bloc-logo

Bloc

Bloc

Bloc is an online coding bootcamp that incorporates 1-on-1 mentorship to prepare each student for a career as a professional software engineer or UX/UI designer. Bloc's apprenticeship approach is tailored specifically to each student's learning needs. In the Web Developer Bootcamp, the curriculum is centered around frontend JavaScript and students can choose whether to learn Ruby on Rails or server-side JavaScript with Node. Bloc’s project-based curriculum is written by expert curriculum developers and vetted by their advisory board comprised of hiring managers. Students work with mentors 1-on-1 to clarify concepts, pair program, and build a portfolio of sites that will demonstrate job readiness as a professional software engineer. Not everyone can quit their job or move to a new city for a bootcamp, so Bloc has designed a comprehensive bootcamp with this in mind. Students can enroll full-time, or complete the program at a part-time pace. Bloc also offers 80 hours per week of real-time access to an experienced developer to answer any questions students may have.

No prior development experience is required to enroll in Bloc, but a strong desire to learn and take on challenges will be important in each student's success! Bloc has a 100% acceptance rate, but is looking for students who are driven, hard-working, and ready to learn.

Career readiness is important to Bloc- their flagship Track programs include job preparation material and career prep workshops. Mentors will help students put together a portfolio and prepare technical interview questions. When ready, students work with the Career Support team to navigate the job search process with an individualized game plan and exposure to Bloc's Employer Network.

Recent Bloc Reviews: Rating 4.67

all (442) reviews for Bloc →

Recent Bloc News

Read all (48) articles about Bloc →
  • Design Track

Bloc's Designer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready designers. Designer Track offers the only holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow designers to support you. Over 90% of senior designers say designers need to know how to code in today's market. You'll study the Design Process in depth, including UX research, visual design, AND frontend development. You'll also build real-life projects that will make up your portfolio. These skills combined with the Career Services curriculum will ensure that you are the most competitive candidate on the market. After you complete the program, you'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Designer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of finishing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full.
    Financing available through our partner Skills Fund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Scholarship$1 million Close the Gap scholarship fund dedicated to aspiring women in tech $500 partial diversity scholarships available $500 partial veterans scholarship available Visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track to learn more.
  • Web Developer Track

Bloc's Web Developer Track is an online, self-paced training program that enables career-minded adults with busy lives to go from beginner to job-ready developers. Web Developer Track offers a holistic learning regimen of skilled mentors, industry-vetted curriculum, gated assessments, and a community of fellow developers, with a proven 97% employment rate. You'll learn by completing real-life projects and completing self-guided checkpoints. For each checkpoint you finish, you'll receive feedback from a professional developer. You'll start off by learning frontend programming with HTML/CSS and React.js. You'll then focus on computer science fundamentals, where you'll learn about data structures and algorithms. You'll then move on to your server-side language, choosing either Ruby on Rails or JavaScript with Node.js. Finally, you'll pass a Job Ready Gate, which signifies to Bloc, hiring managers, and yourself that you are ready to get your first job as a developer. From day 1, you'll learn the fundamentals of how to frame and execute your job search with our Career Services curriculum checkpoints. You'll work with our world-class Career Services team to ensure you find a job. The Web Developer Track is backed by our Tuition Reimbursement Guarantee, which means that if you don't find a job within 180 days of completing the program, we will reimburse your tuition in full. To learn more, visit https://www.bloc.io/web-developer-track.
    Financing available through our partner, Skills Fund
    Tuition Plans$8,500 with payment plans available.
    Minimum Skill LevelBasic computer knowledge

• Great experience!
    - 12/6/2017
    Melissa

I have been at Bloc for a little over 1 Month. So far I find that it has been really rewarding. Not only am I learning fast and amazed at what I can do already but I am also being challenged everyday. I Would say it's a very tough program, with that being said you will will get a rewarding sensation everytime you complete a checkpoint.

