bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.62

all (473) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Alexander Vela • Student

Hi, I am a Bloc student who is currently 4 months into the Web Dev Track with Bloc and I am at about 66% completion. Learning a new skill is never easy, and I started Bloc with absolutely ZERO coding experience. So when you're told their curriculum can and will be diffcult, you can believe them! But with those challenges come learning oppertunities and chances to deepen your understanding. The curriculum thus far has been challenging but rewarding, and I've truly enjoyed learning an entirely new skill. As long as you are willing to commit the time and effort, I believe anyone can excel with Bloc. Even if you are struggling, you can feel confident that their mentors, techincal coaches, and success team will be ready to assist you along your journey.

• Cindy Young  User Photo
    Cindy Young • Freelance Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I’ve been working as a print designer for many years, and for many years, I’ve been wanting to expand my skills to pivot to web and mobile design. Bloc has given me the structure and mentor support to realize this goal.

The program has a flexibility and nimbleness baked right in. I’ve seen the program expand to include new methods of teaching content, including invaluable daily sessions that can be attended live, or viewed as recordings. The Design Program Director is accessible to students with a daily design critique, and there’s a growing library of recorded technical sessions to help deepen understanding.

And student support happens through multiple channels: there’s a slack channel where students can learn from each other and from industry professionals who are mentoring students, daily online sessions, and weekly mentor sessions.

• Amy Witt  User Photo
    Amy Witt • Product Designer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

Enrolling in Bloc's Designer Track was on of the best decisions I've ever made. The curriculum was challenging but intentional and I never felt like I was wasting time, and the feedback from senior designers was incredibly valuable as well. My mentor sessions twice a week were rich with feedback both on my work at Bloc and support for getting a job, and the group sessions that began about halfway through my Bloc tenure both pushed my designs to the next level and helped me feel like part of the Bloc community even though the program was 100% online.

I felt prepared for success in a design career and spoke to designers in the field with confidence - I got a job offer at a fantastic company about two months before I finished the program. My manager has been impressed not only with the high quality portfolio Bloc helped me build, but also the skills I acquired through Bloc. I am proud to be an alumni of this top notch program and highly recommend to anyone looking for a quality education with the flexibility of an online program.

• Kelli Landry  User Photo
    Kelli Landry • Quality Assurance Engineer • Student Verified via LinkedIn

I'm currently enrolled in Bloc's Web Development Track. Thus far, it's been very challenging, but very rewarding. Bloc definitely keeps up with the industry. I was referred to Bloc by a co-worker who completed the program a year ago. I was very interested, and when he told me what he learned, I was definitely impressed. When I enrolled, I noticed it had changed, but for the better. Bloc will help you learn by building projects, and you will be meeting with a mentor once a week. This has definitely helped. You can talk to a real person about what you're struggling with. They have many resources like live group sessions where you can learn about the concepts in a more hands on environment. If you're stuck on an assignment, Bloc utilitizes Slack so you can communicate exactly what you're stuck on. They have live coaches that are there to guide you through those challenges. It has been a great experience thus far. They also foster self-study. You will have to Google and Stack Overflow things, but that's what developers do anyway. I like how it's structured, and thus far, I've been very satisfied with my experience and have recommended it to several of my co-workers.

• Adan Amarillas • Software Engineer • Graduate
    Some facts:
    Completed software developer track from Sep 2017 to Jun 2018 (10 months) at a full-time (~50hrs/week) pace.
    Had 3 years of programming experience as a Mechanical Engineer prior to enrolling in Bloc.

Bloc provides you with a great structure to speed up your learning and progress towards a software engineering job. They are not going to teach you anything that you can't already find online for free. However, the value from Bloc comes from having a structured curriculum that lays down boundaries of how much learning is enough for a junior developer. In addition, Bloc mentors are a good resource to help you develop best practices and give you a glimpse of what software engineering looks like. The quality of mentors varied quite a bit. Some mentors were truly committed and invested in my success. Others, not so much. But, Bloc gives you the opportunity to switch mentors whenever you need to. Most importantly for me, was their tuition reimbursement guarantee. This is great peace of mind, specially since you are paying a substantial amount in hopes of a job. The newly-added certification process is great. It exposes you to the natural pressures and anxiety that comes with interviewing in a comfortable and friendly setting where everyone involved wants you to succeed. If you work hard during the program, you shouldn't have a difficult time completing the certification. After graduating, the career success team will help you and guide you through the job search process. They do a great job at giving specific feedback for your particular situation and needs.
  • Great choice!
    - 7/10/2018

I'm a design student with Bloc and I'm very glad I decided to take this course.  They've taught me things that I wouldn't have thought to learn myself, like tons of design software, color psychology, step-by-step coding, logo design, and so much more. The feedback I get on my assignments and the online technical coach assistance has been a huge help for me, along with weekly mentor appointments. I'm only about halfway through and I feel like I've learned so much! Plus, there's a scholarship for women so let's get coding ladies!

• Bryan • Student

When I signed up for Bloc's Front-End Dev Course, there were so many good reviews here on Course Report, I thought it must be due to having an amazing curriculum. Having been through the program, I think what's actually happening is that whenever they send feedback surveys to enrolled students they look for respondents who are having a 100% positive experience, and just invite those students to post here.

Most of the students with whom I spoke in the program were disassistfied with Bloc, many quite upset at the poor program design.

I recently finished the Bloc curriculum and am now setting up to look for work. I cannot believe that they expect us to feel ready to apply for jobs at this point in our development.

The curriculum appears to be largely designed to ship you through as fast as possible so that you have a cookie-cutter portfolio (your portfolio will likely look exactly like what all the other students' portfolios look like) and try to rush you into a job. Hopefully, in the job, you can get paid to keep learning...

