app-academy-logo

App Academy

Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle

App Academy

App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.

The in-person web development course is 16 weeks-long, and the full stack curriculum covers Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. The online course runs for 24 weeks, and focuses on JavaScript and Python. Students of the online course learn fundamentals, such as JavaScript, Git, and object-oriented programming, and later build on these by learning languages, such as Express, React, HTML & CSS, and more. Like the in-person course, students of the online course create a portfolio that includes individual and group projects.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (851) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (24) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

Start Date July 6, 2020
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over sixteen weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    July 6, 2020 - New York City
    September 21, 2020 - San Francisco
    November 16, 2020 - San Francisco
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Start Date July 13, 2020
    Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Available through Climb Credit
    Tuition Plans- ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
    July 13, 2020 - Online
    November 30, 2020 - Online
    - 5/4/2020
    Jennie Richardson  User Photo
    Jennie Richardson • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    All the reviews I read online about App Academy said it was going to be intense, and they were not wrong!  I was a complete newbie to the developing world when I started the App Academy journey.  It meant that I had to stay on top of the reading materials and homework every single day (including weekends).  It is a rigorous program and there is no time for you to stop and take a breather.  You just have to keep going.  But at the end I realize there is a method to this madness.  Concepts did become clearer as I moved on.  The teachers in my cohort were very supportive throughout the whole program.  There was no question too small or too big.  They were always ready to answer any questions or discuss any issues I brought up.  The pair-programming part of the curriculum is also a crucial part of the students' success.  Once you're done with this program, you know how to explain your code and communicate with your peers really well.  I highly recommend App Academy to anyone who is interested in software developing and is ready to dedicate themselves to learning in an intensive environment.
  • Worth It!
    - 5/2/2020
    Kadeem Jackson  User Photo
    Kadeem Jackson • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    App Academy's program was one of the most challenging things I have personally done but I think it's all for good reasons. When I decided to make this big decision and pursue not only my passion to become a Software Engineer but also a better financial opportunity I knew it wouldn't be easy.

Pros:
    - Peer programming really helps you work with others and explain your thoughts better
    - The curriculum and technologies were set up in a way to prepare you for building full stack projects
    - The Teachers and T/A's are all amazing programers who have their own skills and understand the workload
    - I've always felt like I was well supported
    - You build relationships with other students in your cohort through daily peer programing and group projects
    - At the end of the program you truly feel like a Software Engineer

Cons:
    - The program requires anywhere from 90 - 100 hours a week this often means even after class hours you will be spending time to make sure you understand the material so you don't get left behind. This is only a con because it can be really hard to adapt to this change and not get burnt out but as I said in the pros there will be support.
    - Some of the materials or readings need to be updated but since they are switching the whole curriculum up I'm sure this will be addressed.
  • Quality Bootcamp
    - 4/11/2020
    Seth Ullman  User Photo
    Seth Ullman • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had a really great time during my time at App Academy. The curriculum pushes you at speeds that allows you to learn a large amount of information in just a little bit of time. It was a struggle to keep up sometimes but by the end of it I felt as if I really was a software developer.
  • Great School!
    - 4/8/2020
    Asaf Mohammad  User Photo
    Asaf Mohammad • Verified via LinkedIn
    I liked that they actually taught the technology and not just made left it to videos. You do watch videos as homework for the day ahead, but the majority of how you learn is by hands on coding.
  • I learned a lot
    - 4/8/2020
    Jasim Atiyeh  User Photo
    Jasim Atiyeh • Verified via LinkedIn
    I loved app academy. At my time there we covered a lot of stuff very quickly, but with dedication I made it. I honestly believe that their base knowledge of computer science and the underlying understanding of how a language works is what got me my job. The way they made you understand stuff using a broad range of teaching mediums really helped me remember and understand the purpose of the languages themselves. It was very challenging (even after you graduate), but worth the high price tag.
  • Han Kyul Kim  User Photo
    Han Kyul Kim • Software Engineer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I attended an online cohort, and was surprised by the quality of the instructors and how much I enjoyed interacting with other students. The job support was a bit more sparse, but after I found a job (right before covid-19 exploded in the USA), I was surprised that I was able to apply my skills right away. Great content, perhaps with a need of tweaking the post-course job support.
  • John Enriquez  User Photo
    John Enriquez • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I won't need to wax poetic about the great things about this program, as many other below have already done so.

Nonetheless, there are two aspects of this program that set it apart from others. First, this curriculum is structured around almost-everyday pair programming. As an introvert I hated this part, but upon graduation I understand now that we've developed important interpersonal skills - soft skills that I believe will make or break your chances of hire, whether during interview or when evaluating culture-fit. By pairing every day, we can easily drop into any team, or lead one as needed.

