zip-code-wilmington-logo

Zip Code Wilmington

Wilmington

Zip Code Wilmington

Zip Code Wilmington offers two full-time, 12-week bootcamp programs focused on Java and Data Engineering and Analytics in Wilmington, Delaware. Founded in 2015, Zip Code Wilmington gives students the technical, interpersonal and leadership skills needed to secure a competitive job in technology and increase their earning potential. Students attend classes Monday through Friday and put in between 80-100 hours a week.

The core Java program teaches object-oriented programming, design patterns, Git, test driven development, project management methodologies, and clean coding principles.

Our Data Engineering and Analytics program, launched in March 2020, focuses on data engineering methods and processes, database setup, and R programming with an introduction to Python.

In addition to technical training, over the course of 12 intense weeks, students will participate in professional development workshops which include resume writing, networking and mock interviewing.

Zip Code Wilmington instructors are highly skilled programmers with industry experience building real, scalable software. From startups to Fortune 500’s, Zip Code Wilmington partners with a host of companies in the surrounding area including M&T Bank, JPMorganChase, CSC, Guru and Marlette Funding. After completion of the program, Zip Code Wilmington assists with placing qualified graduates into a full-time role at a partner company.

Zip Code Wilmington looks for passionate self-starters with grit, tenacity and a fierce love of problem-solving. While previous coding experience is not required, we recommend that applicants familiarize themselves with the languages and start preparing early. The admissions  process consists of an online application, timed coding assessment, interactive group activity and in-person interview. Students pay $3,000 once accepted into the program and the remaining balance is paid by corporate partners if hired for a direct-hire job, along with completing 26 work weeks of employment with the company. Zip Code Wilmington offers financial assistance through scholarships and stipends for qualified candidates, including active duty service members, their spouses, reservists and veterans.

Recent Zip Code Wilmington Reviews: Rating 4.98

all (64) reviews for Zip Code Wilmington →

Recent Zip Code Wilmington News

Read all (17) articles about Zip Code Wilmington →
  • Data Engineering & Analytics

R, Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Data Structures, Python
    LocationWilmington
    Deposit3,000
    ScholarshipZip Code Wilmington offers needs-based scholarships and stipends to income qualifying candidates.
  • Java

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, Java
    LocationWilmington
    Deposit$3,000
    Refund / GuaranteeIf the student finishes the course and completes a paid 6 months apprenticeship with one of our partner organizations, the parter organization will cover the remaining $10,000 cost of the students tuition.
    Prep Work80-150 hours
  • Life-changing!
    - 1/25/2016
    Wayne H. • Computer Programmer • Graduate

Zip Code Wilmington is a tough, no-holds-barred bootcamp for aspiring Java Developers. We didn't spend ninety days figuring out HTML and CSS—we worked with real, cold, hard Java.

The experience was fantastic and Zip Code fully supports its graduates in finding gainful employment. The entire inaugural class, including myself, was placed in local paid apprenticeships. Zip Code not only provided us with the technical skills we needed to get software jobs, but also the career coaching and interview skills needed to complement employers' interest.

Tariq Hook, Froilan Miranda, and David Ginzberg are not only phenomenal instructors but also well-seasoned, tried and true software engineers. The main focus of the course is Java, but there is a healthy dose of Javascript and several other auxillary technologies that developers use in the workforce. The course is excellent because it teaches students core skills that can be applied to any development environment. Instead of focusing on a particular technology (other than Java), Zip Code's instruction style focuses on principles rather than the deep quirks of a particular stack. We may have learned Git, for example, but we would have no trouble getting up to speed on SVN if that's what the workplace required. Several of us are working in entirely unfamiliar stacks but the underlying principles Mr. Hook, Miranda, and Ginzberg taught us have given us the ability to adapt and thrive.

Melanie Augustin, the Director of Corporate Partnerships at Zip Code, did an absolutely fantastic job at coordinating apprenticeships with the employing partner companies, but also coached us rigorously on our interview skills and made sure our resumes were in tip-top shape before we sent them out to be reviewed by potential employers. This career coaching without a doubt significantly contributed to the success of the first cohort.

Zip Code Wilmington is a great start if you are looking to jump into software development. It has been an entirely worthwhile experience where I not only had a lot of fun and made a lot of cool developer-friends to network with, but I also got a job that is satisfying and rewarding. If you're thinking of taking through the program, apply. It just might change your life.

• Anonymous • Software Engg • Graduate

From a stay at home mom with a science background , to a software engineer in 3 months ....... sounds almost impossible! But that's my story  !
    This was my dream , I was not sure how I would achieve it , given the big gap in my career , but Zip Code Wilmington made that almost impossible dream, come true.

Zip Code Wilmington is not for the weak and faint hearted ! It is an intense 12 week bootcamp which challenges you daily and will push you to the limits , you never knew you could survive . But they don't just push, they help you and guide you and encourage you in every possible way. They have a wonderful set of extremely talented faculty and staff members who are always available 7 days a week /24 hours a day with advice, training, any help , even a hug ! Another very valuable asset of Zip Code is the ever helpful Alumni. Their help, advice and encouragement is so valuable. They help us any time we need help with assignment or any learning . They grill us and prepare us with countless rounds of mock interviews . Their advice helped us during Zip Code and even after that ! Today at my work place our Alumni are still our mentors, always available for advice and help.

I am thankful to all the faculty and staff for believing in me, encouraging me and supporting me in every possible way .
    Zip Code Wilmington made me realize that, if we have the desire to achieve a goal and are willing to work hard, nothing is Impossible. My motto during the whole 12 weeks was "Failure is not an Option". Zip Code Wilmington challenged us daily and taught us skills that helped us  excel at interviews and get multiple job offers !
    I don't have adequate words to express my gratitude to this wonderful group of educators and staff who work tirelessly to help us achieve our dreams !

Joining ZipCode was absolutely the best decision that I have ever made  !

• Anonymous • Software Engineer • Graduate

I entered Zip Code having worked in general construction and labor, and 4 months later I am fully employed as a software engineer.
    It was one of the most difficult things I have ever done. The community of alumni and students is amazing, the support system that is in place at Zip Code is one of the only reasons I was able to make it through such a gruely course.
    I feel that what really separates Zip Code from any other Coding Camp is the way they prepare you for jobs - Interview training, resume reviews, talks with industry specialists and job recruiters. The support from the staff from day one to prepare us for what it takes to get a job in this industry was amazing.

Disclaimer:
    5 days a week in the class room, 10-12 hours per day, including Saturday and Sunday at home...it was intense, but worth every minute. You will be worked hard, instructors will not hold your hand and spoon feed you information, but with determination and hard work - you will change your life in a few months.

To this day, I feel very blessed to have been given the opportunity to participate in this amazing program. First off, we were selected from among 250 applicants to give a cohort of around 25 students so it is very competitive. Secondly, the instruction and support we received throughout the program was unmatched, the faculty and staff really do care about your success and will go above and beyond to ensure that you get the very most out of the program. Finally, while the support and structure is there to almost guarantee placement in a job opportunity, it's not a given. Based on my experience you must be 100% sure that you are willing to commit and invest in yourself to see the program through and level up as much as you possibly can prior to interviews which come during the final weeks of the program. As of now, 22/25 of my classmates got placed with really good jobs after 3 months. You can't argue with those results!

There are 3 things that you will get by investing yourself into this program:

1. You will get cutting edge skills to begin a journey as a software developer

2. You will get constant exposure to employers, building a network and "putting a face with a name", and in most cases these are top leaders and hiring managers for those companies

3. You will grow as person, a major theme for success in software development is having the right attitude and the staff "meet you right where you are" and help you to make any adjustments that you will need to be successful in a corporate setting.

Zip Code is the full package, hands down!! It's a special place that anyone given the opportunity to participate in will remember for the rest of their lives. Also, all your fellow students and colleagues will be great people!! Wishing you the very best and hope you apply.

My background before:

Worked as a Chemist in academia, Zip Code Wilmington helped me to make a transition into my current role as an application developer at J.P. Morgan.