zip-code-wilmington-logo

Zip Code Wilmington

Wilmington

Zip Code Wilmington

Zip Code Wilmington offers two full-time, 12-week bootcamp programs focused on Java and Data Engineering and Analytics in Wilmington, Delaware. Founded in 2015, Zip Code Wilmington gives students the technical, interpersonal and leadership skills needed to secure a competitive job in technology and increase their earning potential. Students attend classes Monday through Friday and put in between 80-100 hours a week.

The core Java program teaches object-oriented programming, design patterns, Git, test driven development, project management methodologies, and clean coding principles.

Our Data Engineering and Analytics program, launched in March 2020, focuses on data engineering methods and processes, database setup, and R programming with an introduction to Python.

In addition to technical training, over the course of 12 intense weeks, students will participate in professional development workshops which include resume writing, networking and mock interviewing.

Zip Code Wilmington instructors are highly skilled programmers with industry experience building real, scalable software. From startups to Fortune 500’s, Zip Code Wilmington partners with a host of companies in the surrounding area including M&T Bank, JPMorganChase, CSC, Guru and Marlette Funding. After completion of the program, Zip Code Wilmington assists with placing qualified graduates into a full-time role at a partner company.

Zip Code Wilmington looks for passionate self-starters with grit, tenacity and a fierce love of problem-solving. While previous coding experience is not required, we recommend that applicants familiarize themselves with the languages and start preparing early. The admissions  process consists of an online application, timed coding assessment, interactive group activity and in-person interview. Students pay $3,000 once accepted into the program and the remaining balance is paid by corporate partners if hired for a direct-hire job, along with completing 26 work weeks of employment with the company. Zip Code Wilmington offers financial assistance through scholarships and stipends for qualified candidates, including active duty service members, their spouses, reservists and veterans.

Recent Zip Code Wilmington Reviews: Rating 4.93

all (74) reviews for Zip Code Wilmington →

Recent Zip Code Wilmington News

Read all (23) articles about Zip Code Wilmington →
  • Data Engineering & Analytics

R, Python, Data Visualization, Data Structures, Data Analytics
    LocationWilmington
    Deposit3,000
    ScholarshipZip Code Wilmington offers needs-based scholarships and stipends to income qualifying candidates.
  • Java

Java, AngularJS, CSS, Git, HTML, JavaScript
    LocationWilmington
    Deposit$3,000
    Refund / GuaranteeIf the student finishes the course and completes a paid 6 months apprenticeship with one of our partner organizations, the parter organization will cover the remaining $10,000 cost of the students tuition.
    Prep Work80-150 hours
  • Luis J. Romero  User Photo
    Luis J. Romero • IT Data Analyst III at TD Bank • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

There’s a lot of bootcamps out there, but Zip Code Wilmington stands out among them all, because everyone there is laser-focused on getting you a job after you finish the program.

The school’s statistics for getting a job after the program are true. My class finished on April 27th, 2018, and the vast majority of us got a job with the school’s financial partners within the first 2-3 weeks after graduating. They’ll teach you everything you need to know technically for your job interviews after the program, from scratch, you don’t need to have prior technical experience or education in computer science. And they also train you on how to interview for the job, for both technical and cultural interviews.

My graduating class was 32 students, and I was only one of very few students who had a technical background (I studied mechanical engineering in college). But I wasn’t one of the first people to get a job. Most of the people who got a job the quickest did not have any prior technical experience or education. Your previous job history or education does not matter. Your age doesn’t matter either. The youngest person in my class was around 22, and the oldest around 43, and they both got jobs within the first 2-3 weeks after finishing the program.

