bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.64

all (456) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
    I finished the Bloc UIUX design program and my experience pretty good overall. The curriculum is mostly reading material and is less interactive than I anticipated, so it's important to keep this in mind. There were no live sessions to replicate in-person classes unless you attend office hours. This is nice because it's flexible, but it was hard for me since I wanted there to be "class" for more interaction/feedback/communication. The curriculum was good, though, in the sense that it covered UX, UI, and coding. This helped me gain a greater understanding of the whole product design process. The mentorship program was one of the reasons Bloc stood out to me. I really enjoyed my mentor sessions as it helped me ask questions I had and build a relationship. I knew that my mentors were very knowledgable and also genuinely cared for me and my success.

Difficulties:
    - Grading can take a while. Some of the assignments can't be completed if the previous one has not been approved (in the sense that you should not move ahead without feedback) and this obviously set back a lot of things. It was really frustrating not to be able to plan how much work will be done in a day and move forward.
    - Another frustrating thing was coding the portfolio. In the program, you must design then code your portfolio. Now, this truly taught me a lot about HTML and CSS, but as a UIUX designer it wasn't what I wanted to focus on and it took up a lot of time that I felt was unnecessary (a shared sentiment between many). So this is also something to keep in mind.

All that being said, I do feel that I've learned a lot and have been pushed. There is definitely more learning and work to do after this, but I feel like the program gave me strong roots. Bloc has definitely helped me grow and I feel like I did make the right choice.
  • Anonymous • UX Designer • Student
    The Bloc curriculum within Thinkful was perfect for giving me a solid foundation in UX Design. It's a program that you really need to work hard at, and function pretty independently. But if you can do that, this program will set you up for success and give you the foundation you need to begin a career in Tech as a product designer. I recommend this course as a better alternative to more pricey bootcamps, especially if you need the flexibility to do it remotely.
  • Michael Mace  User Photo
    Michael Mace • Junior Software Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I completed the full-stack web development program, and I can't say enough good things about it. Their content is up to date with the latest best practices & frameworks. The coaches and mentors are outstanding - probably the best part of the program. The program is flexible around life events if you need to take a break. I found a job within a month after completing my last project all thanks to what I learned with Bloc. I would definitely consider enrolling again!
  • Lucas • Graduate
    Pros - Price, decent curriculum, able to go at your own pace, good mentors, fun projects, great careers coach, resources for when you are stuck.

Cons - Not as good mentors, always assumes everyone is taking 8 months, slow response time to assignment reviews, no React Hooks, data structures and algorithms is rushed.

Overall, I think taking this Bloc program was really rewarding and I believe that for the most part they kept up their end of the bargain. I learned a lot in a pretty quick time, and I was able to take those skills and use them in pursuit of a new career. I ended up with a great mentor initially and everything was great. As the course is 'Go at your own pace', I took it full time and ended up finishing in just under 4 months. Even though it is go at your own pace, throughout the course Bloc references 8 month finish time. It's pretty weird that they keep referencing that throughout the course considering it is go at your own pace. For the future I hope that this changes considering not everyone will take 8 months to complete the course. Along the same lines, sometimes it can take a long time to get an assignment reviewed. Since I was going at a faster pace, I kept moving and would receive a response a week later, after I had moved way past that assignment. It can get a little annoying to have to go back and fix a little mistake when I am already far past that checkpoint. Overall though, it's not a huge issue.

In terms of the course work and teaching style I think it is pretty well written and easy to understand - for the most part. The first half of the course is much easier to follow and I believe more well written than the second half. They seem to dive way deeper in the fundamentals than they do in the later parts while learning React and Data Structures and Algorithms. Those later portions of the course feel rushed and not explained as much. They essentially want you to follow along, but then you go to implement it yourself with the same steps and it won't work. I had to take a udemy course on react side by side Bloc in order to understand the concepts easier and get a more thorough understanding. This seems to be what most people do. In the case of Data Structures and Algorithms, I also think they should take more time to go over these concepts, it's not really clear what they are wanting or explaining, and then you have a mock interview on it right after.

