launch-academy-logo

Launch Academy

Boston, Online, Philadelphia, Washington

Launch Academy

Launch Academy is a full-time, 18-week program with a part-time, 8-week online phase and then a full-time, 10-week course in Boston, Massachusetts. After this immersive learning experience, aspiring software developers will be transformed into contributing members of the development community. The core curriculum is built on JavaScript, React, Ruby on Rails, HTML, and CSS. Students learn from building real products under the guidance of experienced software engineers. "Breakable toys" are at the core of the learning experience at Launch Academy. Students conceptualize products they always wanted to use and over the course of the program learn the technical skills they need to build and improve upon their "breakable toy". Launchers complete the program with a workable product they can present to companies at career day where they meet with hiring managers from tech companies all over the country.

Graduates receive lifetime access to post-grad support including regularly updated curriculum and career services. Launch Academy is looking for highly motivated and naturally curious students driven to create things that help other people.

Recent Launch Academy Reviews: Rating 4.6

all (47) reviews for Launch Academy →

Recent Launch Academy News

Read all (20) articles about Launch Academy →
  • Immersive Full Stack Web Development Program

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, Rails, CSS, React.js, Data Structures, Node.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    LocationBoston
    Launch Academy’s Web Development course equips aspiring software developers with the skills they need to succeed as professionals in today’s technology companies. While you’ll learn in-demand technologies through this course, the core objective of the program is to teach you the fundamentals and best practices of programming. That way, students are well positioned to adapt and grow with the fast-paced industry of web development. It’s all about matching up what you’ll learn with what today’s technology industry demands. So, our curriculum is constantly evolving and improving, based on the feedback of employers, current students, and our alumni. We update up to 20% of our curriculum prior to each cohort based on what hiring managers are seeking for skills in developers they plan to hire in the next 90-day hiring cycle. At Launch Academy, we believe that deliberate practice is the most effective way to learn software development. That means the course is entirely structured around a a learn by doing approach. That means you will graduate the program with a portfolio of projects, experiences, and code examples which will help to set you apart in your job search. We prioritize quality over quantity. This boutique and focused approach allows us to align our curriculum with the specific needs of Boston's software development companies technology stack. Our team of five software development instructors are full time - this is not a side gig while they work at other companies. The development team is often cited by alumni as one of the most caring and dedicated group of teachers they've ever encountered. The program is unique in that it is comprised of three contiguous phases spanning over 22-weeks followed by lifetime alumni support. The fist phase is 8 part time virtual weeks followed by a 10 week full time on-campus phase that is quite rigorous. We conclude with 4 weeks of post graduate support and lifetime access for alumni to our full time software instructors, career services team, free advanced courses and curriculum updates. Its probably the most rigorous program around and its not easy. But for those students that are committed, the results are life changing.
    Deposit$1,000
    Financing available through SkillsFund

Tuition PlansFinance your tuition over 3-5 years with principle payments only after graduation through Skillsfund. Learn more here: https://launchacademy.skills.fund/
    Scholarship$500 discount for veterans, females or persons of an ethnic minority group underrepresented in the software engineering field
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
    Prep WorkPart-time, virtual 8-week Ignition phase requires 15-30hrs per week.

• Shani • Software Developer • Graduate

I had a fantastic experience at Launch Academy in Boston. The instructors were really knowledgeable and the curriculum was both organized and presented well. Launch works hard to keep their curriculum current, so we learned some really "hot off the presses" technology that will be incredibly useful at our future jobs. Launch encouraged pair programming, collaboration, and test-driven development, all skills that are extremely desirable. In the last two weeks of the program, each Launcher independently created a full website as a capstone project. We then presented these projects to a group of local companies who are interested in hiring a junior developer. I received two job offers within a week of graduation, and feel fully equipped to jump into my new career.

• Casey Whittaker  User Photo
    Casey Whittaker • Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I went in to Launch Academy a little hesitant. I didn't think a short 18 weeks would give me enough time to learn what I needed to land a web developer role. Turns out I was pretty wrong.

