burlington-code-academy-logo

Burlington Code Academy

Burlington Code Academy

Burlington Code Academy offers online full-time and part-time web development and UX design bootcamps. In the web development bootcamp, students will learn languages and frameworks including HTML5, CSS3, JavaScript, Bootstrap, React, and JQuery, be prepared to work in a real development environment and be provided career support throughout the course. This program includes one-on-one mentoring, a curriculum focused on in-demand skills, portfolio and career development, and connections to the tech community. The Javascript After Hours course is part-time and covers beginner/intermediate Javascript concepts. In the UX design bootcamps, students learn technical practices and processes of designing digital experiences, and work with a real company on a capstone project.

No prior experience is needed to attend, but applicants must have dedication. To apply, prospective students will need to submit an inquiry online, speak with admissions staff, complete a logical assessment, and pass a technical interview.

Burlington Code Academy has a network of teachers, partners, and industry professionals who will assist students every step of the way. The school is also committed to helping accepted students attend by offering tuition discounts, diversity scholarships, and an abundance of helpful resources to help finance this education.

Recent Burlington Code Academy Reviews: Rating 4.89

all (38) reviews for Burlington Code Academy →

Recent Burlington Code Academy News

Read all (9) articles about Burlington Code Academy →
  • JavaScript After Hours (Part-Time)

HTML, JavaScript, jQuery, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End
    Location-
    JavaScript After Hours is a 10-week, part-time course hosted during the evening. This course is intended for beginners who want to learn programming fundamentals using JavaScript or for developers that want to add this in-demand language to their skillset. Each week you will learn a new concept that guides you through the basics of JavaScript programming into an intermediate level. Along the way, you will be working through mini-projects of increasing complexity as you advance into your final project: a fully functioning web application. MODULE 1 - INTRO TO JAVASCRIPT We start with the very basics -- What is a computer? What is a terminal? What is a variable? -- and work up to command-line basics. Learn Fundamental coding concepts and understanding JavaScript syntax, values, and variables. MODULE 2 - INTERMEDIATE JAVASCRIPT Take your knowledge of the JavaScript programming language and apply it to interactive application design. Build a functioning web application using specific guidelines for your project. MODULE 3 - FINAL PROJECTS Secure your foundation with topics such as Node.js, API integration, and object-oriented programming. Begin your final project and solidify concepts by applying what you learn to real-world problems Burlington Code Academy is committed to helping accepted students attend by offering tuition discounts, diversity scholarships, grant opportunities, and an abundance of helpful resources to help students finance their education.
    Loan option available via SkillsFund

Scholarships are available for this part-time course.

Grant opportunities available through VSAC and the Vermont Dept of Labor.
    Tuition PlansPay deposit to reserve seat, pay remaining tuition during first week of instruction. Attending a part-time course allows students to subtract $4,000 off of a full-time bootcamp if they wish to continue their education. (See Pathways Scholarship).
    Refund / Guarantee- 100% tuition refund 30 Days Before Class; - 50% tuition refund during week 1; - 25% tuition refund during week 2; *Deposit is non-refundable.
  • UX Design Bootcamp

