rmotr-logo

Rolling Start Date
    $349
    TRY FOR FREE
    Monthly payments available.
    Monthly: $349. Bundle (4 months): $1099.
    Basic python skills
    All the prep work is provided by us.
    Interview
  • Web Development with Django

MySQL, MongoDB, Git, Python, Django, SQL, CSS, Linux, Data Structures, Algorithms
    $349
    TRY FOR FREE
    Monthly: $349. Pay as you go.
    Monthly: $349. Bundle (4 months): $1099.
    Basic python skills
    We provide the required prep work.
    Interview

Jennifer • Graduate
Response From: Santiago Basulto of RMOTR
Title: Instructor
Friday, Feb 02 2018

Thanks for your feedback. I'll answer between lines. But before that, you think we deserve a 1-star rate? I personally remember helping you on Sundays while working on coding assignments. We have many things to learn and improve, we know it, but I don't the score you gave us is fair.

> After taking the introduction to python course, I'm not sure that the other reviewers took the same course I did.

Well, I don't know, maybe the other +100 people are all wrong! Everybody has their own opinions I guess.

> Because of the scheduled course times and promises of adding projects to our github profiles, I assumed this was a well-structured course with clear goals and expectations, but this course felt disorganized and disjointed. The syllabus is a bulleted list with no description of lessons or assignments, no dates.

Sorry if you felt it didn't follow your expected structure. Our platform has the dates of each one of the classes and the topics covered by those classes. All our students know what they have to work on during each week thanks to it.

> The lectures left me feeling unprepared for the assignments, and the lectures were very short compared to what I expected (often ending quite early). I expected 4 hours of lecture material prepared each week, but at least two of those hours were for working on assigments (as individuals or groups).

We have the right amount of time divided into REAL coding and explanations. We've tested this for over 2 years now.

> Working in groups was extremely inconvenient, and I would have preferred about triple the amount of individual assignments during the first 3-4 weeks of the course, and then work on larger projects as a group (or individual, if preferred) during the last couple weeks once we all got used to working with github and the IDE, and comfortable with the overall flow of the course.

Developing human skills is fundamental for any programmer, and that's why we make our students start working in groups as early as the second week. If you delay it, you're just making it more difficult. If you had issues with simple assignments during the first weeks, do you think it's going to be easier with more complicated projects later?

> There was a distinct lack of awareness or interest in accessibility: transcripts are not provided for the lectures (I asked)

Accessibility is indeed an issue and we're trying to improve it. Full blame taken here.

> there is a heavy reliance on Google hangouts for voice and video communication. The teacher hopped around a lot when sharing his screen, flipflopping between tabs and windows, which made it very difficult to follow.

We try to show a real programming experience, it's not a recorded video. We have to switch from coding to slides to resources and images. It's hard to do it without switching tabs. At least in a live class.

> The slides are provided for the lectures, but they are not super helpful, and they are white text on a blue background, and therefore not easily printable or useful for note-taking

Sorry, I didn't know you wanted to print the slides. I'll keep that in mind for the next ones, providing notes for them. A text version might be useful.

> In hindsight, I wish I'd requested a refund

You should! Please go ahead and do it. You'll be the second we've received after +600 students.

> RMOTR's intro to python course is probably great for people who have much more coding experience than I have, and are just looking to learn a little bit of Python to supplement their current skillsets. It is not for true beginners who are looking to learn Python as a first language.

Probably. We usually recommend free intro level courses like Coursera as preparation for our course. We do real programming, it's not just following videos and it requires extra work.

> Slack is used for general course information and off-topic memes or offensive conversations

If you've felt offended in a Slack conversation, please inform us ASAP. We have a strict code of conduct and we don't tolerate inappropriate comments.

> I highly suggest that RMOTR change their format so that it's more of an all-in-one experience, or lay out all the links, supplementing materials, expectations, and hardware/software requirements in one central location.

We'd love to do this, but it's of course really hard and expensive. We rely in battle tested, professional tools as much as we can.

> Mentors are available on a fairly regular basis to answer questions, which was helpful, but I wish that the material had been presented in a way that I didn't need so much handholding.

I'm glad you appreciate the help of real people. Coursera is good but it's not going to help you take that next step of you writing real code.

> The assignments for RMOTR are more about making tests pass, rather than about learning to write code.

I'm a professional developer and my day to day job is making tests pass.

> I feel like RMOTR has a lot more growing to do before I'd recommend this course or this company to anyone.

True that! Thanks for all your feedback.

> I've got many more comments and suggestions but RMOTR should hire me as a consultant if they want my expertise. :)

I'd love to. Can you please email us at jobs@rmotr.com please?

James Curbow • Student