app-academy-logo

App Academy

Austin, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Online, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle

App Academy

App Academy is an immersive 12-week Ruby-focused web development course with campuses in San Francisco and New York City. App Academy has a full stack curriculum covering Ruby on Rails, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, algorithms, data structures, and React/Redux. Students interested in this intense program should expect to put in 90-100 hours per week. The first 9 weeks of the course are focused on learning web development skills in multiple languages, and the final 3 weeks are a robust job-search curriculum. App Academy’s curriculum is largely based upon a hands-on approach; students spend about 90% of their time pair programming and 10% in lectures, encouraging the sharing of knowledge while also making coding more social.

Interested applicants should expect to submit an application, complete 2 coding challenges, complete an interview and receive an admission decision a few days after the interview. Prospective applicants can also enroll in AppAcademy’s Bootcamp Prep programs to increase their chances of admission from 2% to more than 40%.

App Academy's job search curriculum focuses on algorithms, interview skills, and other technical interview focused skill sets. Upon graduation, students will have a portfolio of real-world projects to show to prospective employers. App Academy offers a deferred payment plan where students are only required to pay tuition if they secure a job upon graduation. Students are only required to pay a placement fee if they secure a job upon graduation. App Academy also has two other pricing models for students — a completely upfront model and a hybrid model that is a combination of the deferred and upfront models.

Recent App Academy Reviews: Rating 4.7

all (665) reviews for App Academy →

Recent App Academy News

Read all (25) articles about App Academy →
  • App Academy Open

With App Academy Open you’ll get free access to App Academy’s entire in-person full-stack curriculum, which has placed thousands of people in software development jobs. App Academy is ranked as the #1 coding bootcamp in the US and, since 2016, has placed more software developers at Google than UC Berkeley. On the Free plan you’ll get over 1,500 hours of material (readings, videos, projects), an interactive coding environment and community features like chat to keep you connected with thousands of prospective developers across the globe.
  • Bootcamp Prep

HTML, JavaScript, Node.js
    LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Bootcamp Prep is a 4 week, part-time course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    Refund / GuaranteeYour full Bootcamp Prep tuition will be subtracted from your initial deposit if accepted into App Academy's full time program under the deferred payment plan.
  • Bootcamp Prep Online

HTML, JavaScript
    OnlinePart Time
    Bootcamp Prep is a part-time, online course, guaranteed to get you accepted at the most selective coding schools or your money back. The program will teach you up to an advanced level of JavaScript, and instructors provide you with 1-on-1 mock interviews, as well as assist with your individual bootcamp applications.
    DepositNone
    Tuition PlansStandard: $995 Plus: $1795 Premium: $3795
    Refund / GuaranteeMoney back guarantee if you aren't accepted into a top coding bootcamp
    Minimum Skill LevelNo experience required
    Prep WorkNone required
  • In-Person Full Stack Web Development

LocationSan Francisco, New York City
    Over twelve weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with Ruby on Rails, JavaScript, and React/Redux. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $3k will be required.
    Lending partnership with Climb Credit available for the Upfront tuition option.
    Tuition Plans$17,000 Upfront Plan $23,000 Hybrid Plan ($9k upfront, $13k deferred) $28,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $3k deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed placement under the Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.
  • Online Full Stack Web Development

Over 24 weeks, you'll learn all the skills needed to begin a career as a web developer. Through hands-on projects, we train you to build web applications with JavaScript, Ruby on Rails, React/Redux, SQL, and HTML/CSS. Prior programming experience isn't required. However, you will need lots of tenacity and a passion for building cool stuff.
    DepositOnly applicable for the Deferred tuition option, a deposit of $500 will be required.
    Tuition Plans$20,000 Upfront Plan $27,000 Hybrid Plan ($10k upfront, $17k deferred) $30,000 Deferred Plan (Fully deferred with a $500 deposit)
    Refund / GuaranteeGuaranteed job under Deferred tuition option.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer literacy
    Prep WorkProvided at each step by App Academy.

• $500 App Academy Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive App Academy scholarship for $500 off tuition!

Offer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship.

• In-Person Full Stack Web Development (San Francisco)
    • In-Person Full Stack Web Development (New York City)

• Ade • Student

App Academy has been great so far in terms of having a structured environment for learning and partially teaching yourself to code. TAs provide assistance along this journey as well as classmates. It's a lot of work and can be stressful at times but other classmates and TAs provide a great support system. Material taught in the curriculum is good as it's adapted to the current trends in the industry. It's very intensive but if you have the determination, you get through the course and attain the end goal of starting a new career in tech.

• Geewon Lee • Software engineer • Student

This intense 13+ weeks bootcamp has changed my life completely. Before starting, just know basic Ruby and Javascript, I didn't think I would be able to create wek/mobile applications on my own. However, after completing the course, I am able to create a full stack application on my own and further, I am able to learn a completely new stack and still produce a fully functional application. They don't spoon feed you the material but they make sure that you are capable of adapting to new technology. However, job search could be better.

• Student • Graduate

App Academy gives you the tools needed to change your life. The first thing to get out of the way is that the course is not easy. The 80-100 hours a week that they estimate you will spend on the course is not an exaggeration. You can easily expect to spend 9am-10pm 7 days a week at App Academy, but it is worth it in the end. The course takes so much time out of your life because they want to give you everything that will make you successful in the world of software development after graduation. They not only give you the coding tools, but they also spend copious amounts of time teaching you how to succeed in the interview stage and really show your self off!

• Dave • Software Developer • Graduate

I chose App Academy over other available boot camps, including Hack Reactor, for two primary reasons.

The Job Placement program and tuition plan create a strong alignment with student interests. I came from working in small business finance, and one of the design choices we worked to popularize is royalty based financing, where the payback to investors is based on business performance. The same is true at App Academy where you pay tuition based on your first year's salary. This gives App Academy a strong and clear incentive to prepare you for the current job market in software development.

I also picked a/A because of their Jump Start program, a two week evening class in Ruby. I took the course in San Francisco. It uses test driven problem solving and Repl.it to make picking up Ruby a straightforward and pleasant exercise. I had such a good time learning Ruby this way, that I decided to take the full course.

No regrets.

• Torah Oglander • software developer • Graduate

tldr; I learned a ton, and I did get a great job, but not in San Francisco.

I was in the November 2016 cohort at App Academy. I was very motivated, and did a lot of self-study before I arrived. In fact, my situation was a bit unique because I had intended to join an earlier cohort, but then had to drop out after just a couple of days due to having a broken finger. That false start may have given me a false sense of security, because I had a good idea of what the first week or two would be like.

I knew that we would cover a lot of material quickly, and I was very excited to accelerate my learning. The first half of the curriculum focuses on Ruby, data structures, SQL and Rails. In my opinion that section of the curriuclum is pretty polished. Concepts were presented clearly and the work was challenging, but mostly doable. However, the idea that you might need to put in 80hrs + per week was no joke. The more time you put in, the more you get out of this course.

The second half of the curriculum was more focused on front end development including JavaScript, React and Redux. This part of the curriculum was not as well put together, and now that I have a deeper understanding of how React, Node, Redux, and Webpack all work together, I feel that some parts of that section could have been presented a little more clearly.

Then comes a section of the curriculum where you build some projects. These were really fun ideas, but unfortunately seemed a bit too rushed. Now that I am working as a professional software developer, though, I also appreciate the pace that we were pushed at, since that was good practice for a genuine job.

During the job search, I learned that some students paid a slightly lower upfront fixed fee rather than a percentage of their first year salary. In retrospect that would have been a good option for me, since I was not 100% determined to end up in San Francisco. Yes S.F. is a great town to live and work in if you are a software engineer or developer, but the competition for entry-level positions is pretty intense there. I had much better luck looking for work outside of San Francisco.

After I started getting offers in another city, staff from App Academy still helped coach me on how best to negotiate with my new employer. They showed genuine concern for my career outcome, and that is why I give them 4 stars for job-search assistance. They don't really help you find a job, though. Instead, they just help you get ready to go find one yourself.

All in all it was a great learning experience. I met amazing, talented, and motivated people who inspired me and helped me successfully transition my career. I am pretty happy with the outcome of my App Academy experience.

• Stats Don't Lie
    - 7/26/2017
    Amy • Software Engineer • Graduate

When I told my parents I was interested in pursuing software development, that I found a good program that boast awesome stats, they (and everyone else I knew) was pretty skeptical. To be honest, even I was skeptical. But, I took a leap of faith and am so glad I did.

App Academy is a boot camp (seriously). You'll average 60-80+ hours a week grinding through problems and concepts. You will have little to no social life. You will dream (okay, have nightmares) about code.

In exchange, you will become a better critical thinker and problem solver than you ever thought possible. You'll become acquainted with very exceptional people, and your mind will be blown away by people's genius. At the end of the long and challenging road, you'll walk away with a six figure salary, and will get paid to just solve puzzles all day.

All in all, App Academy was the single best decision I've made for myself as a full-fledge adult.

• Ryan Odening

The deferred payment model is unparalleled, and it baffles me that other bootcamps have still not caught on. It really helps you feel/understand that they are on your side to get you a job! A high-paying job at that! I just got hired, actually, by a company I really enjoy with an offer I really loved!
    Great environment, great people, a ton to feel proud of, great results! What more could you ask for?

• Benjamin N • Student
    This program is a must if you have little to no coding knowledge! Over the 4 week course period App Academy gives you all the tools and knowledge necessary to succeed. You have access to all notes, practice problems, solutions, and explanations ONLINE! This really helped me study at home and focus while I was in class. Also the instructors Alvin and Chase rock! Super knowledgeable and patient. They're always looking to help and make sure you understand the material. 10/10 would recommend to anyone looking to get into coding.
  • Monique • Graduate

I started the BootCamp Prep Course after debating whether to apply straight to App Academy or not.  It was definitely the best decision ever. The course really shapes your coding skills (especially when you have only a basic coding knowledge like me) and allows you to be ready for any Coding Boot Camp interview you might want to take when taking it seriously.

Boot Camp Prep is really challenging and the tools and 'tips' provided by the instructors are really valuable. I haven't regretted it for a second!

• Deveren Fogle • Student

I have to admit that going down the path of changing careers is daunting, and really scary. Learning how to code adds another layer of stress. So I really liked how App Academy began our course by stressing how they understood how difficult it can be, but not to give up. It seems so trivial, but for a team of "techies" to believe it's such an important topic to cover shows their compassion  in teaching people of all skill levels. That put me at ease early in the course.

I'm a beginning coder, with very limited experience so I had a lot of catching up to do to prepare for my bootcamp interviews. However, after these last four weeks in the bootcamp prep course, I am confident that I can tackle most problems, and for those I don't know, at least show my interviewer that I'm able to think like a software engineer by fully explaining my thought process.

I've learned so much more in these 4 weeks than I ever would have been able to on my own in the same amount of time. I simply would not have been prepared to interview, now, however, I'm confident that I'll be accepted into one of the top bootcamps this coming fall. It's not easy, and I really liked how our teacher, Alvin, pulled no punches in forcing us to be clear in our code writing and explanation. It was like being in school all over again, but at a much higher level.

I fully recommend App Academy's Bootcamp Prep, especially for those career changers who need the skills necessary to succeed, not only in interviewing for a top bootcamp. But those interested in succeeding once they are in!

• Tim E • Student

I took the App Academy Bootcamp Prep course and really got a lot out of it.  I couldn't imagine applying for a top tier coding school without having taken this course.  The only experience I had coding previously was from a book about introductory programming.  There’s no way I would’ve been prepared for an interview just from the book alone.  One piece of advice for how to succeed in bootcamp prep is to take the pre-course work seriously.  It’s important to hit the ground running because one lesson builds on the next.  Another thing to remember is how important practicing coding in your free time is.  Watching videos and attending lectures helps, but the best way to improve is by sitting in front of a computer, coding and debugging programs.  It’s even better to practice with a partner in your free time.

• Review of AA
    - 6/21/2017
    wancong zhang • full-stack engineer • Graduate

Overall, AppAcademy was a great experience because despite of how difficult and sometimes unpleasant it is, it gets the job done. You can’t beat the deal of becoming a full-stack engineer earning 100K after merely 3 months of training.

Campus - I attended the campus in NYC. It has great facility. Obviously there are enough computers for everyone, and there are private rooms for people to do phone screens and whatnot.

Teachers - In general they are responsive, knowledgeable, and dedicated. However, sometimes some of them may act impatient and annoyed at you, which is simply unprofessional and immature given their profession.

Curriculum - The readings are easy to comprehend (until you get to the React/Redux part, which is not well explained). Video content is delivered clearly. The only bad part I can think of is that it is too fast. Sure, the majority of the students still manage to graduate and get high-paying jobs; but if the course had went 10% slower I think the learning experience would be much better, at least for me.

AppAcademy is not perfect, but it is still a great deal for what it offers. I would definitely recommend it to people who want to transition into software development.

• Quite the Journey
    - 6/15/2017
    Tony W • Graduate

Hm, how to describe App Academy? For starters, it's hard. Certainly the most challenging course I've taken. Coming from a non-tech background certainly did me no favors, either, but it is certainly doable. That said, I do wish to stress to applicants that the entire process is a huge commitment. Coding and learning for 12+ hours a day takes its toll and I did not take into account the burnout. I felt truly worn out within the first 2 months. Taking care of yourself is paramount, as the 13 week program is quite the marathon in itself.

That said, going through this program allows you to learn so much. It would have taken me so much longer had I chosen to self-study to get to where I am now. And there's still so much to learn, but I feel properly equipped to get through the job search that soon awaits me.

• Robert Keith • Student

Pros: Learned a lot. Have a solid foundational knowledge that I can build off of. Learned how to teach myself. Have a greater appreciation for computer science. Built some cool projects. Job support. Deferred Tuition.

Cons: Pace is grueling. You literally won't have time to do anything. multiple 100 hour weeks. A few moments of second-guessing your attendence. More than a few moments of desperation / depression.

• The best bootcamp
    - 6/13/2017
    Tu Ngo • Graduate

App Academy Curriculums are so awesome. You can not only learn about software but also practice for job searching. These curriculums are always updated with new materials.  Pair programming is the best part. You will understand faster and deeper when pair with a lot of partners. But it is quite intensive because you have to spend over 90 hours to program and study. Although this experience will provide you best skills for your career.

SPECIAL: Get a $250 tuition credit towards App Academy if you enroll with this link: https://www.appacademy.io/referral_redirect?hash=e07b704d2412e6fb

• Winber Xu • Student

It's a rough course and curriculum, but you get what you put in. Passing assessments and such does not mean you are geared towards success. It's going be difficult even past the 12 weeks of curriculum that they advertise, but they offer full support to everyone who has successfully passed the course and in job hunting. App Academy gives you a very strong foundation to work off of, but you still need to go that extra mile to be successful. Despite the challenging curriculum, it is a fair curriculum if you take the bootcamp seriously and treat as more than just a full-time job.

• Alex Bullen • Student

​Not for the faint of heart or limited of drive, but if you're looking for a program to teach you a whole lot about coding in not a lot of time, you could certainly do a lot worse. The staff is technically minded and eager to help and the deferred payment model aligns company goals with your success, but the hours are long and the processes can be exceedingly grueling at times. If you are considering a coding boot camp, put App Academy up at the top of that list.

If you are looking to get into a bootcamp but want to work on your coding skills first, I can also recommend their bootcamp prep course (either online or in-person). It will provide you some good coding fundamentals that will definitely give you a leg up, wherever you end up (it certainly did for me).

• Tony • Studen • Student

App Academy has been a roller coaster of emotions for me.  A packed schedule with weekly tests that could end your time short any week is not for the faint of heart.  If you decide to attend App Academy make sure you mentally prepare for the adventure.

• Worth it
    - 5/29/2017
    Miles • Student

App Academy was a really great experience. It's crazy to think how much I've learned in so little time. I learned more in the first couple weeks here than i did in months of learning on my own. It is very pair-programming focused, which really helps you develop the ability to talk about code and effectively communicate your technical thoughts. The people here are all awesome too.

App Academy really focuses on the skills you need to become a front-end developer. There is not a ton of theory taught, it is more applications based. The skills you will learn here are still very relevant for all of web-development, but just know you will be learning more front-end skills.

By the end of your time here, you really will be able to build your own applications, and do things you never thought you'd be able to 10 weeks prior. It is not easy, but if you like coding, it is honestly fun. Being able to geek out all day with other people rather than at home struggling to figure things out alone makes this a great experience. Just make sure when you start here you are prepared to put a ton of work in so that you can get the most out of it!

• Stephen • Student

This program is a lot of work. A standard day consists of a lecture in the morning, pair programming with new material during the day, and studying for the next day's material at night. There are weekly assessments, which if you fail two, you may be asked to leave the program. As such weekends are spent primarily studying for those assessments. A lot of the curriculum is provided as reading material or videos which you solo study over night.

This program isn't for everyone and if the above doesn't sound right for you, then this may not be the program for you.

If the above does sound good and you're willing to put in the time and effort, then App Academy is the best way to become a software developer. The curriculum is up-to-date and relevant for the industry, TAs and fellow students are available for support and assistance, and a/A provides an environment that allows you to focus on learning the material. If I'd tried to learn all of this on my own it would have taken me far more time and there's no way I would have been able to stay this focused on the material.

Overall attending App Academy was a great decision for myself and I appreciate everything I was able to learn in such a short amount of time.

• Sean P • Student

Going into App Academy, I heard good things about it, but I was not sure how it would impact me for the future. 12 weeks later, and I could see why App Academy is one of the best bootcamps in America. They have such a structured curriculum and great organization that feels top notch. From the lectures to content that they provide to the TA's that help out, a/A had something for me whenever I needed help.

So if you any of you have any different opinions about considering this place, I would say try it! I am glad I switched careers and going into development. It's not for the light hearted, and I would recommend that you should only do this if you have a passion for this field. It won't be easy, but in the end, you will thank yourself later.

• Yong • Student

tldr: It's worth if you're willing to put in the work. The curriculum and TA's are pretty top notch. You will learn a LOT in a short period of time.

There are many reviews here already, so I'll do a FAQ thing for some of the questions I had when I was applying.

1. Is it really 90 hours per week worth of work?
    Yep, at least for many of us. People's experiences here range from never programmed before app academy to having actual software development experience (rare). But I think it's safe to say for the majority of us, it took up all of our time during the week and (for me) weekends.

2. How to succeed?
    Work hard. Come study in the office if you can, that way you can ask other people questions. Ask questions from TA's, your cohort-mates, etc.. Ask questions.

3. What are the students' backgrounds?
    Most people fall in between professionals looking for a career change, or people straight out of college who decided they didn't want anything to do with their major. Everyone who made it through are extremely hard-working and smart.

4. What do you mean "made it through"?
    You can be dismissed by failing too many assessments. It does put a tremendous amount of stress on the students, however, I feel like I wouldn't have been as motivated as I was without the assessment stress. I do wish they would change the assessment structure to be more project-like though.

5. Can I learn this stuff on my own? Aren't there tons of free material online for this?
    Extremely difficult, impossible in this short amount of time (for me at least). The free resources that I used seemed to go from doing for loops to "hey now go make a project". It's very easy to run into a bug or a question that you can't figure out when learning on your own. It's also very easy to give up. You won't have TA's to ask questions or give you feedback. When I was trying to learn this on my own, it was like running through a wall. At least at a/A, you got like 60 other people running through the same wall with you and the TA's to help.

• Awesome Course
    - 5/27/2017
    Warlin • Student

The instructors Alvin & Chase are simply amazing, they both deliver the material in a way where you can get understand it through plain english. Over the four weeks in Bootcamp prep, I was really insecure about my coding skills but towards the end it was a great boost to help me be confident in the way I asess problems. I really recommend this program if you're really serious about your career and getting into any bootcamp. a/A rocks!

• Brikend • Student

This is a great course to take if you'd like extra preparation before applying to the various programming bootcamps out there, but it's especially helpful when applying to App Academy.

The course is structured so that you get a sense of what the fullstack immersive program is like. There are assessments every Monday and Friday, and pair programming is a big part of the curriculum; you are given problem sets to work on with a newly assigned partner almost everyday. App Academy's immersive program is heavily pair-programming oriented, which is something that I really look forward to, so I love the fact that Bootcamp Prep gave us a sense of what that will be like.

I would also recommend this course to anyone who just wants to learn the fundamentals of the JavaScript programming language. The course is four weeks long, and by the very end you will feel comfortable enough with your knowledge of JS to take what you've learned and apply it elsewhere.