If you're already living in a major metropolis, this might work? Maybe?

For those of us who are supposed to move to a metropolis, or find work remotely, it's completely unrealistic to think that the skill set we have at completion would be enticing to a potential employer.

Within the curriculum, they are too ambitious with building their own curriculum and don't spend enough time explaining basic concepts. For every idea that they mention, there's dozens that they just throw at you and expect you to "mind read" to understand. For example, the .prototype. and .__proto__. aspects of JS, the GET/POST aspects of HTML, what a Router is, and how to build an app. All of those ideas are just handed to you as a template, with little explanation, and then when you don't understand what's going on later... it must have been you, the student, who just didn't get it.

The latter mentors I dealt with were okay, but I had some big issues with a few of them. One of them skipped meetings and blamed it on me, and another just dumped meeting with me as he was quitting the job. To the administration's credit, they tried to make amends, and I do appreciate that. The latter few mentors I had were quite good, although the weekly meetings were so short, we were always rushing to try to cover my questions.

What would be better is if they stopped trying to write their all of their own curriculum from scratch, utilized some quality textbooks to get some basics down, and then used the freed time that would allow to restructure their curriculum. They should instead focus on getting students to be able to conceptually repeat basic concepts without having to read instructions or follow step-by-step tutorials. They really need to hire someone with a master's degree in curriculum/instructional design.

Since finishing, I've had to buy three textbooks and three Udemy courses, just to put together my first self-created portfolio piece. It took an extra two months of full-time (40+ hrs/week) individual study just to put together a basic web app, and I'm not sure that Bloc's curriculum was all that helpful.

The only thing that really was helpful from Bloc was to get an idea into current practices, and get an overview of the topics we're supposed to cover.

Is that worth the $8K/9K that they're asking.

No. No, no, no, no, no.

Here's all you really need to know: If you're doing JavaScript for the front end, there's a few topics you need to cover.

Study basic JavaScript. Just get your hands on lots of textbooks and go through them from front to back.

Then, once you've got basic JavaScript down, there's a few routes you can take. There are different aspects to the "front end" of development, and they tend to fall into acronyms for whatever you specialize in.

MERN is a popular one. It stands for MongoDB (a database system that's fairly popular, as it doesn't use the complicated SQL language), Express.js (a framework that goes between Mongo and Node), React.js (a framework that is active within your browser, helping you see things quickly), and Node.js (the JavaScript-built framework that helps you interact with your database).

There's also PERN, where the P stands for PostgreSQL. This is gaining in popularity, as MongoDB is universally hated in the development world, despite its usefulness.

If you just go through Amazon text books, Udemy courses, Lynda.com, and then go to intermittent workshops every now and then to get feedback from experienced professionals, I honestly think you'd get the same result, but without having to shell out thousands of dollars.

Another thing worth mentioning: The gold rush for web and front-end development is kind of over. The industry is now overloaded with cheap talent. You can still do it and get paid, but you won't find as many desperate clients as there were several years ago, when all this stuff was built.

If you're looking for a computer skill set that's extremely in demand, you might consider Python and TensorFlow, for their Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning potential. Many of the web coding Bootcamps are now consolidating in the web field, due to the change in the industry, and expanding into the data/machine-learning space.

Good luck!

• Great decision!
    Elena
    Bloc was one of the best decisions I've ever made. They've taught me so much that I certainly wouldn't have thought to learn if I was self taught. Of course they go very in depth on using Figma, Sketch, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, and so much more. The feedback I get on my submissions is invaluable, and being able to ask questions on Slack is a game changer. Trying to Google answers is a nightmare but having one on one help for 12 hours a day is making my education relatively low stress and fun! They've helped me grow as a designer and I have nothing negative to say. There's also a scholarship for women, so sign up ladies!!!
  • So Helpful!
    Elena • Student
  • So Helpful!
    Elena • Student
  • Ali Jokbengboon • Student

So great so far! I am a month in and havent had a single complaint. Your road map to success is structured well and convenient to follow. I love that you can do school on your own time. Mentors are super helpful and down to earth. I look forward to everything the program has to offer!

• Nshan • Graphic Designer • Student

A bit of background first; I've been a designer for quite some time now, however having mainly a focus based in print, branding & logo design, I've been wanting to shift my focus more into digital products. I initially did some research on ux/ui courses and found that Bloc would provide the most value for me (with the addition of Frontend development available through their Designer Track program). There were a few other schools I looked into as well (general assembly, ucla ux/ui [in person program]), however I felt that Bloc fit my busy schedule best. Allowing me to work on my assignments at my pace helps me better balance my 9-5 job and home life and still get my assignments completed. The one thing that I do not like about Bloc is that they do not offer more flexible time limits on their programs. While it IS self paced, at the entry price, you have 8 months to finish the Designer Track. So in terms of value, if you are full time employed, be sure you can make enough time to complete the course in that time limit. You can "purchase" additional time, however this can get expensive so make sure you thoroughly check the sylabus and ensure that you can complete the course in time.

The course itself is amazing. I have a lot of experience in design, however I find each checkpoint to offer new knowledge or challenges that help me grow a a designer. So the course is great for beginners and experienced designers as well. Bloc offers a lot of "face to face" time with mentors and students as well through resources like their Slack channel, seminars and daily design reviews. Support is always there when you need it, which is great! The one piece of advice I can give new students is to make sure to plan ahead, even though this is a self paced course, it is good to set your own goals and make sure you meet them so that you do not fall behind. So far my experience has been amazing, I highly recommend Bloc if you are looking to make a career change or to pick up some new skills in the UX/UI field.

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here