Burlington Code Academy
No prior experience is needed to attend, but applicants must have dedication. To apply, prospective students will need to submit an inquiry online, speak with admissions staff, complete a logical assessment, and pass a technical interview.
Burlington Code Academy has a network of teachers, partners, and industry professionals who will assist students every step of the way. The school is also committed to helping accepted students attend by offering tuition discounts, diversity scholarships, and an abundance of helpful resources to help finance this education.
Recent Burlington Code Academy Reviews: Rating 4.89
Recent Burlington Code Academy NewsRead all (14) articles about Burlington Code Academy →
Deposit 1000 FinancingLoan option available via SkillsFund
Scholarships are available for this part-time course.
Grant opportunities are available.
Tuition Plans - Pay up-front discount. - Grants and scholarships available. - Financing options. Attending a part-time course allows students to subtract $4,000 off of a full-time bootcamp if they wish to continue their education. (See Pathways Scholarship). Refund / Guarantee - 100% tuition refund 30 Days Before Class; - 50% tuition refund during week 1; - 25% tuition refund during week 2; *Deposit is non-refundable. Scholarship https://www.burlingtoncodeacademy.com/scholarships/
Minimum Skill Level Beginner (little-to-no experience) Prep Work Yes Placement Test No Interview Yes
More Start DatesOctober 04, 2021 - Online Apply by September 27, 2021
OnlineFull Time40 Hours/week12 Weeks
Deposit 1990 FinancingLoans - Finance for as low as $330/month with SkillsFund
Pay After You're Hired - BCA Income Share Agreement
Grant opportunities are available through VSAC & the Vermont Department of Labor.
Tuition Plans Pay deposit to reserve seat, pay remaining tuition during first week of instruction. Attending a part-time course allows students to subtract $4,000 off of a full-time bootcamp if they wish to continue their education. (See Pathways Scholarship). Refund / Guarantee - 100% tuition refund 30 Days Before Class; - 50% tuition refund during week 1; - 25% tuition refund during week 2; *Deposit is non-refundable. Scholarship https://www.burlingtoncodeacademy.com/scholarships/
Minimum Skill Level Beginner (little-to-no experience) Prep Work Yes Placement Test Yes Interview Yes Start Date None scheduled Cost $9,950 Class size 20 Location OnlineOur UX Design Bootcamp is a proven path to becoming a user experience designer. We are committed to teaching our students the technical practices and processes of designing digital experiences and the philosophies and methods that inform good design. In this course, you will learn both user experience (UX) design and user interface (UI) design. Starting with the fundamentals, you will quickly advance through topics of increasing complexity, applying creative problem-solving skills to design and iterating on your designs based on research. You will leave this course knowing every step of the design process, from design concepts to high-fidelity prototypes. Weeks 1-3: UX DESIGN FUNDAMENTALS Learn the foundational topics and ideas of user experience design. This is when you will develop core problem solving skills through human-centered design exercises and learn how to convey meaning through visuals. We will also introduce user research and define contextually relevant research methods and techniques through applied exercises. Weeks 4-6: USABILITY & PROTOTYPES Discover how applications and websites are constructed and learn methods to evaluate the ease of use of a product. You will start by creating an efficient information architecture model that informs your navigation and then begin sketching wireframes based on scenarios and user stories. We will also create screen flow diagrams and build paper prototypes to evaluate design interactions. Weeks 7-8: ITERATION & SYNTHESIS Learn how to set measurable performance goals and choose the tools to test them. Use test results and feedback to inform changes in design or functionality. Execute deliverable handoffs. Start your presentation outline. Craft your problem statement, goals, research findings, and solution into a compelling story. Weeks 9-12: CLIENT PROJECT Begin your final project and use design thinking to work through a real, industry problem with a local client. Develop a design solution that addresses this problem while putting the user first. The result will be a prototype with accompanying design assets as well as a robust presentation to include in your portfolio. We bring your learning experience beyond the classroom and into the real world by providing you with career support and opportunities to network with employers, work with real clients during your capstone projects, and meet experts in the field. Burlington Code Academy is committed to helping accepted students attend by offering tuition discounts, diversity scholarships, grant opportunities, and an abundance of helpful resources to help students finance their education.
