grand-circus-logo

Grand Circus

Detroit, Grand Rapids

Grand Circus

Grand Circus is a learning institute offering 12-week full-time and 26-week part-time software developer bootcamps with campuses in Grand Rapids and Detroit, Michigan. Students can choose between coding bootcamps covering Java, C#/.NET, or Front End. In addition to the coding bootcamps, Grand Circus connects the region’s employers with tech talent, and offers advanced workshops, and reskilling and upskilling solutions for companies of all sizes. Workshops include introductions to coding, front end, back end, and web development fundamentals. Grand Circus instructors are experienced professionals, and focus on training students with relevant, project-based instruction that delivers real-world experience.

The mission of Grand Circus is to make a tech career universally accessible. Since launching in 2013, Grand Circus has maintained partnerships with big tech and local government entities to ensure that students are receiving the latest, most advanced training. Grand Circus helps students develop interview skills and soft skills, and organizes networking events to introduce students to employers. To date, more than 1,600 bootcamp graduates now work at over 350 companies across the Detroit-area. Grand Circus is one of ten Google for Startup North America tech hubs, and partners with Facebook, Detroit at Work, TekSystems, the Grand Rapids SmartZone, and Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation to provide a mix of funding and programming.

Although no coding experience is required to attend Grand Circus coding bootcamps, students must be intelligent, tenacious, resourceful, hardworking, self-motivated, and committed. Students should know how to work with programs like Google Drive and Microsoft Office. To apply, candidates complete an online application form, followed by an interview with Grand Circus. Once admitted, students will need to complete a 2-week, online pre-course before the start of the bootcamp. Students will receive a certificate of completion upon graduation.

Recent Grand Circus Reviews: Rating 4.51

all (45) reviews for Grand Circus →

Recent Grand Circus News

Read all (16) articles about Grand Circus →
  • C# .NET Core After-Hours Bootcamp

HTML, Git, C#, .NET, Data Visualization, CSS, Data Structures
    Start Date July 6, 2020
    LocationGrand Rapids, Detroit
    The after-hours C# .NET bootcamp at Grand Circus is designed to transform you from coding novice to programming powerhouse in twenty-six weeks of intensive technical and career readiness training. .NET Core is a programming framework used in enterprise development around the world that’s heavily integrated with the C# language. This programming language is highly in demand throughout Michigan and beyond. This After-Hours Bootcamp is a 26-week program, this includes two weeks of mandatory at-home work we call Unit One. Classes are hosted three evenings a week - Monday, Wednesday and Thursday - from 6:30-10pm.
    Financing available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit and Vemo
    Scholarship$1,750 scholarship for veterans, women, and anyone who is a part of an ethnic minority group underrepresented in tech. 50% COVID-19 Relief Scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelWe ask that our students exhibit a growth mindset, accountability, and autonomy. We offer workshops to help students prepare technically.
    Prep WorkUnit 1 must be completed at home and passed successfully prior to the bootcamp start date.
    July 6, 2020 - Detroit Apply by May 29, 2020
    July 6, 2020 - Grand Rapids Apply by May 29, 2020
  • C# .NET Core Bootcamp

HTML, Git, C#, Data Visualization, CSS, Data Structures, SQL
    LocationGrand Rapids, Detroit
    The Full-Time C# .NET bootcamp at Grand Circus is designed to transform you from coding novice to programming powerhouse in twelve of intensive technical and career readiness training. .NET Core is a programming framework used in enterprise development around the world that’s heavily integrated with the C# language. This programming language is highly in demand throughout Michigan and beyond.
  • Front-End After-Hours Bootcamp

