burlington-code-academy-logo

Burlington Code Academy

Burlington

Burlington Code Academy

Burlington Code Academy offers full-time and part-time web development bootcamps in Burlington, Vermont. In the full-time bootcamp, students will learn languages and frameworks including HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, Bootstrap, React, and JQuery, be prepared to work in a real development environment and be provided career support throughout the course. This program includes one-on-one mentoring, a curriculum focused on in-demand skills, portfolio and career development, and connections to the tech community. The Javascript After Hours course is part-time and covers beginner/intermediate Javascript concepts.

No prior experience is needed to attend, but applicants must have dedication. To apply, prospective students will need to submit an inquiry online, speak with admissions staff, complete a logical assessment, and pass a technical interview.

Burlington Code Academy has a network of teachers, partners, and industry professionals who will assist students every step of the way. The school is also committed to helping accepted students attend by offering tuition discounts, diversity scholarships, and an abundance of helpful resources to help finance this education.

Recent Burlington Code Academy Reviews: Rating 4.9

all (10) reviews for Burlington Code Academy →

Recent Burlington Code Academy News

• JavaScript After Hours (Part-Time)

HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    LocationBurlington
    JavaScript After Hours is a 10-week, part-time course hosted during the evening. This course is intended for beginners who want to learn programming fundamentals using JavaScript or for developers that want to add this in-demand language to their skillset. Each week you will learn a new concept that guides you through the basics of JavaScript programming into an intermediate level. Along the way, you will be working through mini-projects of increasing complexity as you advance into your final project: a fully functioning web application. MODULE 1 - INTRO TO JAVASCRIPT We start with the very basics -- What is a computer? What is a terminal? What is a variable? -- and work up to command-line basics. Learn Fundamental coding concepts and understanding JavaScript syntax, values, and variables. MODULE 2 - INTERMEDIATE JAVASCRIPT Take your knowledge of the JavaScript programming language and apply it to interactive application design. Build a functioning web application using specific guidelines for your project. MODULE 3 - FINAL PROJECTS Secure your foundation with topics such as Node.js, API integration, and object-oriented programming. Begin your final project and solidify concepts by applying what you learn to real-world problems Burlington Code Academy is committed to helping accepted students attend by offering tuition discounts, diversity scholarships, grant opportunities, and an abundance of helpful resources to help students finance their education.
    Loan option available via SkillsFund

Scholarships are available for this part-time course.

Grant opportunities available through VSAC and the Vermont Dept of Labor.
    Tuition PlansPay deposit to reserve seat, pay remaining tuition during first week of instruction. Attending a part-time course allows students to subtract $4,000 off of a full-time bootcamp if they wish to continue their education. (See Pathways Scholarship).
    Refund / Guarantee- 100% tuition refund 30 Days Before Class; - 50% tuition refund during week 1; - 25% tuition refund during week 2; *Deposit is non-refundable.
    Scholarshiphttps://www.burlingtoncodeacademy.com/scholarships/
    Minimum Skill LevelBeginner (little-to-no expereince)
  • Web Development Bootcamp

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, User Experience Design, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Agile
    Start Date February 3, 2020
    LocationBurlington
    Our Web Development Bootcamp is a proven path to becoming a software developer. We are committed to teaching students not only how to code, but how to think like a programmer, emphasizing the social aspects of coding and how to work on a team. Individual and team-based projects prepare you to work in a real development environment and your capstone project will be sponsored by a real, local client. With a focus on outcomes and job placement, Burlington Code Academy has a network of teachers, partners, and industry professionals who assist students every step of their way to a new career. Students in the Web Development Bootcamp receive career coaching, one-on-one mentoring, professional development training, and connections to employers and hiring partners. MODULE 1: PROGRAMMING FUNDAMENTALS In the first few weeks you will learn the basics of web design, user experience, and front-end web development using HTML, CSS, Bootstrap and Javascript. You will also learn how to work with terminal commands, GitHub, text editors, and take a deep dive into programming with JavaScript. MODULE 2: SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT The middle of the course will teach you the software development concepts and practices used in the industry; you will become familiar and comfortable with building full-stack web applications. This unit focuses on back-end software development and will teach you how to work with databases and API’s.. MODULE 3: CAPSTONE PROJECT This is where you will build, think, and work in a real development environment. The final project will be developed with a team of your peers and will provide an in-depth understanding of DevOps, how to work in an Agile project cycle, and refine the skills that you learned in class as well as a chance to explore the technologies that you are interested in pursuing post-graduation. Burlington Code Academy is committed to helping accepted students attend by offering tuition discounts, diversity scholarships, grant opportunities, and an abundance of helpful resources to help students finance their education.
    Deposit1990
    Loans - Finance for as low as $330/month with SkillsFund

Pay After You're Hired - BCA Income Share Agreement

Grant opportunities are available through VSAC & the Vermont Department of Labor.
    Scholarshiphttps://www.burlingtoncodeacademy.com/scholarships/
    Minimum Skill LevelBeginner (little-to-no expereince)
    February 3, 2020 - Burlington Apply by January 24, 2020

• $500 Burlington Code Academy Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Burlington Code Academy scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Web Development Bootcamp (Burlington)

• Bob Stauss • Junior Web Developer • Graduate

The Burlington Code Academy was a great experiencce for me.  After years of worikng in restaurants, and living the ski-bum lifestyle I was ready to find a job that would actually engagae me intellectually, and wouldn't crush my soul.  Unfortunatlly my double major in religious studies, and fine art didn't exactly leave me with alot of employment opportunities without first going back to school for a graduate degree.  While wandering around the internet in search of an alternative I stumbled across BCA. I was a little wary of draining my savings, and giving up working for three months to learn a skill set that I had no prior knowledge of with no gauruntee of a job on the otherside.  Despite my reservations I took a chance, applied, and got accepted. The course was great.  At some points I felt like my brain was going to explode because I was learning so many new things, but htat's exactly what I was looking for.  This course is very intense; you're going to be in class 40hrs/week with probably another 10-20hrs of work and reading outside of class, but at the end you come out with all the skills you need to build a full stack web app using a variety of technologies.  Josh Burke (the lead instructor) is great.  He has a deep knowledge of programming, experience working in the field both as a freelancer, and in a corporate setting, and he has tons of extra resources he's more than will ing to share on a variety of topics. Don't feel like you need a background in computer science, or programming to apply for this course.  All you need is a desire to learn, and a critical mind.  A love of logic puzzles doesn't hurt either, as I've found the closest parallel to programming is not mathematics (as I thought before starting this course) but logic puzzles.

• Connor  User Photo
    Connor • Developer and Account Coordinator • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

It was about this time last year when I first heard about the Burlington Code Academy (BCA). After making the decision to leave an industry and career that wasn’t for me, I signed up for the part time class that BCA offers. I then continued on to take the web dev bootcamp, that following summer. And to cut to the chase, I graduated from BCA’s program in late August 2019 and landed a full time salaried position at a local web development agency less than a month later. A job I wouldn’t have been qualified for, just 8 months prior.

What Burlington Code Academy Does Well:

• Exceptional Instructors and TA’s who are willing to go the extra mile.

• The founders of the school are both highly motivated to see you succeed and will also go the extra mile to see that happen.

• Giving students a strong foundational understanding of coding.

• Classes are well structured with Lectures, Labs, and Projects.

• Listening and responding to student input.

• The courses teach relevant technologies that are being used by today’s tech companies.

• Connecting you with local employers and tech leaders.

• The Capstone Project and final presentation were great real-world experiences.

What Burlington Code Academy Could Improve Upon:

• Prior to class beginning, communicating the commitment that is necessary to succeed.

• As a class going over higher-level solutions to projects and labs. Exposure to advanced solutions helped me improve my problem solving skills.

• At the end of the bootcamp more time should be spent on coding and less on the tangential material that is meant to broaden our horizons. I enjoyed it, but with the condensed schedule it ate into too much capstone project time.

• More movie nights ;)

All in all, Burlington Code Academy delivered on their promise to teach me how to code, and enable me to change career paths, in a very short time. It was quite the undertaking and requires a full commitment from you as the student. However, if you put your head down and focus, BCA will lead you to success. I owe them a big thank you wouldn’t be where I am without them.

• Gabe  User Photo
    Gabe Verified via LinkedIn

I think with this program, you really get what you put into it. This bootcamp gives you the tools to learn more about whatever you want on your own, get a job as a junior developer, or do some freelance work.

The thing I liked most about BCA was their focus on projects. Every week you work either in a team of two or on your own to create an app or program. In the beginning, you're just creating command line apps, but eventually you make web apps that run in browsers. This makes the classes centered around solving problems and learning skills directly relevant and useful for creating apps.

