zip-code-wilmington-logo

Zip Code Wilmington

Wilmington

Zip Code Wilmington

Zip Code Wilmington offers two full-time, 12-week bootcamp programs focused on Java and Data Engineering and Analytics in Wilmington, Delaware. Founded in 2015, Zip Code Wilmington gives students the technical, interpersonal and leadership skills needed to secure a competitive job in technology and increase their earning potential. Students attend classes Monday through Friday and put in between 80-100 hours a week.

The core Java program teaches object-oriented programming, design patterns, Git, test driven development, project management methodologies, and clean coding principles.

Our Data Engineering and Analytics program, launched in March 2020, focuses on data engineering methods and processes, database setup, and R programming with an introduction to Python.

In addition to technical training, over the course of 12 intense weeks, students will participate in professional development workshops which include resume writing, networking and mock interviewing.

Zip Code Wilmington instructors are highly skilled programmers with industry experience building real, scalable software. From startups to Fortune 500’s, Zip Code Wilmington partners with a host of companies in the surrounding area including M&T Bank, JPMorganChase, CSC, Guru and Marlette Funding. After completion of the program, Zip Code Wilmington assists with placing qualified graduates into a full-time role at a partner company.

Zip Code Wilmington looks for passionate self-starters with grit, tenacity and a fierce love of problem-solving. While previous coding experience is not required, we recommend that applicants familiarize themselves with the languages and start preparing early. The admissions  process consists of an online application, timed coding assessment, interactive group activity and in-person interview. Students pay $3,000 once accepted into the program and the remaining balance is paid by corporate partners if hired for a direct-hire job, along with completing 26 work weeks of employment with the company. Zip Code Wilmington offers financial assistance through scholarships and stipends for qualified candidates, including active duty service members, their spouses, reservists and veterans.

Recent Zip Code Wilmington Reviews: Rating 4.93

all (74) reviews for Zip Code Wilmington →

Recent Zip Code Wilmington News

Read all (23) articles about Zip Code Wilmington →
  • Data Engineering & Analytics

R, Python, Data Visualization, Data Structures, Data Analytics
    LocationWilmington
    Deposit3,000
    ScholarshipZip Code Wilmington offers needs-based scholarships and stipends to income qualifying candidates.
  • Java

Java, AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript
    LocationWilmington
    Deposit$3,000
    Refund / GuaranteeIf the student finishes the course and completes a paid 6 months apprenticeship with one of our partner organizations, the parter organization will cover the remaining $10,000 cost of the students tuition.
    Prep Work80-150 hours
  • Lauren Green • Data Scientist • Graduate

I was a teacher for 14 years and ready for a new challenge, but intimidated by making a drastic career change and unsure where to start.  Zip Code alleviates so many of these issues.  If you enjoy coding and are willing to give up 3+ months to work as hard as you ever have, then you will be rewarded with amazing opportunities.

Not only does Zip Code give you a solid foundation in Java and Object Oriented Programming, even more importantly it prepares you to get a job through mock interviews, resume work, and many corporate partners.  If you are willing to work, do what they ask of you, take advantage of every opportunity provided to you to practice and learn, then you will have a new career.

• Ned • Full-Stack Software Developer • Graduate

I cannot express how thankful I am to ZCW's instructors and staff for helping me get where I have been trying to go for the past few years. Not only will they teach you the core Java and CS skills you need to succeed, they will put you in front of employers so that you have a chance to show what you know.

There is one catch. ZCW has a 90+% job placement average, but they do not guarantee placement. To be on the better chunk of that statistic, you have to be dedicated to spending 12+ hours each day to studying, coding, and working on your resume. If you don't study, you will not be able to impress a hiring manager with your ZCW-imparted knowledge. If you don't code, you will have no projects to talk about in your interviews and no practical experience to reinforce your study. If you don't work on your resume, you may not even get an interview.

If you want to go through ZCW, you have to be prepared to put in the work. You have to let your friends and family know up front that you will be busy turning your life around. And at the end, if you dedicate yourself to becoming a real software developer, you will come out the other side with the skills to succeed, and you will be in that 90+%.

• Brandon Defrancis • Full Stack Developer • Graduate
    This boot camp does an amazing job teaching you the essentials for a software developer position. Possibly one of the best decisions I have made, truly life changing!
  • Corinne Winarski • Java Developer • Graduate

Zip Code is an amazing bootcamp. The entire staff pride themselves in helping you grow not only in coding but also in networking, interviewing, and resume writing. Before coming to the program I was working in retail and felt stuck. I then applied and went to Zip Code and now I am Java Developer at JP Morgan with worlds of possibilities ahead of me. If you are determined and want to be in the field of software engineering then this is the bootcamp for you. It changed my life and it will change yours too.

• Worth It
    - 6/5/2018
    Katrice • Software Engineer • Graduate

Let me first say, that before you get into the program you are challenged. I was intrigued to apply a year before because an alumni recognized herself as a artist prior to joining Zip Code and that fit my narrative to a "T"! The entry work to get in was definitely challenging for me but every question I had for the staff was answered with a sense of urgnecy and importance it gave me so much confidence to push through the challenges!

When arriving to Zip Code you are constantly reminded about how hard you worked to get there (which is true but can be easily forgotten because of the material). There are instructors from all different levels of knowledge that stay late as well as Alumni that come in to make sure like them, you graduate and truly understand the information. The staff are also there for discussions about what may be challenging you to come up with action plans to help you move forward.

You also become a family with those in your cohort, and to me, it didn't seem like I was a number or a dollar sign to the staff or the instructors. They really wanted you to learn the content and when I got an offer they celebrated with me like I was family.

This program is not easy but you don't want easy, I hope that's why you are reading this. Easy won't get you the career you need. To sum up my experience: It puts a fire inside of you and shows mentally you can get through anything! The skills and relationships I've acquired are priceless and I'm so grateful I had the help of Zip Code to better my life.

Zuul.

• Highly Recommend
    - 6/2/2018
    Kay Fennimore • Software Engineer • Student

Zip Code is an amazing program that I would recommend to anyone looking to get into software development. This 3 month accelerated course will change your life. I selected this program because of the  curriculum and the success rate of their graduates and it did not disappoint.

The actual experience is intense but rewarding and I made some amazing lifelong connections who will all be working in the same field as myself - the network that Zip Code comes with is vast and impressive. If you have the opportunity to apply and attend Zip Code, don’t hesitate!

• Daniel H • Software Engineer • Graduate

i was doing a career 180 and after a lot of due diligence, Zip Code was the “boot camp” I selected to help me break into the software development field.  It was one of the best decisions I have ever made!  This was an intense, immersive experience that you go through with your classmates, instructors, staff and alumni.  You quickly realize the level of knowledge, caring and commitment that everyone has to your success.  I would recommend this program to anyone seriously pursuing a career as a technologist!

• Andrea • Graduate

Zip Code was the best and hardest experience of my life. The interview process and the program are both very challenging and intense but, if you are determined and motivated to succeed, Zip Code provides you with the opportunity that is needed to learn how to code proficiently and to find a career in software development. The best parts of Zip Code are the connections you make with cohort peers, staff, alumni, and professionals in the tech field and its curriculum not only helps you to be a great programmer but helps you become a better you. It truly is a special and unique bootcamp.

I did not have a background in coding (I came from the education field) but I was serious about making it into Zip Code, graduating, and finding a programming job. So, I took a year to save money and to study for the entrance exam. I would recommend a similar approach to any person serious about applying.

• Phenomenal
    - 9/15/2017
    Dennis Kalaygian • Software Engineer • Graduate

Zip Code Wilmington is much more than a crash course in software development. In addition to the technical knowledge and professional guidance that the staff strives to provide each and every student with (which redefined my expectations for bootcamps in general), students are also introduced to a network of developers, consisting of both alumni and professionals (and both, for that matter). The overall experience was incredibly challenging, as attendees are expected to go from presumably no experience in the industry to a professional level in three months. But the staff really helps to both instill confidence and reassure individuals throughout the process.  I liked coding before I started, but by the end of the program it became a passion of mine. I owe a big part of that to this experience, and I hope to see this wonderful program gain traction. I now have a job doing what I love at a great company with awesome people. While I credit a good portion of that to hard work, it would not have been possible without Zip Code. If you're genuinely interested in software development and a career in the industry, I can't recommend this program enough.

• Amazing Program
    - 9/6/2017
    Cameron Sima • Software Engineer • Graduate

Zip Code Wilmington has fully lived up to my expectations. Less than two weeks after my final day of class, I accepted a job offer as a full-time software developer at a great company.

The instruction was phenomenal. There's a lot that can be achieved through self-learning, but what's more difficult is knowing what to learn. Zip Code really came through in that regard, as they teach you all the specific skills and technologies that you need to be successful as a full-stack developer today.

Most impressive of all is the employment assistance aspect of the program. Before applying to Zip Code, I considered a few other bootcamps but ultimately chose against them because I got the impression that you were more or less on your own after graduating. I have a friend who attended one of them, and echoed this sentiment. This is not the case with Zip Code Wilmington. They have staff focused solely on building relationships with employers, helping you with your resume and soft skills, and ultimately getting you hired. They will continue working with you until you get a job. The support is amazing, and I would be surprised if there were another bootcamp out there that went nearly as far in this respect.

A bit of advice I would give to prospective students is to come in with as much coding experience as you can get from places like Codecademy. The more you know going in, the easier it will be.

As far as I can tell, Zip Code Wilmington offers the best cost/benefit ratio of any bootcamp out there, and if you have the opportunity to go, go.

• G Reynolds • Zip Code grad, new BA/Developer • Graduate

Like the other students attending Zip Code Wilmington, I decided to make a change to my career. Once I realized that I was interested in coding and problem solving through software development, I chose Zip Code for a few reasons - its company sponsor support and the success of its alumni.

Say goodbye to your family and friends for three months. They are not kidding when they say that you will be doing 100 hour weeks here! The course is pretty rigorous and fast-paced and there is always some new challenging lab or assignment for you to do. The curriculum closely follows what companies are looking for you to do on the job.  We spanned the full stack with the topics and labs we were given.

During the program, developers from various companies came in twice a week to present some topic or aspect of technology they were working on. It's amazing having the companies come to you to network. Some of these same speakers participate during interview week. The Zip Code Wilmington staff did an excellent job of lining up and bringing in the presenters.

The alumni are another great part of Zip Code Wilmington. They come by after work and on weekends to help get you through your projects. I saw alumni representing all the cohorts, not just the one before mine. There is a real sense of community at Zip Code.

After the course ended we had a week of intense technical interviews. Having the companies come to you for interviews is fantastic! In my opinion this reduces the risk of getting people interested in even looking at your resume after 3 months of coding.

Overall, the experience was intense and there was great camaraderie within the cohort as we all worked hard to get each other over the finish line. I would recommend Zip Code Wilmington to anyone who's willing to put in the time commitment and is looking to change their career and give themselves a chance of being seen and interviewed by companies in the area.