All that you need to succeed in this program is your drive, discipline, and passion to study and learn everything they teach you, for 3 months straight, minimum of 80 hours per week. Suggested 80-100 hours per week. That’s right, 80-100 hours per week, this is at least two full-time jobs per week, for 12 weeks straight, and then you interview right away for another two weeks. You'll have virtually zero social life during this program. You won't have time for it, because you need to study a lot, and learn it very quickly. It’s not easy, and there'll be times when you get really stressed out and worried (again, you'll be learning a lot of new technical stuff, at a very fast pace), but the program works, they get you a job. Everybody that works there will help you. If you can do all of that, and you learn and do everything that they teach you during the program, then you will get a job when you graduate. When you finish the program, you’ll interview for 2 weeks straight, with the financial partners (most of the major banks) coming to you, to interview you. You cannot beat that type of service. And if you get hired by one of the financial partners, they’ll pay 75% of your tuition. It’s an amazing program that works, and it starts your career in the competitive world of software development after 3 months of very hard work.

When I started the program, I hadn’t worked in the engineering field for 8 years. For the last 7 years, I had been doing quality management for technical translations, English to Spanish, but there wasn’t any coding at all. I always thought coding was difficult, but I knew I wanted to get into the field because it’s the future, and it’s changing every industry, every company. I researched various coding bootcamps, and Zip Code Wilmington was the only one that offered all these factors for success: experienced teachers and staff that are invested in you to succeed (their job is to get you a job), financial partners that set the curriculum for the school, so you’re learning what the employers are looking for, and the same financial partners are waiting to interview you and hire you as soon as you finish the program, and they will pay 75% of your tuition if you accept a job with them. Most of the jobs are in Wilmington, DE, or surrounding areas; they could be in parts of Pennsylvania between Wilmington, DE and Philadelphia. I got a job in Mount Laurel, NJ, close to Philly.

So with all of the above, if you want a coding bootcamp to start your career in software development, go to Zip Code Wilmington, it’s your best choice.
  • Jordan Eldridge  User Photo
    Jordan Eldridge • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Zip Code is an amazing program that I would recommend to anyone looking to get into software development. This 3 month accelerated course will change your life. Before Zipcode i was a professional trampoline dunker & worked at a trampoline park. In 3 months zipcode changed my life forever. Its an amazing program and if you have the oppourtunity to apply... DO IT !

• Life Changing
    - 6/5/2018
    Kieran Thomas  User Photo
    Kieran Thomas • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Coming into a program like this can be overwhelming and sometimes even discouraging without putting in the amount of time and work that is required in order to be successful. But the key is to break through and overcome your own barriers. Staying positive and committed not only to the program but to yourself in every endeavor you take on in life will be the drive you need for success. Not only will you learn the basics and core fundamentals of programming at ZCW, you will constantly battle with yourself to test your own ability to learn. For me, the greatest thing I can take away from Zip Code as a graduate is learning the best way for me to be an effective learner. If I could change one thing is would be the choice of IDE used for beginners. IntelliJ is awesome, but it’s coddles beginners to the point of being spoiled with so many useful and reliant features it has built into it. I believe this has been adjusted already and going forward BlueJ will be implemented which I think is a fantastic environment for beginners. Learn to work in teams and get familiar with the people around you. You will be together for over 100 hours a week so be mindful of your neighbors, these people are going to be your family over the next 3 months. Don’t come to this boot camp for the wrong reason. You should attend because coding and technology drives you and you’re passionate about understanding the nature of a computer language. Other than what I have stated already, write at least 50 lines of code a day, learn something new that you didn’t know the day before and just have fun. Don’t let the stress of completing the program hold you back from having fun or block the flow of your learning process. Just remember you’re already investing in yourself by attending such a prestigious school. That being said, stay positive and always ask for help. The instructors don’t know what you don’t know if you don’t make your voice heard.

• Aaron H.  User Photo
    Aaron H. • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Zip Code Wilmington students come from all walks of life, with varying levels of experience with technology/coding, a myriad of prior jobs/careers, and call many different places home, but they all have at least a few things in common; they are, for one reason or another, looking for a fresh start in an industry with almost limitless possibilities, one that has been and will continue to grow exponentially with a high demand for employment; they have a passion for technology and hunger for learning new things; they have confidence in their ability to learn rapidly, yet are humble and keen enough to know what they don’t know and to ask for help; and, lastly, they value the practicality of a short but intensive program with a curriculum laser-focused on exactly what is needed to enter the field, as opposed to the far longer, far more expensive blanket-approach of broader college degrees.

