ucf-boot-camps-logo

UCF Boot Camps

Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Orlando, Orlando, Orlando, Orlando, Orlando

UCF Boot Camps

UCF Boot Camps offer part-time and full-time web development courses, and part-time data analytics and digital marketing courses in Orlando and Sanford/Lake Mary, Florida, and online. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. The data analytics curriculum includes programming in Excel, fundamental statistics, API interactions, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau and more. The digital marketing curriculum takes a multidisciplinary approach to marketing strategy, campaign development, digital advertising, and modern tools in site analytics and reporting. Students will enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience.

Applicants do not need prior experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. UCF Boot Camps are designed for students and professionals or those who are actively pursuing a career change, advancement or are looking to learn a new skill.

Students will benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success through graduation and beyond. Services include portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and one-on-one career coaching. Graduates will receive a Certificate of Completion from UCF Division of Continuing Education and will have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, data analytics, or digital marketing.

UCF Boot Camps are offered in collaboration with Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent UCF Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.63

all (47) reviews for UCF Boot Camps →

Recent UCF Boot Camps News

• Data Science and Visualization - Part-Time (Lake Mary/Sanford)

LocationOrlando
    UCF Data Analytics and Visualization Boot Camp is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Students will gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python, JavaScript, SQL Databases, Tableau, and more. Applicants do not need experience to enroll, but once admitted, all students will complete a pre-course tutorial. Throughout the course, students will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more—allowing them to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
    Tuition PlansPayment plan available
  • Digital Marketing - Part-Time

HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Wordpress, SEO
    LocationOrlando
    The UCF Digital Marketing Boot Camp is a challenging, part-time digital marketing program that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in marketing strategy, campaign development, digital advertising, and modern tools in site analytics and reporting. Gain experience with in-demand tools and technologies such as Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Customer Relationship Management software (CRMs), MailChimp, HTML/CSS, and more.
    Prep WorkPre-work
  • Full-Stack Flex - Full-Time (Orlando)

LocationOrlando
    UCF Coding Boot Camp is a 12-week, full-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
    Prep WorkPre-work
  • Full-Stack Flex - Part-Time (Lake Mary/Sanford)

LocationOrlando
    UCF Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development course. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Students have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Students receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position students for success in the field.
    Prep WorkPre-work
  • Full-Stack Flex - Part-Time (Valencia West)

• Full-Stack Web Development (Online) Part-Time

LocationOrlando
    Learn to code wherever you are. The full-stack, online curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Through hands-on projects and training, students will complete the coding program in 24 weeks via live, instructor-led lessons. Individuals receive support from a variety of channels, so students are never alone throughout their online coding boot camp journey. University of Central Florida’s online coding boot camp gives you the opportunity to “think like a developer.” In addition to learning many of the most in-demand languages and creating your own personal portfolio, you will also partake in an 8-week Agile Team Project that mimics a real-world environment. Students are assigned a piece of the full project (division of tasks into short phases of work and frequent reassessment of adaptation of plans) and then finalize the project together with the assistance of an industry leader who has on average 5-7 years of experience as a software engineer. At the end of this online coding program, you will receive a Certificate of Completion from University of Central Florida, helping you stand out to employers.

• $500 UCF Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive UCF Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Full-Stack Flex - Part-Time (Valencia West) (Orlando)
    • Full-Stack Flex - Full-Time (Orlando) (Orlando)
    • Full-Stack Flex - Part-Time (Lake Mary/Sanford) (Orlando)

• Brendan Lynn  User Photo
    Brendan Lynn • Student Verified via GitHub

This is a review on the online "Coding Bootcamp" from UCF. It really should be called "Web Development Bootcamp." It says "Web Development" on their website https://bootcamp.ce.ucf.edu/coding/ but I did not see this page when signing up for the class. This program was a referral to me from a family member and I talked with a recruiter for the class over the phone. I told her what I was looking for (mostly interested in C++ or other low-level programming) but she did not make it clear that it was a web development program. After a little over a month with the six-month program and realizing the direction of it, I wrote a dissatisifed email to the program director asking to be removed with a refund and was told I was not within the 2-week cancellation period so nothing could be done for a refund. I dropped the course still and tried to salvage my investment by speaking with the Career Director to see if I could use their Career Services (helping you set up self-marketing and networking to find work) for IT in general and was told "as a matter of policy, I am unable to work with students who do not complete the program." This was a complete waste of $10,000 which is especially crippling when I am still trying to even start a career.

As for the content of the course, it explains the basics of programming very nicely in the first several lessons where you are given coding challenges to try to solve basic and intermediate mathematical and logical problems within the Ruby language. After that, though, is the HTML section which is horrendously short for what is supposed to be a web development course. The HTML lessons are very rushed to get you into the Ruby on Rails section which is a large portion of the course. You start frequently seeing in the lessons "how this works isn't important" or "this will be explained later" ("later" often being a synonym for "never") which is honestly fine for teaching practices in very subtle moderation but when so much explaination of how Ruby on Rails and HTML works is skipped over and rushed to get you to the end of the class that it becomes so difficult to follow. I found myself looking up my own tutorials online and just clicking the next within the bootcamp website beacause the teaching material just was not there. I did not get far enough into the course to see how teaching Javascript was handled but it's good to see that it's included because Ruby on Rails is a very niche and not widely used framework whereas Javascript is a useful skill in many, many more jobs.

If you are looking to start in web development and make web pages this may be a good choice for you. Personally it's not what I wanted to do. The main reason for the low review is that the bootcamp staff seems to care more about taking your money and keeping it than they are concerned about helping you start a career. Now I have a $10,000 student debt and no job to pay it off. For this reason I will never recommend UCF's programs to anyone.

Monday, Sep 23 2019
    Thanks for sharing your experience, Brendan. We're happy that you enjoyed the initial content of the course but understand that the full curriculum was not what you expected.

Our program is referred to as a full-stack coding/web development boot camp across our web presence, as well as throughout the admissions process in order to best ensure that students are aware of what will be covered. While we do start with coding fundamentals like HTML and CSS, the goal of the curriculum is to cover a wide range of front-end and back-end technologies to teach students the necessary skills for full-stack web development in a short span of time.

Like you mentioned, the HTML module is fast-paced and designed to provide a foundation before moving learners through the more complex programming languages and tools like Ruby on Rails, jQuery, etc. While the course is not exhaustive, our goal is to prepare students with the ability to learn on their own outside of class and explore the tools and technologies most relevant to their goals during the program and beyond. We know that the program is challenging and moves quickly from one topic to the next, but we usually find that as students progress through the coursework, they get more and more confident in their skills. We also offer various support methods for those who need further assistance including round-the-clock TA support, online assistance, and weekly mentor sessions.

While our top priority is student support, our career services benefit is only available to active students within the program and those who have successfully completed the program requirements. From your experience, we see that you were unable to utilize career services once you dropped the course. This criteria is in place in order to make sure that each active student receives maximum support throughout their time in the program. Our enrollment agreement and admissions process do strive to make the refund policy for the program clear, noting that refunds are not possible after the drop period ends. We understand that you were unhappy with these policies and apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused.

It's our goal for all students to leave the program feeling confident in their skills, so we would welcome the opportunity to speak with you and determine what additional assistance we can provide for you at this time. If you would like, please reach out to us directly at (407) 454-9823.
    - 8/19/2019
    Jaime Cardenas  User Photo
    Jaime Cardenas • IT Specialist • Student Verified via GitHub

I've been working as an IT technician for my current company for over a year.  I was looking into growing with the company and I was told Web Development was the way to go.  I taught myself some CSS,HTML and JS, but I felt that I had to show I was serious about my growth I had to enroll in a boot camp.  My company offered me some tuition reimbursement and I signed up at UCF BootCamps.

So far this has been a great help and experience.  The pace is fast and to the point, great instructors and assistance.  I've learned a lot and fast.  It has help me feel more confident when speaking about moving to the developing team at my company and they are already starting to give me projects while I continue to learn at the bootcamp.

If you arae planning to learn coding a bootcamp is a great choice but be aware that is a lot of work and fast paced environment.  Be ready to spend a lot of time coding and researching.  Time flies and you will have a valuable new skill.

Monday, Aug 19 2019
    We truly appreciate your review, Jaime! We're thrilled to hear you're successfully learning the fundamentals of web development and are developing confidence in your newfound skills. Like you mentioned, this program is fast-paced and will require an extensive amount of studying both inside and outside of the classroom. We commend all your dedication thus far and are cheering you on as you continue towards finishing out the program!
    - 6/1/2019
    Eric N  User Photo
    Eric N • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I attended UCF part-time web dev bootcamp. Although it is fast paced and challenging, I felt the material covered will help me to prepare for the future. I had an excellent intructors, and my TA's were top notch, and I truly believe that my success is because of how thorough and passionate they were about me understanding the material and succeeding. Through out the program carrer service has help get "job ready", and since graduating career service has been in constant contact to go over job option and make sure I am ready to interview.

Tuesday, Jun 04 2019
    Way to go, Eric! Our boot camp team is truly passionate about helping students succeed, so we're glad to hear you benefited from their support. Congratulations on successfully completing the program and thank you for your review! We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
  • Diana Saftler  User Photo
    Diana Saftler • Applications Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I have been programming for more years than many of my classmates have been alive... I know this because I finished a final release of my first turn key application just before my son was born, and he is at the far end of the millennials.

Well, I love programming (I will disavow this while debugging at 3 a.m.) but my 'first language' is MS Visual FoxPro 9.0 by way of FoxPro, FoxPro for Mac, FoxBASE, and dBase III.  And now those languages rank with Sanskrit.  I wanted to learn the languages of the web.  I wanted to be able to build applications of the same complexity and usefulness there.  Lots of resources on line...lots of books in my library.  Maybe too many.  Where to begin?

I attended a local meet up of Girls Do IT, and had a long conversation with a delightful young woman who was 2 weeks away from finishing the UCF Full-Stack Web Development Boot Camp. “It is intense,” she said, “but I’ve learned SO much.”

I did some research and made the awesome commitment to sign away half a year (and  a  not insignificant amount of money) to attend.  I am now at the half-way point, and consider this to be the best investment in my skill set since I got my MS in Computer Information Systems at NSU.  I am confident that Trilogy has taken the pulse of the industry.  They are teaching the skills that local employers are looking for.  The course builds from front end to back end tools and crafts exercises that cement concepts and build muscle memory.  They don’t go too deep, but make sure you understand the place each tool holds.  The instructors I’ve had are in the industry and know that they are training employees they will want on their teams.

The pace is furious… Don’t miss a class.  Do every exercise.  Watch every video resource.  Do the tutorials.  Get a good study with your classmates.  Leave enough time – more time than you think – to do the homework.   But when you do, pieces begin to fall into place.  You may not realize it at the time, but when you see a tool or technique again (and you will) you’ll realize that you understand it.  And that will give  you confidence in your ability to learn the next new tool, and the next;  development is constantly evolving.

By the time I’ve completed the course, I am confident that I will be able to take my skills in analysis and design, and implement them on the web.  A new tool set,  a new platform, a new way to solve the puzzle.

Monday, Jun 03 2019
    Amazing, Diana! We appreciate you choosing our program to further develop your existing programming skills. We're happy to hear you're enjoying the course and material covered. Great advice for prospective learners—utilizing all of the boot camp's resources will help you succeed. Congratulations on reaching the halfway point, we're rooting you on as you continue towards graduation!
  • Worth it
    - 5/13/2019
    Kathleen  User Photo
    Kathleen • Graduate Verified via GitHub

This program delivered all that it stated in the beginning, and more.  I started the program with minimal experience (mostly HTML) and I won't sugar-coat it - it was tough all the way through.  I learned more than I ever thought possible and while I am not quite an expert in some of the more technical languages, I feel sufficiently equipt to work with them moving forward.  The instruction was great, and having the TA's in class was instrumental many times when you needed that extra assistance, or just another perspective.  I did not participate in the Career Services portion as I completed this program as part of my existing employment, although I was very impressed with the level of support and guidance they offered from the beginning.  Be prepared to work hard both in and outside the classroom, as I put in at least 20 hours a week beyond class.  That said, I highly recommend this program for those wanting to learn more about web development (front and back end), and for those with experience seeking additional knowledge and guidance.

Tuesday, May 14 2019
    We commend all your hard work, Kathleen! We're thrilled you were able to successfully learn the fundamentals of full-stack web development and feel equipped to tackle new languages and frameworks. Like you said, it's important for future students to be prepared to work hard both in and out of the classroom. Congratulations on graduating and thank you for your review! We wish you continued success going forward.
  • Dominic Smith  User Photo
    Dominic Smith • Student Verified via LinkedIn

​Prior to enrolling in the camp, I was a Game Developer so I did walk in with some programming experience. But within the first few weeks of class I learned wayy more than I expected to. The program has exposed me to such a large variety of programming languages that I didn't know anything about, along with many ways to go about coding effeciently.

The amount of resources and help that is provided within the camp is what I appreciated the most.The teachers and teacher assistants are very knowledgable and are always giving a helping hand to all students. Utilizing the career services helped me land freelance jobs all while I was still a student at the bootcamp. Becoming a Web Developer through this camp has made me become a better programmer overall. For me, programming went from being a hobby to becoming a profession.

The only tools you need to be successful in this boot camp is effort and the ability ask any questions in order to fully grasp the concepts taught in class. Just take everything you learn from class and apply it to things you like to do in your daily life to use as practice. Practice is key.

Wednesday, Feb 06 2019
    Thank you for your review, Dominic! We're thrilled you chose our program to advance your web development skills and make a significant career change. Great advice for prospective students — practice is definitely essential. Congratulations on graduating, we wish you all the best moving forward.
  • Madison Tift  User Photo
    Madison Tift • Graduate Verified via GitHub

A 3 month full stack javascript boot camp (MERN stack) on the UCF campus in Orlando, FL. This course was extremely challenging and rewarding. Over the course of 3 months we learned more than I thought possible. With a heavy emphasis on practical application the course provides not only knowledge, but a working portfolio to show to potential employers upon graduation.

Monday, Feb 04 2019
    Amazing, Madison! We're happy to hear you had such a rewarding student experience and enjoyed the curriculum. Congratulations on graduating, and thank you for your review! We are rooting you in all your future endeavors.
  • Jonathan  User Photo
    Jonathan • Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I enrolled in the July-Sep 2018 Full Stack Bootcamp, and landed an amazing job within 3 months of graduating from the camp.

The instructors and supporting staff are seriously passionate about helping you along the somewhat painful process of rapidly developing the skills of a full stack web developer, and they do an excellent job. John, the lead instructor when I attended the camp, has a lot of experience as a developer and he really has a deep understanding of the curriculum and the areas that tend to trip up students. The curriculum is certainly challenging and really does cover everything you need to be prepared for the workload of a full stack developer. To cover all of the topics the full time camp has to be a grind, and I believe that those students that are committed to putting in 30+ hours a week outside of class to study and work diligently on the assignments reap massive rewards for their efforts. Even complete beginners should feel confident enrolling in the full time course. The TA's from my class, Mark and Tamara, were constantly checking in on me and were just as knowledgeable and helpful as the main instructor. They do an excellent job of not letting anyone fall through the cracks, as long as you are willing to put in the effort and time.

Another great quality of the camp is that all of lectures are recorded, all of the assignments are saved on your computer, and all of the solutions will be available to review and study during the camp and beyond. Even if you struggle to keep up during the camp or feel that your assignments were not of the same quality as the other students, I believe you are still learning and growing a lot more than what is immediately evident. Once the camp is over, as long as you continue to study and work diligently at your own pace, I believe you will notice many of the concepts that seemed bewildering during the camp will start to click. Your ability to problem solve and learn new things as a developer will carry you the rest of the way. Those hours of grinding and working through challenges as a team, wading through documentation, and building projects is the best form of practice because that is what developers do on the job anyways! As a recently hired developer I can seriously say that I still spend most of my time searching for answers to difficult questions, reading documentation, brainstorming with my team, and building projects just like I did during the camp.

I could go on, but overall I have nothing but good things to say about the experience and highly recommend it to anyone that is serious about changing their career and being a successful developer.

Sunday, Jan 20 2019
    Way to go, Jonathan! We're thrilled you had such an amazing boot camp experience and were constantly supported by our entire instructional team - we also think John, Mark, and Tamara are fantastic. We're passionate about what we do, so it's great to hear all your hard work and practice has benefited you in your new developer role. Congratulations on completing such a rigorous program, we wish you all success!
  • Worth Every Penny
    - 6/17/2018
    David R Hurley  User Photo
    David R Hurley • Devops Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

This program was tough no doubt about it. I had already came in with a good understanding of programming, and thought it would be a breeze. This was entirely incorrect, after the first few lessons you begin to learn about new technologies and the pace is extremely fast. Even in part time it was hard to keep up with at times.

You literally learn basic HTML all the way to writing complex Rest APIs and then using React.js to communicate with the API. Once you complete the bootcamp you have to continue to learn through other means as technologies are constantly changing. Initially I was quite hesitent to sacrifice 6 months of my life, but coming out of it I would do it again in a heart beat.

All the instructors and teaching assistants were helpful, and always looking to assist you. 10/10 would Bootcamp again.

Tuesday, Jun 19 2018
    Thank you so much for your review, David! You are right that this program is tough and fast-paced (even for those individuals with previous experience such as yourself), so we are glad you found the curriculum comprehensive and that it successfully gave you the foundation to continue your learning post-graduation. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our instructors, TAs, and boot camp as a whole! Congratulations on graduating, we wish you continued success moving forward.
  • Lisa Vinson  User Photo
    Lisa Vinson • QA Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub

The admissions staff, teaching assistants, and instructors are very clear that the course will take a tremendous amount of work and there is no substitute for putting in that time. It is not unusual to spend 30+ hours outside of class working on homework assignments, reviewing activities, and studying concepts more deeply that were only briefly covered. You will always feel like the course is going too fast, but if you can just stick with it, you'll keep absorbing and being able to apply more and more of it. Still, you have to be okay with feeling overwhelmed at times. At this pace, it's is inevitable.

For the students that took the putting in time advice seriously, I think the course was absolutely worth it. We were exposed to all of the languages and libraries advertised, though some much more than others, and also learned important coding best practices that will definitely be needed in the workforce. The curriculum does a good job of balancing breadth and depth of content and there is very little I would have changed in terms of time spent on topics.

My instructor and TAs were amazing and definitely helped keep everyone positive when students were struggling - and everyone will struggle at some point. The career help was pretty good, though I think job recommendations could be more structured after graduation. With that being said, my career coach recommended a company for me to apply to, and I was hired there a few weeks after graduation.

If you are looking for a program that lays the foundation and gives all of the tools needed for a full career change into software soon after graduation, I would recommend this bootcamp. However, if you are looking for a guarantee of getting your certificate one day, and a job the next or if you aren't willing to make a serious time commitment for 6 months, this isn't for you. How much you get out of the course will all depend on how much you put into it.

Friday, Jun 01 2018
    Amazing, thank you for your review, Lisa! This course does require a tremendous amount of hard work and additional hours outside of class to master the topics, but you're definitely right that what you get out of the boot camp will depend on how much effort you put in. We're happy you enjoyed the curriculum and not only felt supported, but also encouraged by our instructors and TAs. We are constantly updating our career services curriculum, so we appreciate your advice regarding additional structure post-graduation. Congratulations on completing the program and on your new job! We wish you the best of luck in all your future achievements.
  • Graduate
    - 5/22/2018
    Alakh Sheth  User Photo
    Alakh Sheth • UCF Bootcamp TA • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I was a student of the Full Time UCF bootcamp, enrolling in it was nerve racking itself knowing that I just quit my job and was about to start something I had no idea about and would have to put my full efforts towards it. But boy was it a good decision! The support I received from the Instructor, TA’s, Student Success Manager and everyone who was involved in the staff was amazing. The material was hard which I knew it would be but with them I was able to get through the course with out breaking my computer or regretting why I signed up for this course. It was a great ride where I met great people. A lot of networking went on and I made some of the best connections in my life in this course. I was recommended this course by a friend who also had a wonderful experience and I would strongly recommend this course to who ever would be interested as well!

Wednesday, May 23 2018
    Congratulations on completing the boot camp, Alakh! We hope you’re proud of all of the hard work you put into this exciting career change and all that you were able to accomplish with your new programming skills. It makes us incredibly proud to hear that our entire staff diligently worked to help you understand the course material and ensure your student experience was a success. We believe that building your professional network is an essential function in furthering your goals and do our best to foster a collaborative atmosphere, so we're thrilled you were able to make lasting connections. Thank you for your review, we wish you all the best in your future endeavors!
  • Arumita De  User Photo
    Arumita De • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended the UCF Coding Bootcamp from January to August 2017.

I came to the bootcamp after 12 years of being a mom and homemaker, and although I was from a technical background, such a long time of being out of touch had made me practically a novice.

The course work is very challenging, but if you are diligent, you can surely be successful. It equips you with a lot of latest technologies, but most importantly it teaches you the skill to learn and grasp new things. It instills the confidence in you that you can.

My instructors were extremely helpful and knowledgeable. No question was ever left unanswered and they had unending patience. Our TA's were always by our side, helping us when we were stuck, troubleshooting, but most importantly, pointing us in the right direction, enabling us to figure out things by ourselves. They even conducted extra study groups, so that we had all the support we needed.

I made awesome friends at bootcamp. The work was intense, but there was a team spirit that is so very encouraging. The group projects helped me during my interview process. The group presentations taught me proper techniques to showcase my work.

Our Career Director Amber is simply superb. She is very intelligent, patient, perseverant and knowledgeable. She analyses each candidate individually and her suggestions are tailor made accordingly. She was always available when I needed her and always extremely encouraging. Her energy is infectious :)

Ricky, our Student Success manager is a great motivator and always ready to help.

I felt like I was a part of a big family and that they always had my back.

Immediately after I finished my bootcamp I had to take a 3 month break due to personal reasons. But when I was ready to start looking, the whole team was right there beside me, and I got a job offer within a month.

One of the best educational experiences of my life and highly recommended!!

Tuesday, Jan 02 2018
    Hi Arumita

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with UCF Coding Boot Camp. We love reading feedback like this, and knowing that this program has made such a positive impact on your career makes all of our hard work worthwhile.

As you mention, this course can be challenging and we applaud your dedication. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our curriculum, course structure, and networking with your classmates. Also, it makes us incredibly proud of our team to know that as a whole, we have provided you with the guidance and support you needed to be successful in this program and beyond.

Congratulations on completing the program and receiving an offer of employment. We're wishing you continued success as you move forward in your career.
  • Saleena Beharry  User Photo
    Saleena Beharry • UX/UI Designer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I attended the Web Development Full Stack program 12 week program from May-Aug 2017

Every instructor that I had the pleasure of working with at the UCF Bootcamp Bob, Justin, Josh and Ricky were passionate, patient, funny and knowledgeable individuals who helped grow my coding skills throughout the program. The culture that Bob instill onto the students is something that I cannot put into words. No, literally I cannot.. you just have to experience Bob’s teaching style for yourself.

It is quite clear that UCF does not just hire anyone to be an instructor. They are not only knowledgeable but also can effectively communicate and empathetic with the students. They take feedback seriously. They are quick to adjust if something is not working.

I also appreciated the fact that their responses to my questions allowed me to discover the answer on my own but with careful guidance. It wasn’t just about googling the answer it was about asking our classmates for help and learn together.

From building my resume to strategically structuring my LinkedIn profile, to mock interviews, to negotiating, to handling interview anxieties, my instructors and career services were there every step of the way.

There is a interview to get in but they just want to make sure you’re a functioning human being with an actual work ethic and desire to learn.

It really is hard work and day to day you will leave each day exhausted but recharged the next morning.

You get what you put into it.

Thank you Bob, Justin, Josh, Ricky and Alexis.

Monday, Sep 18 2017
    Thank you so much for this incredible review, Saleena! We DO take instructor selection very seriously, so we’re thrilled to hear that your instructors and TAs provided you with such helpful instruction and guidance. It makes us proud to hear that our team as a whole worked hard to support you every step of the way.

You’ve provided some excellent insights into the classroom experience, and this is important for future students to know, so we really appreciate this feedback. Congratulations on completing the program. We’re cheering you on as you move forward in your career.

• Sandra Rodriguez  User Photo
    Sandra Rodriguez • Senior Programmer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

WARNING:  Quite lengthy review

This bootcamp is the best educational experience I've had.  The curriculum is designed to give you a taste of all the facets of full stack web development.  It's extremely fast-paced and not for the faint of heart.  You definitely need to do a lot of learning outside of the classroom.  You are taught the basics of each technology and then it's up to you to use the tools available to explore it further.  At the end of the course, you know which technology(ies) you are most comfortable and interested in and it's up to YOU to continue to explore them.

Teaching staff

The instructors, Bob and Lisa were great.  Each were different in their teaching style.  One was fast-paced and will answer your question with "Google it" or "Ask your classmate".  The idea is to teach you how use research the answer to your problem rather than run to the "boss" for the answer.  Although this approach is frustrating for the student, it teaches you to go to your "boss" as a very last resort.  The other one is slower-paced, a bit more hands-on and will spend the time to help you find the answer.  While this approach is great for the student in need, it can take up class time needed to move on to the next topic.  In the end, both covered the material for the topic of the day.

TA - teaching assistants

I believe that the TAs are probably the most important.  While it is the teacher's job is to introduce you to the technologies, it's the TAs job is to help and guide you in using them.  I was thankful for the very talented TAs we had - Ronny, John, Dwight, and for a short while Justin.  Each have their own expertise and you soon discover whom to ask what.  Actually, the TAs seemed much more dedicated than the teachers.  Use the TAs to your full advantage.

The curriculum is designed to introduce you to the techonogies most used today.  I was very impressed with the order of the topics.  Each technology taught built upon the previous one.  In a million year, I would never have been able to put it all together and learn it on my own and understand how each technology builds or works with the other.  One little complaint I might have is that too many weeks were spent on javascript and not enough on more complex topics like Laraval, PHP, React.  Not to mention, we didn't even get to touch on Angular which was in the curriculum.

Throughout the entire course, Amber constantly reached out to us to help with our resumes.  Amber is the Career Director.  Even two months after graduation, Amber is still reaching out to us with resume assistance and posts job openings constantly.  Take advantage of this and use her as much as you can.

Suggestions

Making suggestions is about making it a better experience and eliminating the complaints.  The reality is that there's no way to satisfy 100% of the people 100% of the time. Here are some of the complaints I heard firsthand:

• I have zero programming experience or knowledge.  I don't understand Javascript.
    • The teachers are going too fast.

• This is boring.  I already know this.  They need to get to the stuff I don't know.

• I finished the course and still can't get a job.  They promised that I would have offers left and right.

There are many more but this is a gist of it.  My suggestions:

• Design a more rigorous process in choosing students.  Yes, I know the bootcamp wants everyone's money but satisfied customers are important and will bring more long-term revenue.  Rather than just a 15-minute phone interivew with a silly scenario about coffee and sugar, it might be better to have a written test.  This test can be designed to determine who has the mindset of a programmer.  Maybe you should require that they at least have some knowledge of programming logic.  There was a lot of time wasted with Javascript because people couldn't understand a "for loop".
    • Design a full disclosure and have each prospective student initial each bullet point and sign it.  This disclosure should cover all the qualms and make it clear what will be expected from the course and the student.  One of the things might be that the student is aware that they need some kind of programming knowledge.  Also, make it clear that no one is guaranteed a job.  Full disclosure can go a long way.

I recommend this bootcamp to everyone who has a passion for technology, has some knowledge of programming, wants to get introduced to new technology and is eager and willing to take that knowledge and run with it.  Good luck to you all!!!

Friday, Sep 15 2017
    Congratulations on completing the program, Sandra! We really appreciate your detailed feedback. It’s wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your boot camp experience. As you point out, this program does require students to complete assignments and practice their skills at home. So, students should expect to dedicate an appropriate amount of their own time to this course. This is excellent insight for future students.

It’s wonderful to hear that your instructors, and their individual teaching styles, worked so well in coordination with one another. We know that quality instruction and assistance is vital to the student experience, so it makes us incredibly proud to hear that your instructors and TAs were dedicated to providing our students with the educational support they needed.

Our career services team is passionate about student success, and they work hard everyday to best equip our students for the job search ahead of them. We’re glad that you found these services to be helpful.

We constantly update and improve our curricula, so we’re glad that you enjoyed the order of topics. Student feedback is vital to our efforts to constantly improve our program, so thank you for sharing ideas that were expressed by your fellow students.

We understand that you would have preferred more experienced classmates so that your class could pursue advanced topics. However, our program is designed to help students with varying levels of original proficiency because it is our mission to help as many hard-working, aspiring web developers as we can. We do include an admissions screening process to make sure that those who commit to this course will have the opportunity for success.

We know many students are hopeful that their job search process will be easy, but our team strives to be clear about the scope of our career services from the beginning so that our students understand how they can get the most out of this aspect of the program. While we do not secure direct employment for our students, we empower them the best we can with the necessary tools and support for entering the job market.

We’re so happy to have earned your recommendation. We hope you’re proud of all of the hard work you put into completing this program, and we wish you nothing but success in your future endeavors.
  • Marc  User Photo
    Marc • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    For anyone that wants to quickly learn the skills to get into the field of being a web developer with a crash course in it this is a great option. It is not the for faint of heart and it one of the hardest thing I had done. That being said you are given all the tools for success along the way. The teacher and TAs are extremely involved with your success and you get all the tools you need to do so. From class instruction and work to homework and group projects your skills are built upon so you do not feel lost when something new is brought up. Overall I give this course high praise, it is not an easy, but you will get back what you are willing to put in.
    Wednesday, Sep 13 2017
    We really appreciate your review, Marc. We’re thrilled that you had such a positive experience in this course! It makes us proud of our team to hear that they are showing their dedication to student success, and providing our students with the support and resources they need. We understand that this course can be rigorous, so we applaud all of the hard work that you put into the program. Congratulations on completing the boot camp. We’re wishing you the best of luck as you move forward in your career.
  • Rheginald Patricio  User Photo
    Rheginald Patricio • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I recently graduated the UCF Coding Boot Camp just this past May and I must say that it is a challenge. Material came in waves and it's basically learning something new every single day. The way I described it to friends when they asked was, "You know how in college, there are prerequisite intro classes you have to take and pass for a few semesters in your freshman and sophomore years before you go onto the core classes in your junior and senior year? This is basically all the core hard classes almost every day," However, because it is challenging, it is very rewarding.

The instructional staff of Bob, Josh, and Justin were very engaging and they'll do what they can to help students understand and succeed. Ricky is also very helpful if any student needs extra help, he'll help them get in touch with central tutoring to combat the material that may seem extra difficult. One of their goals is to teach you how to learn this specific material.

Off the top of the head, the material includes HTML, CSS, Bootstrap, JavaScript, jQuery, Github, Node, MongoDB, Mongoose, MySQL, PHP, React, Json Packages, APIs, and Laravel.

There are many ways to succeed and you have to remember that everyone from your fellow classmates to the instructional staff wants to see you succeed so no matter how much you feel like you might be drowning in the material, reach out because there is always support around. You don't feel like you're left there on an island by yourself.

You will get out of it as much as you put into it. Even though the material was tough, I personally like the aspect of self reliance. The instructional staff will you put you in a position where you might have to find things on your own. They're not doing that to be bad guys. They're doing it so that you yourself can understand why something is right or why something is wrong. If you were just given the answer, it'd rob you of that moment when you do discover the appropriate answer. I don't want to say "right" answer because with a lot of the material, there are more than one way to solve something and it just depends on how you. Even after the class is over, it is up to you to look for and apply for your next career as well as continuing to work at the material to get even better. They will introduce the material and give you the tools and it is up to you to use them. You have to be the one to put most of the hours in and if you do, you will have a way better chance to succeed. There's only so much support that they can give you to where you have to do the rest.

The full time program is three months, but those three months blew by. There is so much work to be done and material to be learned that it'll go by quick. I'll never forget it. I'll have life long friends because of this program. It is certainly an awesome experience.

Friday, Sep 15 2017
    Hi Rheginald,

We really appreciate that you took the time to write a detailed review of your experience. It’s fantastic that you truly enjoyed your journey with UCF Coding Boot Camp. We understand that this program can provide many challenges, but we’re passionate about student success so we work hard to provide our students with the help and guidance they need. It makes us incredibly proud of our team to hear that your instructor, TAs, and student success manager all worked diligently to ensure your success.

As you mention, we are here to help and students need only reach out to their instructor, TAs, Student Success Manager, or Career Services team in order to get the assistance they need. This is excellent insight for students who are looking to join our program.

We’re thrilled to hear that you were able to make lasting connections through our program. We believe that building your professional network is an essential function in furthering your career, so we do our best to foster a collaborative atmosphere and create a sense of community among our students.

Congratulations on completing the program, we’re glad that you had such a positive experience with this course. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
  • George Witt  User Photo
    George Witt • CIO/CTO • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I had a great experience at the bootcamp. I found the staff to be very knowledgeable of the curriculum provided as well as vested in having the students learn how to do things properly.

I already had a job in a related field before the bootcamp however had I not I feel that I would have been prepared to take on an entry level web developer position after this course.

You definitely get what you put in to a course like this and I felt the cost was justified. Give it a shot if you really want to get involved with becoming a developer.

Wednesday, Sep 13 2017
    Thank you for your review, George. It’s wonderful that you had a great experience in this program. We’re glad that our team was able to provide you with the guidance and support that you needed during your journey. Congratulations on completing the boot camp! We’re wishing you all the best as you move forward in your career.
  • Timothy Hayes  User Photo
    Timothy Hayes • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I came into the program with no coding experience.  I was unable to program even the simpliest website.  As a  graduate of UCF Coding Bootcamp, I am now able produce complicated full stack websites.  The educational staff is top-notch.  Bob, Josh, Justin, and Ricky, are very knowledgable and helpful.  They did an excellent job of teaching the material and assisting students to futher their understanding of complex concepts. They also teach you how to learn and how to think of the solution yoursellf.  I think that is one of the most valuable lessons teachers can give students.

The course material covered a lot of different languages, libraries, and databases.  We were immersed in HTML, CSS, JavaScript,JQuery, MySQL, MongoDB, React, and Express, just to name a few.

The UCF Coding Bootcamp is challenging, especially for those coming in with no experience.  Like any life changing undertakings, it is a lot of hard work.  If you are willing to put in the work and learn the skills needed for the next phase of your life, you will be greatly rewarded.

While you are learning these new skills, the career services staff is helping you to market yourself and improve your online presence.  Jessica and Alexis provided great insight and suggestions.

Overall, I think this is a great program.  I recommend it to anyone looking to learn news skils or change the direction of their professional life.

Thursday, Sep 14 2017
    We really appreciate your review, Timothy! We love hearing that you have learned so much from this course, and we applaud all of your hard work.

As you mention, this program does require dedicated study and practice. Because we understand this can be difficult, we provide student support in the form of outside tutoring sessions, live and virtual office hours, and a dedicated slack channel. It’s excellent that we were able to provide you with the support you needed during your journey, both in the classroom and in your career-planning process.

Congratulations on completing the program, we wish you nothing but the best of luck in your future endeavors.
  • DO IT
    - 9/1/2017
    Ariel Costa  User Photo
    Ariel Costa • Graduate Verified via GitHub

If you're ready to change your life and work REALLY hard, UCF Coding Bootcamp is for you.  I attended an Orlando part-time cohort for 6 months - and it was intense (but awesome!).  The curriculum is fast-paced and non-stop.

My instructor (Bob) was very intelligent and great at explaining concepts and applications in a way we could follow and apply to in-class activities and homework.  While his pace could be very fast and his Boston accent was horrible (just kidding), I felt that he really prepared our class for the fast-paced nature of the industry, and he shared with us knowledge beyond the level of the curriculum - about code, frameworks and languages, software and technologies that could propel us forward as developers, and real-world application of the tools we were learning.  Our TA's (John, Ronny, & Justin) were excellent and made themselves available regularly outside of class (almost weekly held study group open and available for everyone). Sometimes the pace of in-class instruction can be very fast, and in order to get the entirety of the lesson the instructor(s) had to keep moving, and the TAs would always stop and assist on the side if you truly couldn't keep following along, as well as being consistently ready and willing to assist via Slack (messaging app) outside of class hours.

As the class came to an close, I felt that we would have benefited from the curriculum being a bit more balanced.  Of course, with most students coming into the course with no prior coding knowledge, we required sufficient time to devote to the basics (HTML, CSS, Javascript), but I felt that we would have benefited from spending more time on the higher-level frameworks (React, PHP/Laravel) - as these are the skills truly necessary to land a Junior Developer role.  That being said, I was lucky enough to land a great job as a PHP developer before the class came to a close.  I didn't use much of the post-course career services, but they are very active, offering weekly webinars, and are consistently availble to assist my fellow classmates in landing a job (as of today we are just over 1 month outside of graduation).  All in all, there is no way I could have absorbed the amount of knowledge I did through this course in 6 months, especially if I was trying to learn on my own.  This course was life changing for me - I've completely transformed my career and found what I believe my brain is supposed to be doing.

TLDR; Take the course, but only if you're ready to work intensely hard.

Thursday, Sep 14 2017
    Congratulations on your position as a PHP developer, Ariel! We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a detailed review. We’re delighted to hear that you had such a positive experience in this course.

Our program was designed to prepare our students for real careers in web development. That’s why we select instructors that are real-world of web development professionals, that share their insights and experiences. It’s incredible to hear that our team was able to help prepare you for the fast-paced nature of the industry, while providing you with the support you needed to acquire these valuable skills.

As you mention, our program is intended for students from a variety of technical backgrounds. Because of this, we are unable to tailor our program to a more advanced skill level. However, we encourage our students to utilize outside resources, and develop a network of peers in order to pursue the study of whichever topics they choose.

It’s heartwarming for us to hear that we have helped you transform your career. Feedback like this makes all of our hard work worthwhile, and we’re truly thrilled to have played a role in your journey to success. Congratulations on completing this program, we’re wishing you nothing but the best in your future endeavors.
  • Glen Turner  User Photo
    Glen Turner • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Coming from someone who didn't have any tech experience prior to the course, I would recommend this program to those who are passionate about the industry and willing to work hard to achieve their goals. I will say the curriculum certainly demands your full attention if you are new to the tech environment. I worked countless hours to grasp particular concepts and absolutely exceeded my own expectations in reference to my capabilities and what I anticipated the course to provide. My particular instructor was extremely knowledable and dedicated to our cohorts learning process. I had guidance when I needed it and was able to teach myself how to learn without having to approach others to help me with a solution. At my demo day at the end of the course I prepared my best and recieved plenty of attention from the employers who attended which precipitated into several interviews. Career services was also able to line up an interview for me which lead to an internship right when the course ended. Overall this was one of the best experiences I've had in my lifetime and I've also made some lifelong friends in the process. Thank you UCF Coding Bootcamp for jump starting my new career!

Wednesday, Sep 13 2017
    Congratulations on your internship, Glen! We love hearing that this course exceeded your expectations, and that you have made lasting connections through our program. You are correct, this course does require both time and significant effort if a student wishes to get the most out of the boot camp experience. This is an excellent insight for future students.

We’re passionate about enabling student success, so it makes us incredibly proud to hear that your instructor and career services team were so dedicated to supporting you during your journey. It’s fantastic that you are already making strides in your career. We’re wishing you continued success in your future endeavors.
  • Sakina Shivji  User Photo
    Sakina Shivji • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated from the first full-time course at the UCF Coding Bootcamp, and it was the best decision of my life. Everyone says you get out of it what you put in, and that couldn't be more true. This course is designed for people like me who came in with no experience, all the way up to computer science graduates. It teaches you the fundamentals that you need to become a web developer, and it gives you the resources and skills you need to keep learning.

Being the first full-time cohort had its cons, the holidays we had took us a little off course, and so did group projects. But the instructional staff didn’t let that hold them back. They constantly did their best to make sure we learned everything we needed to, and took all of our feedback. They took weekly reviews on BootcampSpot seriously, and made changes that made sure everyone got the most out of this experience.

The best part of this bootcamp was definitely the instructional staff. I had what I call the "dream team" aka Bob, Josh, Justin, and Ricky. They genuinely cared about each one of us. Josh would to stay after and help us out, whether it was going back over fundamentals, or going over homework solutions. Justin is an amazing example of a hard worker. He graduated the bootcamp right before mine, and you could tell how much he loved coding. He’s a Javascript and git master, which was super helpful to have. Bob was the best instructor I could’ve got. Going through an intense bootcamp like this, it was so refreshing to have someone like him not only teach us, but be supportive and care. Learning new coding languages is hard, but his teaching style is the best Ive ever experienced. Him and his humor truly made my bootcamp experience.

Another amazing part of the bootcamp was Central Support. In the full-time bootcamp, we got 2 tutoring sessions a week. Jared was an amazing tutor, and having that extra support was incredible. Central Support also gives you the opportunity to become a tutor, which I did a few days after I graduated! The opportunities you get with this bootcamp are second to none!

I got an offer letter to join a company 2 weeks after I graduated, and am so grateful to everyone that helped me make this happen. I would definitely do it again!

Tuesday, Sep 05 2017
    Hi Sakina,

We really appreciate you taking the time to leave a detailed review, it was a pleasure to have you in our program! We’re thrilled to hear that you had such a positive experience with this course  It’s our goal to provide a comprehensive skills-based educational experience to all of our students, so we love to read that our program is helpful to beginners as well as those with experience. We take student feedback seriously, because we know that it is key to providing our students with an education in web development that they can use in the real-world job market, today.

We’re glad that our team was able to provide your class with extra support, and adjust according to student feedback in order to stay on track in spite of the holiday schedule. It makes us proud of our team to hear that they are demonstrating their strong commitment to student success by going above and beyond for our students. We know that our instructors, TAs, and support team members all work hard to help equip our students for success, and feedback like this makes it all worthwhile.

Congratulations on receiving an offer of employment only 2 weeks after graduating! That is incredible, and we hope you're proud of all of your success in the program, and beyond. We wish you nothing but the best of luck in your future endeavors.

• Jeff Brown  User Photo
    Jeff Brown • Graduate Verified via GitHub

As a recent graduate, I'm very pleased and confident I've acquired marketable skills. I'm currently working with my career counselor who is helping me connect with recruiters and potential employers. My pre-class expectations were threefold: 1) to be presented with a curriculum that would teach me how to code a web server to deliver interactive content; 2) to access professional developers as instructors who could teach coding, troubleshoot code, and describe real-world professional web development practices and experience; and 3) to leverage tuition financing and career services through the UCF organization. The experience exceeded my expectations on all counts. For my final project, using a CRNA skeleton, I deployed a MERN stack web application that includes browser and mobile (native) elements. The course starts with web fundamentals, so it's conceivable a student could begin with zero prior experience, but I had some non-professional programming experience and found it quite challenging. It was like having a second full time job. To maximize success, you must read documentation and write code every day from day one, and ask for help when you need it. Was it perfect? Nothing is, but the product is as described, and the people were responsive to any issues that arose. The classroom staff -- instructors, TA's, success manager and career counselor -- all very accessible and clearly worked hard to deliver a quality product. Upper level managers visited classes fairly frequently. Again, I'm very pleased with my decision to enroll.

Monday, Aug 14 2017
    Congratulations on completing the program, Jeff. We’re pleased to hear that you learned so much, and that the program surpassed your expectations. We’re also very excited that you’re taking full advantage of our career services!

We really appreciate your feedback, as these insights are helpful to future students. As you mention, students should anticipate spending time outside of class on assignments, practice, and review, to get the most out of this course. We know it can be hard to complete this program while employed full time, so we strive to provide student support in the form of tutoring, office hours, a dedicated slack channel, and more.

The student experience is our top priority, so it’s wonderful that your instructors, TAs, student success manager, and career director provided you with the support you needed during your journey. We can’t wait to see what you’ll do with the skills gained in this course, and we’re cheering you on as you move forward in your career.

- 6/22/2017
    Jacob Clark  User Photo
    Jacob Clark • Jr. PHP Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I entered the UCF Coding Bootcamp with what I would say a beginner to intermediate level of coding experience focusing around languages of C/C++/Java and a hint HTML/CSS. I stumbled on the course advertisement online while looking for resources to learn/teach myself JavaScript at home. After some research on Coding Boot camps in general, I decided to go make the leap and apply to UCFs Bootcamp. Upon applying I was given a brief questionnaire that tested problem solving and linear thinking abilities along with a phone interview that covered personality and background and some general questions on why I was interested in attending. I like that the camp took the time to interview and sort their applicants to make sure they were taking in people in they wanted.

This reflected in class well as fellow class mates came from all types of professional backgrounds and reasons to be attending. But all shared a drive to be there and seemed genuinely interested in becoming a full stack web developer, either it be for a total career change or just general interest and to expand their current skillset. The camp is organized to force collaboration threw slack chats and in the classroom. This was honestly tough for a shy person like myself but goes with the culture they create and you fall into it willing or not, but most definitely for the better.

The pace of the course is relatively fast but will ebb and flow based on how the class is absorbing the content, allowing classmates that are confused on a topic to get help from classmates or TA’s around them that are getting the concepts. This cycles threw out the course and a reason to be social and connect/help others and creates the group learning environment. I attended the Orlando West Valencia Campus and had what I thought to be an amazing Instructor and Ta’s. If you sign up for this course I advise you to take it with Bob, Dwight or John. Bob was my instructor for this I could not have been happier with him or the TA’s Dwight and John. Whom were not only great personalities to have in the class but where always willing to help out and knew their stuff.

The course encourages group work on the weekly assignments given to help grasp the content. The course has 2 main group projects, of which our group stayed together for each and was really enjoyable, but you are free to shuffle groups as you please, within a max group size constraint. For projects, you are given a list of technologies you must use and are free to decide on what to create as a team and then present them in a combined two class meeting on Saturdays. This makes the projects great and there were some amazing ideas/apps that came from both classes and allowed us to use what we just learned the 2-3 weeks prior to create something of our own and not just crank out “homework” assignments. The group project aspect was probably my favorite feature of the camp.

There is a big final project which leads to the end of the course and “Demo Day”. This project can be done in a group or alone. Most chose to take on this project alone as presenting on Demo Day is a great opportunity the camp creates in which you present your final project to prospecting employers or other tech industry professionals and can lead to some great connections and job opportunities. Our demo day I think had about 94 attending employers.

Post-graduation support was great. You are assigned a career advisor to help you land a job. Zach, who was mine, literally handed me I think 2 interviews of which I did absolutely nothing for, all I did was set the time to go in. The continued support and feedback you get from their advisory team is invaluable in my eyes.

I was offered and accepted a job for a local company here in Orlando who is not in the camps network and have been happily titled a "Jr. PHP Developer" for a couple weeks now and using the full stack day to day.  I am also doing contract work for a company here in Orlando the camp put me in direct connection with. I cannot thank the UCF Coding Bootcamp and staff enough for their help and support for making a dream of mine come true.

Tldr: Took the camp,was a blast, learned a lot, you get out what you put into it, this isn’t the matrix you cannot just plug in and 5 minutes later you are Fully Stacked, Bobs the man, TA's where awesome, landed a job, happy with my investment, 10/10 would do it again.

Friday, Jun 23 2017
    Congratulations on accepting your first position as a Jr. PHP Developer, Jacob!  We hope you're proud of all of the hard work you put into the program, and we're excited to hear that you're already jumping into your new career.

We constantly review and update our processes to ensure that we are offering our students a streamlined and first-rate educational experience, from admissions to graduation.  Hearing feedback like this makes all of our efforts worthwhile!  You've mentioned some of the most important aspects of this program for future students to know.  The group projects and collaborative atmosphere expose students to the type of environment that they can expect in a new career as a web developer, and we're constantly updating our curriculum to ensure that students are learning the most relevant market skills.

It is fantastic to hear that our instructors and TAs are providing our students with the support they need to firmly grasp the course material, and that our Career Services team is succeeding in helping our students navigate today's complicated job market.  We really appreciate your feedback and wish you the best of luck moving forward!
  • Ali Zaidi  User Photo
    Ali Zaidi • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Prior to enrolling in the UCF Web Dev Boot Camp, I had read a couple of reviews here on Course Report that helped me with the decision to sign up. Now that I’ve completed the course, here are my thoughts.

I was in the September 2016 cohort that finished up a couple of months ago. The program is 24 weeks of instruction, but mine took longer chronologically because of winter break and a few other holidays in the middle. My particular class met Mon/Wed 6:30-9:30pm, then we joined up with a concurrently running cohort for a combined Sat 10am-2pm session. A new topic was introduced weekly that we would slowly build on over the course of the 3 classes. The instructor would lecture for a while, then we would be given activities to complete to reinforce the learning. There was also a weekly major homework assignment, with the idea being to use it to build out our portfolio. In addition there were also three major projects along the way in which we had freedom to come up with an idea, plan it out, execute it, then finally present it formally - all to practice what we might face in our future careers.

For anyone thinking about signing up, I would say make absolutely sure you’re willing to put in some hard work, and some long hours. They tell you that you should plan to put in 15-20 hours outside of class, and I would say that’s more like a minimum. I found I was often putting in closer to 20-30 hours between going over class material, re-doing class activities, completing homework, researching more deeply, and so on. The pace is also relentless. You can’t ease up because if you decide to mentally check out for a week, it’s extremely difficult to catch up again. However, life happens, people get sick, etc., so they tried to account for that by recording the class lectures and offering 1-on-1 sessions with the instructors to get caught up again.

The instructor we started with, Sean, was excellent. He really knew how to break down difficult concepts, and despite clearly being very knowledgeable and experienced, was able to speak at the level of those of us with no prior experience. Half way through the course we had a change of instructors which was a bit disruptive, but the new instructor, Bob, was also excellent. The other person I want to really give kudos to was the student success manager, Ricky, who was beyond awesome. He was always there to help out anytime any issues came up, whether personal, or class related. There were also a couple of TAs around in each class, and they were always ready to help too as needed.

The one place where the program did trip up was when it came to Career Services. We were told there would be many speakers from the industry who would be brought in to talk, that we’d be introduced to employer partners, that we would go on tours to potential employers, that there would be personalized coaching for facing interviews later, etc. The person in charge of career services for our cohort got promoted to a different position soon after we began, and they never had a proper replacement through the running of the boot camp. For this reason, while we did get some cursory help, it wasn’t quite what was promised. (I know this was unique to my cohort because I’m now working as a part time teaching assistant in the subsequent cohort, and can see they’re getting far superior career guidance already.) However, after course completion, they do have another career services division that takes over, and I’m now working with them to find a good position. They’ve helped fine tune my LinkedIn profile, clean up my GitHub repositories, critiqued my portfolio site, and more. As with the class work, for this career work phase I still have to put in my efforts too by reviewing job listings, applying, going to meetups to network, etc.

Overall, my experience was a good one. If I had to do it over, yes, I would still sign up. As others have said in their reviews, you get out of it what you put into it. They provide you the tools, and the instruction, and the support, but you have to do the work. If you’re willing to, I see no reason why anyone can’t be successful.

Friday, Jun 09 2017
    Hi Ali,

Thank you so much for your feedback, and congratulations on graduating! You’re right that this is a challenging program that requires many hours of study and practice outside of the classroom. We know it takes real commitment to balance life and the intensive pace of the program, so we’re proud of all the hard work you’ve done!

In order to assist students who are struggling with the coursework, our instructors and TAs are always available during class and through various channels like in-person and virtual office hours, email, Slack, and phone, to provide extra support in any way they can. It’s wonderful to hear that you found the instructional and student success teams to be skilled and helpful! We think they are pretty great, too.

We’re sorry to hear that your experience with our career services team during the course did not meet your expectations due to the promotion of your original career director. After his promotion, the career director did step back in to give additional assistance along with the CD from another campus, providing six guest speakers, two online career coaching sessions, three in-class sessions, and one company tour.

We are happy that you had a better experience with the post-graduation career services and hope that you are now receiving all of the support you need to bolster your success. If there is anything else we can help you with to this end, please don’t hesitate to contact us at (407) 454-9823.
  • Michael Mulchrone  User Photo
    Michael Mulchrone • Web Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I came into this program with some self taught web development experience and was making some decent headway going that route. I had always been skeptical of programming bootcamps, this place changed my mind. If you asked me 6 months ago if I could build what I am able to build now, I would have told you are crazy.

You will get out what you put into this course, I definietly had alot more time than other students in my class, but the staff was extermely accommodating to that fact even when I asked questions on topics we hadn't covered it.

If your brand new to web development or someone looking to improve their skills and hesitating signing up for this course, my suggestion to you is ask yourself, are you willing to put in the time? If so, sign up!

Friday, Apr 07 2017
    Way to go, Michael! Getting to see students grow throughout the course and go on to learn more than they ever thought possible is why we do what we do. You are so right that you’ll only get out what you put in—our team is there to support you along the way, but this is a fast paced, demanding program that takes long hours and dedication. Congratulations on all your hard work! You should be very proud of your accomplishment. We wish you great success going forward.