app-academy-logo

App Academy

Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle

App Academy

App Academy is an immersive 12-week Ruby-focused web development course with campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy has a full stack curriculum covering Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based upon a hands-on approach; students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete 2 coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in AppAcademy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy's job search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview focused skill sets. Upon graduation, students will have a portfolio of real-world projects to show to prospective employers. App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. Students are only required to pay a placement fee if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy also has two other pricing models for students — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.7

all (665) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (25) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over twelve weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $500 will be required.
    Tuition Plans$20,000 Upfront Plan $27,000 Hybrid Plan ($10k upfront, $17k deferred) $30,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $500 deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.

• $500 App Academy Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive App Academy scholarship for $500 off tuition!

Offer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship.

• In-Person Full Stack Web Development (San Francisco)
    • In-Person Full Stack Web Development (New York City)

• Garrett Simpson • Javascript Engineer • Graduate

Word of caution -- I came in already knowing the basics of html, css, ruby, and rails. I also got a job 3 weeks after finishing, first in my cohort. These are not typical stats -- usually about half of a cohort has an offer after three months. But the course material is on point, and if you put your head down and grind for three months, you will get into the software industry, and App Academy will give you the tools to do so.

When I was conducting my search for bootcamps - One thing I did not see alot of were reviews by students that might have not completed the course (like myself).  Esentially anybody who made it through any boot camp gave the course 5 stars just about every time.  I'm writing this review for the persons who want to make the investment but are also beginners.

App Academy says that anybody can be a software engineer and I do believe that is true.  What is important to keep in mind if you are a beginner though, is if your wanting to learn can keep up with the pace you will be required to learn.  I got into the program because I am dedicated, I studied my butt off and I am absolutely passionate about web dev and that showed in my interview process and during my code tests (the entry tests are not very hard at all - If you could handle medium level coderbyte problems you will be more than prepared).

I feel the biggest issue for a person that is completely new to the field of web dev and starts to learn on their own is which way to go and what to study. I prepped for app academy strictly by solving problems that would help me pass the entry tests - however doing that is only the very tip of the tip of the smallest tip of the iceberg once you actually get in.  The tests to get in are like easy crawls but the work immediately becomes a marathon sprint from there.

I will repeat this again, if you are just about a complete newbie,  the prep work can be a bit overwhelming and once the classes start, if you are  still struggling with the basics you will be in trouble very early.  You will need to build games every day with a partner and not being comfortable with the foundations can lead to some uncomfortable pair programming where you might defer nearly all the code ideas to your partner.  I struggled in this manner and while my partners were helpful - not having a solid foundation will kill you in the course because the challenges are a bit harder every single day.  I will also say that at least in my short time there, a good amount of students had some type of comp sci background or at least programmed in some capacity in their jobs or schools.  Being a complete beginner isnt a dealbreaker but I cannot stress enough that feeling secure in the foundations is very important.

a/A is very performance based so flunking two assessments will get you kicked out.  I didn't make it through the course because I couldnt keep up with that pace.  Did I decide to quit web dev? Absolutely not - everybody falls and you have to get back up and try again - a/A was also very helpful at the end of the day when my time terminated.

If I had to begin the process over, i'd say it's incredibly important to understand the preparatory materials as well as possible at the onset. You cannot go in and expect people to hold your hand because the pace of work is very very fast. I'd also say that you should not be afraid to ask questions if you need help. Lastly you need to assess your ability to process information. If you need longer time to grasp things, you might need to consider whether boot camp is the right move for you.  It was unfortunate to not finish a/A but I am happy for the experience because it has tested my resolve to march on and I expect to work in web dev soon enough - if not in 3 months :)

• Anonymous • Web Developer (yay) • Graduate

Bear in mind this is hailing from the personal perspective of a student who felt somewhat out of place at App Academy. Pretty much everything that you read up on App Academy is true, and so your general expectations of the course will be met. For me, the below things weren't what I expected going into the course. Also, some of these are more encompassing and not specific to App Academy.