Overall, I enjoyed the course and think it was reasonably priced. I think there are a few things that could be improved going forward but overall they prepare you for a new career and provide a ton of help to do so. I would recommend it to a friend depending on their situation. I think if you have 15k to spare, it's probably better to go to a full time in person bootcamp.
  • Paul • Graduate
    I took the course in 2016 for front end web development. During that time they promised 6 month tuition reimbursement guarantee. Which was one of the things that attracted me. It made me feel comfortable. I finished the course within the given time frame and followed their rules. I applied for jobs for 6 months and was not able to find job. They promised job after 6 months of job searching. If you weren't able to find work within then they promised tuition guarantee. If you are planning to enroll DO NOT bank on the tuition guarantee. Although the content of the course was decent and helped me become better coder but they will not follow through on their promise for tuition guarantee. At least for me they didn't. They told me to do an extra 3 months of job searching. I never did get a job or my tuition. Now I'm stuck with a 10 grand debt I've been paying off for 4 years. I'm working on filing a lawsuit but they make you sign an agreement to arbitrate any disputes. No taking issues to court. They are very sneaky. Worst experience of my life. Highly do not recommend.
  • Shane Finlayson  User Photo
    Shane Finlayson • Sole Proprietor • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    Overview:
        For those of you in a hurry, here is a quick overview of Bloc.io. If you are truly interested in enrolling in their program, I recommend you read this in its entirety.
        The curriculum is simplistic in its explanation of topics and has several errors in the literature. At one point, they send you to Codecademy.com to learn from them. You can pay up to $8,500 to be sent to a completely different company to learn what they should be teaching themselves.
        The mentorship is inadequate, you will receive thirty-minutes, once a week, to talk with a mentor about any troubles you may be experiencing. Now if you are having a coding problem that you feel unable to solve yourself, and you would like to use the help of your mentor, this creates another issue. Thirty-minutes is an insufficient amount of time for the mentor to become familiar with your code and help you resolve the complication. It's not that the mentors aren't skilled or educated on the topics, it's simply a herculean task to resolve the problems in such a restrictive amount of time.
        They give you the illusion that you can finish this program at your own pace, that's not true. You will have eight months to complete the program. During this time, you can proceed at your own pace, when the eight months expire, you must pay, per week you wish to extend your program (about $140 a week if I remember correctly).
     My objection to this program is that when compared to so many other websites (such as Treehouse, Codecademy, W3Schools, Udemy) Bloc.io falls behind in content and doesn't justify the price tag.

The Whole Story:

To start, I have received my certification from Bloc.io. I successfully passed all of my assessments in my first attempt. I have not written this review out of anger due to not being able to complete the program. My complaint lies mainly behind the price and its syllabus.
        I enrolled in the Bloc.io program in December 2018, paid $6500 after applying two discounts. One was a thousand dollars off for paying upfront, the other was a thousand dollar scholarship program that I had received. I started with Treehouse.com, to begin my education into web development. I learned the basics of HTML, CSS, and began my understanding of JavaScript.
     After a few weeks of using other cheaper websites, I was excited to see what I would receive for my hard-earned $6500. Then my program began, within twenty-minutes, I instantly felt buyers remorse. I was met with large sections of tedious text, with an input box at the bottom of each page to write out my answers to the handful of questions. I tried to remain positive and hopeful that the curriculum would improve, I was wrong.

The Curriculum:
      The first problem I noticed is how you send in your assignments. You are given a series of questions, then an empty input field where you have to format the questions and answers in MarkDown to submit it. Now, this isn't necessarily a problem, but it is time-consuming and annoying that you have to waste your time formating out your assignments.
     They also have a very odd design choice to not include any videos in their courses. Instead, they do live videos, like a web conference over Zoom or Google Hangouts, to somewhat resemble a lecture you would find at a college. This defeats one of the benefits of doing an educational program online. You can view the videos at a later time, but watching a teacher stumble through a lecture suffers in comparison to an edited video with animations and excellent footage like on Treehouse or Udemy.
     Most online programs I have experienced, have a comment section that you may use to ask questions on the topic at hand. This allows you to receive help from other students if something wasn't clear to you. Bloc doesn't include this, instead, they use Slack. With hundreds of different checkpoints, this becomes an issue. Simple questions and answers can't be related to a particular checkpoint. This leads to the same questions having to be answered repeatedly on Slack, or lengthy searches on Google for a simple answer.
     In the program, they will go line by line and attempt to explain the reason for that particular line of code. Here is the most important thing to remember about programming. Knowing enough to understand what the code is doing, and knowing enough about coding to solve the problem yourself is a big difference. One of the most important differences if you want to land a job. Coding takes practice, copying someone else's code, doesn't improve your skills.
     The facile explanations of the topics you will learn are concerning. Through this course, you will learn what is called a PERN stack. PERN, stands for Postgres, Express, React, NodeJS, and represent the frameworks and libraries of code you will use to create websites. While only four topics to learn, they are complex and can be difficult to master. That being said, after eight months of this program, I didn't have the in-depth knowledge that I wanted on these frameworks. Bloc is more concerned about giving you projects to put on your portfolio as opposed to providing a solid foundation on these subject matters.
     The errors in their code are abundant and are something you will have to fight with throughout the program. It is inevitable you will create your own mistakes while following the checkpoints, and you will have to learn from them. When the mistakes are created by them, it can become frustrating and extremely hard for a student to remedy. A couple of them even confused my mentor to the point where she couldn't figure it out. Mistakes happen, but according to my mentor, they are in no hurry to fix them either.

The Personal Touch of Bloc:
     Every checkpoint you submit is looked over by one of their staff. If you made a mistake in your submission you will be asked to revise your assignment. Sometimes they do give some helpful advice on your mistakes and sometimes include links to help you find the correct answer. This is nice at first, but it becomes troublesome towards the end when your submissions are extremely large. On more than one occasion, I had made a mistake on an assignment or forgot to do a certain task, and the error wasn't caught by the reviewer.
     Having to do assessments after each module is a nice touch. You get the feel of what it's like to do a real coding interview. Especially in the last module, where you will take part in a couple of mock interviews. This is by far the best part of the Bloc program and is worth mentioning.

The Time Restraint:
     What I found most concerning about the Bloc.io platform is the time frame in which you are to complete this program. You will endure six modules consisting of numerous checkpoints. At the end of every module, you must take a test conducted over Zoom (a web conferencing website) where you will be quizzed on your knowledge of that particular module and its contents. You must schedule an assessment with one of the staff at Bloc, and that person cannot be your current mentor.
     For the first few assessments, I was able to set a date within a few days. The last couple of assessments became a problem trying to create an appointment. Only two mentors were qualified to take part in those assessments, one of which was my mentor. That left me with only one person that could assess me on my progress throughout these final modules. One of which I had to wait over a month to be able to participate in. I was patient and didn't complain about the long duration between my evaluations. Until, the end of my eight months was up, and they told me I needed to pay them, per-week, to continue. At this point, I only needed to complete two or three more assessments to receive my certification. So I reached out to the Student Success Team, they were responsive but nothing was getting resolved until I mentioned the Better Business Bureau. The next email stated I had received a week extension.
     In the end, they did give me the extensions I required to finish, without charging me, but they did manage to waste an abundant amount of my time in the process.

Final thoughts:
     Simply put, Bloc.io will teach you the buzz words of programing and their meanings. They will also give you the code to some projects that will make your portfolio look decent. You won't come out of this with a strong understanding of web development, but you will learn enough to get by.
     If you were like me, and you have no experience in programming, this is hands down one of the worst places to start. Now if you have some familiarity with programming and web development, this is an overpriced, low-quality online program that will let you down after gouging your wallet.
     The reason I have spent so much time writing such a lengthy review is to inform you and anyone else interested in Bloc.io that there are better places to receive an education on web development.
     Treehouse, Codecademy, W3Schools all offer certifications that hold more weight, because people have actually heard of these companies, unlike Bloc.io. If you are truly interested in getting into web development, don't worry about getting a degree or certification. Learning how to write clean code is more important than any certification.
     There is a reason why many companies do something called "whiteboarding." It's the process of giving an applicant a coding challenge and making them solve it on a whiteboard (or something similar) during the interview process. This weeds out a surprisingly large amount of programmers, who struggle with solving common coding challenges, due to them knowing how to read code and not write it.
     Learn the fundamentals of web development, focus on creating unique projects that you can show off on your portfolio and go to meetups with other programmers. Those are the three steps that several of the web developers I know have followed and now have jobs without any degree or certification.

My recommendation:
     I wished I had paid the thirty dollars a month for Treehouse, twenty-five dollars for Codecademy. Waited for Udemy to do one of their sales, spend fifty dollars on a couple of their courses, and received a stronger education for a fraction of the price. If you decide to take that path, you will learn everything offered at Bloc.io and more.
  • Designer Track
    - 4/6/2020
    I finally graduated and I would definitely recommend Bloc to anyone. However, do your research and know that this is an online program, meaning there will be limitations.
  • Mark Bergstrom  User Photo
    Mark Bergstrom • Engineering Manager • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    I would definitely recommend Bloc's Web Developer Track to anyone seeking to learn how to become a full stack developer.  I had some self-taught coding experience in VBA coming into the program, but this was my first formal code training since a basic Fortran class back in college over 15 years ago.  The curriculum is great at building a good foundation and then diving deep into some of the latest and greatest concepts and strategies in use today.  The course is challenging and requires that you put in the time to learn the necessary concepts, but if you trust the process and stick with it, you'll come out the other end blown away with the new skills that you have.

The general layout of the curriculum requires you to read a written lesson and then complete a set of exercises.  Occasionally, these exercises will be reviewed for completion and accuracy, but oftentimes they are just for your own benefit and understanding.  Once per week, you'll meet over the web with your mentor.  This is a great time to help work through the areas where you're stuck or get some higher level understanding of how exactly the new skills you're learning would come into play in a real-world tech job.  In between mentor meetings, you'll have access to loads of technical coaching through Slack where you can talk to coaches or other students working through the same content you are.

It might seem like a lot to figure out and accomplish while you're in the middle of it all.  It certainly did for me at times!  Trust the process.  You can do this!
  • Travis Whittington  User Photo
    Travis Whittington • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    This program offers an extensive and rigorous education in full stack web development. Languages, frameworks and technologies taught are HTML, CSS, Javascript, JQuery, ReactJS, NodeJS, PostgreSQL, Express, Mocha, Chai, Supertest and much much more. Your initial courseware starts you out by learning HTML and CSS.. Before you know it you will be learning more advanced frameworks like React and Node. You will use these technologies to build full stack capstone projects. You have a senior developer as a mentor there with you every step of the way. They are your guide so to speak and they are awesome!  Not only that, there are a ton of QnAs, workshops and other discussions scheduled all day every day throughout the platform.  Most importantly, they are completely remote.  For parent out there who really want to learn full stack dev but just can't afford to drive into a class, this is it! This is the school to check out.  The people are just super cool, down to earth and humble.  I can't speak enough about how great it was to work with them.. It's heads and tails above and beyond the experience you would get at a traditional school. Believe me, I have a couple degrees including a post-graduate. This was better than those experiences and I learned way more. If you have the drive and determination just do it. They will help you find employment and put you into a new career with confidence. You may even be interviewing before the course is over. That's pretty common actually!  Best of luck to anyone who is thinking of signing up. I can't recommend enough :)
  • Sihao Cao • Bloc Graduate • Graduate
    I am a Bloc graduate after being in the Web Developer Track from July, 2019 to March, 2020. I feel this bootcamp does a great job of teaching you the essentials of modern-day web development. My mentor was great at answering questions and the technical coaches on Slack were superb in addressing my coding issues. I liked the fact that mock interviews and job prep were integrated into the curriculum as they are a great primer for getting me ready for the job market. I liked the online self-paced structure of the program as well. I would highly recommend this program to others!
  • Christie Chang • UX Designer • Graduate
    I was previously a graphic designer at my job stuck in my career. I decided to enroll myself in Bloc's Designer Track hoping to transition my career from a graphic designer into a UX Designer. Bloc's Designer Track is incredibly challenging and a lot of work. However, out of the program, I was able to understand UX Research methods, obtain more knowledge in Visual Design, and also learned how to Front-end Code. We took all that we learned and was required to create our own website from scratch. The ability to learn how to code already made my money's worth in my opinion. It has been a valuable bonus skill when I spoke to employers. All the mentors I had in the course were really helpful and definitely did their best to help students out. However, for those interested in enrolling in the course, be mindful that it takes up a lot of time and effort. I oftentimes found myself lacking self-motivation. However, if you keep moving forward, it will all be very rewarding in the end. After graduating, I was given an offer soon after for a full-time UX Design position.
  • A • Graduate
    There are a lot of things I wish I had known about this program before signing up so I'm here to tell my story hoping someone finds it useful if you're on the fence about this. I'm surprised at how many 5 star reviews are on here. The program pesters you to complete a review 2 - 3 weeks into the curriculum which was really annoying. I'd take some of these 5-star reviews with a grain of salt.

Curriculum: Once you're enrolled, you're given access to their Slack channels and to their site to begin the program. You then choose a mentor that you'll meet once a week to go over any problems or questions you may have. The material consists of a series of checkpoints with practice problems that you need to complete in order to move onto the next. There are slack channels for each section/modules you're on to ask technical mentors for help when you're stuck on a problem. You'll take an assessment after each module through online video conferencing which will unlock the next module upon successful completion. In the end, you take your final assessment along with a final project to see if you get your certificate.

Pros: It gets you started with web development. Some of the mentors seemed to genuinely care about my success and learning. The git workflows. Career services were solid.

Cons: This is going to be a lot - The material was pretty disappointing. I was expecting video content at least to explain difficult concepts, but it was just plain text with external links to other resources. It's no different from going to a library and checking out a book on web development. I learned most of the material through Google, Udemy, YouTube - All significantly better resources.

The slack channels where you ask for help was extremely inefficient and clearly suffered from having understaffed technical coaches. This was really frustrating and really slowed down momentum when you're trying to solve a checkpoint and have limited time in the day. Sometimes a response could take 20-30 minutes since they had so many questions from other students. If a technical coach's shift is ending midway through a problem, a new one will jump in and you'll start the process over again. This is a HUGE problem when you're trying to complete the curriculum within 8-months. The program is aimed at working professionals, but after an 8-hour workday, I only had about 4 hours before the technical coaches leave for the night. This along with the fact that they were understaffed with 20-30 min response time was painful.

My mentors were hit or miss. As I said, some of them seemed to really care about my growth, while others seemed like they were just there for a paycheck and riding the hype train. You're expected to come prepared for these mentor sessions, but the mentors seemed to be disconnected from the curriculum and didn't come prepared by looking at your status in the program (even though they have access to it). Sometimes going over the checkpoints, they don't know what the projects or problem statements are so you have to spend extra time just familiarizing them. You only have 30 mins a week with them which is sometimes just enough 1 problem and familiarizing them with the curriculum didn't help. I also don't think that the mentors, technical coaches, and graders were all on the same page - There have been numerous times where they would have conflicting feedback on the checkpoints.

Overall: In the end, I did eventually find a job in the industry, but I wouldn't give too much credit to Bloc for that (Thanks Google, Andrei Neagoie, and Brad Traversy!). I know Bloc and Thinkful were going through a merger throughout this time so that may have contributed to the issues, but either way, it wasn't good for the students. If I could go back, I'd definitely attend an in-person, well-known Bootcamp to alleviate all the inefficiencies. I didn't know this going in, but a bootcamps network and reputation is pretty crucial in the job hunt phase. They can introduce you to more companies along with past alumni's in the industry to help get your foot in the door. While Bloc's career support was ok in job leads, their network is small in comparison. Also, after going through the job search, no one is going to care about your certificate of completion from the bootcamp. Networking, grit, portfolio, and interview skills will be key.

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here