grand-circus-logo

Grand Circus

Grand Circus

Grand Circus is an online learning institute offering 14-week full-time and 28-week part-time software developer bootcamps based in Detroit, Michigan. Students can choose between coding bootcamps covering Full Stack JavaScript or Full Stack C#/.Net. In addition to the coding bootcamps, Grand Circus connects the region’s employers with tech talent, and offers advanced workshops, and reskilling and upskilling solutions for companies of all sizes. Workshops include introductions to coding, front end, back end, and web development fundamentals. Grand Circus instructors are experienced professionals, and focus on training students with relevant, project-based instruction that delivers real-world experience.

The mission of Grand Circus is to make a tech career universally accessible. Since launching in 2013, Grand Circus has maintained partnerships with big tech and local government entities to ensure that students are receiving the latest, most advanced training. Grand Circus helps students develop interview skills and soft skills, and organizes networking events to introduce students to employers. To date, more than 1,600 bootcamp graduates now work at over 350 companies across the Detroit-area. Grand Circus is one of ten Google for Startup North America tech hubs, and partners with Facebook, Detroit at Work, TekSystems, the Grand Rapids SmartZone, and Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation to provide a mix of funding and programming.

Although no coding experience is required to attend Grand Circus coding bootcamps, students must be intelligent, tenacious, resourceful, hardworking, self-motivated, and committed. Students should know how to work with programs like Google Drive and Microsoft Office. To apply, candidates complete an online application form, followed by an interview with Grand Circus. Once admitted, students will need to complete a 2-week, online pre-course before the start of the bootcamp. Students will receive a certificate of completion upon graduation.

Recent Grand Circus Reviews: Rating 4.36

all (50) reviews for Grand Circus →

Recent Grand Circus News

Read all (20) articles about Grand Circus →
  • Full Stack C# .NET Bootcamp

Ruby, SQL, HTML, Git, Data Visualization, Data Structures, CSS, C#
    Location-
    Launch your tech career–and salary–by standing out among junior developers and other bootcamp grads. The Full Stack C# .NET Bootcamp is a live, online 14-week program. Full stack bootcamps give you the ability to work on back-end and front-end projects. This gives you flexibility and marketability as a developer, while still having a niche. Classes are held virtually 9-5pm, Monday through Friday, and are comprised of group projects, lab time, and time to troubleshoot individually.
     Financing available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit and Vemo
    Scholarship$1,750 scholarship for veterans, women, and anyone who is a part of an ethnic minority group underrepresented in tech. 50% COVID-19 Relief Scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelWe ask that our students exhibit a growth mindset, accountability, and autonomy. We offer workshops to help students prepare technically.
    Prep WorkUnit 1 must be completed at home and passed successfully prior to the bootcamp start date.
  • Full-Stack C# .NET Core After-Hours Bootcamp

AngularJS, .NET, Git, Data Visualization, HTML, Data Structures, CSS, C#
    Location-
    The after-hours C# .NET bootcamp at Grand Circus is designed to transform you from coding novice to programming powerhouse in twenty-six weeks of intensive technical and career readiness training. .NET Core is a programming framework used in enterprise development around the world that’s heavily integrated with the C# language. This programming language is highly in demand throughout Michigan and beyond. This After-Hours Bootcamp is a 26-week program, this includes two weeks of mandatory at-home work we call Unit One. Classes are hosted three evenings a week - Monday, Wednesday and Thursday - from 6:30-10pm.
    Deposit$100.00
    Financing available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit.
  • Full Stack JavaScript After-Hours Bootcamp

jQuery, JavaScript, HTML, Git, Front End, CSS, AngularJS, Agile
    Location-
    Launch your tech career–and salary–by standing out among junior developers and other bootcamp grads. The Full Stack JavaScript Bootcamp is a live, online 14-week program. Start your career in just 3 months! Full stack bootcamps give you the ability to work on back-end and front-end projects. This gives you flexibility and marketability as a developer, while still having a niche. Classes are held virtually 9-5pm, Monday through Friday and are comprised of group projects, lab time, and time to troubleshoot individually.
  • FUll Stack JavaScript Bootcamp

JavaScript, HTML, Git, Front End, CSS, AngularJS, Agile
    Financing available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit and Vemo
    ScholarshipAutomatic $1,750 scholarship for veterans, women, and anyone who is a part of an ethnic minority group underrepresented in tech.
    Prep WorkUnit 1 must be completed at home and passed successfully prior to bootcamp start date.

• $500 Grand Circus Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Grand Circus scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Full-Stack C# .NET Core After-Hours Bootcamp (Detroit)
    • Full Stack C# .NET Bootcamp (Detroit)
    • Full Stack JavaScript After-Hours Bootcamp (Detroit)
    • FUll Stack JavaScript Bootcamp (Detroit)
    • All courses in Detroit
    • Full-Stack C# .NET Core After-Hours Bootcamp (Grand Rapids)
    • Full Stack C# .NET Bootcamp (Grand Rapids)
    • Full Stack JavaScript After-Hours Bootcamp (Grand Rapids)
    • FUll Stack JavaScript Bootcamp (Grand Rapids)
  • Landall Proctor • JavaScript Developer • Graduate

I graduated from the August 2015, Front End - JavaScript bootcamp as I was looking to make a career change. Grand Circus was the spring board I needed to increase my technology skills and created opportunities for me to network with employers looking to hire.

I can't say enough about the support provided by the entire Grand Circus staff during the bootcamp. From resume support, mock interviews (both technical and traditional), networking pitches, tough love and pep talks, they are there to help you succeed.

If you're seriously considering a career change into technology the Grand Circus bootcamps can help you do that. The curriculum is tough, but if you're willing to work extremely hard and don't give up before you've found the answer, you'll be ready for a new job as a developer. It worked for me, I was hired full time by a local Detroit start up 4 weeks after I completed the program.

• Jack

Grand Circus provided me with the best educational experience of all time and changed my life in ways that i did not think were possible.  Since completeting my bootcamp, i have the best job of my life and my career is exceeding my grandest expectation.

Overall:
    My experience at grand circus was second to none.  Starting with my first "fact finding" phone call with the GC admin staff, I knew that I was dealing with passionate and knowledge individuals who cared about me and helping me achieve my goals. This initial feeling was confirmed and reestablished over and over again throughout my experience with GC.  I loved every aspect of my bootcamp experience and would recommend GC to anyone who has any interest in software development.

Administrative:  Deciding to participate in a 10 week bootcamp was a significant decision for me - not least of all because of the financial aspect.  However, as soon as i began discussing the financial piece of the bootcamp i felt immediately at ease.  the GC staff were able to answer ALL of my questions and provide my with numerous options specific to my situation.  This was a relief and allowed me to focus on coding and getting as much out of the bootcamp as possible.

Staff:  The GC  staff, down to the person, are seriously amazing.  They are incredibly passionate, knowledgeable, and supportive.  They are always looking out for their students best interest and, again, i felt immediately at ease once I met them on site at Grand Circus in downtown Detroit.  I developed lasting friendships with multiple GC team members.

The bootcamp: The bootcamp itself was awesome! i loved my instructor, the curriculum, the unique approach to learning to code, the team work, and all of our deliverables.  I felt like i was family with my fellow bootcamp teammembers and have remained in close contact with many of them. The pace of the bootcamp was malleable - our instructor and TA adjusted it weekly to match the students' grasp of the material.  this was a HUGE value add as it ensued that eveyrone was able to remain engaged in spite of challenging material.

Netoworking/job placement: UH-MAZING!  Grand Circus is DIRECTLY responsible for helping me find the best job of my life and launch my career in a completely new and exciting direction.  The GC staff used their networking contacts to secure me numerous interviews.  Since finishing my bootcamp i have started a new job with an industry leading organization that i was put in contact with through grand circus.  My role is closely related to what i studied at grand circus.

• Jack

Overall:

• Anonymous • iOS Developer • Graduate

I can't recommend Grand Circus highly enough.

The instructor and staff were all knowledgeable and helpful. I went from making ~$20k/year working two jobs to ~$80k/year at a Fortune 10 company.

It was life-changing, to put it mildly.

• Jon Werber • Developer • Graduate

The Android bootcamp at Grand Circus was a really good experience. The class size was perfect (~12) and the instructor Jayashree Ravi was really able to give meaningful one on one attention. Apart from the technical aspects of the course, building apps and learning Java fundamentals, the professor did a great job at simulating the modern development environment.

I came away from the bootcamp with hands on experience, a few apps in the play store, and within a month, a job.

• C# .Net
    - 2/22/2021
    I did a 12 week bootcamp at Grand Rapids Grand Circus,small room only about 12 people. It was very bad experience,the  Instructor  was a racists, and so was the assistance commentator.There were a few good people that I met ,but most of them put on a good front,Its alot of bullshit,you can learn this all on your own,its not worth the $10,000. The 12 weeks course is a joke,you can't learn everything in 12 weeks,its just a burnout.You wont get any sleep ,lap work are everyday 24/7.Your brain needs rests in order to efficiency learn.

If you want to learn to code all the resources are online.Youtube and other video tutorials gives you more in depth knowledge and you can learn it for free, at your own pace.You dont need a coding bootcamp,its a waste of time and money.You just need a portfolio of your work,perhaps  some meetups,employers want to see your skills from projects you created.

Outcome reports being inaccurate is nothing new, whether it's controversy over the U.S. Rankings for accredited colleges or private institutions (like Grand Circus) posting unverified statistics. The fact that the Grand Circus outcome reports on their site aren't conducted or audited by a third party should tell you not to bother taking them seriously.

The instructors' knowledge is solid, they are extremely knowledgeable and can quickly answer any questions you have about your code.

I completed a front-end bootcamp and once I started going to meet-ups and meeting more Grand Circus alumni, I found most of them were unemployed or found a job that had nothing to do with what language was taught in their bootcamp. Also, multiple students were kicked out of their bootcamp before having a chance to graduate, so the graduation rate reported in the outcome reports I saw has to be a joke. Keep in mind that this is a private, for-profit business that does not have to abide by standards or give students the right to dispute things the way that an accredited school does. They can, and literally will, kick you out with no refund if certain staff members have a reason to hold something against you. There are no clear-cut policies on anything other than the attendance requirement.

If you are considering one of their bootcamps that imply you will get a job with a specific company after graduation, don't expect it to happen. Maybe one or two people in your bootcamp will actually get hired to work there at the end (and they will likely be someone who had extensive training or experience in coding before attending Grand Circus.) The employment services department at Grand Circus mainly posts links on the GC Slack channel to all the job openings for developers that are currently on linkedin. As if you can't find that yourself.

Maybe in the beginning, employers were more likely to hire most GC graduates because this was such a new thing in Detroit, and honestly there still aren't many coding bootcamp options nearby. People from as far as Toledo enroll at GC. But now that a few years has passed since it was created, and employers have seen how students whose only coding experience was 2 months of learning the very basics weren't able to perform up to standards required of an actual developer and have fired so many GC students they hired, they are not so eager to hire recent graduates unless you have considerably more experience and skills beyond what is taught. The better bootcamps in this country, that successfully train students to work as soon as they graduate, can last 6 months to one year. For GC to keep telling people "anyone can code and be ready for employment after one of our bootcamps" is so laughable. You are learning the bare basics, which is a good start but not enough to qualify you for a full-time developer position without other skills and experience beyond what they covered.

Try to talk about any of these concerns with the staff and you'll get their very defensive, pat responses of "We know what we are doing. We've trained hundreds of students." Absolutely nothing is offered to back-up what they say, other than trying to parade around the few alumni who have good jobs and got offers before they graduated because of their background outside of GC.

GC is continuing to sell-out their bootcamps because they are the only option, not for being a great option.

The main point is that if you want to attend one of their full-time bootcamps, be prepared by having a lot of money saved up since you will have so much homework to do (their 10 hours or less a week claim is such a joke) having to work even a part-time job can prevent you from being able to complete the assignments on time and adequately practice for your assessments. They are not qualified to use federal student financial aid and if you have money saved up in an education expense account, this is not a qualifying place to use your funds towards. Be prepared to act like you have no responsibilities, no children, no family, etc. and can go out drinking with some of the GC staff after being there all day, because that is the only way you can get the upper level staff to like you, say you are an awesome student and give you professional reccomendations, apparently.

Pro Tip: If you decided to attend thier bootcamp, dont beilive they will help you find a job after graduation and dont beilive thier hiring percetage because its a lie, only 2 out of 18 students found jobs after the bootcamp. also they are very rasicst towards non whites "nothing new, right ?".

• Anonymous • full stack developer • Graduate

Overall, my experience at Grand Circus was great. The ciriculumn is very well rounded and will give you a good basis to starting a tech career. All classes have both a teacher and a TA, so there's plenty of help and attention in the classroom. The alumni network is very strong, and Grand Circus does an excellent job of creating a supportive and friendly atmosphere both when you're a student and alumni. As with any bootcamp, you need to take the daily homework assignments seriously and devote plenty of your free time to self study. The only serious critique I have of the Grand Circus bootcamp is that (1) I think the program could be longer and (2) while there is support in terms of how to go about job hunting, the school could do a better job of networking with companies in the area who want to interview students. Regardless, Grand Circus is a great program for anyone who's seroius about learning programming!

The saying you get what you put in to it really is true w/ the Grand Circus program. The tech training they provide is solid enough that you walk away with an application and coding portfolio. This is very helpful when looking for a new job in the field. In the Detroit market, more and more employers are trusting the model of a coding bootcamp but it can be difficult to get that first interview if the HR team isn't in the know that a computer science degree isn't required to be successful on the job. It took me two months after graduation to get a job. I applied to probably 40 companies, had 4 in person interviews and was able to get an offer I was happy to accept.

The time @ Grand Circus was awesome. The entire team supports students. Down to the little detail of cooking us breakfast on graduation day. They do the classwork of teaching you to code and then bring in other team members to teach other skills - - like making sure your resume is good, helping you prepare for interviews and how to talk to a tech hiring person. When you start struggling, the team really steps up to get everything in the right place. They’re big on feedback and that was really valuable to me starting out in a field I’m not at all familiar with.

I think Grand Circus does a good job trying to get everyone on a level playing field. But it can be hard when some people are far behind technically or w/ their soft skills. I wasn’t the strongest technically and that got me worried. But I was still able to lock in a job before some of my peers. I knew the kind of job I wanted and applied, followed up and did everything possible to get that first conversation with employers.  It can get discouraging when you don’t hear back from employers but you can’t give up.

• Anonymous • Software Developer • Graduate

After realizing various college models were not providing the technical skills I wanted to build online apps, I started dabbling in a few online tutorials to learn programming. Luckily many of them let you get so far for free and I was able to get a strong baseline of Java, but I knew I needed more than that to get a career in this field. I knew a computer science degree is the traditional path, but in my 30s and with a family – I knew four years, with tons gen ed. credits necessarily and tens of thousands of $$$ in debt would not suite me well.

I stumbled on Grand Circus from a friend, attended many meetups in the downtown area, spoke with alumni, attended their intro to code workshop and an open house and finally applied. Having some experience from the online classes really helped me start the bootcamp with a level head. I knew I wasn’t the best student, but I wasn’t the worst either. Grand Circus helped me understand areas that I didn’t know well and gave me the resources to better learn those skills. I think the best part of this program for me is that the staff was very realistic that this wouldn’t be a totally rosey journey. It’s a hard one that requires a lot of passion, dedication and hard work. They clearly explained a job hunt process that has worked for hundreds of alumni, created structure around the learning environment and helped me get a grasp on what it would really take to earn a career in a completely new field. The instructors are knowledgable and most have worked in the field, so that helps them better explain what it takes to be successful. The technical training was strong and they also do what they call soft skill lessons that helped me create a better resume and LinkedIn, improve my interview skills and get ready to talk to actual hiring employers.

The last two weeks of the bootcamp students spend building a project in a group with others. Then the last day of the class is a demo day so students can show their projects. This event ended up with standing room only and at least five employers came to our booth after to talk about the app we had built. No online class or college education could have ever made those introductions. Be ready to work your butt off, but know that Grand Circus will help you every way they can.

• Anonymous • Back-end Developer • Graduate

I took a boot camp with Grand Circus in 2016. It was a terrible experience! The boot camp was geared toward "Detroiters" who were new to programming. It was very telling that the class geared towards "Detroiters" was almost entirely non-white, but the other boot camps were overwhelmingly white. I love Detroit and I love my people, but Grand Circus does not. There was a clear difference between the way the staff treated out class as opposed to the others. From being told that we were not allowed to be seated while the other students did project presentations to being told that we had to wait until everyone else before we could enjoy "scraps" (that's what they called it) at a Grand Circus event (that was not invite-only, btw. It was open to the public). I could go on and on with other examples.  The vibe at Grand Circus is non-inclusive. Detroit is over 75% African-American but Grand Circus student body is overwhelmingly white. Why? It's not because African-Americans aren't interested in learning technology, false. It's not that the classes are too expensive, because they offer free classes regularly. And if you check their website or social media, the few non-white faces you see are heavily recycled to give the appearance of diversity. Diversity shouldn't be an issue in a city that's majority African-American and have very strong communities of other non-white groups. Not 1 person in my class received a job via Grand Circus. NOT 1. Except, the program manager got a promotion with the Mayor's Office jobs program, go figure. We were intelligent, fast-learners, many students had previous tech experience and hustled to make connections. Grand Circus didn't do more for me than a W3schools tutorial could've done for me. If you're not a self-learner, it's a way to get free or cheap training, but don't expect anything else besides condescending attitudes and discrimination.