• 1 Month Later
    - 11/19/2017
    Logan • Student

I always knew this was the career path that was right for me and when I was at college I was taking these types of classes but also all the other classes that would have no impact on my future or what I want to be when I enter the work world. I came across Bloc on countless of review websites and immediately knew it was right for me. Bloc is amazing. The mentors are always there to answer any questions that you have and when you have your meetings they go into detail of any questions you have on what you are doing to whatever part of programming that you are not learning. The community on Slack is awesome and will help you if you do not want to keep bothering your mentor with questions. I am currently in the Software Developer Track and I love the curriculum, I love the freedom, and I just love I made the right choice by choosing Bloc.

• Devon Burley

I have been about one month into the web developer track and the experience so far has been the best. The mentorship is by far my favorite thing about Bloc. When you are confused and second guessing yourself, your mentor is there to answer all questions you have. This is something that learning by yourself just cannot provide for you. The checkpoints and assignments are fun and challenging. The Bloc slack community always has interesting links for you to read. I would definitely recommend Bloc to others.

• John P Que • Engineer Drafter • Student

"Design, build, debug and maintain web applications. Additionally, architect databases, improve performance using algorithms, modify extensive code bases, and solve complex problems." Bloc Webpage.

I am in the second phase of my course and loving it. Bloc has been super responive and the material engaging. I have been finding it a great balance of difficult and career driven. The onboarding and quick responses are very profesional and helpful. I have been finding the mentors willing to go above and beyond what my expectations were for helping when I get stuck, suggesting different resources and being realistic.

• My Journey
    - 11/7/2017
    Will Larry • Student

I've been a part of Bloc's Software Development track for about a year now. I've always had a heart for computers, but I never had an opportunity to chase that dream. This was the first time that I was presented with the opportunity to dive into the Tech field.

At first, I was extremely skeptical. Bloc claimed that they could take me (someone who has never coded before) and take me on the path to building fully functional websites. Not only did they claim this, they guaranteed it. I can honestly say that I have a lot to learn, but I am excited with where I am for now.

Lastly, Bloc's program is heavily dependent on mentors. They give the students the freedom to choose their mentor that they would like to work with. I really enjoyed having someone to help me answer my questions and pair program with. This was the best method for me which may not be the best for everyone. My first mentor was not a good fit for me so I asked to be reassigned to another mentor. Bloc took care of this with no problem. I've had two mentors since then and they are amazing. I would recommend Wilson (Web Development Section) and Shannon (Software Development Section) without hesitation.

• JacquettaB • Student

I am currently enrolled in the Part-time Web Developer Track. This month will be 2 months since I started. I picked Bloc because there program provided many benefits such as one on one mentor meetings, option of F/T or P/T track, practice and quizzes to help student understand concepts of programming language.

What mainly attracted me to block is having a mentor that can help me when I don't understand a concept. The mentor I have right now is Carrie who is helpful and breaks coding problems down and makes it easier for me to get it.

Bloc curriculum makes me stay on track and gives me the motivation to keep going even when I feel stuck or uncertain. I would definetly recommend Bloc to others.

• BIlly • Student

The pace and structure of the courses work well and give me the flexibility to stay at my current job, and learn the material in a way that lands well with me. What also works is that my mentor is always available to help me and shows an interest in making me succeed.

• Web Design Track
    - 10/29/2017
    Jerry Hoglen • Store Brand Leader • Student

I am currently enrolled in the Bloc Web Design Track at Bloc. I'm about 30% done with the program so far on the 36 week track. I don't normally write reviews but I felt I needed to because Bloc has already had an amazing impact on my learning. I completed a full stack web developer bootcamp through another popular online program and when I finished I realized that I needed to continue learning to even come close to switching careers. I think some bootcamp programs create this belief that after a few months you will have all the training and knowledge to become a designer or developer. This was not the case at all. What I did realize was that I knew I wanted to continue to learn and pursue my dreams and that's when I found Bloc. It's not a bootcamp, It's an apprenticeship that pairs you with a one on one mentor that works very closely with you on a day to week basis. I have been challenged so much during this process so far and know that when I complete this program I will have the skills and confidence to make the change I've been wanting.

• Chris • Student

I graduated with a bachelor's in Poltical Science about a little over a year ago, with the intent of going to law school and pursuing a career in law. However, as my time out of school passed while I was studying for the LSAT, I began to have doubts whether or not this actually was the career choice I wanted, and if I would truly be satisfied with this years later.

Many nights I found myself unable to sleep, dreading that if I were to simply ignore my doubts and continue on to law I would regret that decision and curse myself for doing so. I was extremely hesitant to make any sort of movement to find out whether or not law was comfortable with me, and it wasn't until many pushes from a friend that I began to learn code; however I found myself struggling with it tremendously.

It was then that I started to look more into UI/UX Design, and took a free intro course on coursera. Upon completing it, I discovered that this was a career I would enjoy, and was something I genuinely felt interested to learn more about. I contacted a Bloc student advisor, and after an extremely informative and helpful conversation, I realized that Bloc was the course that would lead me to eventually reach my goal of becoming a designer.

I started the Designer track just a little over 2 months agao, and I feel extremely satisfied with everything I've learned so far. The curriculum has been informative and I haven't had any trouble understanding the lessons as they are presented. The lessons are very interesting due to them introducing concepts, then asking you to apply those concepts to actual tasks for the assignments in order to prepare you for future designwork. My mentor has been extremely helpful so far as well, and I look forward to working with him more during my course.

While the prospect of getting a job is quite a ways away for me, I feel confident that if I apply myself with this course, then pursuing a job after I graduate will be a non issue.

• Sahej Sandhu • Student

Hi everyone. I had to drop a review for Bloc.io. These guys are awesome! I had no programming experience but I had heard about these online academies and thought that I should give it a try. I studied for 2 months and got excepted to AppAcademy(they only except 2.5% of all applicants so I was extremely excited). But, in less than 3 weeks I reallized that I was in way over my head. Places like AppAcademy are great but it's a completely different format than Bloc. The main difference being the pace. In these bootcamps if you fall behind you get left behind. For a guy new to programming and supporting a family this was a difficult task to achieve. The level of commitment and stress was much greater than I had anticipated. So, less than three weeks later I was enrolled in Bloc. WOW!!! What a difference. I could go as fast or as slow on any particular subject matter making sure I understood it before moving on. Infact the curriculum for Bloc is designed so that you can't move to the next module unless you've mastered the one you are on. Not only that!!! You get a personal Mentor! Any time I got stuck or just had questions that went off on tangents I could speak with my mentor. How can you go wrong with a setup like that. I have complete confidence that I'm going to become a Software Engineer now and at my own pace. Very professional! Top Notch Curriculum! Great Mentors!

• Travis • Student

Bloc is very well designed to teach you a large breadth and depth of subjects and to hold your hand along the way through mentorship.  There is a large component of creating your own portfolio of projects to showcase to employers, and also a large component of helping you apply to jobs.  The program even makes the learning fun with things like coding challenges.  Finally, I love the flexibility and part-time nature of the program I'm in.  This information is difficult to learn, and for me, 40 hours a week would be a lot.  I'm on the 20 hour per week track and that is ideal for me.

• Brianna Pizana • Student

I started the 40hr/wk designer track just over a month ago at Bloc; I am very impressed with what I've learned in such a short period. My mentor and I meet three times a week - he's never late, is always honest with me about how I can improve and on what I should focus. He responds to my skype messages within the day, and when he's not available, there is always a mentor on slack. No matter where you turn in this program, there is always someone willing to help you and whether it be with the course or with stress. While Bloc has incredible curriculum - the most up to date I've found. What makes me enjoy the course so much are the people, I always know there will be someone there for me if I need and that's hard to find anywhere else.

Not to mention their job guarantee (which is offered to everyone) giving them a little incentive on their end to continue being amazing (besides being wonderful people that want to help others).

• Andrew • Restaurant Manager • Student

I am currently a restaurant manager and was looking to make the switch to the tech world. I did research on TONS of online coding boot camps and chose Bloc because of it's flexibility with my busy work life. I am currently into module 2 and I have already learned so much!  The work is challenging, but rewarding.  The course teaches you the content you need to know to code, but also challenges you to find the answers through your own problem solving techniques.  My mentor has been a tremendous help and is always there to help guide me to solving the problem at hand without giving me the answer. I would highly recommend this program to anyone wanting to get into the coding world. I can't wait to see where it takes me!

• Josh Penrod • Student

I spent nearly nine months researching and comparing programs in the dev bootcamp and online learning space. At the end of that research, I chose Bloc, and was able to convince my company to support me and two colleagues with serious financial aid to go through Bloc's Designer track program.

Now, I'm six weeks in. And I truly can't say enough good things about the Bloc experience.

Bloc has crafted a model that's as good as I've ever seen for learning, well, anything! The secret sauce to Bloc's success? It's really not all that secret. It's just smart.

Bloc's engages students by calling on nearly all the major learning styles — learn by seeing (visual), learn by hearing (auditory), learn by doing (kinesthetic), learn by reading and writing. In addition, Bloc allows for learning through solitary exercises and social exercises. Here, in short, is how they do it:

Curriculum dashboard: Students get access to a curriculum roadmap that clearly shows what's ahead and how long it should take to get there. Real-time progress tracking lets students know whether they're staying on track to complete the program at the recommended pace.

Weekly lessons: Each lesson is well writen, well researched and comes with a ton of hyperlinked examples, screenshots, occasional videos and other resources. I learn best by printing out my weekly reading, highlighting and marking up printouts, then re-reading them and their hyperlinked resources online before starting on that lesson's assignment.

Weekly assignments: These are the companion pieces to the weekly lessons that allow students to learn by doing. These are a ton of fun.

Relationships with dedicated mentors: At the start of each major phase of a student's chosen program track, students select a mentor -- someone who is well-versed in the curriculum and who puts the curriculum's tenets into practice every day as a professional. Students and mentors engage in problem-solving conversations via weekly video chats as well as email and Slack messages. Mentors may be the single biggest key as to why this program works so well. Not only do they champion students through moral support, but they offer a ton of technical support.

A community built for learning: While the four pillars above (course dashboard, weekly lessons, weekly assignments and mentors) comprise the core of its ecosystem, Bloc uses Slack and Facebook groups to faciliate community learning and resource sharing. Hit a serious obstacle? Reach out to the Bloc-osphere — made up of active mentors, students, program directors and alumni — to help punch through. Curious as to what software, frameworks or web apps are the right ones for a task at hand? Cast a net to see if anyone else has tried out some of the candidates you're considereing.

Support system: In addition to the community of learners, Bloc offers a dedicated support staff to help students navigate payment structures, scholarship and tuition reimbursements, logistics and lots more.

Career support: Bloc does everything it can to prepare students to land a job in fields directly related to their learning tracks, including: portfolio reviews, resume and cover letter reviews, job search planning consultation, mock interviews and personal networking opportunities.

Ongoing curriculum and program evaluation: Bloc has built its business for the longhaul. It consistently offers students opportunities to share how Bloc can make its program better. And it routinely consults with world-class technology companies to determine how Bloc's graduates can be even better prepared to thrive in the real world.

I could go on, but I'll simply say this — if you're looking for a one-stop shop for true learning and/or career transition as a developer or front-end designer, Bloc's program is as close to "one-stop" as you're going to find.

• Designer Track
    - 10/6/2017
    Chris • Student

I was initially hesitant about joining an online school because it's just not what I'm used to, having been in on-campus studios for eight years and learning that way. After someone recommended this program, I signed up and have had a great experience ever since. My mentor Hovsep is an attentive and thorough instructor and addresses any concerns I might have. The student success team, along with the folks on Slack, allow me to access resources upon request or a quick search. If you are a dedicated student, Bloc has you covered.

