zip-code-wilmington-logo

Zip Code Wilmington

Wilmington

Zip Code Wilmington

Zip Code Wilmington offers two full-time, 12-week bootcamp programs focused on Java and Data Engineering and Analytics in Wilmington, Delaware. Founded in 2015, Zip Code Wilmington gives students the technical, interpersonal and leadership skills needed to secure a competitive job in technology and increase their earning potential. Students attend classes Monday through Friday and put in between 80-100 hours a week.

The core Java program teaches object-oriented programming, design patterns, Git, test driven development, project management methodologies, and clean coding principles.

Our Data Engineering and Analytics program, launched in March 2020, focuses on data engineering methods and processes, database setup, and R programming with an introduction to Python.

In addition to technical training, over the course of 12 intense weeks, students will participate in professional development workshops which include resume writing, networking and mock interviewing.

Zip Code Wilmington instructors are highly skilled programmers with industry experience building real, scalable software. From startups to Fortune 500’s, Zip Code Wilmington partners with a host of companies in the surrounding area including M&T Bank, JPMorganChase, CSC, Guru and Marlette Funding. After completion of the program, Zip Code Wilmington assists with placing qualified graduates into a full-time role at a partner company.

Zip Code Wilmington looks for passionate self-starters with grit, tenacity and a fierce love of problem-solving. While previous coding experience is not required, we recommend that applicants familiarize themselves with the languages and start preparing early. The admissions  process consists of an online application, timed coding assessment, interactive group activity and in-person interview. Students pay $3,000 once accepted into the program and the remaining balance is paid by corporate partners if hired for a direct-hire job, along with completing 26 work weeks of employment with the company. Zip Code Wilmington offers financial assistance through scholarships and stipends for qualified candidates, including active duty service members, their spouses, reservists and veterans.

Recent Zip Code Wilmington Reviews: Rating 4.98

all (64) reviews for Zip Code Wilmington →

Recent Zip Code Wilmington News

Read all (17) articles about Zip Code Wilmington →
  • Data Engineering & Analytics

R, Data Visualization, Data Analytics , Data Structures, Python
    LocationWilmington
    Deposit3,000
    ScholarshipZip Code Wilmington offers needs-based scholarships and stipends to income qualifying candidates.
  • Java

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, Java
    LocationWilmington
    Deposit$3,000
    Refund / GuaranteeIf the student finishes the course and completes a paid 6 months apprenticeship with one of our partner organizations, the parter organization will cover the remaining $10,000 cost of the students tuition.
    Prep Work80-150 hours
  • Amazing Program
    - 9/6/2017
    Cameron Sima • Software Engineer • Graduate

Zip Code Wilmington has fully lived up to my expectations. Less than two weeks after my final day of class, I accepted a job offer as a full-time software developer at a great company.

The instruction was phenomenal. There's a lot that can be achieved through self-learning, but what's more difficult is knowing what to learn. Zip Code really came through in that regard, as they teach you all the specific skills and technologies that you need to be successful as a full-stack developer today.

Most impressive of all is the employment assistance aspect of the program. Before applying to Zip Code, I considered a few other bootcamps but ultimately chose against them because I got the impression that you were more or less on your own after graduating. I have a friend who attended one of them, and echoed this sentiment. This is not the case with Zip Code Wilmington. They have staff focused solely on building relationships with employers, helping you with your resume and soft skills, and ultimately getting you hired. They will continue working with you until you get a job. The support is amazing, and I would be surprised if there were another bootcamp out there that went nearly as far in this respect.

A bit of advice I would give to prospective students is to come in with as much coding experience as you can get from places like Codecademy. The more you know going in, the easier it will be.

As far as I can tell, Zip Code Wilmington offers the best cost/benefit ratio of any bootcamp out there, and if you have the opportunity to go, go.

• G Reynolds • Zip Code grad, new BA/Developer • Graduate

Like the other students attending Zip Code Wilmington, I decided to make a change to my career. Once I realized that I was interested in coding and problem solving through software development, I chose Zip Code for a few reasons - its company sponsor support and the success of its alumni.

Say goodbye to your family and friends for three months. They are not kidding when they say that you will be doing 100 hour weeks here! The course is pretty rigorous and fast-paced and there is always some new challenging lab or assignment for you to do. The curriculum closely follows what companies are looking for you to do on the job.  We spanned the full stack with the topics and labs we were given.

During the program, developers from various companies came in twice a week to present some topic or aspect of technology they were working on. It's amazing having the companies come to you to network. Some of these same speakers participate during interview week. The Zip Code Wilmington staff did an excellent job of lining up and bringing in the presenters.

The alumni are another great part of Zip Code Wilmington. They come by after work and on weekends to help get you through your projects. I saw alumni representing all the cohorts, not just the one before mine. There is a real sense of community at Zip Code.

After the course ended we had a week of intense technical interviews. Having the companies come to you for interviews is fantastic! In my opinion this reduces the risk of getting people interested in even looking at your resume after 3 months of coding.

Overall, the experience was intense and there was great camaraderie within the cohort as we all worked hard to get each other over the finish line. I would recommend Zip Code Wilmington to anyone who's willing to put in the time commitment and is looking to change their career and give themselves a chance of being seen and interviewed by companies in the area.

• The Total Package
    - 4/18/2017
    Dan "Did Better" • Graduate

Zip Code Wilmington has given me a chance to do what I always have wanted to do in my life which is be a programmer. It has given me the tools that I need to accelerate my career and be able to make a difference in the programming community. Not only technology tools but also the professional skills as well. I remember coming into the program thinking how hard could this possibly be, I've coded before, I shouldn't have to sweat it. But, actually being immersed in the code and the different techniques I found it to be challenging but very enjoyable and up-to-date. Zip Code isn't for the faint of heart but if you get the chance to be apart of this amazing program, don't hesitate and take the leap.

• Tony Pajerowski • Java Application Developer • Graduate

Completed the three-month bootcamp from January to March 2017.  Following graduation, successfully secured job as Java application developer with partner company.  This course provided instruction in the areas of core Java, relevant frameworks including Spring, as well as front end development using the Angular 2/ Ionic 2 frameworks.  The level of instruction and immersion has proven to successfully prepare graduates to land a job in the industry, and continue to grow and excel in their careers.

• Latasha Watson

After years of failed attempts at learning programming on my own I decided to go back to school for my second bachelors in computer science. As I prepared to enter a CS program, a friend of mine who has a CS degree told me about Zip Code Wilmington.

With tuition costs at a fraction of a bachelors degree, and an impecable reputation I decided to go for it. Applying to Zip Code Wilmington proved to be a total game changer for me. Zip Code Wilmington prepares its students to take on real-world challenges by refining students critical thinking skills, in-depth coverage of in-demand languages, strict enforcement of industry standards, as well as projects designed to challenge students while building their skillset. They also take job-placement seriously with plenty of networking events and opportunities, resume assistance, elevator pitch assistance, and mock interviews.

Not only does Zip Code Wilmington have an exceptional professorial staff, curriculum and employment opportunities for students, but they are also deeply involved in the tech-community. Zip Code students don't just join an educational institution, they merge into a culture and community of innovators determined to thrive and empower each other.

• The Best
    - 3/1/2017
    Kevin McCann • Student

What an amazing program! Everything about this place is great, from the faculty to the administration to the facilities. I've learned so much in such a short time. From java & spring, to Angular and Ionic2, job placement / training, all the education I've received here has been top notch. The small cohort size allows us to really get to know the other students and learn from each other as well. As a non-profit, I really feel that Zip Code cares about me and my success, not just lining their pockets. You can tell the alumni feel the same, because many of them come back in their free time to help the current students with whatever they are working on, from assignments to personal projects. Many of the alumni are still working at the jobs they found out of the program, so the job placement is not just a temporary internship but a true start to your career.

If you are thinking of attending a coding bootcamp, there's no reason to go anywhere else.

• John Anotnio Collins • Student

I've learned more in the past few months than I have in the past few years before signing up. Not just coding, but people-skills, resume help, and general mentorship from staff and regular visits from employed alumni.

• Mike Cane • Applications Developer • Graduate

When I started Zip Code I had high hopes for a promising career in Software Development. I was hoping for a bit terrible place to work, a better paycheck than anything I e ever had before, and a job that could tolerate going to each day. Well, I've been at my job for over half a year now, the company I work for is actually pretty great, I'm making more than I ever did or think I would, and everyday I arrive to my job and leave my job happy & satisfied. Even the really tough days are actually enjoyable. Not only do I do what I enjoy but I've met some of the greatest people through ZC, and I'm not talking about foreign dignitaries or senators, I'm talking about the people that went through Zip Code with me, the people that went before me, the new students coming in, and especially the staff.

• Incredible Program
    - 1/19/2017
    Zac • Software Developer • Graduate

Challenging and intense but an extremely rewarding program. One of the hardest things I have done. Incredibly fast-paced, averaged over 100 hours a week. They do an amazing job at preparing you for interviews and teaching you the core skills you need to prepare you for a career as a software developer. The teachers care about your success and work with you to help you learn and are often there on weekends / nights. Very thankful for the opportunities and experience I got by going through ZCW, would definitely recommend.

• Abijah

Honestly one of the most challenging programs I have ever taken part of, and I am very greatful that I stuck with it. Apart from the many coding schools out there, Zipcode is a non-profit.. There objective is not to take your money and push you through, but to make sure that you have what it takes to make it through the program and obtain job placement. Let's be honest this is not the ideal means of learning for everyone.  This three month bootcamp covers a lot of material in a small amount of time, and not everyone is capable of learning at that speed. Doesn't mean you can't become a great developer, just means this might not be the right learning enviroment for you. With that being said, the program offers a plethora of resources and assistance, and the knowledge and confidence you will obtain in such a short amount of time is beyond any monetary value. If this is something you are extremely passionate about...GO FOR IT!

• Emily • Software Developer • Graduate

Zip Code Wilmington is the ultimate place from which to launch a career in software development. It's intense and rewarding. I would have never imagined I could learn so much in 3 months! I would whole-heartly recommend Zip Code to anyone serious about starting a career in software development.

• Life-changing
    - 12/9/2016
    Devon Lindsay • Software Developer • Graduate

I was in the business world for years and then most recently working as an artist. I had no previous coding experience before starting Zip Code. And through the amazing instructions and mentorship of the Zip Code team, I am going to embark on a new and exciting career that I love. It was a LOT of hard work and long hours, but they gave me the tools to perservere.