grand-circus-logo

Grand Circus

Detroit, Grand Rapids

Grand Circus

Grand Circus is a learning institute offering 12-week full-time and 26-week part-time software developer bootcamps with campuses in Grand Rapids and Detroit, Michigan. Students can choose between coding bootcamps covering Java, C#/.NET, or Front End. In addition to the coding bootcamps, Grand Circus connects the region’s employers with tech talent, and offers advanced workshops, and reskilling and upskilling solutions for companies of all sizes. Workshops include introductions to coding, front end, back end, and web development fundamentals. Grand Circus instructors are experienced professionals, and focus on training students with relevant, project-based instruction that delivers real-world experience.

The mission of Grand Circus is to make a tech career universally accessible. Since launching in 2013, Grand Circus has maintained partnerships with big tech and local government entities to ensure that students are receiving the latest, most advanced training. Grand Circus helps students develop interview skills and soft skills, and organizes networking events to introduce students to employers. To date, more than 1,600 bootcamp graduates now work at over 350 companies across the Detroit-area. Grand Circus is one of ten Google for Startup North America tech hubs, and partners with Facebook, Detroit at Work, TekSystems, the Grand Rapids SmartZone, and Detroit Employment Solutions Corporation to provide a mix of funding and programming.

Although no coding experience is required to attend Grand Circus coding bootcamps, students must be intelligent, tenacious, resourceful, hardworking, self-motivated, and committed. Students should know how to work with programs like Google Drive and Microsoft Office. To apply, candidates complete an online application form, followed by an interview with Grand Circus. Once admitted, students will need to complete a 2-week, online pre-course before the start of the bootcamp. Students will receive a certificate of completion upon graduation.

Recent Grand Circus Reviews: Rating 4.51

all (45) reviews for Grand Circus →

Recent Grand Circus News

Read all (16) articles about Grand Circus →
  • C# .NET Core After-Hours Bootcamp

HTML, Git, C#, .NET, Data Visualization, CSS, Data Structures
    Start Date July 6, 2020
    LocationGrand Rapids, Detroit
    The after-hours C# .NET bootcamp at Grand Circus is designed to transform you from coding novice to programming powerhouse in twenty-six weeks of intensive technical and career readiness training. .NET Core is a programming framework used in enterprise development around the world that’s heavily integrated with the C# language. This programming language is highly in demand throughout Michigan and beyond. This After-Hours Bootcamp is a 26-week program, this includes two weeks of mandatory at-home work we call Unit One. Classes are hosted three evenings a week - Monday, Wednesday and Thursday - from 6:30-10pm.
    Financing available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit and Vemo
    Scholarship$1,750 scholarship for veterans, women, and anyone who is a part of an ethnic minority group underrepresented in tech. 50% COVID-19 Relief Scholarship
    Minimum Skill LevelWe ask that our students exhibit a growth mindset, accountability, and autonomy. We offer workshops to help students prepare technically.
    Prep WorkUnit 1 must be completed at home and passed successfully prior to the bootcamp start date.
    July 6, 2020 - Detroit Apply by May 29, 2020
    July 6, 2020 - Grand Rapids Apply by May 29, 2020
  • C# .NET Core Bootcamp

HTML, Git, C#, Data Visualization, CSS, Data Structures, SQL
    LocationGrand Rapids, Detroit
    The Full-Time C# .NET bootcamp at Grand Circus is designed to transform you from coding novice to programming powerhouse in twelve of intensive technical and career readiness training. .NET Core is a programming framework used in enterprise development around the world that’s heavily integrated with the C# language. This programming language is highly in demand throughout Michigan and beyond.
  • Front-End After-Hours Bootcamp

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, Front End, Agile
    In PersonPart Time-29 Hours/week26 Weeks
    Start Date October 12, 2020
    LocationGrand Rapids, Detroit
    The full-time Front-End bootcamp at Grand Circus is designed to transform you from coding novice to programming powerhouse in twelve weeks of intensive technical and career readiness training. You’ll leave bootcamp with a solid foundation of coding front-end experiences using Hypertext Markup Language (HTML), Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), JavaScript and Angular. Because the web is powered by a combination of visual front ends with data-crunching back ends, Grand Circus integrates back-end coursework like servers and JSON APIs, and SQL so you leave with an understanding of how front-end experiences relate to back-end systems. All along the way and after bootcamp, get essential training and support you need for a successful job search.
    October 12, 2020 - Grand Rapids Apply by September 4, 2020
  • Front-End Bootcamp

AngularJS, HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, Front End, Agile
    Deposit$800.00
    Financing available through SkillsFund and Climb Credit and Vemo
    ScholarshipAutomatic $1,750 scholarship for veterans, women, and anyone who is a part of an ethnic minority group underrepresented in tech.
    Prep WorkUnit 1 must be completed at home and passed successfully prior to bootcamp start date.
    July 20, 2020 - Grand Rapids Apply by June 12, 2020
  • Java Bootcamp

HTML, Git, JavaScript, CSS, Java, Agile
    LocationDetroit
    The full-time Java bootcamp at Grand Circus is designed to transform you from coding novice to programming powerhouse in twelve weeks of intensive technical and career readiness training. Currently running on over three billion devices, the Java programming language is one of the most in-demand on a national level. Java can be used across platforms, scale without compromising security and handle extreme traffic.

• $500 Grand Circus Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Grand Circus scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Front-End Bootcamp (Grand Rapids)
    • Front-End After-Hours Bootcamp (Grand Rapids)
    • C# .NET Core Bootcamp (Grand Rapids)
    • C# .NET Core After-Hours Bootcamp (Grand Rapids)
    • Java Bootcamp (Detroit)
    • Front-End Bootcamp (Detroit)
    • Front-End After-Hours Bootcamp (Detroit)
    • C# .NET Core Bootcamp (Detroit)
    • C# .NET Core After-Hours Bootcamp (Detroit)
  • CHUCK KNEBL  User Photo
    CHUCK KNEBL • Marketing Coordinator • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

"Sometimes it's the journey that teaches you a lot about your destination."  That is a reflection by Drake, the musician, that I found superbly sums up my experiences at a 10-week Grand Circus .Net (C#) bootcamp in Grand Rapids, Michigan, which convened on a full-time basis from March to May 2017.

Let’s begin by briefly highlighting the circumstances that spurred me to attend the bootcamp.   A career shift to backend coding was on the horizon for me after 32 years in the workforce as a writer and journalist, a stint of self-employment as a consulting web developer/marketer, a webmaster for an agricultural engineering association, and as a webmaster as well as communications manager for a nonprofit workforce-development organization.  My progress on this track was derailed in mid-2016 when my communications post was axed in a budget cut; thus, I began a year-long stint of unemployment.

During this period, I discovered a couple of gigantic themes about being jobless:  first, the circumstances drained my self-confidence; and, additionally, the situation compelled me to wrap my head around my complete lack of control over the job elimination I’d endured.   Both of these themes self-confidence and gaining a feeling of control played prominent roles in my Grand Circus experiences, as I’ll discuss shortly.

The bootcamp was rigorous in terms of the amount and complexity of new information presented in lectures, coding exercises (both solo and team-based), voluminous reading and, finally, in the pace of networking events and job-seeking activities.  All told, the experiences were like attempting to drink from a firehose!

I decided early to make a strong effort and invest lots of energy in the bootcamp, and there was a point during week six when concepts and coding exercises crystallized for me.  At this juncture, with new information and coding practices beginning to dovetail and make sense -- my confidence soared and I was heartened to see positive results produced by taking control and making a strong effort.

In addition to lots of reading and lab work, I got to know Visual Studio 2015 as well as how to frame coding questions for Google searches.  I invested plenty of time using Github to post and get code.

The strengths of the Grand Circus bootcamp I attended far outweighed the weaknesses, of which I found only one.  On the strength side of the ledger would be my interactions with Grand Circus staff members, who were knowledgeable and good communicators.  The instructor, Tommy Waalkes, was excellent in large part because he evolved from being tentative at the beginning to delivering solid, well prepared lectures after a couple weeks.  Tommy was well versed in the material and regularly delivered thoughtful, practical instruction.

In addition, he wisely used the Socratic method of asking questions of me when I needed help with a coding problem, thereby nudging me to come up with a workable answer.  Tommy’s method was acutely beneficial in helping me to see how various aspects of C# and .NET linked together, thereby empowering me to make big strides forward to complete the bootcamp.

Another strength I found was the emphasis of Grand Circus on encouraging bootcampers to network extensively, and the laser focus by Grand Circus on job-hunting abilities (from resume writing, to learning vital soft skills, to polishing your LinkedIn profile) was wonderful.

The lone weakness I’d like to report is that the physical space in Grand Rapids was a bit too small for a class of 10 students, two instructors and associated equipment.  The setting was too cramped at times.

My chief goal in attending the bootcamp was to secure employment.  I’m very excited to have started a new job in August 2017 and while it is not in coding or technology (I’m working in business-to-business (B2B) marketing for a parent operating group that runs several caster and wheel manufacturing companies), the bootcamp experiences contributed immensely to my landing this position.  How so?

By successfully completing the rigors of the Grand Circus C# .NET bootcamp, my confidence received such an enormous boost that I performed extremely well in the job interviews.  I was relaxed, made good eye contact, communicated well, provided thoughtful yet concise answers and confidently promoted myself as fully capable of accomplishing all duties of the B2B marketing job.

