rmotr-logo

RMOTR

RMOTR

RMOTR school offers 4-month online Python web development and data science bootcamps. Students interact with teachers, mentors, and classmates remotely and are equipped with the skills to land a new role in tech with the help of RMOTR career advisors. Trainings include a clear and curated path for the curriculum, scheduled live sessions, and mentor support every week to keep students accountable. Students also participate in creating well-thought, real-life projects to build their own portfolio, and much more.

Prospective students can try full-featured access to a course for free during the whole first week of training (which includes 2 live classes). Students can unsubscribe at any time, no questions asked.

Recent RMOTR Reviews: Rating 4.94

all (136) reviews for RMOTR →

Recent RMOTR News

• Data Science with Python

Rolling Start Date
    $349
    A fully remote course, but with two LIVE classes per week + unlimited mentorship. Learn to use Python to automate every mundane task and perform data analysis with the most popular tools and libraries: Pandas, Matplotlib, Bokeh, Scrapy, etc. It's a 3-month course, led by a real instructor, meeting two times per week in live classes to help keep yourself accountable. Our course is highly practical, you won't learn just Python, but to interact with the whole environment: git, github, test driven developments, deployments, code reviews, etc.
    TRY FOR FREE
    Monthly payments available.
    Monthly: $349. Bundle (4 months): $1099.
    Basic python skills
    All the prep work is provided by us.
    Interview
  • Web Development with Django

MySQL, MongoDB, Git, Python, Django, SQL, CSS, Linux, Data Structures, Algorithms
    $349
    Our "Web Development with Django" course is great for Python developers that are willing to get a job as Web developers or want to create their our products/startups. You will start with a quick overview of all the Django concepts, and jump directly into the most advanced features of the framework. We dedicate a big part of the course to teach you about HTTP concepts, MVC frameworks and RESTful architectures. You will be writing an entire RESTful API using the well know "django-rest-framework" library. The program aims to teach you things that you won't find in most of the common resources, like: good practices based on experience, conventions, most used tools, building reusable Django apps and uploading them to pypi, deploying your Django app or API, etc.
    TRY FOR FREE
    Monthly: $349. Pay as you go.
    Monthly: $349. Bundle (4 months): $1099.
    Basic python skills
    We provide the required prep work.
    Interview

• Awesome course!
    - 2/23/2017
    Vojtech Kotek  User Photo
    Vojtech Kotek • Graduate Verified via GitHub

This course gave me a lot of knew knowledge about python and tools surrounding work with python that I had no idea about! Another added benefit of the course was the community of RMOTR, which is filled with professionals and interesting individuals!

• Michelangelo  User Photo
    Michelangelo • Student Verified via GitHub

Whatever course organized by Rmotr.com it is not just a course. For me, it has been almost a 'life experience': nice people, great mentors, exemplary organization. Coding is a challenge, and Rmotr.com gave me the tools to go one (almost two) step(s) further.

• Julien • Graduate

I'm very happy I chose RMOTR as a first online introduction to Data Science.

The main reason is how the course is structured. Most online courses will have you start working on data science libraries right away. This is a mistake in my opinion.

It is important to understand and know the basics of Python before using these libraries. Otherwise, you're going to miss the fundamentals which will hinder your development if you want to take things further.

RMOTR starts with 2 months of Python before teaching you data science libraries which I thought was very helpful.

Something else that is very important: teachers are great and knowledgable. They are always available to answer questions of all types, whether about an exercice you are stuck on, or even career development.

Joining RMOTR means you are part of a community which helps staying on top of news, interesting articles & projects. You can also post your problem to the community and get help from other students.

Obvisouly not everything is perfect. Here is what I think they could do better:

- Sometimes the exercices they give are pretty difficult compared to the material we learned in class. I would have loved it if there were hints in some of the exercices to help solve the problem.

- During Christmas holidays, it wasn't 100% clear what the schedule was. The agenda switched a bit during that period, and communication could have been better.