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Front End, Agile
    In PersonPart Time-29 Hours/week26 Weeks
    Start Date October 12, 2020
    LocationGrand Rapids, Detroit
    The full-time Front-End bootcamp at Grand Circus is designed to transform you from coding novice to programming powerhouse in twelve weeks of intensive technical and career readiness training. You’ll leave bootcamp with a solid foundation of coding front-end experiences using Hypertext Markup Language (HTML), Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), JavaScript and Angular. Because the web is powered by a combination of visual front ends with data-crunching back ends, Grand Circus integrates back-end coursework like servers and JSON APIs, and SQL so you leave with an understanding of how front-end experiences relate to back-end systems. All along the way and after bootcamp, get essential training and support you need for a successful job search.
    October 12, 2020 - Grand Rapids Apply by September 4, 2020
  • Front-End Bootcamp

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, Front End, Agile
    Deposit$800.00
    Financing available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit and Vemo
    ScholarshipAutomatic $1,750 scholarship for veterans, women, and anyone who is a part of an ethnic minority group underrepresented in tech.
    Prep WorkUnit 1 must be completed at home and passed successfully prior to bootcamp start date.
    July 20, 2020 - Grand Rapids Apply by June 12, 2020
  • Java Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, Java, Agile
    LocationDetroit
    The full-time Java bootcamp at Grand Circus is designed to transform you from coding novice to programming powerhouse in twelve weeks of intensive technical and career readiness training. Currently running on over three billion devices, the Java programming language is one of the most in-demand on a national level. Java can be used across platforms, scale without compromising security and handle extreme traffic.

• $500 Grand Circus Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Grand Circus scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Front-End Bootcamp (Grand Rapids)
    • Front-End After-Hours Bootcamp (Grand Rapids)
    • C# .NET Core Bootcamp (Grand Rapids)
    • C# .NET Core After-Hours Bootcamp (Grand Rapids)
    • Java Bootcamp (Detroit)
    • Front-End Bootcamp (Detroit)
    • Front-End After-Hours Bootcamp (Detroit)
    • C# .NET Core Bootcamp (Detroit)
    • C# .NET Core After-Hours Bootcamp (Detroit)

• Jenna   User Photo
    Jenna • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I attended the October 2017 Java Bootcamp. I have a computer science degree, but I had been working IT and wanted to switch to software dev.

My teachers were great: friendly, patient and knowledgeable. GC creates a culture where you feel like you can suceed, which honestly in tech, is 75% of it. If you show up and do everything they are asking, give 105%, you will get a job. If you don't have a math or computer science or technical background, you will study outside of school, or stay late. They have plenty of resources to help you. You absolutely can do it, you have a work a little.

I am also amazed at the community I have become apart of beyond Grand Circus through meetups and networking. This was a wonderful experience and I am glad I did it. I have a job and I start on Monday!

• GRAND Circus
    - 4/3/2020
    Tristan Cotter  User Photo
    Tristan Cotter • Developer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    An extremely useful and helpful bootcamp. Instructors and Career people knew what their stuff, and were always willing to help, be it with a bit of code or an interview. Career people have an interest in seeing you land that position and stay in touch after everything has come to a close, offering tips, interview help and pointing you in the direction of open positions.
  • Chris  User Photo
    Chris • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I graduated from Grand Circus in September 2019. I did the full time Java Bootcamp. I was working close by and saw they had an intro to coding class so I took it. Afterwards I thought this could be something I could see myself me doing. I took a weekend Java workshop at Grand Circus just to be sure, and after thought I am definitely all in. I knew that I needed to make a change in my life I was bouncing around job to job and not really using my degree. I was intimidated at first, but Grand Circus helped me understand the material. The instructor was the best. I am working as currently a Quality Engineer in Ann Arbor. I would go into this knowing that you will have to work hard (not just as coding but with teamwork and communication), and know that you will always have to keep learning even after. I am happy with my experience.
  • Cam Couch  User Photo
    Cam Couch • Implementation Engineer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I am 30, I hold a bachelors in business, and have +10 years of management experience.

I coded as a hobby, and believed that I could make a living doing it.

Grand Circus was an amazing experience. It felt like a great work/learning environment, mixed in with a group of learners from different backgrounds that you quickly become close with.

