App Academy offers immersive web development courses both online and in-person on campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based on a hands-on approach. Students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social. App Academy places emphasis on career training to help students land jobs soon after graduation. App Academy's job-search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview-focused skillsets.
Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete two coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in App Academy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.
App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy offers two other pricing models for students as well — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.
Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.66
Recent App Academy News
- App Academy Grad Jerrik Won $500 in Our Sweepstakes!
- February 2019 Coding Bootcamp Podcast
- April 2018 Coding Bootcamp News Podcast
Start Date None scheduled Cost $0 Class size N/A Location OnlineWith App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
Deposit N/A Refund / Guarantee Your full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
Deposit None Tuition Plans Standard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795 Refund / Guarantee Money back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
Minimum Skill Level No experience required Prep Work None required Placement Test No Interview No
In PersonFull Time40 Hours/week16 Weeks
Deposit Only applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required. FinancingLending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option. Tuition Plans $17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit) Refund / Guarantee Guaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
Minimum Skill Level Basic computer literacy Prep Work Provided at each step by App Academy. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
OnlineFull Time40 Hours/week24 Weeks
Deposit $0 FinancingAvailable through Climb Credit Tuition Plans - ISA: $0 Upfront. 15% for 3 years with a maximum of $31,000, only after you're hired making over $50,000 - Upfront: $20,000 Refund / Guarantee Guaranteed job under ISA tuition option.
Minimum Skill Level Basic computer literacy Prep Work Provided at each step by App Academy. Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
App Academy Reviews
994 reviews sorted by:
- Incredible and Life Changing Experience- 3/29/2019Rome Bell • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Part Time - Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via GitHub
You will learn more about software development in 12 Weeks than in my opinion you could learn in college. App Academy has given me the tools to be able to hit the ground running. It is an inclusive environment where everyone is encouraging and the teaching assistants give you the tools to succeed. It is a tough bootcamp because you are constantly learning something new and you are pushed to the limit every day. However, it is one of the most rewarding experiences that I have ever had in my life. Being around so many brilliant individuals push you to be better. You will be challenged like never before but it will pay off 10x's over, and you will be incredibly thankful for the experience. In all, it was the best thing I have ever done. Thank you, App Academy.
- Cool bootcamp- 3/28/2019Corrie Stoddard • Student • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via GitHub
Attending App Academy has been an overall good experience. It can be ROUGH at times (puts the boot in the world bootcamp) but it really teaches you a LOT and prepares you as best as a person could possibly be to go from 0 to developer in 3 months. I feel like part of the experience is being around other cool aspiring developers as well, it's something that you can't really replicate with just some kind of online class or something like that.
- Extremely Rewarding- 3/28/2019Ryan Foong • Student • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via GitHub
This program will teach you the necessary skills to be able to create your own websites. It's not for everyone. It's extremely challenging (7 days a week, 12+ hours a day). It's extremely rewarding and difficult.
All the instructors were amazing. Job search is ok.
- Great Experience, Great People- 3/27/2019Tamir Karssli • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via LinkedIn
Be ready to give up everything else that is going on in your life, this course needs 100% of your time. They aren't lying when they say the course can take up to 100 hours a week.
The teaching is solid and all of the other students are serious about what they are doing and are really smart and capable people. In regards to the curriculum, ruby is a great language to learn the fundamentals of programming. With that said I don't think that it's very useful to teach us about rails when the last few weeks we barely have enough time to learn MERN stack, which seems to be the more relevant stack in the industry now.
- Hard work pays off- 3/22/2019Avi Vazana • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: New York City • Verified via LinkedIn
It's rare that someone is given a genuine opportunity to change everything on a dime.
App Academy offers that sort of experience to every one of its attendees.
If you're willing to work really hard, day in and day out, for 3 months (plus the time it takes to find a job, which can be a few more, albeit less intense, months) you can go from 0 coding experience to being a capable, well-paid Software Developer.
It's not perfect - the ergonomics and ambiance could use an upgrade - but it's totally worth it.
You'll learn a lot and make some amazing friends along the way.
App Academy is definitely worth it if you're interested in web development. Although it is quite difficult, it is very rewarding if you put in the time to study. I came in with little to no experience in coding. But after going through the curriculum and studying for at least 80 hours a week, I have learned the tools and gained the skills to build a webpage. The instructors are great at teaching the material, and they are always more than willing to help. Overall, I am very glad I decided to attend App Academy.
- App Academy- 3/18/2019Joseph Park • Student • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via GitHub
- Challenging but rewarding- 3/10/2019Andrew Engelstein • Student • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: San Francisco • Verified via GitHub
I struggled learning to code on my own. App Academy provided a great environment to learn how to code. This is a very INTENSE program but working with others and having instructors to reference makes the experience all worthwhile. I'd definitely recommend the program to those who are sure they want to become a web app developer.
- Great Experience- 2/16/2019Wilfred Ruck • Graduate • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: New York City • Verified via GitHub
App Academy is life-changing. This was by far the toughest workload I’ve ever had to endure. I constantly wondered day by day if I would survive and understand everything thrown at me. But week after week I was reminded just how much I’ve actually retained and how much I was growing into the software engineer I aimed to be. I went to a different bootcamp a year beforehand and learned a great amount of skills, but going through App Academy showed my glaring weaknesses and helped me build a proper foundation with great guidance from TA's and Instructors. I encourage anyone to apply who is passionate about coding and willing to put in the work. It is nowhere close to easy, but everyone is totally capable.
- Amazing- 1/29/2019L Kim • Student • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: New York City • Verified via GitHub
It's no understatement to say that you will literally be eating, sleeping, and coding throughout the entire journey. If you plan on attending, make sure to be mentally prepared to do nothing but study and do code with your time. The extremely fast-paced nature of the course leaves no room for laziness. You have to be at your very best every single day, and, although it will be hard, it'll ultimately make you a better programmer and person. Although the program is very rigorious, it's doable for those with the right mindset. Make sure you study hard, stay curious, and sleep well. Programming requires a lot of logical thinking and sacrificing sleep to study is going to lead to more problems than solve them. There will be many moments, where you're going to feel like you're drowning in the work, but you'll be fine because you've got amazing instructors and peers to help you along the way.
- Best decision I've made- 1/27/2019Christian Cashiola • Student • Course: Bootcamp Prep • Campus: New York City • Verified via GitHub
After working in the restaurant business for five years, I was skeptical about trying to make the switch into the tech industry. However, let me tell you how my App Academy experience went! After being accepted, I was given a plethora of great material to get up to speed. REALLY STUDY THIS MATERIAL. Taking the time to go through all of it and thoroughly comprehending all of the concepts immensely helps once the cohort begins. The last few weeks leading up to the course start date they have "open house" study sessions with 1-2 App Academy instructors/TAs to help answer any questions. I suggest taking note of the things that give you trouble and having questions prepared in advance to ask the staff in person. There's also a Slack channel where everyone can help each other out. After my first official day, I was surprised by how enthusiastic the everyone was! The culture at A/a really is amazing. All of the instructors and TAs are very patient and super nice. The days are very long but since you pair up with someone new everyday time flies. Stay on top of the homework, get enough sleep, ask a lot of questions and you'll have an exceptional experience. PS: The job search curriculum afterward is where App Academy shines. Just when you thought the program couldn't get any better!
- Recommended- 1/26/2019Michael C • Student • Course: In-Person Full Stack Web Development • Campus: New York City • Verified via GitHubThere is no exaggeration about how difficult the program is. This isn't specifically in regards to the material, but the entire program itself. Considering that <5% of applicants get accepted and still there are students that get kicked out, it isn't about how difficult the material is. Students get kicked out because they are not prepared for a bootcamp. The full-time program is rigorous, strict, and fast-paced. There is no time to catch up if you fall behind because everyday there is brand new material to become familiar with before the next day. Preparing for a bootcamp comes down to how much time and energy you are willing to completely dedicate to the program. Those that slept enough, ate well, studied hard, minimized distractions, worked on the prep material thoroughly, and remained consistently focused had a better chance at succeeding. The program is designed to teach students many skills in as short a time as possible. It is structured to expose students to new material through various methods and then solidify that knowledge with practical exercises. On top of that, the instructors are more than happy to help every student with any issue. It is clear how passionate they are about programming as well as teaching. The environment is welcoming and encouraging. I have never been taught by a more dedicated group of instructors and I have never learned alongside such hardworking and persistent classmates. Every student is there to strive for success and every instructor is there to help them do it. In the end, I was almost surprised to realize how much I actually accomplished in such a short time.