-Pair programming (and this is true of probably of all the bootcamps that use pair programming): there's a natural human dynamic that comes into play when pair programming, and that dynamic is going to vary tremendously based on personality. In general, if you are outgoing, patient, and a fast coder, then you will probably breeze right through pair programming; however, most people don't have the full combination of those qualities, so for example, if a fast but impatient coder--who just wants to finish the project--is paired up with a slower programmer, the slower programmer can have a rough time. As a slower programmer myself, I experienced this often (but had great experiences as well with a few partners who were willing to lessen the pace and actually collaborate). And for these days, I often felt like I learned next to nothing, and that was exceedingly frustrating. The frustration dragged me down mentally, and my attitude totally shifted, even though the vast majority of App Academites improved at their "teamwork" and collaborative abilities through the duration of the course. Needless to say, I didn't particularly enjoy my time there socially (I take responsibility for this though). But if you're the kind of person who can weather these sorts of things and keep your head up, then don't worry.

-Fast learning and raw logical-thinking speed: tying in with my previous point, I'm not that fast of a learner (more of a deep learner), and I get super nervous when I'm trying to think with a pair programming partner right next to me waiting and often interjecting with comments or ideas. These things dampened my performance and experience a lot.

-The general "techy" culture: now, I've only recently been in tech, but there's a certain techy culture (or maybe it's just NYC) that I realized doesn't really suit my particular personality. Tech is dominated heavily by the "TJ" type by myers-briggs classification. I am not a "TJ", and in a working environment, I'm still learning how to work with them.

-The TA teaching: I wish there were more one-on-one instruction. The vast majority of your time will be spent coding, and I'd venture to guess that each day, each student interacts with the TA maybe a maximum of 5 times? This may be wildly off, but understand that coding is a primarily self-driven activity, and questions shouldn't be asked until you've thoroughly researched something yourself, so in reality TA's are there to help you through your most pressing issues. This is extremely valuable and necessary, but it felt weird to be spending just 5-10% (again a rough estimate) actually interacting with TA's.

In general, from what I've observed, App Academy students have an awesome time there. Though overworked and mentally drained, they bond closely and learn from each other. App Academy is definitely a fantastic choice for a bootcamp, and you can't go wrong with it. Hopefully, the issues that I had will help you in preparing for App Academy.

• Anonymous • Senior Software Engineer • Graduate

For 26 years prior to App Academy I held a latent disdain for my generic fellow man because he was just dumb and me discussing the truth with him would probably offend or shock him.

App Academy is the only time in my life where I've felt legitimately overmatched and fighting for my life.  Where I felt dumber and seriously fighting to just stay there.  Every day I had to decide to get up and fucking fight and even then I lost a lot.

The best thing about App Academy is not the curriculum.  It is the opportunity to spend time with the humble folks with whom you will be walking on coals.  I have poor character so I had to cheat to not get expelled, but now 9 months removed I am making $130k/year and my superior colleagues are surely making more.  Don't cheat though.

If you are driven, you should quit your job, then get the curriculum from an alum and devote 80 hours per week to the correct delivery of their daily exercises.  This can save you a lot of money.

Try get a job by applying with scripts.  Their job search is way too manual of a process for people who just learned to try to automate everything.

App Academy gets the best people because they charge nothing up front.  Don't settle for a lesser school that just wants your money and kicks you on your way.  App Academy does not get paid until you get employed, AND they only get max money if you get $100k.

• Are you prepared?
    - 8/21/2015
    Eric • Web Developer • Graduate

The time at App Academy was a HORRIBLE experience, BUT WAIT! before I continue I just want to say, I graduated App Academy and got a job as a developer immediately. So to continure with this review, I will continue to that getting through App Academy was literally the hardest thing I have ever done in life. I went through engineering school as an undergrad and never have I been through more stress and worked harder for anything. Although this is coming from someone with absolutely no coding experience before app academy so some of my cohort mates had it much easier than I did. But anyways, after it was all over, I must declare it to be the BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE. I was so amazed at how much I was able to learn in just a little bit of time. App Academy gave me everything I needed to start my first job as a web developer. It actually gave me confidence in myself after I saw how much knowledge I was able to gain so quickly, which is something college never did for me. So, to anyone looking to apply, study hard! because they are hard to get an acceptance from, and prepare to work hard. How ever hard you worked to prepare for the interview process, be prepared to work 50 times as hard once you're in.

p.s. Jonathan, the instructor at NYC is an awesome teacher. I don't know about SF but I would recommend the NYC office just because Jonathan was such a good instructor and he really knew how to help with all the issues you might have, and make the learning more interesting and fun for everyone.

