rmotr-logo

RMOTR

RMOTR

RMOTR school offers 4-month online Python web development and data science bootcamps. Students interact with teachers, mentors, and classmates remotely and are equipped with the skills to land a new role in tech with the help of RMOTR career advisors. Trainings include a clear and curated path for the curriculum, scheduled live sessions, and mentor support every week to keep students accountable. Students also participate in creating well-thought, real-life projects to build their own portfolio, and much more.

Prospective students can try full-featured access to a course for free during the whole first week of training (which includes 2 live classes). Students can unsubscribe at any time, no questions asked.

Recent RMOTR Reviews: Rating 4.93

all (137) reviews for RMOTR →

Recent RMOTR News

• Data Science with Python

Rolling Start Date
    $349
    A fully remote course, but with two LIVE classes per week + unlimited mentorship. Learn to use Python to automate every mundane task and perform data analysis with the most popular tools and libraries: Pandas, Matplotlib, Bokeh, Scrapy, etc. It's a 3-month course, led by a real instructor, meeting two times per week in live classes to help keep yourself accountable. Our course is highly practical, you won't learn just Python, but to interact with the whole environment: git, github, test driven developments, deployments, code reviews, etc.
    TRY FOR FREE
    Monthly payments available.
    Monthly: $349. Bundle (4 months): $1099.
    Basic python skills
    All the prep work is provided by us.
    Interview
  • Web Development with Django

MySQL, MongoDB, Git, Python, Django, SQL, CSS, Linux, Data Structures, Algorithms
    $349
    Our "Web Development with Django" course is great for Python developers that are willing to get a job as Web developers or want to create their our products/startups. You will start with a quick overview of all the Django concepts, and jump directly into the most advanced features of the framework. We dedicate a big part of the course to teach you about HTTP concepts, MVC frameworks and RESTful architectures. You will be writing an entire RESTful API using the well know "django-rest-framework" library. The program aims to teach you things that you won't find in most of the common resources, like: good practices based on experience, conventions, most used tools, building reusable Django apps and uploading them to pypi, deploying your Django app or API, etc.
    TRY FOR FREE
    Monthly: $349. Pay as you go.
    Monthly: $349. Bundle (4 months): $1099.
    Basic python skills
    We provide the required prep work.
    Interview

• Charles L. • Student

Rmotr was not just a class but also a collaboration between dedicated students and passionate mentors. The program aimed to go beyond just teaching the fundamentals of programming using a popular programming language, python, but provided the tools and environment so that newer developers would be well equipped to dive into the world of web development. Due to the nature of the course’s speed, the first couple of weeks were to ensure that all students were able to implement basic concepts such as conditionals, loops and simple data structures (lists, dictionaries, sets, etc.). The following weeks dove into intermediate topics including generators, decorators, comprehensions and object oriented programming (OOP).

Each topic was not just thoroughly discussed but put into practice through easy to intermediate assignments. In-session assignments were usually solved through a group effort which in addition, assured that all students were on the same page before moving on to the next task. I can admittedly say that, initially, I had some difficulty with the concept of working on smaller problems as a group. Having taught myself for the months prior, I was able to rush through most of the problems. However, taking the time to discuss the problem as a group had taught me something that most technical books would never cover: how to effectively communicate with a team. Through smaller sessions of group programming, it was evident that we all had slight variations in approaching a specific problem. The mere act of verbally explaining the mental steps that I took would lead to one of two benefits. It would either help another student better understand the approach or it would provide a window for discussion which almost always has led to a better method in solving the task at hand. Both those outcomes were huge successes in my book.

Following weeks were then spent on further reviewing object oriented concepts (inheritance, abstract classes, polymorphism, encapsulation) and taking the time to understand how a relational database functioned. These two tasks were critical during the development of the web app. Instead of blindly using an ORM, we would now be able to identify what commands were being initiated by SQLAlchemy methods. Structuring the configuration file around object oriented design, we were able to reduce the repetitiveness of the file but also make it easier to switch amongst the different environments (development, testing,  production). The benefits of writing clear and concise programs was becoming increasingly evident as the project developed.

As you may have guessed at this point, the last weeks were not class hangouts but geared towards diving into web development. I want to point out that most of the students had very little to no experience developing any type of web app. With the minimal supervision of the mentors, the students were set free to devise, organize and create a Flask app by the end of a given deadline. To emulate a working environment, groups would meet to discuss the scope of a given project, and to provide a proposal that outlined both the features and purpose of the app. The project would span for a total of four weeks, where a part of each week was spent in researching and building the app. Using Flask was an excellent choice for an intro to web development because it required the developers to pull the various components of the web app together which would teach the valuable lesson of reading through documentation. At the end of the four weeks, Santi and Martin had organized a demo day in which professional developers from various backgrounds provided well needed feedback of our apps. The developers asked questions which felt similar to code reviews. There were many questions about testing that I personally would keep in mind for future projects.

By the final day of the program, I felt not only accomplished of what I have learned but also gained a small but close community of developers that I was more than willing to work with.
  • Lana • Graduate

I've been learning to code on my own for a few years now.  I've gone through many books and online courses ranging from free to expensive, and I've completed a lot of coding challenges and exercises.  I got to a point where I felt like I had written so much code that I should be ready to build things that other people can use.  However, nearly every time I tried to write something from scratch I would stare blankly at my empty text editor, not knowing where to start, how to design or structure a program, how to create a whole product starting just from an idea, or how to break down a large objective into smaller pieces.  Sometimes I might make it work, but I would be frustrated and annoyed the whole time and it would take me ages to finally complete it.  How could I feel like I had no idea what I was doing when I've written so much code and solved so many problems successfully?

These resources I had been using all these years that made it easy for me to learn made it too easy.  It was too easy to solve each objective, and while I might have learned some syntax, logic or a nifty language feature, I wasn't really learning how to think like a programmer.  Programming isn't all that intuitive, despite languages and frameworks maturing and being updated with powerful new features.  Programming is ultimately writing instructions for a computer -- a dumb, fast machine -- that just does what you tell it to do, which is the problem.

The most valuable and powerful thing I learned through this course that made me feel like a better programmer who finally made it to the next level was not about Python, or fancy techniques, or code design.  It was the realization that programming is hard.  It's really hard, and it can't be made easy no matter how you break it apart.  And you shouldn't want it to be made easy, or at least I don't want it to anymore after this experience of working on multiple challenging projects per week for a month.  I've grown vastly more in the month of the course as a programmer than I had in the previous multiple years of learning to code the easy way.

Oh Python, you beautiful nasty devil.  I love you.  I hate you.  You make me feel smart.  You make me feel stupid.  You make me feel powerful.  You make me feel ill.  I previously only thought highly of Python and programming in general because it was so easy, but I hadn't realized I was rarely doing anything incredibly complicated with it.  Being challenged stretches you out in different directions and it mangles you as you travel around on an emotional and mental rollercoaster going from singing eurekas to shouting obscenities, but you come out of it an improved version of yourself.  That can be quite an uncomfortable experience during the ride, especially if you're doing it alone.  Thanks to rmotr, I didn't go through it alone.  I had fellow students alongside me who were getting beat up too, and we had the wonderful teachers and mentors to guide us and unstick us when we were too bloodied to go on.

And those fine folks are the value you're paying for.  The teachers spent the time laying out the curriculum, which is structured expertly with a concise weekly lecture and 12 fun projects that very effectively get to the heart of each concept and test your understanding at all times.  You don't just get high quality mentorship, or their well-designed code examples and explanations.  All of this has culminated in coding experience that has caused me to lose the hesitation to experiment, gain confidence to break things, and enjoy collaboration.

You can put any price tag you want on information, and that's what much of the education field is comprised of, unfortunately.  Who needs to consume information as their education when we live in a world that runs on information technology?  Almost no one nowadays.  These education systems are outdated.  People don't need to learn information, they need to learn how to learn, think, and solve problems.  People pay tens of thousands of dollars or more for university (credentials + information), ten to twenty thousand dollars for in-person coding bootcamps (interview prep + information + coding with other people in a desk-filled room), and a bit of money here and there for online courses or books (information).  There's mostly nothing wrong with any of those options depending on your situation, but they might be relatively wasteful or ineffective if there's a better way.

If formative experiences are invaluable, information is abundant, and a person's time is scarce, how do you arrive at only $300 (or free if you get approved for their scholarship) for a month-long course that results in a formative experience that empowers you to be the productive, efficient programmer you've imagined you could be but couldn't figure out how on your own?  That must be rare, or perhaps even unprecedented.

