This course is not a fun time. App Academy is grueling and, frankly, pretty miserable most of the time. If doing all code every day sounds like a negative, this might not be the course for you. If you aren't excited enough about code to put your life on hold for 12 weeks, you should probably look for a different bootcamp. Most people have to put in a lot of hours to keep up with the curriculum, and if you fall behind -- you're out.

That being said: if you aren't discouraged by the workload -- go for it. The curriculum is rock-solid, the instructors are committed to helping you succeed, and the statistics are there to prove it. The fact that I only had to pay after getting hired made this bootcamp affordable for me when others weren't, and the job-hunting portion of the curriculum is thorough and effective. If you're looking to change your career path and can take 12 weeks to do nothing but write code (and I do mean nothing), this is a sure bet.

• Zhuoli  User Photo
    Zhuoli • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I immigrated from China to US recently and I was thinking make a choice between a regular CS degree and App academy from one of my friends' suggestion. App academy gives me an opportunity that I never could have in China to pursue my passion in programming and now I am working in the field I love.
    It is best learning experience I have ever had. The TAs are very helpful and knowledgable and the students are very smart that I learned a lot from the people I worked with.

• Mai Van Wagner • Graduate
    Coming here from another country, learning English and Programming languages at once is definitely a tough journey for me.  It took me  a  very long time to figure out which program/bootcamp is suitable for me. I was trying to learn how to code with a bunch of schools however App Academy gave me the best self learning experience. I love the curriculum, high quality videos,  the way teachers convey the lecture and support students and how selective App Academy is. Especailly, I WAS TAUGHT TECHNICAL SKILLS (PROGRAMMING) IN PLAIN ENGLISH. Amazing tutors/teams and great curriculumn from App Academy helped me to make my dream come true.  Within 6 intensed months learning with App Academy, I turned into a new leaf: from a person who knows nothing became a software engineer. I had been learning and sharpening a lots of both technical  skills (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PyThon, Node.js, SQL...) and non-techinal skills such as how to write an attractive resume, cover letter, negotiate when I get a job offer, and so forth.
    I highly recommend you going with App Academy.
  • Drew • Graduate
    App Academy is very demanding, but you'll stop to think about all the things you learned in 6 months and be proud. The curriculum I went through was for Javascript and Python, and using React and Flask frameworks, but they teach you how to get there all the way from the basics of printing out hello world.

Benefits:
    * The latter half of the program teaches the frameworks mentioned above alongside building projects with those frameworks to populate a portfolio on your resume. I was delighted to find that they tackle every aspect of the job search process, since I had effectively no portfolio before a/A.
    * Schedule includes weeks to focus entirely on projects and gain skills working on a team, as well as 'half-and-half' weeks to do solo projects and resume crafting, and of course many more weeks spent on new concepts.
    * Schedule is very flexible, and instruction team is fair. Assessments may be curved or re-evaluated based on the cohort.
    * Every member of app academy (that I interacted with) takes responsibility if something is wrong or needs clarification, fixing, or more time. I don't remember anyone being unapproachable.
    Criticisms:
    * When students get deferred to another cohort, they simply disappear. I understand it may be embarrassing to defer (although it shouldn't be - life happens, you need more time, it didn't click), but just silently removing them might not be the best solution. I felt the cohort steadily shrinking as people left, and became increasingly stressed that it would happen to me, since we were the first cohort of the year and the students ahead of us had different curriculum and couldn't join us. Most other cohorts will not be in this situation, though, as they will have new students join.
    * The 24 week pace isn't as consistent as I'd like. The first 4 weeks are essentially just making sure you passed the free online intro to programming course that they offer, or getting you up to speed if you didn't. It very quickly ramps up, and some weeks have very difficult assessments while other weeks see a class average of 100%. I understand some material is very hard to assess, though - such as learning a new framework or database, where it is more trivia than anything else.

Final jurisdiction:
    I had graduated from uni without much of a portfolio, and without the ability to pass coding interviews despite my degree. In my opinion, the curriculum should be a little more polished and probably focus more on algorithms and react (the most important, most recurring subjects). As for me, I don't regret my time spent here at all, and I got a lot out of it.

- Drew
  • so glad i did a/A
    - 7/24/2020
    stefani echeverria • Graduate

Honestly, I was convinced at the beginning that App Academy wasn’t for me. I’m a weirdo-artsy Latina with a ton of family commitments and chronic illness/disabilities that I knew would make the “valorization of working 90 hours a week” bootcamp model a huge challenge for me.  I contemplated dropping out from the very first week, because without a technical background and with a glitching computer I wouldn’t afford to upgrade, I felt like the “hot mess” of the class. Coding definitely doesn’t come naturally to me— every exam was a struggle because of my anxiety issues.

Given all of this, I never expected that I would graduate this program feeling so proud and glad I stuck with it, and feeling so passionate about coding now! My TAs were incredibly supportive and there for me even as I had way more questions than it felt the average student had, and they spent hours of their time outside of formal class time to help me with material, give me pep talks, and just in general didn’t view me as an expendable number in a cutthroat environment the way I worried doing an intensive bootcamp would be like. One of my good friends died in the middle of my doing this bootcamp, and I never could have kept going to graduation if instructors and fellow students hadn’t been there for me on both a human and a programming level so consistently.

