Code Platoon is a non-profit coding bootcamp located in Chicago, Illinois specifically designed for veterans and military spouses transitioning into the civilian workforce by providing technical training and career placement. Code Platoon offers a 14-week, full-time immersive bootcamp and a 35-week, part-time bootcamp. Both programs are available to attend in-person or remotely via video conference. Students are taught technical skills that leverage the core competencies of problem-solving, teamwork, and discipline.
Code Platoon accepts the GI Bill and VET TEC. General scholarships are also available to eligible students. The majority of students have 80% or more of their tuition covered through VA benefits and/or scholarships.
Recent Code Platoon Reviews: Rating 4.96
Recent Code Platoon News
- April 2019 Coding Bootcamp News Roundup
- June 2018 Coding Bootcamp Podcast
- November 2017 Coding Bootcamp News + Podcast
In PersonFull Time50 Hours/week13 Weeks
Deposit $500 Tuition Plans Yes Scholarship $10,500 for all Veterans, 2017 $500 All Women Full Scholarship Transgender
Minimum Skill Level Beginner Prep Work Yes Placement Test No Interview No
In PersonFull Time50 Hours/week14 Weeks
Deposit $500 Tuition Plans Yes Scholarship $10,500 for all Veterans, 2017 $500 All Women Full Scholarship Transgender
Minimum Skill Level Beginner Prep Work Yes Placement Test No Interview No
Code Platoon Reviews
46 reviews sorted by:
- Immersive Coding Experience- 5/21/2020Val Ryan Gabriel • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedInThe experience here at Code Platoon was amazing. The overall curriculum was great as it incorporated both technical and softs skill curriculum which helps students learn to be a better overall software engineer. Before Code Platoon I didn't have a good resume, a strong Linkedin, or any idea on good interview practices such as white boarding and answering behavioral questions. Now, after graduating I feel I have obtained all the necessary knowledge and confidence to continue to grow as a developer and enter the work force.
Code Platoon supplies so many resources and opportunities to the students such as, Mentors and TA's who are volunteer industry professionals, Instructors that always makes sure students are understanding the material, as well as an ability to obtain a AWS certification while attending. If you are a military veteran or spouse willing to put in the long hours of work for the next 4 months to become a software engineer this bootcamp is for you.
- Awesome experience!- 5/1/2020jorge silva • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedInCode platoon was a great experience. The curriculum is intense but rewarding. The amount of support given in incredible. Instructors, TA's, mentors, and other alumni all want you to succeed. The camaraderie established between the students in our cohort was a sight to behold.
Code platoon also prepares you for the job hunt with soft skills prep, white boarding, resume writing, mock interviews, etc. Overall, the hours are long, the course work can seem overwhelming at times, but that makes it that just more rewarding at the end. If you're a military veteran or a veteran spouse, i would suggest code platoon.
- Saumya • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedInI don't think there is any other program like this. The director of education, Jonathan Young has done outstanding job structuring the curriculum. His experience working as Senior Software Engineer combined with his past experience of teaching Chicago Public Schools has certainly benefitted Code Platoon. The program's director, Rodrigo Levy is personally invested in student's success. His connections with corporate sponsors and industry professionals provide invaluable networking opportunities for Code Platoon graduates. If you are a veteran or a military spouse interested in Software Engineering Code Platoon is a wonderful place to start.
- Justin Savage • Full Stack Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedInThe support here is great from onboarding to the coursework, in and out of the classroom, this program is built to set you up for success. Teachers, TA's, mentors, and alumni are all lined up to help you succeed if you put in the work. Code Platoon's weekly commitment to involve all students in a 'what could we do better' session is a testament to their quality commitment. Having just graduated now, I can’t think of another group I’ve been prouder to be a part of. It’s been such an intense challenge, it’s been a family, and no other program or school feels like it's better prepared me for where I’m going next.
- What are you waiting for?- 4/16/2020Stephen Smith • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedInAs a recent graduate of this program of about ( T- 8hr); I can honestly say this is the experience of a lifetime. The instructors give challenging curriculums, which help prepare you for a real-world scenarios. You receive individualized attention, as the instructors help build upon your prospective without interjecting theirs. All members of the program respect you as an individual with varying life experiences and see you as a human. If you want respect and validation, this is the place for you.
- This is a rare opportunity...- 12/12/2019John Losier • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedIn
I have never seen an organization more committed to the success of Veterans and spouses than Code Platoon. The instruction is excellent and dynamic in keeping up with trends in the industry. I don't know of any other non-profit coding boot camp that serves Veterans and their spouses exclusively.
For anyone thinking that Code Platoon is a place that magically makes you a developer in a few months and hands you a job, you're mistaken. The students that make it at Code Platoon have a baseline passion for learning. They have motivations to learn software development that aren't exclusively financial. Successful students approach the learning material with genuine humility (despite what experience they may have had programming before).
The course load is substantial, with most students working about 12 hours daily (sometimes on the weekends) to accomplish challenges and projects. The instructors are technical experts who want to see you succeed. The soft-skills curriculum and internship opportunities are surreal.
The more you do to prepare for the course, the better off you will be. Take the pre-work seriously, learn what is required before you show up, and ask the instructors questions. If you fake it or copy-paste code on your application, you won't make it in the course.
Code Platoon is already opening doors for us, and I am grateful. A scarce opportunity that you shouldn't pass up if you have a genuine interest in coding.
- Code Platoon- 12/12/2019Jordon West • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Chicago • Verified via GitHub
Code Platoon was an absolutely amazing experience. I, of course, had loads of reservations about committing to a coding bootcamp after hearing loads of horror stories, but I'm very pleased that none of the awful things I've heard occur in Code Platoon. Rod and his instructors are 100% devoted to the cause: getting veterans and their spouses trained in the industry, and most importantly, getting them that all-important first job. The instructors had just turned over when my cohort got started, but the course was strong, the method of teaching was established, and the head instructor is still heavily involved with the direction of the course. I believe a key to their success is their constant request for feedback and almost immediate response to concerns that need to be addressed. This program is constantly improving, and I can only imagine this bootcamp is going to become more and more well known than it already is.
Again, a very high-quality veteran-only, result-driven bootcamp that will absolutely get you into this industry if you want to be there. Very lucky to be a part of it.
- Veterans, need not look elsewhere!- 4/30/2019Ben • Software Engineer Apprentice • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive / Remote Attendance • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedIn
If you're a veteran and looking at bootcamp options, hands down Code Platoon is the best choice for you!
Curriculum & Overall Experience:
The curriculm is solid, thorough and has a good range of challenging stuff, with lighter stuff mixed in through the varying weeks. You get exposed to a good range of things, with not a whole lot of handholding (Use your instructors and classmates for the challenging stuff!). One of the best and unique things about CP is that they will bring in outside speakers, for workshops throughout - and those not only give you exposure to advanced topics, but context and alternative learning to the topics. In particular the SQL Workshop was amazing and shed light on a whole new range of SQL stuff I didn't know. Pair Progamming is part of the curriculm as well so you get to work on those skills alongside learning the Full Stack. Our program we learned Python w/ Django - and it was a pretty solid overview of those technologies. You also learn how to host your website using Heroku which is something I didn't learn at a previous bootcamp I went to.
In our cohort we learned Full-stack Web Development; Python/Django for the backend and React for the frontend. Whilst we didn't get too into the weeds of React, we went over React really good to the point where we could create fleshed out React Apps. I did wish we went a bit more into the nitty gritty of React.
Throughout the course you have assessments that help gauge where you are in the program, which all felt really solid and a good check-and-balance of where we were at technically with our skillset. Also you get access to TA every night which is kind of invaluable, since they are actual developers who have been working in the industry! On top of that, the Workshops sprinkled through the program are a great bonus, getting to learn advanced topics, from different instructors on different topics.
Also during the last stretch of the program the individual project week & group project week were some of the best parts of the whole course! You get to spend a week at a host companies office, get to really learn to use Git and how to work on a group project. Something that I didn't really have at the prior bootcamp, that I really enjoyed at CP.
Having went to another top bootcamp, I've had a wide range of instructors and by far Jon and Josh were the best instructors I've ever had. They know how to communicate the technical topics in a way that you can understand, open to going more into depth with topics or providing alternative solutions, walking us through the though process as well as instilling in us the best kind of mindset to tackling problems. They even go over whiteboarding problems! Which is under appreciated as a help for the job assistance!
I participated in the internship program and was placed afterwards - the experience was hard, stressful but amazing. CP partners with great companies - also have a whole resume building, coaching, interview practice questions, the whole 9 yards. I came out with a killer new resume, a plethora of resources to work on my skills that I felt very prepared going into interview week.
Again, if you're a Veteran looking to get into Tech and are checking out bootcamps. CP is the best value, and one of the best bootcamps you can take. If I could go back in time and go to CP instead of the other bootcamp I went to, I would have (saving myself a lot of $$$, and some time). Even coming into CP after doing another bootcamp is a great option because you will still be challenged, still learn some new things, get exposed and connected to a network of developers and other veterans to help you.
- Awesome Program- 4/17/2019Gina Hobbs • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive / Remote Attendance • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedIn
I was a remote student at Code Platoon and want to make it clear that it is a completely viable option. Students participate live in the classroom through Zoom and are able to engage with the instructors while learning the material. Sometimes there would be technical issues with the microphone and camera, but these problems were always solved before class began so remote students never felt like an afterthought and we were always able to participate. The class is also recorded, so if there are any issues where you can’t make class it is possible to watch the recording and catch back up.
The downside to the remote option is that you are ineligible for the internships that Code Platoon offers. However, they are willing to work with you and allow you to attend the class part remote and part in person. This allows you access to the internships and is a great way to stretch funds if you’ve used up the GI Bill or can’s get Voc-Rehab to go through in time.
The instructors genuinely care about your success and are always available to help. They expect you to hit bumps in the road and they are more than willing to go over the material with you until it finally clicks, regardless of whether you’re in person or not.
- Soris Cox • Student • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive / Remote Attendance • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedIn
Code Platoon provides an amazing life-changing opportunity for veterans and military spouses. Over the course of a short amount of time, you will be exposed to tools, techniques, and practices to prepare you to enter the workforce as a software developer.
- Mentors, TAs, Staff - You get a sense that everyone really cares and is there to support your learning and development.
- Code Platoon encourages and values your feedback. Every week ends with a retrospective where students can discuss how the week went and what could be done differently to improve things. If possible, changes are implemented immediately. Additionally, students can communicate how they are feeling about their progress via a check-in form. I was very impressed with this process.
- Workshops/lectures on topics beyond technology such as personal finance, preparing for interviews, diversity/inclusion, and job search tips
- Very time intensive. If you want to succeed, you will need to dedicate the time the program requires. I knew this going in and tried to do my best to manage... but its worth mentioning again... many many 12+ hour days with coursework, challenges, and then eventually full-stack projects.
- Some workshops were more difficult to follow as a remote attendee but I don't think that is the fault of the organization.
- Student- 4/17/2019Caroline • Student • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Chicago • Verified via GitHub
Code Platoon is an amazing program. I have learnt an incredible amount in such a short time. The instructors are dedicated and their support to helping us suceed is awesome - each student is given at least one mentor, and TAs are available in the evenings. The internship program is what sets Code Platoon apart from other bootcamps.
- Student (graduating)- 4/17/2019Chris Miller • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedIn
What an amazing experience! I came in with very little knowledge about software engineering, and now at the end of the course, I have a great understanding of multiple languages, frameworks, and core competencies to not only build projects, but gain meaningful employment!
The instructors, TA's, mentors, and coaches all came together to create a supportive learning environment that pushed my capacity to learn new things to a level i didnt think was possible.
I am so grateful for this course and the opportunities that this course has provided me.
- Student- 4/17/2019Joshua • Student • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedIn
- Want to learn to code? Attend Code Platoon.- 9/28/2018michael dorsey • Full Stack Web Developer • Student • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedIn
Code platoon has literally changed my life. The quality of the information and teaching is superb. They not only helped me land an internship but they gave me other skills and exposure that I would not have gotten otherwise. I gained 3 lifelong mentors (I still meet with them till this day), a wealth of information that propelled me to new heights, and great experiences. If you truly want a boot camp that prepares you for the tech industry, specifically full stack web development, then CP (Code Platoon) is where you want to come. You will NOT be disappointed.
- Review Code Platoon- 3/29/2018Michael Lynn • IT Consultant • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive / Remote Attendance • Campus: Chicago • Verified via LinkedIn
- Opens Doors- 5/10/2017John Cibula • Software Developer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Chicago • Verified via GitHub
I just graduated from Code Platoon and have interviews with companies that would never consider looking at me 14 weeks before. The Code Platoon team is dedicated to providing the best educational experience possibe to its members. If you are a Veteran and are looking at Developr Bootcamps, Code Platoon is the best choice by far.
- Well worth it!- 5/9/2017Raul Vasquez • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Chicago • Verified via GitHub
Code Platoon devotion to the veteran community is unprecedented. The lead instructor is uniquely qualified to get veterans into the tech community. He cares about the students and is a real fan of the technologies he teaches. He brings a no student left behind approach by always making adjustments to maximize learning.
Rod's unique ability to allocate resources is something never seen in the veteran community. He's connected to many companies and involves them to give the students what they need. He created an environment that allowed us to be face to face with the people in the community that we are trying to enter.
They will hit the ground running, so it is important that you know the fundamentals because you are the only limit to how much they will teach you.
- The only reason I'm giving Code Platoon a 4 star rating is to make you more likely to choose this school! https://www.reviewtrackers.com/5-star-rating/ Seriously though, I have recommended this camp to so many of my friends from the military, anyone who has gotten out recently or separating soon. We all learned so much, had a ridiculous amount of volunteer support, and paid such a low price for a high quality school. This program is a gift to us veterans. Take it, but prepare for it and work hard!
- Great experience for military and their spouses- 5/12/2020Alex Taylor • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: ChicagoIf you are thinking of breaking into software development this program is a must. It offers a fantastic curriculum and great instruction. I had no coding experience at all prior to enrolling and the program, while challenging, was very rewarding. There was always help when I needed it. No student was left behind in my cohort, even students like myself that were starting from nothing. What surprised me the most about the course was the career development and post-course opportunities. Internships are offered after the course and if you don't get placed in one of those, there are plenty of networking opportunities that you can take advantage of to ensure timely employment in the tech industry. Along with the instruction, Code Platoon has excellent alumni support, daily TA volunteers from within the industry, and mentorship that lasts throughout the program and beyond. This program far exceeded my expectations and has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.
- Best Network - Best Value- 4/29/2020Bek Zhuma • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: ChicagoTo keep it short and sweet:
- CodePlatoon (CP) offers best value for money - no other bootcamp can match that.
Instructors and Volunteers:
- If you're thinking of applying through Job Boards or companies' career postings - you're doing it wrong. You will be among hundreds of applicants for entry-level positions (college grads with Computer Science degrees, other bootcamp grads, and other junior engineers).
- The best way of getting a job is through your network! A lot of times great positions in good companies are unadvertised and/or are filled through referrals.
- CP has a massive network of staff, alumni and volunteers who are professional software engineers. Once you graduate, they become a part of YOUR network.
- Since CP is tailored for veterans and their spouses - it is a very exclusive bootcamp and class sizes are really small.
- You can get attention and assistance from several full-time instructors, teaching assistants, volunteers.
- For example, during a normal day I could ask for help from 2 instructors and at least 5 TA's - all for a class of 20 students. Compare that with a bootcamp where you are a one of a 100 other students.
Internship Program (for Chicago students):
- No video tutorials, no BS, just the stuff you need for work.
- A lot of hands-on programming and exercises!
- The curriculum is always evolving - to adapt to job market requirements, and with the feedback from prior students.
- This is the secret sauce – you get to interview with the best companies in Chicago and get a shot of landing an internship with them immediately after graduation.
- The best part is that they come to you! They come to Code Platoon and interview you!
- I have never ever heard of any other bootcamp or even CS grads getting such an opportunity.
- Absolutely The Best- 1/16/2020Hal Baird • Patent Attorney • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive / Remote Attendance • Campus: Chicago
The Code Platoon full-stack development boot camp is outstanding in every way. The curriculum is up to date and relevant to the current job market. The instructors are all consummate professionals with tremendous knowledge and insight to share regarding what is really happening in software development today. The instructors, staff, and teaching assistants are all selfless to a fault in giving of their time and energy to ensure each student's needs are met all of the time. The Code Platoon administrators have thought of every need a student might have and they provide resources and people to meet those needs. For example, each student is assigned a mentor who currently works in the software development industry and an equally-qualified personal resume coach. The mentor and coach have at least weekly interactions with each student throughout the course. The curriculum also includes extensive instruction and practical exercises on interviewing skills and job search strategies. Any veteran or spouse of a veteran could not find a better boot camp in all the world! A first-rate organization run by first-rate people!!
- Student- 12/12/2019Michael Blaha • Software Engineer • Graduate • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Chicago
- Life-changing Experience- 12/12/2019Marcos • Student • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Chicago
If you are a veteran looking to attend a coding boot camp and break into tech, this is absolutely the program for you. Code Platoon is about more than teaching you how to code. It's about preparing you to be a well rounded candidate for a postition as a junior developer. There isn't another program out there that has the support staff, volunteers and networking opportunities that Code Platoon has.
- Holly Burd • Student • Course: Full Stack Web Developer Immersive • Campus: Chicago
On-Time Graduation Rate
100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 9 graduates included in report: