bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.62

all (472) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Gavin  User Photo
    Gavin • Front-End Developer • Graduate • Verified via LinkedIn
    When I was looking for a web development program, I needed the schedule to be flexible and this program provided that. If you don't need a strict schedule to stay on track, this is a great program for you. If you need the structure of classes at a regular time, the flex program won't give you what you need. The instructors were great and you have a mentor that provides weekly guidance as you work your way through the modules. The content of the curriculum is detailed and provides you with strong web development fundamentals. The one thing I wish they provided was more video content to reinforce the content. There is a lot of text explaining concepts that can be complex. I ended up using outside resources to supplement the curriculum to help me understand concepts. The mock interviews provide you with good insight into how real interviews are structured and help you absorb the concepts of each module. After graduation, you are assigned a career coach and mine was great. She checked in with me regularly and provided valuable tips as I applied for jobs. I was able to get a job fairly quickly - a little more than one month after graduation - and think the career coaching helped a lot. There was some luck involved, but the career coaching pushed me to find opportunities. If you are a self-starter, I would strongly recommend Bloc, which is now Thinkful.
  • UX UI Program
    - 1/21/2021
    I would give this program 3/5 stars. There's A LOT of reading, and they're super informative, and I learned a lot, but I wish there were more "experience" in the field. For example, work with clients or maybe have more fake clients so that students can practice real-life situations. I feel like I still have much more to learn. I had 30 minutes mentor sessions once a week, and I felt like that wasn't enough. I was really on my own most of the time, and I did A LOT of self-learning. I've been job searching for a good month and still have no offer.

I didn't connect with Career Services yet, but you are pretty much on your own looking for a job. I wish they helped me connect with employers.
  • Adam L • Student
    My experience with Bloc's Web Developer Track was outstanding. The curriculum focused on learning HTML, CSS, JavaScript, React, Node, Express, and more.

On top of that, the support is what I believe really makes this program shine. From day one I was assigned a mentor that I had weekly meetings with. If needed I could reach out to my mentor between our weekly meetings as well. Mentor meetings were one on one and the discussion was always led by me and what I wanted to discuss. In addition to my mentor, there is also a chat service that I could access directly from the curriculum. If I was confused about a certain area I could open a chat session and receive assistance immediately. There were also workshops throughout the week where I could meet with an instructor as well as other students to get help.

Mock interviews throughout the course was another reason I picked this program.  I feel that seeing how interviews involving technical questions and live coding challenges was vital.  The more practice the better.

I've just graduated and am now receiving assistance from a career coach to find employment with my new skills. I would recommend this program to anybody.
  • Buyer Beware!
    - 11/12/2020
    Recently Withdrawn • Student
    In my opinion, this program is an absolute scam. I withdrew after 2 1/2 weeks. Their curriculum is terrible, and there is absolutely no student support. There are free, or nearly free, resources available that are 100 times better for helping one learn to become a developer.
  • Hannah L.  User Photo
    Hannah L. • Product Designer • Student • Verified via LinkedIn
    Bloc was overall a great experience. I received a job offer upon graduating, but it took a lot of work especially during the pandemic. I think the most valuable aspect of Bloc were my weekly mentor sessions. My mentor helped me understand industry standards, articulate my design decisions to stakeholders, and job search more strategically. Without my mentor, I don't think Bloc would have been worth it. I also think Bloc is great for anyone who wants to switch into UX design, but can't afford to quit their current job.

It is longer than other UX boot camps, but I personally enjoyed having the extra wiggle room to let concepts sink in more and study at my own pace. It gave me a great starting foundation for the design process, but what really helped me was going beyond the course material. Doing 48 hr. design-a-thons, working with other designers, and finding projects asap is what helped me learn the most.

There are tons of resources on UX out there, but if you don't know what you're looking for in the first place, you can get lost very easily. Bloc's curriculum does a great job of sifting out the BS from the stuff you need. Although the front end part was great to learn and add to my arsenal of skills, I do think learning React would have been more useful than jQuery. Some of the content felt a little outdated and explanations were long and difficult to keep up with at times.

Overtime, I learned that the design process Bloc teaches is used more as a guideline in the industry rather than a strict step-by-step guide, the process is going to change based on the project needs. I would definitely recommend Bloc for those who need structure and a little extra help in their studying/learning habits. Bloc is going to get you started, but you've got to be the one to put in the extra work and make sure you get the job you want.

