app-academy-logo

App Academy

Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle

App Academy

App Academy is an immersive 12-week Ruby-focused web development course with campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy has a full stack curriculum covering Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based upon a hands-on approach; students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete 2 coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in AppAcademy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy's job search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview focused skill sets. Upon graduation, students will have a portfolio of real-world projects to show to prospective employers. App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. Students are only required to pay a placement fee if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy also has two other pricing models for students — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.69

all (629) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (25) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

$0
    With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
    Beginner
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    San Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Your full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Rolling Start Date
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    None
    Standard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / Guarantee
    Money back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    No experience required
    None required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

October 14, 2019
    San Francisco, New York City
    Over twelve weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Only applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    $17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / Guarantee
    Guaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Basic computer literacy
    Provided at each step by App Academy.
    October 14, 2019 - New York CityApply by August 23, 2019
    November 18, 2019 - San FranciscoApply by September 20, 2019
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Only applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $500 will be required.
    $20,000 Upfront Plan $27,000 Hybrid Plan ($10k upfront, $17k deferred) $30,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $500 deposit)
    Refund / Guarantee
    Guaranteed job under Deferred tuition option.
    Basic computer literacy
    Provided at each step by App Academy.

• $500 App Academy Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive App Academy scholarship for $500 off tuition!

Offer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship.

• In-Person Full Stack Web Development (New York City)
    • In-Person Full Stack Web Development (San Francisco)

• Trevor Scandalios • Web Developer • Graduate

As a recent App Academy graduate, I'm very happy with my decision to enroll. The course is definitely intense, however, it is as difficult as it needs to be to ensure that you graduate the program with the skills and knowledge necessary to get a job in the tech industry. All of the instructors are great at what they do, and the curriculum is really well thought out. Each week's material builds on itself to incrementally teach you everything you need to know. I would recommend App Academy to anyone who is looking to transition into the tech industry, and is ready to put in the work to do so.

• Alex Doundakov • Graduate

I just finished the curriculum at App Academy and have learned more in the last two months than the last year of self studying. The program is high-intensity, they really mean it when they say 80 hours / week, but along with the program you get a fantastic support system that really cares about you instead of what paycheck you'd be bringing them.

I really feel prepared to go out into the workforce and have something concrete to show for my efforts. You really can't go wrong with App Academy if you put in the effort and are serious about your work. Can't recommend it enough if you are considering a transition.

• Eric • Student

THE GOODS:
    I joined a/A because I wanted to make a switch to a dev career, coming from 3 years in Marketing, but with some programming experience. Still, there are some pretty brilliant students in my cohort with varied backgrounds, sometimes with 0 coding experience, and they're doing very well. Which, in summary, means: no matter your background, a/A will give you the tools to be successful, but it will be up to you and how well you adapt to the intense curriculum.

This is not the regular college pace. It's much more intensive than that. If you fail 2 of the weekly assessments, you're out. Some of the people from my cohort who got kicked out weren't putting enough effort into it and were still in the college inertia, which isn't enough. Again: you get what you put into it.

You will get support from TAs on the floor every day. A lot of the times, they will not directly answer your questions but guide you to the answer by showing you the pieces, making you think it through. I really liked this approach as it made me realize that I had the answer most of the times, but was looking at it through the wrong perspective.

When I joined, I expected to learn the basis that would allowed me to learn a lot more of the things I wanted, but it ended up exceeding my expectations. They not only teach you how to develop a full-stack webapp and the technologies behind one, but they go through a lot of CS concepts too, which was beyond what I expected.

The tech curriculum is proprietary, very well written and structured. It explains a lot of things in details, which means you can expect countless hours of lectures and readings.

You will walk out with a lot of small projects that you'll develop throughout the curriculum, plus three bigger ones for your résumé. Most importantly: you'll finish wanting to do more, so you'll most likely develop some projects on your own afterwards.

Their system for tracking progress is really impressive and well designed, which makes you feel more confident in the structure they offer.

THE BADS:
    The job search curriculum is less structured than the tech one. The content is there, but it's not centralized, so you often have to remember where to go if you want to check presos, homework material or schedule.

There are few job search coaches for the full cohort, so it gets a bit hard to get some good feedback from them.

All in all, 11 weeks into the program, I feel confident about getting where I want, so I can't recommend it enough.

• Ethan • Graduate

I was learning the MEAN stack before and felt like I needed the extra push to become job-ready. App Academy stood out for two reasons.

1) It is the top bootcamp and you get to work with smart people. Pair programming is common across many high quality bootcamp. Some people doubt the value of it. But when you work with programmers who are better than you, you will become a better programmer. At a/A, some students have CS background and some are just bright students who can digest concepts quickly. I was able to discuss different ways of solving problems and learned a lot from my peers. You will miss your days of pair programming when you are in project phase.