The first few months of ignition totally helped me get over those fears. I learned at a very rapid pace, and I quickly understood that Launch Academy's style of teaching is very similar to how an actual developer job would be. I learned the basics of ruby, javascript, HTML, CSS, and principles of object oriented programming in the first 8 weeks. Those initial weeks really fostered a strong foundation for what I would need to know for the much more intense on campus portion. It is worth noting that ignition is tough, but some people were able to hold down part time jobs as they completed that experience. Ignition is also a great experience for total beginners, and it will provide a super strong foundation for what you'll need to know for the on campus experience.

The on campus experience is much, much tougher than ignition and quite different. I would say the on campus portion was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. If you are considering Launch Academy, just know that the amount of work is no joke - you may even wish to consider somewhere else if you aren't going to dedicate at least 60-70 hours of work per week for 10 weeks straight. With that said, the instructors were almost always available to assist in our learning experience even when they technically weren't on the clock. And my cohort was a fantastic group of people, so I really, really enjoyed going in to the space every single day. I didn't miss a single day.

When on campus, you'll learn a lot more practical skills, like moreso the relationships between the things you learned in ignition and various frameworks that people use to make working with those languages more streamlined. You'll also learn how databases work, specifically how information is stored in and access from them, and how they communicate with a Rails backend and React front end. You'll of course learn React.js, Ruby on Rails, and how you can build a full stack application by the final two weeks of your cohort.

If all of this sounds promising and realistic to you, I say go for it! Attending Launch Academy has been one of the greatest descisions I've ever made and would do it 1000 times over.

Just a few weeks after graduation, I am happy to have landed a role at a small company in Boston with good pay, good benefits, and a similar code stack to what I learned at Launch. I couldn't have done it without the amazing team at Launch Academy and my fellow launchers!

Special shoutouts to Dan, Nick, Pat, Cassie, Brianna, AmyLynn, Alex, and Corinne for making it all possible!!

• Tyler Hui Mingalone  User Photo
    Tyler Hui Mingalone • Technical Project Coordinator • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended Launch Academy in the fall of 2019 and have nothing but good things to say. My cohort learned Ruby on Rails and React.js over a period of 18 weeks, with the first 8 being part time off campus and the final 10 being full time on campus. The mentors/teachers at Launch were all very dedicated to my success and were extremely capable at communicating complex ideas in an understandable manner.

Additionally, Launch Academy has two full time staff members who run their Career Services department and who work very hard to make sure you get a job post graduation. They work with you on interview prep, resume writing, cover letter writing, and even help facilitate some initial meetings with companies that are currently hiring junior developers.

• Susan Ma  User Photo
    Susan Ma • Software Engineer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Pros:
    - Full support from staff throughout admissions, during the program itself, and post-graduation
    - Informative staff with relevant industry experience and passion with many professional connections
    - Small class size (~23 students)
    - Budget friendly compared to a computer science degree
    - Great location in the heart of Boston
    - Positive atmosphere and safe space for all learning types
    - Lots of support from alumni, including alumni network events hosted on-campus
    - Emphasis on best practices in the industry, including technical and "soft" skills
    - Access to hiring partners and other professional help through Career Services
    - Constantly updating the curriculum to reflect needed skills in the field

I looked at other boot camps and felt that Launch Academy had the most human-friendly approach. They have created a boot camp that teaches the technical and problem-solving skills needed in a high-demand industry, yet have pinpointed the importance of collaboration, teamwork, and taking care of yourself with concerns of mental and physical health. As someone who came from a non-technical background, it felt daunting to come into a completely new world with completely new people. The staff at Launch Academy welcomed all of us with open arms and embraced us as individuals, while tailoring guidance to ensure that we are successful. Some of us needed more time than others, more support than others, and the staff took no hesitation to ensure that we understood the material.

Cons:
    - Intensive material in a short period of time

This is very important for anyone who's coming into a program like this: Boot camps like Launch Academy are designed to be short so there's A LOT of information being taught. This may be particularly difficult for students who are new to programming in general, unfamiliar with time management and/or their own work style, and those who are not serious about finding a job in the industry post-graduation. This is not a program meant for the casual learner, but for someone who's looking more for a career change. Due to the rigorous nature and short time, it's also important to note that asking for help is CRITICAL. (This part in general isn't a con about the program - More like a recommendation for those who are on the fence about programming boot camps.)

• Sean  User Photo
    Sean • Junior Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Hello!

I write this for you, the prospective tech bootcamp shopper, from my cushy reclining chair behind the desk of my sparkly new junior developer job. I can genuinely say that if I didn't sign up for Launch Academy, then I would not be sitting here writing this review, off-task from the awesome tech work that I was trained to do so very well at Launch Academy.

Before I touch on 3 reasons why Launch Academy is as awesome as it is, I'll say that for a while I tried to get into tech, and it was difficult to do on my own! All in all, I needed structure and support that my 2-D MacBook Pro screen wasn't giving me.

In doing some reading, I read from some (only those that haven't done a bootcamp, mind you) that bootcamps aren't worth it because they are too expensive and you can do all the learning with online resources. Yes, it costs and yes you can theoretically learn everythiing you'd need online, but if you want a junior developer role in the next 6-8 months, doing a bootcamp will push you in ways that you could NEVERRRRR do on your own. It gives you ALL the material you need to go from beginner to junior developer and the inspiration, motivation, technical/social/emotional and all the above support you can't get from staring at a computer screen by yourself or even at a meetup a few times a week. That, I would say, is the most important part of choosing a bootcamp - the quality, passion and drive of the people around you. That's why Launch stands out to me.

Here are the 3 reasons why I HIGHLY recommend Launch if you want to be a junior developer in the next 6-8 months:

The Experience Engineers (or teachers or TAs, etc)

These individuals make the experience what it is and one you can't get anywhere else. These individuals live and breath the tech that they are teaching you. They are animated, hilarious, and supportive presenters and teachers that encourage any and all questions any time you have one. They will collaborate with you on ideas, help you with bug fixes, give you the WHYs behind your questions, and importantly help you develop your questions and your ability to become more and more self-reliant so that you can begin to answer them on your own. Go ahead and see: call them up, chat, or go to Launch and see for yourself!

The Other Bootcampers

Prior to Launch Academy I was searching for a job in tech because, with a bit of experience under my belt, I was seeing if I could get a job on my own. I remember having a conversation with a recruiter about bootcamps and he said that he saw many applicants coming from Launch, moreso than other bootcamps, that were younger and had more relevant backgrounds than he saw at other bootcamps. This was a positive indicator - this told me that I could learn more and I'd be around higher caliber students coming into Launch.

Demographics aside, the individuals at Launch all were motivated to do really well and aspire to grow every day. I was inspired to learn from and teach what I learned to others. Launch does a fantastic job at cultivating a culture of growth and support amongst its students and very quickly you form lasting bonds that go beyond the length of the program.

The Curriculum and Structure of the Day

The curriculum at Launch has been through many iterations over 5 years. It's a living thing that is constantly being updated and made better as newer technologies become more relevant in the job market. I can tell you that in the 1.5 months since I've graduated, signifcant parts to the curriculum have been amended or added (Redux, Jest, ... these may not mean much to you now but a quick search on Google will prove that they're important to know as a full stack developer). This is great for students: relevant skills = relevant job applicants!!!

It's also a really well done curriculum! Prior to the intensive, in-person period of the bootcamp, everyone goes througn 8 weeks of remote work that preps you with fundamentals so that you can come in (like a b****s) and learn higher level, frameworks and concepts. Everyone comes into the intensive at a similar level and with the ability to digest more advanced concepts.

Another great thing about the curriculum and the structure of the day-to-day at Launch is that if you're falling behind, you have the time and space to ask questions to your fellow students or to teachers to get help. Alternatively, if you're feeling confident, you can move ahead - there's always more work in the curriculum than you can actually finish so there's always room to do more and continuing challenging yourself if you're a rockstar!!