• Designer Track
    - 10/20/2020
    Erin • N/A • Graduate
    My overall experience at Bloc was good! I really enjoyed my mentor and thought she was super helpful as I navigated through the course. The only complaint I had throughout my time was the grading system. I often got inconsistent feedback from the graders in my projects. But again, my mentor was a great help in figuring out which pieces of feedback I should take, and which were not necessarily accurate. I thought the curriculum was easy to understand and keep up with. I also enjoyed that assessments are mock interviews meant to prepare you for the job world. I have not started my job search yet but I imagine that is going to be very helpful as I start interviewing.
  • Reese A. • Student
    Bottom line: I picked Bloc because I needed a flexible program that I could do on my own time that didn’t require ALL of my time. This ended up being a great option for me. The program pushed me to learn a lot more than I would have if I were just learning things on my own using free or cheaper resources, and the support is great. They have chat-based technical coaches who are available most of the day in mainland US timezones, they have video-based Q&A sessions scheduled at various times just about every day of the week, and you’re assigned an industry veteran mentor, possibly an academic success manager, and a career coach upon graduation.

A few words on the curriculum: So, yes, the vast majority of the curriculum is text-based, not video lectures or in-browser IDEs. You will need to read documentation as part of the assignments and also when you are trying to figure things out on your own. Keep in mind that once you graduate, you will also need to read documentation to learn new things, either in a work setting or trying to complete side projects on your own. In my opinion, the Bloc/Thinkful bootcamps are helping you by keeping the curriculum simple.

A couple of tips:

Tip #1: Learn beforehand if you want to get the most value for your money. You can go into the program knowing pretty much nothing beforehand, but you will face a much steeper learning curve and it will take you longer to understand the material. There are a ton of free resources out there that you can start with, even if you are absolutely certain that you want to do a coding bootcamp. Committing 10-15 hours a week for 3+ months to study will likely be an immense help to you during the program because 1. You’ll have seen a lot more things and the material won’t feel so unfamiliar and 2. You’ll already have the discipline to sit down and learn. Also, if you end up finishing earlier than they expect, you’ll get money back/pay less tuition. Again, totally optional, but I wish someone had given me this advice 18 months ago.

Tip #2: Make a plan for finishing, and a contingency plan in case you don’t finish on time. They offer a pacing plan so you know where you should be in the curriculum in order to graduate on time, but I don’t think it takes the extra pause time that you’re given into account. Make goals for yourself, and try to get ahead on the early assignments, before things start getting difficult. If you get 1-2 months behind and don’t finish by the end date (which is fine, you’re not stupid for taking longer to learn, I promise), what’s the plan? Can you afford to pay for an extension or two? One way or the other, be realistic going into the program, and I think that will greatly increase your chances of being successful.

Overall, I’m happy I picked Bloc and while it got tough and there were times I totally wanted to quit or I wondered why I didn’t pick a different program, I’m so glad that I didn’t.
  • Web Developer
    - 10/9/2020
    Jonathan Kang  User Photo
    Jonathan Kang • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    This program consisted of a curriculum for a full-stack web developer.  It was very intensive and certainly is not an easy way into web development.  If motivation is there, I would highly suggest this program for hard workers.  It consisted of learning JavaScript and using React.js as a framework for the front-end.  The two full-stack projects were not too hard to finish with the teaching curriculum however, the direction of the projects was not as easy to come by.  Creativity is definitely a large component for building projects.
  • Pierce Hicks • Front End Developer • Graduate
    Great platform but the material is too dated to be chosen as a bootcamp in 2020. Bloc was bought by Thinkful and you should just apply there. Thinkful has more name cache and more up to date material. During my time at Bloc in 2019, I ran into numerous issues where there was outdated code particularly in the " WDT Server-Side JS with Node.js " section but also old-school ways of using React. This is slightly cheaper than most online courses but it's not worth it. The instructors are knowledgeable and the help staff is active but 40% of the time the issue involved outdated course content, particularly in the final sections. Also, there were more than a few times where they were short staffed and getting cleared to the next section took days and the success team email was silent. This bootcamp would be worth it if all they did was update the course material.
  • Ailsa • Front-end Software Engineer • Student
    I came into this course with experience in software engineering already and, through this course, was primarily aiming to flesh out my front-end development skills, having done very little of this in the past. What I found was an amazingly structured curriculum with a focus on best practices and industry standards, great testing methods and lots of support, both during and after the course. I was also surprised by how approachable it was, both for people with prior coding experience, and those without it. I completed the track in about 3.5 months and ended up with a six-figure front-end software engineering job at my dream company about 5 weeks after graduating! What's more, I got in touch with this company directly through Bloc/Thinkful's careers team who gave us our initial introduction. I can whole-heartedly say that I would not have landed this job had it not been for the amazing careers team and all of their hard work, as well as everything the course taught me. The curriculum's in-depth review of many different relevant topics and technologies, as well as the continuous mock interviews, had me well prepared and well equipped for my job search after graduation. Before signing up with Bloc, I did a lot of research into schools (including Flatiron and General Assembly) and have zero regrets about my decision. Bloc/Thinkful is a top-notch school with a fantastic curriculum and I could not recommend this course more highly for anyone, regardless of coding experience.
  • Good curriculum
    - 8/19/2020
    Ben Sumser  User Photo
    Ben Sumser • Systems / Data Analyst • Graduate Verified via GitHub
    The reason that I signed up for the course was because I had been self teaching for about two years and I realized that, like most things in life, you don't know what you don't know and so guiding that education became difficult. I realized that I would need industry standard guidance and mentorship. I was happy with the various technologies that I was introduced to and taught.

Like any other education you get, anywhere, it is up to you to learn, to be eager, and to seek out the best understanding you can achieve. Bloc is not different; they aren't going to force feed you. Sure, there is a curriculum and graded assignments, but so much of the meat of the course is in between these things, e.g. not just finishing an assignment, but actually understanding what it is you did, not opening the course material in one window to solve the problems in another window. Obviously using the course material is how you learn and referencing them is good, but it is up to you when you are proficient/comfortable, not Bloc.

My mentor was amazing, he helped me out in between sessions, we had a great dialogue, and I really benefited from his experience and expertise.

On the other hand, the grading of the assignments was often lackluster. I would submit a project I had spent over a month on and it would get a "Great job! Keep up the good work!" and that was it. Even when I do well I really wanted constructive criticism, which I often did not get. The worst case of this was when one assignment was graded and failed because the grader thought I was another student who had already submitted this assignment previously and hadn't listened to any of his feedback.

I used the experience and skills I learned in this course to land a job as a Systems / Data Analyst on a government project. It isn't a 1 to 1 use of the skills I learned at Bloc, but the back end things I learned are immediately relevant and I work with the front end team too, so I am able to move forward in my career.

Bottom line, the experience got my foot in the door. If that is what you want, then this CAN be used to get there, but it will still be up to you!
  • Bloc Graduate!
    - 8/7/2020
    Sunny • Graduate
    I just graduated from the Bloc Web Developer Track and must say I really loved it!  I really feel like I learned and a lot and I had lots of encouraging people along the way.  The program has mini-interviews to take that test your knowledge and the people who interview them are very helpful and knowledgeable about the material.  I got very lucky and had an awesome mentor named Tom who was really encouraging along the way.  He was also very smart and knowledgeable and he was the master at debugging!  He was also very patient and spent extra time as needed at times.  I do have some background on programming and must say if you have no experience this will be challenging.  I do recommend perhaps taking other side lessons to enhance what you are learning if you have no experience at all.  Also, the curriculum does contain a lot of reading which sometimes does get boring at times, but if you are more of the reading type and follow along and pay attention to detail (good developer qualities) you should do fine in this program.  I really feel the curriculum does have a lot of best practices and does provide better techniques than searching for solutions on Google or stack overflow.  The backend stuff was towards the end of the program and I felt was more rushed but great to learn!  There were office hours that are great for troubleshooting or just asking questions when the material gets tough but sometimes they were crowded and it was hard to get some time in.  I found my mentor to be the best source of help so if you feel you do not have a good one, I would perhaps ask to change mentors.  They created a new chat system towards the end of my time there and I think it's a great idea if it works well, I cannot say because I, unfortunately, did not get a chance to use it before graduating.  They already have a slack group which is great and has many peers that follow and help. There are a few career/job finding tasks along the way, and you develop your portfolio on the way (which is great!).   After finishing all the coursework, and graduating you meet with career services.  I am waiting to take the next step with career services so will see how that goes.  So far, it seems the response is a bit slower than at the beginning of the program.  From my experience, they would respond immediately at the beginning, sometimes within a few hours or the next day, but towards the end, it has been 2 or 3 days, but that could also be because they are getting a bit busier due to the pandemic.  Overall I learned a lot from this program and loved the experience, would highly recommend if you are the type that wants to learn new skills, hardworking, detail-oriented, and are looking for some encouragement!

Bloc Outcomes

77% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 23% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 40 graduates included in report:

93% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here