• Sarah M • DevOps Engineer • Graduate

If you do not like to work hard, then you should not attend this bootcamp. My cohort put in the 80-90 hours per week. Other bootcamps offer services like counseling, group exercise, and off-topic workshops. App Academy is not like that. It is a no-frills immersive program.

HOWEVER, if you are prepared to earn your stripes, then this is the best bootcamp around. It's thorough and hands-on. Honestly, their business model says it all. You owe no tuition unless you get a job, and the amount that you pay them is based on your starting salary.

The curricumlum has changed since I participated in the program, but it involves Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, HTML5/CSS and algorithms (which is prep for whiteboard interviews). You pair with another student, and you're basically doing a new lab every day. When I started the program, I barely knew how to use my command line. By the end of the program, I had completed a dozen (barebones) apps, including a solo capstone project.

While I stand by the fact that this place will kick your ass, Jonathan is the most nuturing instructor one could ever dream of. He pours his heart into his work and each of his students. He wants you to succeed. While you spend most of your classroom hours working with another student, the TAs and Jonathan are always available to help get you un-stuck.

As far as job placement, App Academy grads work at impressive companies, like Google, Pivotal, Thoughbot, Groupon, etc. Alum (including myself) attend hiring day for recruiting purposes. Companies in the city are 'repeat customers', hiring grads from a/A when they need new devs. There's also a mailing list for alum, so the cohorts continue to support each other even after graduation.

Bottom line - this program works.  Whether you decide to become a dev or take the ops route like I did, App Academy will prepare you for a career in the tech world.

• Andre • Agile QA Engineer, Intent Media • Graduate

Positives:

-Their claimed information about percent of students placed and average salaries is absolutely right, even though it sounds too good to be true.

-You are not charged money up front, except for a $3,000 deposit. This distinguishes App Academy from most other programs, and it's much better to pay money when you have it than before you have it. This makes AA inherently more accessible to students with less of a financial cushion than some other programs.

-Jonathan (instructor in NYC) really knows what he's doing and is a very compassionate person.

-The students are quite intelligent and motivated.

Negatives:

-High-stakes weekly assessments with sometimes unclear information about consequences; makes the program somewhat more stressful than necessary. Also, some of the assessments are spelled out in advance too much, which favors type-A over-studiers over people really trying to understand the concepts. That said, nobody was actually kicked out in my group.

-At least in NYC, App Academy doesn't seem to be marketed as well, or have as many deep connections to employers, as some other bootcamps. Placement outcomes seem to still be good despite this.

-I felt like half of the advice I got about jobs seems wrong to me now that I know the industry better. Maybe it's overly tailored at SF?

-Application process is sketchy. Founder Kush Patel seems to have shown up late for pretty much everybody's interviews (mine included), and many people report being unnecessarily intimidated by his personality. They should probably get somebody else to handle this process. Also, the public-facing website being way out of date doesn't help.

-Sometimes felt like cramming lots of fancy technologies into a short period of time was valued more than building resilient products with the user in mind, and this sometimes shows in students' finished work (i.e. "let me tell you about my fancy AJAX thing! No, don't try that feature, you'll break it. Just let me demonstrate. Anyway, about that AJAX thing...) This may be a problem with pretty much every bootcamp.

-It would be nice if there were no $3,000 deposit; this would make App Academy really be able to brag about its no-strings-attached $0 upfront price and really distinguish itself from competitors.

Overall, despite the above rants, this is an excellent choice for a cash-strapped career changer (or even a non-cash-strapped career changer). It definitely got the job done.

It was great. You have to understand that you are going to be working your ass off, but if you come to learn every day, you're going to get a lot out of the experience.

There is a test every week (basically). The tests are completely passable, given that they give you sample tests and tons of learning resources, but be prepared to stress a little over those (fail 2 and they may ask you to leave).

It's not in the best of areas (near Civic Center on market), but the computers are great for pairing and what do you really need other than that?