There are many, many great things that I haven't mentioned about Launch Academy:

• Working on your Breakable Toy (or capstone project) that you get to think up and design yourself, with support as needed from teachers and other students, and then go sprint for two weeks bringing it to life

• Getting tons of practice learning to pitch yourself to employers, which helps wildly with engaging others at networking events post graduation

• Extremely entertaining lectures filled with engaging content and sprinkled with humorous and relevant (I promise) memes

• Hanging out/celebrating on Fridays with your fellow cohort-mates and simultaneously dreading and anticipating the learning and material to come the following week

• The post-grad support and currriculum that helps keet you on track towards getting a job.This includes continued access to the curriclulum for life.

One last thing that was a real positive for me about Launch, and that should be a positive sign for you, is that they keep alumni engaged with the community. Many events and panels are held through your time as a student there that invite alumni that have JUST graduated or recently gotten hired. It's really encouraging and supportive to be able to ask individuals that were previously (like weeks to months prior) in your shoes, facing the same challenges as you. And it's a sign that people have been so moved by their experience at Launch that they want to continue coming back and continue giving to the community.

All in all, DO IT!!! If you want a job in tech, this is the fastest, most enjoyable way I know.

YOU GOT THIS!!!

- 3/25/2019
    Nick  User Photo
    Nick • Junior Operations Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn
    Launch Academy changed my life. It is what you look for in a boot camp. The instructors are super helpful, career services is great and helps you out even after you graduate, and the launch alumni is always trying to help one another. Before going to Launch I didn't have a clear path for myself. I had a full time job but I wanted a career that was more rewarding and something that I could feel proud to be a part of. If you are setting your sights on becoming a software developer, I would highly recommend this course. Keep in mind this is no walk in the park. You must be 100% committed to the task at hand to truly succeed. If you are driven and passionate and ready to take the leap to jumpstart your career in the world of software development then Launch is for you.
  • Great Roadmap
    - 1/17/2019
    Junaid  User Photo
    Junaid • Consultant • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Launch Academy was an excellent experience, and I highly recommend it for folks looking to enter the Web Development profession. Be aware that this is not something that you can do by halves. It requires your full attention and participation every day to really drill in the technical aspects of Web Development. While the laungages and frameworks learned are modern and well taught, I see it as more of a roadmap to future endeavours and it has given me the resources and direction to better improve on existing skills and develop new ones without extensive assistance. There is a stellar alumni network, and good help from the career services team to help you prepare for the job search.

• Launch is awesome!
    - 10/31/2018
    Alex Smith  User Photo
    Alex Smith • Developer I • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

All the instructors at Launch Academy were fantastic! They were always incredibly helpful and never got frustrated no matter how much help we needed. The curriculum is well written and very modern. The career services department works very hard to make sure you get job placement after you graduate. I believe that the Ignition program they implement before coming on campus greatly sets them apart from other camps and will assist all newcomers in being able to digest such a large amount of information. A wonderful experience that I would recommend to anyone looking at a bootcamp!

• David Garber  User Photo
    David Garber • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I'm a graduate of Launch Academy's [LA] 5th and final Philadelphia cohort. During my time, LA was able to deliver a comprehensive plan to develop my foundational development knowledge. At first, you will be taken for a whirlwind of courses designed to instill a deeper responsibility of writing code; writing for other developers to understand your intentions. We are encouraged to practice DRY, test-driven programming in two languages. There is a context switch mid-course that will break any syntax habits you may have which drives the point of understanding the reason behind the code and refrain from 'commanding' the CPU. *It is very important to have an obsession with technology, compulsive curiosity, and a growth mindset. you will not make it in the SWE world if you do not possess these 3 traits.*

This is a revised review, as initially, I had been less than happy with the job prospects given to me. By communicating my frustration with the LA team, I had begun to understand that there may have been internal issues, given the fact that LA Philly was an expansion. There may or may not have been internal strife, but the compassionate leaders Dan and Corinne have done their best to resolve any concerns that I had. I understand owning a business is not easy, but in my prior review, I had let my anger get the best of me. Working more closely with the LA team, I've been able to get further in my job search, and have been given two separate opportunities to begin my career as a direct result from LA.