2) It focuses on job preparation. While other bootcamps focus on projects exclusively during the second half of the program, a/A makes you learn algorithms and prepare for interviews. IMO, you can always fix your projects on weekends or after the program. But having career support is the key to getting a job. Also, sharing interview tips with other students who are going through the same process gives you a unique advantage.

The number of TA was not enough for my cohort. It didn't cause any problem until the project phase. But they realized the problem and hired more TA for the next cohort. Thumbs up for really responding to our feedback and trying to make the program better.

• Mike • Student

I've learned more in the last two months than the last two years combined. Excellent well-rounded curriculum with fantastic peers. The program is extremely selective and it shows; almost everyone I've worked with has been exceptionally bright and personable. Highly recommend this program if you're considering a transition.

• Brian Lee • Graduate

I wanted to change careers from being a travel agent to software developer. I made the decision to apply for App Academy after researching about available courses that will get me ready in the work field. I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into at first, but I am very glad I was able to attend App Academy.  App Academy not only taught me modern coding languages and conventions that is relevant  in today's job market. More importantly, App Academy taught me how to learn and how to push myself to work hard every single day.  I have confidence in my skills and confidence in that I will be able to adept into any environment. I have never worked so hard as I have during my time in App Academy, and I am very thankful for such an experience.  I would highly recommend anyone looking into getting into the web application development field to take a look at what App Academy has to offer.  The staffs of App Academy are amazing and super friendly.  Robert, Jenn, and Shamayel were particularly helpful during my time at App Academy.  Maybe you will be fortunate to get to know them too.

• Victor Aw • Student

The program covered Ruby and database back-end extensively and gave me all the tools I needed to build a full-stack application. The React/Redux curriculum was effective and very helpful. Everyone in the program was passionate about succeeding, and there were many cool projects made during the program. The intense pacing means that you're constantly learning and you really understand the material by the end of the program.

The job seeker curriculum has plenty of helpful materials and has been very helpful in refining my application materials.

• Amazing experience
    - 11/19/2016
    Melissa • Student

After going through App Academy, I am so glad that I made the decision to quit my job to enroll.  Yes, it is an intense experience, and there are some stressful moments, but if you're serious about learning how to program and build full-stack websites, I wouldn't recommend anything else.

The program is very structured for the first 9 weeks, and everything is fully laid out for you - you know exactly what you're supposed to do every day of every week, and how long it's expected to take. The structure was really helpful for me so I knew whether or not I was falling behind, and I knew what was expected of me. There are assessments to test your knowledge, which are probably the most stressful part of the program, but you'll be fine if you study the material and do the practice tests. App Academy doesn't want you to fail, they do what they can to let you know what type of material they're going to test on.

In all, it's incredible to look back on my experience and remember how little I knew before I started and how far I've come since then. I had zero quantitative/technical background and was working in Sales beforehand, but I've been able to learn super technical concepts and apply them in my projects. I've learned much more than I have ever learned in my life, and it feels awesome.  Go to App Academy!

• Cindy • Student

Pros:

- everyone is super helpful. The staff love to help and your peers all come in at different levels so there's always plenty of people to ask for help

- the course is project based so everything you learn is practical

Cons:

- it's a marathon so don't fall behind. There's no time to play catch up

- the assessment structure is very stressful if you fail one so study hard

• Everything you need
    - 11/19/2016
    Humza Baig • Student

As someone who hasn't yet graduated college, I was afraid a coding bootcamp wouldn't be as good as going to a university. Boy, was I wrong. It was everything, but easy. On day 1, we hit the ground running! You're always motivated to work really hard because the material is fun. All of the instructors and TAs genuinely care, and will sit with you for hours to solve even the tiniest bug. The curriculum is very complete and you are able to create complete web applications by the end of the course. If you are considering coding bootcamps, or want to transition into the industry, I highly recommend App Academy.

If you have any specific questions about the program, feel free to contact me!

email: humza.baig2009@gmail.com

• Jay • Student

If you're looking to start a web development career, look no further! App Academy is one of the top software engineering schools in the Bay Area, with a < 3% acceptance rate. It is extremely intense, so be prepared to go into a cave during your time at App Academy, but it is definitely worth it!

• Pak • Web Developer • Graduate

App Academy promises a lot: 12 Weeks, Software Developer, $110K Average Salary.

It sounds unbelievable, and it kind of is. It's unbelievable that after 12 weeks, you can have a mediocre knowledge of programming and actually create functional websites. It's also unbelievable that you'll be immersed in programming for 70-90 hours a week.