Instructors were great. The TAs are the best of past cohorts and are very bright and knowledgable. Ned is crazy good at explaining concepts, using examples to help with his demonstrations.

They do have a live in option for out of towners since finding a place in SF can be extremely difficult and expensive. I didn't do this, but the people who did seemed to be ok with it.

Great job searching tool and prep, lots of white board problems, and comraderie with other students who are going through the same job search struggle.

Perhaps one of the best aspects is once you graduate, you still get access to the Github resources, which are constantly being updated.

Overall, come ready to work extremely hard, and you'll get a job in no time.

• Anonymous • Web Developer • Graduate

The App Academy was great. I was trying to teach myself web development on my own and was at a job that paid well but was miserable. I thought I'd come out of the App Academy with a better job that maybe paid the same or less.  Ended up getting a big raise.

I partially credit that to the fact that a/A gets paid based on your first year's salary. It's in their best interest to get you the highest paying job possible. Because of that, they helped me with job hunting strategy, putting together a portfolio, and ended up giving me negotiation help as the negiotiations for my job were happening. Just that last bit ended up being worth about $5k a year for me.

App Academy is intense and you need to be willing to commit fully to it. Not just quitting your other job, but also all other obligations and commitments. But when you pay that much for something, it should be easy to commit.

Money aside, it's a great school and I recommend it. I had 8 interviews in my first week out of school. I'm almost 5 months into my new job and it's awesome.

• Nick Hong • Software Engineer • Graduate

TL;DR: App Academy is an extremely fast-paced deep dive intro for Ruby on Rails and Backbone.js. It's good for students who can drop everything to find junior developer positions.

I went through the App Academy bootcamp over a year ago.

Deeper dive:

• AA has very strong batches: Since AA is free until after you find a job, the application pool is huge and the selection pretty rigorous (I think the acceptance rate is < 5%). This means AA places you with with really strong batch mates and designs a curriculum that challenges you.
      • Pros: You work with smart people. You mostly pair with peopel you can depend on to work at a quick pace and swap learnings and coding patterns with.
      • Cons: You might have a hard time getting in. I know people who have applied and been accepted into multiple bootcamps but were turned down by AA. Make sure you really study Ruby on codeacademy.com, coderbyte.com, rubykoans.com, etc. AA will give you a similar list nof resources when you apply before you do your coding interview.
    • AA is extremely fast-paced: You're forced to learn a lot and are tested weekly on your progress. They know you're smart and design a curriculum assuming that will make your head hurt.
      • Pros: You're really challenged. The course load and pace reminded me of the 'drink from the firehose' feeling I had in some of the harder courses I took while at MIT. You'll learn a ton if you apply yourself 100%.
      • Cons: The  pace was too quick for some - we ended up having to drop a few classmates that couldn't keep up and productively pair with us. There's a weekly test that can be difficult, and students were dropped if they failed 3 assessments in a row. This makes sense - you don't want to pair with someone way behind on material, as it would hamper your own learning. Still, don't attempt AA unless you can really commit your time to pairing during the day and studying at night and over the weekend.
    • AA emphasises on working through problems: We were given the entire day to work through problems, with solutions made available only after a full 8-10 hours of work put in.
      • Pros: We learned what we covered much better than if we had a quicker, more guided approach. Since we were forced to experiment and reason through problems with less structured guidance, we all learned how to read error logs, use Chrome's web inspector for inspecting DOM / inspecting network requests / using the javascript console / tail and grep server logs better than most other bootcamp students I've interviewed since graduating.
      • Cons: We covered fewer overall algorithms and patterns. Example - I only learned the Rails conventional AJAX form method using remote: true at work. However, I had a pretty good understanding of making AJAX calls from in-class experimentation, so picking up the remote: true method wasn't too difficult.
    • AA emphasises on deep dives and web basics: We were taught Ruby extensively before we learned any Rails. We built a rudimentary version of ActiveRecord::Base ourselves, forcing ourselves to learn a lot of Ruby metaprogramming while we were at it, before really using ActiveRecord extensively. We did something similar with Backbone.js - we built our own simple version using basic arrays and understanding of Javascript / AJAX  before diving in with Backbone.js in projects.
      • Pros: This approach taught away the 'magic' in lots of the libraries we were using and made debugging complicated issues easier, since we had a more intuitive feel for what was happening under the hood.
      • Cons: We learned fewer libraries and covered their actual implementation/documentation in less depth. This made us read documentation on our own time for our more extensive final projects.