Deposit $1,990 Financing
Loans - Finance for as low as $330/month with SkillsFund
Pay After You're Hired - BCA Income Share Agreement
Grant opportunities are available through VSAC & the Vermont Department of Labor.
Tuition Plans Pay deposit to reserve seat, pay remaining tuition during the first week of instruction. Attending a part-time course allows students to subtract $4,000 off of a full-time bootcamp if they wish to continue their education. (See Pathways Scholarship). Refund / Guarantee - 100% tuition refund 30 Days Before Class; - 50% tuition refund during week 1; - 25% tuition refund during week 2; *Deposit is non-refundable. Scholarship https://www.burlingtoncodeacademy.com/scholarships/
Minimum Skill Level Beginner (little-to-no experience) Prep Work Yes Placement Test Yes Interview Yes
- Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Burlington Code Academy scholarship for $500 off tuition!
EligibilityOffer is only valid for new applicants. Applicants who have already submitted an application cannot claim this scholarship. & This scholarship cannot be combined with other offers.
- Software Development Bootcamp (Burlington)
Burlington Code Academy Reviews
45 reviews sorted by:
- Fantastic Experience- 4/24/2020Rob Mitchell • Graduate • Course: Software Development Bootcamp • Campus: Burlington • Verified via GitHubI signed up for the Software Development boot camp at the age of 42 to try to make a career transition. We started as an in-person cohort at BCA in Burlington in early February, then had to transition to remote learning about 6 weeks in due to the coronavirus distancing rules imposed by Vermont and other states. From the start, the experience was intense, very organized, and defined by the commitment of the BCA staff to our success. The TAs were available throughout the day, and instructors made time via Slack or in other ways in the evenings and through the weekend. The career transition support was excellent, with 6 career sessions plus 1-on-1 resume sessions with a professional headhunter / resume builder, as well as "lunch & learn" sessions each week with tech professionals / hiring partners. BCA also introduced us into a wide network of tech groups and alumni, who offered help, networking and support throughout.
The intro course I took at BCA gave me confidence, as well as hard skills in software development with JS. If it wasn't for this course, I can say for sure that I would not be where I am today.
BCA is a very welcoming place, and they do a great job at getting a wide 'variety' of students. Having many different type of people from different backgrounds that all had a passion to learn development in JS was very beneficial to my own learning. There was a sort of feeding off each other that I had not experienced with any other courses.
- A new career in 8 months- 11/5/2019Connor • Developer and Account Coordinator • Graduate • Course: Software Development Bootcamp • Campus: Burlington • Verified via LinkedIn
It was about this time last year when I first heard about the Burlington Code Academy (BCA). After making the decision to leave an industry and career that wasn’t for me, I signed up for the part time class that BCA offers. I then continued on to take the web dev bootcamp, that following summer. And to cut to the chase, I graduated from BCA’s program in late August 2019 and landed a full time salaried position at a local web development agency less than a month later. A job I wouldn’t have been qualified for, just 8 months prior.
What Burlington Code Academy Does Well:
Exceptional Instructors and TA’s who are willing to go the extra mile.
The founders of the school are both highly motivated to see you succeed and will also go the extra mile to see that happen.
Giving students a strong foundational understanding of coding.
Classes are well structured with Lectures, Labs, and Projects.
Listening and responding to student input.
The courses teach relevant technologies that are being used by today’s tech companies.
Connecting you with local employers and tech leaders.
The Capstone Project and final presentation were great real-world experiences.
What Burlington Code Academy Could Improve Upon:
Prior to class beginning, communicating the commitment that is necessary to succeed.
As a class going over higher-level solutions to projects and labs. Exposure to advanced solutions helped me improve my problem solving skills.
At the end of the bootcamp more time should be spent on coding and less on the tangential material that is meant to broaden our horizons. I enjoyed it, but with the condensed schedule it ate into too much capstone project time.
More movie nights ;)
All in all, Burlington Code Academy delivered on their promise to teach me how to code, and enable me to change career paths, in a very short time. It was quite the undertaking and requires a full commitment from you as the student. However, if you put your head down and focus, BCA will lead you to success. I owe them a big thank you wouldn’t be where I am without them.