The main thing I think the class could improve on is how class time is spent in later lectures. Sometimes an entire app would be explained all the way through without much interaction from the class or with limited demonstration of what is happening in the big picture. Early on in the class, lectures include plenty of ~15 minute "labs," which allow students to try out new skills and test their understandings. These labs occur less and less later on in the class, unfortunately.

I think perhaps this could be fixed by focusing each lecture on a narrow and specific individual skill or way of solving a problem, along with an example and a way for the class to try it out on their own. Alternatively, projects could take up more and more of the week as the class goes on, and lectures could be specifically centered around getting the class started on certain parts of their apps.

That being said, I think that BCA will rapidly improve and be able to fit more and more material into their already fairly comprehensive curriculum. These bootcamps are very new and people are still learning the best methodoligies around teaching them. If you want to learn to code in a short amount of time with a great group of people and avoid the headaches of figuring everything out on your own, this is the best option.

• Missy Westland • Technical Consultant • Graduate

I’m really excited about what BCA is doing in the community and for its students. Personally, the class helped me advance towards a more technical role in my current position. The school has created a support network for its students and also engages the local development community in order to support events and programs that help advance technical careers in Vermont. I think they’re doing great things, and I think that a class with them is time well spent.

- 11/4/2019
    Jake • IT Specialist • Graduate

I had a wondeful and eye opening experience at Burlington Code Academy. The education was fast paced and immersive, much like the industry that I was being prepared for. There were definite moments of doubt, but the intructing team encouraged me to see the problem solver in myself and never gave up on me. The course opened up a new world of understanding to me in both software and internet that I would not have been able to achieve in such a short period of time at a regular school.

• Riley Farabaugh • SEO, CRO, & UX Consultant • Graduate

I run a search marketing agency and consult with businesses on how to drive more traffic, leads, and revenue through search engines like Google.

I went through the part-time JavaScript course with Burlington Code Academy in early 2019. The instructors were highly knowledgeable and did a great job of distilling complex subjects down into digestable lessons. The course itself was a bootcamp style introduction to programming with JavaScript.

The biggest benefits to me as a marketer and entrepreneur were:

• A deeper understanding of the technology behind Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, and event/conversion tracking
    • The opportunity to network and build relationships with other people in the local tech scene
    • A 100-level introduction to the command line, git protocol, and programming concepts like loops and conditionals
    • The opportunity to communicate with talented and experienced developers (the instructors) and learn how they approach complex problems

I'd recommend the course to digital marketers looking to expand their skillsets, professionals looking to switch careers or dip their toes into the world of web development, or novice developers looking to build their skills and project portfolios and ultimately pursue a career as a software engineer.

I am happy to provide further details of my experience as a student in the Burlington Code Academy course. You can reach out to me through my website at https://rileyfarabaugh.com.

• Jake D. • Enterprise Architect • Graduate

I had a legal career I was proud of but I wanted to take my passion for technology further. Not only did I learn what I needed to learn to get a great job as an Enterprise Architect with the State, I became part of a community that I continue to grow in.

• Connor

Having no college degree made it tricky for me to find fulfilling employment with a comfortable paycheck. Once I was hired by a tech company in Burlington for a frontline support position, I began to familiarize myself with the basics of HTML and CSS. Over time, the curiosity turned into a drive to learn as much as I could in order to excel in my role.

Once I began to grasp the basic concepts, I found myself messing about in the Chrome Developer Tools to tweak and manipulate websites--which was not only fun, but allowed me to be a more efficient employee in my tech support position.

I made the decision to jump into the world of programming and enroll at Burlington Code Academy shortly thereafter.

As other reviewers have mentioned, this course is exactly what it describes itself to be: a boot-camp. The 9-5, Monday - Friday schedule is a crash course and mentally demanding--especially so for folks unfamiliar with beginner-level computer operation and understanding. Coming in with some experience, I still found the course very challenging at times. But that's not to say it wasn't rewarding. I discovered a passion for programming and since graduating (2 months ago at the time of this review) I still write code everyday.

The instructor team is top-notch and are willing to go the extra mile and a half for students. The team wants you to succeed and you can feel that.

• Boris • Student

In the summer of 2019 I attended BCA's Web Development Bootcamp. Prior to the class we were given some online work to be completed and a list of all the software we would be using throughout the course with detailed guides on how to install then. Because of this pre-course work I felt more prepared to absorb information being taught to us in the first few weeks of class and it was very helpful.

The lead instructor and teaching assistants are very knowledgable. They take their time answering all questions and absolutely go above and beyond to help everyone succeed in this class. I dont believe many other schools have instructors who will help you on their days off, stay late after classes and do all the countless other things they do to make themselves available for people who need extra help.

I think BCA is an amazing place to learn web development because of all the support they offer, inside and outside of the classroom.

• Full-time Course
    - 10/4/2019
    Richard • Junior Software Engineer • Graduate

First a little about my background. I had grown stagnant in my career as a scientist and didn't find fullfilment or challenge in the day-to-day work. I had been a scientist for over ten years with a masters degree in the field. I had a mortgage and a family to help support so leaving my job behind was not something I could do on a whim. I took my time to figure out what I wanted to do and to look at the careers that were available to me. Going back for another four year degree wasn't an option and, frankly, wasn't going to help me start a new career. I needed to find something that took less time and had better outcomes.

The Burlington Code Academy's (BCA) full-time course seemed to offer both. I did my research on the former graduates outcomes and spoke with Alex Horner at length about my expectations for the course - namely I wanted to commit fully to course and have a full-time job within a few months of completing the course. BCA had a career-focused curriculum. Local businesses had influenced the technologies being taught and work with a career counseler was integrated into the course. Feeling much more secure in the idea, I applied and was accepted three months before the program started.

After being accepted, I reached out to Alex for direction and was given pre-course exercises to complete. I spent time each night working through (and past) the exercises on HTML, CSS, and Javascript. This certainly helped when the course started. While BCA will teach you everything you need to know, I would strongly suggest taking your time to become familiar with HTML, CSS, and Javascript to ease the transition.

The course itself was 9am-5pm Monday through Friday and only required that we had a computer capable of running the necessary software (although I have no doubt that if this was a hurdle they would have helped me find a solution). The course started with Javascript and it set an aggressive pace. At no point did I feel overly confident or bored - which was a nice change but also quite a shock. The weeks started with three days of learning concepts through lectures and mini-labs followed by an introduction to a larger project with class time to work on it. The project based learning was fantastic! It forced me to play with and really understand the concepts. The projects also helped us to build our portfolios with meaningful work. Fair warning, the projects routinely took an additional 8 hours over the course of the weekend and sometimes longer if I was struggling with a concept. We were encouraged to discuss our issues with the other students and the instructor and teaching assistants made themselves available after class and on the weekends if we needed additional help.

I don't think a single student made it through the course without struggling with at least one project. After a long time coasting through my job this was jarring. I was invigorated by the learning but also stressed from feeling out of my element. Fortunately, my family gave me amazing support during the course so I had the time to focus on learning. I was fortunate that I didn't need to work a part-time job during the course and could spend more time on the class. Our final weeks of the course were working on projects proposed by local businesses. These capstone projects gave us exposure to local businesses and to what real projects look like. We handled client meetings, timelines, and the project scope. The course ended with a demo night where we showed off our work to the community and hiring partners. I had an informational interview lined up before the night was through.

The weeks after the course I spent time finishing my portfolio and tweaking my resume. The BCA let us know about jobs as they were being posted (or even before) and gave us contacts for businesses that we were interested in. I ended up interviewing two weeks after the course ended and had a full-time position two weeks after that!

My suggestions if you're interested in taking the course:

1. Plan ahead. Save money, recruit family and friends to help you during the course, do whatever you can to not have to split your focus.

2. You will get out what you put in. If you're motivated and want to work harder, you'll be able to and it will pay off.

3. Be ready to be stressed but remember that it's part of learning something new.

4. Avoid missing any class. I missed one day and struggled for a week and half to catch up. I can't imagine what missing mutliple days would have felt like.

5. Treat this course like it's your job. Take it seriously and it will pay off.

In the end I got exactly what I wanted out of this course. I was constantly challenged, pushed, and my effort was rewarded with a new full-time career. I left a career with masters degree making $55k and in three months (of very hard work) found a remote job making $72k for an entry level position. The course paid for itself and I've never been happier. If you reach out to BCA feel free to ask them to put you into contact with me and we can chat more.

Good luck!

Burlington Code Academy has an acceptance rate of 29%, of which 100% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Burlington Code Academy, 100% graduate. 93% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $78,250.

Matriculation Information

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

Employment Breakdown:

This chart shows the breakdown of roles for job-seeking graduates.