• Jonathan Hartford • Sr. Network Engineer

This is an excellent course.  Working with other on collaborative group projects is a skill I'd never exercised before, and they introduced it right away.  The materials are well set up, and lead right into the exercises.

This is a programming class; you're going to be writing a LOT of code, which is really the only way to learn.  With some team mates to rely on, you can quickly get unstuck and learn a lot.

The mentors, which are always available on slack, are quick to jump on any questions you have, and can help dive into your code to provide a quick lesson or get you back on track.

They could charge a lot more and it would still be worth it.

• Luis Alvarez

I'm convinced teaching is not for everybody. But Santiago and Martin got exactly what it takes, they have a gift for listening to people's questions, the patience to try to understand them, and the interest to resolve them.

The program is great for intermediate and advanced Python devs, it goes through some cool stuff, like decorators and iterators. I was able to apply some of those tricks right away, at work.

The networking is also fantastic, you get to meet/work with some cool people. I think the group work was my favourite part of the course, and looking at the project through the eyes of my teammates, looking at them try to solve the problem, was a great learning experience.

I'm sure the course/system has some aspects that can be worked on, but you'll notice these guys are brushing up their codebase daily, pushing fixes, and just improving overall.

Just for the chance of working with these instructors, and some cool teammates, the course it totally worth taking, imo.

• Akshith Yellapragada • Graduate

Getting through the beginning of learning to code is quite easy. There is so much information on the internet out there for beginners learning to code, give me 5 minutes and I'll find you 20 different guides on getting Python running, and how to use the terminal and an IDE.

There are drastically fewer resources for intermediate programmers though. Once you get past the point of learning how to make a for loop, or having knowledge on all the basic data structures, you're left on your own. The next level of what you're told to do is "Go make a project of something you find fun!", and you're entirely lost.

I'll be completely honest, I think if you're dedicated enough, have the right mindset, have a really good work ethic, and have the time, you're probably able to get through that hurdle on your own and you don't need this class.

Unfortunately for us, and fortunately for Santiago and Martin, I'd say 99% of the people in the world who are trying to learn to code don't fit those requirements. This class gives you the direction and focus you need to help you break through that intermediate wall. A journey that on my own probably would've taken me a year, I feel like I've gone through just this last month.

The basic structure of the class is like this: You have some solo reading with some homework to help you force yourself to apply the reading, you have a couple of classes where they go more indepth into the reading, and then you have the meat of the class, and the most helpful part, the group coding sessions. Every week you get a new group of people, and you get 3 coding assignments where you really start to grow as a developer. Each assignment isn't a small project you run a simple script for and get the output and return that, it feels like you're doing a professional level project, and helps you get in the proper mindset and to learn many of the best practices.

I do stress that this class isn't for beginners. They spend barely any time on the bare essentials like for loops or syntax, so you're going to have to know all that before you even apply. If you can't write a loop to get all the odd numbers out of a given list, for example, look at some of the beginner resources again. If on the other hand that looks incredibly easy to you, just go ahead and apply!

I guess to summarize, I highly recommend the class, the structure and reading material really felt helpful to my progress as a developer, and to get past the initial hump of lack-of-direction. I feel a lot more confident in my abilities to do larger projects.

• DCJ

I greatly enjoyed Rmotr's advanced python course. They gave rigorous treatment to iterators & generators, oop, decorators, and web frameworks. We also covered use of a number of popular modules & packages including SQLite, pymongo, flask, beautifulsoup among others.

One of the best aspects of the course was the group programming -- ranging from 2-3 people and tackling challenging code projects, complete with unit testing.

Overall the support structure, presentation of content and hands-on practice came together for a great course. I learned a ton.

• David Granas • Biology Technician • Student

I highly recommend the Advanced Python Programming class from rmotr for anyone looking to take their programming to the next level.

One great aspect of the course is participating in live group programming. We were given three assignments a week to complete in a group of 2 or 3 people. Each student had different backgrounds and we were able to share expertise on different subjects. We learned how to come up with a plan to tackle the problems as a group, and how to split up different areas in an efficient manner. I had previously taken online courses through coursera and edX, but rmotr's group programming approach really revolutionized the online education system. It was an amazing experience to work side-by-side on a program with someone on the opposite side of the world. This gave me the chance to really get to know my fellow students and form a network of support and possible collaborations going forward.

A second aspect I enjoyed was the assignments themselves. They rose in difficulty in a way that built on itself. Early assignments introduced classes, iterators, and decorators while later assignments made use of these features in an intuitive way. This class was particularly good for me because I had always been intimidated to jump into web development. I never knew what packages to use or what project to try. This class gave me the push I needed to just start doing it, and provided a solid groundwork in web development that can be applied to whatever tools you are using. For everything I learned about writing actual Python code, I learned even more about the higher-level aspects of programming such as understanding packages, working with github, unit-testing, and even submitting a package to PyPI.

This class packed a ton of experience and information into a short amount of time. Although I am by no means an expert in the subjects covered, I know have a solid groundwork and the confidence I can tackle new problems that I couldn't before.

• Jason • Engineer

I took this course two months ago and was quite impressed with it. I had entry level experience in programming and python and was interested in transitioning into a career involving python. This course helped me to finally get into more advanced concepts with material that is very practical for real world use in the workplace. In my opinion, doing projects is the best way to learn a language and there were plenty of them (challenging too!). The instructors did a great job answering questions and making the learning process casual and comfortable. This course does require a lot of hours and you need to be ready for that, but for me it was definitely a solid time investment. At the end of the class, you are able to create a real world demo project with a group that you present to other python developers so you really get the full experience.

Since the course ended, I now can feature my demo day project in my portfolio as I am searching for jobs. I'm a part of the group on slack with all previous rmotr students and the instructors where we talk about job opportunities, further studies in python, and help each other with coding and questions. This course provided me with direction when I really needed it (I struggled with self-taught courses) and has left me with a great opportunity to find a python related job. Couldn't recommend it more.

• Yatri Trivedi • Project Manager

I found this course on reddit and applied, thinking that I was still pretty new to programming. I had been teaching myself Python for a while, but definitely felt pretty stuck on the intermediate side of things. I applied to Rmotr, got accepted, and took the course. It was one of the best decisions I made. (Full disclosure: I now work with the company as a TA)

The course took me though a lot of the more advanced concepts that I struggled to figure out on my own. There were excellent reading/studying resources, live classes over video chat, solo homework, and group projects. We tackled advanced mechanics of the language like decorators and generators, flask/web backends, and working with databases. We also focused a lot on the conceptual side, like when to use classes, when to use iterators vs generators, how to structure a project in flask, etc. The end of the class saw us forming a group and going from an idea to a coded, functional, deployed proof-of-concept project in a few short weeks. We got a lot of feedback from that, and also got advice on turning our new skills into a job (for me, this didn't apply).

I made a large investment of time, but got a lot out of it. They've recently restructured their course with feedback from former students like me and it's even more streamlined and focused now. As I said, it was definitely one of the best programming classes I've ever taken. It bridged that gap from self-study to actually working with python professionally. The instructors did a great job tying the things we learned together and definitely helped us build bigger projects as time went on. Aside from that, they continue to be super helpful in answering any questions (from "is there a library that does x" to "any tips on this job posting?") I or other classmates have had.

In the interest of full disclosure, I now work with the company as a TA, helping new students find answers and troubleshoot problems during their group work or in general. It's been about a year since I started the course and I am very happy to be a part of something I got so much out of. I definitely would have written this review if I wasn't working with the company, and I have written reviews in the past before I signed on.

I took RMOTR's free python course on August 2017, and I had a pretty positive experience. The environment was great, I shared classes with people from all around the world and had a lot of fun while learning. Not even mentioning that everything was given for free.

I took RMOTR's free python course on August. I didn't think I could get much in a free course, but at the end of the day I'm happy to say that I was wrong.
    I had a very good experience, even though I was not a newbie in the Python world. The learning platform easy to use and had really great exercises/lab that made you think.
    I'm still not sure if I will continue with any of the paid courses, but I will definitely evaluate the alternative.

It was totally FREE! Access the course anytime/anywhere. Work at your own pace. Supportive community. Very skilled instructor who goes into just enough details for all the topics. I liked it when Santiago explore the different scenarios like why something works or doesn't work. The slides are very helpful to visualize difficult topics. Especially towards the beginning, having so many resources to reference (like readings, websites to look at...) helped me understand a lot of the basics that I lacked. Thank you so much for what you guys do!! I finally regained confidence to continue coding!

I got a bit confused with the two platforms (?) for assignments. Wish it was longer/even more material. Would have been nice to try a few problems related to data analysis, kind of like what we do for the Python problems.