penn-boot-camps-logo

Penn Boot Camps

Philadelphia

Penn Boot Camps

Penn Boot Camps offer 12-week, full-time and 24-week, part-time programs in web development, and 24-week, part-time cybersecurity, data science, and financial technology (FinTech) programs in Philadelphia, Pennslyvania, and online. The full stack curriculum includes HTML, CSS, JavaScript, jQuery, Bootstrap, Express.js, Node.js, databases, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git, with in-person and online options.

The cybersecurity curriculum offers hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity.

The data science curriculum includes programming in Excel, Python, JavaScript charting (D3.js, Leaflet.js), HTML/CSS, API interactions, SQL, Tableau, fundamental statistics, machine learning, and more. Enjoy close collaboration with other professionals while receiving hands-on experience, with in-person and online options.

The FinTech curriculum covers Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, blockchain, and more.

Applicants do not need programming experience to enroll, but once admitted, all learners will complete a pre-course tutorial. Penn Boot Camps are designed for working professionals and individuals who are actively pursuing a career change, advancement or looking to gain a new skillset.

Throughout the 12- or 24-week bootcamps, learners have access to portfolio reviews, resume and social media profile support, high-impact career events, workshops, mock interviews, and 1:1 career coaching. At the end of the program, learners receive a Certificate of Completion, showcasing their accomplishments to future employers and will also have a portfolio of projects demonstrating a working knowledge of web development, data science, or financial technology, or skills applicable to certifications in cybersecurity.

Penn Boot Camps are offered in collaboration with Trilogy Education Services, a 2U, Inc. brand.

Recent Penn Boot Camps Reviews: Rating 4.77

all (54) reviews for Penn Boot Camps →

Recent Penn Boot Camps News

Read all (6) articles about Penn Boot Camps →
  • Cybersecurity - Part-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    At the Cybersecurity Boot Camp, participants get hands-on training in networking, systems, web technologies, databases, and defensive and offensive cybersecurity. You will also learn methods, techniques, and best practices for accurately conveying the severity of the risks facing an organization’s security posture. The Cybersecurity Bootcamp is a challenging, part-time program that takes a multidisciplinary approach to attaining proficiency in IT, networking, and modern information security, throughout the course of 24 intensive weeks.
  • Data Analysis and Visualization (Online) - Part-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    Learn data analysis wherever you are through an innovative format that blends engaging content to work through on your own schedule and live, interactive online classes led by expert instructors. The curriculum teaches the most relevant tools and technologies including programming in Excel, Python, JavaScript charting (D3.js, Leaflet.js), HTML/CSS, API interactions, databases, Tableau, fundamental statistics, machine learning, Git/GitHub, and more. Build a comprehensive portfolio of projects and earn a Certificate of Completion.
  • Data Analysis and Visualization - Part-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    This boot camp is rigorous, fast-paced, and focused on the practical technical skills needed to analyze and solve data problems. Gain proficiency in a broad array of technologies like Excel, Python, JavaScript, SQL databases, Tableau, and more. Applicants do not need experience to enroll, but once admitted, all learners will complete a pre-course tutorial. Throughout the boot camp, you will complete projects using real data sets from the worlds of finance, healthcare, government, social welfare, and more—allowing you to build a strong portfolio with a professional demonstration of mastery.
  • Financial Technology - Part-Time

Excel, Algorithms, Crypocurrency, SQL, Python, Machine Learning, Blockchain
    LocationPhiladelphia
    Get hands-on training and instruction in financial technology and analysis using popular tools and methods including Python programming, financial libraries, machine learning algorithms, Ethereum, and blockchain. Maintain your current schedule by studying the competitive curriculum part-time, only three days a week, with convenient evening and weekend classes. Gain access to career services like resume and portfolio reviews, interview training, and 1:1 coaching.
  • Financial Technology - Part-Time

Excel, Algorithms, Crypocurrency, SQL, Python, Machine Learning, Blockchain
  • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    Penn LPS Coding Boot Camp is a 12-week, full-time web development program. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Participants have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Participants receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position participants for success in the field.
  • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    Penn LPS Coding Boot Camp is a 24-week, part-time web development program. The full-stack curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Participants have access to participate in experiential learning opportunities. Participants receive career-planning services, portfolio reviews, and 1:1 coaching to position participants for success in the field.
  • Full Stack Web Development (Online) Part-Time