Thus, I found that my journey through the challenging yet superb Grand Circus bootcamp taught me much about myself – and helped enormously in reaching my current destination!

• Zalika Ockleberry  User Photo
    Zalika Ockleberry • UX Technolgist • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I graduated Grand Circus last year, full time for 2 months. I was also apart of one of grand circus's free bootcamps. We were promised if we worked hard, we would get interveiws. When it came time after graduation, we were given an excuse and told they would keep up updated. We did not hear from our program organizer until she found HER new job. 3 months later, there's a new cohort of fools like us who had interveiws afterwards. Our cohort not getting interveiws was a "fluke" according to the staff when I revisted, but other cohorts would. I ran dry my savings after going here, for nothing but very basic knowledge and disrespectful, condescending attitudes from people who aren't very diverse. The only reason I HAVE a tech job because I had to enter another program with a better cirriculum and onsite job training. I hear their paid bootcamps are better since they treat them like people instead of the way they treated us, so go here at your ow risk.

• great experience
    - 2/13/2020
    Rion • Web Coach • Graduate
    I graduated from Grand Circus in December 2019. I attended the full time Front-End bootcamp. Before I applied, I took the intro classes which I found beneficial. It was a good opportunity to see whether or not I liked coding and web design. I also learned a few tips and tricks before going into bootcamp.

The full-time bootcamp is a huge commitment. The material does go by at a very fast pace, but David Wolverton my instructor along with my TA Mitch Cuckovich did a great job with helping out to make sure the material is understood. There’s still a lot of studying to be done outside of class.

I think one of the biggest advantages of taking a bootcamp is that you’re not doing it alone. My cohort was great. You make friends, study together. collaborate on group projects and encourage each other.

The soft skills portion and classes were equally as important as the coding. Cody Grant, Hanna Root, Luke Salazar, and Grace Erdmann go over all the things to expect while you’re going through bootcamp (imposter syndrome) as well as get you prepared for job preparation (applying to jobs, resume building, elevator speeches, mock interviews, negotiating) as well as their network of recruiters and job opportunities they know about. Along with that, the career services team assist you after you graduate. Hanna and Cody really helped me stay on track with a game-plan to follow and helped me navigate through offers all while staying positive.

I highly recommend Grand Circus to anyone who’s interested in learning to code and wants to make a career change.
  • Why Not?!
    - 3/11/2019
    Tremell Lowell • UX Designer • Graduate

Before Grand Circus I was a pretty successful Hospitality manager. I left hospitality for a tech career because I wanted a change that would be useful in the future and would give me the option to freelance. I quit my job and walked into Front End bootcamp. Its called bootcamp for a reason and its worth all of it. I could barley write a line of code before walking into the doors of GC now I'm working in design at IBM.

• Carl Jones III • Graduate

My time spent in the java cohort ended with not only the training in developing software ranging from simple utilities to web applications, but also a skillset to network myself in the it/software industry. The fundamental teachings of these skills also left me able to grow and adapt to the changes in these techniques and practices over time which has also led to a continuous growth of my network of professionals. If you are hardworking and can take the time outside of class to study the concepts or even better, a self teacher. This is one of the greatest institutions of its kind to solidify your skills and make the right connection with a recruiter to begin or elevate your career!!!

• Derien Stephens • Software Developer • Graduate
    I was a part of the December 2018 Java bootcamp and now currently work as a software developer - I couldn't be happier with my decision to attend Grand Circus. Excellent preparation/learning environment!
  • Amanda • Software Developer • Graduate

Prior to bootcamp, I used a computer for such activities as buying things on Amazon and watching videos on YouTube. Obviously, I knew little about development when I started this bootcamp. I didn't know if I'd even like development, but I was determined to start a new career. In 10 weeks Grand Circus packed into my brain everything that I needed to switch my career to something I truly enjoy.

Grand Circus doesn't just take anyone - they make sure that you are prepared to enter a coding bootcamp. They spend the time providing you the tools you will need to succeed as a developer. They teach you the core concepts of the language. They teach you how to think and solve problems. They show you multiple ways to solve the same problem. They teach you how to look things up on Stack Overflow to find a solution (because you are not the first person with that question). The class sizes are small so you can ask your questions. They appropriately plan their courses with enough time to stop and thoroughly answer questions. They will go over the same piece of information until you and all your classmates understand it.

As if attending a bootcamp with such a well executed program wasn't enough, it's the people that really make it. Think of the staff like your friends teaching you something new. They make jokes with you and you get to know each other through out the course. They make becoming a developer relatable. Then the staff treats you like family when you come back. Because you will go back. Your class becomes your network. Even the classes learning other languages becomes part of your network. I still talk to the people that went through my bootcamp, as friends and for help. You can show up for help with what youre working on, you can ask them for resources and they will hook you up. They help you search for and prepare for jobs. They genuinely want you to succeed, and you can tell they actually want to help.

