rmotr-logo

RMOTR

RMOTR

RMOTR school offers 4-month online Python web development and data science bootcamps. Students interact with teachers, mentors, and classmates remotely and are equipped with the skills to land a new role in tech with the help of RMOTR career advisors. Trainings include a clear and curated path for the curriculum, scheduled live sessions, and mentor support every week to keep students accountable. Students also participate in creating well-thought, real-life projects to build their own portfolio, and much more.

Prospective students can try full-featured access to a course for free during the whole first week of training (which includes 2 live classes). Students can unsubscribe at any time, no questions asked.

Recent RMOTR Reviews: Rating 4.93

all (137) reviews for RMOTR →

Recent RMOTR News

• Data Science with Python

Rolling Start Date
    $349
    A fully remote course, but with two LIVE classes per week + unlimited mentorship. Learn to use Python to automate every mundane task and perform data analysis with the most popular tools and libraries: Pandas, Matplotlib, Bokeh, Scrapy, etc. It's a 3-month course, led by a real instructor, meeting two times per week in live classes to help keep yourself accountable. Our course is highly practical, you won't learn just Python, but to interact with the whole environment: git, github, test driven developments, deployments, code reviews, etc.
    TRY FOR FREE
    Monthly payments available.
    Monthly: $349. Bundle (4 months): $1099.
    Basic python skills
    All the prep work is provided by us.
    Interview
  • Web Development with Django

MySQL, MongoDB, Git, Python, Django, SQL, CSS, Linux, Data Structures, Algorithms
    $349
    Our "Web Development with Django" course is great for Python developers that are willing to get a job as Web developers or want to create their our products/startups. You will start with a quick overview of all the Django concepts, and jump directly into the most advanced features of the framework. We dedicate a big part of the course to teach you about HTTP concepts, MVC frameworks and RESTful architectures. You will be writing an entire RESTful API using the well know "django-rest-framework" library. The program aims to teach you things that you won't find in most of the common resources, like: good practices based on experience, conventions, most used tools, building reusable Django apps and uploading them to pypi, deploying your Django app or API, etc.
    TRY FOR FREE
    Monthly: $349. Pay as you go.
    Monthly: $349. Bundle (4 months): $1099.
    Basic python skills
    We provide the required prep work.
    Interview

• Nektarios Katakis • Graduate

I just completed this course and feel totally satisfied! It was intense (worked over 40 hrs per week ) but worth the trouble for sure. I learned python and moreover all the basic programming consepts. In fact I learned in a month more than I would learn on my own in over a year.

The course is really good structured. It starts with very simple stuff but after that is a very steep climb to python programming. All the projects had their unit tests, which really helps you on what you have to produce each time. Also the readings were very well chosen although too many. And finally, the instructors really experienced usually gave you tips you needed to complete or debug your project.

In a month I completed 12 projects and 3 of them were web development with Flask and advanced consepts even there. Couldn't really ask for more. I will repeat though, that this is an advanced course, certainly not for beginners.

• Greg
    I think this course is a great, very intensive overview of some advanced python features like iterators, generators, Object oriented programming, and advanced functional programming paradigms. It also gives expansive practice with working in teams and working on fun projects. The course was hard to keep up with as someone full-time, and I wish the projects were more oriented towards the weekend. Also I wish there was a greater emphasis on getting practice with git rather than relying on cloud9.
  • Rosie • Ops Engineer • Graduate

The RMOTR team is up front about the course requirements: it's not for beginners, and it is intensive. I admittedly took this a bit too lightly and was quickly overwhelmed. I spent literal nights and weekends reading and coding to get through this course... I starved a little. My boyfriend left me. No just kidding but it was super intense, and I was in bed at 2AM reading through my course material and spending 12 hour straight Saturdays on project assignments.