- Tons of practice at all stages- 9/10/2019Gabe • Course: Software Development Bootcamp • Campus: Burlington • Verified via LinkedIn
I think with this program, you really get what you put into it. This bootcamp gives you the tools to learn more about whatever you want on your own, get a job as a junior developer, or do some freelance work.
The thing I liked most about BCA was their focus on projects. Every week you work either in a team of two or on your own to create an app or program. In the beginning, you're just creating command line apps, but eventually you make web apps that run in browsers. This makes the classes centered around solving problems and learning skills directly relevant and useful for creating apps.
The main thing I think the class could improve on is how class time is spent in later lectures. Sometimes an entire app would be explained all the way through without much interaction from the class or with limited demonstration of what is happening in the big picture. Early on in the class, lectures include plenty of ~15 minute "labs," which allow students to try out new skills and test their understandings. These labs occur less and less later on in the class, unfortunately.
I think perhaps this could be fixed by focusing each lecture on a narrow and specific individual skill or way of solving a problem, along with an example and a way for the class to try it out on their own. Alternatively, projects could take up more and more of the week as the class goes on, and lectures could be specifically centered around getting the class started on certain parts of their apps.
That being said, I think that BCA will rapidly improve and be able to fit more and more material into their already fairly comprehensive curriculum. These bootcamps are very new and people are still learning the best methodoligies around teaching them. If you want to learn to code in a short amount of time with a great group of people and avoid the headaches of figuring everything out on your own, this is the best option.
- Upright Education Bootcamp- 6/10/2022Ben Villa • Web Developer • Graduate • Course: Software Development Bootcamp • Campus: OnlineBefore I started the Upright Education(formerly Burlington Code Academy) Software Development Bootcamp, I knew nothing about coding. Honestly, I wouldn’t have said I was good at using computers in general. I had a few close friends suggest I might be a good engineer and that I should look into it. I was ready for a career change and enrolled with Upright Education in February 2022.It was a totally new world that I stepped into but the material was exciting and every day had something new to learn. Between lectures, labs, workshops, and weekly assignments, there were various ways to absorb the material, which is helpful for people with different learning styles. I really appreciated that every week built off of the previous one, providing context for the material but also allowing more time to absorb some of the more difficult concepts.Although the pace is intense, and concepts difficult to start, the staff was always willing to help, even outside of class hours. The true value of this program is provided not by the curriculum but by the instructors, TA’s, and staff. They were seemingly infinite sources of knowledge but also really solid people who wanted everyone to succeed.I easily recommend Upright Education as the best place to start for anyone trying to get into coding as a career.
- Staff is very helpful- 3/10/2022Shadman Ahmed • Graduate • Course: Software Development Bootcamp • Campus: OnlineThe instructors and TAs here are very understanding and actually genuinely want to help you succeed when they see you struggling. Even though I was in a cohort of 10 other students I still felt like I was getting good individual attention for both my projects and job assistance.
- Great Experience, Great People- 9/27/2021Korey Witham • Graduate • Course: Software Development Bootcamp • Campus: OnlineI was one of the lucky few who got to attend the 7th installment of the Full Time Web Development course this past summer and the experience was amazing overall. The instructor and TAs are very knowledgeable and always willing to help (at a reasonable time of course) with any and all questions you may end up having about the course work. The course is definitely designed to be challenging but I never felt there was too much work for the time allotted for any given project, you just have to put your nose to the grindstone and put in an extra hour or two here and there when necessary. They have provided us with excellent resources to continue to grow from here on out and I look forward to see where my journey may go from here. Thank you BCA!
- Highly Recommend- 7/12/2021Senou Lynn • Student • Course: Software Development Bootcamp • Campus: OnlineWhen I first became unemployed I started taking free online HTML/CSS courses and quickly found I wanted more structure and challenge. In comes Burlington Code Academy. While this course is aimed towards people with experience ranging from none to some, I am glad that I had somewhat of a knowledge base going into it. It helped build upon and refine a coder's mindset with weekly assignments, labs, and lectures. Being a person who learns best through hands on projects, this course pushed us past our comfort zone forcing us to learn and retain concepts through constant reinforcement by either labs or projects. I would highly highly recommend this course to anyone who has any interest in web/software development.