Second, the career support is incredible. While my friends at other bootcamps shared their experiences with me as "they just give you the resources but you're on your own", I've found that App Academy invests a lot of time in making sure we're not just being left out to dry. The large network and multiple partnerships with companies really gives you a leg up on the job search.

All in all, be prepared to socialize a lot, be prepared to put in 90-hour weeks (which is NOT an exaggeration; I've attempted to do less and have suffered for it), and the rewards will be incredibly fruitful.
  • Kieran Scannell  User Photo
    Kieran Scannell • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    The core curriculum in the online course was fantastic and the TAs were, for the most part, some of the best teachers I have ever had. I also really enjoyed pair programming and thought that it was a very effective way to learn the material quickly. I felt that the projects and job search prep curriculum after the core part wasn't quite up to par with the rest.
  • Garon Hock  User Photo
    Garon Hock • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    It was personally the hardest thing I had ever done. I just completed the course on April 3rd, and I can say that looking back it was a positive experience, but it did not feel that way throughout most of the curriculum. First of all, you need to be at a certain level to even get into the course. Depending on the person, if you are brand new I could imagine this being an extreme struggle, which is why I say it depends on the person. I know that some of my cohort mates started coding a few weeks before the curriculum and they were brilliant. Not everyone that attends app academy is a genius most are just regular folks who have a passion for code and work hard. There were definitely a few classmates that were leagues above everyone else, don't feel bad about it, instead try and learn as much as you can from them. That, along with the T/A's who helped teach the program, was the best part about the program. App academy puts you in an environment where if you legitimately put in the work, and ask as many questions as you can along the way, you have the ability to become a full stack engineer. The TA's that taught my course were amazing, they were leaps and bounds better than any college professor that I ever had, and never once made me feel like I asked a stupid question.  You will literally be bombarded with material though, especially once the course switches to javascript/react/redux. Close to everything that you end up using on your full stacks was taught in the last month of the main course. Switching from ruby to javascript is hard and the switch is extremely fast, you get two weeks studying javascript fundamentals and then you're off to react and redux. I thought this was a little strange, due to the fact that I rarely use ruby anymore.  But just keep asking questions and reviewing the material and you will be fine. In closing, your success or failure in the course is entirely on you, app academy isn't a magic place that turns out software engineers you have to work your ass off. Be prepared for that, even though I can't imagine how you would prepare yourself for the demands of app academy, you just have to do it to understand.
  • Sammy Gutierrez  User Photo
    Sammy Gutierrez • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    The first four weeks
    It was a great first 4 weeks of the course since we met for half days (perfect for adjusting to the course work followed).
    Pair programming was a bit awkward. You are required to type for someone else for 15 minutes while they talk you through their strategy, then you switch and you are responsible for talking them through the strategy. Now finished with the course, I do see the benefit of it so make sure you are doing it.
    The next 21 weeks.
    (normal "office" hours)
    Full day programming (my schedule was 10am to 1:15pm morning lectures/programming, 1:15-2:30 lunch, 2:30-4:45 pair programming, 4:45-5:00pm break, then 5-7pm more programming (with occasional evening lectures). The pair programming definitely helps pass the time (depending on the partner). Most cohort members were at a similar level while some students with previous computer science backgrounds were far ahead of everyone else. We had an AMAZING group of instructors who helped us along the way. I feel like that is the greatest thing I enjoyed about the course. not once was I made to feel bad about struggling with the content. The instructors were genuine in their desire to help us learn and succeed.
    (after "office" hours)
    Get ready to eat a meal, perhaps relax for 30 mins or so, then go into anywhere between 2-4 hours of readings/homework. Do not let up on this or you will fall behind. Also, think of the best way that you learn and go with it. I took paper notes on my reading the first couple of months then switched to google keep note taking half way through. Honestly, I feel like the note taking took longer but I absorbed the content better. Although it is nice to have a digital searchable archive of my notes. Try to absorb the material but not necessarily memorize it. Doing the homework will help you be ready to pair program which will keep you on track. Oh and don't forget to fill out your evening reports. We were were not told this until towards the end, but those reports ("what I learned", "challenges", etc) can be useful during your job search. Because of this, it may be useful to take notes as you work for these reports (you will likely be tired by the time reports are available to be filled out).
    (curriculum)
    Honestly, most of it is really good stuff. The projects give you hands on experience on the content and material you read about the night before. There are a ton of projects but it seemed like the goal was exposure not necessarily building a portfolio (until the last weeks). You have assistance when you need it and hopefully a fun partner each day that you work with. There were a few projects/assignments that I really enjoyed and some that I really didn't. Some projects are very applicable to the real world, (building websites, designing, constructing games/apps) while others are very scholastic(working on algorithms/math type problems, and writing "lite" versions of complicated stuff so you have a better understanding or appreciation). I honestly feel like some of the scholastic projects could be removed and the course would be enhanced.
    The two months are working solo as well as in a team to develop multiple web applications from scratch (from a pre-approved list). You will also make a portfolio and prepare for the job search (with readings and homework). This was probably my most favorite time and the hard work you did in the A05-A06 curriculum will pay off here. Feel free to check out my portfolio for samples of the types of projects. www.samgutierrez.com
    (strikes)
    App Academy does have a policy in place to hold people accountable to their work and being in class. For the most part, I see it as generous. You really can't be kicked out if you are doing what you are supposed to.
    The Job Search:
    After you complete your projects and your official last day the hard work isn't over.
    You are given a career coach who work with you to get you ready for the job search. He or she will require multiple things to be met each week. You must get a certain number of points per week and a certain number of application or you are given a strike.

Personal tips:
    Don't over commit yourself.
    My marathon:
    I had already committed a couple months of training prior to signing up for a/A. This would be my second marathon and 10th or so long run event. I was on track for a 3:30 marathon PB but the marathon was not until 4 months later. Rather than paying to downgrade my marathon to a half or 10k ($100 bucks to do so), i just opted to continue with it. My training regiment had me doing a small amount of miles at the start of the course so the first month felt like a breeze. However, the next 21 weeks were living and breathing code and more strenuous running workouts. My schedule consisted of waking up early in the morning (after late evenings of homework) and training for my marathon for about an hour with long runs on weekends. Aside from that, I quickly began battling over tightness of my quads that never let up (and eventually led to injury). I got to 3 months into the course before I started experiencing Achilles issues. By the time the marathon came around I was not in good shape. Mentally exhausted from the course work and assessments and dealing with the Achilles issues, as well as unforeseen family medical emergency. There were days when I couldn't even run a mile before my Achilles just forced me to walk. Luckily, I abandoned my PB goal and was now just focused on not injuring myself but foolishly kept pushing. I ended up completing the marathon in 5 hours and 20 mins. Was it worth it....maybe? lol It felt like a bigger accomplishment than my first marathon but of course but the damage had been done. I am still struggling with Achilles injury (3 months after marathon) and fell behind during the most difficult, and honestly what I felt like, the most important portion of the course. Of course with no longer having to train, I was able to manage to get myself up to par but at more stress. My advice, think long and hard about committing to anything during this time. You will definitely benefit from having the extra time.
    Equipment:
    Get a second monitor, mouse, and a decent computer if you don't have one. Laptops are good but honestly I feel like the $300 used imac that I bought is so much easier to work on then the macbook pro I worked on for one day. It is a world of difference having to constantly minimize or drag things around just to see your code.
    Set up your equipment somewhere where you will not having distractions (this will be super important during assessments) but will also help your day to day. I moved my equipment from a second bedroom  (with one window) to my living room with 3 because it got more daylight. This made a huge difference in my productivity because I felt the day longer (didn't get tired as easily), could hear birds chirping instead of the neighbor's kids on their trampoline, and could also let my dogs play outside while I monitored them through the window (as opposed to keeping them cooped all day and feeling guilty)! The sunlight also keeps you sane because depending on your time zone you may not actually be outside during daylight otherwise.
    If you have a savings and are able to invest a bit more a Solid State Drive would be helpful. Make sure you are using an ethernet connection for reliable video signal and consider investing in a inexpensive external microphone. This won't really be enforced but you will make it a better experience for you and your classmates.

• Learned A Ton
    - 4/5/2020
    Kevin Lu  User Photo
    Kevin Lu • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    This boot camp is definitely worth it if you are looking to learn a ton and serious about making the career switch to becoming a web developer. In 6 months, I went from writing simple algorithms like isPrime and caeser cipher in Ruby to building full stack web applications using technologies such as Ruby on Rails, MERN stack, GraphQL/Apollo, and much more. By the end of the course, you will feel like you can learn any language or framework, and look at any web application, and have a good sense on what you need to do to reproduce its features, which are very powerful skills. That being said, your mileage will vary depending on how much effort you spend practicing and truly understanding the material.
  • Michael Giering  User Photo
    Michael Giering • Applicant • Verified via LinkedIn
    I loved the course! It was super hard, but in six months I went from knowing next to nothing about coding to being confident I can learn anything I need to be an effective software engineer. The TAs are amazing and I made some really good friends along the way. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get into the tech world.