LocationPhiladelphia
    Learn to code wherever you are. The full-stack, online curriculum includes HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, jQuery, Node.js, Responsive Design, Heroku, Git, User Authentication, React.js, MySQL, MongoDB, and more. Through hands-on projects and training, participants will complete the coding program in 24 weeks via live, instructor-led lessons. Individuals receive support from a variety of channels, so participants are never alone throughout their online coding boot camp journey. Penn LPS's online coding boot camp gives you the opportunity to “think like a developer.” In addition to learning many of the most in-demand languages and creating your own personal portfolio, you will also partake in an 8-week Agile Team Project that mimics a real-world environment. Enrollees are assigned a piece of the full project (division of tasks into short phases of work and frequent reassessment of adaptation of plans) and then finalize the project together with the assistance of an industry leader who has on average 5-7 years of experience as a software engineer. At the end of this online coding program, you will receive a Certificate of Completion from Penn LPS, helping you stand out to employers.

• $500 Penn Boot Camps Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Penn Boot Camps scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Full Stack Web Development (Online) Part-Time (Philadelphia)
    • Full Stack Flex - Part-Time (Philadelphia)
    • Full Stack Flex - Full-Time (Philadelphia)
    • Financial Technology - Part-Time (Philadelphia)
    • Financial Technology - Part-Time (Philadelphia)
    • Data Analysis and Visualization - Part-Time (Philadelphia)
    • Data Analysis and Visualization (Online) - Part-Time (Philadelphia)
    • Cybersecurity - Part-Time (Philadelphia)
  • K.Wang  User Photo
    K.Wang • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Hello World!

As part of the first cohort of the Penn LPS Coding Bootcamp, I had little information to go off of. I chose this program, run in partnership with Trilogy Education Services, over others because I expected its affiliation with a leading university would suggest high standards of resources.

Every aspect of this program unequivocally exceeded my expectations. When I began the 24-week program, I was completing my final semester of a bachelor degree. The demands of the bootcamp homework are tantamount to that of a university course, so I personally don’t recommend attempting this feat. However, I am deeply grateful for the abundance of support from the program team, which allowed me to reach the finish line and develop a solid grasp on a range of topics in web development.

I also appreciated the ability to learn by interacting with peers. The flexible, part-time nature of the class hours allows for a diverse set of students. With Slack, were able to be in constant communication with each other, as well as with the teaching and support team. The enthusiasm and encouragement from all directions played a key role in drawing out motivation during the travails of the curriculum.

Through building real-world applications, both individually and in teams, this bootcamp equipped us with a skillset highly relevant to the job market. Additionally, career services were offered during and after completion of the course and provided us with guidance throughout the job process from revamping our CV’s to conducting interviews. I was impressed by the amount of growth in knowledge and preparedness I felt entering the professional industry.

For these reasons and more, I urge you to invest in this rewarding and valuable experience!

Thursday, Feb 07 2019
    Thank you so much, K.Wang! We're thrilled our course exceeded your expectations and that you utilized all the boot camp's resources. Congratulations on successfully completing the program, we wish you continued success in your future endeavors!
  • Thomas Leis  User Photo
    Thomas Leis • Software Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

One of the best decisions I have ever made hands down! I had absolutely zero experience when I started and in only eight months I became a software engineer. I still can't fully believe it yet, but it's true. It should have taken longer I know this, but God blessed me with these opportunites and I haven't looked back since. I have my all the wonderful teachers and teacher assistants at Penn LPS to thank of course, in addition to an incredible career services team that helped build my resume and craft a great cover later (two of my biggest weaknesses).

That being said, it was a terrifying experience while being in the middle of it. And I'd be lying if I didn't say that many times I felt like the dumbest person in the room. But that's bootcamp. The key is to learn how to be comfortable in uncomfortable situations. And I've come to realize it's the only way any of us, no matter what we do in this life, can grow as people.  And I certainly did grow .I grew to love my time at the boot camp, the whole process and the wonderful people, my peers, who I had the pleasure of sharing this incredible journey with. And even now, as crazy as it may be to think or say, I actually miss it. Anyway, that's my review. They give you the road map and if you're willing to follow it, amazing things can and will happen.