This sounds bad, but in reality, it was the opportunity I needed to deep dive and wrap my head around concepts I that I was unable to fully grasp when studying by myself. In a month I went from wtf'ing 4 pages into the Django tutorial, to writing programs with my colleagues who had been using Python for years. It's also super neat to remain a part of the RMOTR Slack community, where everyone is more than willing to help out with my personal projects, chime in on concept and design debates, and put up with all of our memes. It's the best kind of virtual networking.

Our instructors, Santiago & Martin, are the perfect teaching duo who address doubts and questions quickly and succinctly. They exhibit endless patience and right away it becomes obvious that they genuinely want their students to succeed. Their passion and dedication is nothing short of admirable - it's contagious and inspiring.

Overall it was significantly trying, it was stressful, and while ultimately undeniably fun, in hindsight it was as close to the definition of a coding bootcamp that you can get. I recommend it 100%, to any and everyone willing to dedicate the time and effort. If I could go back I would endure the struggle again in a heartbeat.

• Ben D. • Graduate

I wasn't prepared for the Advanced Python course. I hadn't been doing that much programming in the couple of months that led up to it. I hadn't seen a side project of any decent size to completion. But I stuck with Rmotr and I gained more than I could have asked for.

There were a lot of subjects and projects that I didn't fully understand during the course. I completed the preparatory readings and problem sets. I dove into the projects head first. I spent a lot of time feeling like real clarity was just beyond me.

The thing is though, if you want to learn to breathe underwater, you have to drown first.

I spent my time in teams with colleagues who had different strengths, different levels of familiarity with Python and with programming in general. I had the opportunity to see how they worked, to read their code, to learn from my peers. I put in many hours beyond the allotted time. I put in more concentrated time than I ever have learning to code.

The staff were incredibly helpful. The problem sets, the projects, each built incrementally on the last.

When the course ended I worked on a few side projects. It helped me to realize that the course had provided me with something greater than the sum of its parts. Whereas in the past I would approach some programming project and be overwhelmed by the big picture, now I could take a problem and break it down into actionable steps.

Over the next couple of months as I did my own work, little flashes of insight would come as something from Rmotr's Advanced Python course clicked for me. I'm now learning data structures and a few other languages for web development. None of that would have been possible without the incredible leg up that I received from Rmotr.

• Excellent
    - 9/2/2016
    NJC

While this course's time committment is fairly significant, several aspects of it, combined into the whole, make it unbeatable. The price point, the scope of the material, and the dedication of the individuals running the course make it stand out above other comparable online classes.

By using test-driven development and pair programming as a core part of the learning process, students are exposed to more than just coding, and gain experience with real-world development strategies that are just as important as knowing the languages involved. They gain experience delegating responsibilities and understanding best practices through instant feedback from peers.

As part of learning advanced Python concepts within the core language, students apply these concepts to crash courses in the basics of libraries like SQLite3, BeautifulSoup, and Flask, to create projects that have similar functionality to real-world applications. Git and Bash concepts are taught to give experience with tools that professional programmers use daily.

While this course is not quite as immersive or demanding as others like Hack Reactor or App Academy, it also doesn't demand such a steep investment. Even with its scope limited to advanced Python concepts, this course's value far outstrips even the less expensive options, which are of dubious quality and still more expensive than this course.

The best part of this course is the knowledgeable instructors and mentors that, as a consequence of being distributed across the world, are able to assist throughout the day and night. For individuals who have odd-hour time committments or are simply in a different part of the world, they can get help as easily as any other student.

