code-platoon-logo

Code Platoon

Chicago

Code Platoon

Code Platoon is a non-profit coding bootcamp located in Chicago, Illinois specifically designed for veterans and military spouses transitioning into the civilian workforce by providing technical training and career placement. Code Platoon offers a 14-week, full-time immersive bootcamp and a 35-week, part-time bootcamp. Both programs are available to attend in-person or remotely via video conference. Students are taught technical skills that leverage the core competencies of problem-solving, teamwork, and discipline.

The Code Platoon curriculum immerses students in learning full stack web development, including Python, Django, JavaScript, HTML, and CSS. The Python and Javascript track includes five modules: computer science/programming fundamentals, the World Wide Web, data science, Amazon Web Services, and creating applications. No prior programming experience is required to enroll. Upon graduation, students are eligible for paid internships with Code Platoon’s corporate sponsors.

Code Platoon accepts the GI Bill and VET TEC. General scholarships are also available to eligible students. The majority of students have 80% or more of their tuition covered through VA benefits and/or scholarships.

Recent Code Platoon Reviews: Rating 4.97

all (60) reviews for Code Platoon →

Recent Code Platoon News

Read all (10) articles about Code Platoon →
  • Full Stack Web Developer Immersive

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Ruby, SQL
    LocationChicago
    This class teaches all of the necessary components to become a full-stack web developer. Over 20 (6 remote, 14 in person) intense weeks, you will be taught Ruby, Rails, Javascript, ReactJS, HTML and CSS. You will also learn industry best practices, including test driven development, pair programming, version control with Git,and Agile processes.
    Tuition PlansYes
    Scholarship$10,500 for all Veterans, 2017 $500 All Women Full Scholarship Transgender
  • Full Stack Web Developer Immersive / Remote Attendance

HTML, JavaScript, Sinatra, Rails, CSS, React.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    LocationChicago
    Tuition PlansYes
  • Conlin McManus  User Photo
    Conlin McManus • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I am a Marine Veteran. I've spent 5 years in Supply and Logistics and as I began my transition out of the marines I was trying to figure out a way to move into a career in software engineering. Code Platoon was my solution. I had thought about taking the first job I could find then studying on my own to get to a level that I could be hired at. I am so glad I did not do that. In the 14 weeks of study, I acquired a greater depth of knowledge in Software Development than I could have attained in over a year of studying on my own.

This course was tough and very demanding of my time, however, I have no regrets. The quality of instruction and depth of understanding gained in each area covered is unparalleled. I hope this review has been helpful to you in your decision-making process. Please reach out to me on LinkedIn if you have any questions. linkedin.com/in/conlin-mcmanus-78a39128

• Emma • Graduate
    I had a great experience at Code Platoon. The instructors are extremely invested in each student, and there is always someone to ask for help when you feel lost. I never really imagined that I could learn so much so fast. Also, aside from the coursework, the internship opportunities offered by companies to graduates at the end of the course is something that I had not read about being offered at any other coding bootcamp. The different kinds of scholarships and grants afforded to students to help with tuition also make this program a great opportunity for anyone able to attend Code Platoon.
  • Heather Salyer • Graduate
    The decision to attend a coding bootcamp was a hard one for me to make. I worried that the course would be too fast-paced and I would get left behind. Code Platoon immediately made me feel welcome and cared for and I knew it was the school for me. I never felt alone and there was always someone to help when I became stuck. I would highly recommend this bootcamp to anyone that is eligible to attend. It is a lot of work, but the instructors and TAs are there to support you. If you put in the work you will get through the course. This is the best decision I have ever made, and I am so thankful to Code Platoon for offering such a wonderful opportunity. I am proud to be a part of the Code Platoon family.
  • Michael Grandori • Full-stack Web Developer • Graduate
    Code platoon has 3 major things that after my exhaustive search for a DoD skill bridge program that others simply do not have:

1) A tech stack that forces you to learn multiple technologies and therefore become more confident in your ability to find the similarities in new languages and apply them. Don’t come here thinking you are just gonna learn JavaScript-everything-stack and leave it at that.

2) A comprehensive soft skills program covering topics like wealth management, inclusion and diversity, and career/interview prep. I had historically struggled with interviews due to excessive nervousness- but taking a day per question to bullet point out my response and practicing it throughout  the cohort (yes, including in front of the whole cohort of 22! Get out of your comfort zone!) made me realize that I am actually pretty damn good at interviewing, I just previously hadn’t been practiced enough.

3) A network of top tier companies that are completely and utterly invested in the product that code platoon delivers. No where else will you find 3-4 members of a company with a combined 35 years of experience come in to present their offerings, give mock interviews, check up on students, and ultimately give paid internships to them. With all the amazing competition in Chicago, this demonstrates incredible faith these companies have that the students they place there have learned to learn.
  • Jason Rideout • Student
    Code Platoon is much more than a coding boot camp. It is a program by veterans for veterans that genuinely prepares you for a transition into the tech field. Along with programming, the instructors teach interview preparation, resume writing, and other skills needed to be successful. Code Platoon offers to match you with a mentor already in the field early in the program. It is not required, but I would recommend it!
    - 1/21/2021
    Tim • Graduate
    I had a great experience at Code Platoon. It's tough but highly rewarding. A few positives: broad core curriculum, interesting workshops by guest speakers, & solid interview prep. Also, CP is very intentional about managing the program cost; many students were on full scholarships through VET-TEC and Skillbridge. Just know, the pace is extremely fast; burnout is possible when you're putting in the requisite time.
  • Great bootcamp
    - 1/21/2021
    augiek
    I learned more than I thought possible, all in a supportive and flexible environment. I feel lucky to've gotten to attend CP. The instructors were excellent, and both the technical and career prep curricula were outstanding. If you're a veteran or military spouse thinking about learning to code, I'd look long and hard at Code Platoon.
  • Kevin Maguire • Graduate

Originally, I was completely unaware of Code Platoon as a coding bootcamp option.  It was appealing for a few reasons:  VET-TEC approved, follow veterans and spouses, full stack web development and a full-time remote option.  If you have no prior experience in programming, you will not be left behind.  However, you will need to put in several hours outside of lecture and beyond the homework.  The best thing to help your progression will be learning how you learn.  I watched a lot of YouTube tutorials prior to starting new languages, frameworks or libraries to get familiar.  Reading documentation is also extremely helpful and underrated.  You will more than likely be overwhelmed at the beginning and at additional points.

Once you start learning, you get exposed to an exponential amount of computer science disciplines.  This isn’t new information if you have been reading up on attending a bootcamp, but I want to make it clear there will be stress involved.  The staff and teaching assistances will help you understand the material, not just complete it, and will answer all your questions.  The bootcamp is still working 100% remote due to COVID-19 restrictions and safety.  Therefore, you need to make sure you ask questions.  The program sets you up for success with an excellent curriculum, which is not limited to development.  It also includes internships, job placement assistance, resume assistance, budget management, investment strategies and one-on-one mentorship.  These are all great benefits if you take advantage of them.  Find your motivator and hold to it throughout the program.  If you do that, Code Platoon will help you with the rest to start a rewarding career in software development.

It took me nearly six months to get placed after regular applications and interviews.  They will attempt to find a career for you in your area with the help of Rich and the Chicago staff.  They consistently work with you to work on interviews, resumes, networking and introductions to potential employers.  The bootcamp does not end when you graduate, and they support you to remain on task. I could not state enough how helpful it is to have someone keeping you on track and motivated, especially in this current economic climate.  The strategies we developed together, and the consistent communication were crucial for my successful placement at an excellent company in the Boston area.
  • Chase Thorpe • Front End Software Engineer • Graduate
    After doing network security for a number of years in the Navy, I was ready to rejoin civilian life and knew that I wanted to get into software engineering. I started researching various programs and bootcamps that I could take part in through the DoD Skillbridge program. Code Platoon was hands down the only choice for me after looking at probably 7 or 8 different programs. This program is 100% catered to veterans, by veterans and you can really tell from start to finish. I just want to highlight a couple of my experiences, starting with the initial application, to the the course content itself, and finally, to the post graduation support.

Every single person at Code Platoon goes out of their way to make you feel informed about what you are getting into. I never once felt like I was being sold a product or being duped into signing up. My first few phone calls were with the Executive Director and he went out of his way to answer all my questions and to be available even though we were multiple time zones away from each other. Code Platoon is not a program that is out to get your money. They offer a number of attendance and scholarship models and if you take part in the DoD Skillbridge program, they offer a full scholarship to the remote program. This ended up saving me a significant amount of money. One key highlight on this aspect is how they responded to the Covid situation. I was initially supposed to take part in the "in person" program (this confers certain benefits not available to "remote" students such as in person workshops, an internship program, etc) which is not 100% funded by Skillbridge scholarship. However, due to Covid we were forced to go remote for the duration of the course and this made travelling to Chicago impossible. Code Platoon could have easily continued to hold me in an "In Person" status and charge me the money that I would have had to pay, but they didnt and I didn't even have to ask. The Director called me, and said due to the situation I was welcome to change my status to "remote" if I wanted in order to save me some money. I was so impressed by this level of integrity from a business.

So on to the course content, is it any good? Upon starting Code Platoon, I already had a degree in Software Development and was primarily using the course for more hands on and practical experience. I can honestly say that this is some of the best instruction you can get and rivaled or topped many of my classes in college. The curriculum is designed to get you proficient with the most relevant and in demand technologies in Web Development and by the end, you are building full stack web applications with multiple programming languages and frameworks. One small thing to point out here is: the bootcamp is fast paced and there is a lot to cover (llike every bootcamp will be) so while you do get a ton of hands on practice building apps and will feel comfortable building by the end, not a ton of time is spent understanding theory and computer science concepts(this is not going to get you a degree in computer science). However, this is not a critique of Code Platoon specifically, but of the bootcamp model in general. You get a lot of the "how", but I wish students got a bit more of the "why" as well. That aside, by the end of the program you will absolutely be ready to accept a junior developer role. While the pace and intensity is very high, one thing I liked about the instructors was that they never made you feel like you were slowing them down or wasting their time. Even though there's a ton of content to get through, they always made sure to pause for questions, and would flesh out anything that wasn't making sense and if necessary, would spend time with you offline or after hours making sure you got through whatever you were stuck on. I really can't say enough about how great and patient all of the instructors were.

Finally, I wanted to say a couple of things about career prep and post graduation resources. Throughout the course, many many hours are spent not just teaching you the technical skills, but preparing you for all of the things outside of coding (resume building, LinkedIn presence/networking, interview practice, job hunting, etc.). You get a ton of practice answering typical interview questions as well as technical whiteboarding questions. You do this both privately and in front of the class which really helps shake off the nerves and performance anxiety that comes with interviews. They also bring in industry professionals to do both technical and non technical workshops to give you different perspectives on various aspects of the industry. This is long enough now so I'll just finish by saying that Code Platoon was an incredible experience and I have already landed my first job as a software engineer, largely thanks to the skills I gained through this course.
  • Aaron Wood • Graduate
    If you are a veteran or a spouse of a veteran and looking to get into the software engineering field, applying to attend this program should be the only thing you consider.  I am a recent graduate and not only did they teach me the relevant skills to dive into a post-military job, they also taught me the soft-skills needed to land one (resume / linkedin reviews, mock interviews, etc...).  I am so happy I found this program.  I was a DoD SkillBridge remote attendee, so I didn't qualify for post-course internship opportunities, but that program is available for in-person students who decide to reside in Chicago.
  • Alex Taylor • Graduate
    If you are thinking of breaking into software development this program is a must. It offers a fantastic curriculum and great instruction. I had no coding experience at all prior to enrolling and the program, while challenging, was very rewarding. There was always help when I needed it. No student was left behind in my cohort, even students like myself that were starting from nothing. What surprised me the most about the course was the career development and post-course opportunities. Internships are offered after the course and if you don't get placed in one of those, there are plenty of networking opportunities that you can take advantage of to ensure timely employment in the tech industry. Along with the instruction, Code Platoon has excellent alumni support, daily TA volunteers from within the industry, and mentorship that lasts throughout the program and beyond. This program far exceeded my expectations and has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.
  • Bek Zhuma • Software Engineer • Graduate
    To keep it short and sweet:
    Value:
    • CodePlatoon (CP) offers best value for money - no other bootcamp can match that.
    Career Prospects:
    • If you're thinking of applying through Job Boards or companies' career postings - you're doing it wrong. You will be among hundreds of applicants for entry-level positions (college grads with Computer Science degrees, other bootcamp grads, and other junior engineers).
    • The best way of getting a job is through your network! A lot of times great positions in good companies are unadvertised and/or are filled through referrals.
    • CP has a massive network of staff, alumni and volunteers who are professional software engineers. Once you graduate, they become a part of YOUR network.
    Instructors and Volunteers:
    • Since CP is tailored for veterans and their spouses - it is a very exclusive bootcamp and class sizes are really small.
    • You can get attention and assistance from several full-time instructors, teaching assistants, volunteers.
    • For example, during a normal day I could ask for help from 2 instructors and at least 5 TA's - all for a class of 20 students. Compare that with a bootcamp where you are a one of a 100 other students.
    • No video tutorials, no BS, just the stuff you need for work.
    • A lot of hands-on programming and exercises!
    • The curriculum is always evolving - to adapt to job market requirements, and with the feedback from prior students.
    Internship Program (for Chicago students):
    • This is the secret sauce – you get to interview with the best companies in Chicago and get a shot of landing an internship with them immediately after graduation.
    • The best part is that they come to you! They come to Code Platoon and interview you!
    • I have never ever heard of any other bootcamp or even CS grads getting such an opportunity.

Code Platoon Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 9 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Code Platoon CIRR Report here.