Thursday, Feb 07 2019
    We're so glad you enjoyed the program, Thomas! It's great to hear you had a positive participant experience and felt supported not only by our entire team but by your classmates as well. Congratulations on completing the course and thank you for your review! We are cheering you on in all your coding goals.
  • Megan Anthony  User Photo
    Megan Anthony • Software Engineer • Student Verified via GitHub

My background was very tangential to tech before the boot camp. I managed a coworking space and planned events. I knew I had a steep road ahead by joining this program. Thankfully, the teachers, teaching assistants( , and Bernard) were incredibly helpful and attentive. At certain points, they would even explain line by line what my code was doing/saying so that I could understand how to fix the issues myself. They were patient with me and as excited as I was when I had a breakthrough. They took the fear away from learning to code and helped to understand it as if JavaScript were as easy as English.

Needless to say, the teaching team, career services, and the operations team are all invested in helping you succeed in your new career. I had members from the teaching team reach out and congratulate me on my first job offer, and honestly, I think they may have been more excited than I was(which is almost impossible).

If you were to ask me if the program was hard, yes, absolutely, but is it worth it? Again, the answer is an overwhelming yes! I still can't believe I have the job I have, and the beautiful friendships I've made since joining and completing this program.

I cannot stress enough how much happier I am since joining this boot camp. I urge you if you're considering a boot camp to really look at Penn LPS. It is a great way to invest in yourself, but also, it is wonderful knowing that someone else is also invested in you, and rooting for you to succeed.

Wednesday, Feb 06 2019
    Amazing, Megan! Thank you for choosing our program to make such a significant career change. We're passionate about what we do, so we're thrilled to hear you found our entire team to be supportive and encouraging. Congratulations on successfully completing the course and landing an exciting new role! We wish you continued success in all your future goals.
  • R. Reitz  User Photo
    R. Reitz • Full Stack Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am an experienced developer with 15 years in .NET and SQL working mostly back end.  I joined this bootcamp to expand my skillset and explore broader opportunities, and I was not disappointed by the results.

Starting from vanilla HTML and CSS, and working up through the full MERN stack of JavaScrip frameworks (Mongo, Express, React, Node), I covered more ground, faster, than I ever could have on my own.

With a dedicated team of instructors and TAs, along with the help and encouragement of our Student Success Manager and Career Coach, we went from know-little beginners to career ready full-stack developers with a rich set of hands-on work and the foundations to build on for our future growth.

Tuesday, Jul 24 2018
    Amazing, R. Reitz! We are thrilled you chose our program, especially as an experienced developer, to expand your skill set and explore broader opportunities. We are passionate about enabling student success, so it's great to hear our entire team was of great help and encouragement throughout your journey. Thank you for sharing your review and congratulations on completing the program! We wish you great success in all your future endeavors.
  • Michelle Turner • Student

I decided to go for a program that would allow me to pursue a career change while still working. The course work is intense & definitely requires you to put the time in outside of class. There are many resources (tutors, before & after class office hours, career services, etc that are available & are so invaluable. Definitely recommend this program but you have to be committed to learning this skill & building on what you learn in class.

Monday, Mar 11 2019
    Amazing, Michelle! We're glad to hear you utilized the boot camp's resources and found them to be invaluable. Congratulations on completing the course and thank you for your review! Best of luck in all that you do.
  • Guillermo Barila • Graduate

I have always been interested in software and web development but never thought about it as a potential career. After taking online courses and learning on my own for years, I decided to make this career change a reality and enroll in the Penn Coding Boot Camp. The boot camp focused on teaching the concepts and technologies currently used by tech companies.

My experience was very positive. Although I had some experience and foundation on HTML, CSS and JS it turned out to be a very challenging program. It required a huge investment of time an effort on my part. In the end I learned so much more than I could have ever learned on my own. Looking back at the person that entered the boot camp and the developer I turned into at the end of the program, I am astonished with the transformation.

My instructor and TAs, as well as Career Services were absolutely amazing. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

I definitely recommend this boot camp to any person wanting to make a career change or advance their careers. It is an investment in your future that is well worth the time and money.

