app-academy-logo

App Academy

New York City, Online, San Francisco

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (983) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (25) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
  • Ryan M  User Photo
    Ryan M • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I was a little apprehensive about joining an online program, but as COVID lingered on, I didn't want to delay my education anymore and wait for an in-person cohort. After lots of research and applying to ~10 programs, I decided on App Academy because it seemed like the best fit for me.

I worried that I would be working alone with lectures and projects to work on for 24 weeks, but I was completely wrong. The staff is absolutely the best part about App Academy. Everyone is so knowledgeable and supportive that I never felt like I was falling behind- I was always able to get the help that I needed. Additionally, my cohort was filled with extremely smart and motivated students that created an inclusive community online. Within the first week, I knew I had made the right choice.

The content of the program is very aligned with the job market today and everything is structured to give you the foundational knowledge you need to become a software engineer. As App Academy will tell you, they are not creating React or Python developers, they are creating software engineers that can learn any new language or framework. On top of all that, they end the program with an amazing "career quest" that gives you more job search support than you could ever ask for. Highly, highly recommend!
  • Worth the effort
    Jesse  User Photo
    Jesse • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I really enjoyed my experience at a/A. It is extremely difficult to learn all of these concepts in such short amount of time, but it is well worth it, and you walk away having the confidence to conquer anything.
  • Highly Recommend
    Quintin  User Photo
    Quintin • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    If you invest in yourself, App Academy will invest in you! App Academy delivers on all of their promises and I couldn't have been more pleased with my decision to place my education in their hands. The company culture makes for a great learning environment and I was able to make strong connections with instructors and fellow students. Most importantly, App Academy gave me the confidence to tackle the job search head on!
  • Johnny  User Photo
    Johnny • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
     This review is for the Fully Online course.  Depending on how quickly you learn and your background, the pace of the 6-month course is totally manageable, and at times felt a little too slow or padded out.  If you don't do your homework readings for the night, you'll inevitably frustrate the class or your pair for the next day.  There are always a dozen people in the class who didn't do the readings or homework, and will take up class time essentially asking the instructor repetitive questions.  This was tough, because it took time away from other students who were asking valuable follow-ups or clarifications.  Additionally, your experience day-to-day varies wildly depending on your pair programming partner.  As the course moves along, folks who get negative feedback or who are not keeping up with the material get deferred, so this becomes less of a problem moving forward.  But at the beginning this can be frustrating if you are working with someone who is not a team player, or who is not performing their due diligence as a student.
    The real merit to this program is that it is structured so you have accountability to show up every day and achieve some level of mastery of each week's material. Additionally, the accountability you have during the job search is valuable as well.
    If you're thinking of joining this bootcamp, it'll be a great fit for you if you don't know where to start, or get overwhelmed trying to self-learn.  If you are a fast learner, and enjoy complex thinking and problem solving, you might benefit more from App Academy's 16-week course. The full online might still be a good fit for you if you want a little breather room to gain more depth of knowledge on each week's material.
  • Appsolutely Great!
    Samuel N  User Photo
    Samuel N • Graduate Verified via GitHub
     App Academy came at a point that I decided to change my life and try to pursue something that I really cared about but didn't necessarily have the means to do so.  a/A provided me the support and tools I needed to achieve that which I didn't think I could.  I went through the 24 week online course and I have to say that it is an intense process that challenges you week in and week out. Some say it's the hardest thing that they have ever done and I can't say that I disagree. I can say that the grueling nature of it has a purpose and you emerge all the better for it. It is not for everyone, some find the steep learning curve too hard but if you are committed and you put in the necessary time, it is very doable and worthwhile. The overall highlight is definitely the staff, who mostly support you throughout the whole course and continue the support into your job search. The curriculum material can be a little erratic in its teaching format and does occasionally need some updating, but you do learn the most current and up to date coding styles.
  • Well Worth It
    - 3/16/2021
    Jared G.  User Photo
    Jared G. • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
        I originally thought I could teach myself the material and skills on my own, but I could never have done it as comprehensively or as quickly. App Academy is a lot of work (the 90 hours a week is accurate for some heavier weeks), but it totally pays off. You not only learn how to create the larger portfolio projects that you complete at the end of the course, but if you really devote yourself to the curriculum, you will learn how to troubleshoot, debug, and most importantly be able to pick up new languages/frameworks easily. This will put you in a great position when it comes to applying for jobs. Throughout most of the course the TA's were easily accessible and were vital for providing the best information to help pass the assessments. My cohort was also a great support group and we were constantly rooting for one another during the process.
        One thing I disliked was that the HTML/CSS curriculum is mostly self-study. If you don't have a solid understanding, it can make the beginning of your projects a bit overwhelming. Also, help from the TA's starts to get phased out when your projects begin, which can be stressful. The staff and resources during the job search curriculum are fantastic if and only if you proactively take advantage of them and communicate your needs. If you don't, you may feel a bit on your own.
         Since graduating (< 3 months ago!), I've been impressed with my cohort-mates as several of them have already received job offers or are in final interviews. I'd say if you are willing to study very hard and take advantage of all that a/A has to offer, it is entirely possible to become a full-fledged software engineer in a short time.
  • Nichole O'Brien  User Photo
    Nichole O'Brien • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    At App Academy I was able to receive the education I needed to start a new beginning. I enjoyed the lectures, material and people. The App Academy community is accepting and helpful. They continue to improve and grow while placing the needs of their students first and foremost.
  • Nick Bierman  User Photo
    Nick Bierman • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I was skeptical of the bootcamp model at first, but the App Academy team and curriculum made me believe in a bootcamp as a very legitimate model to change your career. With that being said, it requires your full attention for 9+ hours per day (sometimes on weekends as well). If you are truly driven to change your career, I highly recommend a/A, but it only works if you put in the work.

Pros: Lots of great instructors (most of whom are a/A grads since they emphasize hiring internally). Many bright, motivated students with whom to learn.

Cons: Some of the curriculum material is difficult to understand and could definitely be improved. To the instructors' credit, they consistently acknowledged student feedback on the material. My understanding is that they are constantly updating/upgrading the curriculum, so I suspect this issue is not permanent.
  • Tri T.  User Photo
    Tri T. • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I took the July 2020 in-person curriculum held remotely. I enjoyed my time at App Academy. The staff was great and a/A does a great job in providing a great learning environment (You are encouraged to always ask questions). I met a lot of great people and would highly suggestion creating a study group. App Academy's curriculum provides every student the foundation to succeed but every student's experience is a lot different. This is a situation where you get what you put in. The curriculum is fast and very tough, especially if you do not have any experience in coding. By the end of the program, you will have had 3 capstone projects (Full Stack, MERN stack, Vanilla Javascript). Overall, I'm happy with my decision on attending App Academy, but because it was such a rigorous curriculum, I would not want to go through it again.
  • Great Choice
    - 3/6/2021
    Nick M  User Photo
    Nick M • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I have to say, I was skeptical of bootcamps since some are known to inflate their statistics. But with app academy, I was happy to know they took everything seriously. I worked close to a 100 Hours a week, and the stress of having weekly assessments, that could kick you out of the program, weighed on me heavily. But at the end I learned a lot of new skills, which helps with the job search.
  • Jose  User Photo
    Jose • New Grad • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

TLDR:
    Of course it's hard. But the payoff is greaaaaaat! :D If you're thinking of what bootcamp, just apply to App Academy.

Pros: - Amazing experience - You can ask for help aaaaaaaaaall the time - Lots of resources - Relevant course materials - Software salaries are QUITE high - You learn 2 languages, a frontend framework, 3 projects (2 solo, 1 group), and a bunch of other stuff

Cons: - Sooooooooooo much work (your routine will be: Coffee, Lecture, Lunch, Work, Work, Dinner, Work, Sleep, Repeat for 16-weeks)

Not TLDR:
    Hello World! - the beginning of your journey; if in fact you are new to this stuff like I was. Before App Academy, I had been a Host and a Server in the restaurant business for four years. When the pandemic hit I was out of a job and had to look for options. I live in San Francisco and a ton of people here are in tech and so I thought I'd check it out and see if it was for me. I took a two-week Jumpstart program with App Academy and there I learned Ruby - a cool language that flows like plain English; mostly. I was never great at math but have always been interested in languages. Learning to code is like learning a language. If you like that, try it out. When you're coding you're solving problems and trying to get stuff to work. It can be very gratifying! Jumpstart was a lot of fun for me and so I applied to App Academy. On my first try I hadn't practiced my skills enough but on the second try I did great! From the first day at App Academy know that you are in for a lot of work. In the morning, I think it was ~9-12:30 for me, you will have lectures with 1-2 5-10 minute breaks in-between. In the afternoon, ~1:30-5, you will be paired up with a fellow classmate to solve a bunch of problems mostly related to your morning lectures. The lectures will be based on your previous evenings material. Expect about 4-6 hours of studying every evening - I wish that were a joke but you've got a lot to learn in 16-weeks. You will do your partner and yourself the most good if you do your homework. Please, please, please, do your homework. When I graduated, it took me about 2-3 more weeks to finish up my final projects. After that you go into job search and you will continue to do tons of work so that one day, you will land an awesome job in software!! :)