If the above resonates with you, I honestly urge you to look no further than Zip Code Wilmington. Zip Code Wilmington is the whole package; you’ll take part in a fine-tuned programming curriculum as well as professional development training to prepare you for employment in the field. This is all delivered by experts whom have a genuine, personal interest in your success, both during and after the course is completed. This isn’t ‘sugar-coating’ by any means. Yes, Zip Code Wilmington is a business – a non-profit business – but take it from a very skeptical person such as myself, these are authentic people with an honest interest in you and your future. If you come to Zip Code Wilmington ready to work hard, very possibly harder than you’ve ever worked before, the Zip Code Wilmington staff will work equally hard to help you achieve employment with companies that you’d have a very difficult time finding entry-level employment with, were you coming from a computer science bachelors background instead; the networks/connections that Zip Code Wilmington has are absolutely second-to-none. On technicality, Zip Code Wilmington staff can’t ‘guarantee’ employment but, suffice to say, you will get out of the course what you are willing to put into it. That said, assess yourself accordingly and look at the statistics for graduates employed in full technical roles mere weeks after graduating, then draw your own conclusion on what Zip Code Wilmington can do for you.

For me, it was nothing short of life-changing. You’ll see that word thrown around a lot in reviews about this program. As a hardcore skeptic I might not have bought it prior to attending Zip Code Wilmington but now, with the experience behind me, I can say it is a plain and simple fact; Zip Code Wilmington changes lives. I was a correctional officer and also therapeutic staff for local school students on the autism spectrum just prior to attending Zip Code Wilmington. I’ll truncate the explanation as to why I chose Zip Code Wilmington, why I chose the field, as such to say that I rarely felt challenged in the ways I wanted to be; nor fulfilled, nor satisfied, nor even like I fit in my roles that well. I started to feel like I was in the wrong place. After a couple years of introspection and contemplation on that feeling I knew it was time for a change and I eventually found myself at Zip Code Wilmington. I worked harder than I ever had before, made great new friends – forged in the fire of a seriously intense program, just like in real boot camp, which I would know something about too – and, now, here I am with a job that I enjoy and one that I can actually take pride in when I tell people what I do. It also pays twice as well, even at entry-level, as any job I’ve had before, that’s a big perk too.

As I said above: “life-changing” choice. If I have a chance to convince someone of making a choice that I firmly believe can be as life-changing for them as it was for me then I will push for it bluntly; if all of the above resonates with you and you believe you’d be a good fit for the course I think you know what to do next.

Best of luck!

• Timothy Rager  User Photo
    Timothy Rager • Analyst • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

There's plenty of other reviews here talking about the program itself, so I'm going to take a slightly different tack.

It's March 1, 2018 as I write this. I'm preparing to sleep so that I can wake up and go to work tomorrow. Like 150 million other Americans. It's really no big deal- unless it is. Two years ago I was starting a part-time job that paid pennies over minimum wage. No insurance, no hope of advancement, and no other opportunities. Yet, I was thankful because I was, in fact, working.

From October 2015 to March 2016 I had no job, and for that time period and the three months before I had no home.

I took a huge risk on Zip Code. I cannot stress that enough. I had managed to scrimp and save barely enough to pay for the gas I would need to drive from the farm I was staying on in Sussex county each week. To pay for the room I was renting in Wilmington during the work week. To pay for my wife's medical care (what the Medicaid wouldn't cover). I had to quit my job in order to attend. After being homeless for nine months and jobless for six, I was quitting my job. At the time, there was no assistance for low-income students aside from the tuition scholarships (without which I wouldn't have even been able to consider attending). I rationed food like I was back on the streets and ate it cold from the can.

I was granted the moniker, "Hobo" and I adopted it happily because I knew that when you stake everything on an all-or-nothing gamble you have to give it your all and you may still get nothing. It was an unwitting reminder of where I had come from and what potentially awaited me again if I failed.

