penn-boot-camps-logo

Penn Boot Camps

Philadelphia

Penn Boot Camps

Penn Boot Camps offer 12-week, full-time and 24-week, part-time programs in web development, and 24-week, part-time cybersecurity, data analysis, and financial technology (FinTech) programs. The full stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, Node.js, databases, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git.

The cybersecurity curriculum offers hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

The data curriculum includes programming in Excel, Python, R programming, JavaScript charting, HTML/CSS, API interactions, SQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, machine learning, and more. Enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience.

The fintech curriculum covers Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, blockchain, and more.

Applicants do not need programming experience to enroll, but once admitted, all learners will complete a pre-course tutorial. Penn Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and individuals who are actively pursuing a career change, advancement or looking to gain a new skillset.

Throughout the 12- or 24-week bootcamps, learners have access to portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and 1:1 career coaching. At the end of the program, learners receive a Certificate of Completion, showcasing their accomplishments to future employers and will also have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, data science, or financial technology, or skills applicable to certifications in cybersecurity.

Penn Boot Camps are offered in collaboration with Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent Penn Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.79

all (57) reviews for Penn Boot Camps →

Recent Penn Boot Camps News

Read all (7) articles about Penn Boot Camps →
  • Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    Penn Cybersecurity Boot Camp is a challenging, part-time boot camp that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security. Throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks, you will get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture.
  • Data Analysis and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    This boot camp is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python and R programming, JavaScript charting, SQL databases, Tableau, machine learning, and more. Throughout the boot camp, you will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more — allowing you to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
    Payment plans available
  • Financial Technology - Part-Time

Excel, Algorithms, Cryptocurrency, SQL, Python, Machine Learning, Blockchain
    LocationPhiladelphia
    Get hands-on training and instruction in financial technology and analysis using popular tools and methods including Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, and blockchain. Maintain your current schedule by studying the competitive curriculum part-time, and gain access to career services like resume and portfolio reviews, interview training, and 1:1 coaching.
    Payment plans available
  • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationPhiladelphia
    Penn LPS Coding Boot Camp is a 12-week, full-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

MySQL, MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js
    LocationPhiladelphia
    Penn LPS Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development boot camp. The full stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, React.js, databases, MongoDB, Node.js, MySQL, Command Line, Git, and more. Gain real-world experience through complex projects and build a professional portfolio that demonstrates your knowledge. Benefit from a wide range of career services to be positioned for success in the job market including portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, workshops, and mock interviews.

• $500 Penn Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Penn Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• All courses in Philadelphia
    • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time (Philadelphia)
    • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time (Philadelphia)
    • All courses in Philadelphia
    • Financial Technology - Part-Time (Philadelphia)
    • Data Analysis and Visualization - Part-Time (Philadelphia)
    • All courses in Philadelphia
    • Cybersecurity - Part-Time (Philadelphia)
  • Roman Verner  User Photo
    Roman Verner • Lag Manager • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Disclaimer: I'm currently enrolled in the program and have about 10 weeks to go.

The Penn LPS program I imagine is a pretty standard full-stack development program. You meet several times a week for class, and are given homework assignments and group projects to work on outside of class. In-class time totals 10 hours each week, and outside-of-class work takes anywhere between 10-20 hours per week. The pace is fast for anyone with no prior HTML/CSS experience, but they give you some pre-work before your first class to help you get caught up on key-topics.

Our instructor is amazing and truly cares about everyone's success. He is patient and really takes time to teach topics in an easy-to-digest fashion. The class itself usually consists of lectures and activities. Activities can range from small code snippets each student copletes on their own computer, to more longer-form activities whereby you spend 20-40 minutes working on a standalone application. Sometimes the activities can span the entire class and require groupwork. The class-style is varied and keeps the course interesting and fast-paced. Every class also has several TA's to help students during assignments.

Each student is also assigned a career-success coach, who follows them along the way. My success-coach has been instrumental in helping with my resume and portfolio, and I already have a few job interviews lined up before the program even ends.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely! The program's structure is fantastic, the career team truly cares about your success, and on top of all of that, you get the name and recognition of Penn!

Summary

Class Structure:

• Tuesdays & Thursdays from 6:30PM to 9:30PM
    • Saturdays from 10AM to 2PM

Assignments:

• Weekly homework
    • Three large projects during the course of the program

Career Help:

• Students get career-success coach/advisor
    • Penn organizes demo-days for students to show off their work to local employers
    • Interview prep
    • Networking events
    Monday, Feb 18 2019
    We appreciate you taking the time to share your current experience, Roman! We're thrilled you're enjoying the curriculum and dynamic group projects. We're happy our career services team has been instrumental in your professional development and are excited about your upcoming job interviews. Keep up the great work, we're cheering you on as you continue towards completing the program!
  • Venkat Avinash Karra  User Photo
    Venkat Avinash Karra • Web-Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

With Electronics and Communication Engineering as an educational background with a Masters Degree, with work experience in Operation and Sales, Now I want to share my experience of this program how it influenced my life.

When I started the program, I have zero knowledge of coding, especially Front-END. After week-1 I was a little overconfident. But when I started my first homework, I still remember I spent an extra 7 hours in my office to finish it.
    On week-3 after the introduction of Javascript, it was a Roller Coaster. But I used my helpline (Mr.Bernard) who introduced me to Richard Debrah. He is very patient and tried to clarify all my doubts in once a week.

My Instructor Mr.Ed, He always loves to share his knowledge and he does so in a very fun and engaging way. It was a very fun class, and I learned a lot. He took his teaching duties very seriously and it was obvious that he cared about the comprehension level of each student. Mr.Eric, TA always shows his enthusiasm in clearing doubts for everyone.

Finally, It is my life changing the curriculum. It is very organized and very encouraging.

Thursday, Feb 14 2019
    Thank you, Venkat! We're thrilled you successfully learned the fundamentals of web development and felt supported by our entire instructional team — we also think Ed, Richard, and Eric are fantastic. Congratulations on completing the program, we're cheering you on in all your future aspirations!
  • K.Wang  User Photo
    K.Wang • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Hello World!

As part of the first cohort of the Penn LPS Coding Bootcamp, I had little information to go off of. I chose this program, run in partnership with Trilogy Education Services, over others because I expected its affiliation with a leading university would suggest high standards of resources.

Every aspect of this program unequivocally exceeded my expectations. When I began the 24-week program, I was completing my final semester of a bachelor degree. The demands of the bootcamp homework are tantamount to that of a university course, so I personally don’t recommend attempting this feat. However, I am deeply grateful for the abundance of support from the program team, which allowed me to reach the finish line and develop a solid grasp on a range of topics in web development.

I also appreciated the ability to learn by interacting with peers. The flexible, part-time nature of the class hours allows for a diverse set of students. With Slack, were able to be in constant communication with each other, as well as with the teaching and support team. The enthusiasm and encouragement from all directions played a key role in drawing out motivation during the travails of the curriculum.

Through building real-world applications, both individually and in teams, this bootcamp equipped us with a skillset highly relevant to the job market. Additionally, career services were offered during and after completion of the course and provided us with guidance throughout the job process from revamping our CV’s to conducting interviews. I was impressed by the amount of growth in knowledge and preparedness I felt entering the professional industry.

For these reasons and more, I urge you to invest in this rewarding and valuable experience!

Thursday, Feb 07 2019
    Thank you so much, K.Wang! We're thrilled our course exceeded your expectations and that you utilized all the boot camp's resources. Congratulations on successfully completing the program, we wish you continued success in your future endeavors!
  • Thomas Leis  User Photo
    Thomas Leis • Software Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

One of the best decisions I have ever made hands down! I had absolutely zero experience when I started and in only eight months I became a software engineer. I still can't fully believe it yet, but it's true. It should have taken longer I know this, but God blessed me with these opportunites and I haven't looked back since. I have my all the wonderful teachers and teacher assistants at Penn LPS to thank of course, in addition to an incredible career services team that helped build my resume and craft a great cover later (two of my biggest weaknesses).