Overall, I recommend this program if you are looking to get into data science, and especially if you prefer taking an option where you have an actual class and community with a teacher going over the material. This is what I was looking for in contrast with the self paced options. I wanted to have classes every week to stay motivated.

- 2/25/2019
    Rich • Graduate
    I could not have asked for a more engaging experience!

Not even at my University level did I meet any instructors who were as engaging and commited as those who guided me through the program at RMOTR. Amazing value for price.

Instructors/Curriculum

From the instructors, at every level, I found the most understanding patience of the learning process. This level of understanding is also reflected through RMOTR's UX, the website navigates through the curriculm, which I found to give a great in-depth lesson into Python, Django and Data Science(using Python).

Commitment

This program does run quite a commitment, though there is a bit more freedom than in-person bootcamps. What I loved most about the program was that the classes were recorded and posted to review within hours, this was phenomenal with revisiting and graping a better hold to lessons.

Final Project

The final project is a fun and intense dash of work. Working collaboratively(if you so chose to work in a group) is a great lesson in taking refining project scopes, identifying goals, working toward these goals, adjusting, and presenting.

Conclusion

I would highly reccomend RMOTR to any individual who is interested in learning Python and interested in either Django and/or Data Science. It was absoluetely a blast learning and feeling the trenches of a lesson and emerging with a better understanding. Much like a good workout, it's going to work you to a better inidividual.

• Julia • Student

I attended the Intro to Python rmotr's course in November, and had a great experience. I loved the way how lectures were organised, with a clear path to go from point A to B, know what to do and when to do it. I guess that's one of the hardest part of learning. Knowing how to avoid wasting time reading or looking for resources that are not good enough. Mentors were also really helpful and kind. I had a few issues with the class time, and I couldn't attend to a few of them. I hope they could support more timezones for people out of US.

• Berenice • Graduate
    The incredibly detailed online explanation, and mentor support. No knowledge gaps to guess.   I didn't felt quite comfortable with the students platform. The first class I wasn't able to connect with it, so I couldn't attend to class.   Aside from that, it was a great overall experience.
  • Dan Tembe • Graduate
    Really great instructors and mentors. The online classes were a friendly environment with a wide range of competences amongst students. I didn't feel any anxiety asking for clarifications. Santiago, our instructor, was very responsive and made all of our questions were answered.   For the most part, it was excellent. Personally, for me, I learn more when I see programmers solve and write code, as they explain. If I had a wish, I would ask that some time, maybe at the beginning of the class is spent going over exercises from last class.
  • Kevin Hsu • Graduate

I attended to rmotr's online free python course in September and had a very good experience. Very charismatic instructors that were able to break down concepts very simply. The students platform was quite good, easy to use and intuitive. We were using Zoom for videoconferences, and it required some previous software installations. Maybe google HO would have been easier to  use. Not much to critic aside from that. Being a free training, it's a great deal.

• Anna Sedlar • Graduate

First time I see such a live instruction, during the period of one month, and for free. They did a very good job, and I'm surprised of how generous they are. I wish the final week/class in the free course was more robust - seemed like it was more a wrap-up but would have loved as much more instruction as possible!

• Ryan Ch'ng • Graduate

I subscribed to rmotr's free Python course with almost no Python experience, and after a month I now have a basic notion of it. Considering it was a free training, that means a lot. Sadly, I had a really hard time attending classes, due to my local timezone.

• Brian K Spears • Graduate

I loved the fact that I could do this at home, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to graduate from any other school because I work everyday and arrive home late at night.

I don't have much to say about RMOTR, it's just a good place to learn Python, period. There was a stumble the first day with software related issues, but everything else was great.

Sadly they don't offer much variety in terms of technology. All courses are about Python and related stuff. I will keep an eye to their website, hopping they are more courses soon.

• Sungo Afonso • Student

That's was my first experience learning remotely with real instructors! I liked, I recommend all people that want learn python to subscribe in rmotr.com.

There are lots of projects to practice and improve our knowledge and you can spend time with mentors who will help you with any questions you have.

I only struggled a bit with the class time! For my timezone its recommend to start in 7 PM EU or in weekend.

