app-academy-logo

App Academy

Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle

App Academy

App Academy is an immersive 12-week Ruby-focused web development course with campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy has a full stack curriculum covering Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based upon a hands-on approach; students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete 2 coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in AppAcademy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy's job search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview focused skill sets. Upon graduation, students will have a portfolio of real-world projects to show to prospective employers. App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. Students are only required to pay a placement fee if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy also has two other pricing models for students — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.7

all (664) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (25) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

$0
    With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
    Beginner
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    San Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / Guarantee
    Your full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Rolling Start Date
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    None
    Standard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / Guarantee
    Money back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    No experience required
    None required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

November 18, 2019
    San Francisco, New York City
    Over twelve weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Only applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    $17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / Guarantee
    Guaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Basic computer literacy
    Provided at each step by App Academy.
    November 18, 2019 - San FranciscoApply by September 20, 2019
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    Only applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $500 will be required.
    $20,000 Upfront Plan $27,000 Hybrid Plan ($10k upfront, $17k deferred) $30,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $500 deposit)
    Refund / Guarantee
    Guaranteed job under Deferred tuition option.
    Basic computer literacy
    Provided at each step by App Academy.

• $500 App Academy Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive App Academy scholarship for $500 off tuition!

Offer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship.

• In-Person Full Stack Web Development (San Francisco)
    • In-Person Full Stack Web Development (New York City)

• Great Instruction
    - 5/26/2017
    Chris • Student

I participated in the Boot Camp Prep course by App Academy. I had no coding experience before I started the program. Now, I am on my way to learning javascript and hopefully gaining admission to a highly selective coding Bootcamp.

Instructors, Alvin and Chase were very helpful and even stayed after class to answer questions from students.  They care about their students and want us to be successful. The course moves fast and major effort is required for success.

Access to AppAcademy is limited outside of class time, so it is importaint that students find a distraction free place to study and reliable internet while taking the course.  The money back guarantee makes me feel safe to learn a valuable new skill.

• David Sehl

Coming into the course I knew I had an interest in programming, but was unsure if I would be able to keep up knowing that I had zero coding experience prior to starting the course. These concerns dissapeared soon after beginning the Bootcamp Prep course. Our instructor, Alvin, did an excellent job of making sure each concept was fully understood before moving on to the next topic. It is extremely important that you understand why a certain solution works, and they did a great job of breaking down problems and solutions line by line. I had no idea that I would be able to learn so much in such a short period of time, and I can honestly say I am leaving the course confident in my ability to get into a top programming bootcamp. The course was challenging and rewarding. They are not lying when they say you are going to have to dedicate a lot more time than the two hours per day in class in order to get the most from the course, but if you take this on as a challenge you should have no problem spending time outside of class improving your skills. I would definitely recommend App Academy Bootcamp Prep to anyone considering a career in programming.

• Katarina • Software Engineer • Graduate

When I started looking at different boot camps I was already taking online open courseware classes. There were three main things I was looking for that I could not get self-teaching. The first was coding with other people - App Academy focuses heavily on pairing and you will pair for the majority of the day every single day for the first seven weeks. The second factor was having people actually look at and critique my code, as online code checkers really tell you nothing about code quality, only code correctness at best. This was addressed with pairing, TA code reviews, lectures on best practices, and studying the provided daily solutions. Lastly, I knew that I would seriously need help in the job search. This was the real kicker, as App Academy's tuition model of paying a percentage of your first year's salary really gave me confidence that I would be supported and pushed throughout the job search process. I'm happy to say that really was exactly my experience. On my own, I never would have pushed myself to apply so quickly and to so many places, but with App Academy's support I ended up nabbing a Software Engineer position I am super excited about in almost exactly three months after starting to apply, which is the average time. The stats are real! (Salary stats, too)

Overall I was very impressed with the structure of the program, so much is really thought through in advance. The admission process mirrors job search, and the tests serve not only to ensure you keep up with the pace but also are great preparation for timed coding challenges in interviews. I would definitely suggest studying a lot in advance and making sure you are strong in your fundamentals. The provided a/A material is really the bare minimum, I took CS50x and MIT 6.001x and would highly recommend them. If you are not prepared for the first weeks it is nearly impossible to catch up and I would say most people who fail out do so because they were not sufficiently prepared. Also, if you have sufficient time, I would recommend spending some time to learn algorithms in advance as you will have a ton of things on your plate during job search.

• Matthew Santamaria • Software Engineer • Graduate

Truthfully, App Academy was one of the best decisions I personally have ever made - I feel very lucky to have attended. I am writing this days after having just accepted a job offer - the program really helped launch me and get me to this point, without a doubt. I attended a San Francisco cohort in 2016; I chose the program because I got the gut feeling it would be quite challenging and super high-quality, and this proved to be true. It is very hard work, and requires continuous persistence. Simultaneously, though, it was some of the most fun I ever had - you not only create a network, but more importantly you are simply taking a plunge into something new with a lot of bright people who are also starting this journey with you. I don't think I met one person who was really "cutthroat", everyone is eager and willing to help one another; this says a lot about a/A's screening process.
    If you are reading this, a big concern you may need addressed is the tuition model and if this is "too good to be true". It is not. I paid my $5000 deposit, then App Academy invested a ton of time, energy, and resources into me until I found my job, several months after the program ended. They mean it when they say they are invested in you for the long haul. I feel like they believed in me and stuck with me, honestly. They were more than willing to work with me on my re-payment structure, because frankly after several months of searching your finances inevitably dwindle. BOTTOM-LINE: App Academy just doesn't want to get screwed, and you don't want to screw App Academy. They are a business and need to get paid, but they have mercy and understand your situation. Again, I just ended my job search so this is all fresh in my mind - trust me when I say a/A is a wise decision.

• Zachary Greathouse • Graduate

A fantastic way to break into learning how to code. I had a great experience in this program. You aren't simply fed material to memorize to pass a test or interview. The curriculum and classroom environment are very much centered around making sure you understand the material.

One of the best things about the bootcamp was the instructors. The instructors were clearly knowledgable and passionate about programming. Also lectures were engaging, which is very important when trying to learn some of the more complicated material. The course not only provides a massive amount of practice problems, but also many resources to study to continue learning long after you have graduated.

Overall, it was a very pleasant experience. I grew very much as a person and as a student programmer. I am also proud to say that this program assisted me in being accepted into App Academy!

For anyone who is trying to become a programmer, I can't recommend this course enough.

• Bohdan • Software Engineer • Student

I chose to attend App Academy because they have one of most competitive admission processes in Bay Area and they help with the job search. The whole process took me almost a year (study for getting into, curriculum part, find a job).

I think the curriculum is structured very well, so you are learning new concepts step by step. Every day you are paired with different students for building new projects. Pair programming helps you to get a sense of working environment and get feedback on how you're doing.

I would recommend being overprepared during each and every step of App Academy - prep work, curriculum, assessments, algorithms, job search - overkill everything.

I just finished my job search and I'm pretty happy with results. App Academy worked out 100% for me.

• David F. • Fullstack Engineer • Graduate

App Academy was definitely a life changing experience. And I'm glad it was my first real exposure to code. But honestly having gone through several Udacity courses and Flatiron's immersive, it was the least helpful in me acquiring my position.

The curriculum seemed oversimplified in comparison to the learning platforms I approached (including the other boot camp). But in all fairness. App academy will work for you if you've really struggled with programming before. The resources are all there to help you succeed. As long as you use them.

My only complaint is with job placement. Although you do get an opportunity to attend the job fair, if you're not perfectly prepared to deal with the pressures of technical interviewing right away, it seems like nobody believes in you afterwards.

• Eddie • Graduate

Program was first intimidating but it helped me building up my tolerance for working longer hours. My turn-around point for me was after the 3rd week. That was when I realized keeping a schedule is a MUST. If possible, put your personal life on hold and put aA as your #1 priority. The amount of material to be learned demands such a schedule. As far as the subjects covered, they are some of the most marketable programming skills nowadays. I learned Ruby, Rails, JavaScript, and etc (just to name a few).

Again, it is hard but it is also very rewarding. If you dedicate your best effort into this program, you should not fail.

• DL • Student

I signed up in July 2016 for the online bootcamp. The initial lessons were easy to grasp but as the course progressed I could not keep up.

The latter lessons were confusing and too fast-paced. I have a biology degree and could barely understand what the instructors were talking about.

I tried the online tutoring, but in the time alloted, only got 1 or 2 questons answered. In addition to having the tutor flirting with me.

By November 2016, I had tried the mock interview twice, and failed miserably. I reached out to them in December 2016, in regards to retaking the course in person. I was even willing to pay another $2000. They said they would reach back to me, and to this day I have never received a reply....

I am dissapointed I spent $2000, in good faith, and did not even get a response. They took my money and left me to my own devices, essentially.

I would not recommend the bootcamp to anyone. It was a very negative experience overall, and one of the most unprofessional situations I have encountered in my adult life.

I have since given up becoming a software engineer, due to feeling duped and mislead, and will likely never pursue it again. I am now leery of anything promising such and such, but then asking for thousands of dollars upfront.

Anyone not already in Computer Programing, save your time and money and learn on your own or go to an actual university!

• hostile culture
    - 3/31/2017
    John Hill

App academy creates a pretty miserable culture in which all of the students are afraid of getting kicked out. I was substantially anxious every single day of this program, and it honestly did not make me more productive. In addition to high pressure assessments, they have an absurd and unnecessary strike system that just adds a little extra daily misery to your life. The physical space of their New York location is overcrowded, and they seem to have not adjusted their teaching style while recently doubling their cohort size. When you are in the project phase of the curriculum, a new cohort will have started, and almost all of the instructors' attention will be on the new cohort, so plenty of students finish the exhausting curriculum only to find that they aren't even satisfied with the portfolio projects that will be central to their job hunt.

I learned a lot, but as someone who has taught at the college level before, I know that there is no justification for treating students in this manner. It doesn't improve results. It brings out bad student behavior, and when combined with all of the social forces already shaping the tech industry, contributes to creating a hostile environment for women and minorities.

I think that their tuition model helps them justify treating their students poorly. Everyone thinks at first "App Academy isn't charging me tuition, so I'm lucky to be here no matter what!" But then you rememer that you paid a $5k deposit, and you will eventually pay many thousands more, and that maybe, just maybe, we should expect to be treated like humans by educational institutions.

• Andrew • Student • Student

The curriculum here really pushes you. There is a good blend of core CS concepts with practical applications. The daily flow involves pair programming, working on one- or two-day projects, starting off with console games and moving into web-based applications. The full-stack capstone project really pushes you to synthesize everything you have learned and present it in a visually appealing way. There is a good spirit of camaraderie among the students and the TA's are ready to help and share their experience. I sometimes thought I wouldn't be able to do it, but by the end, I found myself succeeding beyond my own expectations.

• if you're stuck
    - 3/28/2017
    alec • student • Student

App Academy doesn't teach you anything you couldn't learn on your own, and you will come out not knowing a lot. However, if you're like me and you TRIED to learn it all on your own but found yourself struggling to deal with what to go deeper into and what to gloss over a little quicker, app academy is for you. I constantly found myself stuck in my programming journey because I would feel like my knowledge was never complete on any one thing. App academy's fast pace forces you through the lesser topics while still making sure you know enough to move on. At the end of it you may feel like you still don't know anything but if I've learned anything while I was here it's that just because something has become easy for you doesn't mean that it's easy in general.

• Sweta • Student

App Academy undoubtedly has a solid coding curriculum, and it's clear that the staff has a finger on the pulse of the industry to keep the curriculum updated. That does result in parts of the curriculum seeming unfinished, but I think that's a tradeoff I'm happy to make. The pair programming approach to learning was actually way more enjoyable than anticipated. It also provides motivation and keeps you accountable to the work. Job Search curriculum also seems to be solid, with an Algorithms mini-course. I've yet to apply to jobs so I can't speak for how it all stacks up in the industry.

The program seems to be struggling with upkeeping the inclusive culture they advertise, however. One of my female cohortmates left due to the casual sexism and racism she faced. I've definitely felt similarly as a female. There have been more serious offences in the past year. A lot of the effort from a/A seem to be pretty superficial, with mimimial follow-up after the diversity training type lecture the first week. With this course being mainly centered around pair programming (a pretty intimate experience) your experience is pretty dependent on the relationship you build with pairs.

On the whole, I've learned way more in the last 9 weeks than I possibly could have on my own. Expect a bit of disorganization on the way, but also expect to be surrounded by some of the brightest people you've encountered. The TAs and Staff are intelligent and pationate about your success. Most cohortmates have also been aweome, with most willing to put down what they're working on to answer your question or provide debugging assistance.

• H.Bui • Student

App academy was worth all the stress and hardwork I have put in.  Having not completed my undergraduate degree, making the decision to drop everything and sign up was difficult.  However upon day 1 I have not looked back and am excited for what is to come.  The staff was nothing short of spectacular.  They are around constantly to help you understand concepts you WILL struggle with just because of the pace you are learning information at.  My favorite part of the program would have to be the constant hands on experience of coding with a different partner everyday.  Being able to collaberate and experience how another mind solves a problem is rare and app academy implements it so well.  If you get the chance to do something really special you have to take that opportunity, and this is it!

• Josh McMenemy • Software Engineer • Graduate

Pros:
    * Accountability through tests, peers, and assignments causes you to code a ton during the bootcamp
    * Questions are answered quickly by TA's which speeds up learning process
    * Pair programing with the cohort allows you to meet and see the thinking process of many smart people
    * Great connections and support during job search
    * Location is great in SF with a nice view
    * Learn multiple languages and technologies

Cons:
    * Not much freedom in the curriculum - assignments are same for everyone
    * Forced to apply to X number of companies of week after applying
    * Emphasizes specific knowledge of Ruby on Rails and React over more general full stack knowledge

Overall:
    Enjoyed the program, job search took a little longer than I hoped, but ended with a job at one of my top choices =)

• a/A is alright
    - 3/27/2017
    Andrea del Rio • Graduate

App Academy was crucial to me getting my start. I'd been exploring coding for awhile but App Academy put the fire under me to really get moving. Yes, the pace is fast. Yes, it is possible to fall behind. Yes, it is very stressful and difficult. However, I found that it push me forward when otherwise I would have lingered. There were plenty of topics that I wish I could have spent more time on, but I became a capable engineer within a few months and you can go back and solidify those sections whenever. Mostly, what sold me was the pricing structure. They are invested in you, which helped with my own confidence level and meant they would really help me find a job. 4/5 because I would have liked to see more daily projects to completion rather than switching contexts, as well as a broader introduction to all the materials in the prepwork given how fast we breezed by them in the curriculum.

• Bao • Student

App Academy has been a wild ride, and I only just finished Week 9. I know the purpose of App Academy was to find a job, but I felt like I got so much more. While I am shooting for a job, and I do believe I won’t have any issues finding one, I felt that the experiences and knowledge I’ve gained from the previous “9” weeks at App Academy have been so much more valuable. There’s quotations there because there was significant prep work before starting the program.

The past nine weeks have absolutely flown by. I’ve learned Ruby on Rails, jQuery, SQL, HTML, CSS, React.js, Redux and so much more. I’ve gotten the opportunity to build a full-stack, single-page web application from scratch with as little or as much guidance as I needed, and this, in and of itself was the best part of the program.

I would highly recommend App Academy to everyone who wants to start with a new and rewarding career. And I’ll highly recommend App Academy even more when I get a job. But for the value I just received in 9 weeks, it’s worth what they charge.

• Corey Wofford • Graduate

Believe the hype.  I had read up a LOT on App Academy and other boot camps and ended up putting all my eggs in on basket - App Academy - it was the right basket!

I figured that out at the end of the day 1.  They really had their act together right off the bat.  From there, I would just continue to be impressed at how well designed and executed the curriculum delivery was.  It comes at you fast and furious and you pretty much have no life, but the immersion (plus very well timed concept reinforcements) starts to pay dividends quickly.

You are moving at a very fast clip from topic to topic, first doing mostly pair programming single-day projects that focus on one or two competencies at a time, but then you're doing more comprehensive multi-day projects where if you haven't been keeping up, you're spending a lot of time in your Evernote or on Stack Overflow.  Finally, you're on your own doing full stack and it's then you realize just how much you've learned.  No more training wheels.

Ultimately you're exposed to just about the whole breadth of the field, enough to know where to start when you want to go deep and leverage a different technology.  You know how to team problem solve, pair program, and along the way get a firm grasp on algorithms, data structures, databases, and different architectural frameworks to tackle whatever comes next.

Staff is TOP NOTCH.  Culture (SF campus at least) is exceptional.  Support is fantastic.  Entry process does have a lot of wickets, interviews, tests, etc. but stick with it, it's worth it.

• tsr • Software Engineer • Graduate

I have been impressed with App Academy since the moment I applied through every step of the curriculum.

The screening process was rigorous but humane, and they treat you like a valued individual (as opposed to another equivalent school that I got into where the interviewer was taking a Lyft or something while he was conducting my interview).

The curriculum itself is really really well designed, not only building on itself to facilitate learning and deep comprehension, but is constantly being updated to incorporate the most highly demanded and up to date technologies. In my cohort they trained us to be strong React and ES6 developers, while not neglecting the older technologies, like jQuery. This turned out to be invaluable in the job hunt, since a lot of companies were looking for React developers when we graduated.

I was skeptical at first about their emphasis of Ruby on Rails, since most companies seem to be moving away from that, but in retrospect, it really is the best way to learn about how a full stack application works, especially for people with less experience. And they do their best to give you a deep understanding of why things work the way they do so that those skills are transferrable.

The program also gives you a good foundation in algorithms, web and backend architecture, and interviewing skills. I was just amazed at the amount of knowledge I had gained after the 13 week program, and felt like I suddenly had superpowers to build all sorts of applications. I received 5 job offers within 3 weeks of graduating, one of which I ended up accepting, and I'm very excited to be formally starting my software engineering career.

However...there are a few caveats.

First, new students should know that you don’t magically get all these skills just because you get into the program. I found myself frustrated by a few of my peers who seemed more focused on socializing and just getting by in the assessments than studying and finishing all the projects and assignments. Because a lot of the learning happens in pairs, a weaker partner will compromise the learning opportunities of others. It also risks the reputation of the program as a whole. However, this was more the exception than the rule. Most students worked hard, demonstrated a real passion for programming, and took what a/A taught as a foundation for more self-directed learning, and in doing so became good developers that can build almost anything.

Second, just being a strong developer doesn’t guarantee you a job interview. Especially in a market weary of bootcampers. That part relies on a lot of networking and luck and doing extra side projects. So the job search is a demoralizing, grueling process to get your foot in the door. Once you get your technical or onsite, though, you’ll find that App Academy has prepared you well.

Pros:

- well-designed curriculum that builds incrementally on learning

- teaches the most up-to-date technologies/libraries/frameworks

- good balance of lectures, hands-on projects, videos, take-home assignments

- reasonable hours for a bootcamp (9am-6pm, + 2-3 hours of homework)

- gives a good foundation in algorithms, web architecture, and other skills necessary for interviews

- based on pair programming and collaborative skills

- good job search guidance for how to craft your resume, frame your past experiences, etc.

- deferred tuition model reflects how much the program is invested in making you a good, employable developer

- progressive values and mindset, encourages diversity and inclusiveness for all backgrounds

Cons:

- bootcamps in general have a bad rap these days, so it seems to be a more challenging than before for grads get interviews

- less rigorous screening and assessments process for students may hurt reputation in the long run

- didn’t feel particularly close to my cohort or staff, but like I mentioned, that was less of a priority for me

- growing student numbers might compromise quality of training in the future

- some TA’s are less knowledgeable than others, but you’ll always get the help and guidance you need

- there’s now more structure and support during the job search process than previous cohorts, but it’s still not enough

- paying back a large percentage of salary can end up being more than other schools’ tuition if you end up getting a really good offer. (#firstworldproblems)

• Oskar Perskaas • Front End Software Engineer • Graduate

Pros:
    * The results. They have a very high placement rate, and I was hired into one of the best companies in the world after graduating.
    * Deferred tuition model. I didn't trust any bootcamp to give me a worthwhile education except for App Academy since you only pay when you get hired.
    * Job hunting support. Since they only get paid when you get hired, they are very invested in helping you get a job.
    * The people are great. Both students and teachers are wonderful people, and I made several awesome friends.
    * Teachers are very helpful, most of them know a ton.
    * You will learn a lot of useful information relevant to an actual web development job.

Cons:
    * Some teachers are fresh graduates of the program so in some cases they will have to defer to a more senior member. Not a big deal, just wastes a little time.
    * It is a lot of work. If you make it in and you are able to keep up (try not to fall more than a day behind), then you will learn a lot but you can't slack off. During the week I had zero free time, but on most weekends I had some free time. I would rather have it at this pace than be less work spread over more time.
    * Pressure. Since you can get kicked out for poor performance (not hard to do if you fall behind more than a couple days), there is quite a bit of stress and pressure involved. It eases up later in the program as the chances of getting kicked out diminish significantly.
    * Inconsistencies in curriculum. Since their curriculum is constantly evolving and being worked on by multiple people, some parts of it are out of date, some are redundant, and some are incorrect.

Overall:

I give it 5 stars because I learned a lot, had fun, and got an amazing job! The cons obviously aren't a big deal, otherwise I wouldn't have rated it 5 stars, but be aware that it isn't perfect!

• a/A review
    - 3/5/2017
    J • Software engineer • Graduate

a/A has great curriculum and lots of resources to learn. Reasonable policies and nice and kind staff. I have to say, YOU need to work hard. They won't make you to once you pass the basic assessments (means personal project and job searching process) They can help you to do better but it is very hard course. Be prepared to work hard and it will be worth it.

• Best decision EVER
    - 2/23/2017
    Wes • Graduate

I am confident in saying that App Academy was the best move I have ever made career-wise. Graduating from a good college with a degree in Electrical Engineering was great, but truly did not prepare me for the real world. After having a difficult time finding a job in engineering in NYC, I eventually took a job in the financial industry. After two years at my previous job I was unhappy and needed a change, and felt pigeonholed into my current position.

I came across the idea of coding bootcamps while browsing the internet one day. I had some experience coding in college but knew that I was not qualified to become a software engineer. After a lot of research I found that App Academy was, without a doubt, the best bootcamp around. There were definitely a lot of scams out there, but a/A was not one of them. With an extremely low acceptance rate and a tuition program in which you pay AFTER you find a job, I can honestly vouch for the hiring statistics that they boast (97% get a job within a year). They don't make money unless you find a job.

Here I am, a month after graduation, and flooded with interviews for high paying full stack engineer positions. I would recommend this bootcamp to anyone that has an interest in becoming a software developer, because it is the best education around.

UPDATE: After exactly two months on the job search I am employed and making over double what I was before a/A.  Not only that, but I feel that I am actually making a contribution at work.  Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions!  If you apply through my code we will each get $250 off of tuition! Find me on LinkedIn under Wes Robinson.

• Li • Software Engineer • Graduate

Never thought I would be a software developer, but App Academy gave me the skills needed. The curriculum teaches the most popular languages and technologies in the industry, making you a valuable asset to thousands of companies paying competitive salaries.

Gonna make this really blunt - you will sacrifice to do this program. It is extremely demanding, requiring 80+ hours each week just to keep your head above water. There is always more to learn and more to master.

Give the program 100% and you will become a great developer. There are developer jobs in every country you would want to live in, it's a great skill to have.

You will crush interviews - every company I visited was thorougly impressed with my abilities. Many grads go to very recognizable companies!

Up to you, but with a deferred tuition model, the risk is almost completely eliminated!

• Kyle Jeon • Student

When I first heard about bootcamps that can help you switch careers and become a web developer, I was very hesitant to commit. After all, 3 months doesn't seem like a long enough time to learn enough to become a true professional.

I did a lot of research, and the conclusion I came to was this: there are three bootcamps worth your investment. The three I would say are Hack Reactor, Fullstack Academy and App Academy. Hack Reactor is exclusive to SF, so I narrowed my choices to Fullstack and App Academy. I chose App Academy over Fullstack (accepted into both) for a variety of reasons. The first was that the program seemed like the most in-depth and fast-paced. The second and most important was that they have a delayed tuition. You only pay a deposit, and you pay a % of your first year's salary after graduation, meaning that App Academy puts their money where their mouth is. If you don't get paid, they don't get paid. I doubt that without such a structure I would've been willing to attend a bootcamp.

I completed the program, and I can easily say it was the hardest 3 months, at least intellectually, of my life. But It was completely worth it, as I learned new limits of how much information I could absorb in such a short amount of time. If you have the confidence and work ethic, then App Academy has the path.