That being said, it was a terrifying experience while being in the middle of it. And I'd be lying if I didn't say that many times I felt like the dumbest person in the room. But that's bootcamp. The key is to learn how to be comfortable in uncomfortable situations. And I've come to realize it's the only way any of us, no matter what we do in this life, can grow as people.  And I certainly did grow .I grew to love my time at the boot camp, the whole process and the wonderful people, my peers, who I had the pleasure of sharing this incredible journey with. And even now, as crazy as it may be to think or say, I actually miss it. Anyway, that's my review. They give you the road map and if you're willing to follow it, amazing things can and will happen.

Thursday, Feb 07 2019
    We're so glad you enjoyed the program, Thomas! It's great to hear you had a positive participant experience and felt supported not only by our entire team but by your classmates as well. Congratulations on completing the course and thank you for your review! We are cheering you on in all your coding goals.
  • Megan Anthony  User Photo
    Megan Anthony • Software Engineer • Student Verified via GitHub

My background was very tangential to tech before the boot camp. I managed a coworking space and planned events. I knew I had a steep road ahead by joining this program. Thankfully, the teachers, teaching assistants( , and Bernard) were incredibly helpful and attentive. At certain points, they would even explain line by line what my code was doing/saying so that I could understand how to fix the issues myself. They were patient with me and as excited as I was when I had a breakthrough. They took the fear away from learning to code and helped to understand it as if JavaScript were as easy as English.

Needless to say, the teaching team, career services, and the operations team are all invested in helping you succeed in your new career. I had members from the teaching team reach out and congratulate me on my first job offer, and honestly, I think they may have been more excited than I was(which is almost impossible).

If you were to ask me if the program was hard, yes, absolutely, but is it worth it? Again, the answer is an overwhelming yes! I still can't believe I have the job I have, and the beautiful friendships I've made since joining and completing this program.

I cannot stress enough how much happier I am since joining this boot camp. I urge you if you're considering a boot camp to really look at Penn LPS. It is a great way to invest in yourself, but also, it is wonderful knowing that someone else is also invested in you, and rooting for you to succeed.

Wednesday, Feb 06 2019
    Amazing, Megan! Thank you for choosing our program to make such a significant career change. We're passionate about what we do, so we're thrilled to hear you found our entire team to be supportive and encouraging. Congratulations on successfully completing the course and landing an exciting new role! We wish you continued success in all your future goals.
  • R. Reitz  User Photo
    R. Reitz • Full Stack Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am an experienced developer with 15 years in .NET and SQL working mostly back end.  I joined this bootcamp to expand my skillset and explore broader opportunities, and I was not disappointed by the results.

Starting from vanilla HTML and CSS, and working up through the full MERN stack of JavaScrip frameworks (Mongo, Express, React, Node), I covered more ground, faster, than I ever could have on my own.

With a dedicated team of instructors and TAs, along with the help and encouragement of our Student Success Manager and Career Coach, we went from know-little beginners to career ready full-stack developers with a rich set of hands-on work and the foundations to build on for our future growth.

Tuesday, Jul 24 2018
    Amazing, R. Reitz! We are thrilled you chose our program, especially as an experienced developer, to expand your skill set and explore broader opportunities. We are passionate about enabling student success, so it's great to hear our entire team was of great help and encouragement throughout your journey. Thank you for sharing your review and congratulations on completing the program! We wish you great success in all your future endeavors.
  • adesola fakiyesi • Graduate
    I am writing this review to encourage anyone to take advantage of the present times and seasons. I came into this Bootcamp because it was online. I love education, and I love reading; however, I am a stay-at-home mum, and going to the city for any classes is almost impossible. As soon as I saw this online, I quickly jumped in. My choice of Penn was because my husband felt an IVY league school would be the best. For me, this course content was fantastic, in-depth, but very rigorous. You have to be on your toes almost 24/7. It was very detailed, so I had to watch many youtube videos and become a goggle addict. My best experience was with my Instructor, TA's, and Tutors. I also had to have a friend in class I always worked with after class, especially when my kids took naps. I enjoyed my six months, and I learned a lot than I could ever have imagined. It was indeed worth it, after all.
    I am looking forward to doing a lot with Tableau and Machine Learning.
    Monday, Mar 29 2021
    Amazing, Adesola! We're glad the online classroom format was conducted successfully and that you found the program to be rigorous and in-depth. It's great to hear you benefited from the support of our instructional team and made a lifelong connection with another classmate. Congratulations on successfully completing the boot camp and thank you for your review! All the best in your future endeavors.
  • Michelle Turner • Student

I decided to go for a program that would allow me to pursue a career change while still working. The course work is intense & definitely requires you to put the time in outside of class. There are many resources (tutors, before & after class office hours, career services, etc that are available & are so invaluable. Definitely recommend this program but you have to be committed to learning this skill & building on what you learn in class.

Monday, Mar 11 2019
    Amazing, Michelle! We're glad to hear you utilized the boot camp's resources and found them to be invaluable. Congratulations on completing the course and thank you for your review! Best of luck in all that you do.
  • Guillermo Barila • Graduate

I have always been interested in software and web development but never thought about it as a potential career. After taking online courses and learning on my own for years, I decided to make this career change a reality and enroll in the Penn Coding Boot Camp. The boot camp focused on teaching the concepts and technologies currently used by tech companies.

My experience was very positive. Although I had some experience and foundation on HTML, CSS and JS it turned out to be a very challenging program. It required a huge investment of time an effort on my part. In the end I learned so much more than I could have ever learned on my own. Looking back at the person that entered the boot camp and the developer I turned into at the end of the program, I am astonished with the transformation.

My instructor and TAs, as well as Career Services were absolutely amazing. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

I definitely recommend this boot camp to any person wanting to make a career change or advance their careers. It is an investment in your future that is well worth the time and money.

Tuesday, Mar 05 2019
    Way to go, Guillermo! We're thrilled you had a positive boot camp experience and were able to successfully learn the fundamentals of full-stack web development. Congratulations on completing the course and thank you for your review! We wish you all the best in your coding endeavors.
  • Timothy Charette • Graduate

I came into this bootcamp with zero coding experience/background. It was clear from the start that it was going to be difficult and involve a lot of hard work on my part. In the beginning I was extremely nervous about being able to complete the bootcamp and obatin my certificate. All of the anxiety and nerves went away in the first few weeks. The  reason is the support from the staff (TA and Instructor) was extremely impressive. They genuinely want every student to succeed and will go out of there way to make sure every student is doing well and understanding the material. Office hours before and after every class as well as a free tutor session very week is available to all students for priceless one on one support, take adavantage of this and understanding the material becomes way easier. Coding can be overwhelming when you first start but taking this bootcamp with Trilogy made it a great experience and very memorable. I know that I have a lot of support after the bootcamp is over because of the friends I made and the network that Trilogy offers is extensive. I highly recommend this bootcamp, I had a great experience.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    We're thrilled you were impressed with our instructional support, Timothy! Our entire team is passionate about helping learners succeed, so we're glad this resonated with you. We appreciate your feedback for prospective participants — taking advantage of the free weekly tutoring truly helps simplify the course material. Congratulations on completing the program and thank you for your review! We're cheering you on in all that you do.
  • Sharday Shaw • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate

So I found out about this bootcamp in June of 2018. Then, in July of 2018 I gave Penn my lifes savings and set out on the experience of a lifetime. The intake process was straight to the point. They gave me a call went over a few basic questions with me and told me about the program. At the end of the call I was sent over a basic exam to gague my understanding of web development. It was simple, timed (30 minutes), about 30 questions and you could browse the internet for the answers. As soon as I finished I got a call back to review my results. During that phone call I was told that I would receive another phone call in the coming days to complete a phone interview. This call took about 15 minutes. Again, the questions were pretty basic and not code related. The next day I was told that I was a good fit and they'd love to have me. For anyone who may be wondering, you do not need to provide any proof of prior education to attend this program. Day 1 was nerve racking. I didn't know what to expect and being 30 years old with a family and a full time job, I was hoping I had made the right decision. The class had about 30 students all from completely different backgrounds The first person I met was Bernard the student success manager. He was super nice and welcoming. He gave a brief introduction and then introduced the MVP... Anthony B. Anthony was introduced as our instructor and without being over the top, I have to say that he was the single greatest choice Penn made for this program.

From the very first day we were coding. The program is set up in a manner where the instructor will introduce a concept, display an example of how to implement it, answere any questions and then give a few examples for you to complete on your own. Throughout the entire 6 months I struggled, EVERY SINGLE DAY... I STRUGGLED. I struggled with the concepts, I struggled with the material, I struggled with the activities, I struggled with everything. Some days I was able to grasp more material than other days but there was not a single day that I did not experience any confusion. Anthony would constantly encourage us to ask questions, but there were days where I was so confused I didn't know to even formulate a question. Anthony always told us "the magic happens at home" and it was the complete truth. On the very first day Anthony also told us that "learning feels like confusion". I'll be up front in saying that I didn't put in the 20 hours of studying until about 4 weeks in when I realized my homework grades were poor. I committed to 1 hour each morning and 1 hour each night of studying and honestly it was only enough to keep my head above water. throughout the program there are 3 group projects. These are targeted at preparing you to work on an actual development team. You get about 2 weeks to prepare the program and then you present it in a 6-10 minute presentation. Project 3 in presented in a tech fair environment where tons of people from the field come out to see you (also this is your time to network and potentially land  job).

I also forgot to mention that we have TA's (teacher assistants) and ours were great!!! Syed, Noah, and Dan are like the smartest kids ever. They could literally help with any problem you had not matter how large or small. The class schedule is set up where you come 2 nights per week for 3.5 hours and saturday morning for 4 hours. Seems like a lot when hearing it, but it sorta flies when you're there. The saturday class is large it gives you a chance to network with the groups who come to class on teh 2 week nights you do not.

Overall, the program was hard to say the least. As noted previously, I struggled the entire time. I attended the weekly tutoring sessions, I came to office hours every night ( 30 minutes before and after class), I got help from every TA and after all that, I still struggled. I doubted myself for 5 and a half months and then demo day came and I realized that Anthony was 100% spot on and those 5 months of confusion I was actually really learning. We were all able to engage with business professionals and discuss all of our learning on a high level and those are the exact skills you need to finess an employer into hiring you (haha).

Now that I have graduated, I am just beginnig to take advantage of career services. The program does not gaurantee you job placement but they do offer resources throughout the program to prepare you for job searching. I am going to my first tech career fair this upcoming week (4 weeks after graduation) and I am completely confident that I will land something good. I've been researching and comparing our program curriculum to what employers want and I am confident that the LPS bootcamp has prepared me to be a competent applicant in the field.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    Thank you, Sharday! We appreciate you sharing a detailed review of your boot camp experience, especially for prospective learners looking to learn more about the course. It's great to hear that from day one, you found our entire team to be helpful and knowledgeable — we also think Bernard, Anthony, Syed, Noah, and Dan are terrific. Great job on utilizing all the available resources, including the weekly tutoring sessions. Congratulations on finishing the program, we commend all your hard work! Best of luck in your future achievements.
  • Coding Bootcamp
    - 2/23/2019
    Godly George • Graduate

Coding bootcamp has helped me in numerous ways. It was a wonderful journey to learn the different concepts of programing technologies seeing how fast technology is growing. Before I go further I would like to say Hats off to the teaching team, they are excellent and was always ready to help. They were amazing and they took their time to guide me into understanding the concepts and they have good knowledge of the subject. It has helped me to go deeper into learning and understanding the functionalities of different softwares. With this experience I am able to look at certain programs I never understood before to make it a challenge to go even further into understanding concepts.  You learn a lot in 6 months. The way the lessons are organized is also really good. Looking back it helps me realize we learned a lot. Also the projects helped us to get a thorough understanding of all that we learned. Overall excellent and if there's a new course I can do through Penn Bootcamp I would go for it.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    Amazing, Godly! We're happy to hear you benefited from the support of our instructional team, especially as they helped you navigate complex concepts. Congratulations on successfully completing the program, we appreciate you sharing your experience! All the best in your future endeavors.