If you are making the financial investment, ensure that you are ready to do what needs to be done to succeed. Slacking shouldn’t be in your vocabulary. You can’t have a victim mentality.

My instructor and TA were very down to earth and helpful. The rest of the staff provide a comfortable atmosphere and a home away from home.

In my experience, no entry level positions were looking for AngularJS experience, so I do hope that the curriculum adjusts to React/Vue/Angular 7 quickly. I know my instructor was making the case for adding A7 to the main curriculum.

I was able to find meaningful employment within 3 weeks of graduating from the Front End bootcamp.

I do recommend looking at what jobs are most plentiful, mixed in with what you actually want to do for work. You don’t want to go on a learning path that won’t be fruitful.

Words of wisdom. Be engaged, be early, swallow your pride, prep your loved ones, do meaningful job research, practice self efficacy, CODE CODE CODE.

• Kristy  User Photo
    Kristy • Software Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Going to Grand Circus was one of the best choices I have made in my adult life. I went from staying at home with my kids to working as a software developer. I attended the after hours .Net/C# program.

The classes were excellent and prepared me for my first job. Our instructor worked as a senior architect during the day, so he knew what was going on in industry and expected a lot of us. There is a lot of work required outside classroom hours and a lot of independent research needed. GC will help you, but students had to really put the effort in to succeed.

The biggest positive about GC is the career network. There are a ton of alumni who want to help and career services actively goes out and talks to employers about the program and students. I actually got my first position through a connection I made there.

I'd highly recommend going to check out the school or talking to alumni, it was a great move for me.

• Software Developer
    - 3/11/2019
    Gabrielle Blackman  User Photo
    Gabrielle Blackman • Cloud System Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I had an awesome experience with Grand Circus Detroit. I attended and graduated from the Java Bootcamp in September 2017. My teacher was Peter Guenther and my TA Alexandra Born were awesome in helping with understanding core Java principles and with working with me on projects. I came to Grand Circus with minimal front-end experience and they pushed me to have an open mindset to challenge myself to become a back-end developer.  Grand Circus gives you all the soft skills you need to achieve any job in Software Development. Cody Grant was awesome with his job skill trainings and giving different approaches with interviews. My program manager Charlene Donelson was one of the most awesome, dynamic people I worked with and she encourages you that no matter what, YOU CAN achieve anything you want with dedication.  Last but not least Kim Driscoll our Director of Learning was full of life and great energy to help you through those long days of learning and coding!!! In Conclusion, I LOVE GRAND CIRCUS!!! GC MADE ME WHO I AM TODAY!!

• Andrew  User Photo
    Andrew • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I had a fantastic experience with Grand Circus. I completed the Java full-time bootcamp in 2018. If you’re looking to make a career change, GC can make it happen. I had little coding experience going in (had been through a few online tutorials), but the curriculum at GC is designed to give you everything you need, not just to learn how to code, but how to handle the emotional ups and downs, and how to eventually find a job. For me personally, it was a lot of hard work, but absolutely worth it.

Some details: The instructors are great! They are friendly, supportive, work really hard, and are great at what they do. The staff is welcoming and fun. GC felt like more than just a class, it’s a community you can become a part of. It’s also great to belong to a cohort of students, a chance to meet lots of good people and form friendships, and be able to learn from each other.

In addition to programming skills, GC offers additional guidance, including how to find the right jobs, how to apply, and how to interview. GC has a great asset in Cody Grant, who was really helpful with all of these essential extra-curriculars. They bring in employers for you to meet and host events where you can meet alumni. GC is a community with a lot of knowledge and a lot of enthusiasm, and you just have to remember to take advantage of it. This is the kind of thing where you get out what you put in. There are a good deal of resources made available to you, but you have to be active, take ownership of your education and your career transition.

The experience can be intense, intellectually and emotionally. For me, it was long hours, and I was fortunate to have a spouse who supported me. You learn a lot in a short amount of time. You really need to have a growth mindset, be able to endure those moments of self-doubt and feeling totally lost, and be able to keep going. And then you’ll surprise yourself, you will push through, and you’ll feel amazing.