I had no idea what to expect going into this, but I would say it was totally worth it.

• Jr. Developer
    - 2/7/2019
    Bryan Hallman • Jr. Developer • Graduate

I am a December 2018 graduate from the full time Java Bootcamp at Grand Circus. Overall, I had a very good experience during my time at the school. The program is very challenging, but my instructor and assistant were very knowledgeable, and the staff was completely supportive. I have recently started a position as a Junior Developer with a company that frequently hires Grand Circus graduates, and am getting the opportunity to continue to build my skills in the material that I learned in the full time program. I would recommend a Grand Circus bootcamp to an interested student, but only if they are prepared to make a strong committment to the educational effort. The programs are very challenging. The students will be expected to take responsibility for their education and their own success. If a prospective student is passionate about coding, and is willing to take on the rigorous demands of the school's program, they will be well positioned to make a career change to technology, and I would recommend for them to evaluate/consider the Grand Circus program.

• Adrean O'Halloran • Digital Analyst • Graduate

I'm an alumni from the September bootcamp 2018.

Ultimately the goal of these bootcamps is to find a job post bootcamp - mission accomplished. I think that most of my Front-End cohort are in the same position just a few weeks after the bootcamp.

The coursework can be pretty difficult at times but if you put in the effort you will do well. The precourse work is a small precursor for what to expect. I'd recommend coming prepared to the class. Maybe do a Udemy course or FreeCodeCamp work.

The stimulus was matched to much of the greater Detroit market and up to date with the industry. This was one of my biggest concerns but there is a flow and a progression to the course work from the ground up.

There's much more to Grand Circus than just work in a class room. There's a real emphasis on soft-skills and a structured method to get you in your first job. There's some real talented people guiding you along the journey. Just like with your class work you're going to put in the hard work yourself. The school's network opened up the potential to meet with employers. This led to the vast majority of my employment leads.

Would recommend for motivated folks.

• Frankie Ma • Graduate

I graduated in June 2018 from the Front-End Development Bootcamp at Grand Circus. The curriculum was challenging, and I enjoyed the growth I experienced throughout the course! You get hands on experience building projects that are very practical and fun. My cohort was exceptional! I would advise collaborating and being open to feedback, it makes a world of difference.

I was exposed to the company I recently accepted a job from through an employer info-session at Grand Circus!

• Tim H • Web Developer • Student

I've completed two bootcamps at Grand Circus, which basically says all there is to say about my experience, but in case you're hangry for a side of details:

Grand Circus' instructors are competent, friendly, and very helpful. The curriculum covers all the relevant skills and tools you'll use on the job (I've been a web developer for 2+ years). The course, as a whole, is a crazy value proposition; you receive a mountain of instructional hours, great soft-skills (interview prep, networking, etc.) training, and a network that rivals earning a master's from a university for a tenth (or less) of the price.

But, it is important to remember that a bootcamp is not a silver bullet. Unless you are a literal clone of Jeff Bezos, no one is just going to hand you a job because you can put 'Developer' on your resume. A bootcamp will turn you into a (hire-able) little sapling of a developer, but the responsibility for finding your first job and growing into a big, beautiful oak tree of a coder lies with you. Don't be scared though, little code padawan, because Grand Circus prepares you to be a lifelong learner (Hey there, Stack Overflow), which is arguably the most important skill a developer can have.

So, if you're ready to go on a little adventure, be your own champion, and put in the work—definitely enroll in a bootcamp. Anyone can learn to code, it's just a skillset, and being a developer is an insanely rewarding career for anybody that likes to solve problems, build things, and continually be learning.

(P.S. - The Unity3D VR/AR bootcamp was my second course here—equally great experience—I’m just not sure whether they’re planning to offer it again)

• Kevin Naughton • Front End Developer • Graduate

Future Grand Circus Students,

I am an alumni of the Grand Circus Front End Coding Bootcamp from June to August 2017. I attended Grand Circus to learn software development and was also hoping to transition into a new career. I was ready to make a switch after working in education as a math teacher for ten years. Attending Grand Circus was hands down one of the best personal and professional decisions I’ve made to date!

The entire Grand Circus staff, top to bottom, is wonderful. The instructors and teaching assistants are extremely knowledgeable and willing to help all students master the content. In addition, Grand Circus has employees in roles designated to provide an extensive amount of soft skills training, resume refining, and interview support to each of their students.

Since graduating from bootcamp I have transitioned into a full-time position as a Front End Developer and I have seen first hand that the curriculum at Grand Circus is relevant and aligned to the work that is being done in the field. I highly suggest attending one of Grand Circuses Bootcamps if you are looking to make a career change like I was!