Tuesday, Mar 05 2019
    Way to go, Guillermo! We're thrilled you had a positive boot camp experience and were able to successfully learn the fundamentals of full-stack web development. Congratulations on completing the course and thank you for your review! We wish you all the best in your coding endeavors.
  • Timothy Charette • Graduate

I came into this bootcamp with zero coding experience/background. It was clear from the start that it was going to be difficult and involve a lot of hard work on my part. In the beginning I was extremely nervous about being able to complete the bootcamp and obatin my certificate. All of the anxiety and nerves went away in the first few weeks. The  reason is the support from the staff (TA and Instructor) was extremely impressive. They genuinely want every student to succeed and will go out of there way to make sure every student is doing well and understanding the material. Office hours before and after every class as well as a free tutor session very week is available to all students for priceless one on one support, take adavantage of this and understanding the material becomes way easier. Coding can be overwhelming when you first start but taking this bootcamp with Trilogy made it a great experience and very memorable. I know that I have a lot of support after the bootcamp is over because of the friends I made and the network that Trilogy offers is extensive. I highly recommend this bootcamp, I had a great experience.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    We're thrilled you were impressed with our instructional support, Timothy! Our entire team is passionate about helping learners succeed, so we're glad this resonated with you. We appreciate your feedback for prospective participants — taking advantage of the free weekly tutoring truly helps simplify the course material. Congratulations on completing the program and thank you for your review! We're cheering you on in all that you do.
  • Sharday Shaw • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate

So I found out about this bootcamp in June of 2018. Then, in July of 2018 I gave Penn my lifes savings and set out on the experience of a lifetime. The intake process was straight to the point. They gave me a call went over a few basic questions with me and told me about the program. At the end of the call I was sent over a basic exam to gague my understanding of web development. It was simple, timed (30 minutes), about 30 questions and you could browse the internet for the answers. As soon as I finished I got a call back to review my results. During that phone call I was told that I would receive another phone call in the coming days to complete a phone interview. This call took about 15 minutes. Again, the questions were pretty basic and not code related. The next day I was told that I was a good fit and they'd love to have me. For anyone who may be wondering, you do not need to provide any proof of prior education to attend this program. Day 1 was nerve racking. I didn't know what to expect and being 30 years old with a family and a full time job, I was hoping I had made the right decision. The class had about 30 students all from completely different backgrounds The first person I met was Bernard the student success manager. He was super nice and welcoming. He gave a brief introduction and then introduced the MVP... Anthony B. Anthony was introduced as our instructor and without being over the top, I have to say that he was the single greatest choice Penn made for this program.

From the very first day we were coding. The program is set up in a manner where the instructor will introduce a concept, display an example of how to implement it, answere any questions and then give a few examples for you to complete on your own. Throughout the entire 6 months I struggled, EVERY SINGLE DAY... I STRUGGLED. I struggled with the concepts, I struggled with the material, I struggled with the activities, I struggled with everything. Some days I was able to grasp more material than other days but there was not a single day that I did not experience any confusion. Anthony would constantly encourage us to ask questions, but there were days where I was so confused I didn't know to even formulate a question. Anthony always told us "the magic happens at home" and it was the complete truth. On the very first day Anthony also told us that "learning feels like confusion". I'll be up front in saying that I didn't put in the 20 hours of studying until about 4 weeks in when I realized my homework grades were poor. I committed to 1 hour each morning and 1 hour each night of studying and honestly it was only enough to keep my head above water. throughout the program there are 3 group projects. These are targeted at preparing you to work on an actual development team. You get about 2 weeks to prepare the program and then you present it in a 6-10 minute presentation. Project 3 in presented in a tech fair environment where tons of people from the field come out to see you (also this is your time to network and potentially land  job).

I also forgot to mention that we have TA's (teacher assistants) and ours were great!!! Syed, Noah, and Dan are like the smartest kids ever. They could literally help with any problem you had not matter how large or small. The class schedule is set up where you come 2 nights per week for 3.5 hours and saturday morning for 4 hours. Seems like a lot when hearing it, but it sorta flies when you're there. The saturday class is large it gives you a chance to network with the groups who come to class on teh 2 week nights you do not.

Overall, the program was hard to say the least. As noted previously, I struggled the entire time. I attended the weekly tutoring sessions, I came to office hours every night ( 30 minutes before and after class), I got help from every TA and after all that, I still struggled. I doubted myself for 5 and a half months and then demo day came and I realized that Anthony was 100% spot on and those 5 months of confusion I was actually really learning. We were all able to engage with business professionals and discuss all of our learning on a high level and those are the exact skills you need to finess an employer into hiring you (haha).