• Sudhir Menon • Graduate

Mentor hours and group projects were a big plus in RMOTR's program. It would be great if they introduce some TDD practices in between, but it's just a suggestion.

There's also a ton of exercises to practice if you have enough time. You won't get bored for sure! It was sometimes hard to catch up if I missed a class, because the pace was quite intensive.

I'm still waiting for the official certificate, that we are supposed to get after graduation.

• Naveed Agboatwala • Graduate

I tried many different ways of learning Python online (Udemy, Codecademy, and many other). Many of them are really cool, and I also learnt some topics. But, what I liked the most about RMOTR's program is the teachers and mentors interaction. That's what makes these programs differentiate from other self-paced solo-learning ones. I loved that. Most of the written comunication was exclusively on slack. I didn't like that. I'd like annoucements to come in email too.

• Mary Musimire • Graduate

I found particularly interesting how all lessons and classes were detailed thought and talked about specific topics or practices that is not easy to find in books or surfing Internet. That's what I expected to get from an instructor-lead course like this. Everything else can be found online.

My local timezone didn't match very well with class times, but that's actually my personal issue. Sometimes it was hard for me to attend classes on time, or stay awake during the whole class time.

• bk • Senior Database Administrator

I signed up for the web development track and they immediately failed to meet even the most basic assumptions.  Their platform appears to be about average but it was so buggy that I was submitting tickets several times a day trying to get them to fix it.  From there it's worse because they don't respond in a timely fashion.  Additionally, their "unlimited mentor support" really means a couple nights a week and if you're lucky you might get help on a weekend.

I'm a very experienced developer in other languages and have a little experience in python.

I give them a flat F for failing to think this through.  It very much feels like something they're running out of their basement to make some side cash.

• Failure to launch!
    - 12/15/2017
    Asem • Applicant

Well I actually didn't get the chance to try their courses because they failed to attend our very first session! I was scheduled for an interview regarding their Data Science course, and they even sent me 2 reminders on the day of the interview, then guess what, RMOTR interviewer didn't show up?! I spent the next 30 mins hoping someone will show up, I even checked the time and date again just to make sure I didn't miss anything. I also used their live chatting service, no response there as well! A horoble experience without ever attending a single session!

• Disappointing
    - 8/22/2017
    Jennifer • Graduate

After taking the introduction to python course, I'm not sure that the other reviewers took the same course I did. Because of the scheduled course times and promises of adding projects to our github profiles, I assumed this was a well-structured course with clear goals and expectations, but this course felt disorganized and disjointed. The syllabus is a bulleted list with no description of lessons or assignments, no dates. The lectures left me feeling unprepared for the assignments, and the lectures were very short compared to what I expected (often ending quite early). I expected 4 hours of lecture material prepared each week, but at least two of those hours were for working on assigments (as individuals or groups). Working in groups was extremely inconvenient, and I would have preferred about triple the amount of individual assignments during the first 3-4 weeks of the course, and then work on larger projects as a group (or individual, if preferred) during the last couple weeks once we all got used to working with github and the IDE, and comfortable with the overall flow of the course.

There was a distinct lack of awareness or interest in accessibility: transcripts are not provided for the lectures (I asked), and there is a heavy reliance on Google hangouts for voice and video communication. The teacher hopped around a lot when sharing his screen, flipflopping between tabs and windows, which made it very difficult to follow. He was very receptive when I brought it up to him, but the fact that I even had to bring it up (and the fact that providing transcripts is not something they will do) told me a lot. A RMOTR employee in the slack chat also used disabled slurs and did not respond when I messaged them privately.

The slides are provided for the lectures, but they are not super helpful, and they are white text on a blue background, and therefore not easily printable or useful for note-taking.

The course was advertised as a good introduction for anyone who wants to learn Python, and listed Codecademy's Python course as a good starting point and prerequesite. Other than Codecademy, I have very little coding experience, and felt completely unprepared for this course. The instructor and mentors kept saying "it'll all make sense soon" and I kept holding out hoping the next lesson would be "the one" where they tied it all together, but it never happened, and eventually 6 weeks passed.

In hindsight, I wish I'd requested a refund.

Out of desperate frustration around week 4, I searched for ways to supplement this course and to do what I set out to do (learn Python), and i discovered coursera's Intro to Python specialization program. This turned out to be much more appropriate for a beginner, and it actually covered much more material in a much shorter time-- if you've got no programming experience and want a more structured educational experience, you might try that instead of RMOTR.

The online environment needs some work: There's a students section and a learn section for individual assignments and for accessing lectures, and it's not clear which is which without loading them. The RMOTR environment for individual assignments is terrible if you need to higher magnification. Zoom is used for lectures, Hangouts and Cloud9 are expected for group work, Github instruction left a lot to be desired, Slack is used for general course information and off-topic memes or offensive conversations... At one point a google calendar went out, too, but I don't think it was ever updated. I highly suggest that RMOTR change their format so that it's more of an all-in-one experience, or lay out all the links, supplementing materials, expectations, and hardware/software requirements in one central location.

Mentors are available on a fairly regular basis to answer questions, which was helpful, but I wish that the material had been presented in a way that I didn't need so much handholding. With Coursera, all I needed to do was review the course materials a little more before figuring out the problems myself. The material really isn't available through RMOTR-- you really have to ask for help if you get stuck and don't have previous Python experience. The assignments for RMOTR are more about making tests pass, rather than about learning to write code.

I took this course because I heard about it through their new partnership with Women Who Code, and I feel like RMOTR has a lot more growing to do before I'd recommend this course or this company to anyone.

Response From: Santiago Basulto of RMOTR
    Title: Instructor
    Friday, Feb 02 2018
    Thanks for your feedback. I'll answer between lines. But before that, you think we deserve a 1-star rate? I personally remember helping you on Sundays while working on coding assignments. We have many things to learn and improve, we know it, but I don't the score you gave us is fair.> After taking the introduction to python course, I'm not sure that the other reviewers took the same course I did.Well, I don't know, maybe the other +100 people are all wrong! Everybody has their own opinions I guess.> Because of the scheduled course times and promises of adding projects to our github profiles, I assumed this was a well-structured course with clear goals and expectations, but this course felt disorganized and disjointed. The syllabus is a bulleted list with no description of lessons or assignments, no dates.Sorry if you felt it didn't follow your expected structure. Our platform has the dates of each one of the classes and the topics covered by those classes. All our students know what they have to work on during each week thanks to it.> The lectures left me feeling unprepared for the assignments, and the lectures were very short compared to what I expected (often ending quite early). I expected 4 hours of lecture material prepared each week, but at least two of those hours were for working on assigments (as individuals or groups). We have the right amount of time divided into REAL coding and explanations. We've tested this for over 2 years now. > Working in groups was extremely inconvenient, and I would have preferred about triple the amount of individual assignments during the first 3-4 weeks of the course, and then work on larger projects as a group (or individual, if preferred) during the last couple weeks once we all got used to working with github and the IDE, and comfortable with the overall flow of the course.Developing human skills is fundamental for any programmer, and that's why we make our students start working in groups as early as the second week. If you delay it, you're just making it more difficult. If you had issues with simple assignments during the first weeks, do you think it's going to be easier with more complicated projects later?> There was a distinct lack of awareness or interest in accessibility: transcripts are not provided for the lectures (I asked)Accessibility is indeed an issue and we're trying to improve it. Full blame taken here.> there is a heavy reliance on Google hangouts for voice and video communication. The teacher hopped around a lot when sharing his screen, flipflopping between tabs and windows, which made it very difficult to follow.We try to show a real programming experience, it's not a recorded video. We have to switch from coding to slides to resources and images. It's hard to do it without switching tabs. At least in a live class.> The slides are provided for the lectures, but they are not super helpful, and they are white text on a blue background, and therefore not easily printable or useful for note-takingSorry, I didn't know you wanted to print the slides. I'll keep that in mind for the next ones, providing notes for them. A text version might be useful.> In hindsight, I wish I'd requested a refundYou should! Please go ahead and do it. You'll be the second we've received after +600 students.> RMOTR's intro to python course is probably great for people who have much more coding experience than I have, and are just looking to learn a little bit of Python to supplement their current skillsets. It is not for true beginners who are looking to learn Python as a first language.Probably. We usually recommend free intro level courses like Coursera as preparation for our course. We do real programming, it's not just following videos and it requires extra work.> Slack is used for general course information and off-topic memes or offensive conversationsIf you've felt offended in a Slack conversation, please inform us ASAP. We have a strict code of conduct and we don't tolerate inappropriate comments.> I highly suggest that RMOTR change their format so that it's more of an all-in-one experience, or lay out all the links, supplementing materials, expectations, and hardware/software requirements in one central location.We'd love to do this, but it's of course really hard and expensive. We rely in battle tested, professional tools as much as we can.> Mentors are available on a fairly regular basis to answer questions, which was helpful, but I wish that the material had been presented in a way that I didn't need so much handholding. I'm glad you appreciate the help of real people. Coursera is good but it's not going to help you take that next step of you writing real code.> The assignments for RMOTR are more about making tests pass, rather than about learning to write code.I'm a professional developer and my day to day job is making tests pass.> I feel like RMOTR has a lot more growing to do before I'd recommend this course or this company to anyone.True that! Thanks for all your feedback.> I've got many more comments and suggestions but RMOTR should hire me as a consultant if they want my expertise. :)I'd love to. Can you please email us at jobs@rmotr.com please?
  • James Curbow • Student

The course was built on top of three main concepts: exercises, projects, and instructors. I truly learned a lot out of them.

I found a little bit tough to commit to the amount of time recommended to attend the course.

• Conor Kennedy • Student

I really loved being able to ask for help and being guided to the answer not given the answer. I think mentors did a great job during my cohort.

Anyway, have four weekly sessions was kind of rough for me.

• Paige Lo • Student

I found really interesting how well designed each project was during the course. It was not just a bunch of assignments. They were specially thought to practice each of the concepts learnt during the classes.

I also really liked the way instructors explained topics using slides and sharing screen in their computers. In my old experience with other schools, instructors were teaching concepts by typing sample snippeds that many times were boring or not really giving a good example of the topic we were covering.

Aside from everything else, the human factor involved in RMOTR is probably the greatest aggregated value this school has. I really loved the community and the group of classmates I had.

If you have enough time to commit, I recomment it.

• Thomas Cabe • Student

I like the forced accountability that encouraged me to to a lot of work. I was also pushed out of my comfort zone. I was learning Python at a much slower pace before the class, and now I feel like I have a good foundation to more forward at an accelerated pace.

The schedule is a little too rigorous. But I think that may have a lot to do with me having next to no coding experience. I felt like a lot of the time most of the other students were much further ahead of me while I was catching up. Perhaps in the future, maybe encourage people more and let them know that being behind is okay and that they should not feel intimidated. But in the end, I got a lot out of it so it turned out ok :)

• Crash course
    - 6/19/2017
    Yana • Student

Having mentor help available and group projects was the part I loved the most. I knew this way of working works very well for me, but in previous experiences everything happened in person. Achieving the same great experience in an online environment seems very challenging, but this guys managed to do it pretty well.

Recommended.

• Jacquan Clinton • Student

What I liked most was the challenges and the instructors abilities to get me to think out the problem and a practical solution.

Class times were sometimes a bit tough for me, but that's totally a personal issue. I would have loved to have more free time, so I could attend to all sessions.

People involved in this program are great, and the syllabus totally covered my needs

• Michal Nalsan • Student

I was impressed of the cool platform RMOTR built to foster the collaborative work remotly. I liked the collaborative coding and individual approach of great mentors.

Curriculom in general is good. I liked that they mentioned many times related topics, that maybe were not explained in details, but at least let us know those topics exist and give us the chance to learn them by ourself later.

A good example of that is MongoDB, that is not included in the scope of this couse, but let me know at least a bit about it and allowed me to keep learning by myown.