The time-to-employment part varies, and depends on luck and timing and finding the right fit, but that’s the case with any endeavor. I was able to get a job about 6 weeks after camp ended, and not just any job, but a job that I love. To me, that’s remarkable, and I feel grateful to everyone at GC for making it happen.

• Zaineb  User Photo
    Zaineb • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I loved every aspect of my Bootcamp experience, and would recommend Grand Circus to anyone who has interest in software development. Everyone on the Grand Circus staff team is amazing at their job. They are incredibly passionate, knowledgeable, and supportive. They are always looking out for their students best interest,  and they treat you like family.

The instructors and teaching assistants are extremely knowledgeable and willing to help all students to reach their goals.

In addition to the technical training, we had soft skills training helped us to create a better resume, LinkedIn and improve our interview skills.

I liked the weekly surveies they gave us, and how they take actions on the feedback they recieve. They always enhance the program for the best results for the students.

The Bootcamp was a wonderful experience, and I am so glad I did it. I'll start my new job on Monday!

• James Jackson  User Photo
    James Jackson • Jr Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Hey, my name is James Jackson, I graduated the q1 full-time asp.net boot camp and I just wanted to share my experience.  first of all, I came into this boot camp with plenty of programming knowledge, I taught myself front-end technologies for the past 6 months before joining this boot camp.  that being said I still felt like on the education front, my teacher did a good job keeping me challenged.  we would start the day 9 am, do some class code review then learn a new topic then we were pretty much left to code and talk about our code the next day.

Personally, the most challenging part of the boot camp for was the soft skills, so on one side we had technical, where we would learn to code and improve our skills, and on the other, soft skills.  So soft skills are just the idea of being able to communicate effectively with your teammates/co-workers and well anyone really. We also learned how to market ourselves as professional developers and mingle at meet up events.  This was difficult because coming into this boot camp I was pretty new to this whole shmoozing world.  Overall this part was challenging, but they gave me the skills I needed to land a job after the boot camp.  I start my first job as a jr intern developer at Quicken Loans April 23rd, 2018 and honestly, I owe to the opportunity offered by Grand Circus.

• Alex  User Photo
    Alex • Mobile Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Grand Circus was an incredible experience where I picked up innumerable technical and life skills. The crew at Grand Circus go over and beyond to make sure that you feel comfortable with the material you're learning and provide every thing you may need to be successful in finding your future job.

In addition to the technical training, we also had Soft Skills seminars where we took the time to learn how to present ourselves as practicing professionals covering topics such as linkedin, interviews, resumes, and writing the perfect email.

The most benefical part about Grand Circus was the amount of resources available to us. While we had incredible teachers, great peers to work with, and access to coding meetups in the building, the people at Grand Circus were more than helpful, post-bootcamp and during, to check-in on our job search and forge any connections with potential employers.

I would most definitely reccommend Grand Circus to anyone considering a change.

• Hilary  User Photo
    Hilary • Junior Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

Grand Circus was one of the biggest leaps I have taken but well worth it! At Grand Circus I found a great environment and support group that wanted to see me succeed. The course work was hard and relevant but pushed you to learn how to code and think like a developer. I am so happy with my new career! I am able to be creative and use my problem solving skills I gained from my Fine-Arts Degree and bridge the gap between developers and designers. Without Grand Circus's curriculum, job assistants and great support I would not be where I am today. THANK YOU GRAND CIRCUS! P.S. Detroit is growing and Grand Circus is a great place to be apart of Detroit's growth.

• Java Bootcamp Grad
    - 1/12/2018
    Trina Chowdhury   User Photo
    Trina Chowdhury • Junior Software Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

If you’re curious about a job in tech, CHOOSE GRAND CIRCUS. I’ve learned so much from my instructors and peers, and have made lifelong friends as well. I went from HATING my job in sales to a junior software developer within months of graduating, and the coolest part about this is the fact that I didn’t know how to write a single line of code prior to GC - and now I work for a very reputable company in Metro Detroit as a developer. Enroll in one of their programs. It’s worth it.