Now that I have graduated, I am just beginnig to take advantage of career services. The program does not gaurantee you job placement but they do offer resources throughout the program to prepare you for job searching. I am going to my first tech career fair this upcoming week (4 weeks after graduation) and I am completely confident that I will land something good. I've been researching and comparing our program curriculum to what employers want and I am confident that the LPS bootcamp has prepared me to be a competent applicant in the field.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    Thank you, Sharday! We appreciate you sharing a detailed review of your boot camp experience, especially for prospective learners looking to learn more about the course. It's great to hear that from day one, you found our entire team to be helpful and knowledgeable — we also think Bernard, Anthony, Syed, Noah, and Dan are terrific. Great job on utilizing all the available resources, including the weekly tutoring sessions. Congratulations on finishing the program, we commend all your hard work! Best of luck in your future achievements.
  • Coding Bootcamp
    - 2/23/2019
    Godly George • Graduate

Coding bootcamp has helped me in numerous ways. It was a wonderful journey to learn the different concepts of programing technologies seeing how fast technology is growing. Before I go further I would like to say Hats off to the teaching team, they are excellent and was always ready to help. They were amazing and they took their time to guide me into understanding the concepts and they have good knowledge of the subject. It has helped me to go deeper into learning and understanding the functionalities of different softwares. With this experience I am able to look at certain programs I never understood before to make it a challenge to go even further into understanding concepts.  You learn a lot in 6 months. The way the lessons are organized is also really good. Looking back it helps me realize we learned a lot. Also the projects helped us to get a thorough understanding of all that we learned. Overall excellent and if there's a new course I can do through Penn Bootcamp I would go for it.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    Amazing, Godly! We're happy to hear you benefited from the support of our instructional team, especially as they helped you navigate complex concepts. Congratulations on successfully completing the program, we appreciate you sharing your experience! All the best in your future endeavors.
  • Great Course
    - 2/21/2019
    Anders E. • Student

TL,DR: Penn LPS Coding Boot Camp is a great opportunity to quickly learn a great deal of material and recieve help when needed from qualified instructors and TAs.

I went from knowing next to nothing about web development to being able to create Full Stack applications on my own. It was certainly an intense experience and a number of my cohort dropped out because of the break-neck pace but it is manageable if you ask for help when you need it, remain disciplined with time management, and effectively utilize class time and materials.

I was able to complete this course whilst working a 45 hour a week job. It is difficult but possible and I am so grateful for the experience as a whole.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    Thank you, Anders! We're happy to hear you're successfully learning the fundamentals of web development and value your feedback for prospective participants. We commend all your hard work thus far, especially as you balance a full-time schedule outside of class. We're cheering you on as you continue towards completing the program!
  • Kevin B
    - 2/20/2019
    Kevin B • Student

Overall great expierence, I really look forward to all the help from career resource center. The class is very fast paced, you want to make sure you can devote the time to really learn and gain the best competitive advantage and knowledge.

Monday, Feb 25 2019
    Amazing, Kevin! We're thrilled you had a positive boot camp experience and appreciate your advice for prospective learners. We're also looking forward to providing you with continued career services assistance in the upcoming weeks. Thank you for your review and best of luck as you move forward!
  • Great Thus Far
    - 2/20/2019
    Fadil Abdella • Software Developer • Student

At the time of this review I am about 9 weeks away from graduation. As the title mentions, my experience has been great up to this point.

Some of the hightlights so far are great academic support, setting and location, administrating staff, and classmates. Our instructors and TA's really seem to have a vested interest in our success, they often make themselves available after hours. The Pennovation building is spacious, conveniently located in the city, with lots of parking. Something I find personally motivating is our classes are held in the innovation building, thus many of the fellow occupants are innovators and startups. Last but not least the on-site admins have been super pleasant and helpful. They have held several webinars and have provided us with great resourse to better position ourselves in the industry.

I can't speak on the Job Assistance department just yet, but I look forward to doing so soon.

I would absolutely recommend this bootcamp to anyone looking to jumpstart there career in the software industry.

Thursday, Feb 21 2019
    Thank you, Fadil! We're happy to hear you're enjoying our in-person classroom experience and benefiting from the support of our entire boot camp team. We appreciate you recommending our course and are rooting you on as you approach the program completion! All the best in your future endeavors.