You'll be surrounded by intelligent peers that want the same things you do, along with an incredible support staff that matches instructors at the top-level of education.

The scale of everything is unbelievable, but if you're willing to take the plunge, you'll wonder why you didn't commit earlier.

• Tough, but worth it
    - 11/18/2016
    Connor Murphy

Background: A former teacher/political science graduate who decided to become a programmer last year.

Application: I applied to App Academy in December 2015, and started attending in August of 2016. I was invited to do the Jumpstart program, which is a two week instensive where they try to help you get into the program, while teaching you fundamentals of programming (Jumpstart has its own mini curriculum).

Thoughts on the program: App Academy doesn't have a lot of flair, the facilities are fairly bair bone, which for me is a plus. Attending a bootcamp with a beer tap, or 7 ply toilet paper, means that someone (you) has to pay for it.

The instructional staff are all former students who aced the course (there are 6 assessments) and were rated well by their peers. This means they tend to be very helpful, but they aren't perfect. That overall adds positively to the ambiance, since working with someone who may not know exactly how to solve your problems means you can follow their debugging process while they solve your problem.

Overall, the program is really intense. I haven't spoken with most of my friends for over an hour during the course of the program, and I have killed all of my hobbies. I was not a programmer before, and this meant I had to push myself much harder than those who had backgrounds which lends them more to programming. The program is not perfect, but honestly, what is? The program is free, except for the 5,000 debosit you need to pay upfront. There is a strike system, and an assessment system so it is possible to fail out(semi-common) or strike out(extremely uncommon-unless you suck as a human).

If you can push yourself this hard, and you enjoy programming, then this is the program for you. It's no frills, the people and instructors are awesome, and overall it is enjoyable, if a bit intense.

• Gabriel Lewis • Student

App Academy is an incredible way to jump into technology industry. If you have the ability to get in and want to become a developer, you should apply.

After two months of hard work I can say I am a Web Developer. I’m proud of the work that me and my classmates have done. If you are considering going to App Academy be prepared to work hard. There are time that you will wonder whether you are qualified, or capable enough. If you get through the admission process you are capable enough to get through the course. Work harder than you ever have, but remember to have fun with your peers.

• Andrew Tae • Student

App Academy is a rigorous course that will push you to your mental limits, especially if you have less than a year of experience in coding. I was able to learn about programming topics that I didn't even know that I didn't know, which was a huge problem I had when I was studying by myself. Due to the selective interviewing process, everyone in the cohort is passionate and motivated to get to the end of the course. As a result, everyone is enthusiastic and eager to help each other out. If you're serious about getting into web development in as little time as possible, I cannot imagine a better method than App Academy and I strongly recommend this course.

• Yue Gu • Student

Currently almost done with the program. Didn't really hava a technical background before doing this. Yes, its possible to make web apps within three months, technically even shorter than that. However, I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't dedicated to it. Your days will consist a lot of going in, coding, going home and doing a bit more. You really need to give it your all for these 12 weeks. The end result is definitely worth it though. I'm amazed at what I am capable of creating after only a few months. The projects I'm working on now, is mostly soley my own work. No more TA's needed to help me through everything, which speaks volumes about the curriculum if you have the right mindset.

• Eric • Student

I've found that App Academy lives up to the hype, both in terms of hard work and how fast paced it is. The course really pushes students to achieve and learn as much as possible. It is pretty stressful at times, but very rewarding. Fortunately, the coursework is excellently organized - the coursework lists daily homework/readings/videos - which helps keep students on top of their studies. There are plenty of extra resources, including the superb TA's themselves. Every TA at App Academy is knowledgable, patient, and willing to help.

App Academy focuses on pair programming every day, which is a great way to learn what your weaknesses are, to learn through teaching, and sharpen your interpersonal skills (what future employers care about!). The course also slowly progresses from from holding your hand to a hands off approach so that you learn to teach yourself anything you want or need to know, another necessary skill in the workplace. Speaking of the workplace, App Academy's job search curriculum is incredibly involved. They really help you polish your resume, cover letter, and interviewing skills. I don't know of other coding bootcamps with this much post-curriculum support.

If you are passionate about programming (and you have to be to make it through the program) and want to change your life, App Academy can help you do it!

• Tyler • Graduate

App Academy is amazing! I had less than 6 months experience in coding before coming to a/A and I learned so much over the course of the curriculum! All the staff is so great and goes above and beyond to help you succeed! It's a insanely intense 3 months, but it's so worth it! App Academy has given me the tools to be the best developer I can be and I can't thank them enough for that!

• Wonderful place!
    - 11/18/2016
    Can Lekili • Student

Everyone is very supportive and helpful. The curriculum itself is definitely not easy but it's a lot of fun and it's definitely worth it! Alongside teaching how to make sublime apps and best programming practices, they also teach how to collaborate efficiently with your colleagues in a professional working environment. Overall they forge you to be a rock solid, ready to hit the ground on day 1 of your job developer!

• Tony X • Student

I'm currently in Week 10 of the 12 week program and so far I have few complaints. The curriculum is jam-packed with useful material that is identical to the kind of work that real software developers do; you will learn Rails authentication, React and Redux cycles, and much more. On top of that, the staff is incredibly friendly and if one thing, a/A can guarantee that you won't be bored for a single second for at least 12 weeks.

• Scam
    - 11/7/2016
    Andy Giang • Student

If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. App academy is no exception.

Getting into app academy is not as hard as they make it seem. A few basic ruby programming problems and you are in.

Their curriculum is nothing special. It's all open source which you can find online for free or low cost.

After quitting my job and investing a ton of time and energy, I was "asked" to leave after 9 days into the program.

App academy's PC culture of diversity, inclusiveness, ass kissing, and bureaucracy did not click with me. They are big on pair programming which is a complete waste of time and a hindrance to learning. Facilities are filthy and men can't even get their own restroom. Every day there was some diversity, women in tech, gay pride, sensitive training type thing going on. That crap doesn't belong in the workplace.

App academy's claim to fame is "no tuition until hired". This is complete bullshit. I paid a $5000 deposit which was inconvenient but I didn't think too hard about. I thought it would be similar to a security deposit on rent. When I was asked to leave they only gave me back $2300 when I expected my full refund.

Based on their model, they are incentivized to take as many students as they can, cull the ones that don't work and make a ton of money. I like most people would think "no tuition until hired" means they do everything they can to get you hirable. Turns out they don't give a shit because they keep your money.

I don't mind being "asked" to leave. What I have an issue with is claiming "no tuition until hired" and then turning around and keeping my money.

If they had refunded my amount completely they would have kept their promise and I would have been fine with that.

This is false and deceptive adverting. This is fraud. This is coercion.

The reason why they have perfect reviews on yelp is because they stick a non-disbarment clause to students who are asked to leave.

This is illegal in California. Shows the length of what these scam artists do for money. Suppression of free speech. This review will probably get down voted until no one sees it.

I talked to a lawyer and he said since I signed the termination contract I have accepted their "refund" and there's nothing I can do. I was coerced into signing it because I would get nothing if I didn't.

• Yale • Graduate

App Academy has got to be the best coding bootcamp around, and I would say the best coding education period.

First of all, the TAs are some of the smartest people I've ever met and they go the extra mile to make sure you understand the material.

Second of all, the course goes at lightning speed. You're always motivated to work as hard as humanly possible because the material is fun, the supplementary videos and homework are awesome, and because of the pair programming aspect.

Third, by the end of the course you not only know how to create web apps, you know how to teach yourself practically anything. A big part of the time spent at App Academy is spent figuring out how to accomplish things, and that's one of the most important skills as a programmer.

Thanks to App Academy, I'm now doing what I love to do!

• Awesome Experience
    - 10/20/2016
    Cass • Front End Engineer at Bronto • Graduate

For anyone determined to make a career change to software development, I cannot recommend App Academy enough. It was incredibly strenuous, but it was totally worth the effort. You will legitimately spend about 70-80 hours a week working for three months, but you learn so much. I had around two years of intermittent experience in software development prior to the course. Most of what I learned was through Ruby on Rails tutorials and some personal Rails applications, all self-taught. App Academy had a perfect mix of CS theory and practical development to enrich my understanding of building software. This mix also provided an excellent foundation for branching-out and learning other tools than what are taught in the curriculum. I still look back at the curriculum material for reference because it is so good. My classmates were some of the smartest and nicest people that I have ever met, and the staff were extremely professional and seemed to genuinely care about our progress.

• Amazin
    - 10/13/2016
    Tony • Software Engineer • Graduate

I can't recommend this program enough to anyone considering it! I went from knowing next to nothing about programming and barely making money to having a full time job as a software engineer making six figures and building cool stuff. Honestly, attending App Academy was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

• I got a job
    - 8/30/2016
    Kab Nigam • Front-end Developer • Graduate

Hired by school in-field

Short-term contract or part-time position
Hired by school out of field
Out of field

Still seeking a job
Not still seeking a job

Non reporting

83% of job obtainers reported salaries.

Prepared under the guidelines set by the Council on Integrity in Results Reporting but not audited