rmotr-logo

RMOTR

RMOTR

RMOTR school offers 4-month online Python web development and data science bootcamps. Students interact with teachers, mentors, and classmates remotely and are equipped with the skills to land a new role in tech with the help of RMOTR career advisors. Trainings include a clear and curated path for the curriculum, scheduled live sessions, and mentor support every week to keep students accountable. Students also participate in creating well-thought, real-life projects to build their own portfolio, and much more.

Prospective students can try full-featured access to a course for free during the whole first week of training (which includes 2 live classes). Students can unsubscribe at any time, no questions asked.

Recent RMOTR Reviews: Rating 4.94

all (136) reviews for RMOTR →

Recent RMOTR News

• Data Science with Python

Rolling Start Date
    $349
    A fully remote course, but with two LIVE classes per week + unlimited mentorship. Learn to use Python to automate every mundane task and perform data analysis with the most popular tools and libraries: Pandas, Matplotlib, Bokeh, Scrapy, etc. It's a 3-month course, led by a real instructor, meeting two times per week in live classes to help keep yourself accountable. Our course is highly practical, you won't learn just Python, but to interact with the whole environment: git, github, test driven developments, deployments, code reviews, etc.
    TRY FOR FREE
    Monthly payments available.
    Monthly: $349. Bundle (4 months): $1099.
    Basic python skills
    All the prep work is provided by us.
    Interview
  • Web Development with Django

MySQL, MongoDB, Git, Python, Django, SQL, CSS, Linux, Data Structures, Algorithms
    $349
    Our "Web Development with Django" course is great for Python developers that are willing to get a job as Web developers or want to create their our products/startups. You will start with a quick overview of all the Django concepts, and jump directly into the most advanced features of the framework. We dedicate a big part of the course to teach you about HTTP concepts, MVC frameworks and RESTful architectures. You will be writing an entire RESTful API using the well know "django-rest-framework" library. The program aims to teach you things that you won't find in most of the common resources, like: good practices based on experience, conventions, most used tools, building reusable Django apps and uploading them to pypi, deploying your Django app or API, etc.
    TRY FOR FREE
    Monthly: $349. Pay as you go.
    Monthly: $349. Bundle (4 months): $1099.
    Basic python skills
    We provide the required prep work.
    Interview

• Leah D. • Student

The instructors were responsive and personable. They actually cared if we understood lessons no matter what level we came into the class as.

Honestly, I don't have any bad things to say about it. I know in this kind of reviews is useful for other students to also read about bad things, or things I didn't like as a student of RMOTR. But, I had such a good experience working with this guys, that I only have good words to say about it.

• Kathy Johm • Student

Mentors were always willing to help and pushing us to go for the next challenge. I would have never kept myself as accountable if it wasn't because of the pre defined schedule and the weekly sessions.

I had the chance to talk a lot with Jason, and he is a great mentor. I used to be frustrated very easily in the past, but having someone like Jason helping me on my side made me feel a lot more confident of what I can achieve.

One small suggestion. I would have liked for the slides to be printer-friendly.

• Gregory Colloney • Student

I really liked the variety of coding projects, and they way how they were structured to tackle specific topics covered in the class.

There was only one real class a week. When taking a class, I mean to be taught by the teachers. During that class a lot of topics were explained, and sometimes it was hard to pay attention and keep the pace during the two hours of class. I would maybe split the class into a few days, and mix them with projects to practice the covered concepts.

I'm more than happy with the overall experience.

• Andrew W. • Student

The projects helped a lot with retaining what was covered in the lessons. I think that having an instructor leading a class and explaining each topic is a wonderful way of learning.

There were lots of projects, maybe a bit too many. But I would have loved to have more time to tackle them all.

I was a bit frustrated with other online platforms that I used in the past to learn programming, but with RMOTR I now believe again that it's something totally doable.

• Anubhav • Student

Working in groups with other people remotly was great. I'm from India, and don't have much chances to learn in my local city. RMOTR gave me the chance to share a classroom with folk from the main cities in the US, and that's an incredible opportunity.

The only thing is that there is not enough time to complete the pre-readings if the individual taking the course is a full time employee somewhere, so it's very important to specify that this course if for people who can work on this full time. Other than that it's great.

• Intensive but fun.
    - 6/15/2017
    Benjamin Dauren • Student

Working in groups with other people from all around the world, from home, was simply amazing.

I didn't feel like there was enough time to complete most of the assignments, but that's probably associated to my bussy weekly schedule. It's know that it's an intensive course, so I should have reserved more time to commit in the extra readings/coding.

I think it's a great approach. If anything, I would say that having a little more time for readings, and having supplementary material for subjects that are not central to the course but are necessary for projects would help (e.g. I would have worked through a SQL tutorial before the last week had I known it would be needed.) Also as I mentioned on the call, I think materials on debugging, linting and all of that fun stuff would be a great help. Some of this I learned from other students, but that is hit or miss.

I want to enroll for the more advanced course as well. This methodology definitely made my learn a lot in a short time.

• Phillip W. • Student

The greatest part is having live class and coding sessions.

I didn't feel like the coding exercises in the homework assignments on the learn site were very helpful. I'm not sure what would make them better.

I liked the process a lot. Knowing that we had an opportunity to ask questions in class about the reading topics, and knowing that we would be using the concepts we were reading and discussing for our coding sessions provided good motivation to prepare, and the class was structured so we could prepare well. The readings were very helpful, but they were hard to get done. I take a while to process what I read, and it would have been helpful if the readings had been available earlier. I think if they had been posted a full week before the class sessions, I would have been ready to ask more questions in class.

Recommended.

• David Gran • Student

Doing group programming live on cloud9 was fantastic. I never thought attending an experience like this from the confort of my home, sharing the class with folks from all around the globe.

Sometimes the suggested reading was too much for me to do. But that's probably my personal issue.

I really liked working in teams with mentor help. It might have been good to have the whole group read the project assignment before hand so we could just jump right in to coding when the time starts.

• Greg Karp • Student

It was a great experience overall, but maybe there could be a structure that works more easily with full-time workers. For example, readings and class during the week with an easy project. Then two intense projects during the weekend.

Group work was a bit hard for me sometimes. I am guilty of this as well - especially during the work week real life commitments took away how much I or my teammates could contribute.

Aside from that, I would totally recommend this methodology. Kept me accountable the whole month.

• Jordan Gallardo • Student

It was great that professors are super kind and helpful.

I feel like a lot of material was just thrown at us. i.e. I did not know how to use the time module and I needed it for the decorator problem. However, we never touched on how to implement those modules. It would be nice to see the professors code more, and see how they solve similar problems. Anyway, I understand that this is how real life works, and getting prepared for that it's also a good experience.

• David L. • Student

Interesting projects that exposed me to a variety of topics in python.

Sometimes the projects involved libraries that were confusing, and so instead of getting to spending most of the time learning about the topic that we were supposed to be learning, we had to waste a lot of time struggling to understand the other library (e.g. in the decorator project, dealing with logger. Or in the mix-in project, dealing with argparse.). I would suggest that when there is an extra library being used in a project, there should be some practice with it in the learn platform ahead of time, so we can get used to the syntax.

Also, I think having more experience building a project from scratch is important. Having the interface and tests already created is probably 90% of a typical project. And overall project structure (how to structure packages and modules) is something that I don't know much about and wish I had had the chance to practice in this course.

Another issue was when the tests had errors in them that made it impossible to pass the tests. That made the coding sessions frustrating, because we were not just debugging our own code but the tests also.

Finally, I thought there was a big difference in what was taught during the lessons on Wednesday and what we were expected to do in the coding sessions. I found that most of the Wednesday sessions didn't teach me much that I didn't already know from the assigned reading, learn platform, or previous experience. But then when we got to the actual coding session it was far more difficult than what was taught. I think it would be better to assume/require people have done the reading and then teach the class accordingly so that we learn more in the teaching sessions.

That said, I still think it's a great course and methodology. I would totally recommend it.

• Immersive
    Mike Connolly • Student

I loved the intensity and collaborating with other course takers.

I truly enjoyed my experience with the RMOTR guys, I have just two things I'd want to have shared with me if I were a RMOTR owner: 1. I felt a few times that mentors were pushy / overbearing in their 'help' during coding sessions. I had been cut off mid-thought several times while trying to describe my problem + thought processes. Once the mentor saw the issue, I felt flooded with 'xyz' on what to do; most often this left me more confused on what the code was doing and why. 2. I posted in the mentors-help Slack channel twice over the 4 week course, both times it felt slow to have someone get back to me; which I didn't really like in the moment - a good chunk of the Rmotr sales pitch was 'mentored learning', between this and point 1, I'd have to say I feel better mentored by my peers than Rmotr itself. A few checks-and-balances to what I'm saying here: I asked for mentors-help at weird times (e.g. Sunday evening) and I probably should have been in the beginner's camp (as the material was too dense for me to get through in the 4-week time frame). All in all, I'm very happy I chose RMOTR and would give you my business again under the right circumstances. Thanks so much

• Mohamed • Student

I really liked the project groups approach. It was probably the part I learnt the most.

Poeple in general at RMOTR were also part of the great experience. They were always willing to help and availble at any time. Definitely recommend this course.

• Challenging
    Viet • Student

The people at RMOTR, whether they are the instructors, mentors, or fellow students, are perhaps the best part of the RMOTR experience. Everyone is very helpful, kind, and they all want you to understand the material.

"What follows is my perspective as a student who literally picked up coding earlier this year in January 2017. For others, I under these criticisms may not apply. At multiple points in the course, I found myself in way over my head in terms of the difficulty of the projects. This is both a good and bad thing. It's good because it is helpful to learn difficult concepts. But on the other hand, the feeling of helplessness during some of the projects left me very drained. Especially with further projects on the horizon with even more difficult and novel concepts. For example, after trying to learn one library or module in one project, we are thrown into a new project where we have to tackle even more modules, novel syntax from other frameworks, and even more new syntax from SQL databases. I am happy to try and learn all of these things. But all at once, in a 2-3 hour coding session, is quite daunting. I would have appreciated more practice and familiarity with some of these modules/libraries and concepts outside of the coding sessions. I'm not sure what could or could not be done with the 'learn' environment. In the latter half of the course, 'learn' is used a lot less and while I'm not sure the comparison to the Introductory Course is apt here, but in that course, the 'learn' assignments were much more helpful in preparation for the coding sessions and projects. Lastly, the more difficult projects seem like they would take most people quite some time to complete, necessitating more coding sessions. It can be difficult to arrange times outside the allotted schedule with other students and mentors to get help. P.S. - You guys should clone Jason Symons."

• Francisco Nascimento • Student

The people, the mentors, and the way the projects are designed to show us how to code for real.

The only thing I think could be done better is to give us at least a day between a class and the first coding session of that week. This way, we get the chance to really look through the material and get acquainted with it before we are thrown off the deep end with a project.

• John Netherland • Student

Mentors truly worked at your pace even when it must have been infuriating.

2 small things I didn't like. The time projects actually took was usually well over the 3 hour projected time. This led to several late nights and burned me out at the end of the course. Second small thing, the lectures skimmed over some material that became extremely important when doing a project. Sometimes felt that they lectures only hit the broadest of topics and we were supposed to research the tiny topics on our own time, most of my own time was spent trying to finish up prior projects.

• So much learning!
    Petter • Student

"The amount of material covered was great, I felt I gained a much stronger grasp of Python during this course. I really like the instructors, and I find curriculum is really well structured. I'm a big fan and I will return when you have more courses that appeal to me, I'm even considering taking the Django class in a few months. Thanks for doing an amazing job!!"

I felt I took on too much by going directly from Intro to Python into Advanced Python. I would love if there was a bridge module that we could take, that consisted of several projects of the same complexity as the last few in Intro, first few of the Advanced class, basically involved object oriented programming problems. This combined with weekly meeting with mentors would have helped me solidify my skills before taking on the large workload and overwhelming amount of information of the advanced class. If I were to do it again, I would make sure that the advanced class was the only thing I had to focus on, as the amount of work is significantly more than the intro class. Waiting a month or two with active programming in Python would also have helped me.

• Trevor Monterrey • Student

I loved the fixed schedule, I would have never forced myself to read that much and work on projects that much on my own. I also really liked the exercises on the Learn platform, they just seemed to fit perfectly for cementing/applying what you just read. Simple enough to figure out in not too long of time, but with enough twist to make you think and make sure you actually understand what you just read.

I didn't really like working in groups on the projects. I feel more comfortable learning and experimenting with things on my own. In the groups, it either felt like your partner was leaving you behind, or you might be leaving your partner behind, but if you taught everything to your partner and made sure they understood everything, the project would take twice as long.

• Matthew Conrrado • Student

The instructors and the lab technology worked well. I have taken several online courses and have gotten bogged down in trying to make the labs work or getting them set up. But rmotr's set up worked well and I could focus on learning the course material.

A bit more instruction on your Learn platform would have been great. until about the third week I didn't figure out how to go back to a previous try at an answer.

• Guillermo • Student

The excessive makes you get the concepts one way o the other.

I think there should be a list of reference materials like books, online tutorials etc. That may help someone that still does not understand the concepts.

• Michelle Bran • Student

Having a strict schedule (clear start and end date to the class, scheduled classes) with a short timeline (4 weeks) and lots of accountability (through all the required group work, having to join the Zoom sessions, mandatory human interaction) were all extremely helpful for a non-committal, procrastinating person like me. I usually never finish classes or I slack off, but RMOTR's class somehow pulled out a new level of dedication. I think out of all of those, being in a class with "real people" and interacting with each other was the most helpful in terms of keeping me coming and and staying on track. Taking other online courses can sometimes feel isolating, but RMOTR did the absolute best it could in relieving that.

I have mixed feelings about amount of resources given on the material. If I were not already aware of and familiar with all of the concepts covered, I imagine that the links for reading material would not be enough. The lectures to cover concepts were not that detailed either. I think what filled me in most were the Learn exercises and the group projects, so I would suggest having even more Learn exercises (double the amount, especially for the OOP and Advanced OOP sections) OR adding another project per week on Tuesdays instead of having just a Learn exercise group work day. I think Monday & Tuesday sessions were the least helpful because we wouldn't cover much in the Zoom session and we didn't do any projects those days either.

• Teja • Student

I really enjoyed the structured approach and the accountability that comes with working with teammates.

Instructors sometimes had poor internet connection experiences so it was hard to hear them at times, but it was just few times. Not sure if it should be considered as an issue.

• Kyle Park • Student

What I loved the most are group projects.

I thought I work better alone, but working in groups with other people was an amazing experience.

• Educational
    - 6/13/2017
    Jared • Student

I definitelly learned a lot of new things. It was maybe too fast paced for me, but that's probably a personal problem. I really enjoyed it.