bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.68

all (438) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Rolling Start Date
    Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner Skills Fund.
    $8,500 with payment plans available.
    $1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
    Interview
  • Web Developer Track

Rolling Start Date
    Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner, Skills Fund.
    $8,500 with payment plans available.
    Basic computer knowledge
    Interview

• Miguel Niblock • Intern Data Scientist • Graduate

This review is for both Thinkful and Bloc, since they are actually the same company now.

I started Thinkful's Data Science program in August 2018 and finished in May 2019. It took me 2 extra months than the scheduled 6 months, but I made it, and finished strongly. Since before enrolling, I knew I wanted a longer type of program, to really allow myself the chance to learn things in depth.

The program was very hard, but also very good. There's some rough edges in the curriculum, in which I'd like some topics to be covered more in depth, but all in all, it's actually great and very complete. Plus, after all that, you really become proficient enough to continue learning by yourself whatever you want. This just kinda helps you take off, mostly, if you've never been into the Python data science world and used all the main libraries.

The jobsearch was hard as well, but I managed to land a paid remote internship in two months, which actually was a great deal. The internship is in a data science capacity, which is great. And it was with a small company, which means a high chance of conversion to full-time. Their careers curriculum was very helpful in preparing myself in general: Resume-building, Linkedin profile, networking, applications, interview-prep. I had about 8 interviews total in that time, most of which came from my own efforts applying on various sites. Some others came through their employer partnerships. This is a key feature of Thinkful and Bloc, which sets them apart. They actually help you get interviews with some of their partners. I got two of these during that period.

Im very happy with my outcomes and would recommend Thinkful/ Bloc to anyone interested in starting a career in Data Science.

• Tyler Leroy Poore • Compliance Manager • Student

In my opinion the pros of attending bloc are the always helpful slack community and the meticulously informative support teams. I may be biased, but, the coursework for career advice and searching is incredibly invaluable.

I would say the downsides, seems I was a one off in this case, is the mentoring. In my case most of my mentors were no shows, not to mention I missed a few along the way as well, though we ended up just forfeiting mentor meetings near the end either way.

• Kacie  User Photo
    Kacie • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

I'm surprised to see that there are so many straight-up positive reviews of Bloc. I'm a graduate of the Designer program, I can say they got some things right and some things still need work. I'll start with the not-so-great. The curriculum around front end dev felt piecemeal and choppy. I had to slow down a lot during those sections to seek out other resources because their lessons were confusing. The self-paced program made it easy to get more time to slow down when I needed to.

I had different 5 mentors in the 14 months it took me to complete the program. Some gave constructive criticism but others just patted me on the head and said "good job". That was frustrating at points, however, it was very easy to change mentors when I wasn't satisfied, and I recommend changing if you're not getting what you want out of your mentor sessions.

I'm the kind of person who likes to collaborate, so I felt pretty lonely in my work for most of the time I was in Bloc. I recommend engaging as much as possible with the social channels on Slack and going to events/meetups early on to connect with other designers.

I appreciated how much emphasis there was on career prep and how much support I got in my job search. Job searching is the worst kind of boring work you'll ever have to do and it takes a lot of energy to stay motivated. My career coach was very supportive and helped me get to the point where I felt confident sending out my portfolio, resume, LinkedIn profile, etc.

I supplemented a lot of the curriculum with my own reading list. Bloc, for example, might just say "make a user survey", but not address how to approach it or what makes a good survey question. There are plenty of books and articles on the subject, so I would suggest building in some time for non-required reading and research.

UX is an emerging field that is changing all the time and Bloc is making an effort to remain flexible and change with it. I appreciate that they are really good about asking for feedback and constantly making changes to improve the program.

Overall, I would say this program is challenging and you have to bring a lot of intention, motivation, and curiosity to be successful. You will probably be frustrated with it at some points, but the people are great and it's a good value for the price point.

• SONGTING HU • Student

I heard about Bloc thru a friend. She was also studying in the designer track. I chose to enroll with Bloc because I heard it has a mentor program. Every week I can have a 30-mins online meeting with my mentor. I don't have any background with web design, so having someone to ask for help is very necessary.

Bloc also has couple slack channels where I can chat with other bloc students, see their works and leave feedback. If my mentor is not available, I can ask other mentor questions via slack.

As for the curriculum, it is well designed even if anyone has no experience with it. All the learning materials are easy to understand without tons of reading. Good for someone who doesn't have a lot of time doing reading. However, I would still suggest people read outside sources to boost your knowledge and keep you updated. All the information in each checkpoint is the very basic, important and necessary pieces that can help you to get it started.

The workload is intense. People need to treat it seriously and plan accordingly to make sure you can contribute your time and energy into learning. I fully understand that it is hard to motivate yourself to work hard every day, so make sure you set up a plan for yourself at the very beginning.

The grading team who access your checkpoint work is very responsive and professional. Although sometimes I felt frustrated to revise my work again and again, I learned a lot from them. I really appreciate the opportunity to receive feedback from different perspectives.

Overall, Bloc is a good choice if you want to start a designer job without any experience. Even though it cannot guarantee that you can 100% get a job, it gives you enough skills and insights to boost your confidence to explore in this area.

• Anonymous • ckallen12193@yahoo.com

I started in 2016 but not sure what month I started, I looked at my first Invoice and it was in November of 2016 so I know I started around that time most likely a couple months before. My review is really late and I decided today I want to write my experience because it wasn't a good one. When I started I was very excited and enjoyed it but about a month into the track, it started going down hill. First thing first is everything they teach you , you can learn on your own.  There's so much resources out there especially on Youtube or other websites that offer a FREE curriculum and courses that cost $10 to $20. The curriculum is not anything special and like I said you can learn all of this on your own. Now when I started this program I didn't know this and that is why I was enjoying at first ,  but after finding out you can learn to code for FREE or for $20 a month , that is when I felt pretty upset with myself I didn't do enough research before this. I am currently a Full Time Web Developer in Los Angeles and I learned everything from online resources and courses that are $10 to $20 so I know for a fact what I'm saying is true.  Now as for the teacher I had, he was smart but at times rude. I can't say he was the worst teacher because he did give good advice , just when you would ask a lot of questions he would get annoyed but I understand that a bit seeing he probably had a lot of students. I would give them one star but because I feel the teachers are actually smart I'll give them the extra star. The things that really just threw it off for me is the price ,  the curriculum , and the teacher being rude occasionally. You can learn everything from the program on your own without paying thousands of dollars. I hope this review will help some people.

• Design Track
    - 7/4/2019
    Joseph Jabkiewicz  User Photo
    Joseph Jabkiewicz • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn

Beginning to detail my time with Bloc and all of the value this Program/Team has brought me - is itself already another blog post. As I was a community college dropout, moving around the States, no real direction or passion other than art and travel- I want this review to reach those people who are possibly in a similar situation - You can do it, and Bloc has your back.

The curriculum itself kept me focused, inspired, and motivated to reach my goal of becoming a Designer. The hard skills and soft skills alike, were a refreshing look into the Design world and gave me a whole new perspective on the way I view failures, goals, and hard-work.

I just recently completed the program and the amount of growth I made in a year is inspiring and exciting- I feel that I could write so much about the positive impact Bloc has had on my life, and I see my future is a lot brighter now because of these skills Ive acquired.

A huge standout that I didnt notice in other programs, was Bloc's Mentorship program. Being paired with a Senior Designer is so invaluable to online-curriculums such as this.  Beyong having the personal relationship and someone to bounce ideas off - it was at the times when I felt discouraged, or that I had no one to reach out to - I always knew that my mentor was one message away. On top of that, the Student Success team was there for me when I was going through some personal tribulations, and they were able to help me stay focused and driven. As I said, I have a lot of writing to do about how this past year has changed my life so significantly- and Bloc's Design Track was the structure I needed that has given me the skills, confidence, and leg up to begin my Design career.

• Chance Sharp

This was a great investment! This gave me an edge with my existing skillset and was such a great value when compared to other bootcamps. I had great help from the student success team and my mentor. This was a perfect fit because I was able to keep my job and work on it part-time and work as fast as I wanted.

Definitely worth it!!

• Jason • Student

I attended Bloc's Web Developer track Sep 2018-Present and unfortunately did not have a positive experience.

The majority of the course is a "monkey see monkey do" approach, following checkpoints and coding along, followed by assignments relevant to the checkpoint.  Technical assessments occur at the end of each module to be sure you're prepared to move onto the next.  Throughout the course students have access to Technical Coaches via Slack to assist when you get stuck.

In theory there is nothing wrong with this approach and for what it's worth Bloc did help open the doors to the wide world of web development, I do plan to continue into this field. However I feel there are much more effective, efficient and inexpensive ways to learn this material.  One of the key issues and my main reason for wanting to warn others is the quality of the curriculum. Although the subject matter is ok, the checkpoints are littered with typos.  These typos range from annoying, but insignificant, spelling and grammar issues in the checkpoints, to much more frustrating typos and errors in the actual code students are told to copy precisely in order to get their programs to work.

On countless occasions I would follow directions precisely only to find my program didn't work as expected. After spending time, typically an hour or two or more, looking for bugs and reviewing the checkpoint over and over, I'd try Slack for support from a Technical Coach. An average wait time for technical coaching was anywhere from 20-30+ minutes and once someone finally begins chatting with you, 15-35+ minutes would elapse between replies, sometimes even longer. More often then not this would equate to a total of anywhere from 2-5 hours of back and forth trying to get a program to work. To make matters worse, technical coaches work part time hours (I believe) so after spending several hours with one coach trying to get something to work, you'd be informed their shift was ending and someone else would be there to help. In this case I found myself typically starting back at the beginning, reexplaining my problem trying to resolve the issue with the same 15-35+ min gaps between replies. This agonizing cycle continued to happen again and again and again so I decided I'd stick to Udemy and other programs to further my education since Bloc was only leading to frustration and feeling discouraged.  Like most in the program I was balancing this with full time work, so my free time was prescious and couldn't justify spending hours and hours on weekends and evenings just waiting for assistance.

In the majority of cases, after wasting literally hours of time, I'd be told the issue I was experiencing was caused by a typo in the checkpoint's code and to just move on and ignore it. Since Slack is a chat community where you can see other threads from other students looking for support, I'd often see students running into the exact same problems with typos I had run into, only to be told the same thing by the technical coach - that it's just a typo and to move on. There were times I saw this happen MONTHS after I had encountered the same typo, which tells me Bloc is not interested in the feedback they receive from their students as these problems are not being fixed in a timely manner.

Although Bloc offers "Group Sessions" (live and prerecorded video content focused on specific topics), the videos are subpar. All of the videos I tried to watch, simple technical issues, like the host's screen share being so zoomed out you can't see any actual code, made it frustrating and pointless to attempt to learn this way. I often found myself relying on YouTube and Udemy for far superior content.  My recommendations would be: 1) Pay the money and go to a program with an actual campus so you can get quality assistance as needed (like Turing or something...) 2) Purchase a handful of Udemy courses for cheap (and or use other free programs like Odin Project, Free Code Camp, Codecademy, etc) and find some help at codementor.com for one on one support. You'll save money AND likely have a better experience than Bloc can offer.

Lesson here is you get what you pay for and Bloc is just about the cheapest program out there.  So I guess it shouldn't be surprising this was my experience.

• Greg Wheeler • Student

I started the Bloc program in October of 2018. This has been one of the most rewarding and challenging seasons of my life. I am working full time while doing the boot camp in the early mornings and late evenings. The one thing I can tell you is that it’s on YOU to make it happen. You have to get disciplined and set up routines and systems especially if you’re doing this on top of another job.

What I love about the program is that it’s set up for you to succeed even if you don’t have design experience or design background. I also love that it covers all things UX/UI and some front-end stuff. It’s an all-encompassing boot camp! By allowing myself to get my feet wet in all aspects of design, I’ve been able to identify which path I want to pursue.

Another great thing is the once a week 30 minute one on one mentor sessions. SO worth it. I’ve been able to dive deep and cover so many topics with my mentors and they are extremely knowledgeable and helpful. They also do a great job of assisting you in marketing yourself for when you’re applying for jobs.

Overall, it's been a really awesome experience!

• Totally worth it!
    - 5/10/2019
    Julian • Product Manager • Graduate

An amazing time. The way I think through problems and designed solutions has changed dramatically for good. While I am not a pure UX/UI Designer, having developed these skills has helped me get a dream job as Senior Product Manager in Munich.

A core component of the program is the Daily Design Critique, where you can submit your work (no matter your level) and get very actionable feedback on how to improve it. You can also attend those sessions and see how other students are doing, what they had designed and what feedback they get.

My only feedback right now has to do with job assistance: My plans where to get a job in Europe, but the service was only available for US & Canada. If you plan to rely on the institution to increase the likelihood of getting a job, please keep that in mind!

• Anonymous • Marketing Representative • Student

Bloc is a great online platform with a strong curriculum that teaches you everything you need to know to be a UX designer. It covers three main topics - UX research/testing, visual design, and basic frontend development. The way the curriculum is designed is innovative as well. It starts with teaching you the fundamentals for each topic, then gives you a project to do where you have to repeat the steps with some guidance. Then another project where you repeat the cycle but you have more freedom to design as you want. That system has been strong as it allows you to learn the basics and then repeat to strengthen your skills.

Besides the curriculum, there's an always-active Slack channel where students, mentors, and staff alike can interact! It's a great place to support other students by taking their surveys/tests, but also learn from the mentors and staff.

Most importantly IMO, you have a mentor who you can meet with on a weekly basis for 30 mins! My mentor has been critical in getting me to the finish line. It's easy to get in your head and become discouraged with your work, but my mentor has always encouraged me to keep going and have confidence in myself. That's something a curriculum can't teach you, so having him was so key for me.

Lastly, this program has everything you need but it's really up to YOU if you use it to its maximum potential. I had a lot of trouble getting started since I was working FT and in this program. Bloc is here to support you but you definitely need to put in the work. It takes a lot of self-discipline since you're not sitting in a classroom environment. If you can accomplish that, I believe Bloc can do great things for ya!

*Even though Bloc has Job Support, I did not give any star ratings for it since I'm not at that point of the program yet.

• Rashel   User Photo
    Rashel • Graduate Verified via GitHub

Three years ago I knew I wanted to make a travel app that hadn't existed yet. I had it all planned out, but I had no way of implementing it without hiring designers and developers to do it. I had a desire to make something from nothing, but I didn't have the skills, education, or tools to do so. This realization paired with my yearning to flex my creative muscles led me to explore a career in UX Design. In the end, I chose Bloc because I felt that it provided me with the education, tools, resources, and mentorship that the other programs didn't seem to have or were too expensive for my budget. So I went for it.

Fast forward to a year later – not only did I make that travel app, but I've now accepted a position as a UX Designer for a travel company in a foreign country, after receiving two other job offers in less than two months of job searching. If you're willing to get serious about what it takes to completely change your life for the better, even with obstacles and difficulties that get in your way, this course is for you. I'll admit, before joining the course, I didn't even know if I was passionate about UX Design or even if I'd be good at it. But once I was exposed to the program and understood the impact of design in bettering our world, I was hooked. Bloc arms you with education and hands-on approach you need to make any app, website, or digital product out there. Finally, having mentors that genuinely cared about my success and who taught me the principles I needed to know along the way, was critical to my professional learning and development. I also really enjoyed participating in the online group-oriented classes and learning about other graduate success stories by utilizing the Slack groups. Bloc provides a holistic experience that takes into account all the facets that you'll need to know to get that first job. And after that, it's all up to you.

• Katie • Student

I went into Bloc.io wanting to completely change careers and had no prior knowledge of software design. I have had the most amazing experience through Bloc's program. Not only is the mentorship aspect amazing but I've learned a brand new skill and about to start applying for jobs. I am beyond grateful for the experience I've had and would recommend this program to anyone. In fact, my brother is about to go through the program because of the awesome results Bloc.io produces.

• Holly  User Photo
    Holly • Experience Designer • Student Verified via GitHub

My name is Holly, and I'm a career changer who is about 3/4 of the way through Bloc's Design program.  I came to the school with a background in the fine arts, and way too many years of dead-end administrative support jobs washed under the bridge.  I was definitely in need of a drastic change, and Bloc brings it without hesitation!  I was fortunate to be able to benefit from the Close The Gap scholarship - which supported female and female-identifying students interested in breaking into tech.

When you sign up for Bloc, you are gradually introduced to a wide-ranging and constantly evolving discipline.  There is a vast, interconnected variety of topics to explore in the curriculum.  In addition to covering Experience Design, Visual Design, and Front End Development, there are also ample opportunities to get your hands dirty with branding and content strategy, UX writing, presentation skills, networking, crafting your own personal brand and drafting a solid plan for growing your career.  It is truly a comprehensive program in a way I did not anticipate, and I am so thankful for it.  Students learn extremely valuable skills, and then do the equally important work of learning to share these skills with the world.

Don't get me wrong - it can feel daunting once it occurs to you exactly how much you're about to learn, and exactly how much work you'll need to do in order to make the most of the resources available at the school  - and pull off the career change you're aiming for.  Still, I've had the support of my mentor every week - whether I was crushing it or really struggling to find my footing with some challenging material.  He has always greeted me and whatever I'm going through with a huge knowledge base, real-life experience, honest and valuable feedback, an affable nature and an irreverent sense of humor.  This has been invaluable in helping me on my journey!

Bloc also offers interesting and fun group sessions, and technical support is available on Slack whenever you may need it.  I'll miss studying at Bloc once I graduate, but until then I get more confident each day that I'll be able to do great work in my new field when it's all said and done.  Thanks for reading!

• Raina  User Photo
    Raina • UX Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I chose Bloc because of their flexibility, self-paced coursework, and because they were offering a Close the Gap scholarship for women. I had had previous UX and coding experience, which helped a lot, but even so, it took me 5-ish months of full time work to complete the course. However, I was able to land a lot of interviews and even ended up having the option of choosing between two job offers in my chosen field before my program ended. The technical coaches are great in helping you when you're stuck, and I'm glad I enrolled with Bloc. It was a great choice for me--just be sure you have the motivation and the self-discipline to keep yourself on track.

• Pankhil Mistry   User Photo
    Pankhil Mistry • UX/UI Designer • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    I recently graduated from the designer track program. The Bloc experience fueled my knowledge about the subject matter to that of a person with decade long mastery in the same. The mentors have been super helpful and super critical in shaping the outcomes of my projects and my portfolio. I have got multiple freelance projects and landed a job within 3 mos of graduation just by putting up my portfolio out there and on LinkedIn. It was quite a journey. Although I am an international student, the amount of skills injected during the program has been a great support for making design decisions at a fresher level. Don't think any other code school provides such a wholistic experience.
  • Sasha F. • Associate UX Designer • Graduate

I reached the end of my time at Bloc a few months ago and this has been my first week as a designer at an enterprise software company. I'll break down my review into the aspects I found most helpful when searching for a bootcamp.

Background: I had no previous experience in tech or design. I worked in education as a teacher and counselor before deciding to enroll in Bloc to make a career switch into UX Design. I worked full-time while completing Bloc.

Tools: Most students use Figma or Sketch. The Bloc team generally encourages Figma because of its collaborative capabilities and because it's free but this is left open-ended. Get what works for you! I used Figma throughout the program and had to switch to Sketch for my job but the platforms are similar enough where I didn't have too much trouble making the switch. When interviewing, I found that there was no real preference for tools but most were using Sketch in my area.

Curriculum: The Bloc program is broken down into mainly three areas: design, front-end development, and a capstone project (if you have time left in your program, you can do 1-3 different capstone projects). The introduction to design really gives you both a historical and theoretical look at design; they provide several videos and external resources to supplement your learning which is great. The front-end portion of the program is really what helps separate Bloc from other bootcamps, and I can't stress enough how helpful it's been for me in understanding basic aspects of development (HTML, CSS, Javascript, Git/Github, the DOM, etc.) Knowing how to prototype with code is a valuable skill in the industry and made some companies more interested in me as an interviewee. But outside of the job market, it also helps you to be able to communicate effectively with engineers on your team and understand where they're coming from.

The capstone projects are really great because you, as a student, determine what you're going to design and really what problem you are going to solve. Some common complaints from hiring managers about bootcamps are that all bootcamp grads end up with the same portfolio. This is absolutely not the case at Bloc! We each have a very different portfolio because of these projects and are able to develop a portfolio that plays up our skills in design. Are you coming from a different industry? Do a design project that solves a problem you faced within your last role. In this way, you develop your story as a designer which is key in the job search process and you also show how your skills are transferable into a different career.

Concerning portfolios, Bloc students design and code their own. This means no Squarespace, Wordpress, Wix or other similar sites. So again, your portfolio can stand out and you can showcase your front-end skills.

Mentorship: While all of this can seem somewhat intimidating, hands down what I loved most about Bloc was the mentorship and the community. Bloc has such an active Slack community with mentors available at almost any time. There are dedicated channels with technical coaches to help you solve whatever is challenging to you. This is especially life-saving when you’re coding your portfolio and your code breaks. On top of the curriculum, there are also live video sessions dedicated to different topics: Design Systems, Designing Instagram, Coding with Javascript, talking to alumni, etc. The most helpful session for me was always the Daily Design Critique. Students submit their work and get feedback from a senior designer and their peers for improvement. Being able to respond to feedback is a very important skill as a designer and Bloc helped me develop a thicker skin when accepting criticism. But at the same time, it was always in a helpful and supportive manner.

Job Search and Career Support: Another great aspect of Bloc is the personal career coach you receive after completing your curriculum. Since its Thinkful acquisition, Bloc has been really great about sending your application to different companies to help you. Just from Bloc introductions, I was able to get to the final stage at a company in Mountain View and several introductory calls with hiring managers or recruiters. My career mentor was extremely helpful and supportive. If I came across a role, I would ask her if she could make an introduction, and she would always do her best to make it happen. Also, when completing design assignments as part of the interview process, I had access to any mentor with experience pertaining to the role. Though one mentor was based all the way in South America, he went out of his way to review my design assignment before I submitted it to the hiring manager. I received such positive feedback from that interview and made it to the final stage despite their trepidations about my lack of experience because of the feedback he provided me.

Final Thoughts: Bloc was really great, but any student signing up should be mindful that the program alone isn’t always enough to get a role. For myself, because I live in such a competitive area (San Francisco), competition was high and I had to freelance for a bit to build up my portfolio and experience before a company was willing to take a chance. My ability to get freelance roles, however, would not have been possible without Bloc. And with their help and that of my mentor, I landed a position in about 3 months.

There are definitely certain areas I think Bloc can improve, but overall I think it was well worth the money and the time. I hope within the curriculum, web developer track and designer track students can collaborate to design and build a capstone because it gives students real practice with handoffs. Bloc should also develop a doc of Slack channels dedicated to Design because jobs are often posted there and it's a great way to network off Twitter.

It took me a year to complete the program and was stressful at times but it was worth it to make such an incredible career transition. Thank you, Bloc team!

• Designer Track
    - 4/1/2019
    Rachel • Associate Product Designer • Graduate

Choosing Bloc as my way into the UX/UI design field was hands-down the best decision I ever made. I learned a tremendous amount of information in a relatively short amount of time, and I feel that I got real exposure to the world of digital product design and UX/UI. I chose Bloc out of other online bootcamps because unlike other bootcamps, Bloc focuses on front-end development in addition to UX/UI design. Learning HTML and CSS was definitely a challenge, but I have become proficient and was even able to code my design portfolio from scratch. This is only one example of the application of Bloc's curriculum and being a designer with the ability to code was something that really impressed potential employers.

I finished Bloc in 11 months and took about 3 months to find a job. One of my most favorite parts of the Bloc experience was working with the career services team, and I found them to be invaluable to the entire experience. I got regular, personalized career advice from proven professionals in the field as well as a whole lot of emotional support. My career coach helped me with things like phrasing cold emails and follow up messages as well as "professional etiquette" such as figuring out the appropriate amount of time to reach back out to an employer, navigating tricky interview questions, and so much more. I think that the information and resources that the career team provides are definitely not something that someone can get from a university/higher education career center.

I just started my new design position at a NYC startup, and I could not be more grateful for the Bloc experience and everyone who helped me get here!

• I have a job!!
    - 3/28/2019
    Emily S. • Front End Engineer

Okay so I could sit here and write about how nice Bloc's program is- how it's flexible, great to be able to learn the material online, and how they have a great support system, but let's face it. The REAL reason I went to bootcamp was to switch careers. I'm not going to lie, I was skeptical about the whole idea of "changing careers in 8 months". But low and behold, I DOUBLED my salary and have a job at a startup. I landed the 5th job I applied for, 2nd that I interviewed for, and I had the offer paperwork signed within a month and a half of graduation. They aren't kidding when they say skills are more important than a degree. While the job search process was pretty seamless, they have an AMAZING career support team that helps with interview prep, negotiation, applications, etc. upon graduation. If those of you working dead end jobs like I was before this program, I highly reccomend making the switch.

• Jessica • Student

I have been enrolled in Bloc's Web Development course since January, and I must say, I'm loving it. Is paying for an online program necessary to learn web development? Absolutely not. But for me, it was without a doubt the right decision. The biggest value I get from Bloc is that it keeps me on track, and it gives me a clear path of what I should be learning, and at what pace. My self-study would probably take twice as long if it wasn't for the curriculum constantly moving me forward. Plus, it introduces me to concepts that I wouldn't necessarily think to learn about on my own. Aside from that, the feedback I get from the grading coaches is great, it really helps me see what I am doing right and wrong. I also look forward to my weekly calls with my mentor. I learn a lot about the practical aspects of being a developer in those meetings.

There's also other support channels, such as the student slack channel, and the daily group sessions (plus tons of recorded videos to go through), so the support in this course is second to none.

Another support-related aspect that drew me to this course was the career component. And now that I am in the course, I can say that it truly is as helpful as I expected. What I didn't want from paying for a 'boot camp' of sorts was for them to teach you a bunch of code, and spit you out. That's not the feeling I've gotten from Bloc at all. It seems that student success was built into the model, and that everyone involved really wants to see you succeed.

I don't even want to call what I am about to say critiques, because it is at no fault of Bloc, but they are more just things to be aware of before entering the program:

- I find that at times, Bloc does not provide every single resource you need to learn the material. I end up spending about as much time on Bloc material as I do learning from other resources. I believe that I read somewhere that is intentional. It is no way a bad thing, especially for me as I enjoy learning from different sources with different teaching styles, it's just something to be aware of.

- Second, this program is HARD. Don't expect that because you are paying for a program, it will suddenly become easier. I am lucky enough to find myself in a situation that allows me to study full-time, and I have no idea how people do this part-time. I feel that even putting in 40 hours per week, I still always feel like I should be doing more. Granted, at the pace I am on, it is estimated that I will finish 2 months before my "end date", so I'm not running out of time; there's just SO much to learn. Also, take this with a grain of salt. People pick up on things at different paces. But if you are brand new to programming, make sure you have AT LEAST the minimum amount of time per week that Bloc recommends, I think it's 20 hours?

This program is a lot of hard work, but there really is no better feeling than when your code starts working. I can't wait to see where the rest of my journey with Bloc takes me, and then to my career beyond. I absolutely recommend Bloc to anyone that is not going the traditional CS degree route, as I find it reasonably priced compared to other online programs, and the experience thus far has been superb.

• Fantastic!
    - 3/11/2019
    Alexander Vela  User Photo
    Alexander Vela • Student Verified via GitHub

I've finally reached the end of my time with Bloc and I have had nothing but a positive experience with them. MY mentors and the student success were always helpful and ready to assist me. I would not hesitate to recommend them.

• Love this place!
    - 3/7/2019
    Austin MacAdam  User Photo
    Austin MacAdam • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I am mad at myself for not finding this place faster. i love the style and the speed as well as the work load! the mentors are FANTASTIC and everyone is there to help you. you dont have to know what you are doing to start...it will help, but not needed. Bloc is with you and will help you whenever you need the help. Be that through Slack or mentors! overall love this bootcamp and would recomend it to anyone interested !

• Horacio Gutierrez • Student

Bloc has an amazing methodology to ramp up students into the world of UX/UI design.   The quality of content and instructors is wonderful to help you move forward when you get stuck.  Bloc offers a tuition reimbursement guarantee because they know that once you graduate from their program, you will find a job for sure!  In my opinion, with the high quality of content and instructors, it would be unfair to ask Bloc for my money back because I've learned more than I thought I could learn in this short period of time.

• Oliver   User Photo
    Oliver • Student Verified via GitHub

PROS: The learning process is project based, meaning you learn through creating real-world projects (ie. a Reddit Clone, a Wiki site) that will not only give you a great learning experience but will give you a basis of work for your portfolio when it comes time to apply for jobs.

The Slack channel runs 24/7 with tech agents that are there to help you work through any bugs or confusion you are having. They don't give you the answers, they teach you how to debug and solve it yourself so you can learn how to get unstuck in the future.

You have a mentor meeting once a week to get one on one help from Bloc alums who are actively working in the field.

Bloc forces you to learn to network and then to put it into practice. You will have to attend in person events, do some cold outreach emails to get in touch with local professionals, and write to companies you are interested in. It's stressful at first, but it is worth it, and it also allows you to create an in-person community which makes up for the fact that you are learning online.

Each module ends with a career development section where you spend a few checkpoints working on things like resumes, active networking, interview practice, and doing research on the job market where you are applying. Having this spread out across your time at Bloc is really useful and is a great primer for the final job search module.

The assessments at the end of each module are structured like a technical interview. Which like the rest of the Bloc curriculum is great practice for when you are going into the professional world.

CONS:

It is self paced, there is no given timeline and no one setting deadlines for you to finish checkpoints. I actually liked the self paced nature, but you are someone who needs more structure in order to stay on track then Bloc is not the best choice for you. However, if you are able to self-motivate and keep yourself on track and accountable then you will be fine.

• Zully  User Photo
    Zully • Product/UI Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Bloc was my first experience with an online bootcamp but I have to say I doubt it gets much better than this. I was very careful with my selection and reviewed many programs before I made my choice because it is a pretty significant time and money investment. I have been really impressed with the thoughtfulness and relevance of the curriculum and depth of knowledge you can obtain if you put in the time. That said, it is definitely not a course for people not willing or able to put in the time. If you work full-time it's challenging to keep up but it's definitely worthwhile. The mentors are knowledgeable and great to work with and I've definitley learned a lot.

Bloc has an acceptance rate of 100%, of which 100% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Bloc, 41% graduate. 73% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $65,411.

Matriculation Information

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

Employment Breakdown:

This chart shows the breakdown of roles for job-seeking graduates.

Bloc students reflected in this report as Enrolled are students who continued after 4 weeks of starting in the Part-Time Web Developer Track, Software Engineer Track, and Full Stack Track.

Read the verified report here: https://www.bloc.io/employment-and-completion-rates