Design, User Experience Design
    Location-
    Our UX Design Bootcamp is a proven path to becoming a user experience designer. We are committed to teaching our students the technical practices and processes of designing digital experiences and the philosophies and methods that inform good design. In this course, you will learn both user experience (UX) design and user interface (UI) design. Starting with the fundamentals, you will quickly advance through topics of increasing complexity, applying creative problem-solving skills to design and iterating on your designs based on research. You will leave this course knowing every step of the design process, from design concepts to high-fidelity prototypes. Weeks 1-3: UX DESIGN FUNDAMENTALS Learn the foundational topics and ideas of user experience design. This is when you will develop core problem solving skills through human-centered design exercises and learn how to convey meaning through visuals. We will also introduce user research and define contextually relevant research methods and techniques through applied exercises. Weeks 4-6: USABILITY & PROTOTYPES Discover how applications and websites are constructed and learn methods to evaluate the ease of use of a product. You will start by creating an efficient information architecture model that informs your navigation and then begin sketching wireframes based on scenarios and user stories. We will also create screen flow diagrams and build paper prototypes to evaluate design interactions. Weeks 7-8: ITERATION & SYNTHESIS Learn how to set measurable performance goals and choose the tools to test them. Use test results and feedback to inform changes in design or functionality. Execute deliverable handoffs. Start your presentation outline. Craft your problem statement, goals, research findings, and solution into a compelling story. Weeks 9-12: CLIENT PROJECT Begin your final project and use design thinking to work through a real, industry problem with a local client. Develop a design solution that addresses this problem while putting the user first. The result will be a prototype with accompanying design assets as well as a robust presentation to include in your portfolio. We bring your learning experience beyond the classroom and into the real world by providing you with career support and opportunities to network with employers, work with real clients during your capstone projects, and meet experts in the field. Burlington Code Academy is committed to helping accepted students attend by offering tuition discounts, diversity scholarships, grant opportunities, and an abundance of helpful resources to help students finance their education.
    Deposit$1,990

Loans - Finance for as low as $330/month with SkillsFund

Pay After You're Hired - BCA Income Share Agreement

Grant opportunities are available through VSAC & the Vermont Department of Labor.
    Tuition PlansPay deposit to reserve seat, pay remaining tuition during the first week of instruction. Attending a part-time course allows students to subtract $4,000 off of a full-time bootcamp if they wish to continue their education. (See Pathways Scholarship).
  • Web Development Bootcamp

MongoDB, HTML, Git, JavaScript, jQuery, User Experience Design, CSS, React.js, Node.js, Front End, Agile
    Location-
    Our Web Development Bootcamp is a proven path to becoming a software developer. We are committed to teaching students not only how to code, but how to think like a programmer, emphasizing the social aspects of coding and how to work on a team. Individual and team-based projects prepare you to work in a real development environment and your capstone project will be sponsored by a real, local client. With a focus on outcomes and job placement, Burlington Code Academy has a network of teachers, partners, and industry professionals who assist students every step of their way to a new career. Students in the Web Development Bootcamp receive career coaching, one-on-one mentoring, professional development training, and connections to employers and hiring partners. MODULE 1: PROGRAMMING FUNDAMENTALS In the first few weeks you will learn the basics of web design, user experience, and front-end web development using HTML, CSS, Bootstrap and Javascript. You will also learn how to work with terminal commands, GitHub, text editors, and take a deep dive into programming with JavaScript. MODULE 2: SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT The middle of the course will teach you the software development concepts and practices used in the industry; you will become familiar and comfortable with building full-stack web applications. This unit focuses on back-end software development and will teach you how to work with databases and API’s.. MODULE 3: CAPSTONE PROJECT This is where you will build, think, and work in a real development environment. The final project will be developed with a team of your peers and will provide an in-depth understanding of DevOps, how to work in an Agile project cycle, and refine the skills that you learned in class as well as a chance to explore the technologies that you are interested in pursuing post-graduation. Burlington Code Academy is committed to helping accepted students attend by offering tuition discounts, diversity scholarships, grant opportunities, and an abundance of helpful resources to help students finance their education.
    Deposit1990
    Loans - Finance for as low as $330/month with SkillsFund

Pay After You're Hired - BCA Income Share Agreement

• $500 Burlington Code Academy Scholarship

Course Report is excited to offer an exclusive Burlington Code Academy scholarship for $500 off tuition!

• Web Development Bootcamp (Burlington)
  • Amazing Experience
    - 4/19/2021
    Cortney Logan  User Photo
    Cortney Logan • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I had always been interested in programming and had been trying to break into the industry on my own without success. I had heard about BCA from a friend and with the online course offering was fortunate enough to attend. The course was challenging and pushed the cohort to learn a lot in a short amount of time, but weekly projects helped solidify the lessons from the week and set benchmarks of what we'd learned. Bob, our instructor, was amazing and kept us moving at a steady pace while keeping (online) class engaging and interesting. The support we have received through career workshops and 1on1 meetings has been invaluable and will help me for many years to come. I highly recommend BCAs Software Development Bootcamp!
  • Eric LaMontagne  User Photo
    Eric LaMontagne • Web Strategist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I came to BCA after deciding to take a leap into the tech sector following a decade in non-profit advocacy and leadership. The staff was very understanding of my apprehensions coming into an entirely new field and very supportive in helping me identify transferable skills.

Throughout the course, instructors and staff would always make themselves available to go over questions and provide additional guidance. That said, be prepared to work - you definitely get out what you put in. For me, this meant 3-4 hours of work per day outside of class, as well as 10 or more hours on the weekends. It paid off though  - within two months of finishing the class I landed a great job at an amazing local company earning more than twice my previous total compensation.
  • Emily Reynolds  User Photo
    Emily Reynolds • Customer Support Specialist • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Wanted to leave a positive, but balanced review. Burlington Code Academy is great to learn the basics of coding. The curriculum is really good, though not very theoretical. I recommend going further in your education to learn theory (I'm getting my masters in Software Engineering). This is a really good way to test if you have a knack for coding and enjoy it. Bob is great! The career team is wonderful. I would say they promise a little high, if you are a woman especially, you won't come out of the bootcamp with an immediate job for 60k, but you will be able to break into the field. Also, the alumni network is super helpful.
  • Nick Castle  User Photo
    Nick Castle • Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    After graduating from college with a Computer Science degree, I struggled to find a job in my field. In college there never seemed to be one focus, one thing that I continued to build upon and get better and better at. About 6 months later I came across Burlington Code Academy, signed up for the course and got going. It wasn't until taking the bootcamp that I truly found my passion for coding and development.

The team was extremely welcoming, supportive and knowledgable. If I needed any support, there was always someone there to help immediately, be it the instructor of my course, or a teaching assistant. If I had any issues outside of code, everyone was always understanding and willing to help in any way possible. I can't forget to mention the really great career coach that helps everyone revise their resumes, prepare for the job search, helps with negotiating strategies, cover letters, etc. It was a really amazing experience that I will never forget and I came out of it with the skills to actually land a job in software development. I also came out on the other side with a few things that I didn't entirely expect, like new friends, connections, and some good laughs.

Even coming from having a Computer Science background, I still found the bootcamp extremely beneficial. This is a course for anyone who wants to learn how to code in an efficient manner and is willing to put in the time, effort, and sometime struggles to get the results.
  • Paul Phelps  User Photo
    Paul Phelps • Technical Writer, Software Development • Student Verified via GitHub
    Burlington Code Academy helped me do what I thought was literally impossible. After growing increasingly disenfranchised with my previous manual labor job of 5 years, I finally made the decision to change. One phone call with Alex and I knew right away that this is what I wanted to do.

The entire time through the program, I felt encouraged and valued for my input. The pace is great, the instructors are great, the staff is great. If you're tired of your current career, Burlington Code Academy is the best alternative. Thanks BCA!
  • Krista Harder  User Photo
    Krista Harder • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I just graduated from the UX design bootcamp at Burlington Code Academy, and it’s incredible to think how much I’ve learned over the course of this program. I came into this with an English degree, some administrative experience, and virtually no knowledge of UX, and now I feel confident as I begin my job search as a UX designer.

Rick Machanic, the teacher of the program, is amazing. As someone who has been in the field of UX for over 20 years and started his own successful design agency, he brought invaluable insight into the mind of a hiring manager and a vast knowledge of the UX process. He always went above and beyond for us, whether that meant offering mock interviews or giving detailed feedback on our work. We also had Collin Hadley, our incredible TA, who constantly pushed us and inspired us. He hosted evening workshops to teach us more about Figma, the design software that we used, and other UX topics.

The best part of this program was the 9-week capstone project, which allowed us to work on a real project with a real client. We worked in teams of 4 to redesign our clients’ websites, culminating in a capstone presentation of the full process. This experience was invaluable because it forced us to figure things out as we went along (with helpful guidance from Rick and Collin, of course!). It gave us experience in every step of the design process, from research to mockups, and exponentially increased our skills in Figma. It also provided great practice for soft skills like teamwork, presenting, and working together remotely; while I was a bit nervous about the remote aspect at first, I ended up really enjoying it, and it was a great way to explore different online collaborative tools like Invision.

On top of the capstone project, we also had daily lessons, worked on our personal websites, and redesigned an app. Every Thursday, we had a Lunch and Learn speaker who talked to us about their experiences in the field and answered our questions. We also gained access to a network of BCA alumni. We were only the second cohort of this program, so there’s still some room for improvement in terms of the structure of the course, but BCA constantly asked for our feedback so that each new cohort will be even better than the one before it.

I learned so much in such a short amount of time and I’m so, so grateful to BCA for giving me this opportunity to enter this exciting and growing field. Before this, I felt so stuck in my career path, but now I have so many more opportunities and I can’t wait to start applying.

• Anthony Figueroa  User Photo
    Anthony Figueroa • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I can't recommend this course enough to people either interested in UX/UI or looking for a career change. Everything about this experience was incredible. Not only do you get tons of help and aid throughout the course, but the end project is an actual job that has you walking away with actual work experience. Of course, the best part of the course is the instructor - Rick Machanic. He's genuinely and profoundly interested in getting people into and prepared for this industry. That being said, it is definitely a bootcamp - meaning it ramps up to be pretty intense near the end. However, no matter how rough or stressful it gets, you have access to constant aid and feedback from Rick and the TA Collin Hadley. You can start from knowing absolutely nothing about UX and you will end up with work experience under your belt, and a vast array of tools, people, and advice to aid you in the job search. This course essentially changed the trajectory of my life, so I can't say enough good things about it.
  • Sara Ritter  User Photo
    Sara Ritter • Chemist and Full Stack Web Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Applying for admission with BCA and completing their 12 week bootcamp was one of the best professional decisions I have ever made. It took almost two years for me to be able to make the transition to leave my current career even temporarily, and make the family time work to be able to complete the course. Once I was admitted to the program the leadership kept me informed and welcomed me into whatever course I was able to attend. I was able to complete this spring 2020 bootcamp, which was a challenge for everyone since we needed to move from an in-person format to completely online. Our instructor and director of education made the transition as pain free as it could have been, with extra hours dedicated for teaching assistance and learning extra skills needed to work and collaborate remotely. It is hard and feels painful at times, but you will be so proud of what you can accomplish.  Burlington Code Academy is committed to building a foundation of new developers with the skills and best practices to move forward and I encourage anyone making the decision to go for it!
  • Josh Downs  User Photo
    Josh Downs • Web Developer / TA • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    As a career changer, jumping into a course like this was a bit scary, and definitely a huge risk.  Quitting my job, dropping a decent sum of money, and not working for three months is a big ask when you have kids, but the folks over at BCA were always there to help, and figure out ways to make it happen.  They have been incredibly supportive of me from the beginning, and even now, two weeks out of the course being over they are still working with everyone to find jobs, continue learning, or just chat if the need presents itself.  The course was fast paced, challenging, and loaded with information.  I really enjoyed the projects we covered, and I felt like they solidified a lot of the concepts we were learning in the course.  This was especially apparent with the capstone project.  Being able to work with real world clients on real problems was huge, and gave me a solid footing when jumping into this new career path.  I can't express how happy I am that I took this course, and would recommend it over and over again!
  • Brook  User Photo
    Brook • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I am a very non-traditional coder.  Think female and old enough to be most coders mom's best friend.  I wanted to move into a job that offered more pay and more flexibility.  I looked at a variety of online and out of state options but settled on BCA for a couple of reasons. 1. I know people who went through the course and have found work they like. 2. After talking with Alex, BCA's COO, about ageism and sexism in the tech I was reassured that they have also been thinking about these things and working with their hiring partners to address them. 3. BCA works with both Vermont's Department of Labor and Student Assistance Corp. to help defray the cost of the course.
    They are quality through and through. Halfway through our course, coronavirus hit and we had to go online.  BCA did everything they could to make the switch as smooth as possible while keeping up the level of instruction.
    BCA is quite responsive - if you need help they can help you find help, from the instructors to the TA's  to past students who volunteer to tutor to an active "help" channel on slack, you can get answers.
    In addition to the coding, BCA contracts with a local career coach, Etienne Morris, linkedin.com/in/etiennemorris who helped us get our resumes polished, informational interviews set up and how to negotiate wtih potential employers.
    Finally, while I can't guarantee that every cohort will be filled with students as wonderful as mine was, your fellow students are inspiring.
  • Anis Memon  User Photo
    Anis Memon • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    12-week course in full-stack development (JavaScript, HTML, CSS, Express, React, MongoDB and Firebase). 9am-5pm five days a week with 8 weekend projects plus a month-long capstone project that addresses specific needs of real groups in the community.
    BCA provides an excellent foundation in JavaScript and web development, with plenty of practice in front-end and back-end design. While there is no coding prerequisite for the course, it is very rigorous and BCA highly recommends taking some time to get familiar with the three main languages they teach before joining the course. The weekend projects really help solidify the material covered, and the lengthy capstone projects, which are real projects submitted by local organizations, pull everything together in meaningful and unpredictable ways.
    The instructors and support staff are outstanding: clear, detailed, and always available to assist.
    There are weekly career workshops and exposure to local hiring partners, plus one-on-one career and resume counselling with a brilliant, caring mind in the field. The demo day at the end of the course brings in hiring partners as well as other area development organizations to see the capstone presentations and get better acquainted with each of the student teams.
    The coding foundation they provide is thorough and meaningful, but is only part of what BCA offers: their goal is to grow the local talent pool and make the community aware of how developers can help to enrich and expand the way businesses and organizations operate. BCA is about developing coders who are an integral part of the community.
    - 4/24/2020
    Lee Peters  User Photo
    Lee Peters • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    I can't say enough good things about my experience at the Burlington Code Academy. At 31 years old I decided to leave a very comfortable sales job at a great company to pursue a new career in coding and haven't looked back. The curriculum is very thorough and cutting edge with an emphasis on helping students learn highly marketable skills like React and working with APIs. BCA instructors Bob and Josh were truly invested in my cohort's success in the workforce - this was evidenced by their tireless commitment to education, we never moved on from a topic until each and every student felt comfortable with the material which is probably a rare quality in bootcamps. I was also surprised to see that BCA instructors including TAs were often available during off hours which made me feel all the more supported. Also kudos to BCA's career coaching program which was such an asset to the cohort - this included 1:1 resume workshops, weekly lunch and learns on topics like networking, and negotiation workshops. Speaking of lunch and learns, BCA stuff also went above and beyond in terms of connecting students with prospective employers - this included weekly seminars from members of the tech community as well as facilitating networking during our capstone project. Would recommend BCA without hesitation to anyone seeking to make the move to a career in coding.

Burlington Code Academy Outcomes

Of the students who enroll at Burlington Code Academy, 100% graduated. 70% of graduates were job-seeking and 93% of job-seeking graduates found in-field employment after 180 days and report a median income of $78,250. Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 14 graduates included in this report:

Full Time, In-Field Employee
Short-term contract, part-time position, freelance