I reveal all this info about myself because there are tons of reviews that talk about the curriculum, specifics of the frameworks they use, etc. I wanted my review to speak to someone who might be reading this and see themselves in my description of myself— not sure they can fit in in the coding/techie world, or handle a high intensity bootcamp. I won’t sugarcoat what a challenge a/A was, but I am SO, SO grateful I stuck with it, and definitely recommend App Academy, its instructors, and its community vibe that was so welcoming to this anxious new programmer! App academy’s material is really well structured too, so I feel like I’m in a good position to keep learning and improving my skills along multiple axes with all the material being a student gives you access to forever. Excited to keep learning forever :)
  • Ahmad Alqadhy • Graduate
    I will start with the obvious: App Academy is a very rigorous bootcamp and a huge commitment both physically and mentally. But with that comes a valuable education that really carries the name.
    The Pros: App Academy has a thoroughly developed curriculum, so you can rest assured knowing that you are receiving an education that would reflect highly in the job market. It's also structured in a way that is easy to follow, starting with basic coding projects like finding prime numbers in an array and ending with building full stack web apps. When I finished the program I truly walked away feeling like a full pledged software engineer. It may seem hard at times (it will definitely seem hard at times) but you have to trust the process.
    The Cons: We spent the first half of the cohort learning how to code, which in essence was finding a prime number and doing the fibonacci sequence in a hundred different ways. And then the second half ways Rails/JavaScript/React/Redux/MERN. It would have definitely been nicer if the curriculum was divided up in a better way because the concepts in the latter half are definitely more valuable but much less stressed and taught. Also, going into this I thought App Academy helps you find a job. But in truth, you're, pretty much on your own there too through hundreds and hundreds of applications. They don't have an actual job placement thing as some reviews have suggested.

All in all, App Academy does deserve recognition for being a top tier bootcamp, but your success is really in your own hands.

• Ben • Software Engineer • Graduate
    Overall, I had a great and rewarding experience at App Academy. They do not exaggerate the amount of work required to complete the course (often between 70 and 90 hrs a week), and the new material just does not stop coming. That said, a/A and particularly the instructors clearly want all the students to succeed, and the readings, homework, projects and lectures are all geared to make sure you hit the necessary benchmarks during the course. The general structure of regular assessments with severe consequences (can lead to being kicked out of the course) adds a significant amount of stress for students. While I understand the reasoning for this from App Academy's perspective, and believe that it is an overall positive, it can lead to a sense at points that instructors are "teaching to the test".

While the pace of the bootcamp is very rapid, the structure of the course materials and projects means that you'll end up working over the same concepts multiple times after their initial introduction, the end result of which is that App Academy will teach you a huge amount of skills in a relatively short period of time.

My cohort at App Academy was originally intended to be in person, but ended up being entirely remote due to COVID-19. I don't believe this had a large impact on the skills I've learned in the course, and the instructional team did a great job of adapting to a life on Zoom for the duration of the course. That said, you definitely lose a lot of the social aspects of an intensive bootcamp with the remote setup.

Finally, I'm just entering the job search currently, so can't speak much to the support App Academy will provide during this period.  The job search material covered has been helpful and informative, but this final portion of the curriculum has felt more disorganized and has not inspired the confidence in this transition to job hunting that I had hoped for given the way the majority of the bootcamp was run.

Overall, if you are looking to jump start a career as a software engineer, I would absolutely recommend App Academy -- just make sure that your expectations for workload and result are set correctly.
  • A good experience
    - 7/24/2020
    Khai Yuan Liew • Graduate
    Be prepared to spend up to 90+ hours because App Academy is a very rigorous course because if you don't, you will struggle a lot.

You expected to read/learn material ahead of the next day, so that you are able to do the projects. They also have assessments that you are expected to study, which if you fail twice, you will be asked to leave the course. However, they do provide a lot of material to prepare, so as long as you study the material, you should be able to pass all the assessment.

Once all of the assessments all done, you get to make your own websites using what you have learn over the course. The course does a good job teaching you how to apply these skills on your own project, so the course does pay off once you reach to this part of the course.

Although App Academy is a pretty great course, I feel like some parts of course should be expanded upon as I felt like they were just barely a footnote.

Overall, as you long as you are willing to commit your time to start a career on software engineering, I would recommend you join App Academy.
  • Ben G • Student

App Academy is an incredibly rigorous, full-time software engineering bootcamp which will challenge you to get projects done you never would have dreamed of before. Each day begins with a structured lesson and then everyone diverges into pair programming. The program really emphasizes pair programming, where every 15 minutes you and your randomly assigned partner switch between a driver and a navigator role. I found this technique to not always be conducive to my learning when I was working with someone of a different ability. This was often a strength, though, as it forces you to explain difficult concepts to someone who might not have understood the material as well as you.
    The amount that you learn in the 16 weeks is pretty staggering. When you enter the program you are expected to solve some pretty basic algorithms, but upon leaving, you are completely ready to develop your own full-stack web application. The program was initially slated to begin in person and we were one of the first cohorts to go through completely online. The course took place over Zoom, and I think that the staff did a very good job of replicating what it would be like to be in person. The Zoom room was open 24/7, giving a space to meet with your peers after hours.
    Overall I had a really good experience with the program, but there are definitely a few things that are covered briefly or barely touched upon that I will need to independently learn after my time here. I'm about to begin my job search, and although I’m scared to apply my new skills in the real world, I believe that App Academy gave me a good foundation for what it will take.
  • App Academy
    - 7/20/2020
    Mohamed Sanaany • Graduate
    My time at App Academy was overall very pleasant. My instructors were amazing. They were really chill, knowledgeable, and their support is one of the things I will always speak highly of. I was hoping to do that Bootcamp in person, but the experience of doing it fully remote was also amazing. Overall, if I went back in time, I'd still do it all over again. I had such an amazing experience and would recommend App Academy based off of that. It's hard of course but worth it.
  • Abdullah Wafy • Aspiring Software Engineer • Graduate
    *Your one-stop for the all the facts as of 2020*
    The pros of App Academy are:
    - Only students that can withstand the initial rigor will be accepted (a/A claims about 4-5% acceptance rate).
    - There are many many success stories after graduation (a/A claims about 90-95% job placement rate).
    - They actually provide real career coaching and job seeking guidance and it's part of the curriculum as opposed to being something optional.
    - Their ISA or Income Share Agreement is a 100% winner, which means you don't pay upfront until after you get a Software Engineering job making at least over $50,000 and even then you pay them back in reasonable payment installments over the next 3 years.
    - They have an online full-time program available so it's remote and flexible besides their in-person programs in SF and NY.
    - Their culture and environment is inclusive and diverse and they allow for daily feedback, reports, and criticisms.
    - You get to learn JavaScript, React, Node.js, Express, SQL, Python and Flask for the online curriculum.
    - You get to make some good connections with some good instructors and some good career coaches.
    - Their daily and entire structure, discipline and testing is both intense, demanding which is beneficial to keep you focused and on-track and yet surprisingly flexible for the online program. You have freedom to breathe and structure yourself as well.
    - It is arguably the # 1 coding bootcamp -- according to stats by a/A) -- and for the reasons I mentioned above.
    The cons of App Academy are:
    - If you opt for the ISA then you do have to pay them back $31,000 total at the most, which is definitely overpriced (but with a SWE or Software Engineer's salary it is easy to pay off I guess).
    - As of 2020 for the online program, the curriculum needs serious revising and oversight. In the readings, there are numerous typos, grammatical errors, misleading statements that confuse the amateur, and also inaccurate coding instructions in projects that derail students and waste a lot of precious time. There are usually better outside sources that teach the same topic better. It is not exactly the same curriculum as their successful in-person curriculum model at SF and NY. Throughout the 6 months of the online full-time course, they were slow to revise, update, change, correct video, reading, exercises material and resources.
    - Not all of their instructors and career coaches are competent for the job (at least for the online program I attended). Some lack in expertise of subject-matter. Those that are proficient in subject matter are either deficient in teaching skills or completely do not know how to teach effectively (this is coming from a former teacher at all levels and a world-class curriculum developer). Their hiring team is questionable since they are behind hiring their TAs, instructors and coaches for the reasons just stated.
    - They do not offer an official piece of paper (if that matters to anyone) such as a diploma, certificate as-of-to-date. I'm also not sure about academic credits, you should ask them. They might incorporate this in the future.
    - You will not at all be ready when you graduate (if you are coming from a non-CS and non-tech background). You have to put in the smart and hard work and discipline yourself after graduation for a few more months to reach a level of adequacy as a Web Developer/Coder (let alone a Software Engineer). Going through the program will not do that for you (again if you are coming from a non-CS and non-tech background). I feel like this definitely could be remedied with better curriculum development (emphasis on depth of knowledge rather than breadth like replacing the time and effort to learn some extraneous techs with more emphasis on constructing more projects and polishing them up and learning one tech stack really well since the rest can be self-taught) and to get a better hiring team to get real teachers in there, but alas! My valuable counsel has been ignored as far as I'm concerned.
    - You will have to pay them back even if you don't land a coding/web development/software engineering job with the conditions above.
    - The language in their legal contract before you are accepted is extremely skewed in their favor and oppressive, so if enough students voice their concerns and demand slight changes this will be better in terms of fairness.
  • Isaac Yoon
    The curriculum at App Academy is well designed, offering repeated exposure to the same concept in different ways. So if you don't understand it the first time, you'll get it the second. It also challenges the student to think deeply about the subject material, imparting a deep level of understanding of not just coding but computer science concepts.

With that being said, I think their online materials/readings needs definite improvement, as some of the material is outdated and written poorly. Their job search curriculum seems to be very good (I will update this review upon finding a job). Just be sure to read ALL the fine print closely because there are some nuances to their pricing model and certain rules must be followed.

Also, they only offered a $100 "gift" when they switched the entire in-person cohort to remote instruction due to coronavirus. They should have offered more, as some people paid upfront for an in-person experience.