Burlington Code Academy
No prior experience is needed to attend, but applicants must have dedication. To apply, prospective students will need to submit an inquiry online, speak with admissions staff, complete a logical assessment, and pass a technical interview.
Burlington Code Academy has a network of teachers, partners, and industry professionals who will assist students every step of the way. The school is also committed to helping accepted students attend by offering tuition discounts, diversity scholarships, and an abundance of helpful resources to help finance this education.
Recent Burlington Code Academy Reviews: Rating 4.89
Recent Burlington Code Academy NewsRead all (14) articles about Burlington Code Academy →
Deposit 1000 FinancingLoan option available via SkillsFund
Scholarships are available for this part-time course.
Grant opportunities are available.
Tuition Plans - Pay up-front discount. - Grants and scholarships available. - Financing options. Attending a part-time course allows students to subtract $4,000 off of a full-time bootcamp if they wish to continue their education. (See Pathways Scholarship). Refund / Guarantee - 100% tuition refund 30 Days Before Class; - 50% tuition refund during week 1; - 25% tuition refund during week 2; *Deposit is non-refundable. Scholarship https://www.burlingtoncodeacademy.com/scholarships/
Minimum Skill Level Beginner (little-to-no experience) Prep Work Yes Placement Test No Interview Yes
More Start DatesOctober 04, 2021 - Online Apply by September 27, 2021
OnlineFull Time40 Hours/week12 Weeks
Deposit 1990 FinancingLoans - Finance for as low as $330/month with SkillsFund
Pay After You're Hired - BCA Income Share Agreement
Grant opportunities are available through VSAC & the Vermont Department of Labor.
Tuition Plans Pay deposit to reserve seat, pay remaining tuition during first week of instruction. Attending a part-time course allows students to subtract $4,000 off of a full-time bootcamp if they wish to continue their education. (See Pathways Scholarship). Refund / Guarantee - 100% tuition refund 30 Days Before Class; - 50% tuition refund during week 1; - 25% tuition refund during week 2; *Deposit is non-refundable. Scholarship https://www.burlingtoncodeacademy.com/scholarships/
Minimum Skill Level Beginner (little-to-no experience) Prep Work Yes Placement Test Yes Interview Yes Start Date None scheduled Cost $9,950 Class size 20 Location OnlineOur UX Design Bootcamp is a proven path to becoming a user experience designer. We are committed to teaching our students the technical practices and processes of designing digital experiences and the philosophies and methods that inform good design. In this course, you will learn both user experience (UX) design and user interface (UI) design. Starting with the fundamentals, you will quickly advance through topics of increasing complexity, applying creative problem-solving skills to design and iterating on your designs based on research. You will leave this course knowing every step of the design process, from design concepts to high-fidelity prototypes. Weeks 1-3: UX DESIGN FUNDAMENTALS Learn the foundational topics and ideas of user experience design. This is when you will develop core problem solving skills through human-centered design exercises and learn how to convey meaning through visuals. We will also introduce user research and define contextually relevant research methods and techniques through applied exercises. Weeks 4-6: USABILITY & PROTOTYPES Discover how applications and websites are constructed and learn methods to evaluate the ease of use of a product. You will start by creating an efficient information architecture model that informs your navigation and then begin sketching wireframes based on scenarios and user stories. We will also create screen flow diagrams and build paper prototypes to evaluate design interactions. Weeks 7-8: ITERATION & SYNTHESIS Learn how to set measurable performance goals and choose the tools to test them. Use test results and feedback to inform changes in design or functionality. Execute deliverable handoffs. Start your presentation outline. Craft your problem statement, goals, research findings, and solution into a compelling story. Weeks 9-12: CLIENT PROJECT Begin your final project and use design thinking to work through a real, industry problem with a local client. Develop a design solution that addresses this problem while putting the user first. The result will be a prototype with accompanying design assets as well as a robust presentation to include in your portfolio. We bring your learning experience beyond the classroom and into the real world by providing you with career support and opportunities to network with employers, work with real clients during your capstone projects, and meet experts in the field. Burlington Code Academy is committed to helping accepted students attend by offering tuition discounts, diversity scholarships, grant opportunities, and an abundance of helpful resources to help students finance their education.
Deposit $1,990 Financing
Loans - Finance for as low as $330/month with SkillsFund
Pay After You're Hired - BCA Income Share Agreement
Grant opportunities are available through VSAC & the Vermont Department of Labor.
Tuition Plans Pay deposit to reserve seat, pay remaining tuition during the first week of instruction. Attending a part-time course allows students to subtract $4,000 off of a full-time bootcamp if they wish to continue their education. (See Pathways Scholarship). Refund / Guarantee - 100% tuition refund 30 Days Before Class; - 50% tuition refund during week 1; - 25% tuition refund during week 2; *Deposit is non-refundable. Scholarship https://www.burlingtoncodeacademy.com/scholarships/
Minimum Skill Level Beginner (little-to-no experience) Prep Work Yes Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
- Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Burlington Code Academy scholarship for $500 off tuition!
EligibilityOffer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship. & This scholarship cannot be combined with other offers.
- Software Development Bootcamp (Burlington)
Burlington Code Academy Reviews
45 reviews sorted by:
- Jr. Software Developer- 3/19/2021Ben C. • Graduate • Course: Software Development Bootcamp • Campus: BurlingtonThis course is tough and rigorous but like with any good program, you get out what you put into it. The staff is extremely helpful with everything from outside-class assistance (like tutoring and group code-alongs), to job assistance after the course which is so crucial. I only wish I had more time there to soak up and cover even more material but I think the amount of knowledge you walk away with after 3 months is pretty astonishing. I would recommend this course and Burlington Code Academy in general to anyone who is looking to pursue a career in this field and is willing to put in the work.
- "Take The Next Step & Enter Your Dream Career"- 1/21/2021Django Koenig • Support Representative • Graduate • Course: Software Development Bootcamp • Campus: BurlingtonI completed the BCA Web Development Bootcamp Summer 2019. This full-time 12-week course is a ferocious program that I found invaluable. Our course was taught by the renowned, Joshua Burke (a fellow alumni of Northern Vermont University) who was fantastic and very personable. Joshua cares deeply about each students progress sincerely -- something that cannot be taught. I felt as though I could contact him day or night and he would promptly get back to me. The teacher's assistants were also top notch and brought their own ideas and different teaching methods/styles/explanations which at times helped many concepts sink in on a deeper level. The next piece of this Bootcamp puzzle was their attention to setting up students with every possible opportunity to land a great job. We had an in house career counselor that helped us develop resumes and help with mock interviews. Then there were the Lunch & Learns: a chance to meet and connect with the local tech community. I thought this was brilliant. I had no idea there was so many tech companies right here in Vermont! These L&L gave students the chance to learn all the options for jobs in the area and also make personal connections --- crucial in my opinion, to get hired locally. Lastly, there was the capstone project which was a project where students work in small teams partnering with a company, non-profit, or organization to complete a task that has been requested by the company. This is such an important project and it culminates at the close of the course by presenting each team's project in front of the local tech community. Nerve racking (lol) and incredibly gratifying. You, in a way, are pitching yourself to companies (Hey! Hire me!) by showing how you worked as a team and applied the skills you learned during BCA Bootcamp. Important: I was a full time musician that had done odd jobs for years and now I make a great wage working at Dealer.com here in Burlington. Medical, Dental, PTO, other benefits --- things I am truly super grateful for. Benny and Alex (the "founding fathers" haha) are also two superb human beings. If you meet them once, you will never forget their professionalism and caring nature. Highly recommend. That is all. Sign up today y'all!
- BCA Full Time Software Programming Bootcamp- 1/7/2021Emily Saber • Campus: OnlineI graduated from the full time software programming bootcamp course in December and had a very positive experience with the Burlington Code Academy. This program is now remote so this institution is open to people outside of the Burlington, VT area which is when I decided to jump on in! To preface, this 12-week course is very rigorous and intensive and will stretch you academically, in a good way. You are learning to be a full-stack web developer in under three months and BCA provides you with all the foundational skills you will need to do so. From the instructor and TAs being available around the clock to the hands on weekly projects and month long capstone project, you will graduate with an array of new skills under your belt and SO much hands on development experience. BCA also provides a wonderful career coach who helps tailor your resume to the developer you now are! In addition to that, they also provide "lunch and learns" where individuals from the tech industry come in and talk about what a relevant topic or what they do on the day to day. This is an amazing opportunity to network and it was through one of these discussions I learned about a company and found an employment opportunity within a month of graduating from BCA. BCA covers all the bases, you need to show up and put the hard work in!!
In summary, jump in with 100% and you will get 200% out of this course. They provide A LOT of support and it will be worth it! It is a large time and academic commitment but I highly recommend this course for anyone looking to strengthen their tech skills or career switch.
- ux design bootcamp- 1/5/2021mia • Graduate • Campus: Onlinei am a recent graduate from this program, and couldn't recommend it enough. i live in new york city, and am used to the way things come and go here, so in many ways i was really drawn to the local environment and interpersonal skills that burlington code academy provided, above all.
now that the bootcamp is over, i'm missing my classmates a lot! when i was looking at other bootcamps and speaking with my peers (in other bootcamps, like thinkful) during my time at the program, i realized i was getting a way more hands-on, one on one, interpersonal skill-building experience at bca than other programs have to offer.
bca instructor rick machanic and ta collin hadley will not give you the cookie cutter get-it-done and thats it approach - you'll have active discussion/participation in discussing your design decisions. you will also get to know how to be part of a team, and coming from an agency background, i felt that those skills were sharpened so much more during that process. if you want to do ux, you have to learn how to work with people, that's for sure. and this program will not only give you an a-z UX/UI and more (lunch and learns with great guest speakers, 1 on 1 sessions with TA and instructors, social hours, workshops) but also help you work on soft skills that will ultimately help you in life.
on the flip side, if you want a program thats more prescriptive and akin to what you did in college (guidelines, guidelines, guidelines, little discussion) then bca might be more challenging for you. there's an autonomous attitude and approach to ux going on here that helps you be a designer and not just learn what a designer does. if you're up for the challenge, you won't regret it!
that to me has been so rewarding and i'm so glad i got to do the program! thanks alex, sadie, josh, rick, collin, mateo, etienne and everyone else involved in making this bootcamp so great, and a great part of my life to date.
- Great Value!- 12/31/2020Hannah Anderson • Student • Campus: OnlineIf you are considering taking a UX bootcamp, I highly recommend Burlington Code Academy. My experience at BCA was extremely rewarding. Our instructor Rick, and TA Collin were so helpful and knowledgable. They always made themselves available as a resource and I could honestly say that about everyone at every level at BCA.
I went way out of my comfort zone joining this bootcamp and I learned and evolved so much in such a short period of time (it actually flew by). We were working with a real client on a website redesign by Week 3. It was a cool real world experience that was integral in my overall UX journey. Their support doesn't end when the class is over. In addition to providing a career coach along with your bootcamp, BCA also provides resources while you search for your next opportunity. If you are looking for a UX Bootcamp, you will not be disappointed at BCA.
- Software Development Bootcamp- 12/31/2020Andrea Valdez • Student • Campus: OnlineGreat learning experience. I have wanted to learn how to code for a while and BCA gave me the necessary guidance, tools and provided the information in a practical, logical and useful order, with each lesson building upon the previous one. This material can be difficult to learn alone if you are unsure of what to practice first and don't have projects to work on or feedback. The only thing I regret is not doing enough review before the course started.
- Challenging, but worth it- 12/17/2020Vic A. • Graduate • Campus: OnlineComing into this course with no coding experience was daunting, but you quickly realize you’re not alone. You get tons of support from teachers, classmates, and the coding community as a whole. The remote structure takes some getting used to, but once you start, the 12 weeks really fly by. There are many challenges along the way, but every obstacle overcome is a problem you now know how to solve, which is an incredibly rewarding feeling. This is the place to be if you’re looking to learn new skills to help get a career in the industry. BCA gives you the tools to succeed, combined with a support staff dedicated to helping you find that new career along the way.
- UX Design bootcamp- 9/3/2020Alex Holder • Graduate • Course: UX Design Bootcamp • Campus: BurlingtonI just completed BCA's first UX Design Bootcamp. It was an amazing experience. If you're in an appropriate time zone, you can take this bootcamp remotely. I wasn't anywhere near Burlington and I still felt connected. Their biggest strength is that the UX program is taught by Rick Machanic, who has decades of experience in this field. He owned his own web agency so he offers much more than the typical bootcamp teacher. BCA is great about gathering feedback and I'm sure they're going to improve the Bootcamp based on my program's initial feedback. They're going to solidify some of the prework, Figma lessons, and have more consistent labs that span the length of the Bootcamp. One of the highlights of the course was our capstone. They work with real clients so your portfolio has real-world experience before you're even done. Another shining star is Etienne Morris, the career coach that BCA uses. They place a high emphasis on finding a job and networking throughout your time there. The TA, Mateo Cohen, brings more experience from a visual design perspective. His feedback and design critiques were super useful and he's still helping our class out despite the Bootcamp being finished. All in all, you should definitely go to BCA if you want to become a UX Designer. I entered having only enthusiasm and left with a ton of new skills!
- Student- 4/29/2020Josh Jakab • Student • Campus: Burlington
- Awesome bootcamp experience- 12/29/2019Katie Yawney • UI Engineer • Graduate • Course: Software Development Bootcamp • Campus: Burlington
I really appreciated the positive atmosphere at Burlington Code Academy. We were encouraged to have fun, support one other, take breaks, and experiment and grow in our own way.
The instructors we had were top notch and came with lots of real-world experience as coders and coding teachers. And with the small class size, they were very accessible, so I was able to ask questions whenever I felt confused or just wanted to learn more.
The projects they designed for us were fun and challenging. Getting to work with other students through pair programming, peer code reviews, and the longer-term capstone project taught me so much because my eyes were constantly being opened to new ways of approaching a problem. It was also helpful in the job search to already have working full-stack applications in my portfolio.
I like the course’s emphasis on Agile development principles because so many companies use Agile. It made my transition to a new job in software easier because the Agile process felt familiar from my time at Burlington Code Academy.
The skills I gained at Burlington Code Academy allowed me to break into the field of web development and work every day at a job that I enjoy.
I’m really excited about what BCA is doing in the community and for its students. Personally, the class helped me advance towards a more technical role in my current position. The school has created a support network for its students and also engages the local development community in order to support events and programs that help advance technical careers in Vermont. I think they’re doing great things, and I think that a class with them is time well spent.
* These outcomes are not audited by Course Report. In some cases, data is audited by a third party.
Of the students who enroll at Burlington Code Academy, 100% graduated. 70% of graduates were job-seeking and 93% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $78,250. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 14 graduates included in this report: