zip-code-wilmington-logo

Zip Code Wilmington

Wilmington

Zip Code Wilmington

Zip Code Wilmington offers two full-time, 12-week bootcamp programs focused on Java and Data Engineering and Analytics in Wilmington, Delaware. Founded in 2015, Zip Code Wilmington gives students the technical, interpersonal and leadership skills needed to secure a competitive job in technology and increase their earning potential. Students attend classes Monday through Friday and put in between 80-100 hours a week.

The core Java program teaches object-oriented programming, design patterns, Git, test driven development, project management methodologies, and clean coding principles.

Our Data Engineering and Analytics program, launched in March 2020, focuses on data engineering methods and processes, database setup, and R programming with an introduction to Python.

In addition to technical training, over the course of 12 intense weeks, students will participate in professional development workshops which include resume writing, networking and mock interviewing.

Zip Code Wilmington instructors are highly skilled programmers with industry experience building real, scalable software. From startups to Fortune 500’s, Zip Code Wilmington partners with a host of companies in the surrounding area including M&T Bank, JPMorganChase, CSC, Guru and Marlette Funding. After completion of the program, Zip Code Wilmington assists with placing qualified graduates into a full-time role at a partner company.

Zip Code Wilmington looks for passionate self-starters with grit, tenacity and a fierce love of problem-solving. While previous coding experience is not required, we recommend that applicants familiarize themselves with the languages and start preparing early. The admissions  process consists of an online application, timed coding assessment, interactive group activity and in-person interview. Students pay $3,000 once accepted into the program and the remaining balance is paid by corporate partners if hired for a direct-hire job, along with completing 26 work weeks of employment with the company. Zip Code Wilmington offers financial assistance through scholarships and stipends for qualified candidates, including active duty service members, their spouses, reservists and veterans.

Recent Zip Code Wilmington Reviews: Rating 4.98

all (64) reviews for Zip Code Wilmington →

Recent Zip Code Wilmington News

Read all (17) articles about Zip Code Wilmington →
  • Data Engineering & Analytics

R, Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Data Structures, Python
    LocationWilmington
    Deposit3,000
    ScholarshipZip Code Wilmington offers needs-based scholarships and stipends to income qualifying candidates.
  • Java

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, Java
    LocationWilmington
    Deposit$3,000
    Refund / GuaranteeIf the student finishes the course and completes a paid 6 months apprenticeship with one of our partner organizations, the parter organization will cover the remaining $10,000 cost of the students tuition.
    Prep Work80-150 hours
  • Nazhir • Software Engineer • Graduate

As a student straight out of high school I knew what I wanted to do when it was time to start my career, so I did a year at college but it just wasn't enough! I felt as though I wasn't learning the things I needed and at the pace I wanted to. So I took it into my own hands and began looking for a better solution and  I came across an ad for Zip code Wilmington through a friends facebook. It was a video explaining Zip code was this affordable, fast track, challenging boot camp(too good to be true I thought to myself) so I decided to reach out to my friend and he said it was true so I took it upon myself and applied and out of the 31 that got in out of 300 or so applicants I was accepted. I've learned so much over these past three months it's almost unbelievable. Zip code will give you that foundation to do whatever you want as a programmer so I highly recommend it myself as of completing it.

• Awsome
    - 12/5/2016
    Jalisa • Software Engineer • Graduate

I was in the September cohort and it ended in December. I had to leave school due to financial reasons before I found Zip Code. I thought Zip Code was too god to be true, but I applied anyway because it was free to apply. It was the best decision of my life. I am now a full time software engineer at JPMorgan Chase. I went to being a server making 2.25 an hour to a developer making 20x's that. If you are interested in Zip Code do it!

• Amazing
    - 10/11/2016
    Rob Kelley • Student

This is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I taught myself some languages and had 10 years of experience using them personally. But after taking this course, I've learned 5x as much about programming as I had in the past 10 years.  I landed an amazing job paying 3x what I was getting before this course.  I have recommended it to many friends who are looking to get into this field.

• Evan Maron • Software Developer • Graduate
    ZipCode Wilmington was, without a doubt, the hardest thing I have ever done. I remember all of the nights spent awake and bleary eyed staring at my own broken code, or pouring over some mystic text explaining what it was to write a program in Java. I recall quite a few moments of total despair and frustration, where I was sure I had made a grave mistake, or that I had somehow fooled everyone into thinking I could pull off the impossible and actually become a software developer. For all those moments, I also remember the amazing instructors, who were patient when I needed time, and commanding when I strayed off into a rabbit hole of messy functions and bad code. The moments when something would run successfully, despite the mess of code it took to make it, and the sudden urgency to improve and clean that code to make it better, and in turn, to improve myself so that next time it would take less time and would be brilliantly written from the start. With a curriculum shaped by the employers within the local community and some of the largest financial instituitions in the world, what you learn here is exactly the skillset to place yourself in a meaningful position doing software development. The challenge is not easy, and many times you'll doubt yourself, but I know that without a shred of doubt, ZipCode Wilmington was the hardest thing ive ever done, and I have cherished every moment of my time there.
  • Aiyani Martin • Software Developer • Graduate

Zip Code Wilmington is the pinnacle of what every coding boot camp should be. It promises the world, and it delivers in every possible way.  This school has changed my life and brought me from a minimum-wage retail associate to a professional software developer in twelve weeks. Twelve weeks of Zip Code gave me everything I needed to get a job that most people would say was only possible after four years of college.

I simply cannot say it enough. Zip Code Wilmington has been the greatest educational experience of my life. It has challenged my mind, pushed my limits, and built a confidence and trust in myself that never existed before. If you have any desire toward technology and the grit to match, do not hesitate to apply as soon as possible. You will never regret it.

• Manjusha • Graduate

Zip Code Wilmington has set me on a path in my career that I have been trying to achieve for years! After learning from friends about this new coding school in town, one fateful day in April, I decided to make the phone call that would change my life. Getting admission to the course was the first big challenge I faced. There were four levels of interviews and technical challenges that we had to clear before getting admission to the course. Having prior coding experience would be helpful, but is not a must. What they are looking for is a passion to learn programming, and logical thinking and problem solving abilities.

As an SAP consultant in my previous life, I did have functional IT experience, but had never done programming per se. I was eager to learn and was thrilled to hear that I had been selected! Being one of 25 selected from a pool of more than 250 applicants, I knew going in that the next 3 months were going to change my life! Every waking hour (which would be 18-20 hrs, no exaggeration!) of the next 12 weeks were spent learning core Java, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, frameworks like Spring MVC, Angular JS, app building, just to name a few. Core Java is the skill that is the most in demand in today’s industries, and you will come out of this boot camp very well prepared to deal with the challenges you will face as a Java application developer, and also equipped with the wherewithal and confidence to learn new languages and skillsets.

You will get to meet the big wigs of the banking industry based in Wilmington, who are eager to hire from Zip Code. There are many opportunities to meet and network with hiring managers and senior executives from most of the major companies in Wilmington. There are talks every week by speakers from companies like JP Morgan, Bank of America, Amazon etc. that give you an insight into their hiring process and work culture.

And last but not least is the amazing group of people at Zip Code that make this boot camp possible—This is a group of people solely dedicated to helping you ascend the career ladder as a software engineer! Tariq, Froilan and David are exemplary teachers and will push you to do your best, even beyond your wildest expectations! And, the heart and soul of Zip Code is Melanie, the Head of School, who will move heaven and earth to make sure you are gainfully placed in a job/apprenticeship after the boot camp. She went the extra mile to get me interviews with companies that I was keen on joining, and ultimately, getting placed with Bank of America, made my dream come true! I would highly recommend this boot camp to anyone with the passion, drive and perseverance to work towards your goal of becoming a software engineer in 3 months!

• MIN LEE • Developer

A challenging program that puts it on you to dictate your success. No one is here to spoon feed you. However, what do you get it is an envirnonment that is the breeding ground of underdogs. If you can push yourself through the fatigue, and keep yourself motivated, you will see your efforts bear fruit.

The program curriculum is rock solid. It teaches you the skills that employers want. Then, you can get placed in a job that will make sure you do what you learned. All you have to do is just listen to the teachers and do what they say.

• Nurudeen Lawal • Java Application developer • Graduate

This bootcamp is a tough three month commitment but the results will be worth it and more. Not only does Zip Code Wilmington help you find employment but it provides you with unparalleled networking opportunities and a support network of like minded individuals.

• Nolan Barth • Java Developer • Graduate

Zip Code Wilmington was not only one of the most life-changing courses of study I've ever been through, it also taught me all the skills I needed to become a full time Java Developer.

Most coding bootcamps out there will teach you front-end development languages and frameworks like Javascript (and AngularJS) or Ruby (and Rails). A few out there will teach you database management or testing frameworks.

In my research prior to signing up, I set the explicit goal of learning Java because it is the single most in-demand language for any developer to know. Zip Code Wilmington is not only one of the only schools teaching Java (in addition to Javascript) in a bootcamp format, it was also highly successful in teaching my entire class how to learn new frameworks on an as-needed basis in order to successfully complete any given project on time.

The other big benefit of Zip Code Wilmington's course design is the emphasis on testing. By designing accurate tests for your functions before writing them, you set explicit criteria of what you're trying to accompish with that function, which clarifies what you're trying to do so effectively that it's almost always obvious how it should be accomplished from there.

Zip Code Wilmington is a difficult course to survive. When I applied, more than 250 other applicants applied for the same cohort. Of those 250, the top 30 were selected to participate in the class. Of those 30, 26 made it to graduation. This kind of intensive program takes a lot of grit to survive, but once you're through it, you have the confidence to take on just about any project, because the pacing is almost guaranteed to never be as intense as Zip Code's breakneck grind.

But if you have the grit to make it through, you'll find yourself in a new career path with a decently large (and very active) network of fellow Zip-Coders to ask for help and career advice. The school offers an excellent apprenticeship program that pays well and puts you on the road to success as a Java Developer.

Zip Code has my highest recommendation to anyone with the grit and smarts to handle it.

• Life Changing
    - 7/15/2016
    Wesley T • Software Developer • Graduate

The first thing you should know is this is a NON PROFIT school. They are not here to make money, they are here to help you. That being said, entrance is competitive. You have to put in the work to get in, and put in 3x the work to stay in. Sleepless nights, no free time, lots of stress and doubt. In the end it is only 3 months and totally worth it.

Not only do they teach programming, they teach professional development. They make your resume shine! They teach you how to network. They force you to go to networking events to enforce said skills.

In 12 weeks we went from barely being able to do coding challenges to being able to craft an application, from database to front end. The company sponsers are involved and see this, and want you because of it!

The only way you wont get a job at the end is if you dont put in the effort (which if thats the case you wont make it through) or if you dont want one. When you get a job you will not be in debt to the school as the sponsers pay the rest of your tuition.

Best decision of my life.

Thank you Zip Code Wilmington!

• Dawn Milnamow • Applications Developer • Graduate

There is a bit of magic that goes on at Zip Code Wilmington. The magicians are those who Wayne mentioned in his review, plus the head magician and Head of the School, Anthony Pisapia, who makes sure all the most important people in Delaware are watching and supporting the bootcamp.

A continuous promotion of ZCW is being done daily by all the main actors, and that unrest makes the classroom what it I like to call a glass showcase for employers. The students are on display for the entire course of the 3-month program. Involvement beyond the daily classwork is made known and encouraged by Anthony and the instructors who are on the look out for relevant applications of the work being done in class. Those who volunteer themself for the additional events and projects only help themselves to shine brighter on display among a tireless group of aspiring developers. Meanwhile, more and more local employers sign up to become partners liking the drive they see.

It seems like every day, a new representative of one of the partners and future partners are stopping in to see the magic that is happening each day in the classroom. Because of this, students are getting many opportunities to get to know the employers and the employers are scouting out the individuals they want to give a job to at the end of the course. ZCW gives you what other schools don't--3 months to show a future employer that you are worth their investment. That is what is truly magical about Zip Code Wilmington.

My Background:

I am an alumnus of the first Zip Code class. Before Zip Code I was teaching math in various roles including Long Term High School Math Substitute, and working as a waitress during the summer. I have a Bachelors in Psychology. I chose to go through Zip Code over the option of pursuing a second degree in Information Security as I desired a career in technology. I had minimal experience in HTML/CSS, with no experience in JavaScript and Java prior to the pre-coursework. When I learned about Zip Code, I quit my part-time summer job to focus on the pre-coursework. In the last 3 weeks of the bootcamp I was offered a fulltime software developer position with one of the partner companies, and invited to start immediately upon the course's end. I love the continuous challenges that are presented at work. In my free time, when I am not taking care of my dog, I am taking on additional opportunities to be involved at the firm and giving back to Zip Code and the tech community in various ways. Zip Code gave me the lifestyle I have been searching for, and a clear vision of my future with a series of goals I look to achieve in the upcoming years.

Articles that include things I got to be a part of while at ZCW:

A must read: http://technical.ly/delaware/2015/10/29/zip-code-wilmington-boot-camp-is-no-joke/

• Marzuwq Muhammad • Web Developer • Graduate

A three-month full immersion courses in which I learned Java, JavaScript, as well as 6-month apprenticeship to start fresh with a new career. The instructors and curriculum really pushed us out of our comfort zones and consistently gave us challenging projects while having us follow test driven development, agile methodologies, and supplying us with a steady stream of guest speakers every week within the industry themselves. We actually met a few CTO's from the major financial institutions within the area. Every single graduate from the first cohort (In which I was a member of) received fulltime jobs or 6 month apprenticeships.
    Also the course costs $2000 up front or can be waived based on income. The additional $10000 is payed through from the employer upon student acceptance into an Apprenticeship.