• Ben B • Graduate
    Having spent quite a bit of time coding in Python as part of my degree - but never having had any formal education in Python (or programming in general) - Rmotr's course seemed an ideal way to educate myself, specifically about OOP, without having to start from the basics. In short, the course was excellent. Topics covered included: functional programming, OOP, classes, mixins, decorators, magic methods, retrieving and parsing data from external APIs, basic database use, use of web frameworks (Flask in particular) and almost certaibly other topicd I've failed to mention here Needless to say, it's an intense 4 weeks. The lectures are very informative and include numerous Q&A opportunities, the online "Learn" (homework) platform works well and compliments the lectures. The lecturers themselves are somehow almost always available on Slack if you run into difficulty. However, by far the star feature of the course is the team projects (2-3 a week). In these you're paired off with other course members and set projects to complete (relavent to that weeks lectures). After getting over the initially fear of working with "some randomers on the internet" this became really, really fun and by far the most effective way to learn and practice. The projects start easy and gradually get pretty involved. Once you've completed a project and it's passed all the automated tests it's peer reviewed by another team and you do likewise. I found this to be an excellent way of learning and expanding my understanding of Python as a language by seeing how other teams achieved the same results using, sometimes completely, different methodologies. The only downside about this course (of which I was aware going in to it) was, based in the UK, the lectures fell about 11pm to midnight or beyond as the course is geared for North/South American timezones. I was, however, deliberately paired with the two other Europeans on the course so projects could be worked on at more sociable times. All in all Rmotr's course is fantastic value for money and I am a much more confident Python programmer having taken it. I would highly reccomened this to anyone who already has a good understanding of Python basics and wants to take their understanding up a notch.
  • Chris

The Advanced Python course is a ~4 week long course where you're pushed to learn a lot of different stuff from decorators, working with Flask to advanced OOP in Python. There is a lot of material for you to work with be it reading material that you otherwise wouldn't come across easily all the way to Python talks/lectures that are more obscure.

Projects are an integral part of the course and this is where you actually apply all you've learned and in the end you'll even be able to imitate a popular social media site (which one? we'll you'll just have to find out yourself!)

I'm currently also doing the Django course that they just started so I'm still learning new stuff right now but I feel like I wouldn't even be 10% as knowledgable as I am right now if I hadn't taken this course. So, if you're hesitating, don't. It's worth it.

• Luke

The team behind Rmotr have built an excellent program that puts an emphasis on actual programming over classroom topics. We did 12 projects, each one focusing/requiring a specific element of Python being studied.

I had been self-learning Python for a couple years, but had yet to work on large projects alongside other people. Rmotr gave me the expierence of working with other developers to figure out the projects. It's an invaluble experience and slightly intimidating at first, but really worth the effort.

The teachers were always available, weither via a quick email, Slack, or to hop into a Hangout and discuss a topic. That kind of hands-off support is vital in learning, leaving most of the work to student, but not totally alone.

• Great Instructors
    - 8/27/2016
    Alan J • Student

RMOTR was pivitol in helping me grow my programming skills beyond a beginner level. Martin and Santiago are extremely knowledgeable and always went above and beyond to help students grasp the topics. Also getting to present our final project to a panel of people working in the industry was a great experience! Would reccomend!

• Ivan Zugnoni

This was the first time I participated in a remote programming course. Without any doubts, it worthed the time and money that I spent here.

Teachers at RMOTR always try to explain every topic conceptually and good practices, so you can apply them in professional life regardless of the technologies that you're currently using. Then, with the coding sessions, group works and mentors help you can go deep into Python stuff and learn the language from its roots.

If you're willing to take this course, make sure you have enough time to spend in pre-class readings and group coding sessions. It can turn a little bit tough, but at the end the amount of things that you'll learn in just four weeks is unbelievable.

• Anthony • Student

RMOTR's advanced python programming course is aboslutely worth the time and money. It's very time conusming, so I suggest those with other committments to seriously make time for this course because you only get what you put into it.

The instructors , Martin and Santiago, want you to succeed and will take the time to explain concepts that you have trouble undertstanding. In addition, we had access to mentors that previously took this course. They have a schedule of when they're available, so you might have to wait a day when you/re outside of those hours.

The projects they give us are pretty fun and relevant. I liked how the coursework actually made us use concepts that we've learned in the previous weeks.

Here's one thing that I would like for them to improve: The last week's projects are about web applications. I think they should talk about web app security best practices. While they do teach us to make our programs somewhat robust by running provided tests, I don't recall them mentioning anything about it. I want to bring this up because you have to be familiar with security, otherwise your app that you push into production is going to have vulnerabilities.

• Nicolás S. • Student

This course was one of my first when it comes to programming, and I have to say has set the bar incredibly high for any others that might follow. The teachers did an excellent job explaining concepts and project, while the mentors were always around to give us a hand if needed.

The course covered both advanced Python concepts and web development using Flask. It's been extremely well designed, focusing on TDD on the practical side to finish the given assignments. It also introduces the concept of collaborative design, so it's a great opportunity for those looking for group projects and the chance to work with Git.

If you have the time and dedication required for this course, take it! Overall, it's a tough but incredibly rewarding experience, and one that I've enjoyed immensely!

• gorrog • Graduate

About 6 weeks ago, I was on this page perusing the reviews for the Rmotr course and wondering:

1. If this was a real course and

2. If the glowing reviews were genuine.

Well, 6 weeks later after having taken the course myself, I can assure you that this is indeed a real online course and that any positive reviews you read here are the real thing!

Some background: I'm a computer science graduate and had been studying Python and Django on my own for a few months. While I made some progress, this class has speeded up by learning by at least a factor of 10. If you are interested in going from Python beginner to Python expert in the shortest amount of time, and don't want to take out a massive student loan to do it, this is the course for you.

6 weeks ago, when I enrolled, I had a fairly basic knowledge of python programming. I could do simple things, but it took me time and effort to think about them, and I wasn't confident in any way. Last night, I just submitted my solution for a Twitter clone's API to my Github account and did a pull request for the teachers and my classmates to review it. The code I wrote is backed by extensive tests and works correctly in 4 versions of Python. Not only was I able to do this, but I understood everything I was doing and I can honesly say I felt fairly comfortable doing it. This is a big deal for me because even after 4 years of programming in Java at university, I never felt as comfortable coding as I do now. I now feel confident that given time, I can tackle pretty much any problem I need to using Python.

Santiago and Martin are great teachers and the mentors are always helpful and friendly. Even though I was in a completely different time zone, I didn't have many occasions when I wasn't able to get help from somebody.

One warning though - you must be prepared to work. This is a tough course and the pace is fast. You'll need a significant amount of time available to get through all the work for each week. However, if you can devote yourself to it for 4 weeks, you will be amazed at how much you learn.

Highly recommended!

• Demetri Koziris • Student

This course, while relatively short at 4 weeks, is very densly packed and takes you through prgramming in python from the very basics all the way to more advance concepts as well as touching on APIs, databases, and web development.

The strength of the course is in how it's structured. In addition to readings and small homework problems, you work with other students on 3 projects every week with guidance and help from instructors and mentors.

While the course requires dedication and a decent time commitment, having access to mentors means that you don't have to waste a lot of time spinning your wheels or stuck for hours on a problem. Most of your time is spent actively learning and working on projects with other students and that is why it was valuable for me. I definitely learned a lot and feel confident in recommending this course to others.

• RMOTR
    - 8/11/2016
    Tod Lazarov • Student

Great course top to bottom. I thouroughly enjoyed the projects that we build(they were many, up to 3 per week). They are difficult and thought provoking that push you to learn and go outside of your comfort zone.

Suggestion for people that are planning on taking this course: Get a head start on the readings and make sure you stay ahead.

• Alonso Gutierrez • Systems Analyst • Graduate

This was an excellent bootcamp and the reasons are the following:

- The mentors and teachers cared about the students. They made sure that we could always find the answers when we got stuck.

- The program covers a lot of useful material. It takes a lot of time and dedication, so you should be prepare to invest time was well, but it is rewarding the amount of things that you learn from it. (It helped me a lot to perform well in a couple of interviews).

- The atmosphere is great, friendly, and tolerant. Whether you are an expert programmer or a beginner with a silly question you are always welcome to ask your questions.

• Landon Simmons • Student

Extremely helpful students, teachers, and mentors. Great course and indepth looks at advanced programming concepts and projects. This course has given me a real look at what the field requires of a programmer. I am grateful that I got a chance to work with this team and with my fellow students. If you like programming and would like to learn more and indepth, this class will do wonders.

• Jessica Ngo • Student

I can't say enough about how helpful this course was for me. It was extremely efficient in its teaching, and I have learned so much in only 4 weeks. However, you do need to be ready to put in the work for this course, as it is very content-heavy.

A key part of this course is learning through doing, and the projects selected in this course are fantastic at getting you to really solidify your understanding of key concepts while completing your project. Lectures are only a fraction of the course, and the majority of learning will be focused on readings the student is expected to complete each week, and the projects. I think this way is a much more efficient way of teaching, since students can decide how they want to approach the material, and spend different amounts of time on concepts based on how much they know, and ask mentors if there are any difficulties. Also I believe that listening to lectures about coding is not as helpful as actually coding. The reason this course is able to cover so much material, and is so efficient in its teaching is actually because the course chooses this method of teaching and has a great mentor support system.

On top of that, their amazing support system of mentors makes it so you can always ask for help if you get stuck, and they will give you a little nudge in the right direction, or clarify any misunderstandings. Mentors will even go out of their way to check up on you every now and then to see how you're doing. Everyone is very friendly, and encouraging. Definitely a great environment to be learning in!

One of the most exciting part of the course is at the end, where there is a optional project, and students can collaborate together to make something for a demo day. I am currently working on mine, and I can't wait to see everyone else's projects too. :)

One suggestion is that maybe there should be a collection of previous demo day projects somewhere, like a display of some sort to see what previous students have accomplished. It would be also interesting to see progress of students as the course gets improved even more or changes! It would also be useful for prospective students to get an idea of what they will be able to do at the end of the course.

• Brian

With so many bootcamps out there, I came to rmotr based on price point. However, I most certainly got more than I paid for.

To echo some of the other reviews, this is not a walk in the park, especially for those coming in with little programming experience. That is not to say that you can't do it if you have less experience - it's to say that one should be prepared to spend a greater amount of time understanding, reading, and playing around with the projects. As the saying goes: "You get as much as you're willing to put in."

As someone who was moderately versed in Python, the class definitely challenged me, and it brought me new, usable knowledge in a very short time.

Just a short note about job assistance. It's not that job assistance is lacking from rmotr, it's that job placement is not the main focus here. People of all backgrounds come to this, some as students, some as professional, some seekings jobs. The mentors will do their best to help point you the right direction, but ultimately there's too broad of a scope to cover.

• Stephen Spears • Electrician

I've been studying Python as a hobby for a couple of years now. I made it to a certain level on my own but hit a wall that I could not get over. Taking this class helped me scale the wall and put me on a track to expand my knowledge even further. The group setting of the course is great because I was able to learn from other students just as much as I was able to learn from the RMOTR team. The work is intensive, and for a month all I did was think about coding. Now that I've finished the course, I'm writing a personal website for my family with custom applications utilizing API's and Flask.

As for the instructors and the mentor team, they understand what it takes to deal with the multitude of personalities and levels of experience with python in their students. Never did I feel like I couldn't get help but I also know it would be JUST enough help to get us to do the work on our own. What a great balance.

Even though RMOTR doesn't actually help with Job Assistance, they do gear the course around a work style environment. All the education is directed towards finding employment. These guys have experience in the real world and share what it takes to make it as a developer.

I can't wait to take the Django course RMOTR offers. If you take this course, be ready to work for a month straight and be glad for every moment.

• Phil W • Technical Designer

This course was definitely a challenge, and it was definitely worth it.  Rmotr's teacher and mentor teams pushed me to learn features of the language I was not familiar with through readings, lectures, examples, and exercises, and they encouraged me to ask questions along the way.  They did a great job of answering my immediate questions accurately and thoroughly, and giving me good recommendations on what documents to read to go deeper.  The course included an impressive 12 programming projects, and looking back on it, I am surprised at all we were able to accomplish in the short span of time the course occupied.

I was cautiously optimistic about the course going into it.  I've had bad experiences in the past using glitchy web conferencing services, and using web-based dev environments don't give you too little freedom to really learn how to work with a language.  However, the conferencing tools the Rmotr team chose made lectures and coding sessions feel like they were in-person.  And they walked us through the steps of getting set up on a cloud coding platform that reminded me of working on my home computer.  I've even used it for personal projects since the course finished!

My confidence in my programming abilities has increased sharply since I completed the course.  In addition to the language-specific topics Rmotr advertised in the course description, I gained great experience working on coding projects as part of a team, reviewing and commenting on code written by others, writing tests for my code, ensuring my code was version-independent, and deploying my code on the Python Package Index.  I would recommend this course to anyone who has a basic grasp of Python or some other programming language, who desires to become a Python expert, and who is willing to get down and dirty for a few intense weeks of coding.

• really enjoyed it
    - 6/19/2016
    Philipp • Student

I really like this course. The classes were fine, but the projects are what really made it for me. There was almost always a mentor around, we even got someone available during european times, just for our one european group.

The projects were challanging and interesting. I would really recommend this course to everyone.

• Anubhav Yadav • Software Engineer • Graduate

If you know python, but need some motivation in taking it to the next level, this course is for you. You will learn, the advanced concepts of python such as Functional Programming, Context Managers, Classes and Decorators, Web Development using Flask and not only that, you will learn when you should be using what.

The pre-reading compiled for the classes are exhaustive, and an excellent compilation on the best of the material available on the internet.

The most fun part for me were the group assignments,  where the assignments given to use were actual real life problems, and the solution that was expected from us were nothing short of production ready code. Collaboration with other people on the course on the group projects was awesome, and doing code reviews on other groups submissions made me a better programmer.

You will learn how to use virtualenv effectively, create production ready Web Applications, learn the best practices for many things, including choosing the architecture for login based applications, how to structure your database etc. You will learn how to effectively write tests cases, and how to use py.test to test your code as you develop your application.

Most importantly you will enjoy!

• Christopher Li • Support Engineer • Student

Rmotr.com is a fantastic programming class/bootcamp. I'm no stranger to online learning - CodeAcademy, Coursera, e-books - I've tried it all. One criticism of online learning is the isolation one can feel as they plow through a 'stack' of pre-made content, whether that's a set of chapters in a book or a queue of pre-recorded videos. It's easy to become disconnected. Santiago and Martin are doing a tremendous job bridging structured content with collaboration based learning - creating a virtual learning environment that's both effective and fun for students.

Rmotr.com builds upon students' knowledge of basic concepts in Python programming by focusing on building data-intensive projects and following good industry habits like TDD. A student will utilize OOP principles and advanced syntax features as they get their hands dirty with API development and basic web programming. Perhaps the most important highlight is the emphasis on group programming. Using a variety of web-based tools, students must learn to effectively communicate ideas, collaborate in shared workspaces and manage contributions linked to shared codebases through version control in order to succeed.

Not coincidentally, these are the kinds of soft skills aspiring engineers must have if they wish to succeed in the "real world" of development, and so students start practicing from the very start. For me this was the most challenging but also the most rewarding aspect of Rmotr.com. I'm still friends with some of my classmates, and we continue working on projects today!

This is more of an intermediate course, so make sure you have a grasp of fundamentals before signing-up. Things move quick, and expect to get your hands dirty early. You will learn a lot - you've been warned!

• Great experience
    - 6/17/2016
    Helen • Graduate

The best part of the course was getting to work on the group projects with other students. Trying to teach yourself can be a really draining experience sometimes (I am a long time sufferer of "analysis paralysis"), so having a guided curriculum and fellow classmates was a fantastic experience.

The course goes over a lot of topics in a short time, and true to its name ("advanced python programming") you will get more out of it if you are decently familiar with programming. The last quarter of the class is heavily focused on web development.