In conclusion, you must understand that, as a junior developer, your entire career will be an unquenchable thirst for more knowledge of underlying technologies. Nobody will hold you accountable except for yourself. You have to strive to be the best version of yourself. LA promised me a career change, and while a little bumpy, they never broke their promise. I'm not going to discredit the invaluable knowledge that a CS degree provides, but for 15,000, I had doubled my earning potential in less than a year. That's one hell of a RoI.

• Amazing Experience
    - 3/21/2018
    Anonymous  User Photo
    Anonymous • Jr Software Engineer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I decided to make a career change after 8 years and on the recommendation of a former graduate I attended Launch Academy.

I highly recommend Launch Academy to anyone looking to learn web development. The staff is enthusiastic, engaging, and incredibly knowledgeable.

While I'm sure every cohort is different the sense of community that grew over our 12 weeks together on campus was amazing.

In addition to the well crafted coding curriculum the career services team does a wonderful job ensuring that you are set up for success on the job hunt. The post-grad support for job seekers is also top notch.

Attending Launch Academy was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

• Warren  User Photo
    Warren • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I just recently graduated from Launch Academy, so I've had experience with both the curriculum as well as the post graduation support. I can only say good things about both! They crammed as much as could fit in our heads, and have been working hard to find us positions since graduating. The one complaint I have is that the coursework could be a little rough around the edges at times, due to the fact that they're constantly changing it to keep up with trends and new tech. Generally it was minor things like examples not working, or tutorials not being quite accurate. The mentors were always there to address any issues though. I think my favorite part of Launch is that I'm now a part of a really dedicated and friendly community of web developers!

All in all, I had a great experience!

• Francis  User Photo
    Francis • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Attending Launch Academy was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I had recently relocated and unable to get any momentum in a new city with no professional network. Coding was always in my peripheral, but I had never actually taken the plunge until I started to look into bootcamps. Launch Academy really focused on Web Development moreso than others, so I dove in.

You'll initially spend 8 weeks online learning fundamentals, slowly ramping up to the 10-week online program where you'll be taking on a different topic each week. The pace picks up really quickly from there, and it's not only challenging, but you'll be surrounded by people who fast become very close friends.  By the time you're done, you'll know enough to build your own small apps and what you do from there is up to you. I personally kept the moment going and started to teach myself other languages I never could "figure out" before without the experience Launch provided.

Launch's curriculum changes very dynamically. Technology changes faster than fashion, and Launch keeps up. After graduating, they've got a pretty intensive job assistance program to keep you busy and active on the job hunt. It's a great experience.

• Robert Petrowsky  User Photo
    Robert Petrowsky • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Hello,

I graduated two years ago from Launch Academy. First of all I loved my experience there. I learned fast and was easily one of the top performing students of my class. I was also 19 and spent all of my inheritance on the program and paying for rent/food during the program. When it was finished I accepted the first job I was offered rather quickly(2 months) as I was then living off of a credit card. The job was a contract for an extremely small start up(4 people). They told me that the company had experience with jr. developers before(which was not true). The lead developer was a 19 year old German college student. Needless to say it was not a growth experience. After the contract ended I was really in need of another job but didn’t receive help from my boot camp. My computer started experiencing problems and I could no longer run Rails. I found a full time volunteering opportunity with AmeriCorps teaching basic CS to students in low income areas and have been doing that for the last two years. I recently enrolled in a QA program for urban youth of low income and am now on an internship and will hopefully find a job quickly after. As I said I loved the experience during classes, but based on my experience I would say it should have costed $500-$1,000 not +$15,000 forcing me to live paycheck to paycheck and have no financial stability.

Launch Academy Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 30 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Launch Academy CIRR Report here.