Perhaps the most important point is that I'm very happily employed now with the same company I started with immediately after AA (www.therealreal.com). So is a fellow batch mate - we work on standing desks right next to each other 18 months after having first paired together. We're both valued contributors with an above-average salary and are still learning constantly from more experienced developers. Both of us think AA really helps set of promising careers in web development / software engineering.

• It works!
    - 11/6/2019
    Anonymous • Associate Software Engineer • Graduate

I can attest that App Academy works: I went in knowing only what I dimly remembered from intro comp sci back in college, and I’m about to start my first job as a software engineer.

I’d say the greatest strengths of the program are the challenge, the support, and the accountability. The principal three-month curriculum is incredibly intense—expect 60-hour weeks at absolute minimum—but it takes you through the skills and concepts you need to know and forces you to put in the necessary work to really learn them. The instructors and TAs, though they can occasionally be overwhelmed (many are graduates of the course), are always on hand to offer helpful feedback that’s often critical to bringing together your understanding of a concept. It’s all about putting you in a structure that incentivizes you to actually put in the work, and this continues even after graduation, as you get individualized coaching and reporting tools that make sure you regularly apply to jobs and continue working on projects and coding challenges. This is especially valuable because the job search can take time—around three months in my case—and you’ll absolutely have more to learn after you graduate. Twelve weeks can’t cover every nuance of software engineering.

As far as downsides, the instruction is sometimes shaky, as I said above, though years in business have polished the curriculum to the point where you’ll usually have pre-prepared resources to help you out if worst comes to worst. Your continued participation in the course depends on you passing the regular assessments, which is a major source of stress even if you have a handle on the material and prepare well. The assessments themselves also can feel more like tests of memorization than genuine reflections of how much you’ve learned. Last but not least, despite App Academy’s stated (and admirable) goal of bringing people from more diverse backgrounds into the tech industry, most of the classes seem to be overwhelmingly male, even more so than the industry as a whole. That won’t be an issue for everybody, but it’s worth mentioning.

Still, I have no regrets. It was an extremely valuable learning experience for me and, obviously, it got me a job.

It's very grueling, but at the end of the day, I think that it is worth it. I cannot tell about job outcomes as I am just starting my job search, nevertheless, it does seem promising. But one thing that I would investigate is whether it is a better fit for you to learn Ruby or Python for the backend, as Ruby is what is taught here. Regardless, I think that the skillset that you gain here will allow you to switch between languages and frameworks fairly easily.

• Overall good
    - 10/11/2019

Pretty intense course. You will learn a lot from App Academy. I Just want to complain that they make us come back after graduation which was not expected

• Unique Experience
    - 10/10/2019

App Academy is often described as drinking from a fire hose in the sense that it gives more information than is possible to absorb. As a result, the curriculum is quite challenging and it is normal to feel lost and behind, but students rapidly learn an absurd amount.  The TAs are extremely helpful and nice, and the projects are amazing for building your portfolio and learning. However, the current assessments could be improved since a large part of passing them is just pure memorization. Furthermore, a large part of the curriculum is Ruby which isn't as relevant in the current job market as other languages such as Python.

• I learned a lot
    - 10/9/2019

Overall I would say I learned a lot but the assessments are rough if you come in with 0 coding experience. I had to spend over 100 hours a week studying and I feel like I barely got through the assessment material, and most students still have to spend extra time polishing their projects, doing leetcode, and learning more skills before applying for jobs. 3 months to get employed in coding starting from not knowing anything really isn't enough time to get you to employable but I would say App Academy is probably the best option for those thinking of pursuing the bootcamp option, if they can handle the stress. Our attrition rate was 16.4% which isn't too high but I felt like some of the people that got dismissed were trying their hardest and still couldn't make it through

Excellent program that will really test your determination. All of the time estimates that you see in all of these reviews are indeed accurate. Loved working with my fellow students and teachers (TA's). Reflected with my co-workers on how far we have all come in this relatively short amount of time. Highly recommend!

• Full Stack
    - 8/2/2019

12 week immersive bootcamp that trains for frontend and backend web development skills. With no coding background experience, It was tough for me to understand and get the materials for the daily project. I still somehow managed to survive all the assessments and App Academy was truly rewarding experience. I had to spent everyday studying on materials that was on the curriculum and had to gave up all my free time. Just work hard.

App Academy is an intense program, especially if you are doing the in-person course. Make sure you understand what you are signing up for. You can expect to spend at least 90 hours a week there and if you take your foot off the pedal during the program, it becomes really easy to fall into a vicious cycle of doom and gloom.

That being said, I enjoyed learning not only how to code in the leading languages and frameworks out there today but also how to develop a sense for different coding cultures found in industry. I also can’t thank the instructors enough for their dedication and support. They go above and beyond to teach you the tools and mindset to succeed. I genuinely feel that everyone who makes it through the curriculum comes out with a sound foundation in all aspects of software engineering, from pair programming and debugging code to whiteboarding and solving algorithms. Not to mention that this will be the best opportunity to connect with and make lifelong friends in the industry.

One thing I do have to add is that a/A probably still has a lot of room to improve on both structuring the latter parts of the curriculum and stabilizing the volatility of the staff size from month to month. Unfortunately, our cohort had the pleasure of facing the peak of a staff shortage right as the regular curriculum ended, which I think curbed a lot of the momentum going into capstone projects.

All in all, this was undoubtedly the most rewarding learning experiences I've had. If a/A suddenly introduces an advanced-level course tomorrow, I would not hesitate to do this all again.

Curriculum is being refactored so future cohorts may be better served, but everything from the ruby-focused curriculum to the strike system is archaeic. TAs make the program what it is, better hope the managments hiring skills continue to outweight their factory-like culture.

With an extensive curriculum all ready online, App Academy expects its students to finish a crazy amount of reading and project every day. Ruby curriculum was excellent and all TAs are knowledgable on most aspects of Ruby, but the quality of JavaScript curriculum was drastically worse.

App Academy changed my life. I went in with no coding experience and left with the ability to build apps and get a job in tech. Just be ready to put the work in all day every day for the entire cohort for success.

I was very skeptical about attending App Academy, let alone any coding boot camp for that matter. I read into it quite a bit on places like Reddit but decided to finally take the plunge. aA's policy is not for the faint of heart and they will not, for a second, take it easy on you. It is indeed a rigorous course. What makes them unique is their deferred tuition model, which may surprise a lot of people. The fact that they allow students to not pay a dollar until they land a job in software development is very impressive, and shows they are truly invested in your job search. Some tips: Make sure you make all of the life preparations needed to truly immerse yourself in the program: Let all your loved ones, significant others, friends/family know you will be committing close to 100 hours a week (trust me, it is that much) on this. Solidify housing as close to the campus as possible, preferably for the full year, but at minimum those 3 months needed. The commute from other cities is a true time-suck. Remember, you can only fail 1 of the 6 assessments. The 2nd time you fail, you will be required to pass the retake. If you fail that, you are dismissed; If you pass, you must pass the rest of the assessments to stay. I will not lie, this place is not at all perfect. Course material, daily instructions/prompts need to be updated by the curriculum staff and can be vague, so it is up to you to get help from TAs as much as possible. Don't be afraid of being annoying.
  • Long and arduous
    - 7/30/2019

The course is hyper condensed. The amount of material is often times overwhelming. You could look at the material for weeks after the course is over and still have more to learn from it. The staff is exceedingly helpful and experienced. The program is designed to give back to you as much as you're willing to put in.

App Academy is one of the top coding bootcamp in SF bay area.

More than 95% of the graduates find jobs with average salary of $100k.

Above statements were good enough for me to join this bootcamp. To enroll, I had to take a technical interview and a non-technical interview. A technical interview was difficult as I did not have any background in coding. So I took the Jumpstart course that they provide for free for some of the students who applied.

When you get accepted, there is a foundation course, which is 4 week long, and it says it is a basic course, but it was not so basic for me. Starting from day 1 of 5th week (technically, this is the first week in person) we had pair-programming which helped me a lot on understanding different perspective and approaches of the peers.