- Full-Stack Software Development- 7/1/2021Adam • Student • Campus: OnlineThis Bootcamp was awesome!! The instructor and the assistants were all very helpful in the learning process and I feel the pace of the course was sufficient. If I had to change anything it would be my final coding project. Reason being, the final solution for the project did not involve any relevant areas learned throughout the course. i.e. React, or any backend frameworks(MongoDB, express, node.js). Was kind of hoping to be able to create a full-stack application, but instead we watched William make his game and my group seriously lacked in communication.
- Software Development- 6/19/2021Tristan Nelson • Customer Success Engineer • Graduate • Campus: OnlineLet me first begin this review with a huge round of applause for the entire BCA staff and Bob Stauss, the main Software Development instructor. The amount of effort they put into the course and the support provided is evident from the very beginning. Anyone who is interested in a bootcamp that will teach them the fundamentals of web development and to a lesser degree software engineering should check out Burlington Code Academy. More importantly, BCA teaches you how to consume technical documentation quickly and apply it immediately which is arguably the most valuable skill starting out in the industry.
The JS, HTML, CSS, and Server (nodeJS and Express) portion of the bootcamp are all excellent and will provide a great foundational understanding of how to build a full-stack application. My one big critique about the program and it does come with a caveat (as this is my personal experience) is that they chose to teach a NoSQL database called MongoDB instead of SQL. After graduating from the program and applying and interviewing for jobs as a software/web developer I overwhelmingly saw the need to understand SQL. Almost every job I applied to required SQL or a basic understanding of SQL. Every now and then I saw MongoDB/NoSQL but it was few and far between and usually also listed SQL along side it. I am not sure what the reasoning behind pushing a NoSQL curriculum (perhaps because the db using an object like data architecture which is familiar to someone learning JS) but I highly recommend for anyone looking to become a full-stack developer to learn the basics of SQL.
To close out my review, I highly recommend BCA as a bootcamp because you will get exactly what you pay for and access to such an amazing alumni network! The staff and instructors are great. My one big critique is mostly tied to my own anecdotal experiences applying for jobs after graduating and I am sure everyone has their own opinion. With that said its a top program and I came into with very little technical background and landed a job in the industry within a month after graduation. I am thankful for everything BCA has provided and hope they continue to grow!
APPLY to BCA - you will not regret it, I sure didn't.
- UX Design Bootcamp- 5/17/2021Morgan Matthews • GraduateHaving dabbled with the idea of a much needed career change for the last couple of years, I decided at the start 2021 to finally take the leap. Enrolling in Burlington Code Academy’s UX program turned out to be one of the best decisions I have made to date. I previously completed a 4-year degree at Parsons, and had some concerns over whether or not a 12 week program would provide a level of preparedness to successfully embark in a new field. Now that I have completed the UX program at BCA, I can confidently say that I feel more than prepared for new opportunities. I would highly recommend the program to anyone interested in UX or UI.It's incredibly unique how the course is specifically tailored to the students taking it, regardless of their background. Throughout the 12-weeks (and beyond) it is clear that our instructor Rick, and all of the BCA staff were truly there to support student success. With thorough daily lessons and UI challenges/ critiques, we were provided with a strong backbone to aid in our 9-week Capstone project. For our project I worked in a team of 6, to design from scratch a financial literacy iOS app for an awesome client. Working with a real client and gaining legitimate UX experience to add to my new CV was invaluable. The bootcamp offered a really fantastic balance of allowing our team independence and the opportunity to problem solve- while also having assistance available where needed. In a short amount of time, I think it is pretty remarkable what I and my team achieved and I am proud to showcase my work as I begin my career search. The course was certainly intensive and not without its challenges, but in the end more than worth the time, effort and cost.
* These outcomes are not audited by Course Report. In some cases, data is audited by a third party.
Of the students who enroll at Burlington Code Academy, 100% graduated. 70% of graduates were job-seeking and 93% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $78,250. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 14 graduates included in this report: