code-platoon-logo

Code Platoon

Chicago

Code Platoon

Code Platoon is a non-profit coding bootcamp located in Chicago, Illinois specifically designed for veterans and military spouses transitioning into the civilian workforce by providing technical training and career placement. Code Platoon offers a 14-week, full-time immersive bootcamp and a 35-week, part-time bootcamp. Both programs are available to attend in-person or remotely via video conference. Students are taught technical skills that leverage the core competencies of problem-solving, teamwork, and discipline.

The Code Platoon curriculum immerses students in learning full stack web development, including Python, Django, JavaScript, HTML, and CSS. The Python and Javascript track includes five modules: computer science/programming fundamentals, the World Wide Web, data science, Amazon Web Services, and creating applications. No prior programming experience is required to enroll. Upon graduation, students are eligible for paid internships with Code Platoon’s corporate sponsors.

Code Platoon accepts the GI Bill and VET TEC. General scholarships are also available to eligible students. The majority of students have 80% or more of their tuition covered through VA benefits and/or scholarships.

Recent Code Platoon Reviews: Rating 4.96

all (51) reviews for Code Platoon →

Recent Code Platoon News

Read all (10) articles about Code Platoon →
  • Full Stack Web Developer Immersive

HTML, Git, JavaScript, Sinatra, jQuery, Rails, CSS, Ruby, SQL
    LocationChicago
    This class teaches all of the necessary components to become a full-stack web developer. Over 20 (6 remote, 14 in person) intense weeks, you will be taught Ruby, Rails, Javascript, ReactJS, HTML and CSS. You will also learn industry best practices, including test driven development, pair programming, version control with Git,and Agile processes.
    Tuition PlansYes
    Scholarship$10,500 for all Veterans, 2017 $500 All Women Full Scholarship Transgender
  • Full Stack Web Developer Immersive / Remote Attendance

HTML, JavaScript, Sinatra, Rails, CSS, React.js, Front End, Ruby, SQL
    LocationChicago
    Tuition PlansYes
  • Soris Cox  User Photo
    Soris Cox • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

Code Platoon provides an amazing life-changing opportunity for veterans and military spouses. Over the course of a short amount of time, you will be exposed to tools, techniques, and practices to prepare you to enter the workforce as a software developer.

Pros:

• Mentors, TAs, Staff - You get a sense that everyone really cares and is there to support your learning and development.
    • Code Platoon encourages and values your feedback. Every week ends with a retrospective where students can discuss how the week went and what could be done differently to improve things. If possible, changes are implemented immediately. Additionally, students can communicate how they are feeling about their progress via a check-in form. I was very impressed with this process.
    • Workshops/lectures on topics beyond technology such as personal finance, preparing for interviews, diversity/inclusion, and job search tips

Cons:

• Very time intensive. If you want to succeed, you will need to dedicate the time the program requires. I knew this going in and tried to do my best to manage... but its worth mentioning again... many many 12+ hour days with coursework, challenges, and then eventually full-stack projects.
    • Some workshops were more difficult to follow as a remote attendee but I don't think that is the fault of the organization.

- 4/17/2019
    Caroline  User Photo
    Caroline • Student Verified via GitHub

Code Platoon is an amazing program.  I have learnt an incredible amount in such a short time. The instructors are dedicated and their support to helping us suceed is awesome - each student is given at least one mentor, and TAs are available in the evenings. The internship program is what sets Code Platoon apart from other bootcamps.

• Chris Miller  User Photo
    Chris Miller • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

What an amazing experience! I came in with very little knowledge about software engineering, and now at the end of the course, I have a great understanding of multiple languages, frameworks, and core competencies to not only build projects, but gain meaningful employment!

The instructors, TA's, mentors, and coaches all came together to create a supportive learning environment that pushed my capacity to learn new things to a level i didnt think was possible.

I am so grateful for this course and the opportunities that this course has provided me.

- 4/17/2019
    Joshua  User Photo
    Joshua • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Code Platoon was a very rewarding and very challenging experience for me. Before this program, I didn't really have a grasp or understanding on any coding. After, I feel confident enough to start building apps and comfortable using Javascript and Python. The class cohesion was a critical aspect I feel that sets this bootcamp apart from others. Everyone in the class was there to learn and help each other grow. The instructors were always there to provide assistance and answer questions. We had mentors and TA's volunteer their time to contribute to our overall learning in class. I highly recommend this course to any vet looking to start a career in software development!

• michael dorsey  User Photo
    michael dorsey • Full Stack Web Developer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Code platoon has literally changed my life. The quality of the information and teaching is superb. They not only helped me land an internship but they gave me other skills and exposure that I would not have gotten otherwise. I gained 3 lifelong mentors (I still meet with them till this day), a wealth of information that propelled me to new heights, and great experiences. If you truly want a boot camp that prepares you for the tech industry, specifically full stack web development, then CP (Code Platoon) is where you want to come. You will NOT be disappointed.

• Michael Lynn  User Photo
    Michael Lynn • IT Consultant • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

The most effective bootcamp of IT people! Rod Levy has a well respected and efficient program. Jon the lead instructor is fantastic. I wish all veterans thinking of an IT career would look toward this great outfit!

• Opens Doors
    - 5/10/2017
    John Cibula  User Photo
    John Cibula • Software Developer • Graduate Verified via GitHub

I just graduated from Code Platoon and have interviews with companies that would never consider looking at me 14 weeks before. The Code Platoon team is dedicated to providing the best educational experience possibe to its members. If you are a Veteran and are looking at Developr Bootcamps, Code Platoon is the best choice by far.

• Well worth it!
    - 5/9/2017
    Raul Vasquez  User Photo
    Raul Vasquez • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Code Platoon devotion to the veteran community is unprecedented. The lead instructor is uniquely qualified to get veterans into the tech community. He cares about the students and is a real fan of the technologies he teaches. He brings a no student left behind approach by always making adjustments to maximize learning.

Rod's unique ability to allocate resources is something never seen in the veteran community. He's connected to many companies and involves them to give the students what they need. He created an environment that allowed us to be face to face with the people in the community that we are trying to enter.

They will hit the ground running, so it is important that you know the fundamentals because you are the only limit to how much they will teach you.

• Michael Lee  User Photo
    Michael Lee • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    The only reason I'm giving Code Platoon a 4 star rating is to make you more likely to choose this school! https://www.reviewtrackers.com/5-star-rating/ Seriously though, I have recommended this camp to so many of my friends from the military, anyone who has gotten out recently or separating soon. We all learned so much, had a ridiculous amount of volunteer support, and paid such a low price for a high quality school. This program is a gift to us veterans. Take it, but prepare for it and work hard!
  • Conlin McManus  User Photo
    Conlin McManus • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I am a Marine Veteran. I've spent 5 years in Supply and Logistics and as I began my transition out of the marines I was trying to figure out a way to move into a career in software engineering. Code Platoon was my solution. I had thought about taking the first job I could find then studying on my own to get to a level that I could be hired at. I am so glad I did not do that. In the 14 weeks of study, I acquired a greater depth of knowledge in Software Development than I could have attained in over a year of studying on my own.

This course was tough and very demanding of my time, however, I have no regrets. The quality of instruction and depth of understanding gained in each area covered is unparalleled. I hope this review has been helpful to you in your decision-making process. Please reach out to me on LinkedIn if you have any questions. linkedin.com/in/conlin-mcmanus-78a39128

• Kevin Maguire • Graduate

Originally, I was completely unaware of Code Platoon as a coding bootcamp option.  It was appealing for a few reasons:  VET-TEC approved, follow veterans and spouses, full stack web development and a full-time remote option.  If you have no prior experience in programming, you will not be left behind.  However, you will need to put in several hours outside of lecture and beyond the homework.  The best thing to help your progression will be learning how you learn.  I watched a lot of YouTube tutorials prior to starting new languages, frameworks or libraries to get familiar.  Reading documentation is also extremely helpful and underrated.  You will more than likely be overwhelmed at the beginning and at additional points.

Once you start learning, you get exposed to an exponential amount of computer science disciplines.  This isn’t new information if you have been reading up on attending a bootcamp, but I want to make it clear there will be stress involved.  The staff and teaching assistances will help you understand the material, not just complete it, and will answer all your questions.  The bootcamp is still working 100% remote due to COVID-19 restrictions and safety.  Therefore, you need to make sure you ask questions.  The program sets you up for success with an excellent curriculum, which is not limited to development.  It also includes internships, job placement assistance, resume assistance, budget management, investment strategies and one-on-one mentorship.  These are all great benefits if you take advantage of them.  Find your motivator and hold to it throughout the program.  If you do that, Code Platoon will help you with the rest to start a rewarding career in software development.

It took me nearly six months to get placed after regular applications and interviews.  They will attempt to find a career for you in your area with the help of Rich and the Chicago staff.  They consistently work with you to work on interviews, resumes, networking and introductions to potential employers.  The bootcamp does not end when you graduate, and they support you to remain on task. I could not state enough how helpful it is to have someone keeping you on track and motivated, especially in this current economic climate.  The strategies we developed together, and the consistent communication were crucial for my successful placement at an excellent company in the Boston area.
  • Chase Thorpe • Front End Software Engineer • Graduate
    After doing network security for a number of years in the Navy, I was ready to rejoin civilian life and knew that I wanted to get into software engineering. I started researching various programs and bootcamps that I could take part in through the DoD Skillbridge program. Code Platoon was hands down the only choice for me after looking at probably 7 or 8 different programs. This program is 100% catered to veterans, by veterans and you can really tell from start to finish. I just want to highlight a couple of my experiences, starting with the initial application, to the the course content itself, and finally, to the post graduation support.

Every single person at Code Platoon goes out of their way to make you feel informed about what you are getting into. I never once felt like I was being sold a product or being duped into signing up. My first few phone calls were with the Executive Director and he went out of his way to answer all my questions and to be available even though we were multiple time zones away from each other. Code Platoon is not a program that is out to get your money. They offer a number of attendance and scholarship models and if you take part in the DoD Skillbridge program, they offer a full scholarship to the remote program. This ended up saving me a significant amount of money. One key highlight on this aspect is how they responded to the Covid situation. I was initially supposed to take part in the "in person" program (this confers certain benefits not available to "remote" students such as in person workshops, an internship program, etc) which is not 100% funded by Skillbridge scholarship. However, due to Covid we were forced to go remote for the duration of the course and this made travelling to Chicago impossible. Code Platoon could have easily continued to hold me in an "In Person" status and charge me the money that I would have had to pay, but they didnt and I didn't even have to ask. The Director called me, and said due to the situation I was welcome to change my status to "remote" if I wanted in order to save me some money. I was so impressed by this level of integrity from a business.

So on to the course content, is it any good? Upon starting Code Platoon, I already had a degree in Software Development and was primarily using the course for more hands on and practical experience. I can honestly say that this is some of the best instruction you can get and rivaled or topped many of my classes in college. The curriculum is designed to get you proficient with the most relevant and in demand technologies in Web Development and by the end, you are building full stack web applications with multiple programming languages and frameworks. One small thing to point out here is: the bootcamp is fast paced and there is a lot to cover (llike every bootcamp will be) so while you do get a ton of hands on practice building apps and will feel comfortable building by the end, not a ton of time is spent understanding theory and computer science concepts(this is not going to get you a degree in computer science). However, this is not a critique of Code Platoon specifically, but of the bootcamp model in general. You get a lot of the "how", but I wish students got a bit more of the "why" as well. That aside, by the end of the program you will absolutely be ready to accept a junior developer role. While the pace and intensity is very high, one thing I liked about the instructors was that they never made you feel like you were slowing them down or wasting their time. Even though there's a ton of content to get through, they always made sure to pause for questions, and would flesh out anything that wasn't making sense and if necessary, would spend time with you offline or after hours making sure you got through whatever you were stuck on. I really can't say enough about how great and patient all of the instructors were.

Finally, I wanted to say a couple of things about career prep and post graduation resources. Throughout the course, many many hours are spent not just teaching you the technical skills, but preparing you for all of the things outside of coding (resume building, LinkedIn presence/networking, interview practice, job hunting, etc.). You get a ton of practice answering typical interview questions as well as technical whiteboarding questions. You do this both privately and in front of the class which really helps shake off the nerves and performance anxiety that comes with interviews. They also bring in industry professionals to do both technical and non technical workshops to give you different perspectives on various aspects of the industry. This is long enough now so I'll just finish by saying that Code Platoon was an incredible experience and I have already landed my first job as a software engineer, largely thanks to the skills I gained through this course.

Code Platoon Outcomes

100% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 0% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 9 graduates included in report:

100% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Code Platoon CIRR Report here.