bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.62

all (472) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (50) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner SkillsFund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge
  • Sami Birnbaum  User Photo
    Sami Birnbaum • Ruby on Rails Developer • Graduate Verified via LinkedIn

I guess you could say I am now on the other side.

I finished the web developer track 4 months ago and things could genuinely not have been better!

I was lucky to secure a job the day after I finished my course, not only this but the company were so impressed that I was able to command the highest junior salary.

I have now been working at the same company for 4 months and I love it. I work remotely and am building some really cool projects.

It is incredible to think that before I started with bloc I knew ZERO about coding or about how the internet works.

But the course was genuinely incredible, I learnt so much and everything was practical down to helping me secure a job.

My mentor was great and I still keep in touch with him!

Moreover, at times when I was struggling on the course, as well as my mentor, the student success team were such great help and when I was freaking out about jobs the careers team were always on hand.

Living in London and a different timezone was completley fine and I was surprised about how easy it was to schedule a video call with anyone from Bloc.

I highly recommend Bloc, they are a great team of people doing the right thing!

• Anonymous  User Photo
    Anonymous Verified via LinkedIn

I have enjoyed my experience with Bloc so far! I am a little over 5 months into my program in the Web developer track. It has been VERY challenging (they aren't kidding when they say it is hard!) but very rewarding and I have enjoyed learning a new skill. I haven't began applying for jobs but am eager to start that soon. The career team has been fantastic in prepping me for this, as they have helped me review my resume, conducted mock interviews, etc.

My favorite aspect of the program has been that they have pushed me to network. I didn't think an online school would be able to do that, but they REALLY pushed my bounderies which was able to connect me with a great coding support group as well as make other great industry connections. Additionally, there is always tech support available as well as mentors, who have been great to work with as well.

I am excited for next steps and look forward to the job application process soon!

• Very happy so far!
    - 10/7/2018
    Rivka Bar • Student

I am taking the design track at Bloc, and I am very happy so far!  The course is thorough, the team helps you stay on top of your work in a positive way, giving very specific and constructive critique on my work.

They have a ton of extra resources that help you learn to intuitively think, talk, and feel like a more experienced designer, like daily design critiques and other "extracurricular classes" you can join.

So far Bloc's Design Track has been a solid, professional, and thorough course.  Very happy I chose them for UX/UI design!

In regards to the negative Bloc review because of an Amazon gift card incentive, this doesn't even come from Bloc, it's an incentive given by the review site to anyone who reviews ANY of the schools - and there are about 40 of them.  Has nothing to do with Bloc, and it's a perfectly acceptable thing of them to do...reviews are a very helpful way to decide on a school, and they never asked the review to be positive.

• Brian  User Photo
    Brian • Student Verified via LinkedIn

When I first started my search for the ideal program, Bloc was always the one that stood out to me. It fit my criteria for being remote and providing the things that I felt were important. I used Course Report and SwitchUp as guides to show me what other applicants, students, and graduates thought of the program. Bloc had a lot of positive reviews so that was a big reason as to why I thought this would be right for me. I was wrong. About two to three months into the program I recieved an email from someone at Bloc asking me to write a review. I was asked to write a review on Course Report or SwitchUp, good or bad, in exchange for a gift card to Amazon. I was really shocked when this happened because that made me worried for several reasons. It made me wonder how many other people this has happened to and it also made me wonder how many reviews on these two websites are actually legit? I don't think this would have been as issue if the curriculumn offered in the program was actually worthwhile. It was valuable information, but you could easily find it for free on many websites. I guess I'm just trying to give a warning to other students not to trust the reviews on this website or SwitchUp for Bloc. I'm very upset with my experience and the way things turned out.

• Kristin • Student

The Bloc program states it's for beginners and even claims that if you have no previous knowledge of coding that you will learn the fundamentals. This is by no means a program for a beginner, let alone a novice. I personally alreadly had some previous experience with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript and struggled to follow their very thin lesson plans. Regardless, I'm a good online learner. I've achieved two degrees already predominately that way, both BS degrees with one in Psychology and the other in Pre-Med. I have no problem learning from an online system, however, when the documentation and lesson plans are confusing and not very informational, the courses become a lot more work than neccessary. I learned more from searching information on my own than I did from this program, and when I googled for more information most of the time I found the exact same information Bloc had given me on a W3Schools page. They had literally copied over all the information, so I paid for something that I could have gotten for free. The other issue I had was the lack of clarity and no emphasis on real world coding practice . All of the assessments had you making things you wouldn't in the real world and the constanly used the term 'foo' to name variables. I made it all the way through the second module and determined this program with the lack of clarity and real world experience as well as the mentor's lack of help and tardiness made me determine this wasn't a program for me. It's a lot of money for copied over, rehased information. Do yourself a favor and try to do this on your own first or look into a more in depth program, because this program still has a lot of kinks to work out. It's unfortunate because I had a lot of high expectations of this program from reviews I've seen, but I never had the experience that others have stated they had. I thought it may have just been the first, second module and then I kept going on, wasting money, but really the whole program is just not up to par. I unfortunately don't see how anyone could be prepared after taking this program.

• Amanda Lilley

My background is in knitwear design. After a few years of learning to code as a side hobby I decided that programming is something that I really enjoy and want to delve deeper into. I spent a couple years working through Code Acadamy, Skillcrush, Udemy, and LinkedIn courses. I was comfortable writing HTML, CSS, and creating static websites. I decided to make a career change and knew that I would need a mentor moving forward.

I contacted Bloc, explained that I would like to pursue frontend development and that I had an idea that I would like to develop. I was guided towards the Design track and ensured that the Design Track offered enough frontend skills to qualify me as a frontend developer while teaching me the design skills I would need to bring my idea to life.

I registered and cleared my calendar so that I could be fully invested in my learning. I was extremely dedicated and excited and saw the program through until the end.

Mentorship:

The experience with my mentor was great. We had weekly meetings where he answered questions, shared resources, and gave me feedback on my designs. I definitely picked up a few design skills and have gained a sharper eye for design.

Bloc:

The student dashboard is misleading. There are three modules to work through 1.Design Fundamentals, 2.Design Foundations, 3.Frontend Foundations. After you complete the modules there are 7 projects that are shown as disabled. As you complete each step of a project it is highlighted and checked. The final student portfolio counting as 1 of the 7 projects. The reality is that I only completed 3 projects (one being my portfolio). This was not because I fell behind, I was ahead of time throughout the course. There just simply is not time to complete the projects that are shown in the dashboard. I never did have time to even start my Capstone project (the initial reason for signing up for Bloc).

My biggest take away after completing the Design Track is the Design Process. Bloc has taught me how to breakdown the steps of the design process for any project as well as how to present the problem and solution that my design is solving. The resource links for each lesson were often outdated and linked to non-proprietary content. I managed to develop my portfolio by taking Udemy courses and using the time with my mentor to answer questions.

Develpment:

The actual frontend development portion of the Design Track was a complete waste of time. To pass this section students are required to build a Bloc Jams music app. It was extremely difficult to learn as most of the code is given to you to copy and paste and you lose context as to how and why things are working. If students were instead reqired to use one of their own designs and write the code to get their own design functioning, so much could be gained from this portion of the course. sadly, that was not the case.

Structure:

There was a lot of change taking place during my time with Bloc. The way that students communicate and post questions was changed midway through the course causing a lot of confusion and students posting questions in the wrong place. We started the design program learning Sketch and midway through the program switched to Figma.

Career Support:

The career support team is very on point. They were quick to follow up and always available to share tips and resources. The problem is that I simply do not have the job skills necessary for frontend development. Bloc has since been aquired by Thinkful. A Thinkful representative reached out to me to address my concerns. I was given a $10 Amazon gift card and offered 4 sessions with a Bloc dev mentor.

After speaking with the dev mentor and sharing my goals I have been instructed to go and learn Vue.js and get back in touch. So I am once again taking Udemy courses trying to learn the frontend foundations that I need for an entry level job.

During my sign off meeting with Bloc I was told that my portfolio is alright - not great- but alright.

My honest review of my experience with Bloc:

Meh, it's alright - Not great - just alright.

Definitely not worth the time I invested or the $9k+ pricetag. Not even close.

• Menachem • UX Designer • Student

This is very honest review. I was pretty nervous to try Bloc, Im a social person and by nature not one who likes the idea of sitting on my computer all day or taking online classes (college really gives those a bad rep, I know). I did a TON of research on bootcamps because I had a friend who had taken one and got screwed (i.e. didn't learn anything) so I called every bootcamp I heard of or found to learn about what really went on - and surprisingly, many of the in-person bootcamps were low on the rankings. I have to say I was surprised, but after dong all that research I chose Bloc and it has been amazing, They really figured out how to make online learning stimulating and enjoyable. One of the things I was told but only realized how big of a difference it makes once I started is the fact that you have Mentors grading your work within 24 hours (which is amazing because the constant feedback keeps you motivated to get better) and the Slack Channel is SUPER active - which is super encouraging because its as if you have the teacher at your service whenever you have a question. Lastly, the curriculum is structured really well and gives you a really great understanding of the PROCESS behind UX Design -- which in my opinion pays off more than learning how to make "dope" and "minimalist" designs because it means you actually know what you're doing and can EXPLAIN  why you're doing it - something that's super important once you start to have clients who have no clue what a wireframe or user stories are and just "want an app asap". So yeah, who knew.

• Hannah S. • Student

I am enrolled in the Designer track at Bloc. When I graduated from Michigan State University this past May, I knew I wanted to dive into UX Research & Design as a career, but the program at MSU was newly being developed and left me missing a lot of crucial necessities to make it in the design world.

I'm a bit over. a month in, and I could not be happier that I decided to start this program. It is challenging, but I can really tell how much I am learning. Every day I am surprising myself - between finding interest in things like Typography, and overall just gravitating towards concepts I'd never considered studying - I am very happy with the way this program goes together.

My mentor is extremely helpful, and she really has helped me in assignments, in understanding concepts, and has helped me fuel my mind to think of ideas and other UX-related things I can do outside of Bloc.

I'm really excited about how Bloc is and will continue to help me in the future. Every resource with this program holds value, and with every assignment I do, I can tell how much I really am learning.

• Designer Track
    - 9/5/2018
    Katelyn Michalove  User Photo
    Katelyn Michalove • Student Verified via GitHub

I am currently enrolled in the Designer Track at Bloc. I have already learned so much related to UX Design, Visual Design, and Front End Development.

When I go to local meetups for design I used to always be hesitant since I have only been doing bloc for 2 months. I thought I wouldn't know enough to participant or even have a conversation.

In fact it turned out I had already learned all the topics covered in meetup presentations. When talking to others that wanted to break into the design industry, I felt so well equipped for my future job search. I knew all of the topics, theories, practices, and even lingo.

All that's really left is to keep implementing these skills, receive feedback, and develope my portfolio.

I am so highly impressed with the content taught by bloc. I love the 'set your own pace' concept. This allows me to take a pause with topics that I find challenging to make sure I understand them before moving on.

I can't wait to continue to learn and eventually seek out my first opportunity in the design industry.

• Nicholas James  User Photo
    Nicholas James • Student • Verified via LinkedIn

I have been a retail manager for over a decade now and decided that it was time for a career change lest I get stuck in this role for the rest of my life so I did some research and stumbled onto Bloc. I applied for and got a $2000 much needed scholarship which really helped me out.  I'm not finished the course yet but it is fantastic so far. There is always someone to ask for help when you get stuck and they start preparing you for job hunting from the beginning. I would strongly recommend Bloc to anyone thinking of a career change.

• Alexander Vela • Student

Hi, I am a Bloc student who is currently 4 months into the Web Dev Track with Bloc and I am at about 66% completion. Learning a new skill is never easy, and I started Bloc with absolutely ZERO coding experience. So when you're told their curriculum can and will be diffcult, you can believe them! But with those challenges come learning oppertunities and chances to deepen your understanding. The curriculum thus far has been challenging but rewarding, and I've truly enjoyed learning an entirely new skill. As long as you are willing to commit the time and effort, I believe anyone can excel with Bloc. Even if you are struggling, you can feel confident that their mentors, techincal coaches, and success team will be ready to assist you along your journey.

Bloc Outcomes

97% of students intended to seek in-field employment within 180 days of graduating. 3% of students did not intend to seek in-field employment.Below is the 180 Day Employment Breakdown for 65 graduates included in report:

98% of job obtainers reported salaries. 0% of job obtainers were hired by the school itself.

Read the full Bloc CIRR Jobs Report here