app-academy-logo

App Academy

Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle

App Academy

App Academy is an immersive 12-week Ruby-focused web development course with campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy has a full stack curriculum covering Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based upon a hands-on approach; students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete 2 coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in AppAcademy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy's job search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview focused skill sets. Upon graduation, students will have a portfolio of real-world projects to show to prospective employers. App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. Students are only required to pay a placement fee if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy also has two other pricing models for students — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.7

all (665) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (25) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

Start Date November 18, 2019
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over twelve weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    November 18, 2019 - San Francisco Apply by September 20, 2019
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $500 will be required.
    Tuition Plans$20,000 Upfront Plan $27,000 Hybrid Plan ($10k upfront, $17k deferred) $30,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $500 deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.

• $500 App Academy Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive App Academy scholarship for $500 off tuition!

Offer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship.

• In-Person Full Stack Web Development (San Francisco)
    • In-Person Full Stack Web Development (New York City)

• Tony X • Student

I'm currently in Week 10 of the 12 week program and so far I have few complaints. The curriculum is jam-packed with useful material that is identical to the kind of work that real software developers do; you will learn Rails authentication, React and Redux cycles, and much more. On top of that, the staff is incredibly friendly and if one thing, a/A can guarantee that you won't be bored for a single second for at least 12 weeks.

• Scam
    - 11/7/2016
    Andy Giang • Student

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. App academy is no exception.

Getting into app academy is not as hard as they make it seem. A few basic ruby programming problems and you are in.

Their curriculum is nothing special. It's all open source which you can find online for free or low cost.

After quitting my job and investing a ton of time and energy, I was "asked" to leave after 9 days into the program.

App academy's PC culture of diversity, inclusiveness, ass kissing, and bureaucracy did not click with me. They are big on pair programming which is a complete waste of time and a hindrance to learning. Facilities are filthy and men can't even get their own restroom. Every day there was some diversity, women in tech, gay pride, sensitive training type thing going on. That crap doesn't belong in the workplace.

App academy's claim to fame is "no tuition until hired". This is complete bullshit. I paid a $5000 deposit which was inconvenient but I didn't think too hard about. I thought it would be similar to a security deposit on rent. When I was asked to leave they only gave me back $2300 when I expected my full refund.

Based on their model, they are incentivized to take as many students as they can, cull the ones that don't work and make a ton of money. I like most people would think "no tuition until hired" means they do everything they can to get you hirable. Turns out they don't give a shit because they keep your money.

I don't mind being "asked" to leave. What I have an issue with is claiming "no tuition until hired" and then turning around and keeping my money.

If they had refunded my amount completely they would have kept their promise and I would have been fine with that.

This is false and deceptive adverting. This is fraud. This is coercion.

The reason why they have perfect reviews on yelp is because they stick a non-disbarment clause to students who are asked to leave.

This is illegal in California. Shows the length of what these scam artists do for money. Suppression of free speech. This review will probably get down voted until no one sees it.

I talked to a lawyer and he said since I signed the termination contract I have accepted their "refund" and there's nothing I can do. I was coerced into signing it because I would get nothing if I didn't.

• Yale • Graduate

App Academy has got to be the best coding bootcamp around, and I would say the best coding education period.

First of all, the TAs are some of the smartest people I've ever met and they go the extra mile to make sure you understand the material.

Second of all, the course goes at lightning speed. You're always motivated to work as hard as humanly possible because the material is fun, the supplementary videos and homework are awesome, and because of the pair programming aspect.

Third, by the end of the course you not only know how to create web apps, you know how to teach yourself practically anything. A big part of the time spent at App Academy is spent figuring out how to accomplish things, and that's one of the most important skills as a programmer.

Thanks to App Academy, I'm now doing what I love to do!

• Awesome Experience
    - 10/20/2016
    Cass • Front End Engineer at Bronto • Graduate

For anyone determined to make a career change to software development, I cannot recommend App Academy enough. It was incredibly strenuous, but it was totally worth the effort. You will legitimately spend about 70-80 hours a week working for three months, but you learn so much. I had around two years of intermittent experience in software development prior to the course. Most of what I learned was through Ruby on Rails tutorials and some personal Rails applications, all self-taught. App Academy had a perfect mix of CS theory and practical development to enrich my understanding of building software. This mix also provided an excellent foundation for branching-out and learning other tools than what are taught in the curriculum. I still look back at the curriculum material for reference because it is so good. My classmates were some of the smartest and nicest people that I have ever met, and the staff were extremely professional and seemed to genuinely care about our progress.

• Amazin
    - 10/13/2016
    Tony • Software Engineer • Graduate

I can't recommend this program enough to anyone considering it! I went from knowing next to nothing about programming and barely making money to having a full time job as a software engineer making six figures and building cool stuff. Honestly, attending App Academy was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

• I got a job
    - 8/30/2016
    Kab Nigam • Front-end Developer • Graduate
  • Vincent • Software Engineer • Graduate

Excellent program.

I feel like I put myself through hell to get into the program and to get through the program, but it was absolutely worth it.  I work at one of the best companies in the world and have an amazing salary.

They basically have all the resources you need to learn web development from scratch and find a great job.  The biggest variable is not the school itself but how hard you work to take advantage of those resources and make the best of it.

• Solid prep
    - 7/27/2016
    Timur • Software Engineer • Student

I went to App Academy in the Cohort that graduated in March 2015. Overall, I think they did a really solid job covering the fundementals of each technology such as Ruby, Rails, SQL, JavaScript & Backbone. When I began interviewing, I did have to spend more time to learn each of these topics in greater depth, because some of the interview questions were specific to HTML, CSS, JavaScript and you just had to memorize that trivia.

One things that is great about AA that a lot of other bootcamps do not cover is their Algorithm and Data Structures carriculum during the job search. It was super useful to learn about performance, time and space complexity.

I ended up finding a software engineering job after gradaution so I definitely think their formula works.

• Great experience
    - 7/23/2016
    Andrew Kayvanfar • Engineer • Graduate

I attended App Academy back in the Spring of 2014 in New York with Jonathan Tamboer as my instructor and about 20 - 25 other student in my cohort. I attended with the hopes of just learning more about software development and become proficient in a web language, such as Ruby. App Academy delivered all that and more.

Both our instructor and TA were very helpful and attentive. Jonathan was very aware of how everyone was receiving the material and focused his attention where appropriate to ensure everyone was on the same page. I will say that the pace of course is not for everyone. It is intense and you can easily fall too far behind if you are not careful.

I ended up deciding to immediately pursue a job as a software engineer and it didn't take long to find the perfect fit. I felt App Academy prepared me well as a junior developer and also prepared me well for the job search process. I'd recommend this course to anyone looking to learn web development.

• Amazing
    - 7/19/2016
    Aaron Foster Bresley • Graduate

Truly life changing. Went from working at Starbucks to working in NYC as a full stack developer in 3 months.

• Abraham Schonfeld • Software Engineer • Graduate

TL;DR: No exaggeration, App Academy was a life changing experience for me, and if you are willing to work hard it can be life changing for you as well.

I started out with a little experience programming and the idea that I might like to do it professionally and app academy tough me the skills I needed to do just that. The application process requires you to work hard but is also highly rewarding. The prep materials they provide give you a clear path toward what you will need to learn to get accepted. I became a better programmer just by learning the material required to get accepted.

The program its self is nothing short of amazing, in my opinion its the ideal model for education. Expert teachers, helpful TAs, and a well rounded and diverse group of smart and enthusiastic peers who are just as eager to learn as you are. The peer interaction is one of the best parts of the program, you can easily learn as much if not more from your peers as you will from the lectures and reading.

The BEST and most unique part of app academy is the tuition model (no tuition until you find a job,  at which you pay a % of your first year salary over time) . This is crucial and something you can not find in any other boot camp that I have ever come across. The fact that they do not get paid until you find a job means that your incentives are aligned with theirs. They have every reason to make the curriculum the best that it can be, and they will support and advise you until you find a job. This also means that you dont have to shell up $10K or more up front like you would with other boot camps  and there is no risk if thing don't work out.

I learned a tremendous amount and made a lot of friends during the program, many of which I am still in touch with today. I attended app academy in October of 2013 and I now work for groupon making 2.5x as much as I made before I was a software dev. Fellow graduates of my cohort are have jobs ranging from big name companies like Tumblr to cool start ups and all to my knowledge found jobs after finishing the program.

App Academy is a sure path to a software dev job for those who enjoy programming and are willing to work hard at it.

• Lora • Graduate

I took the A/a 4-week bootcamp prep course at their SF location. You can get a weekly rundown via my blog posts from that experience on my blog. If you're a woman, I suggest you take that jump and get in the reads about my experiences from that position.

As an aside: I've gone on to Hackbright Academy and am beyond thrilled with my experiences. My foray into A/a was supportive in some unusual ways. One of those ways was to highlight many of the masculinist and patriarchical cultural values in which the tech community and the App Academy bootcamp are rooted. I was genuinely sad to see so much sexism present in their cohort. I would often arrive early and be in earshot of the full-stack bootcampers and instructors for hours. There were some dicey moments, and a few that made me want to throw my computer out of the window.

Considering the prep course OR bootcamp?
    Here are a few highlights from my experience:

• It's worth taking the time and spending the money to take a prep course if you are on the fence about diving into a coding camp, or you simply want to get some support jump starting into one. I am not entirely sure I would suggest paying the A/a price if it gives you pause, but if it’s totally manageable and the support will be of assistance: go for it! In many ways I’m thankful for spending my time there.
    • I spent time with one of their tutors: that was extremely helpful, reviewing the problems that I struggled to break down into bite sized chunks. I recommend their services if you have the expendable cash, though it would be a LOT cheaper to find
    • The instructors were supportive but I think it was painfully obvious they were coders teaching, and not teachers coding. I have mostly great things to say about their individual styles to teaching. However, their structure seems a bit hap-hazard and thrown together. I would venture a guess that they have filled in most of the curriculum on the fly — and if not, I suggest they take a step back and get organized.
    • I know pair programming is a large part of the coding puzzle, yet this program is extremely individualized in a polarizing way. I had expected to be encouraged to work alongside one another, review code together, etc.  Nada. If anything, I feel we were discouraged from doing so. I’m unsure whether this is indicative of the A/a culture, the bootcamp culture, or this particular instructor & student environment…
  • Ellie • Student

Great kickstart to JavaScript. Fast paced, but easy to follow. Helped tremendously while applying to bootcamps. Highly recommend!

• Do it!
    - 7/14/2016
    Joe B. • Graduate

I would highly recommend App Academy. If you're interested in becoming a software developer and are willing to work hard, this is the best way to do it. In just three months, I went from knowing only a little about coding to being employed as a full-time software engineer at a major Bay Area tech company. The results from App Academy wildly exceeded my expectations, and I can't wait to pursue a career in software. None of it would have been possible without App Academy.

Without going into too much detail, I'd say "believe the hype." Right now there is a huge imbalance in the software market -- demand for software developers is massively outstripping supply, and App Academy's training will put you in position to get one of those highly coveted software jobs.

If you'd like to learn more about App Academy, check out the other reviews and navigate to the App Academy website to see some of the existing students' blogs. Learning how to program at App Academy is an incredible experience, and if you're on the fence about, remember this... leaving your current career may feel risky, but if you think you'd love programming then App Academy is totally worth it.

• Just do it!
    - 7/14/2016
    Dan • UI/UX Engineer • Graduate

I attended App Academy in the beginning of 2016. I came into the program with a hobbyist amount of knowledge of Ruby and Javascript. I knew that I needed an extra push to make the career change, and App Academy seemed like the perfect option.

The reason I chose App Academy was that they were the only bootcamp that relied on YOUR success as a business model. With the deferred payment model you don't pay until you are employed. This gave me all of the faith that I needed in the program to start my journey!

The coursework is very well put together, and covers an ever-changing array of technologies. They stay up to date, and are always trying to produce the most employable junior developers in the country. If you are thinking about it, just do it. You won't be disappointed.

• Brian • Software Engineer • Graduate

Pros:

• they taught a lot really quickly and really well -- they're the reason I'm employed now
    • lots of opportunities to ask for help from smart TAs
    • information was delivered really well in manageable chunks

Cons:

• wasn't clear at the time that they asked for a deposit up front
    • when I took the course, the backbone curriculum was a little weak (but that's probably changed)
    • mostly left alone during the job search period -- I think they could have been a little more supportive
  • Minh Nguyen • Software Engineer • Graduate

Summary: Worth it.  You can learn this stuff on your own, but it will take much, much longer, and it will be harder to convince employers that you have the requisite skills.  While App Academy (and bootcamps) are unknown to some employers, most have heard of the concept and are more willing to take a chance on you than if you have no coding-related experiences on your resume.

Pros:

- Instructors/curriculum: The quality of instruction was really high.  The readings were up-to-date and very clearly written/easy to read.  The assignments were challenging and effective at getting you to understand more thoroughly what you were introduced to via the readings.  The instructor is basically the bulk of what you're paying for -- they are generally great at debugging your code and some are very good at explaining complex concepts.  I think it would've taken me many more months to learn the same materials on my own by digging through resources on the internet.

- Peers: You'd be surrounded by peers who are smart and passionate about tech. I definitely learned a lot by pairing with different people and picking up their good habits.  It's also a network that you can hang on to after graduation.

Cons:

- Job asisstance: This was the weakest part of the program when I attended.  I think the job curriculum (how to write resumes, how to interview, build your portfolio, network, etc.) was much less structured and more under-staffed than the coding part of the program.  I believe this has changed since my cohort (they hired more people and tweaked the curriculum) but I can't comment on how well that's going.  There's also ongoing efforts to create a network of alumni, which I think will be the most helpful for future job applicants.

• Dave • Graduate

About two years ago I was feeling stuck and bored in a career as a microbiologist.  I had picked up programming as a hobby and found that I really enjoyed it, but I had no idea how to turn it into a job.   Around that time, programming "bootcamps" entered my radar, seemingly presenting a viable means to make the switch.  After some research, I decided a/A was the one for me, largely due to the pricing structure and an excellent review from a friend of a friend that had recently attended.   Let me go off on a tangent here and rave about the pricing structure.  If you're not aware, App Academy charges nothing up front (although there is a deposit).  You don't pay anything until you get a job and then once you do get a job, you pay a percentage of your salary.  This unique model is incredibly fair, allows someone like myself who couldn't afford other bootcamps to attend, and says a lot about what a/A offers.  With this model, a/A would completely fail if what they were offering was anything less than high quality.

The application process was very challenging and took a bit longer than I expected.  The process includes interviews and several coding challenges but you are not penalized for the time it takes to get through it all. a/A even provides a whole bunch of rich materials that, with enough review and practice, should be sufficient enough for one to get through the challenges.  This says a lot about a/A's integrity and accessibility.  a/A has high acceptance standards, but if you are willing to put in the work there's a good chance you'll get in, and a/A wants to help you be successful in doing so.  In fact, I didn't pass the last coding challenge, but since I was close to a solution I was given more material to go through and a second chance.

a/A kicked off at full speed.  I was expecting the program to be challenging and a whole lot of work, and I experienced exactly that.  Days typically consisted of a "lecture" in the early morning led by the instructors  where we went over the previous days assignments, went through demos, had a Q&A etc.  Then we jumped into the days assignments which would take up most of the rest of the afternoon and often the evening.  Most days we pair programmed, which was much more fun (and less lonely) than my programming journey had been up until this point.  Seeing others' approaches to problems was also very insightful.  At night we were expected to go over the solutions to the days problems and do the reading for the following day.  We had nearly weekly programming assessments that were often very difficult, primarily due to not being able to use any resources.  I hated the assessments due to the stress they brought me, but they did force us to develop a deep understanding of key concepts.  However, even with regular stresses and working upwards of 100 hours a week, my time at a/A was very enjoyable. The instructors were incredible resources (I wish I took more advantage of this) and I made a ton of great friends.  I have no shortage of fond memories from this period of my life and I was pretty bummed to see it end.

I can't recommend App Academy enough.  I had a great time, the program is of the highest quality, and I couldn't be happier with the results I got.  3 months at App Academy (plus a few months in preparation) got me into a career that I'm very happy to be in and my income has doubled.  How can you beat that?   Also,  6 months after completion my debt to a/A was completely fulfilled.  I graduated from college six years ago and I don't even want to get into how much of that student debt remains.  If you're seriously interested in programming as a profession, make a/A your first consideration.

• Noah • web developer • Graduate

I had a fantastic experience with app academy.  It is certainly a stressful few months, but ultimately, it was very much worth it.  Not only did the program help me change careers in a very short time, I was able to land a job after a relatively short time with a good salary, working with an organization whose mission and culture match my values.

I chose app academy over other bootcamps because of its tuition structure and its selectiveness, knowing that I would be surrounded by the sharpest peers and colleagues that I could learn with, and the latter was the most important reason in retrospect. My cohort was exceptional -- I had less programming experience than many of my peers, but the curriculum moves so fast that students of all backgrounds were constantly challenged and engaged.  Sometimes the speed and quantity of assessments felt overwhelming, but it is necessary if you want to learn something as complex as the fundamentals of web development in such a short period of time.

I'm sure everyone reading this has looked at app academy's website and read other reviews, so I won't get into the hiring stats, salaries, etc., other than to say that my cohort's experience with the job hunt certainly lived up to all of the advertising. Instead, I want to focus on something that I didn't expect before joining app academy, and that is the culture of instruction.  App Academy promotes itself as a rigorous program with great stats, but doesn't necessarily advertise culture, and this made me nervous going into the program (I really liked some other bootcamps' focus on culture). I was extremely happily surprised when I joined app academy -- even if the focus on promoting a positive culture isn't part of the brand, the instructors at app academy did an incredible job fostering positive conversation, promoting inclusiveness during a stressful period, and I can see that they've continued to hire some of the brightest and most empathetic communicators from succeeding cohorts. This was hugely important, but many of the reviews that I read before joining app academy just focused on the challenge and the job hunt.  The instructors are top notch developers and generally great individuals.

Even though I was coming into app academy from a grad school, I was continually amazed at the pace and rigor of the learning experience.  I would wholeheartedly recommend this program.
  • Leah D. • Software Engineer • Graduate

After about 6 months at my new programming job, I can say I've been very impressed with how well the App Academy curriculum prepared me for this new career. I highly recommend this program for an intensive transition into programming and support getting a job in the field.

• Alvin • Software Engineer • Graduate

A little background.
    I graduated San Jose State University as a Business Management Major.

I got accepted and went through the program and found work roughly 3 months after I graduated.

Pros:

they test you on roughly a bi-weekly basis, you are given assesements and if you pass them, you get to keep going through the program, if you don't, they'll ask you to leave. While this does create tons of stress, it also forces you to stay sharp.

Pair programming all day. At my current job, I'm doing this more and more frequently(might be a weird situation exclusive to me, but it does happen). You talk with another classmate through whatever thing you're building/coding. it's super important outside in the work force that you can communicate what you need to do/ what is going on.

Pay after you find work. The specifics for me (August 2015 cohort) was to give them a $5000 deposit before I started the course. when I finally get work, I am to pay them 18% of my first year's salary over 6 months. so 36% for 6 months.
    Most other boot camps cost roughly the same(somewhere in the 15k to 20k range IIRC). Since I didn't have that kind of money on hand, this was nice.
    a friend of mine going through the boot camp actually gave a smaller deposit, however the pay after getting a job was increased(I believe he only deposited ~$2250, and has to pay 22% of his salary after. a/A seems flexible.

Cons: At the time I went, there was too many students for the class. some times we'd have to wait a good while before getting assistance.(a/A has adjusted class sizes since my being there).

at times, you'll get a bad partner, whether they're impatient in helping you understand what is going on, or you're impatient helping them understand what's going on. You're probably gonna have a bad day or two pair programming.

job search curriculum can use work. I don't know what the plan is now, but the job search team was very small and needs to address industry relevant stuff. there was an Uber on Slack hackathon and I over heard one of the Uber hiring managers there laugh intensily at the fact that we wrote cover letters with our applications(he claims he's never read one). While that is only one man's opinion, it seemed like he had a really strong one.

• Tony • Software Engineer • Graduate

Prior to App Academy, I have been learning coding on my own through various online resources. It was nice that I was able to go at my own pace and learn what I wanted to, but after some time, I knew that I wanted to accelerate my learning and find a position as a software engineer. Hence, after researching and reading many reviews, I applied to App Academy. After completing the technical interview with App Academy, I was accepted into the March cohort. I completed the 4 week prep work that was required prior to starting, and went in enthusiastic and ready to learn.

For me, the course was a load of fun. From Monday - Friday, from 9 - 6 (with a 1 hour 15 minute lunch break and a 15 minute break), it was all about learning and coding. My personal schedule was to wake up at 6:00 AM, get to App Academy by 7:30 - 8:00 AM, and review the readings / homework assignment before class started at 9:00. After 6:00, I would look over the solution for the day's work, and prepare for the next day. I would usually go to bed by 10:30 PM, with the latest being 11:00 PM, as I believed getting enough sleep was the key to me being able to focus throughout the immense workload that App Academy entails. However, everyone in my cohort was different, so what worked for me might not have worked for someone else. Finding the balance and schedule that worked for me was key to keeping my momentum going and not get burnt out. The good news is, it was only for 3 months, so even though it was tough every day, it didn't continue for years. I did enjoy learning and coding constantly, and it was amazing how much I learned at the end of the curriculum, with a full-stack project that I am pretty damn proud of. I would actually look forward to Mondays, as it was another day to continue to grow my skill set and build cool things.

The most stressful part was probably the assessments. The policy at App Academy is that you are only allowed to fail 1 out of the 6 given. If you fail two, you are released from the program. That's why it is important to keep on top of the material, and make sure you have a deep understanding of the concepts that are taught. They do provide practice assessments that closely follow the actual assessment, though they are different, so you can't just memorize the practice assessment. It is highly recommended that you take the month-long prep work that is given before the start of the main course seriously, as everything from the curriculum builds on top of it.

The part I enjoyed least was the job searching process. While App Academy does provide lectures about algorithms for technical interview questions, I found it very difficult to get through the resume screening to even get a chance for a phone screen. My other classmates had more success than me though, so I might have just been an unusual case. They tell you it's a numbers game, and that you have to apply to many to get a few hits. It was tiring and demoralizing, but I eventually got through it and landed a job. I would recommend saving enough money to last you not only the 3 months of the main curriculum, but also for the job search process as well, as the amount of time it takes to find a job is uncertain.

Overall, I really enjoyed my experience at App Academy. You are surrounded by motivated and talented individuals, and everyone is working together to get through it. You are challenged to learn a crap load of information everyday, and you will be amazed at what you can achieve in a short amount of time. Without App Academy, I would not have been confident to even apply to software engineering jobs.

• Axel L. • Graduate

AppAcademy conducted a 3 week in-depth JavaScript cohort in February to prepare students with the technical knowledge needed to be successfully enrolled at a coding bootcamp. I enrolled in their first incarnation of this course and was excited to turn my passion into tangible skills. After the first 3 days it was apparent that my skills were growing at a rate I hadn't had while I was self-teaching for months. By the end of the second week I was already confident I could pass any entrance exam or interview at a bootcamp. Then both of my instructors (Anthony and Winnie) conducted multiple mock coding interviews and helped us apply to any bootcamp(s) we were interested in. I was accepted into three bootcamps (HackReactor, AppAcademy, CodingDojo) within a month of completing this course. I decided to go with AppAcademy and without a doubt I would not be where I am today without this course.

• Kenneth Chen

I took the bootcamp prep course in NYC in April when it first launched here and it was a fun experience. Our instructor, Fred, guided us through all the fundamentals of JavaScript; we even covered some material that a good number of bootcamps don't require us to know about beforehand. Fred is as efficient as a programming instructor can be. He takes the time to answer all our questions, but, at the same time, makes sure we go through each lecture fast enough so that we have time to work on the assignments ourselves. While we're working on our assignments, he comes around and checks on our progress, and helps those who are struggling or have questions.

Bootcamp prep classes are 2 hours a day, Monday to Friday for a month. That means that you can do it while working. I wasn't, but several of my classmates, at the time, were. You should be aware, however, that to do well in it, you're going to need to dedicate another hour or two to it. I spent an average of 4-5 hours a day on it, completing assignments and reading the lecture notes beforehand.

Other things that might be of particular interest: (1) You're free to use either Windows, OSX, or Linux. (I used Windows.) However, FYI most coding bootcamps require a Mac for their full stack web development courses. (2) You might be wondering, why does the prep course teach JavaScript? That's because most bootcamps let (or require) you to interview in JavaScript. (3) The course has an online discussion forum, set up via a website called Piazza. Since the course itself runs in parallel with the bootcamp prep courses in other areas, you can ask for help from other bootcamp prep instructors and students from across the nation. (The course was only set up in SF and NY when I took it, but it now seems like more locations have opened.) (4) If you're taking this course to get into App Academy's full stack web development course, you get to skip the pre-challenge and move straight to a 45-min technical interview.

Overall, the bootcamp prep course is a big investment, but it will increase your chances of getting in a top bootcamp. I worked through the practice exercises for the technical interview for App Academy's full stack web development course, and I believe that I was able to solve all of them due to the fact that I had acquired the logical thinking required through constant coding at Bootcamp Prep. Reading about how to program is one thing, but doing it is another. The bootcamp prep course will give you the practice you need to begin thinking like a programmer.