• Brayden Aldrich • Student

I have really enjoyed Bloc so far. My mentor is incredibly nice, helpful and knowledgeable. He always supplies me with a ton of outside information to either help me grasp a concept or learn more about things I’m interested in. I look forward to the meetings each week. The course is challenging, but it is an enjoyable challenge.

• Jamie • Associate Application Developer • Graduate

The curriculum is organized really well into checkpoints to help guide you along the course. Bloc gives you all the resources you need to learn. The only time I have trouble is when I am not focused myself to do all the steps and read the resources that they provide carefully.

• Great value
    - 9/23/2017
    Paul Hurrle • Student

A current student in Bloc's Part-Time Web Development track, I am really pleased with what I've experienced since beginning the program in June. I researched several bootcamps before ultimately choosing Bloc because of the promise of flexibility (100% online), support (mentoring), and career preparation (Job placement guarantee), all for a comparatively good value. Having very little programming background plus a full-time job and a family that demand so much of my time already, I was more than a little nervous that I would not be able to maintain progress or that I would lose motivation and quit. Fortunately, Bloc eased my anxiety in a number of ways, starting with an orientation experience where I got all my questions answered about the program, followed by mentor selection. I have to say that my front-end development mentor, Junior, was amazing! He made me feel so comfortable and gain confidence, responded super quick whenever I reached out for help, any day of the week, and pushed me to learn even more than what I would have through the curriculum alone. Junior helped me to power through during stretches where I hit a wall, never allowing me to feel stuck or alone for long. I don't know how I would have made it this far without him. The rest of the support staff have been great, too, promptly responding and resolving any issue that has come up along the way. I find the curriculum challenging, which I expected it to be, and I've learned how to research solutions and become more confident tackling problems that initially seemed impossible. In this student's opinion, Bloc is a great value for anyone with similar constraints of a job/family, who is serious about learning to become a web developer.

• wolfgang truong • Student

Before I tried any bootcamp I tried self teaching through free schools and it wasn't until I joined Bloc that I realized how little progress I was making on my own. compared to my friends who've done other bootcamps else where; Bloc sets you up for success and I feel confident saying that.

With their mentorship and portfolio building curriculum not only will you feel confident by the time you finish the course but you'll have dozens of projects to show for it.

• Marka R. • Student

I am wrapping up my fifth week in the part-time web development program. I cannot express how happy I am I chose Bloc.

1- My mentor is absolutely incredible. I always feel comfortable asking him questions and he is thorough enough for someone with no background in web development to fully understand the content. I leave our meetings motivated and feeling really good about what I’m working on!

2. The curriculum is perfect for my learning style. A good mix of visuals, practice, and reinforcement has been so helpful in retaining information week to week. It’s also a perfect pace for working full-time!!

3. When shopping around for a web development program, price is always a concern. This is hands down the best value out there. Plus, the interest-only option is what made this program possible for me!

I’m only a few weeks in, but I feel like I’ve already learned so much! I’m actually excited to come home from work every day and continue my learning with Bloc!

• Joseph Ripple • Student

Currently 8 weeks into the Software Developer Track (@ 15hrs/wk pace), and so far so good. I am coming into this program with very little to no coding experience, from the perspective of career change after already obtaining a BA.  I took a few codeacademy courses (HTML/CSS) prior to starting the program to help make the transition more smooth.

Going into the program, I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but everyone at Bloc was extremely helpful and supportive in the beginning phases of orientation.  Once I started the first Module and began working through everything, I started to see how well laid-out everything for the program is.  In the 8 weeks since I've started, there have already also been 2 updates to 2 of the modules, which is one of the best parts in my opinion.  Things are constantly changing in the tech world around us, so to be able to have access to a curriculum that is so adaptive is reassurring.  Addtionally, the mentorship is a very valuable aspect to going through this program.  As my only con is that the program can be quite difficult and challenging at times, which everyone at Bloc and all the testimonials attest to.

The farther that I am getting into the program the more excited I am becoming about what I'm learning and being able to put practical use to the skills I am learning throughout the process.

• Eric Ramirez • Student

I decided to join the Designer Track at Bloc and that's probably one of the best decisions I've made in my life.

EVERYONE is busy these days. Peronally, I have a full time job and a part-time job. Not to mention everyday responsibilities and activites.

Learning with Bloc has been at my pace, on my time, in the comfort of my home and/or office.

Could not be happier and I'm really looking forward to continuing my education with Bloc as  not only a UX/UI Designer but other areas of the field as well.

Can't speak highly enought about Bloc; ENROLL NOW!!!

• Naser Jamal Al-houti • Student

I'm on the Software Developer Track and almost done with the first module and this genuinely how I felt about the program so far.Right off the bat I'll let you know that this program is tough if you join this program without any prior programming experience  you will struggle, a good analogy of this would be learning Spanish or any other language for that matter you could learn it in a classroom and forget about it later on or you could visit the country and be forced to learn the language. this is what the Software Developer Track will make you go through.For example, in the first module, you are assigned to learn HTML CSS and JS.prior to taking this program I have spent two months learning HTML but in the program, they will expect you learn HTML and use it within the second week, which really enforces you to get into the habit of programming as oppose to doing it on and off.Secondly, the first thing you will learn in the SDT is terminal I had no prior experiences with terminal, and normally if I don't know something I would  watch a video on it, but when I started learning terminal on this program I ended up reading text and applying what they asked me to do (basically like reading a textbook) and that enforced me to google a lot of things I didn't know and that alone is what 80% of programmers do so it's a good habit to develop while you are in the program.The bottom line is this because it is an expensive program they will try to force you to learn as much information as possible in a short amount of time and by doing so if you survive the program you will be a much more suitable candidate than any other programmers who graduated from different boot camps.In other words, becoming a great programmer isn't easy so if you get into this program don't half ass it otherwise you won't even complete the first module.

• Gahee Heo • Graduate

I enrolled Full Stack dev course initially. I liked the curriculum and kept me going further so I transferred to Software Dev course. I learned rails, js, jquery, ajax, heroku, so many gems and so many more at Bloc.

Things I like about Bloc

- The curriculum is really great and thorough. And I love the projects that I can actually practice skills that I learn from Bloc. Later I got a job, I found these experiences are really, really helpful. I have CS degree but didn't learn the actual stuff that many companies are using in reality.

- My mentors are really really amazing. It was a really great experience to pair with senior developers. I learned so much from them. They were dedicated to help me improve skills. And very supportive specially when I was discouraged by challenges along the way.

- I can choose the learning pace. And I can pause for vacations. Sometimes I needed to have a break from coding. It was no problem to pause my program and then come back after fully charged.

- Great support team. They are so kind and supportive. Any questions or concerns about the program, they helped me promptly and continuously kept me updated until it's solved.

With the skills and knowledges that I gained from Bloc, I was able to work on a Rails project for some company on the side while taking the program even before I got a job.

As a junior developer now, I still need to learn. But Bloc helped me build the solid foundation and taught how to learn more.

Happy coding!

• Carlos Gomez • iOS Developer • Graduate

This is a great introduction to iOS and Objective-C, having no prior real world programming skills, i got enough skills to get an actual iOS dev job (entry level), very very quickly, strong foundations, and great mentorship.

I'd recommend this course to anyone interested in iOS!

Bloc has an acceptance rate of 100%, of which 100% of accepted students enroll in a course. Of the students who enroll at Bloc, 41% graduate. 73% are hired in technical roles within 120 days and report an average income of $65,411.

Matriculation Information

90 days

120 days

After 120 days

Employment Breakdown:

This chart shows the breakdown of roles for job-seeking graduates.

Bloc students reflected in this report as Enrolled are students who continued after 4 weeks of starting in the Part-Time Web Developer Track, Software Engineer Track, and Full Stack Track.

Read the verified report here: https://www.bloc.io/employment-and-completion-rates