I worked my ass off. People talk about 100 hours per week. I'm going to break that down into real numbers for you. I arrived at the classroom at 6:30am each day and stayed until 10:00pm each night, Monday through Friday. When I got back to the room I was renting I studied until 1:00am. I did this five days a week, returning to the farm on weekends to see my family and do what work I could to offset the cost of board there.

That's only 92.5 hours.

You have to more than want this- you have to be starving for it. You need to know that not only is failure not an option, but that it is completely unthinkable. You need to understand that you can give your all and still find yourself not working for weeks or potentially months after the program ends.

But if you stick with it...

If you stay the course, hold steady, and keep that hunger... if you are humble enough to internalize what the instructors, staff, and alumni say... if you are categorically unable to comprehend the meaning of quitting, of giving up...

When I filed my taxes for 2017 my gross income was roughly $6,000 for the year.

I'll have made more than that in my first MONTH working the job I've earned after going through the Zip Code program.

Reviews use the terms, "Life-Changing" and "Transformational". They're right, but those words are so inadequate. You will never forget your time with your cohort. You will make friends, and you may even make family. You become part of a group that all battled through the trenches with you. You develop your own internal jokes and behaviours that make no sense to those that didn't go through it. You have a sense of shared identity with people that you've never met. Having been raised in a military and police family, I can honestly say that it's very similar in a sense. Zip Coders, like servicemen and -women, have their own easy camaraderie.

So while I need to wake up early and drive to an office building where I'll sit at a desk for ten hours or so (which sounds like a long work day but feels like shameful slacking after the hours I pulled at Zip Code), I really can't complain. Rain is falling from the sky and winds are gusting upwards of 60mph but I'm inside, warm, and looking towards the future with an emotion that feels odd and alien.

I think it may be optimism mixed with satisfaction.

--"Hobo", aka "Fedora"

• Best decision ever
    - 2/28/2018
    Lina  User Photo
    Lina • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

When they said this is a hard program and you will work 100 hours a week, they are not joking. It's very challenging but it's all worth it in the end. During this program, you will learn a lot of practical skills that you can apply on the job, which you might not even get that experience by going through a 4 year college. You will succeed if you spend effort to truly understand and learn more in depth of the class material on your own. Instructors are really helpful, also don't hesitate to get help from your classmates too. It's a learning experience for both party. Zip Code has a collaborative team environment, we do pair programming on most of the projects. Alumni often will stop by after work to help out the current cohort.

We are not only learning about programming languages and its frameworks, we also have industry experts to speak about different topics relate to software development twice a week. Not to mention, the staff at Zip Code work hard to help you with future employment, but you also have to work hard to earn it! It's a great program especially for those who need a little push and are not productive on learning on their own schedule, I learned more in a week at the program than on my own for a few months.

• Life Changing!!!
    - 2/27/2018
    Y.Z. Cheema  User Photo
    Y.Z. Cheema • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I found Zip Code Wilmington by accident. I have always had an interesting in computer programming, but felt that I wasn't smart enough or capable. When I found Zip Code, I thought it was too good to be true. A bootcamp that actually cares about your success and not your money. Zip Code makes it a point that you will learn programming tailored towards what the current job market wants as opposed to typical "book-learning." I met some amazing people through this bootcamp and have changed my life forever. This will be one of the hardest things you've ever done, but you will not regret it.

• Gabriela Lisboa  User Photo
    Gabriela Lisboa • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Zip Code was a hard and intense program, but for where I am now and the new friends I made, it was well worth it! The course is designed with corporate partners in mind, they are 100% career oreinted (they will not stop connecting you with job openings as long as you stay commited with them!) and the teachers are supportive, fun, and masters at what they do. If you are feeing intimidated, thats normal! It is a hard program, but its not impossible. From someone who almost say no to this experience for every xyz reason, I'm so happy I went through with it because now I have a wonderful career as a software developer and an awesome alumni network to find support in. When you join Zip Code Wilimington, you aren't joining another coding bootcamp your taking the first steps to living out your full potential!  Take a chance on yourself and apply to Zip Code Wilmington! You will not be dissapointed!

• Exceptional
    - 9/14/2017
    Mark Brown  User Photo
    Mark Brown Verified via LinkedIn

As a graduate from the most recent Java Bootcamp cohort, I can absolutely say that Zip Code Wilmington helped change my career and life. Not only did the program help me find a job in software development, but it also gave me the confidence to succeed in it. Although I still have much to learn (over many years I hope!), Zip Code Wilmington gave me a great foundation.

ZCW teaches the fundamentals of programming clean, testable code in several technologies including Java and JS, with introduction and exposure to frameworks like Angular, and middle-tier development with Spring. Simply put, this was the only bootcamp I could find online that focused on Java and gave a solid foundation of Spring. Why is it important? Most employers are looking for experience in both! My only comment for improvement? More labs!

The instructors were phenomenal. They are there all the time, ready and willing to help. They put in incredible amounts of prep work. But they will not spoon feed you! It is up to you to work hard, and ask for help! I only remark here that some instructors may not be as used to teaching in a classroom setting as others. But when I came to ask for one-one-one help, not only did their incredible knowledge and experience shine, they very quickly resolved my issues and bettered my understanding of material. Tariq has done a fantastic job organizing a team of instructors and developing a curriculum that will help graduates succeed in their careers.

Melanie is awesome. Full-stop. Not only did she cover important and subtle details about applying for jobs and interviewing. She helped organize weekly speakers, provided MANY networking opportunities, and put in an incredible amount of work to help us. Again, she can't get a job for you, but she will provide you every opportunity!

One more note: Yes you will be working 85+ hrs/week, at least. Yes you will feel stupid at times. Yes you it is hard. But if you put in the work, you WILL succeed.

• Are You Ready?
    - 9/6/2017
    AJ  User Photo
    AJ • Student Verified via LinkedIn

This course is hard. I enjoyed the community and the resources that were available to me while in the program. Being a visual learner, I would have liked to start with design patterns and then learn the technologies. The instructors do not hold your hand through this course so to be successful and truly retain all that you will learn over the 12 weeks you must be very vocal. Ask a lot of questions. If you clam up when you feel stumped then you'll get left behind quickly. This isn't for the light-hearted, this is a real boot camp. It will prepare you for the work force but it is meant to break you down and then build you back up. Some people don't recover from the break down. This will challenge you to the core of your being. You may question life itself. If you persist you will succeed. What are you waiting for?

• Stop hesitating
    - 9/6/2017
    Chris Kim  User Photo
    Chris Kim • Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

If I had to pick one area that Zip Code has some room to improve, it would be the lectures. While they do provide tons of very practical and well-designed hands-on training, a few of the lectures were poorly delivered. In other words, although the instructors are highly qualified technically, and are wonderful to work with one-on-one, I sometimes had great difficulty paying attention during lecture. Don't let that detail deter you though. The overall experience was incredible.

I will admit when I first heard about Zip Code, I had a hard time believing the claims. I was told that in addition to the instruction, each student was paired with a developer already in the industry to receive tutoring and mentorship. I had spent months looking for jobs without any success, and I was desperately looking for somebody to help me and give me advice.

It turns out that the above claim was a bit off -- each student is actually given access to not one, but a great number of both school alumni and industry leaders. The team at Zip Code does an incredible job of maintaining contact with their alumni. I really feel like part of a family here.

It's all true. Zip Code not only teaches you how to code, but everything you need to know in order to join the workforce. This includes training on everything from how to shake hands to multiple full length mock interviews (both personal and technical). At the end, dozens of hiring managers came to Zip Code, eager to hire us. Isn't that crazy? Four weeks into my new job, I still have a hard time believing that it happened. I am so grateful for Zip Code, and recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone who is interested in becoming a software developer.

• The real deal
    - 4/24/2017
    Mohammad A Mukhtar  User Photo
    Mohammad A Mukhtar • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Zip Code provided me with the opportunity I needed to learn how to code at a professional level and jump start a career in application development. The program is very intense, and provides a greate learning experience. Most of all, you learn a lot about your own self.