• CHUCK KNEBL  User Photo
    CHUCK KNEBL • Marketing Coordinator • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

"Sometimes it's the journey that teaches you a lot about your destination."  That is a reflection by Drake, the musician, that I found superbly sums up my experiences at a 10-week Grand Circus .Net (C#) bootcamp in Grand Rapids, Michigan, which convened on a full-time basis from March to May 2017.

Let’s begin by briefly highlighting the circumstances that spurred me to attend the bootcamp.   A career shift to backend coding was on the horizon for me after 32 years in the workforce as a writer and journalist, a stint of self-employment as a consulting web developer/marketer, a webmaster for an agricultural engineering association, and as a webmaster as well as communications manager for a nonprofit workforce-development organization.  My progress on this track was derailed in mid-2016 when my communications post was axed in a budget cut; thus, I began a year-long stint of unemployment.

During this period, I discovered a couple of gigantic themes about being jobless:  first, the circumstances drained my self-confidence; and, additionally, the situation compelled me to wrap my head around my complete lack of control over the job elimination I’d endured.   Both of these themes self-confidence and gaining a feeling of control played prominent roles in my Grand Circus experiences, as I’ll discuss shortly.

The bootcamp was rigorous in terms of the amount and complexity of new information presented in lectures, coding exercises (both solo and team-based), voluminous reading and, finally, in the pace of networking events and job-seeking activities.  All told, the experiences were like attempting to drink from a firehose!

I decided early to make a strong effort and invest lots of energy in the bootcamp, and there was a point during week six when concepts and coding exercises crystallized for me.  At this juncture, with new information and coding practices beginning to dovetail and make sense -- my confidence soared and I was heartened to see positive results produced by taking control and making a strong effort.

In addition to lots of reading and lab work, I got to know Visual Studio 2015 as well as how to frame coding questions for Google searches.  I invested plenty of time using Github to post and get code.

The strengths of the Grand Circus bootcamp I attended far outweighed the weaknesses, of which I found only one.  On the strength side of the ledger would be my interactions with Grand Circus staff members, who were knowledgeable and good communicators.  The instructor, Tommy Waalkes, was excellent in large part because he evolved from being tentative at the beginning to delivering solid, well prepared lectures after a couple weeks.  Tommy was well versed in the material and regularly delivered thoughtful, practical instruction.

In addition, he wisely used the Socratic method of asking questions of me when I needed help with a coding problem, thereby nudging me to come up with a workable answer.  Tommy’s method was acutely beneficial in helping me to see how various aspects of C# and .NET linked together, thereby empowering me to make big strides forward to complete the bootcamp.

Another strength I found was the emphasis of Grand Circus on encouraging bootcampers to network extensively, and the laser focus by Grand Circus on job-hunting abilities (from resume writing, to learning vital soft skills, to polishing your LinkedIn profile) was wonderful.

The lone weakness I’d like to report is that the physical space in Grand Rapids was a bit too small for a class of 10 students, two instructors and associated equipment.  The setting was too cramped at times.

My chief goal in attending the bootcamp was to secure employment.  I’m very excited to have started a new job in August 2017 and while it is not in coding or technology (I’m working in business-to-business (B2B) marketing for a parent operating group that runs several caster and wheel manufacturing companies), the bootcamp experiences contributed immensely to my landing this position.  How so?

By successfully completing the rigors of the Grand Circus C# .NET bootcamp, my confidence received such an enormous boost that I performed extremely well in the job interviews.  I was relaxed, made good eye contact, communicated well, provided thoughtful yet concise answers and confidently promoted myself as fully capable of accomplishing all duties of the B2B marketing job.

Thus, I found that my journey through the challenging yet superb Grand Circus bootcamp taught me much about myself – and helped enormously in reaching my current destination!